Subject: More fun building my ToolChain: glibc

From: Francois Desloges <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 13:59:43 -0400

Ok! Still in the process of builiding my toolchain
With a functional binutils 2.9.5.0.11 and a functionnal gcc-2.95.1 all
installed in /usr/arm-linux, and a kernel 2.2.10 approprietely patched, with
the include/linux and include/asm transfered at the right
/usr/arm-linux/include place

I've downloaded 
glibc-2.1.2.tar.bz2   
glibc-crypt-2.0.111.tar.gz
glibc-linuxthreads-2.1.2.tar.bz2

I've make sure that the changes were made to
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/ar-linux/2.95.1/specs 
as recommended by release.binutils-2.9.5.0.12, and they were.

So I did
# CC=linux-arm-gcc
# ./configure arm-linux --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr/arm-linux --enable-add-ons
# make PARALLELMFLAGS=-j2 

The --build argument is from the target name given by gcc-2.95.1 ./configure,
as recommended at Step 7 of Intel toolchain guide for gcc:
http://developer.intel.com/design/strong/applnots/sa1100lx/egcs_c.htm
The PARALLELMFLAGS=-j2 is to enjoy my dual celeron :)

After 8 minutes of building, it stops with:

arm-linux-gcc network-lookup.c -c -O -Wall -Winline -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wwrite-strings -g      -I../include -I.  -I.. -I../libio  -I../sysdeps/arm/elf
-I../crypt/sysdeps/unix -I../linuxthreads/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux
-I../linuxthreads/sysdeps/pthread -I../linuxthreads/sysdeps/unix/sysv
-I../linuxthreads/sysdeps/unix -I../linuxthreads/sysdeps/arm
-I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/arm -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux -I../sysdeps/gnu
-I../sysdeps/unix/common -I../sysdeps/unix/mman -I../sysdeps/unix/inet
-I../sysdeps/unix/sysv -I../sysdeps/unix/arm -I../sysdeps/unix
-I../sysdeps/posix -I../sysdeps/arm/fpu -I../sysdeps/arm
-I../sysdeps/wordsize-32 -I../sysdeps/ieee754 -I../sysdeps/libm-ieee754
-I../sysdeps/generic/elf -I../sysdeps/generic   -D_LIBC_REENTRANT -include
../include/libc-symbols.h     -o network-lookup.o
make[1]: *** [nsswitch.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/glibc/glibc-2.1.2/nss'
make: *** [nss/subdir_lib] Error 2

There's nothing similar in the last two months of archive mail
Any idea?

--
François Desloges
[email-masked]
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 22:29:20 +0100

>=2E./include/libc-symbols.h     -o network-lookup.o

That's a new one.  Can you try without -j2 just in case that helps, and check 
you have the version of make recommended in the glibc documentation?  
Otherwise I am afraid you will have to debug this further yourself.

p.