Subject: partition problem

From: Royal Oak Intermediate <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 17:59:46 +0000 (GMT)

Hello, all--

I'm trying to install ARM linux, but have run into a problem.  I downloaded
the latest distribution from ftp.arm.linux.org and think I have the proper
items.  However, !PartMan (latest version I can find is 7 Nov 97) does not
save my partition table to disk.  Neither does fdisk from the installer.

I'm trying to load this on a RiscPC 600 with a Quantum 1.2GB HDD.  My
filecore partition ends at cyl 360, so I shouldn't be running into the cyl
1024 bug that PCs seem to have (is this a problem with ARM linux, too???).

Any help would be appreciated, as would any comments from anyone who has
tried WINE over ARM Linux.

Thanks!

Dan Loeb
IT coordinator

-- 
Royal Oak Intermediate
New Zealand
Email: [email-masked]

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: John Joyce <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 23:01:56 +0100 (BST)

> 1024 bug that PCs seem to have (is this a problem with ARM linux, too???).

You need the latest !PartMan. Try looking at
ftp://ftp.arm.uk.linux.org/pub/armlinux/testing/partman-1.13-alpha13-dev2.arc
You will need to tell it the correct drive geometry.

hth

John Joyce

---

From: Mark Koek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 15:01:43 +0200

> tried WINE over ARM Linux.

I would guess WINE is pretty useless on anything but the x86
architecture.
Windows binaries are x86, after all.

Or do you want to try porting using winelib? I wouldn't know about the
feasability of that.

`bye,

Mark Koek

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 07:39:48 +0100 (BST)

> save my partition table to disk.  Neither does fdisk from the installer.

Please use the latest !PartMan from the /pub/armlinux/testing directory.

> tried WINE over ARM Linux.

It is not possible to use WINE without recompiling binary applications,
and therefore it's of limited use on ARM.  AFAIK, no attempts have been
made to get it running on ARM.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 22:57:06 +0100

>made to get it running on ARM.

Actually, I think people are working on it.  I have no idea what state it's in 
at the moment though.

p.