Subject: problems with cross compiled code

From: Philip Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 10:36:21 -0500

I downloaded George Frances cross tool chain and
installed it on my intel box. I was able to compile a simple test program successfully.
however, when I try to run it on the netwinder, I get
the following error messages.

./test: /lib/libc.so.6: no version information available (required by ./test)
./test: error in loading shared libraries: ./test: symbol __libc_start_main, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference (no version symbols)

both system are using libc-2.12.
any ideas how I might solve this problem?

thanks
phil

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++

---

From: Rod Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 12:11:28 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Philip Hall wrote:

> I downloaded George Frances cross tool chain and installed it on my
> intel box. I was able to compile a simple test program successfully.
> however, when I try to run it on the netwinder, I get the following
> error messages.
> 
> ./test: /lib/libc.so.6: no version information available (required by
> ./test) ./test: error in loading shared libraries: ./test: symbol
> __libc_start_main, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6
> with link time reference (no version symbols)
> 
> 

Yes, George's tool chain is for a versioned glibc system.  I'm assuming
you have a default installed DM build on your Netwinder.  The current
NetWinders ship with a non versioned glibc.  The two are binary
incompatible.

If you still want to use George's tool chain, you will have to create
static binaries and you should have no problem running them...

Or if you are brave you can give my cross compiler RPMS a try.  Currently
they are built for a host system of i586, or i686.  You would most likely
want the ones available via ftp from:
	ftp://ftp.nw.carleton.ca/cross/i586-armv4l/non-versioned/
or
	ftp://ftp.netwinder.org
		/users/s/stewart/cross/i586-armv4l/non-versioned/

Good luck,
-Rms

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 16:58:02 +0000

>./test: error in loading shared libraries: ./test: symbol __libc_start_main, v
>ersion GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference (no ve
>rsion symbols)

The NetWinder is using an unversioned libc but you compiled against a 
versioned copy.

>any ideas how I might solve this problem?

The easiest fix is just to build an unversioned library on your 
cross-development platform.

p.