Subject: Can't seem to login ????

From: Iain Grant <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 16:03:54 +0100

Advice required.

I 've just pulled over the base-3.0-1.tar.gz from the netwinder web site so
that we can customize the system image for our EBSA-285. ( NFS mounting the
image from our Alpha Linux host )
I have managed to remove all the netwinder specific startup options from the
rc.sysinit file, my system gets all the way up to the login prompt,
I type in the username 'root' then hit return at the password prompt and it
hangs ???

The only change I made was to the inittab file so that it pointed to getty
instead of mingetty by commenting out the tty devices and adding

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS0 DT9600 vt100

I also had to pull the getty program from the full image into the base
image.

We are using the 2.3.15 kernel. ( Have I forgotten to switch something on
... )

Any Ideas.

Iain

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 19:23:47 +0100 (BST)

> I 've just pulled over the base-3.0-1.tar.gz from the netwinder web site so

Are you sure it was 3.0-1?  The only reason I ask is that I seem to have
a significantly later 3.0 image than that.  If it is a very early release,
then there could well be many many problems with it.

> We are using the 2.3.15 kernel. ( Have I forgotten to switch something on

Did you configure in nwfpe, or load the acorn fpe module?
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]