Subject: NFS Swap File !!!!

From: Iain Grant <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 17:19:59 +0100

Help,

I have our EBSA booting over NFS. I'd like to get a swap file/device set up.

I've got some instructions on diskless clients which tells me to do the
following in the top level of the NFS mount

	# dd if=/dev/zero of=swapfile bs=1024 count=16384
	# mkswap swapfile

This successfully creates a swapfile.

then in the /etc/fstab of the EBSA I added the line

	/swapfile		swap	swap	defaults		0
0

When we boot the EBSA we always get a 'bad swap file' error message. ( I
have even tried adding the dd and mkswap instructions to the rc.sysinit of
the EBSA but that didn't work either )

If we cannot get this to work I was thinking about using a ramdisk as the
swapdisk. Don't know if this will work or not but I'm willing to give it a
try.

Does anyone have any ideas ??

Thanks

Iain
	Iain Grant
DMCC Firmware Engineer
Compaq (Scotland)
*Tel:   823-3532 (DTN) - Int'l (44-1292) 883532
*Fax:  823-3241 (DTN) - Int'l (44-1292) 883241
*E*:  [email-masked]
*:         @AYO    

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 09:09:26 +0100 (BST)

> the EBSA but that didn't work either )

With Linux, it is not possible to have a swap file over NFS.

> swapdisk. Don't know if this will work or not but I'm willing to give it a

This will not gain you any advantage.  It's better to leave the memory free
for Linux to work out what the best use of the memory is than to allocate it
to a swap device.

Since Linux does not require a swap file, I would suggest not using one if
you do not need one.

--
Russell King ([email-masked])
Millbank Electronics Tel: 01825 764811 Fax: 01825 761620