Subject: Problems with custom ebsa285-like board

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 14:28:57 -0500 (CDT)

Greetings,

I am attempting to get Linux running on some hardware my company has
made resembling a ebsa-285.  I am using all Elf tools and kernel 2.2.5
with the last 2.2.5 patchset from Russell.  I have hardcoded some things
in the kernel to get it up (I nulled out params in setup.c, hardcoded
the architecture in head-armv.S, etc.), and I have downloaded the Debian
boot image (debian-image_990220.tar.gz) to boot from over NFS.  The
kernel loads and boots, finding the Intel 21143 on our board, and even
makes it to loading init, but then it dies, repeatedly printing out the
following (I have TULIP_DEBUG set to  for this, as I think it's an
ethernet problem):

IP-Config: Got RARP answer from 10.17.0.1, my address is 10.17.0.80
IP-Config: Guessing netmask 255.0.0.0
Looking up port of RPC 100003/2 on 10.17.0.1
Looking up port of RPC 100005/1 on 10.17.0.1
VFS: Mounted root (NFS filesystem) readonly.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 4k init 4k netwinder
eth0: 21143 negotiation status 000000c6, MII.
eth0: MII status 780d, Link partner report 0000.
nfs: server 10.17.0.1 not responding, still trying
nfs: server 10.17.0.1 OK
INIT: version 2.76 booting
INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
eth0: 21143 negotiation status 000000c6, MII.
eth0: MII status 780d, Link partner report 0000.
eth0: 21143 negotiation status 000000c6, MII.
eth0: MII status 780d, Link partner report 0000.
eth0: 21143 negotiation status 000000c6, MII.
eth0: MII status 780d, Link partner report 0000.
INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel
eth0: 21143 negotiation status 000000c6, MII.
eth0: MII status 780d, Link partner report 0000.
eth0: 21143 negotiation status 000000c6, MII.
eth0: MII status 780d, Link partner report 0000.

This will continue (the INIT: respawning messages) seemingly unendingly.
I am unsure where to go at this point.  This is booting from a Solaris
2.6 host, and looking at the packets, it looks like init (or something
init spawns) is trying to look for files that do not exist, because I
get a lot of returned NFS LOOKUP2: No such file or directory packets
from the Solaris machine.  I have exported the directory via NFS, and it
is able to mount it.  I untarred the debian image there also.  Does
anyone have any pointers?  I've been looking at this for a while now,
and I think I may need to step back for a second!  Thanks!

--
Kyle Mestery
StorageTek's Storage Networking Group
Protect your right to privacy: www.freecrypto.org

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Dave Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 20:32:48 +0100 (GMT)

> INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

Hmm - that looks ill.

> and I think I may need to step back for a second!  Thanks!

First check that you have the floating point emulation built in - a lot
of things won't run without it - however I don't think that's your
problem.

I'd start by peppering stuff around the init scripts to see where it
is getting upto.  If you get really desparate then you could put
a printk in the exec and open syscalls - that way you'll see exactly
what files its trying to get to.

Dave

 --------------------------------------------------------------------   
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert      | Running Linux on           |  Happy  \ 
\   gro.gilbert @ treblig.org |     Alpha, ARM and SPARC   |  In Hex /
 \____________________________|___ http://www.treblig.demon.co.uk __/

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 14:53:47 -0500 (CDT)

Thanks Dave!  That appears to be the problem.  I didn't have floating
point emulation compiled into the kernel.  Once I recompiled with that
and booted, I got into single user mode!  Now to continue on from here.
Thanks much!  This list is incredible at helping people get their
systems running, and everyone deserves a hand.

---

From: Dave Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 21:08:20 +0100 (GMT)

> systems running, and everyone deserves a hand.

No problem! (Can someone put a standard FPE trap in - something which
gives a message like 'Oy you - you missed the floating point emulator!')

Dave

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 23:29:26 +0100

>gives a message like 'Oy you - you missed the floating point emulator!')

Yeah, good idea.  There is already stub code to detect and ignore a few 
floating point instructions and it wouldn't be hard to arrange for it to do 
that as well.

p.