Subject: CATS?

From: "Jeremy Coates: Mailing Lists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 00:12:04 +0100

Hi All,

Just a quicky - is their an idiots guide to getting a decent distribution
going on a CATS server? I know the kernel had support added (Phil
Blundell) but need a 'get going' webpage to show how it's all done.

Any pointers gladly received.

TIA,
Jeremy Coates

-- 
                                Co-Comp, PO BOX 199, PRESTON. PR1 9SS UK
                               Turn-key computing and internet solutions
                                           Web: http://www.co-comp.co.uk
RiscStation Registered Dealer               Email: [email-masked]
Castle Registered Dealer                         Tel: +44 (0)7970 064479
Authorised RISCOS Installer                      Fax: +44 (0)7971 434612

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 08:16:00 +0100

>going on a CATS server?

It's not completely trivial at the moment.  From what I remember the CATS 
firmware can't boot off CD or floppy so you need to either boot over NFS or 
from your NetBSD partition initially.  Debian will run on a CATS but I don't 
know what the state of support in the boot disks is.  You might be able to use 
some variant of the NetWinder install process.

I hope to get time to look into this properly soon.

p.

---

From: "Jeremy Coates: Mailing Lists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 10:46:11 +0100

In article <[email-masked]>,
   Philip Blundell <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >Just a quicky - is their an idiots guide to getting a decent
> >distribution going on a CATS server?

> It's not completely trivial at the moment.  From what I remember the
> CATS firmware can't boot off CD or floppy so you need to either boot
> over NFS or from your NetBSD partition initially.  Debian will run on a
> CATS but I don't know what the state of support in the boot disks is. 
> You might be able to use some variant of the NetWinder install process.

> I hope to get time to look into this properly soon.

Cheers for the response - as I thought really - still black art stuff - I
have other boxes running RHat 6.2 so could (in theory) boot from NFS via
these - any webpages I should be reading?

BTW, does Debian have native support for the CATS system or is it a kernel
re-compile scenario?

If you're doing any work in this are keep me posted! Ta!

BFN
Jeremy

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 11:43:06 +0100

>BTW, does Debian have native support for the CATS system or is it a kernel

I'm not sure.  You should probably ask on the debian-arm list.  There's no 
reason the NetWinder kernel can't also support EBSA-285 and NetWinder, but it 
has to be compiled with the right options.

p.