Subject: RE: Can't compile a 2.2.14 kernel - REPOST

From: George France <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 10:56:44 -0400

Hello Peter;

There have been so many questions and problems on the mailing list about
building a Cross Tool Chain.  We have decided to post a 38 Mbyte binary
(executable) tar-ball here:

http://crl.research.compaq.com/projects/personalserver/sw_download.html

it is an arm-linux cross Tool Chain.  The Tool Chain is made up of:

 	binutils-2.9.5.0.22,
	gcc-2.95.2 - C, C++, f77, CHILL, java and objc.
 	glibc-2.1.2. with the International crypt library. 

The Tool Chain is compiled for a i386 host with an armv4l target. Armv4 =
the instructions set. 

Installation notes:

The Tool Chain must be installed in /skiff/local.  It will not work from any
other path.  

The only other problem that you may have with the include files is that the
tar ball was setup for Linux 2.2.14.  You may need to setup a symbolic links
for:

           ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/asm
/skiff/local/arm-linux/include/asm
           ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux
/skiff/local/arm-linux/include/linux

or you could copy the /usr/src/linux/include/asm and
/usr/src/linux/include/linux directories to the
/skiff/local/arm-linux/include.  Be certain that you have run 'make
menuconfig' or equivalent, then 'make dep'.  This will verify that your
kernel tree is up-to-date and the correct symbolic links are up-to-date.

This tool chain has glibc symbol versioning.  If you are using a netwinder,
you may have to compile your code with static libs.

If there is interest, we may make a binary i386 to Strong-ARM cross gdb
available for remote debugging.

--George

George France,      [email-masked]
Cambridge Research Laboratory, Compaq Computer Corporation
One Kendall Square, Building 700     MS: CRL
Cambridge, MA 02139 USA

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Köllner [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2000 10:46 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Can't compile a 2.2.14 kernel

Erik Mouw wrote:
> Yes, see http://www.lart.tudelft.nl/lartware/compile-tools/ for all
> necessary components. Follow Chris Rutter's description (link on the same
> page), and it will work straight out of the box.

i am downloading the binaries now after building from the sources failed.
i got binutils 2.9.5.0.31 and gcc-2.95.2 as well as all patches i could get
my 
hands on. then i built on a i668-pc-linux-gnu host with target=arm-linux.
the compilation in gcc failed with assembler errors from 
./xgcc crtstuff.c with -DCRT_BEGIN and -DCRT_END: "out of range branch".
it looks like the compiler wrongly uses bl subroutine jumps if static 
functions are just a bit too far. to test that, i changed the order of 
functions in that file, and the compilation succeeded.
then i tried to compile something else and got lots of the same error.
so what patch would i need to get rid of that?

-- 
CANBOX Communications GmbH  - Peter Koellner - [email-masked]
voicemail & fax via www.smartvia.de:      +49-441-80066-5042
phone +49 231 5865139                     mobile  +49 177 6490606

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++