Subject: using pcmcia on assabet

From: "Rao, Ram R" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 15:30:51 -0700

Hi,
	Could someone give me an overview as to how to use compact flash on
the assabet? I've got 32 meg compact flash cards (from viking and kinsgton),
and the socket comm ethernet card. I'm running the 2.4.0-test1-ac7-rmk1-np4.
(I accepted all defaults after running make assabet_config which included
pcmcia support, and ide and ethernet support). I downloaded the ramdisk from
CMU's website, and by using cardctl, it appears that power is applied to the
card, and it can read the vendor information. However, it doesn't appear
that any driver gets loaded for the compact flash card. I would expect to
see an ide device in /proc/devices, but I don't. How do you go about
mounting a compact flash card? Likewise, what steps are necessary to get the
ethernet working?

Thanks for your help,
Ram Rao

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++

---

From: Hugues Belanger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 22:25:05 -0400

I have a new found respect and admiration for developers now...!

I've been trying to port my favorite firewall/router distribution the the Arm
platform only to find that man I need to know so much before I can get their..!

I've got compaq's tool chain, I've patch and compile the kernel and modules,
I've got all the libs I need (I cheated here a little and objcopy from skiff
ramdrive). now I have to port user space apps ???????????

Were do i start  ?

Thanks

Hugues

---

From: Nicolas Pitre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 22:29:29 -0400 (EDT)

> and the socket comm ethernet card. I'm running the 2.4.0-test1-ac7-rmk1-np4.

You should consider moving to a more recent patch since PCMCIA wasn't
fully working with older patches.

Nicolas