Subject: EBSA285 flash driver

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 22:27:14 +0200

Hi all !

The latest CVS tree contains a small driver for the EBSA flash that
mainly consist in mmap'ing the flash to user space. Is there a
corresponding userland flash utility available ? For my board, I have
hacked nwflash, but since the main goal of this hack was to make
conditional the netwinder specific stuffs (cpld, leds, ...), I beleive it
could be replaced by a userland tool.

Benjamin.

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 22:05:42 +0100

>corresponding userland flash utility available ? For my board, I have

It's not possible to write a completely generic flash driver because every 
flash part needs to be poked differently.  In fact you don't *need* any kernel 
support at all; you can mmap /dev/mem directly if you know where the hardware 
is located.

p.

---

From: James Craig <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 12:25:57 +0100 (BST)

> support at all; you can mmap /dev/mem directly if you know where the hardware 
There's a link for a very very generic flash programming util (in
userland) in among the OpenBIOS junk somewhere. It's damned good actually
- it's designed for reprogramming PC and Alpha BIOS ROMs. I think it's
just called "devbios" or something. Anyway, it should manage to reflash
things with most of the modern flash ROMs - Intel, AMD, Winbond etc.

--
James Craig <[email-masked]>
            <[email-masked]>