Subject: glibc compile-error again...

From: Jan-Uwe Finck <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 17:21:52 +0200

This time it's me with another error in the middle of nowhere.. :-)
Compiling and installing of binutils-990918 and gcc-2.95.1 was done
without problems.
While compiling glibc-2.1.2pre3 the follwing error occurs after more than two
and a half hours.. :-( :

a - io/stat64.oS
a - io/fstat64.oS
a - io/lstat64.oS
: sysdeps/../libc_nonshared.a
arm-linux-gcc   -nostdlib -nostartfiles -r -o sysdeps/../libc_pic.os \
-Wl,-d -Wl,--whole-archive sysdeps/../libc_pic.a
arm-linux-gcc   -shared -Wl,-O1 -o sysdeps/../libc.so
-Wl,-dynamic-linker=/usr/arm-linux/lib/ld-linux.so.2 -Bsysdeps/../csu/
-Wl,--version-script=sysdeps/../libc.map -Wl,-soname=libc.so.6
-nostdlib -nostartfiles -e __libc_main -u __register_frame -L.
-Lsysdeps/../math -Lsysdeps/../elf -Lsysdeps/../nss -Lsysdeps/../nis
-Lsysdeps/../db2 -Lsysdeps/../rt -Lsysdeps/../resolv
-Lsysdeps/../linuxthreads
-Wl,-rpath-link=.:sysdeps/../math:sysdeps/../elf:sysdeps/../nss:sysdeps/../nis:sysdeps/../db2:sysdeps/../rt:sysdeps/../resolv:sysdeps/../linuxthreads
-Wl,--whole-archive sysdeps/../elf/soinit.os sysdeps/../libc_pic.os
sysdeps/../elf/sofini.os sysdeps/../elf/interp.os sysdeps/../elf/ld.so
-Wl,--no-whole-archive -lgcc
sysdeps/../libc_pic.os: could not read symbols: Memory exhausted
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
arm-linux-gcc: file path prefix `sysdeps/../csu/' never used
make: *** [sysdeps/../libc.so] Error 1

I have no idea what leads to the 'Memory exhausted', I use a
StrongARM110 RiscPC with 48 MB Ram, and theres enough of HD-Space, so
the problem must be somewhere else.. I hope..

Any idea anybody ?
-- 
CU	
	Jan-Uwe
-------------------------------------------------
PGP-Public-Key on Request.
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 18:35:45 +0100

>the problem must be somewhere else.. I hope..

How much swap space do you have?  Check that you don't have a ulimit set to 
restrict process size.

p.

---

From: Jan-Uwe Finck <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 05:54:51 +0200

> How much swap space do you have?  Check that you don't have a ulimit set to 

the swap is 100MB, and theres no ulimit set.... 
Is 100MB really to small ?? 
-- 
CU	
	Jan-Uwe
-------------------------------------------------
PGP-Public-Key on Request.
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Jan-Uwe Finck <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 22:29:29 +0200

Hi,

after expanding my RiscPC's RAM to 96 MB I still can not build the
glibc-2.1.2pre3.
The error remains the same, memory exhausted (I still can't believe
that, 'top' said, there was nearly no swap used..)

So maybe there's a problem with the versions I tried ? I used the very
latest binutils(i.e. binutils-990922), both gcc-2.95 as 2.95.1, with
or without patches and the glibc-2.1.2pre2 and 3..
'make' is version 3.76, everything else but gettext doesn't produce
any 'bad' comments when configuring, but gettext (msgfmt) seems to be not
too important... ( I guess).

Does anybody see any problems with the above versions used, or even
better have a combination that built recently ?

Thanks,

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 21:36:35 +0100

>latest binutils(i.e. binutils-990922), both gcc-2.95 as 2.95.1, with

Your tools are compiled as ELF, right?

p.

---

From: Jan-Uwe Finck <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 06:03:25 +0200

> Your tools are compiled as ELF, right?

Well, it's an out-of-the-box-installation from the arm-linux-server,
except make and m4, so that's all aout I think...

That problem seems to be solved, the next thing is 'How do I
build those tools as ELF?' Couldn't find the necessary info in a
hasty lookup this morning..

(I just took the commands from the toolchain-page, but that was
obviously not enough...)
-- 
CU	
	Jan-Uwe
-------------------------------------------------
PGP-Public-Key on Request.
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 11:41:02 +0100

>except make and m4, so that's all aout I think...

Ah.  I thought you'd installed the Debian versions.  If you are still using 
a.out you will suffer from the infamous 12MB limit.

p.

---

From: Francois Desloges <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 09:01:10 -0400

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Jan-Uwe Finck wrote:
> 'make' is version 3.76,... 

make version 3.76? I don't know if this would solve your problem but the
glibc-2.1.2/INSTALL file specify:
>Recommended Tools for Compilation
>=================================
>
>   We recommend installing the following GNU tools before attempting to
>build the GNU C library:
>
>   * GNU `make' 3.75
>
>     You need the latest version of GNU `make'.  Modifying the GNU C
>     Library to work with other `make' programs would be so hard that we
>     recommend you port GNU `make' instead.  *Really.*  We recommend
>     version GNU `make' version 3.75 or 3.77.  All earlier versions
>     have severe bugs or lack features. Version 3.76 is known to have
>     bugs which only show up in big projects like GNU `libc'.  Version
>     3.76.1 seems OK but some people have reported problems.

I personnaly use v3.77 and get no memory problem

--
François Desloges
[email-masked]