Subject: arm jre ?

From: Per Borgentun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 15:45:57 +0100

Hello,

 Does anyone know if there are any working jre for the strongArm
 running arm-linux with glibc-2.1.2 ?
 
 I tried jdk-1.1.8 but that seems to be compiled against
 glibc-2.0 (I'm using glibc-2.1.2)
 Does anyone have a jdk compiled against glibc-2.1.* ?

 I also tried kaffe 1.0.5 ( I got it to compile after setting
 --host=arm-linux --target=arm-linux on my pentium machine)
 but it says:
  BUG IN DYNAMIC LINKER ld.so: ../sysdeps/arm/dl-machine.h: 450: 
  elf_machine_rel: Assertion `! "unexpected dynamic reloc type"' failed! 
 when I try to run my HelloWorld progam.
  
 I'm using binutils 2.9.5.0.14, glibc-2.1.2, gcc-2.95.2 
 
Thanks.
/Per  Borgentun [email-masked] 

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++

---

From: Ralph Siemsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 18:29:50 -0500

>  when I try to run my HelloWorld progam.

Presumably the target is a NetWinder - this message is emitted by the
loader when running code with 24-bit relocs.  Chances are you have not
built the package using -fpic option, or the cross compiler is not
configured quite right.

-- 
Ralph Siemsen -- [email-masked]

---

From: Peter Naulls <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 08:44:03 +0000

In message <[email-masked]>

>  when I try to run my HelloWorld progam.

There's also mine, which I've recently ported to ARMLinux - I can
let people have a fiddle if they promise to provide useful feedback.
Sorry, there's no AWT or network support at this time.

Peter

-- 
+---------------------------------------------+-----------------------------+
| Peter Naulls - [email-masked]              |                             |
| http://free.prohosting.com/~chocky/         | Java and JVM Consultant     |
| Java for RISC OS and ARM - [email-masked] | Technical Author            |
| http://free.prohosting.com/~chocky/java/    | Program performance analyst |
+---------------------------------------------+-----------------------------+

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 09:42:02 +0000

>built the package using -fpic option, or the cross compiler is not

It'll happen on any ARM machine.  Scott has actually patched ld.so now to 
allow non-PIC shared objects, so we should see less of this in future.

p.

---

From: Ralph Siemsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 06:56:57 -0500

> allow non-PIC shared objects, so we should see less of this in future.

Correct on both accounts, though numerous libraries also suffer from the
same problem - so it will take a little while yet to sort out all the
occurrences.