Subject: Flash, serial, net boot with bios-1.06

From: "¹éº´±â" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 01:29:47 KST

Hello...

I have a ebsa285 with only boot flash 512K.

I made a linux-arm 2.2.12 kernel(footbridge) and other tool chains including bios-1.06 and it's patch(serial loading and flash loading)

Now my problems are....

1) My kernel is 420K and bios is 13k.

How can I flash write the kernel with bios at 512k flash(0x41000000 - 0x4107ffff) to boot from flash ?

I think it's some what different LOAD_ADDR and MAGIC_??

2) To load kernel using 3c59x and tftp and To load kernel using serial ymodem, Could someone give me a simple direction where and how can I use the netdev as bootdev?

And how can I download the kernel using ymodem in minicom ?

Some procedure may be more helpful for me.

Thank you...

ByungGi Baek.

==================================================

[email-masked] ByungGi Baek

인터넷을 누벼라, 우리 태극기!

==================================================

No. 1 우리 인터넷, 다음

평생 쓰는 무료 E-mail 주소 Daum 한메일넷

지구촌 한글 검색서비스 Daum FIREBALL

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++ Please use [email-masked] for ++
++ kernel-related discussions. ++

---

From: Nicolas Pitre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 12:21:36 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, ¹éº´±â wrote:

> I made a linux-arm 2.2.12 kernel(footbridge) and other tool chains
> including bios-1.06 and it's patch(serial loading and flash loading)

I'll assume you used my patch to bios-1.06 which is also available as
ftp://ftp.netwinder.org/users/n/nico/ebsa285-bios-1.06.diff2.

> I think it's some what different LOAD_ADDR and MAGIC_??

Here's what you should do:

- You should read and understand the instructions at the top of
bios/drivers/char/flash.c.  Modify and recompile your kernel accordingly.
If you store the BIOS at 0x41000000, you could store the kernel zImage at
0x41008000 which leaves you 480k for its size.

- Enable flash booting option in bios/include/bios/config.h.

- Change link address at the top of bios/Makefile for TEXTADDR=0x41000080

- Build the BIOS.

- Make up your flash image like this:

	dd of=flash.bin if=bios
	dd of=flash.bin if=zImage bs=1k seek=32

You then can burn the flash.bin file on your flash chip.

If the bios stalls half way through, you may try commenting out the
isa_init() call in bios/init/main.c.  At least it helped me since I don't
have any ISA bridge.

> 2) To load kernel using 3c59x and tftp and To load kernel using serial
> ymodem, Could someone give me a simple direction where and how can I use
> the netdev as bootdev?

The 3C59x bios driver is not as complete as the one in the kernel.  If you
have a 3C90x card, you're out of luck.

> And how can I download the kernel using ymodem in minicom ?

Simply select the "serial port" boot method, and when prompted, send your
zImage over with minicom's upload/y-modem function.

Nicolas