Subject: Probs with serial dev

From: Christian Decker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 05:08:55 +0200

Hi,
I have a very strange problem with my serial device on my Acorn RISC-PC
under ARM-Linux. A test like 'echo asdas > /dev/ttyS0' results in a 'No
such device' message of the system. Allright, I have only one serial
interface. So the ttyS0 must be this interface. My next trial was to
look for the major number and so - /dev/ttyS0 has 4,64. So maybe that's
wrong, but trials with other numbers were without success. So please, if
someone has the same hardware, do 'll /dev/ttyS*' or tell me whether
there is a command which I can use to regenerate the devs.

Thanks in advance ... :-)

--
Bye, Christian

E-Mail: [email-masked]
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 10:06:28 +0100

>such device' message of the system. Allright, I have only one serial

When the system boots, you should see a message like `tty00 at 0x3e8 is a 
16550A'.  If you aren't getting one of these then the serial driver is not 
installed (you can also check this by looking at /proc/devices). 

>look for the major number and so - /dev/ttyS0 has 4,64. So maybe that's

That is correct.

p.