Subject: kernel version!

From: "Sun, Lei" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 12:55:47 -0400

Hi all:
   I have been trying to port the linux to SA1110 for a month, I can make
the linux-2.4.0 (test2 or test4) runing on it. But the network has some
problem which is very hard to find out the reason. so I am thinking to
change to older kernel.
   Does anybody know if the kernel 2.2.14 with Nico's patch could run on
SA1110 ? I ever tried it before but I didn't make it. And if I build 2.2.14
kernel, How can I make the compact flash ethernet (socket comm. LP CF)
working? I know I need install the pcmica card service package, but where
can I get that specific driver for LP CF card?
   Thank you!

Lei Sun

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++

---

From: John G Dorsey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 07:35:47 -0400

> can I get that specific driver for LP CF card?

As far as I know, pcnet_cs with that device has not been tried on a kernel
earlier than 2.3.99. This probably doesn't matter, however. You could go and get
a recent PCMCIA Card Services and run it against a 2.2 kernel, which in all
likelihood would not behave differently from what you're now seeing on Neponset.

I think that something is flaky with either the SA-1111 or the Nep
PCMCIA implementation. That card works just fine on Assabet, but only comes
close to working on Neponset if you play tricks with the device I/O. For
example, there is a known corruption issue with the last octet of an odd-length
frame transfer from the card, which simply does not happen on other systems.

I'm sorry I can't offer you a more useful answer at the moment. =(

-jd

---

From: Nicolas Pitre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 13:39:08 -0400 (EDT)

> can I get that specific driver for LP CF card?

You'll have to port everything yourself i.e. the kernel support for
Assabet, the PCMCIA subsystem, the ethernet driver, etc.  And you'll be
alone in your corner because 2.2.x kernels are no longer maintained as
SA11x0 support is concerned.  All this without any waranty that you won't
have the same telnet problem at the end.

Believe me you're way better to investigate yourself a little more on the
2.4.x kernels.

Nicolas

---

From: Nicolas Pitre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 13:44:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, John G Dorsey wrote:

> close to working on Neponset if you play tricks with the device I/O.

It doesn't work perfectly on stand-alone Assabet either.

Just try to telnet into your Assabet and logout a couple of times.  The
sixth telnet or so just hang because tcpd on the Assabet goes nuts and
stalls for still unknown reasons...  and I don't have the time to trace it
down at the moment.

Nicolas