Subject: ramdisk.gz and downloadiing the kernel (newbie question)

From: "Dave Borja" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 12:54:09 -0700

Once I get my application built and an arm kernal image
(iZimage) I'm not quite clear on the process for downloading
to the brutus. The intel documentation on their web site 
calls for creating a ramdisk.gz file containing the the
application and c library (?). But not the kernel? I thought
this ramdisk would be the boot device? In any case, there
is supposedly a prepared ramdisk with the libraries at

ftp://ssdl-redstone.stanford.edu/pub/ramdisk.gz

but this site seems to be permanently down so I suppose we
will need to learn to roll our own.

In any case, can someone explain to me the boot process? I've
built angelboot from the code in angelboot.tgz. Apparently angelboot
needs to be pointed at a zImage and it will communicate with the
ANGEL monitor on the brutus to download both the kernel image
and the ramdisk. I'm not sure what happens after that.

Thanks for any insight.

Dave Borja
MMT Corp

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]