Subject: WINE under ARMLinux???

From: Royal Oak Intermediate <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 09:04:44 +0000 (GMT)

Hello.

Has anyone tried running WINE with ARMLinux?  Is there any reason it may not
work?  

I'm in charge of a school full of RiscPCs.  The school is expanding,
equipment needs buying, and I'm trying to find a good way to keep our
machines in use, since they seem to be operating all right (with the
exception of a nasty power supply design fault.....).  We don't want to keep
going down the Acorn road, as there is a big compatibility problem with
neighboring schools, other machines on site, software availability, and a
lot of pressure from the board of governers to switch.

My thought was to use ARMLinux, run StarOffice, other Windows apps (read
CD-ROM based things) under WINE and then all machines, old and new could
share data and talk relatively freely.  All for a lot less than buying a
school-ful of new machines.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks!

Dan Loeb
IT coordinator

-- 
Royal Oak Intermediate
New Zealand
Email: [email-masked]

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Chng Tiak-Jung <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 15:31:03 +0800

> Has anyone tried running WINE with ARMLinux?  Is there any reason it may not

Yes, WINE Is Not Emulator. WINE can only works on Intel-compatible
CPU, not any other CPU. To allow Windows programs to run on other
CPU, you will need the source of the programs and recompile it
against the Win32 API provided in WINE to produce a binary for
that CPU.

Regards,
T J
-- 
Chng Tiak-Jung
Senior Research Engineer, Wireless Applications
Ericsson Research / CyberLab Singapore
Ericsson Telecommunications Pte Ltd              
510 Thomson Road                                     Tel: +65 350 1 649
#18-00 SLF Building                                  Fax: +65 256 2 403
Singapore 298135                            [email-masked]
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: "Dr. David Gilbert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 18:30:44 +0100 (BST)

> against the Win32 API provided in WINE to produce a binary for

Or of course you could slip an x86 emulator underneath with WINE still in
place; a much more fun project.

Dave

/------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Dr. David Alan Gilbert | Work: [email-masked] (+44-161-286-2000)   |
| -------- G7FHJ --------|---------------------------------------- |
| Home: [email-masked]   http://www.treblig.clara.net            |
\------------------------------------------------------------------/

---

From: Chng Tiak-Jung <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 10:02:19 +0800

> place; a much more fun project.

Talking about that, I wonder is it possible to build an
x86 emulator on ARMLinux such that it can run x86 Linux
binary like what Alpha-Linux is doing? Did anyone attempted
this before?

T J

---

From: Mark Koek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 10:08:40 +0200

> school-ful of new machines.

You can't do that (not realistically, anyway: running StarOffice on a
RiscPC with an x86 emulator would be unusably slow). You might be able
to "re-use" the RiscPCs by running X servers on them with the clients on
one or more new x86 boxes (if your network can take the strain). You
could run the binaries that won't run in ARM-Linux on the x86s and
display the windows on the RiscPCs.

That would save you some money: you would only need some powerful x86
boxes (a K6-2/450 costs next to nothing these days) on which you would
install the office software, maybe even using WINE (don't expect
miracles though, WINE is not stable yet). It would look as though the
programs run on the RiscPCs, but all they'll be doing is running X and
receiving the window contents through the network and displaying them
(and returning keypresses etc.).

You can't have too many of those sessions on a single 10Mbps ethernet
though, because it generates quite a lot of network traffic.

I don't know if this would work (I've never tried it), but I think it
might be worth a try.

'bye,

Mark Koek