Subject: assabet ethernet

From: Systems Administrator <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 11:42:32 -0700

I recently downloaded blob-kit-assabet-1.1.tar.gz from
ttp://www.cs.cmu.edu/~wearable/software and installed it on my
assabet-neponset system.  After configuring the ethernet interface
(a socket LP-E through a Sandisk pc card adapter) I was able
to ping other machines and other machines could ping the assabet.
Unfortunately that was the end of the good news.  I can't telnet out
or in, ftp to other systems gets past the login and then dies.  Telnet
to smpt and such seems to get in but default telnet hangs after the
advisement about escape.  I set /etc/resolv.conf and host lookups
seem to work but are horrendously slow.

I got similar symptoms when I built my own system and loaded
it using angelboot.

	I am suspecting that I have some kind of hardware problem
so I will ask some questions here:

Has this worked for others?
Did you use the package with or without neponset?

A second consideration is the possible use of an old US
Logic ethernet adapter.  I would assume that the electrical
charachteristics of the neponset PCMCIA are such that
this standard PCMCIA card will operate correctly in the
neponset PCMCIA slot.  Assuming I am past that hurdle
then what is the best way to get this card to work?  I
use "cardctl ident" on my old laptop  to discover that the
card is actually an accton UE2212 which is supposedly
supported by  the pcnet_cs driver:
-------------------------------  
A PCMCIA ethernet driver for NS8390-based cards

    This driver supports the D-Link DE-650 and Linksys EthernetCard
    cards, the newer D-Link and Linksys combo cards, Accton EN2212
    cards, the RPTI EP400, and the PreMax PE-200 in non-shared-memory
    mode, and the IBM Credit Card Adapter, the NE4100, the Thomas
    Conrad ethernet card, and the Kingston KNE-PCM/x in shared-memory
    mode.  It will also handle the Socket EA card in either mode.
----------------------------------

But if I try to use this card I get:

  "pcnet_cs: unable to read hardware net address"

Any advice will be appreciated.

Mike Coburn
Sys. Admin.
	
	"These are my opinions, and you can't have em" -- Bart Simpson

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]