Subject: Can't compile a 2.2.14 kernel

From: Stephen Watson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 14:50:07 +0100

I've just failed to compile a 2.2.14 kernel (patched with rmk6).  The error
is:
# make zImage
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2   -pipe  -m6  -c -o init/main.o init/main.c
init/main.c:430: section attributes are not supported for this target
init/main.c:610: section attributes are not supported for this target
init/main.c:954: section attributes are not supported for this target
make: *** [init/main.o] Error 1
# gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/arm-unknown-linuxaout/2.7.2.2/specs
gcc version 2.7.2.2

-- 
Stephen Watson <URL:http://www.kerofin.demon.co.uk/> Glorantha & RISC OS
"Have you ever felt the rain before it falls?  Have you ever sensed the 
 storm before arrives on the horizon?  I don't think so."

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 19:32:04 +0100 (BST)

> Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/arm-unknown-linuxaout/2.7.2.2/specs

You cannot use this compiler to compile the kernel - it must be a compiler
capable of the ELF extensions (eg, gcc 2.8 or egcs).
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |            http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/            /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Stephen Watson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 12:04:40 +0100

In that finely crafted message
<[email-masked]>

> capable of the ELF extensions (eg, gcc 2.8 or egcs).

I suspected that might be the case.  I'm now downloading 2.95.2 but is there
anything else I will need?

-- 
Stephen Watson <URL:http://www.kerofin.demon.co.uk/> Glorantha & RISC OS
"and the static on the radio is drowning out the sound of Raingods dancing"