Subject: crt0.o: file not recognised

From: "J.Bland" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 02:04:02 +0100

My ARMLinux box has developed a worrying error. On any attempt to compile
anything with gcc it gives the error:

/usr/lib/crt0.o: file not recognized: File format not recognized

I've tried reinstalling gcc and some libraries from the rpms, but still no
luck. Reinstalled everything, still no luck.

Also tried copying crt0.o from an old backup install, no luck. So I must
assume there's a problem with some config file somewhere. I think this must
have happened after installing binutils 2.9 (off ftp://ftp.gnu.org/ )
compiled on the machine.

Any ideas?

Yours,
      John.

-- 
 John Bland                            Webmaster and Ph.D. Research Student,
 M.Phys (Hons) Grad.Inst.P              Condensed Matter Physics Department,
 [email-masked]                               The University of Liverpool
 http://www.sliced.uk.eu.org/~shrike  http://www.liv.ac.uk/~olmsg01/physics/
"The Sleeper Must Awaken" - Dune Messiah
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 09:54:07 +0100

>/usr/lib/crt0.o: file not recognized: File format not recognized

Did you apply the Linux patches to the version of binutils you installed?  If 
not, this is pretty much expected.  You need to restore your linker from a 
backup and rebuild binutils.

p.

---

From: "J.Bland" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 10:18:59 +0100

In message <[email-masked]> you wrote:

>Did you apply the Linux patches to the version of binutils you installed? 
>If  not, this is pretty much expected.  You need to restore your linker from
>a  backup and rebuild binutils.
> 

No I didn't as I didn't see that mentioned in the INSTALL file. Oh well, I'll
know better next time ;).

Anyway, where is the linker found? Wouldn't this have been restored when I
reinstalled the rpms?

Cheers,
       John

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 10:46:03 +0100

>Anyway, where is the linker found? Wouldn't this have been restored when I

It's /usr/bin/ld.  If you reinstalled the binutils RPM then yes it
should have been restored, but I think in your previous message you
said you'd only reloaded gcc.

p.

---

From: "J.Bland" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 11:05:12 +0100

> said you'd only reloaded gcc.

I originally reinstalled binutils, then gcc, then anything that looked like a
library, then the whole lot (apart from fileutils which is about the only
major part of the system I've upgraded). Still the problem. I've copied the
/usr/bin/ld from an old backup install too. Still this crt0.o problem.
Would a reboot help? I'd rather not lose my 68days uptime ;).

Cheers,
       John

---

From: "Hanske;Stefan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 14:15:56 +0200 (METDST)

> have happened after installing binutils 2.9 (off ftp://ftp.gnu.org/ )

The problem seems to be that you're mixing a.out and ELF.

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 13:30:29 +0100

>Would a reboot help? I'd rather not lose my 68days uptime ;).

Check that you haven't wound up with another `ld' lurking somewhere like 
/usr/local/bin or /usr/arm-linuxaout/bin.  If you find any such files, delete 
them or move them out of harm's way and try again.

p.

---

From: "J.Bland" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 18:29:10 +0100

In message <[email-masked]> you wrote:

>>I originally reinstalled binutils, then gcc, then anything that looked like
>>a library, then the whole lot (apart from fileutils which is about the only
>/usr/local/bin or /usr/arm-linuxaout/bin.  If you find any such files,
>delete  them or move them out of harm's way and try again.
> 

Yep, that was the problem, got rid of the imposter lds and everything is now
back to normal (except for rpm segmenting and netstat being killed when
called ;).

Thanks.

John.