Subject: need help in bug fixing!

From: "Sun, Lei" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 10:16:06 -0400

Hi all:
   I am tring to investigate the "telnet session stucks " bug in SA1110
Assabet for kernel 2.4.0-test2(in test4 version, things getting worse, even
ping don't work on stand along assabet).
   I wrote a small packet monitoring progrm which use the packet socket and
can read the whole raw packet from my arm target eth0 device, and print out
the source IP address, destination IP, source port and destinaion port and
the packet content. when I open this program on my arm target(IP
192.168.200.72) and try to telnet from 192.168.200.70, the packet monitoring
program output looks like this:

   source IP: 192.168.40.73  source port: 23
   dest   IP: 192.168.200.70 dest  port: 1078
   ...
   source IP: 192.168.40.172 source port: 23
   dest   IP: 192.168.200.70 dest port: 1078
   ....

   I tested this program in other linux machine, it works good. Noted that
the source IP address doesn't exist at all, looks like the last two bytes IP
address are mixed. so the reply packet are being send nowhere. so the telnet
session will hang there because it couldn't receive further packet. 
   Can anybody tell me what can cause this problem, ethernet driver ? or IP
suite implementation? 
   Thank you!

Lei Sun

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 15:43:05 +0100 (BST)

Sun, Lei writes:
> the packet content.

You might want to look at the program called "tcpdump".  It does exactly
the same, but does a lot more interpretation.

> when I open this program on my arm target(IP 192.168.200.72) and try to

BTW, you don't "open" programs.  You "run" them.  "Open" is a microsoft-ism.

> telnet from 192.168.200.70, the packet monitoring program output looks
> like this:
> 

Hmm, not sure - I'd like to see the output of tcpdump -s 256 -x to be sure.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |            http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/            /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |