Subject: Booting EBSA-285 w. ramdisk as root filesystem

From: Mathias Teikari <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 12:52:16 +0200

Hi all,

Could anybody give me directions of how to boot linux on an
EBSA-285, using a ramdisk image as the root filesystem? I'd like to
upload kernel+ramdisk image over serial port.

I am using bios-1.06 w. ebsa285-bios-1.06.diff2 (no angel), kernel
2.2.15 w patch rmk1 and Nicolas Pitre's ramdisk (ramdisk_img.gz).

I was under the impression that this could be done by appending the
ramdisk image to the kernel image and upload the resulting file with
ymodem.

    i.e. % dd if=ramdisk_img.gz of=zImage bs=1k seek=240  (kernel
size ~  238k)

In the manual boot menu of the bios I added the extra parameters:

    ramdisk_start=240 load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 root=/dev/ram

Now, obvioulsly this wasn't the correct way of doing things since it
didn't work. I would very much appreciate any help or pointers
towards more information regarding proper use of the ramdisk/initrd.

Thanks a lot guys,

    - Mathias

--
 +---------------------------------------------------------+      .--.
 | Mathias Teikari           [email-masked]    |     |o_o |
 | Ba. Sc. EE.               Office Ph: +41 (0)31 376 2030 |     |:_/ |
 | SW Development Engineer   Mobile Ph: +41 (0)76 541 9449 |    //   \ \
 | Telscom AG                Sandrainstr. 17, CH-3007 Bern |   (|     | )
 |                                                         |  /'\_   _/`\
 +---------------- http://www.telscom.ch ------------------+  \___)=(___/

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++

---

From: Mathias Teikari <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 15:07:22 +0200

Hello again,

Here are the last lines of output i get when booting the kernel.

...
Starting kswapd v 1.5
RAM disk driver initialized:  16 RAM disks of 4096K size
VFS: Cannot open root device 00:00
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:00

    - Mathias