Subject: PCI IDE controller?

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 07:32:00 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,

We're looking into adding a PCI IDE controller onto our ebsa285-like
board at work for a future release, and I was wondering what type of
support Linux-ARM has for these?  Specifically, is anyone using a
certain one with a workable driver?

--
Kyle Mestery			| StorageTek's Storage Networking Group
[email-masked]		| http://www.freebsd.org/
[email-masked]		| http://www.netwinder.org/
	Protect your right to privacy: www.freecrypto.org

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <pb@fountain>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 13:52:02 +0100

>certain one with a workable driver?

The CATS uses an ALi 1543 chip which seems to work fine (including UDMA).  The 
NetWinder has a Winbond one which is also OK.

p.

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 19:18:24 +0100 (BST)

> certain one with a workable driver?

The following PCI IDE drivers:

1. Promise UDMA33
   This seems to work fine up to UDMA mode 2, so long as you can
   confirm that your PCI bus clock is running at 33MHz +/- 2%.
   (running at 30MHz like mine was is good enough for reading, but
   corrupted silently on writing).
2. Winbond SL82C105
   This is fine, so long as you don't use any of it's DMA modes.
   As soon as you do, the chip appears to cop-out.  I know that some
   people are looking into getting DMA working on this again, but
   current advice is not to use DMA on these devices.
3. Ali 15x3 (? or whatever it is)
   No experiance of this chip - I believe Phil has some information on
   this one.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]