Subject: RE: Help with toolchain

From: George France <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 10:19:09 -0400

Hello Hugues;

When a tool chain is built, it is unlike other binaries because the tool
chain is built for a specific path. The tool chain that I built must run
from the /skiff/local directory. No other path will work. It was built in
/skiff/local to accommodate Georgia Tech University.  If you go to
ftp.handhelds.org/pub/linux/arm/toolchain, then you will find a README file
with some install directions. Next week I plan to upgrade the toolchain with
a path of /usr/local and create a web page on http://handhelds.org with
instructions for building and installation.

I hope this helps. Please let me know how things turn out.

--George

George France,      [email-masked]
Cambridge Research Laboratory, Compaq Computer Corporation
One Cambridgecenter    MS: CRL
Cambridge, MA 02142 USA

-----Original Message-----
From: Hugues Belanger [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2000 9:05 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Help with toolchain

I need a little help getting started with my little project...

I'm planning to port LRP (linux router project) to my LART board and I
can't get even compile a kernel...

I've downloaded Compaq's arm toolchain ... and extracted it to
/data/lart/cross/bin ... (I don't have to instruction on how to set it
up so I'm going with Lart's setup)

I've added that to the path in .bash_profile...

I've download kernel 2.2.16-1 and I could find any arm patch for this
kernel, so I'm assuming it doesn't need any for ARM...  Is that a bad
assumption ?

I applied all the LRP patches to the kernel tree...
and complied it for i486 (that worked great)...

I then changed the follwing in the top level Makefile:

ARCH := arm

CROSS_COMPILE  = /data/lart/cross/bin/arm-linux-

I get : Makefile:249: *** target file `symlinks' has both : and ::
entries.  Stop.

when I type make menuconfig

have you seen this before ?

Thanks

Hugues Belanger

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++

---

From: George France <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 10:52:44 -0400

Hello Hugues;

Funny thing you should mention putting together a development environment.
In a meeting yesterday, we discussed making a web page for this topic. Next
week, I will start working on the web page. It would be done sooner except
for the Fourth of July holiday.

In the mean time, try the
ftp://ftp.handhelds.org/pub/linux/arm/carleton-winder-rpms directory. You
will find ARM gdb and some other useful tools.  

If you are going to be developing apps, then you might find that some apps
that use 'autoscan' or 'autoconf' are very difficult to cross compile. I
suggest that you nfsroot mount your unit if possible and try a native
compile. The native compile will take a little more time, but is much less
hassle. As an alternative you could './configure' the app on an i86 platform
and then modify the 'Makefile' by hand for cross-compilation.

Best Regards,

--George

-----Original Message-----
From: Hugues Belanger [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2000 10:28 AM
To: George France
Subject: Re: Help with toolchain

Hi George,
I really apprciate your help ... I got my kernel compiled this time...

I'll keep my eye on your we site, since I plan to be doing a lot of work
with
LART  & LRP...

oh yes one last thing, I need to put together a development environment and
I
was wondering if you had any suggestion on the Hardware and software (Dev
tools) I should investigate...

Thanks again...

Hugues Belanger