Subject: Open Source software running on iPAQ H3600

From: Jim Gettys <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 14:05:55 -0700

On April 19, Compaq announced the iPAQ H3600.  Many people have
recognized the interesting capabilities of this device, and Compaq
Research has been receiving inquiries from the research and open
sourcen communities about it. These same communities have expressed
great interest over the last several years in the Itsy pocket
computer, a research prototype device with many hardware similarities
to the iPAQ H3600, but running open source software.  To satisfy these
inquiries, we are happy to make the following announcement:

Compaq's open handheld program
------------------------------

We have three primary goals: 
   o Promote development and discussion of open source software for
     pocket and wearable computers in general,
   o Ensure that the results of our research in pocket computing
     (e.g. power management) are available to the community, 
   o Ensure that current open source software runs on our new hand held 
     computer.

Open handhelds website
----------------------

Towards these goals, we have established the http://www.handhelds.org
web site to act as a resource for open source software on handheld and
wearable computers in general, not limited to Compaq's hardware.  We
hope that you will join us in making open source software work well on
handheld and wearable computers in general, and you will join us in
making open source software run well on our platforms.

Linux for the iPAQ H3600
------------------------

Compaq's Corporate Research group is porting current versions of the
Linux kernel and XFree86 X server to the H3600, and updating to this
software base the software developed specifically with the Itsy
handheld computer.

Most of the Itsy software, based on Linux 2.0.30, was made available
to the open source development community in February. For the last
several months we have been submitting patches to support the iPAQ
H3600 back into the Linux and XFree86 development streams.

The hardware design specification of the iPAQ H3600 is available and
the mechanical specifications for the expansion packs will be
available on Compaq's web site soon. While our kernel efforts are
currently primarily focussed on Linux, a project has recently started
to port NetBSD, and we will be happy to answer questions from people
interested in porting other operating systems to the iPAQ H3600
PocketPC, which will become available for purchase in June.

While we have been making great progress with Linux on the iPAQ H3600,
the system is still in development.  Linux 2.3.99pre1 was booted
recently (since updated to Linux 2.4.0-test1-ac7) at Compaq's
Cambridge Research Laboratory, and we are working on device drivers
for the hardware and on integrating features developed in the Itsy
software into current versions of open source software.  XFree86 4.0
is also running on the iPAQ H3600.

Mailing Lists
-------------

Please join the mailing list [email-masked] to discuss open
source software for handhelds and wearable computers.

We have also established the "[email-masked]" and
"[email-masked]" mailing lists to provide forums to discuss
specifically Linux and NetBSD kernel issues on handheld computers.

To subscribe to either of these mailing lists, visit:
   http://www.handhelds.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/handhelds
   http://www.handhelds.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/linux
   http://www.handhelds.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/netbsd
      or send mail to:
   [email-masked]
   [email-masked]
   [email-masked]

Further information about Compaq's handhelds research and products
------------------------------------------------------------------ 

Information about the iPAQ H3600 product can be found at:
	 http://www.compaq.com/products/handhelds/pocketpc/

Information about the Itsy handheld computer can be found at:
	 http://www.research.compaq.com/wrl/itsy

The hardware specification for the iPAQ H3600 can be found at:
         http://www.handhelds.org/specs/Compaq/iPAQH3600/
	 http://www.handhelds.org/specs/Compaq/iPAQH3600/iPAQ_H3600.html

Information about Compaq's corporate research labs can be found at:
	http://www.research.compaq.com/

For more information, please join one of the mailing lists mentioned above.
Press inquiries should contact Eileen Quinn, [email-masked], at
408-285-9272.

Credits
-------
The Itsy Team:
    Compaq Western Research Lab: Joel Bartlett, Lawrence Brakmo, Keith Farkas,A
      William Hamburgen, Marc Viredaz, Deborah Wallach
    Compaq Systems Research Center: Timothy Mann, Carl Waldspurger (now at 
	   VMWare)

The Open Handheld Team:
    Compaq Cambridge Research Lab: George France, Jamey Hicks, Frank Bomba,
	   Edwin Foo
    Compaq PAAD: Ed Gould, Tom Lawler, Dave Redell
    Compaq SEA: Blair Fidler, Charlie Flynn, Dirk van Hennekeler, Greg McCane
    Compaq CPCG: Jim Mann, Ken Nicholas
    Compaq Research: Jim Gettys, Dick Greeley, Ken Salsman

Others:
    Self: Keith Packard, Nicolas Pitre, Stan Thomas

    Our thanks to Kelly Martin who has been kind enough to make the 
    domain handhelds.org name available.

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++