Subject: Beginner glibc help

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 03:22:14 +0000

Hi, this is my first attempt at building a cross-compiling environment
for the ARM. I've gotten binutils and gcc built but I am having problems
with glibc. I used glibc-2.1.2 and configured it using:
'./configure arm-linux --build=i586-linux --prefix=/usr/local/arm/tools
--enable-add-ons'
and then run 'make' and the process errors out with:
'/usr/local/arm/tools/arm-linux/bin/ld: unrecognized emulation mode:
elf32arm'

Does anyone have any ideas what I did wrong? Or anymore information I
need to provide to help out?

-- 
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Benjamin Stocks
Computer Engineering
Milwaukee School of Engineering
email: [email-masked]
http://www.msoe.edu/~stocksb

"Don't Panic"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:40:45 +0100

>'/usr/local/arm/tools/arm-linux/bin/ld: unrecognized emulation mode:

Did you read the binutils release notes?

p.

---

From: Benjamin Stocks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 12:07:37 +0000

Does anyone host them on a site? I can't locate them in the binutils
source tar.

voice: 414.220.9683

"Don't Panic"

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 13:19:59 +0100

>Does anyone host them on a site? I can't locate them in the binutils

ftp://ftp.varesearch.com:/pub/support/hjl/binutils/release.binutils-2.9.5.0.12

p.

---

From: Benjamin Stocks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 23:51:34 +0000

Read them, they talk about a spec file that may need altering for gcc to
work properly. Does anyone know which spec file they are talking about?
This also looks like a problem with ld not gcc. Are we the only ones to
have this problem?

"Don't Panic"

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 09:33:19 +0100

>work properly. Does anyone know which spec file they are talking about?

/usr/lib/gcc-lib/arm-linux/2.95/specs

>This also looks like a problem with ld not gcc. Are we the only ones to

No, the problem is with gcc.  It is passing the wrong options to ld.

p.

---

From: Benjamin Stocks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 11:23:47 +0000

Found and fixed the spec file and gcc looks much happier, now the build
of glibc breaks much later in the build so I'll investigate that. Thanks
much!

"Don't Panic"