Subject: arm-linux cross-gcc build

From: kjdevel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 1999 16:32:22 +0100 (MET)

Hi,

I'm trying to build the latest version of the gnu cross-compiling 
toolchain for arm-linux targets (in my case, on a i686-linux host, 
for a Psion Series 5 target)

Chris Rutter's webpage seems to describe the necessary steps
 quite well, nevertheless I have a few remaining questions.

The files/versions I intend to use:

binutils-2.9.5.0.19.tar.bz2
gcc-core-2.95.2.tar.gz
gcc-2.95.2-diff-991022.gz  
glibc-2.1.2
 
My questions:
1a. should the fold-const patch mentioned on Chis Rutters page still be
   applied to gcc-core-2.95.2? If yes, before or after
   gcc-2.95.2-diff-991022?
1b. Chriss's page also mentions that in  gcc/config/arm/linux-elf.h, the
    line that reads #if 0 (near the top) should be changed to #if 1.
    I can't find that line. Perhaps that change is no longer needed?

2. gcc-2.95.2-diff-991022 doesn't apply cleanly to gcc-core-2.95.2, e.g.,
   the files gcc/cp/parse.h and parse.c are not found, is that a problem? 

3. the -Dinhibit_libc hack still seems needed when first building gcc as a
   cross-compiler (i.e., without glibc), is there perhaps a more elegant
   method? 

4. which linux kernel versions are compatible with the above versions of
   the tool-chain?
   (in particular, how about linux-2.2.1, since it seems to be the
   de facto standard for the Psion)

Thanks in advance,
Klaasjan van Druten

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 20:34:46 +0000

>   applied to gcc-core-2.95.2? If yes, before or after

No.  A better patch is already included in gcc-2.95.2.

>    I can't find that line. Perhaps that change is no longer needed?

No, it is no longer there.  The autoconf machinery should sort out the 
binutils versioning stuff for you.

>   the files gcc/cp/parse.h and parse.c are not found, is that a problem? 

No.  The `cp' directory is C++ and not included in the `core' distribution.  
But those patches are useless anyway so you are not missing anything.

>   cross-compiler (i.e., without glibc), is there perhaps a more elegant

No, unfortunately not.

>   de facto standard for the Psion)

The kernel experts can probably answer this more definitively (try the 
linux-arm-kernel list), but I'm fairly sure that version will not work.  
Both the 2.2 and 2.3 kernels in CVS seem to be OK though.

p.

---

From: Chris Rutter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 17:15:08 +0000 (GMT)

>    applied to gcc-core-2.95.2? If yes, before or after

No no, this is purely for 2.95 and 2.95.1 -- I'll make this a little
clearer.

>     I can't find that line. Perhaps that change is no longer needed?

Again, a pre-2.95.2 thing.  It's all handled in `configure' now as
far as I can see.  Look for `SUBTARGET_OLD_LINKER' -- that's what's
replaced the old stuff.

>    the files gcc/cp/parse.h and parse.c are not found, is that a problem? 

Nope, those are C++ files, and aren't in your distribution.  I'll add
a note about this.

>    cross-compiler (i.e., without glibc), is there perhaps a more elegant

Er, not that I know of.

> 4. which linux kernel versions are compatible with the above versions of

Um, no idea.  I tend to use the most recent versions of tools available,
with the rationale that being too tentative to use newer is hardly
going to make bugs in the newest stuff get fixed any faster (if you
parse that senence).

-- 
Chris <[email-masked]>                         ( http://www.fluff.org/chris )