Subject: booting with !Linux

From: David Joy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 17:09:04 +0100 (BST)

I'm sure it's very simple, but I can't work out how to get !Linux to
boot kernel ADFS::4.$.vmlinux with argument root=/dev/hda4 so that it
loads immediately when I tell it to load. At the moment, it asks me if I
want to return to Risc OS, or load linux; I have to press down, and then
return, and return again to load. The command I have used is

!Linux -bootkernel ADFS::4.$.vmlinux -args root=/dev/hda4

but this still asks me to select Risc OS or Linux. I do not have boot.conf
or loadmap installed on the linux system, so I cannot get it to load off 
*adfs::4.4. As a matter of fact, the linux is Debian, but I doubt that
makes much difference. All I am trying to do is get !Linux to load the
kernel immediately, rather than to give me a menu. Is this possible?

Thank you very much,

-- 
David Joy.

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 12:43:20 +0100 (BST)

David Joy writes:
> loads immediately when I tell it to load.

I think its possible (it's been a while since I've looked at that).
Does !Linux.!RunImage -help give any useful pointers?
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |            http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/            /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |