Subject: RPM recompile

From: Chris Rutter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 22:49:56 +0100 (BST)

Hardware depending, I should have a RiscPC up on the Internet in some
capacity sometime in the next week or two, and then a grand recompile
of RedsHat's `Rawhide' source RPM set can begin, giving all ARM Linux
users from armv3l upwards a bang-up-to-date set of packages, compiled
using the latest ELF toolset and glibc 2.1.

In the meantime, if there are any requests for specific RPMs (e.g. 
fileutils, or whatever), mail me and I'll see what I can do about getting
them cross-compiled on inkvine.

-- 
Chris <[email-masked]>                         ( http://www.fluff.org/chris )

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: "J.Bland" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 23:21:48 +0100

> capacity sometime in the next week or two, and then a grand recompile of
> RedsHat's `Rawhide' source RPM set can begin, giving all ARM Linux users
> from armv3l upwards a bang-up-to-date set of packages, compiled using the
> latest ELF toolset and glibc 2.1.
> 

Not personally being a linux genius, can you clarify this...Does this mean
that we're gonna have a nice whizzo new distribution, with newer apps and
compilers, so that those of us without the knowhow (or patience :) to get
things like ELF etc working can now just install them from the rpms and not
have to 'fiddle' things. And how large will this new distribution be? Will we
finally be able to install a decent linux setup 'out of the box' like the x86
distributions seem to be able to do? There seem to be rumours floating around
about new distributions, is there any official news on this (other than the
above)?

  Any info for the 'linuxly' challenged like me would be much appreciated.
  
  Cheers,
         John.

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 John Bland                            Webmaster and Ph.D. Research Student,
 M.Phys (Hons) Grad.Inst.P              Condensed Matter Physics Department,
 [email-masked]                               The University of Liverpool
 http://pc084085.melgrove.liv.ac.uk/  http://www.liv.ac.uk/~olmsg01/physics/

        Secretary, Liverpool University Acorn Computer Users Society
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The Sleeper Must Awaken" - Dune Messiah
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: "Rod m. Stewart" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 22:03:35 -0400 (EDT)

> using the latest ELF toolset and glibc 2.1.

Unless I am mistaken, the current way rpm is setup (version 3.0, latest
from the CVS/devel tree) it will recognize an armv3l architecture simply
as arm (and not armv3l).  This is detected by what uname returns (I am
almost positive on this one).

If people are using rpm on armv3 architectures I can generate/submit
patches to recognize it properly.

While we are on the subject are people using rpm on armv2 and/or armv1
machines?  If so, let me know and I will see about having those added in
as well.  Is there anything greater then armv4 currently?

And one other thing I will need, is the default optflags for each of
armv2, armv3.  Currently for armv4 we have:
	optflags: armv4 -O2 -fsigned-char -fomit-frame-pointer
	optflags: armv4b -O2 -fsigned-char -fomit-frame-pointer
	optflags: armv4l -O2 -fsigned-char -fomit-frame-pointer

Is this compatible with armv2/3.  I think there may be an issue with
"-fomit-frame-pointer".

Let me know,
-Rms
[email-masked]

---

From: "J. Konietzko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 08:12:11 +0200

> them cross-compiled on inkvine.

Not RPMs, but if anyone could do anything to port KDE, that would be
great. Until recently, RedHat has refused to use KDE because it contains
some proprietary code (I think), but I just saw a package containing the
latest German )PC) version of RedHat Linux, and it says in big letters
"including KDE"!!

Cheers,

Jochen Konietzko

---

From: Werner Almesberger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 10:39:17 +0200 (MET DST)

> using the latest ELF toolset and glibc 2.1.

I think that would make you eligible for nomination for the Linux hero
of the month award ;-)

> them cross-compiled on inkvine.

ld.so, glibc, glibc-devel ? ;-)

BTW, I kind of wonder if anybody has ever told the makers of all these
wonderful arm4-specific distributions that their work could be useful for
a lot more people if they compiled for arm3, and that the performance
difference is pure science fiction in almost all cases anyway.

I know, duplicate work keeps our economy alive, but still ...

- Werner

-- 
  _________________________________________________________________________
 / Werner Almesberger, DI-ICA,EPFL,CH   [email-masked] /
/_IN_R_131__Tel_+41_21_693_6621__Fax_+41_21_693_6610_____________________/
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 09:51:34 +0100

>as well.  Is there anything greater then armv4 currently?

ARM v5 is in the works but I don't believe there is any silicon yet.  There is 
also v4T but that hasn't cropped up in any Linux applications yet as far as I 
know.

>Is this compatible with armv2/3.  I think there may be an issue with

Omitting the frame pointer is no more harmful on ARMv2/v3 than v4.  The only 
reason not to use it is debuggability, and with a bit of luck we should soon 
be able to debug even without a frame pointer.

p.

---

From: Chris Rutter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 16:28:57 +0100 (BST)

> almost positive on this one).

I've got a tweaked rpmrc that contains the various necessary details.

> patches to recognize it properly.

Think Russell's already done that.

> armv2, armv3.  Currently for armv4 we have:

I've attached my copy.

---

From: Stefan Hanske <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 14:49:56 +0200 (METDST)

> latest German )PC) version of RedHat Linux, and it says in big letters

I've got KDE running (walking would be better) on my RiscPC - though I
wouldn't call it a stable state yet but it's usable. There are some
difficulties with the compiler yet. But if you're interested, I think I
could upload a binary tgz somewhere (It's about 35M uncompressed, all the
stuff lives in /usr/local/kde.) Some packages are still missing (ie.
kdenetwork), I've got other things to atm.

----------------------------------------------------------
|mailto: Stefan Hanske ([email-masked] |
|WWW : http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~shanske      |
|phone: I'm not silly                                    |
|--------------------------------------------------------|
| And don't forget to remember what you remembered not   |
| to forget to remember...				 |
----------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 12:38:25 +0100 (BST)

> some proprietary code (I think), but I just saw a package containing the

It used a library you weren't allowed to modify - even to fix security holes
or serious bugs. That library license is now changing