Subject: Re: One more glibc Error

From: Francois Desloges <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 16:25:26 -0400

Answering to my own E-Mail:
>The very first time I tried this, ./configure told me, something like
>>checking version of gcc... gcc-2.95.1, bad!
>and eventually failed to complete...

Wait a second! There is a message in the archive dating from 12 Aug 1999, from
Gaixa Zhang asking for the same problem, and here's Philip's answer:
>>Install glibc-2.1.tar.gz with glibc-linuxthread-2.1.tar.gz and
>>glib-crypt-2.0.111.tar.gz
>>./configure arm-linux --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr/arm-linux
>>--enable-add-ons
>>          Now comes to "gcc 2.95, bad"
>
>Get glibc 2.1.2pre2 and this should be fixed.
>
>p.

Well, am I stock in an infinite loop or what? Since the goal is to fix the
ld.so.map problem in glibc-2.1.2 linking, and that from Philip point of view:
>The best guess so far seems to be that it might be due to a buggy version of
>awk or some other tool.  It seems to have occurred suddenly in glibc 2.1.2,
>so you could  try going back to 2.1.1 and see if that works any better. 

So I really should concentrate on fixing v2.1.2, shouldn't I?
--
François Desloges
[email-masked]
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 21:54:19 +0100

>Well, am I stock in an infinite loop or what?

:-)

Making that work in 2.1.1 would actually require only a pretty trivial change 

>So I really should concentrate on fixing v2.1.2, shouldn't I?

Frankly yes, though I can't offer much help with that.  You could try 
asking on the [email-masked] list to see if anyone else has some ideas.

p.

---

From: Francois Desloges <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 09:23:14 -0400

On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, Philip Blundell wrote:
> to the configure script...
>
> p.

Is it possible to quickly patch 2.1.1 and fix the unknown 2.1.2 problem later?

I mean, is it possible to know that "pretty trivial change" to the glibc-2.1.1
configure script, that would enable me to complete my toolchain ?

In order to see my bosses calm down a bit, and maintain trust in this
project, I need my toolchain to be completed asap. I use most of my
spare time at learning bash, make, grep, sed, awk and all those tools needed in
order to fix the trivial bug in 2.1.1 configure script and the 2.1.2 unknown
one. However, I've largely underestimated the learning curve that I would have
to swallow (stupid me; I mean, this thing is HUGE), and I'm totally out of
track from my original schedule :-(. 

I really want to contribute on this 2.1.2 problem.  But, I must show the big
boys a working kernel on my EBSA before. 
Thanks
--
François Desloges
[email-masked]
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 15:41:55 +0100

>configure script, that would enable me to complete my toolchain ?

Find the bit in configure.in that says "AC_CHECK_PROG_VER(CC, ...)" (it's at 
about line 455).  You need to either amend the regular expression so that it 
matches "2.95.1" or just delete the whole line in which case it will accept 
any version.  Then use autoconf to rebuild the configure script.

p.