Subject: Evaluation board...

From: Kumar Ramanathan <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Apr 00 12:48:54 MDT

I have the IXp1200 network processor board and need to run linux on it's
strongARM core. 

Does the kernel need to be ported for the board ??

ASlso ,the board has only one serial port, so I can dnld the kernel only from
that port.No console output seems possible .

Is there a way I can make the kernel image output something to the serial port
so I can view it via the same port I use for downloasd of the kernel image ??

Or is there a way I can write to some memory address so that the leds on the
board can show some output ????

Please advice, it's been a blind download using Angelboot so far.

Thanks,
Krishna.

Erik Mouw <[email-masked]> wrote:
On Tue, 04 Apr 2000 16:59:16 -0600 (MDT), Kumar Ramanathan wrote:
> I was directed to your page from the LART site ... looking for RAMdisks.
> Can't find any , could you help me ???

Go to http://www.lart.tudelft.nl/ . In the left column is a link to "RAM
disk".

FYI: Nicolas Pitre released a very nice RAM disk a couple of days ago. Get
it at ftp://ftp.netwinder.org/users/n/nico/ramdisk_img.gz .

> I have a SA 1100 Evaluation board from Intel.

Eh, which evaluation board? Intel made quite a few.

Erik

-- 
J.A.K. (Erik) Mouw, Information and Communication Theory Group, Department
of Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems,
Delft University of Technology, PO BOX 5031,  2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands
Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email [email-masked]
WWW: http://www-ict.its.tudelft.nl/~erik/

____________________________________________________________________
Get free email and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com/?N=1

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++

---

From: Erik Mouw <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 11:23:02 +0200 (MET DST)

> Does the kernel need to be ported for the board ??

I'm not sure. As far as I know, you should be able to run standard SA1100
linux on it. Intel is also working to get Linux running on it, but they
want to use it in big-endian mode, so they need to change quite a lot. Ask
David Meng ([email-masked]) about the current status.

> that port.No console output seems possible .

Why not? I also using a single serial port to do console and download on a
normal SA1100 board. The second serial port isn't neccessary.

> so I can view it via the same port I use for downloasd of the kernel image ??

I don't have IXP1200 information available, but if its serial port is not
at the same location as the "normal" SA1100, you won't see anything at
all. I think you need to do some more low level debugging. If the board
has leds, try to blink them in one of the kernel initialization routines.
In that way you know if the kernel starts at all. That's how we did it
with the LART.

> board can show some output ????

I don't know, you really should download the IXP1200 documentation for
that. Debugging low level software without proper hardware documentation
is close to impossible.

Erik

-- 
Yes, it works sometimes. If you need something that "works sometimes"
use Windows! -- Victor Khimenko on linux-kernel