Subject: kernel changes for binutils

From: "Marc D. Bumble" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 11:01:32 -0400

Hi,

I'm  not sure  if this  is the  correct place  to report  this  and the
resulting kernel is not tested at  the moment, but it seems to compile
well.  Hopefully  this is helpful.   Thanks for all the  assistance on
this  newsgroup.

Followed H.J.  Lu's instruction  on setting up binutils from linux-gcc
newsgroup.                                                          
See http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-gcc%40vger.rutgers.edu/msg00535.html

Apologies if this is already common knowledge :).

Kernel changes required for compiling Linux kernel 2.2.12 with binutils-2.9.4.0.6

file:
linux-2.2.12/arch/arm/boot/compressed/Makfile: ln 35
    elf32-arm gets changed to elf32-littlearm

    $(LD) -r -o piggy.o -b binary $$tmppiggy.gz -b elf32-littlearm -T $$tmppiggy.lnk; \

file:
linux-2.2.12/arch/arm/boot/compressed/Makfile.debug: ln 22

    arm-linuxelf-objcopy --change-leading-char -I elf32-littlearm -O arm-aout32-linux \
        $(COMPRESSED_EXTRA) ll_char_wr.aout.o

file:
linux-2.2.12/arch/arm/vmlinux-armo.lds: ln 8

	/* OUTPUT_FORMAT("elf32-arm", "elf32-arm", "elf32-arm") */
	OUTPUT_FORMAT("elf32-littlearm", "elf32-littlearm", "elf32-littlearm")

file:
linux-2.2.12/arch/arm/vmlinux-armv.lds: ln 8

/* OUTPUT_FORMAT("elf32-arm", "elf32-arm", "elf32-arm") */
OUTPUT_FORMAT("elf32-littlearm", "elf32-littlearm", "elf32-littlearm")

-- 

/++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++/

Marc Bumble	phone:	 (617) 796-2540
		fax:	 (617) 965-8342

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 17:03:58 +0100

>    $(LD) -r -o piggy.o -b binary $$tmppiggy.gz -b elf32-littlearm -T $$tmppig

I suspect the resulting kernel will still not work with these changes; you 
need to alter the linker script a bit more.  If you get a newer version, the 
required patches are already included.  Or if you want I can mail you a copy 
of the updated script and you can just drop it in to your tree.

p.