Subject: Audio and Cross-compiling

From: Vasant Ramasubramanian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:34:46 -0600 (CST)

Hello again:

After much fooling around on my Brutus board, I got audio to work but I
had to use a nmod with 42 as the major for the UCB1200/audio device; did
anyone else have to do this manually? 

This may have been covered elsewhere, but if I wish to cross-compile a
program, is there any "clean" way of doing so? (Compile an ARM Linux
program on my x86 PII which has been setup with the cross-compilers).

I can directly invoke arm-linux-gcc on my PC which produces programs that
I can transfer to / run on the ARM target[Brutus]. However, if a program
uses a configure script is there a prefered way of telling it that my
target is an ARM platform? (If so what do I tell it for the platform
type?). 

To give some background, I'm trying to compile some simple sound apps (I
tried to cross-compile SAPlay from Nicolas 's dir on Netwinder but I
endedup mucking around with the Makefile and not getting it to compile
properly).

I appreciate any help, sorry if this has been covered elsewhere.

Vasant.

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++

---

From: Erik Mouw <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 13:44:39 +0100 (MET)

> target is an ARM platform? (If so what do I tell it for the platform

Assumed that you build on i[3456]86-linux, use:

  setenv CC arm-linux-gcc
  ./configure --target=arm-unknown-linux-gnu --host=i386-unknown-linux

Try "./configure --help" for more options.

Erik

-- 
J.A.K. (Erik) Mouw, Information and Communication Theory Group, Department
of Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems,
Delft University of Technology, PO BOX 5031,  2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands
Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email [email-masked]
WWW: http://www-ict.its.tudelft.nl/~erik/

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 20:55:10 +0000

>  ./configure --target=arm-unknown-linux-gnu --host=i386-unknown-linux

No.  `--target' is only meaningful for programs that write programs, in other 
words compilers and assemblers.  If you want to compile some random program to 
run on an ARM machine you need `CC=arm-linux-gcc ./configure 
arm-unknown-linux-gnu', with an option on `--build=..' if it needs extra clues 
that it's in a cross environment.

p.