Subject: ARM Linux under RISC OS 4

From: matthew <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 20:57:00 +0000

Has anyone had any joy running ARM Linux on a machine with RISC OS 4?

My Linux set-up, which worked fine under RISC OS 3.6 is:

  A 1.2 GB IDE Hard Drive on the internal controller with 1GB for Linux.
  Kernel loader V3.21
  Linux V 2.0.30 - that which shipped on the Clan CD

The problem is that the kernel menu will appear, as well as the
additional arguments prompt, but it just dumps you back into RISC OS after
pressing return.

I have also tried the alpha loader V3.28, but without any luck.

BTW, I am using the Authorised Installers version of RISC OS V4.00 BETA.

I spoke to RISC OS Ltd. - their reply

'Not our problem - speak to the ARM Linux people.' (my quotes)

Any assistance/suggestions gratefully received.

Matthew Harris

-- 
Matthew Harris                       e-mail: [email-masked]
using an Acorn Risc PC                  WWW: www.emjay.freeuk.com

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 10:10:35 -0400 (EDT)

> additional arguments prompt, but it just dumps you back into RISC OS after

The Linux Loader is written to the RISC OS3 PRMs with the Volume 5a bits
for the extra MMU stuff for the ARM6 and later.  It does not do anything
clever with RISC OS (it uses all RISC OS compliant methods to perform its
magic).  I see no reason why it dumps you back into RISC OS.

> 'Not our problem - speak to the ARM Linux people.' (my quotes)

My belief is that they have altered something to make it incompatable
with the old RISC OS 3.7 behaviour.

Unfortunately, I do not want to shell out 100ukp for RISC OS 4, just to
find out what's causing this problem (since I don't use RISC OS much).
Is there anything like the PRMs for RO4?  If not, I don't think there's
any chance of fixing this problem.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 23:56:37 +0100 (BST)

> I have also tried the alpha loader V3.28, but without any luck.

Actually, could you download the latest version of !Linux off the ftp site
(in the testing directory), and try that.  I think it'll still fail, but
could you run it in debug mode please?  I think all you need to do is to
add '-debug' into the end of the command line you use to call the loader.
This should produce debugging output to the screen.  Alternatively, check
in the Pipe: filesystem, and see if there is anything in Pipe:C_Debug
(or is it PipeFS?  I haven't used RISC OS for months now, so I'm getting
very rusty on the naming of stuff ;().
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]