Subject: still Problems with v2.3 kernels on my ARM710 RPC

From: Gustav Johann Werner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 03:17:30 GMT

Hi there,

Have there been major changes to the kernel from v2.2.7 to v2.3 that
require glibc recompilation?

I'm just wondering because I can not start any executables that fork()
somewhere. Especially the combination of fork() and waitpid() fails
every time.
It seems that the fork syscall succeeds. When running bash as init
task, I can execute a command with 'exec whatsoever'. This of curse
kills the init task when 'whatsoever' finishes, but just type the
command at the command line (in that case bash fork()s and waits for
the task to finish with waitpid) results in the same kernel panic that
init shows me every time.

The kernel itself however shows no sign of malfuctioning. It boots up
and initializes all the devices correctly. All the tasks that fork
from the kernel during startup don't panic the kernel at all. So the
glibc is the only thing that still remains for me as the source of the
trouble.

Thanks.

PS: Sorry for writing that here, I have difficulties mailing to
linux-arm-kernel.

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 07:14:39 +0000

>require glibc recompilation?

Not that I know of.  There are new features that you won't get access to 
without recompilation, but old binaries should still run fine.

>init shows me every time.

Please give more details.  If there's a kernel panic, what does it say?  Also, 
what kernel version are you using; do later 2.2 kernels (such as 2.2.14) work 
for you?

>All the tasks that fork from the kernel during startup don't panic the 
>kernel at all. So the glibc is the only thing that still remains for me 
>as the source of the trouble.

Kernel threads are somewhat special, so I wouldn't rule out a kernel problem 
here.  The ARM7 support is not very well tested.

p.