Subject: Ethenet on assabet

From: Systems Administrator <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 11:56:05 -0700

I recently downloaded blob-kit-assabet-1.1.tar.gz from
ttp://www.cs.cmu.edu/~wearable/software and installed it on my
assabet-neponset system.  After configuring the ethernet interface
(a socket LP-E through a Sandisk pc card adapter) I was able
to ping other machines and other machines could ping the assabet.
Unfortunately that was the end of the good news.  I can't telnet out
or in, ftp to other systems gets past the login and then dies.  Telnet
to smpt and such seems to get in but default telnet hangs after the
advisement about escape.  I set /etc/resolv.conf and host lookups
seem to work but are horrendously slow.

I got similar results when I build my own system and installed
it with angelboot.

 I am suspecting that I have some kind of hardware problem
so I will ask some questions here:

Has this worked for others?
Did you use the package with or without neponset?

Any constructive/instructive response is appreciated,

-- 
Mike Coburn
Sys. Admin.
	
	"These are my opinions, and you can't have em" -- Bart Simpson

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: John G Dorsey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 18:05:21 -0400

I can only hope that the fifteen variations of this message now in my inbox are the
result of gremlins in my mail server.

Systems Administrator wrote:

> assabet-neponset system.

No, you didn't. BLOB isn't mentioned anywhere on my site.

> After configuring the ethernet interface

Through a PC card adapter? You're using the card via Neponset? Which kernel and
patch versions are you using? Is the following code part of your
drivers/net/pcmcia/pcnet_cs.c?

    /* This causes frame _header_ (this routine) and frame _data_
     * (dma_block_input) transfers to occur in byte mode, not word
     * mode. Frame reception on Neponset currently does not work
     * without this hack.
     */
    if(machine_is_assabet() && machine_has_neponset())
      outb_p(ENDCFG_FT1+ENDCFG_LS, nic_base + EN0_DCFG);

> seem to work but are horrendously slow.

There are a number of outstanding problems associated with that card on Assabet
& Neponset. The symptom of UDP-based applications working (albeit slowly), while
TCP apps fail completely suggests that frame corruption is occurring somewhere. The
current driver has fixes for the problems I know about.

-jd

---

From: John G Dorsey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 18:05:21 -0400

-jd