Subject: Spurious characters after kernel boot on Intel dev. board

From: "Arjan Opmeer (EMN)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 17:54:34 +0200

Hi,

I just received my Intel SA1110/SA1111 development board and have
succeeded in booting and running a Linux kernel on it using the
angelboot utility and the ramdisk image from Nico.

But after the kernel booting messages have passed by and the init
program is run there are all sorts of extra characters in the
output of my minicom session. I can log in as root and execute
commands just fine, but the output doesn't make much sense.

Below is an example of what it looks like when I log in as root
and execute the command 'ls ..'. (Provided MS Outlook what I have
to use here :( doesn't f*ck things up....)

VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
IN%£M.ùveÉ.Kzr.&æÑ3..bo½¢Jr;ÿ 68k initê
IN%£M.ùEnt..Jr;.&asc*²+b....
ÿSÑ
   .¢Jr;.6.*j.Æ..¶¶.9:.ÿ sysl½:#ÿ
ÿSÑ
   .¢Jr;...R4..seÉ²K*...ù i.+¢"ÿ
ÿ
ÿLi.«..Æ..¶.o:.ÿrÿoÿoÿtÿ
ÿ[r½z¢..ZM[7../r½z¢ê.ñlÿs .ÿ.ÿ
ÿl½.£Zd.S7..de....2..    eÑ...2..    var....2..   usr....2..   l¥.kL.nl.n        bi....2..    r½z¢...2..   r....2...

Now my question is, is there a way to clean up the output of
the development board? Did I miss a setting or trick somewhere
that can perform this task? Is there a FAQ I should have read?

Thanks in advance for any response,

Best regards,

Arjan Opmeer

P.s. Could the kind soul answering this question also please cc
a reply to my email address as I am not subscribed to this list
(yet).

(I really don't mind being subscribed to a mailing list, but I
don't know whether I want to use MS Outlook on an Exchange server
to receive the email. I'll have to look into that...)

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++

---

From: John G Dorsey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 06:32:21 -0400

"Arjan Opmeer (EMN)" wrote:

> IN%M.ve.Kzr.&3..boJr; 68k init
> IN%M.Ent..Jr;.&asc*+b....
> S
>    .Jr;.6.*j....9:. sysl:#
> S
>    .Jr;...R4..seK*... i.+"
> 
> Li......o:.root
> [rz..ZM[7../rz.ls ..
> l.Zd.S7..de....2..    e...2..    var....2..   usr....2..   l.kL.nl.n        bi....2..    rz...2..   r....2...

You're using 2.4.0-test2-ac1-rmk2-np3, aren't you? =)

(I thought I was losing it yesterday when both my Assabet and Neponset started to do this.)

Back out to -np1; -np3 has some fairly substantial changes in the serial character driver which may require some
sorting.

-jd