Subject: 2.2.9 and 2.2.10 network locking up

From: Jonathan Foster Kliegman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 16:48:02 -0400 (EDT)

I've been doing some tests with an EBSA-285 handling lots of incoming
network data.  I've been using the TCPBLAST program which just steams
data to the discard port on the target.  In this case, I've been sending
from an Intel Linux host (2.2.9) to the EBSA (running both 2.2.9 and
2.2.10).  The EBSA will crash when using either a Intel Etherexpress
Pro+ or a 3com 3c905B as the NIC.  
The actual number of bytes transferred differs between runs.  When we
setup the EBSA to act (mostly) as a passthrough to the host we can
transfer a lot more data before the EBSA locks.  The amount of data when
sending straight to the EBSA is between .5 - 2 GB.

Finally, when the EBSA hangs it just locks up completely - there is no
core dump or anything on the serial port.  The lights in the back are
left with only the green (middle) light on.  I even modified
entry-armv.S to move the timer interrupts to a higher priority just to
see if I could get the lights to flash - no luck.

Anyone seen anything like this or have any thoughts?

-Jon 
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 22:12:57 +0100 (BST)

> see if I could get the lights to flash - no luck.

It sounds like a bus lock condition.  Maybe there's a device which is
sending retry to the 21285 all the time?  I've had this happen with
the CY82C693 southbridge chip, but haven't found a solution yet.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]