Subject: Re: Installation

From: Wookey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 13:52:42 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun 20 Feb, Matthew King wrote:
> The first problem I have is getting the files onto the acorn (RPC600,
> 540MB, 5MB). Sticking the HD in my i386 box doesn't work, 

no, a filecore-formatted drive won't be recognised in a PC. It would be
possible to get it recognised by compiling up a suitable kernel with adfs
module but I don't know offhand what bits/version/patches of kernel
source you would need to do that, nor at which version write support was
added (which you would need to transfer files to the ADFS HD). When you
say 'the files' you don't really make it clear what files you currently
have, nor where they are currently residing? Do you have the Clan CD
release, or have you downloaded some stuff onto the PC? 

> and I don't have
> any CD drivers for RISCOS. Would it be at all possible for someone to send
> me these? 

Do you mean you don't have a CD in the RISCOS box, and if you plug one in
it's not recognised? How to get it recognised depends on which version of
RISCOS you have. For ROS 3.7 or later most ATAPI drives should 'just
work' if you configure them in !Boot and ensure the CDFSsoftATAPI module
is not unplugged. For earlier versions of RISCOS you would need to
buy/get a suitable driver (e.g GBP 15+VAT from CTA direct according to
the Acorn User I have handy). 

Another appoach would be to network the machine and install the files
from the PC over an NFS mount. (If you haven't aleady got a network
card(s) though this will cost significantly more than getting a CD drive
for the RPC). You could also try one fo the 'cheap and cheerful'
serial/parallel '2-machine networks' available. I don't know if any of
these work cross-platform between PC & RPC, but they might...

What about downloading the files via the modem directly onto the RPC?

> Then, I am behind a 33.6 modem, so I cannot simply download the entire
> distribution, however, I got the files I thought would be most important,
> and am hoping to use sources from one of the distros I have: Debian 2.1r2,
> SuSE 6.1 and RedHat 4.2 (I'm guessing this will be the best choice)

The easiest way to fix this problem is probably to wait a couple of weeks
and buy the imminent 'ARMLinux for RiscPC' CD from Aleph One which will
have the entire existing distribution on, somewhat tidied up and
documented to make for a straightforward install. (details will be
announced once it's actually ready). You would still have to sort out
either a CD ROM or a network for the RPC though.

Hope that helps.

Wookey
-- 
Aleph One Ltd, Bottisham, CAMBRIDGE, CB5 9BA, UK  Tel (00 44) 1223 811679
work: http://www.aleph1.co.uk/     play: http://www.chaos.org.uk/~wookey/

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++

---

From: Matthew King <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 18:32:03 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Wookey wrote:

:> and I don't have
:> any CD drivers for RISCOS. Would it be at all possible for someone to send
:> me these? 

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I have two ATAPI CD drives (48X and
2X). I was expecting to transfer the files I have (listed in my previous
post) via a CD/RW (I also have a bburner). 

Though i'm begining to realise this is a bit pointless because i need the
rpc (running riscos 3.5, btw) on the network.

Where can I get the (network) hardware for this? Preferably cheap, but
this is largely irrelevent.

Also, I now look forward to the CD w/ arm-linux on it. However, I'll still
need drivers to access my cd drive in the arm box. Surely you don't
actually need to pay for something so basic? But if I do, I guess I will.

:Hope that helps.
:
:Wookey

-- 
Matthew "TheNut" King