Subject: Re: Feasibility of SA1100 16MB/smaller machines?

From: Dave Borja <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 09:09:30 -0700

Hi all,
  I'm new at this and find this list a goldmine of wisdom from
all you vets. My organization is considering using linux
on a device based on the brutus reference board w/16mb
dram. I'm wondering if that is reasonable for linux? What's
the memory footprint really look like? We are also thinking
of using linux for an even smaller board built around the
sa110. This has 8mb ram, 4mb flash and an ide hard drive.
Given the hd, we can make a reasonable amount of swap
space,  so we should be ok. Or am I off base? 
  Thanks,
 Dave Borja

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 17:46:31 +0100 (BST)

> space,  so we should be ok. Or am I off base? 

It sounds feasible.  (I'm actually just merging the SA1100 stuff (for Brutus
and others) into the main ARM tree atm).

btw, please use a subject line!
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 18:20:56 +0100

>the memory footprint really look like?

Depends what you're using it for.  With no swap space 16MB will be tight if 
you want to run normal Unix programs.  If it is a dedicated system running 
only a particular application, and/or you are prepared to spend some time 
optimizing things for space usage, it should be ok.

p.

---

From: Nicolas Pitre <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 10:39:12 -0400 (EDT)

> the memory footprint really look like?

We developed an embedded product around Linux ans the SA1100.  The
kernel and the application runs happily on the system which have only 4
megs of ram.

It realy depends on what you want to do.

Nicolas