Subject: SA1110 Kernel

From: Vasant Ramasubramanian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 09:14:06 -0500 (CDT)

For reasons that I don't want to get into, I wanted to know if someone
could send me a working SA1110 kernel, one that expects that the kernel is
placed @ the start of RAM (0xc0000000). I am not really concerned which
version of the kernel as long as it expects console on serial 3
(@9600) and boots on an SA1110.

Thanks,
Vasant.

P.S.
I assume the Zsolt K era RAMDISK should work?

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 16:08:35 +0100 (BST)

> (@9600) and boots on an SA1110.

No kernels which can be built out of either Nico's or my trees to run at
0xc0000000 will do anything useful - the kernel text segment will be
overwritten by the pagetables.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |            http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/            /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Nicolas Pitre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 13:00:40 -0400 (EDT)

> (@9600) and boots on an SA1110.

Why do you want the kernel to be at 0xc0000000?
What is your hardware actually?
Which bootloader do you use?
Did you modify the kernel source according to your architecture?

Unfortunately the reasons that you don't want to get into can't be
avoided with a single kernel binary.

Nicolas

---

From: Vasant Ramasubramanian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 12:30:09 -0500 (CDT)

> Why do you want the kernel to be at 0xc0000000?

Because the software person told me that's where it had to be ;). I was
under the impression that's where it went, my mistake. Looking at the BLOB
source, I see the KERNEL_RAM_BASE to be defined @ 0xc0008000, so perhaps
that's where it should be.

> What is your hardware actually?

Custom SA1110 hardware, not a commercially available product (yet).

> Which bootloader do you use?

A modified version of BLOB (it retains the location where images are place
in RAM so wherever LART needs them is where I would too).

> avoided with a single kernel binary.

Well the issue was that my toolchain was out of date (waaay out of
date) and lacking decent access at the moment I wanted to avoid large
downloads (20meg toolchain, 20+ kernel source, etc).

Our hardware almost boots a 2.2.12 kernel for which I used the LART
config. I get the "Uncompressing .." and then "Booting the kernel" but
nothing afterwards. Since I haven't altered the memory map I figured an
"off the shelf" kernel would function, am I wrong?

Also I wanted to know does the SA1110 JTAG Flash burner depend on any
Assabet specifics besides the obvious SA1110 + supported Flash part? I
tried the software(Linux executable) with cable I built with no success;
the JTAG Burner from Keith & Koep almost works but does not seem to
program the flash part. We are using a supported Flash part (The
StrataFlash 128J3).

Thanks,
Vasant.

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 19:27:14 +0100 (BST)

> "off the shelf" kernel would function, am I wrong?

No, its because the kernel doesn't support the SA1110 processor.
   _____

---

From: [email-masked] (Erik Mouw)
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 22:46:50 +0200 (CEST)

> "off the shelf" kernel would function, am I wrong?

Watch out with using the LART configuration. The LART has a bit
unusual memory layout in that it has holes in its memory banks (the
LART doesn't use A23 in bank 0 and 1). If your architecture has a
"normal" memory layout, you can get *very* strange results. If your
architecture has at least 4MB in each bank, you'd better use the
Brutus setup.

> program the flash part. We are using a supported Flash part (The

The SA1110 Flash burner doesn't work on SA1100 boards because the
JTAG ID code is different. Have a look at the LART site: since this
afternoon we have a page with hard- and software to burn the LART
flash (LART is an SA1100 board):

  http://www.lart.tudelft.nl/projects/jtag/

Erik

-- 
J.A.K. (Erik) Mouw, Information and Communication Theory Group, Department
of Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems,
Delft University of Technology, PO BOX 5031,  2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands
Phone: +31-15-2783635  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email: [email-masked]
WWW: http://www-ict.its.tudelft.nl/~erik/

---

From: Vasant Ramasubramanian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 01:37:59 -0500 (CDT)

> architecture has at least 4MB in each bank, you'd better use the

Hrm, this is a good tip, I'll keep that in mind. We have
16MB(MegaBytes) of SDRAM in bank 0 and that's it for the moment. We may
add 16MEG more in other banks...

> flash (LART is an SA1100 board):

We actually *do* have an SA-1110 platform, not an SA-1100. I am aware of
the LART being SA1100, my question was actually more directed towards if
the Assabet JTAG burner requires any specific parts other than a standard
JTAG port(i.e. the programmer tries to shift data through the CPLD or
something...). Or is the jflash on Nico's site an SA1100 burner?

Thanks,
Vasant.

---

From: Erik Mouw <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon 14 Aug 2000 09:59:42 +0100 (MDT)

> the LART being SA1100, my question was actually more directed towards if

Bzzt, you're right, sorry.

> something...). Or is the jflash on Nico's site an SA1100 burner?

I don't know about CPLDs on the Assabet (I don't have one) , but there
might be another difference: the Assabet has two 16 bit flash chips in
parallel on its bus. If your system has only one 16 bit flash on the bus,
the Assabet JTAG programmer will be quite confused.

Erik

-- 
Yes, it works sometimes. If you need something that "works sometimes"
use Windows! -- Victor Khimenko on linux-kernel

---

From: Vasant Ramasubramanian <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:35:50 -0500 (CDT)

> the Assabet JTAG programmer will be quite confused.

True but it doesn't even read the processor ID correctly.

Vasant.