Subject: Cross-compiler: Oh no, not again!

From: Vasant Ramasubramanian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 18:03:16 -0600 (CST)

Hey all.

Sorry to ask these questions (because I know they've been answered a 1000
times) but what versions of GCC/Binuitls/EGCS should I use if I want to
setup a cross-compiler on my x86 Linux machine?

I looked at Chris Rutter's guide, but he suggested to not use the 2.9.5
binutils. However, I thought I heard Nico mention using 2.9.52 was ok with
his 2.3.x patched kernel. Also, is Chris's website the most update/current
guide to follow? In the past I've used the Intel guide.

Also, when I setup the new tool chain, it shouldn't change the compiler
that my x86 system uses(for x86 code), should it?

If it matters, my target is a Brutus / StrongARM SA1100.

Thanks for the help,
Vasant.

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 11:19:59 +0000

>setup a cross-compiler on my x86 Linux machine?

In future, please check the mailing list archives before you post.

>guide to follow? In the past I've used the Intel guide.

Use 2.9.5.x.  Chris' guide is slightly out of date.  The Intel page contains 
some mistakes too.

>that my x86 system uses(for x86 code), should it?

No.

p.