Subject: Error while attempting to build egcs-1.1.2 cross-compiler

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 16:23:24 -0400

Hi all,

I'm have a bit of trouble attempting to build egcs-1.1.2 as a cross-compiler
hosted on x86-linux.

I did the following:

- Started from a clean redhat 5.2 installation.

- Built and installed cross binutils binutils-2.9.1.0.19a with patch
binutils-2.9.1.0.19a-arm-diff-981230, exactly as I did when building egcs-1.1.1
for cross development.  This went fine.

- Expanded 2.2.0 kernel sources and put symlinks in
/usr/local/arm/arm-linux/include as per PhilB's tools page.

- Expanded egcs-1.1.2 and applied patch egcs-1.1.2-arm-diff-990325

- Ran "./configure --target=arm-linux --prefix=/usr/local/arm" Looked OK.

- Ran "make -i LANGUAGES=c".  Got the following error:

loading cache ./config.cache
checking for gcc... /home/matthewl/112-build/egcs-1.1.2/gcc/xgcc -B/home/matthew
l/112-build/egcs-1.1.2/gcc/
checking whether the C compiler (/home/matthewl/112-build/egcs-1.1.2/gcc/xgcc -B
/home/matthewl/112-build/egcs-1.1.2/gcc/ -g -O2  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot creat
e executables.
make: [configure-target-libf2c] Error 1 (ignored)

Any intuitions on what I might be doing wrong here?

Thanks,

Matt La Mantia

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 22:21:49 +0100

>Any intuitions on what I might be doing wrong here?

You're trying to build the Fortran runtime libraries without having first 
installed all the C runtime (ie glibc).  It's not really something you're 
doing wrong, just that what you're doing is doomed to fail. :-)

I think Chris Rutter's instructions are probably a bit clearer than mine 
about what you have to do to deal with this.  See 
<http://www.inkvine.fluff.org/~chris/arm-tools.html>.

p.

---

From: Chris Rutter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 00:53:33 +0100 (BST)

> - Ran "make -i LANGUAGES=c".  Got the following error:

The error messages suggest it's trying to build a cross-compiler;
are you executing the above command in the gcc/ directory?

-- 
Chris <[email-masked]>                         ( http://www.fluff.org/chris )