Subject: Trouble with SCSI card recognition on install

From: Tom Harris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 12:17:46 +0100

I'm having trouble with installation of Aleph One's v0.8 distribution on
my RO4 SARPC on account of trouble recognising my Cumana SCSI II card.

On booting into the installer, everything proceeds as expected, except for
the list of expansion cards. My ANT ethernet card (in slot 0), DMI50 MIDI
card (slot 2) and Atomwide dual serial card (slot 3) are all recognised
correctly, but the SCSI card isn't.

I've tried several times, including removing the other cards and shuffling
the SCSI card about on the backplane, and almost all the time the boot
program reports it as
1: EASI [0000:0000] *unknown*
Though on a few occasions it's been reported as "EASI simple card x"
(don't remember the number) and twice as the "SCSI-2 & CDFS Expansion
Card" that RISC OS reports it as. Both those times I couldn't complete the
install because of difficulties accessing the CD-ROM (which, along with a
Jaz drive, is all that's on the SCSI bus at the moment).

I had a look at the expansion card info in the PRMs (4-119) and it seems
that the card ID is only mandated to be at the bottom of expansion card
space immediately after a reset. Perhaps it's not paged in? Or is a faulty
backplane a more likely problem?

Any help appreciated.

Tom

-- 
Tom Harris
[email-masked]
http://www.harris.ukgateway.net/

* 80% of people consider themselves to be above average drivers

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 18:52:00 +0100 (BST)

> backplane a more likely problem?

I suspect that there's a problem with the cards firmware.  Can you try
something for me please?

Try hitting ctrl-reset and then see if the card is still detected.  I have
a suspicion that it won't be.  If this is the case, then the firmware is
buggy, and thinks get complicated ;(
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |            http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/            /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Hugues Belanger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 16:38:42 -0400

Hi All,

Forgive my ignorance, but I need a little help to get me going on my porting
project....

I've down loaded the ARM toolchain from handhleds.org, patched configured and
compile a kernel, manage to get all the base libs stripped, compiled Busybox and
Tinylogin... but now "ae" is complaning the -ltermcap -lcurses are missing...
I'm assuming that I need to had these libs to my tool chain RIGHT ?

and if so, how do I do that ?

thanks

Hugues Belanger

---

From: Hugues Belanger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 16:44:16 -0400

---

From: Tom Harris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 00:26:28 +0100

On 16 Jul Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Tom Harris writes:
> > I had a look at the expansion card info in the PRMs (4-119) and it
> > seems that the card ID is only mandated to be at the bottom of
> > expansion card space immediately after a reset. Perhaps it's not paged
> > in? Or is a faulty backplane a more likely problem?
> 

Certainly.

> Try hitting ctrl-reset and then see if the card is still detected.  I
> have a suspicion that it won't be.  If this is the case, then the
> firmware is buggy, and thinks get complicated ;(

Ctrl-reset and leaving to boot to desktop, f12, *podules -> shows
correctly.
Ctrl-reset and * to supervisor, *podules -> shows correctly.

Also the same in both cases with the unmodified reset button and
ctrl-break, though I doubt it made a difference as IIRC there's only one
type of reset in RISC OS 3.5+.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Tom

* Gee, it's fun that we're speaking in tongues. (Buffy, BtVS)