Subject: Re: EBSA285 and Cacheing

From: Mark van Doesburg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 23:54:56 +0200

I tried implementing a vmalloc_uncached (with the help of
	Russel) but unfortunately, virt_to_bus can't get the physical
	address of a vmalloc'ed area, and I didn't want to walk the page
	tables.

	I had to stop hacking on this (more urgent work to do), but I
	beleive there is still the possibility to use the low-level
	_ioremap function to create a second, uncachable, mapping for a
	given kmalloc'ed region. If you make sure to invalidate it once,
	and then only use the address returned by _ioremap, this should
	work.

	I'll do more experiments with this next week,

A student here at the UT told me he had this working last week. I didn't
have the time yet to test it but I hope I'll be able to test it this
week.

greetings,

Mark.
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 10:29:58 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,

> have the time yet to test it but I hope I'll be able to test it this
For uncacheable memory, I talked with Phil Blundell about this, and he
pointed me at the framebuffer for the sa1100 linuxarm port.  I pulled
the bits out of there that grabbed memory in the kernel and marked it
uncacheable, and made it a separate routine.  I haven't tested it yet
other than to verify the call suceeds and memory is returned.  I can
post the routine to the list if anyone is interested.

--
Kyle Mestery			| StorageTek's Storage Networking Group
[email-masked]		| http://www.freebsd.org/
[email-masked]		| http://www.netwinder.org/
	Protect your right to privacy: www.freecrypto.org