Subject: Tool stuff - binutils

From: Mike Coburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 10:37:41 -0700

I get very confused trying to get started. I have several different X86
machines
and several different linux distributions and several different versions
of gcc
or egcs or whatever and all I really want to know is:  Where is everyone
else
launching from these days and what is the best way to build myself a
cross
compiler for an arm system (I realize there are several different chips
and
such).  I found Intel's site which said to get binutils-1.0.9 something
and
build  it on Red Hat 5.2 but there is no binutils at the place such a
thing is
supposed to be found.  So I can't use the cook book stuff from the Intel

site.  So where would I get the basic ingredients for this pizza?  It
seems
that binutils is now 2.x and the compiler is newer and the whole thing
is
jumping around all over.  I have built gcc and g++ and such before and I

build kernels all the time,  but I am not a CS grad , or a an
architecture
guru.  Will it be possible to locate the basic pieces that actually work
and
play well together?  It would seem that I would need these things before

I can build a kernel and such that will run on this arm thing.  That is
the
objective:  To run a linux system as the primary os on an ARM system,
probably a StrongArm rig if that helps any.

I see that I can say ./configure --cross arm to build a "arm" cross
compiler
in gcc 2.7.2.3 which is the gcc I happen to have the source for right
now.
Should I start there or get some other version?

--

Mike Coburn

"These are _MY_ opinions and you can't have em" -- Bart Simpson

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++

---

From: Dan Malek <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 23:39:52 -0400

Mike Coburn wrote:
> and several different linux distributions

MontaVista Software is creating a CDK for various StrongARM boards.
You can find the compilers, libraries, and a kernel on

	ftp://ftp.mvista.com/pub/CDK/wip/arm_sa110/RPMS

This will be maturing over the next few weeks as more applications
are added, documentation is written, and board configurations are
created.

The current tools are hosted on Linux/x86 RedHat 6.2, and PowerPC
Linux Yellowdog 1.2.

	-- Dan

---

From: Ho Tat Leung <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 09:41:52 +0800 (EAT)

Have a look at the site below. It has instruction on how to build
a cross compiler.

http://www.bluewaternz.com/startoff/armlinux.htm

---

From: Hugues Belanger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 20:14:14 -0400

Hi I've been looking around for a solide development environement and so far
their is not a lot of choises available. If you are familiar with hard hat can
you elaborate on it's features and maybe do a little sales pitch...

Thanks

Hugues Belanger

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 20:32:48 +0100

> found Intel's site which said to get binutils-1.0.9 something

Get binutils 2.10 from ftp.gnu.org or your favourite mirror.

>Should I start there or get some other version?

You probably want gcc 2.95.2 plus the patch from 
ftp.netwinder.org:/users/p/philb.

p.