Subject: compiling net-tools for sa1100

From: nizzo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 14:00:12 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I have a question regarding how to compile the net-tools package. I've
built the development system using intels instructions(newest versions
used). I have a working kernel and ramdisk. I am now trying to get
networking up.

I've been using SRPMS and then copying the gz's. 

Are the pppd patches included needed?

I've compiled the pppd package by manually changing 
CC=/usr/local/arm/bin/arm-linux-gcc

The compile produced binaries and file reports them ARM executables.

For the net-tools I took a similar approach changing CC in the
Makefiles. I also applied a patch that came with the package. Also
included is a net-tools-1.48-config.h file which I dont know where it
goes.

The first time I tried to make the package I got

lib/libnet-tools.a: could not read symbols: Archive has no index: run
ranlib to add one
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [ifconfig] Error 1

I then ran ranlib on libnet-tools.a and ran make again. It failed again
so I touch all the c files and reran ranlib. Tried make and it failed
again.

when I ran nm -s over the .a I file I got this:

It all stderr

(partial content too big too list)
nm: activate.o: File format not recognized

etc. for all the object files

if i change the order around in the Makefile to hostname first It
compiles and then stops on ifconfig.

Let me know if I'm going about building these cross-compiled packages
wrong. 

Thanks,
nizzo

=====

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Bid and sell for free at http://auctions.yahoo.com
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 22:27:51 +0000

>so I touch all the c files and reran ranlib. Tried make and it failed

You need to use arm-linux-ranlib, ie the target version.  (The reason this 
happened is because the makefile used plain `ar' and not arm-linux-ar.)

>Let me know if I'm going about building these cross-compiled packages

No; cross-compiling anything that doesn't use autoconf is likely to be 
painful.  What's wrong with the precompiled binaries, out of interest?

p.