Subject: My first 'hello world' has a problem...

From: Jeff Sutherland <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 14:01:38 -0500

Well, I *think* I've managed to get through the rather ponderous task of
installing binutils, gcc and newlib on an i686 platform targeted at
"arm-linux".  When compiling hello.c the linker is complaining about
something:

/pub/usr/arm-linux/bin/ld: unrecognised emulation mode: elf32arm
Supported emulations: armelf_linux, armelf_linux26, armelf
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I'm running binutils-2.9.5.0.27.  Is there a patch I've missed?
Also have gcc-2.95.2 (didn't find any patches that made sense), built with
kernel headers from 2.2.14 (patched with patch-2.2.14-rmk4), and
newlib-1.8.2 (no patches)

//Jeff

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 21:28:56 +0000

>I'm running binutils-2.9.5.0.27.  Is there a patch I've missed?

No, but you failed to read the binutils release note.

>Also have gcc-2.95.2 (didn't find any patches that made sense),

Try the "2.95.3" patch from ftp.netwinder.org:/users/p/philb.

p.