Subject: Booting on a A410/1

From: Dave Lambley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 12:20:22 +0100

I'm trying to run ARM Linux on a A420/1 with a ADPL IDE interface. When I
boot the kernel, which a friend compiled for me, it gets as far as announcing
the keyboard, where it hangs. I haven't made a partition yet, but I'm assured
it should get further than that without one. I'm using a Castle keyboard, but
it didn't get any further with a standard Acorn keyboard. Any ideas?

TIA,
Dave
-- 
'Orders are not to capture them. They must be horribly destroyed.'
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Ian Jeffray <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 00:53:44 +0100 (BST)

> it didn't get any further with a standard Acorn keyboard. Any ideas?

This sounds suspiciously like you're trying to run an A5000 kernel.
You need to build a kernel configured for CONFIG_ARCH_ACORN and probably
CONFIG_CPU_ARM2 if you've got an standard A420.  2.0.36 works well, but
I've not had the time to try running 2.2 on an old machine yet.

Ian
-- 
Ian Jeffray / 0378 392 963 / [email-masked] / http://eh.org/~ian/

---

From: Dave Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 15:41:08 +0100 (BST)

> it didn't get any further with a standard Acorn keyboard. Any ideas?

Do you really mean an A420/1 - still with 2MB RAM?  If so I suspect your
out of look - its a challenge getting it to boot with 4MB......

Dave

 --------------------------------------------------------------------   
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert      | Running Linux on           |  Happy  \ 
\   gro.gilbert @ treblig.org |  Alpha, x86, ARM and SPARC |  In Hex /
 ____________________________|___ http://www.treblig.demon.co.uk __/