Subject: Installation success ... now what ?

From: Allen Craig <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 06:01:44 +1200 (GMT)

To all ArmLinux users

After much work a few of us Waikato acorn users have now got armlinux up
and running so we can see what all the fuss is about (this, in my
opinion, was no mean task !)

Question is 'now what' ?

What do we do with it ?
Where is all the free software ? (anyone got any weblinks ?)

What the best 'x-windows' GUI  plugin thingy (e.g. KDE,Gnome etc)
 - still not sure of language ;)

Cheers

-- 
Allen Craig ... Hamilton New Zealand
    Using Acorn StrongArm RISC PC
ICQ 9948225    IRC#acorn .. Alkemyst

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: linux user group mailings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 21:11:06 +0100 (BST)

>  - still not sure of language ;)
I found one called Afterstep but can't get it to run. It calls a message
about 10x10 button type, or similar. As a newbie, I'm stuck. I've just bought
a book and taken the weekend to read it but I'm still stuck.

-- 
       _          .------------------------------------------.
 __ __| |_ __ __  |   mailto:[email-masked]     |
/ _/ _` \ V  V /  |   I'm just here reading armlinux stuff   |
\__\__,_|\_/\_/   |__________________________________________|

---

From: Richard Atterer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 22:21:12 +0200

In article <[email-masked]>
    Allen Craig <[email-masked]> wrote:

> After much work a few of us Waikato acorn users have now got armlinux
> up and running so we can see what all the fuss is about (this, in my

IMHO the two areas where Unices really stand out are programming and
networking. As for GUIs, I still prefer RISC OS...

> Where is all the free software ? (anyone got any weblinks ?)

You should subscribe to comp.os.linux.announce for information on the
latest software releases.

Have a look at the directory /gnu or /pub/gnu on many FTP servers for a
lot of programming tools and a few games, e.g. gnuchess. /pub/unix or
similar is also a place to look for software as well as documentation.

Obviously, you'll have to compile all the software yourself. To do this,
you need the Linux kernel sources. Have a look at
<http://www.kernel.org>; unless you want to compile your own kernel,
download the sources of the kernel currently in use.

>  - still not sure of language ;)

A few window managers are supplied with ARMLinux, I use fvwm2.

Currently, the ARMLinux _distribution_ doesn't feature ELF support
(~dynamically linked libraries), and you won't want to build it yourself
if you're new to Linux. This is a problem because many newer programs,
including KDE and Gnome, will be useless without ELF, even if you can
compile them in theory.

AFAIK, there will be a new Debian distribution in a few months (?), I'd
wait for it.

Cheers,

  Richard

-- 
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer
  | \/¯|  http://www.in.tum.de/~atterer/                      raFS V1.15
  ¯ ´` ¯
PGP key fingerprint: C5 59 22 97 80 12 34 C6  6E CE 27 32 2A 44 2C 4A
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Andrew Heckford <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 19:21:15 +0100 (BST)

> a book and taken the weekend to read it but I'm still stuck.

Try Chris Sawer's site at:

http://members.xoom.com/chrissawer/armlinux.html

This has AfterStep pre-compiled for ARMLinux. I used this and had no
problems.

hope this helps,

--                                                \\\\///
      ___          __                  _______ooo_(.) (.)_ooo________
     / _ \___  ___/ /_ __              |            ()               |
    / _  / _ \/ _  / // / __________\  |    ** Andrew Heckford **    |
   /_//_/_//_/\_,_/\_, /            /  | [email-masked] |
                 /___/                 |_____________________________|
                                                 oo0   0oo