Subject: BOOTP w. 2.4.0-test2 and EBSA-285

From: Mathias Teikari <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 15:31:57 +0200

Hi All,

I have a problem using bootp with kernel 2.4.0-test2-ac1-rmk3 on my
EBSA-285 with EEPro100 NIC. Everything looks good up until sending
the bootp request, but then I get:

Sending BOOTP requests............. timed out!
IP-Config: Auto-configuration of network failed.

I can see the bootp request packets on the network as well as the
replies from the server, but the EBSA doesn't catch them. I realize
this might be a problem on the server side just as well as on the
EBSA but maybe someone has had similar problems before and could
point me in the right direction.
I use bootpd on a linux host and here's the /etc/bootptab

galileo.telscom.ch:                      \
        ht=ether:                        \
        ha=0090278CD86B:                 \
        ip=<ip-addr-of-ebsa>:            \
        sm=<subnet-mask>:                \
        gw=<default-gateway>:            \
        ds=<primary-dns> <secondary-dns>:\
        hn:

Any help is appreciated! Thanks for your time..

    - Mathias

--
 +---------------------------------------------------------+      .--.
 | Mathias Teikari           [email-masked]    |     |o_o |
 | Ba. Sc. EE.               Office Ph: +41 (0)31 376 2030 |     |:_/ |
 | SW Development Engineer   Mobile Ph: +41 (0)76 541 9449 |    //   \ \
 | Telscom AG                Sandrainstr. 17, CH-3007 Bern |   (|     | )
 |                                                         |  /'\_   _/`\
 +---------------- http://www.telscom.ch ------------------+  \___)=(___/

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 18:24:33 +0100 (BST)

Mathias Teikari writes:
> replies from the server, but the EBSA doesn't catch them.

Could be one of many things.  Can you give a "tcpdump -s 1540 -e -v"
dump of the packets please?

>         ds=<primary-dns> <secondary-dns>:\

The dns entries are redundant as far as the kernel goes.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |            http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/            /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Mathias Teikari <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 15:21:55 +0200

Below is the tcpdump output. 193.247.121.35 is the bootp server
(0:d0:b7:3f:4a:90) and .36 is the client (0:90:27:8c:d8:6b)
It does bother me somewhat that the server replies to the intended (but
not yet configured) address of the client. I know this situation is
discussed in the original bootp rfc (rfc951) but I don't know if any of
the more recent extensions covers it?

    - Mathias

12:53:45.800521 0:90:27:8c:d8:6b ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff 0800 406: 0.0.0.0.68
> 255.255.255.255.67: xid:0x362989d0 secs:5 vend-rfc1048 SM:0.0.0.0
DG:0.0.0.0
HN:"^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@"
T40:0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
RP:"^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@"
(DF) (ttl 64, id 0)

12:53:45.800663 0:d0:b7:3f:4a:90 0:90:27:8c:d8:6b 0800 406:
193.247.121.35.67 > 193.247.121.36.68: xid:0x362989d0 secs:5
Y:193.247.121.36 S:193.247.121.35 sname "neptune.telscom.ch"
vend-rfc1048 SM:255.255.255.240 (ttl 64, id 61573)