Subject: Faster FP emulation for Linux

From: ICN TR ON DA 1 Werkstudent1 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 17:43:08 +0200

Hi,

from porting Quake to the RiscPC I have some quite fast single precision floating
point routines, they reach between 3 and 5 MFlops on a SA RiscPC. I thought that
it would be a nice option to have them available as in Linux.

I recognized that there are two options, one is the FP emulator, and another one
is the softfloat library for GCC. Which of these is used in our days? And what is a good starting point for this work?

Peter Teichmann

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++

---

From: Scott Bambrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 10:28:30 -0400

Hi Peter,

I would start with the emulator.  I'd wait and see what shakes out in soft-float
in the next release of gcc.  I'm afraid you would do all the work in libfloat,
only to find the ARM switched to use floating point routines compiled into
libgcc.a.

Scott

-- 
Scott Bambrough - Software Engineer
REBEL.COM    http://www.rebel.com
NetWinder    http://www.netwinder.org