Subject: Error building glibc2.1.2pre2

From: "Vater, Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 09:02:10 +0200

Hello,

after a successfully build of gcc 2.95 as a cross compiler from
arm-linuxaout to arm-linux (on a RISC PC) I turned my head to glibc 2.1.2pre
(as suggested). Unfortunately it falls over an error in the following line:

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/glibc-2.1.2/misc'
arm-linux-gcc ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/sysctl.c -c -O -Wall -Winline
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wwrite-strings -g      -I../include -I.  -I..
-I../libio  -I../sysdeps/arm/elf -I../crypt/sysdeps/unix
-I../linuxthreads/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux -I../linuxthreads/sysdeps/pthread
-I../linuxthreads/sysdeps/unix/sysv -I../linuxthreads/sysdeps/unix
-I../linuxthreads/sysdeps/arm -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/arm
-I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux -I../sysdeps/gnu -I../sysdeps/unix/common
-I../sysdeps/unix/mman -I../sysdeps/unix/inet -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv
-I../sysdeps/unix/arm -I../sysdeps/unix -I../sysdeps/posix
-I../sysdeps/arm/fpu -I../sysdeps/arm -I../sysdeps/wordsize-32
-I../sysdeps/ieee754 -I../sysdeps/libm-ieee754 -I../sysdeps/generic/elf
-I../sysdeps/generic   -D_LIBC_REENTRANT -include ../include/libc-symbols.h
-o sysctl.o

Since I forgot to send stderr to the file I have to give the error message
from memory. It said something like __NR__sysctl not defined in line 42 I
think. Does that ring any bell?

Thanks for any help.

Thomas
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 19:56:09 +0100 (BST)

> think. Does that ring any bell?

Which kernel source do you have installed in /usr/src/linux?
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 13:44:45 +0100

>think. Does that ring any bell?

This probably means that your kernel sources are too old.  Install a newer 
version (you don't have to actually run the new kernel, just have its header 
files available) and the problem should go away.

p.