Subject: Cross-compiling libc5 to arm-linux

From: Nandana <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 16:10:57 +0600

Hi,

Has anybody tried to cross-compile  libc5 library ( not glibc ) on to
linux-arm flatform.
Is it possible at all.
Any idea about current status of development of this library.

(My concern is the memory foot print of glibc and libc it seems that
libc is fairly smaller than glibc.
I also tried newlib  but it doesn't have theard support.)

Nandana

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++

---

From: Rod Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 09:26:02 -0400 (EDT)

> Any idea about current status of development of this library.

I don't believe libc5 was ever supported on ARM Linux, you would have to
port it.  It went from libc4 to libc6 for ARM Linux.

As to it's status of development: it is dead.  No one is actively
supporting (aside from a few legacy systems perhaphs).

> I also tried newlib  but it doesn't have theard support.)

Have you tried just using the linuxthreads part from glibc?  It will most
likely involve some work.

-Rms

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 17:07:19 +0100

>Has anybody tried to cross-compile  libc5 library ( not glibc ) on to

Not without some porting effort.  I think this would be a waste of time.  You 
would do better to invest your work in reducing the footprint of glibc if this 
is important to you.

p.