Subject: custom init

From: Terry Ewing <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 17:31:00 -0700

Hello,
    I'm trying to put together a machine that runs Linux, but is stripped 
of all the normal user interface crud.  Basically, I have a normal PC in a 
mini-tower case and I'd like to have it boot Linux and drop directly into 
an MP3 player (yes, roll your eyes, yet another MP3 player).  I'd like it 
to follow this evolution:

  - Start with a stock Linux installation (RedHat, I guess.  Maybe Debian)
  - Change the init so it boots straight into the mp3 player
  - add an LCD display and some external interface buttons
  - strip the traditional monitor/keyboard off
  - transplant this to one of the many pentium boards with a 3 inch by 4 
inch footprint.
  - transfer data to a laptop IDE drive
  - build a case for it.

So at the end I'll end up with a small PC running Linux with an IDE laptop 
drive and an LCD screen.  I'd like to make with a StrongARM, but I'm still 
a ways off from that part.

Anyway, back to the point...  I'd like to start developing this on a 
desktop system.  Can someone point me to documentation on how to write an 
init routine or whatever that would allow me to drop straight into the MP3 
player?  I know there's more to it than just that.

Thanks!
Terry Ewing

- Terry Ewing   <[email-masked]>
Deepwell Internet Services
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 10:19:57 +0100

>player?  I know there's more to it than just that.

Sounds like you just need to create a script and have init run it.  See /etc/
inittab and all that good stuff.

p.