Subject: Mailing lists

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 22:11:13 +0000 (GMT)

Hi All,

It has come to my attention that "users" of ARM Linux do not want to
use the main mailing list for their questions.

In order to make it easier for them, I am requesting that people move
the kernel related discussions to [email-masked],
thus making linux-arm relate to everything user-space and installation
based issues, which is the field of questions that should be on the main
mailing list.

The carrot should be less email for those people who aren't interested
in users complaints, etc, and the users don't see so much of technical-
related discussions.

To provide the stick, I expect this move to be complete by next weekend,
and from that point, any person not observing this will be unsubscribed
from the linux-arm list.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 1999 13:26:39 +0000

>Which of these two should be used for questions regarding 
>"building the GNU toolchain for ARM targets"? 
>These are user programs, but they are used for building the kernel, hence
>my question.

Compiling the kernel isn't their raison d'etre.  The compiler experts don't 
necessarily hang out on the linux-arm-kernel list; the best place to post 
questions about those tools is either here, or on the crossgcc list (for 
cross-compiling issues), or on the binutils or gcc mailing lists.

p.

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
++        Please use [email-masked] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++

---

From: kjdevel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 08:56:49 +0100 (MET)

> based issues, which is the field of questions that should be on the main

I just subscribed to both of these lists.

Klaasjan van Druten.

---

From: Erik Mouw <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 99 23:32:06 +0100

> based issues, which is the field of questions that should be on the main

OK, what's the subscription address?

> and from that point, any person not observing this will be unsubscribed

Ouch! ;-)

Erik

-- 
J.A.K. (Erik) Mouw, Information and Communication Theory Group, Department
of Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems,
Delft University of Technology, PO BOX 5031,  2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands
Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email [email-masked]
WWW: http://www-ict.its.tudelft.nl/~erik/

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 09:27:48 +0000 (GMT)

> These are user programs, but they are used for building the kernel, hence

They are part of the user environment and are also used to compile user
programs; they should go to the main linux-arm list for the time being.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 22:37:02 +0000 (GMT)

> OK, what's the subscription address?

Hmm, yes, I suppose that'd help ;)  It's on the web site (as usual), and
for ease of use:

 send mail to [email-masked] containing in the subject
 line:

subscribe linux-arm-kernel
   _____

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 17:02:38 +0000 (GMT)

> subscribe linux-arm-kernel

Ok, that should read 'body' instead of 'subject'.
   _____