Subject: Establishment of handhelds.org

From: Jim Gettys <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 14:03:40 -0700

The open source and research communities have expressed great interest
in the Itsy pocket computer research project of Compaq's corporate
research labs. With the recent appearance on the market of products
with most of the attributes that made the Itsy pocket computer so
exciting, both from Compaq (the iPAQ H3600) and other companies, we
believe that the time is ripe for more serious work in the general
open source software community.

handhelds.org 
------------- 

Compaq's research groups have established the handhelds.org web site
to help provide a focus and aid development of open source software on
handheld and wearable computers in the open source software community.
The intent of this web site is to act as a repository and development
aid for open source software for all platforms, including Compaq's
H3600.

We are providing FTP and CVS repositories for open source software  for
handheld and wearable computers.  These services are provided from
Palo Alto, California, on a high speed network. Please send us mail if
you have a project that would be helped by hosting of your project.

Handhelds.org services include:

    o A mirror of Russell King's ARM Linux site
    o Nicolas Pitre's SA11XX Arm Linux patches
    o ARM V4L GNU compiler cross development tool chain for Linux and BSD
    o Carlton University's ARM V4L RPM files
    o Linux on the Philips Nino
    o Anonymous read access CVS repositories 
      - of our bootloader/monitor for embedded devices, which
        runs out of Flash and is relocatable to any part of RAM
      - of the Linux kernel containing the latest changes to support the 
        iPAQ H3600 and Itsy
      - of the X Window System for the iPAQ H3600 and Itsy
      - of open source software we have written or changed for Itsy, 
        as we port it to the iPAQ H3600 and make it available
    o FTP archives of tarballs of releases of this software (when available)
    o The usual links page

Patches of changes for the iPAQ H3600 are already being submitted for
inclusion in the standard distributions of the base software: these
CVS pools are being made available to enable more rapid development.
We will have succeeded when these independent duplicate source pools
of base open source components become unneeded!

Mailing Lists
-------------

Please join the mailing list [email-masked] to discuss open
source software for handhelds and wearable computers.

We have also established the "[email-masked]" and
"[email-masked]" mailing lists to provide forums to discuss
specifically Linux and NetBSD kernel issues on handheld computers.

To subscribe to any of these mailing lists, visit:
   http://www.handhelds.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/handhelds
   http://www.handhelds.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/linux
   http://www.handhelds.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/netbsd
      or send mail to:
   [email-masked]
   [email-masked]
   [email-masked]

Further information
-------------------
Mailing lists:
	[email-masked]
	[email-masked]
	[email-masked]

The Handhelds.org web site:
         http://handhelds.org

Information about the Itsy hand held computer can be found at:
	 http://www.research.compaq.com/wrl/itsy

Information about the iPAQ H3600 Pocket PC product can be found at:
	 http://www.compaq.com/products/handhelds/pocketpc/

For more information, please join one of the mailing lists mentioned above.
Press inquiries should contact Eileen Quinn, [email-masked], at
408-285-9272.

Credits
-------
The Itsy Team:
    Compaq Western Research Lab: Joel Bartlett, Lawrence Brakmo, Keith Farkas,
      William Hamburgen, Marc Viredaz, Deborah Wallach
    Compaq Systems Research Center: Timothy Mann, Carl Waldspurger (now at 
	   VMWare)

The Open Handheld Team:
    Compaq Cambridge Research Lab: George France, Jamey Hicks, Frank Bomba, 
	   Edwin Foo
    Compaq PAAD: Ed Gould, Tom Lawler, Dave Redell
    Compaq SEA: Blair Fidler, Charlie Flynn, Dirk van Hennekeler, Greg McCane
    Compaq CPCG: Jim Mann, Ken Nicholas
    Compaq Research: Jim Gettys, Dick Greeley, Ken Salsman

Others:
    Self: Keith Packard, Nicolas Pitre, Steve Hill, Stan Thomas

    Our thanks to Kelly Martin who has been kind enough to make the 
    domain handhelds.org name available.

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++

---

From: "Jay Carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 23:36:25 -0400

> handhelds.org

This announcement will generate discussion about handhelds.org's role,
organization of projects, etc.  Could we please have that discussion on
[email-masked] (see
http://www.handhelds.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/handhelds ) instead of
crossposted everywhere or isolated?  Thanks.

Jay