Subject: About Real-Time linux

From: Hiroshi Ishii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 13:06:38 +0900

Hi, Everyone hacking today!

So, Anyone interesting Real-Time Linux?
RT-linux(http://luz.cs.nmt.edu/~rtlinux/) seems only for
i386 user.

How about arm or StrongArm?

Thanks,

----
Funai Electric R & D Co.,LTD  Hiroshi Ishii

  /\ May the Forth be with you .... always! \/    
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Ben Williamson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 01:53:53 -0700 (PDT)

> RT-linux(http://luz.cs.nmt.edu/~rtlinux/) seems only for

Unless you've got a specific realtime task that you'd like to discuss,
I'm not sure that there's much to talk about at the moment.  I did find
the manifesto on the page that you mentioned to be a very good discussion
of the issues involved, so thanks for the link.

It occurs to me that FIQ interrupts are a good candidate for dealing with
some hard realtime requirements.  Because FIQs have a seperate mask bit in
the cpsr, I think they should be able to interrupt pretty much anything
going on in Linux.  You'd need to arrange for a driver to communicate with
the FIQ thread in a way that only blocks FIQs in a deterministic way, of
course.  Does that help you at all?

Cheers,

- Ben.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben Williamson       [email-masked]     http://www.pobox.com/~benw/

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 10:59:18 +0100

>How about arm or StrongArm?

I don't think anybody is currently working on an ARM port of RTLinux.  I 
talked to some people about it a few months back but as far as I know nobody 
has yet done anything.

Did you have any particular applications in mind for it?

p.

---

From: David Rusling <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 11:44:48 +0100

> talked to some people about it a few months back but as far as I know nobody

ARM are interested in it - if there is anyone current doing any work in this
area, please let me know.   Meanwhile, I'm porting Linux to a couple of
new evaluation boards from ARM.

--
----------------------------------------------------------------------
David A Rusling   Consulting Engineer
    Advanced RISC Machines Limited
    Liberty House,
    Moorbridge Road,
    Maidenhead, SL6 8LT

    Tel: UK-(0)1628-427754
    Fax: UK-(0)1628-780551
    e-mail: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------