Subject: Re: Kernel version!

From: "Sun, Lei" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 13:59:55 -0400

Hi:
  OK, I will stay in the latest kernel version :-) and try to play it by
myself about the network problem. ( I wrote a socket program, let it
constantly send a short message  to other machine from Assabet, and the
first 5 messages are correct, after that the message coming in become
garbage code).After network error occured, I can't even reboot the system(
shutdown or reboot doesn't work, have to push reset key).
  Jeff, see Nico's message, it doesn't work well on stand alone Assabet
either, he reproduced the same telnet error as I met.

  THank you!

lei

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++

---

From: Marco Carbone <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 17:20:09 -0400 (EDT)

>Now could someone clue me in as to what happened to the frame buffer
>driver on the Assabet? It was working fine back in the 
>2.3.99-pre-something days, but lately I've noticed that every other scan
>line is blank even though the screen geometry over all is correct (no,
>it's not hardware, the phase 4 Assabet does it, too). 

I am not having that problem, with a 2.4.0-test1-etcetera kernel and using
NanoX and Microwindows.  Are you having this problem when Tux is drawn?

>X and MicroWindows don't find the touch screen. "Error 2 opening touch 
>panel; Cannot initialise mouse" is what the nano-X driver says. The major 
>number is assigned dynamically. I stuck a device in /dev anyway and
>pointed "mouse" to it, still no joy. This one's a little light on
>documentation. 
>Hints, anyone, please? 

This is what Greg Haerr has to say on the NanoGUI mailing list (found at
www.microwindows.org):

"The microwindows touch screen drivers work on the MIPS Linux-VR
kernels and the StrongARM ADS graphics client boxes only right now.
I think Monta Vista has been working on a driver for the Assabet."

I'm not sure how close Monta Vista is to finishing the driver, or if they
are writing one at all (I'd assume that they are, seeing that they are
marketing a product with a working touchscreen and X on the SA-1110).
It's possible that a whole Assabet touchscreen driver might have to be
written from scratch for Microwindows if the Monta Vista rumor is
untrue, or at least the current driver will have to be modified...

Marco Carbone

---

From: Jeff Sutherland <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 16:13:10 -0400

> The bug occured with older kernel versions too.  And it 
> occurs reliably on
> the sixth telnet into the Assabet or so after every reboot.  
> I don't think
> that a hardware bug can be triggered so deterministicly with such a
> high-level software sequence.
> 
> I would rather suspect something with the ethernet driver 
> and/or the TCP
> code.  For example if odd-byte-length packets are mishandled 
> by the driver
> then most likely TCP connections will fail where NFS on UDP will still
> work.
> 
> 
> Nicolas

OK, I've been doing some testing with this.  With test4-np1 I can reproduce
this.  My old Assabet simply reboots when logging out from the sixth telnet
session.  I can't reproduce this on test2-ac1-rmk2-np3 (maybe I'm just not
trying the right combinations of multiple login/logouts).  Just tried
logging in and out 12 times and it's still working fine. ??????

//Jeff

---

From: "Sun, Lei" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 17:41:22 -0400

Hi all:
   I would like to report the status for the ethernet problem for
2.4.0-test2, test4 with or without neponset.
   for standalone SA1110 assbet. As I mentioned that the telnet session
stuck after trying a couple of times. I rebuilt the tcpd program. but it
didn't work. Obviously it's also not the in.telnetd problem, because the ftp
also stucked if telnet session hang there. BUT a interesting thing I found
is that I installed a apache webserver program on my target. I CAN always
browse a simple webpage even when telnet or ftp hangning there. How could
this happened? if the driver has some problem. webserver should also go
wrong if other TCP program hang there.
   Lei Sun