Subject: Ether net cards

From: Jeremy Poulter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 11:56:41 +0100

Hello all,

I'm a bit of a newbe where Linux is conserned but I have come across a
problem. 

I have a Acorn Risc PC/A7000 interface © i-cubed ltd, EtherLan 600 in my SA
RISC PC but I can't get ARMLinux to recognise it. 

The stange thing is ARMLinux was quite happy to install via FTP through it
but now it just refuses to do any thing. 

Anyone got any ideas?

Jeremy

-- 
+------------------------------------------------+
| Jeremy Poulter          Station Manager, B1000 |
|        [email-masked]        |
| http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/jeremy.poulter  /
+-----------------------------------------------'
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Richard Bradbury <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 13:02:37 +0100

> but now it just refuses to do any thing. 

As the various boot messages whizz up the console, check that the hardware
is being detected:

Installed expansion cards:
  8: [0046:011E] Acorn Risc PC/A7000 interface © i-cubed ltd, EtherLan 600 (...)

Then check that you've downloaded and installed the appropriate set of
modules from the ARM Linux FTP site:

<ftp://ftp.arm.linux.org.uk/pub/armlinux/distrib/kernels/modules-rpc.tar.gz>

This needs unpacking with 'tar xvzf <filename>'.  This will gunzip and
untar all in one go.  Make sure you are logged in as root and sitting in
the / directory before you do this.  The modules will be unpacked to
/lib/modules/2.0.35 (or whatever).

Getting the modules from the FTP site without a working network card is
left as an exercise for the reader :-)  Options include mounting the floppy
drive (/dev/fd0) as /floppy or your ADFS hard disk partition (/dev/hda1) on
/adfs.

The device driver you need lives in /lib/modules/2.0.35/net/etherh.o (or
similar).  This will be inserted automagically at boot time provided you
add the following line to /etc/conf.modules:

  alias eth0 etherh

Then reboot, and hopefully the Ethernet should come alive.

Other things worth checking are /etc/sysconfig/network and
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.

-- 
Richard.