Subject: RE: kernel version!

From: Jeff Sutherland <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 14:26:51 -0400

> It doesn't work perfectly on stand-alone Assabet either.

I failed to mention the kernel version in my earlier post, sorry.  I'm using
2.4.0-test2-ac1-rmk2-np3 (which has no evident problem with telnet, ftp, or
anything else).  Is the flakyness you mentioned occurring in -test4-np1? I'm
not there yet.  Golly, I've been doing software too long!  Imagine, me
thinking there's a hardware problem!  Sheesh!

//Jeff

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++

---

From: Nicolas Pitre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 15:26:33 -0400 (EDT)

> thinking there's a hardware problem!  Sheesh!

The bug occured with older kernel versions too.  And it occurs reliably on
the sixth telnet into the Assabet or so after every reboot.  I don't think
that a hardware bug can be triggered so deterministicly with such a
high-level software sequence.

I would rather suspect something with the ethernet driver and/or the TCP
code.  For example if odd-byte-length packets are mishandled by the driver
then most likely TCP connections will fail where NFS on UDP will still
work.

Nicolas