Subject: RE: Touch Screen Driver Generic Interface for all Linux SA11x0

From: George France <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 10:47:08 -0400

Russell King writes:
I don't mean to cause offence to those people at handhelds.org or any
of the other mailing lists, but it strikes me that we're getting too
many mailing lists covering the same sort of areas, which is ending up
with a loss of clarity and greater confusion.  We currently have:

I would prefer to see all kernel stuff discussed on linux-arm-kernel, so
that there is one central place where people can go to look for stuff, in
much the same way as the main linux-kernel list.

I'd also like these "other" mailing lists provide a clear definition of
their purpose so that it can be documented and readily available to people.

Please, don't loose sight that we're not huge community (yet)!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Russell;

Although I believe that you are correct in wanting arm kernel stuff
discussed on linux-arm-kernel. The touch screen API is an issue that crosses
many platforms and Operating Systems.  Since at this time is mostly handheld
devices that need a touch screen API, I think handhelds.org is the most
appropriate place.  In the past, I would have agree with you, that the
linux-kernel list should have been the appropriate forum, but, IMHO, the
main linux-kernel mailing list is becoming over crowed and too busy with
side discussions that do not effect the main stream kernel. I think it is
good, that there are more separate mailing list which take some of the
pressure off of the linux-kernel list. The best examples that comes to mind
is the USB mailing list or the linix-arm list.

I believe that Charlie should send a note to the linux-kernel list, BSD
lists and the plan9 list, telling everybody whom is interested that, a touch
screen API is being discussed at handhelds.org. This is not a Linux only
issue. There are many applications that run on multiple OSs.

This week, I hope to have time to have a more clear definition and purpose
of the handhelds.org lists. In short is a place to discuss and solve the
issues that effect handheld/wearable devices in the Open Source community
across Operating Systems.  

with delusions of grandeur,

--George

George France,      [email-masked]
Cambridge Research Laboratory, Compaq Computer Corporation
One Cambridgecenter    MS: CRL
Cambridge, MA 02142 USA

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++

---

From: George France <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 16:04:43 -0400

[email-masked]

--George

-----Original Message-----
From: A Page in the Life of ... [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2000 1:42 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Handhelds] Re: Touch Screen Driver Generic Interface for
all Linux SA11x0

-=> I created this list for sa1100-specific linux issues (back when the
sa1100
-=> port was less well-integrated with the general arm port).  It's possible
-=> that it's no longer needed.  Clearly, if it stays around it needs to
have
-=> sa1100 as well as sa1110 in its charter.  Nicolas, I'm willing to let
you
-=> define the charter... what do you think?

If you don't redifine the charter ... is there anywhere that folks are
talking about sa1110 -> CompactFlash/IBM microdrive direct driver issues in
linux?  I've found stuff on going through pcmcia, but nothing on the direct
stuff ... is it because there isn't anything, or there aren't any wire
specs or what?

Dave K>

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for
++
++                        kernel-related discussions.
++