Subject: Need Help with arm kernel:

From: Hugues Belanger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 09:45:39 -0400

Now I remember why I never liked programing ...! I've spent the last
couple of
days trying to find the right kernel/patches combination and I can't
seem to get it
all together...

Here's what I'm trying to do : Port LRP/Eiger  to ARM/LART
LRP/Eiger runs on Kernel 2.2.16 and comes with a set of patches..

1-  I went to get the Arm Kernel patch and I can only get :
patch-2.2.15-rmk1.gz
See:
ftp://ftp.arm.linux.org.uk/pub/armlinux/source/kernel-patches/v2.2/

2-  I've been doing more reading and it is recommanded to put Nico's
patch
but he only has :  diff-2.2.14-rmk5-np17.gz
ftp://ftp.netwinder.org/users/n/nico/

Does this mean I'm stuck with kernel 2.2.14 until the patches come out
for
2.2.16 ?

Do you have a recommended patch list?

And furthermore  I've patch the 2.2.14 kernel with :

patch-2.2.14-rmk6
diff-2.2.14-rmk5-np17

modified the top level Makefile: ARCH := arm and CROSS_COMPILER =
arm-linux- (I'm using Compaq personal server Toolchain)

Now I get the following when I type : make xconfig

make: *** arch/arm: Is a directory.  Stop.

What's going on ???

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++

---

From: Steve Hill <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 08:51:08 -0500

> Does this mean I'm stuck with kernel 2.2.14 until the patches come out
Pretty much all the ARM Linux work is being done on the 2.4.0-testX series
kernels. You REALLY should move to the newer version kernel.

-S

-- 
 Steven J. Hill - Embedded SW Engineer
 Public Key: 'finger [email-masked]'
 FPR1: E124 6E1C AF8E 7802 A815
 FPR2: 7D72 829C 3386 4C4A E17D

---

From: "Jack T.C. Chang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 10:25:57 -0400

Make sure that there is no space between "=" and "arm", ie, ARCH :=arm

Jack

> modified the top level Makefile: ARCH := arm and CROSS_COMPILER =

                                                                          ^

--
======  Jack T. Chang
        AT&T Laboratories - Research
        URL:http://www.research.att.com/info/tcc