Subject: /dev/cdrom

From: micm <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 01:30:13 +0100

In a fit of stupidity, I went and deleted /dev/cdrom .... D'Oh!

Anyone fancy revealing the magic mknod command to get it back??  It's an
IDE CDROM on the internal interface and shows as hdb on kernel version
2.0.35.....

Cheers,
Mike.

-- 
          "Danger could be my middle name.....but it's James"
         Visit the NUMPTIE XONE : http://www.toth.org.uk/~micm

         Q:What did the fish say when he hit a concrete wall?  A:Dam.

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 10:57:35 +0100

> In a fit of stupidity, I went and deleted /dev/cdrom .... D'Oh!

I hope you didn't lose any data.

> IDE CDROM on the internal interface and shows as hdb on kernel version

Assuming /dev/hdb is still there, and you've just deleted the /dev/cdrom
symbolic link to it, all you need to do is:

 ln -s /dev/hdb /dev/cdrom

Assuming /dev/hdb itself has vanished, you'll need to do:

 mknod /dev/hdb b 3 64

Of course, if neither of them are there, use some combination of the
above.

Cheers,
Phil