Subject: Building gcc

From: Francois Desloges <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 14:06:42 -0400

Hi there

	I'm in the process of building my ARM toolchain on my i386 workstation.
Binutils 2.9.5.0.11 configure, make, and make install, without any patches,
went well. Thanks Philip.

	So Next Step is gcc. Trying to transpose otherwise excellent Chris
Rutter's excellent http://inkvine.fluff.org/~chris/arm-tools.html toolchain
instructions to more recent version, I've downloaded kernel  2.2.10, applied
patch-2.2.10-rmk3 from Russell and then tried to apply Philip
linux-2.2.10rmk2-cvs990719.diff patch.

	After signaling me a few Hunk FAILED in  `Makefile',
`arch/arm/kernel/Makefile',  and `arch/arm/kernel/armksyms.c', it stopped
telling me:

patching file `arch/arm/kernel/calls.S'
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n]

	At this point I realize that patch-2.2.10-rmk3 dates from July 21,
where Philip's patch dates from July 19.

	Was I supposed to apply the second patch ?
	What do I answer to the 'Assume -R?' question ?
	Should I restart from scratch with a new 2.2.10 source install?

   --
François Desloges
[email-masked]
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 21:45:09 +0100

>linux-2.2.10rmk2-cvs990719.diff patch.

Those patches aren't compatible; it looks like they contain some of the same 
changes.

>	Should I restart from scratch with a new 2.2.10 source install?

The latest 2.2 kernel is actually 2.2.12.  If you get the current versions of 
both Russell's patch and mine then they should go together properly.  

p.