Subject: Re: EBSA285 in Add-in Mode + Local ide disk

From: Mark van Doesburg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 15:47:50 +0200

And to butt back into the previous/related topic on HOST/ADD-IN
	mode, I tend to agree with Phil here.  The add-in mode should be
	given more access to the PCI bus.  We were able to do it with
	only a few patches made to the add-in mode configuration
	(basically copying a few memory-mappings and defines from the
	host mode).  As long as the programmer is smart enough to only
	have a driver installed on either the host or the EBSA there
	shouldn't be a problem.

This might be usefull for expirimentation but I really don't want to
have PCI stuff in my add-in EBSA285. The reason is very simple, I don't
need it and IMHO PCI cards shouldn't deal with the PCI configuration
space.  Making PCI an option when building an add in kernel seems like a
good idea if people want this kind of access.

greetings,

Mark.
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Jonathan Foster Kliegman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 13:33:38 -0700

> good idea if people want this kind of access.

I agree with you here - it should be an option just like in the other
kernel builds.  I'd forgotton I had to force CONFIG_PCI to equal Yes
since its not selectable.  If I recall correctly, the EBSA-285 needs to
look at the PCI configuration space if it wants to control another
card.  

-Jon