Subject: Problems building a cross compiler from i686-linux to arm-linux

From: "Bas Mevissen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 10:33:14 +0100

Hi all,

I'm new to arm-linux and Arm, but already for 5 years in Linux/i386.

As a sort of hobby, I want to make a port of Linux to the Connexant
Superpipe single chip MCNS/DVB cablemodem chip. For building the kernel, I
want to use a cross compiler to compile the kernel.

First I tried egcs-1.0.2, because that's also my native i686 code compiler.
The compilation ended with missing crt*.o files. Seems I have to get these
files somewhere. :-)

But, because gcc-2.95 is the preferred compiler, I tried to compile this.
What I found was that egcs-1.0.2 is not able to compile it. It fails on some
*stream.cc in libiberty. It did succeed in building libgcc.a from the .S
sources, so that's one good thing already.

So my question is, what is the best thing to do? I want to make goed
packages for cross compiling from i686 to Arm and are prepared to spend some
time building them. After that, I want to write good documentation (Linux in
general lacks that!) and then continue porting to the SuperPipe.

Who can give me some hints?

Bas.

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++