Subject: ARM Linux on CSoC?

From: "Eric Newman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 15:18:17 -0800

I am interested in getting Linux to run on a chip designed by my company.
Our chip is a Configurable System-on-Chip (CSoC) with an ARM7TDMI core. We
do have a memory protection unit, but it is rather crippled when compared to
the standard ARM MMU. Using our protection unit, we could define up to 8
areas of memory with various protection; I'm assuming we could use this
functionality to allow Linux to run with swapping, but I'm afraid of the
effort we'd have to put in to make this happen.

We also have programmable logic on the chip in the form of an FPGA, so we
could do extra things in hardware if we needed to. Do you think the best
course of action would be to try to hack ARM Linux to work with our memory
protection unit, or should we use uCLinux instead? What would be the
benefits of using a fully-functional Linux, as opposed to uCLinux? Would the
benefits outweigh any extra work that would be needed?

Thanks for any help,
Eric Newman

+------------------------+-------------------------+
|      Eric Newman       |  Triscend Corporation   |
| Tel: 650.968.8668 x121 |   301 N. Whisman Rd.    |
|   Fax: 650.934.9393    | Mountain View, CA 94043 |
|  [email-masked]  |    www.triscend.com     |
+------------------------+-------------------------+
|             T  R  I  S  C  E  N  D               |
|  Configurable System-on-Chip for Communications  |
+--------------------------------------------------+

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++