Subject: still attempting to build gcc

From: Philip Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 14:26:06 -0500

I am still attempting to build either a cross compiler or
a native on a netwinder of binutils-2.9.5.0.22 or 24
gcc-2.95.2 and glibc-2.1.2
Instead of taking up band with here, is there someone I can
contact directly for help?

thanks.

phil

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++

---

From: Scott Bambrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 15:58:13 -0500

> contact directly for help?

There are RPM's of 2.95.2 for a NetWinder at:

ftp://ftp.netwinder.org/users/s/scottb/current

Scott

-- 
Scott Bambrough - Software Engineer
REBEL.COM    http://www.rebel.com
NetWinder    http://www.netwinder.org

---

From: Erik Mouw <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 11:56:47 +0100 (MET)

> contact directly for help?

I also tried it last weekend on our Netwinder (dm-12 disk image, IIRC) and
failed, mainly because of lack of time. A native compile (with "make
bootstrap") fails because we're not building a _native_ compiler at all.
We want to make a _cross_ compiler for arm-unknown-linux-gnuoldld to
arm-unknown-linux-gnu.

If you want to build a compiler on the Netwinder, sticky to Chris Rutters
notes and build a cross compiler. If you're completely fed up with
building cross compilers, download my precompiled i386 to arm cross
compiler at:

  http://www-ict.its.tudelft.nl/~erik/open-source/arm-linux-cross/

Erik

-- 
Computers run on faith, not electrons. -- T.N. Thompson

---

From: Erik Mouw <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 15:16:28 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000 14:06:36 +0000, Philip Blundell wrote:
>>What we (== Phil Blazie and I) actually want to build is a glibc-2.1.2
>>based toolchain that doesn't interfere with the original installation.
> 
> Surely you can achieve that by just building with a suitable --prefix argument 
> (ie anything other than /usr or /usr/local).

I tried to install it in /data/lart/install and it failed. I didn't have
time enough to find out why, but it can't be more difficult than trying to
compile gcc-2.95.2 on ancient SUNs ;-).

Erik

-- 
"I'm just this guy you know?"  -- Zaphod Beeblebrox in
"The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 13:21:37 +0000

>We want to make a _cross_ compiler for arm-unknown-linux-gnuoldld to

That's a fairly nonsensical thing to do, actually.  All the -oldld suffix 
means is that you are targeting an old version of binutils.  It makes no 
difference at all as a host system.

If "configure; make bootstrap" fails then something is wrong with gcc itself
or your installed tools.  What's the error you get?

p.

---

From: Erik Mouw <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 15:00:26 +0100 (MET)

> difference at all as a host system.

No, I'm not targeting an old version of binutils; that's where I start
from. Maybe I didn't make myself clear, so I'll try to explain it in more
detail.

My Netwinder has a dm12 disk image, so that is gcc-2.8.1 with
binutils-2.9.1 (IIRC). Config.guess reports that this particular setup is
known as arm4vl-unknown-linux-gnuoldld, which means that it still uses
elf32-arm as output format instead of the newer elf32-littlearm. To build
glibc-2.1.2, you need gcc-2.95.2 and binutils-2.9.5 (I used 2.9.5.0.22).

What we (== Phil Blazie and I) actually want to build is a glibc-2.1.2
based toolchain that doesn't interfere with the original installation.
I think that is *exactly* the definition of a cross compiler.

> or your installed tools.  What's the error you get?

Sorry, I can't check, I don't have access to the Netwinder from here.

Erik

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 14:06:36 +0000

p.