Subject: Little modification in SERIAL.C

From: Sergio Costas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 00:24:05 +0200

Hello.

My name is Sergio. I'm writting to you because I have modified the
original SERIAL.C driver in order to add a new functionality, and I
want to put theses in the new kernel releases. I send this to you
because I haven't found the address of the original programmer of
SERIAL.C, but yours was in the file.

Well... let's start from the beginig O:-) I'm writting an
assembler/programmer for PIC microcontrollers. At this momment the
available version works with the parallel port, but it has two
problems: it needs root priviledges and an external power source.
There is a model that is easier to made and does not need the external
power source, but works with the serial port. The problem is that to
work with it I need to control the lines RTS, DTR and TXD. The current
version of SERIAL.C allows to control the two first lines with the
IOCTL function, but TXD can only be controlleb by sending data to the
device. This doesn't allow to use this programmer, because it needs a
fully control in that line. But the PC's UART supports to have a full
control over that line with the bit 6 of the LCR register. This is the
SBC bit.

I have added some lines to the original SERIAL.C file in order to
support this functionality. I modified /usr/include/bits/ioctl-types.h
and /usr/src/linux/include/asm/termios.h too, in order to make this
changes fully coherent with the old functions. In this files, I added
the line

	#define TIOCM_SBC 0x200

to define the new bit. In termios.h, it is in the line 34, and in
ioctl-types.h it is in the line 57. This allows to use this definition
in the kernel source (termios.h) and in the programs compiled by the
users (ioctl-types.h).

The changes in SERIAL.C are in the get_modem_info() and
set_modem_info() functions, and in this last function, works with
TIOCMBIS, TIOCMBIC and TIOCMSET ioctl functions. The changes starts in
the line 1790.

I made the changes in the source code from the kernel 2.2.12. I think
that there's no changes in this file in kernel 2.2.14.

I attach you the three files in this message.

I haven't modified the part with the names. I am:

	Sergio Costas Rodriguez <[email-masked]>

Thank you for your attention.

-- 
Nos leemos
		  RASTER

[email-masked]      http://raster.cibermillennium.com

Have you tried GAG?  http://raster.cibermillennium.com/gageng.htm

---

From: Sergio Costas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 00:38:11 +0200

Hello again.

I have received some minutes ago a message from another person,
explain me the conditions to add a new patch to the kernel (I sent the
original message a week ago, and I thinked that the e-mail address was
die). I will propose the changes in the linux-kernel list, as she
recomends me in that e-mail.

Sorry for the mail.

-- 
Nos leemos
		  RASTER

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++