Subject: Error During File System Check

From: Ken Paton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 21:28:05 +0100

Hi,

I have just managed to get Linux installed on my RiscPC, after many attempts.
I can now boot into Linux but during the startup it reports the following -
"An error occurred during the file system check, dropping you into a shell.
The system will re-boot when you leave the shell"

I can get into the root login from there, but it seems as if the entire hard
disk is read only which prevents me doing much more than that.

Can anyone suggest a solution for the above?
 
-- 
Ken Paton

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++

---

From: Wookey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 12:12:35 +0100 (BST)

On Wed 03 May, Ken Paton wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> I have just managed to get Linux installed on my RiscPC, after many
> attempts. I can now boot into Linux but during the startup it reports
> the following - "An error occurred during the file system check,
> dropping you into a shell. The system will re-boot when you leave the
> shell"
> 
> I can get into the root login from there, but it seems as if the entire
> hard disk is read only which prevents me doing much more than that.

Yes. The root filesystem is mouted read-only to start with for the
filesystem check to go ahead safely. If this check goes OK then it
reamounts the filesystem read-write and continues booting. (this is all
standard Linux/Unix boot proceedure).

> Can anyone suggest a solution for the above?

Well, it depends exactly what has gone wrong. Which drive/partition are
you booting from?

You should be able to exit the shell with ctrl-D or 'logout' (although
this may just have you going round in circles if it always fails this
check). Worth a try.

To see what the machine is doing at this point look in the
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit script which is te one being executed. This will
show the remount command if you want to try that and see what happens.

fsck is the command for fixing filesystems so you should try runnig that
manually to get some info an what the problem is. man fsck gives details.

HTH

Wookey
-- 
Aleph One Ltd, Bottisham, CAMBRIDGE, CB5 9BA, UK  Tel (00 44) 1223 811679
work: http://www.aleph1.co.uk/     play: http://www.chaos.org.uk/~wookey/

---

From: Peter Naulls <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 19:33:00 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>

> manually to get some info an what the problem is. man fsck gives details.

Chances are either it's an fsck thing as wookey mentioned, or you have
something wrong in /etc/fstab (in particular, the swap entry).  You
should check that.

Peter

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Peter Naulls - [email-masked]
 Homepage - http://free.prohosting.com/~chocky/
 Java for RISC OS and ARM - http://free.prohosting.com/~chocky/java/
 Debian Linux on RiscPCs - http://www.erble.freeserve.co.uk/
------------------------------------------------------------------------