Subject: RE: Problems configuring gcc-2.95 (was: RE: This time it's gcc... )

From: "Vater, Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 12:18:29 +0200

> >This reported the following:
> >
> >Created "Makefile" in /usr/src/gcc-2.95 using "mt-frag"
> >Cannot find the GNU C library minor version number.
> 
> Ugh.  The problem is that you are configuring as a native 
> compiler, but you 
> don't actually have a working native environment yet.  Try 
> configuring 
> initially as an arm-linuxaout - arm-linux cross and see if 
> that helps any.

I will try that. I did manage to cross-compile binutils, egcs and glibc-2.1
for ARM Linux on a x86 box. It generates running code when statically
linked. If I install the cross-compiled glibc libraries to the ARM Linux box
- would that be enough for a "working native environment"? Or are there
other things missing?
The reason why I haven't tried this yet is that I have no clue what to put
where. Are there any paperworks/online resources available to learn from in
this area?

> 
> Alternatively you could install from a binary distribution 
> for bootstrap 
> purposes.

If I get the packages from netwinder.org will they work on my RISC PC?
If not, where do I get the binaries?

Thanks much for your help.

Thomas
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 11:24:51 +0100

>- would that be enough for a "working native environment"? Or are there

No, you would also need a version of GCC set up to use these libraries.  
You could theoretically cross-build this from your Intel machine as well 
but it would probably be a load of trouble.

Actually, it might work to just add a definition of __GLIBC_MINOR__ to your 
existing <features.h>.

>where. Are there any paperworks/online resources available to learn from in

Only the GCC documentation.  There is also a FAQ for the crossgcc mailing list 
which might help.

>If not, where do I get the binaries?

No, the netwinder packages won't work since they are compiled for ARMv4.  Try 
the Debian ones instead (ftp.debian.org:/debian/dists/potato/main/binary-arm).

p.