Subject: Toolchain problems...

From: "Paul Rogers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 21:02:33 +0100

I am currently attempting to install the arm-linux toolchain on my 
RiscPC SA110,  I have successfully configured, made and installed 
binutils (configured using  ./configure arm-linux --prefix=/usr).

However when I come to configure egcs, I get the following error 
(same confiure line).

/usr/lib/crt0.o -file not recognised:file format not recognised

and I get told that my compiler is not working.

I am currently using the kernel that is part of the web site 
distrubution if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any help.
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 21:34:32 +0100

>and I get told that my compiler is not working.

You shouldn't install the ELF binutils in /usr at this stage, otherwise (as 
you have just discovered) your compilation environment will be hosed.  What 
you need to do is revert to the old a.out binutils from a binary distribution 
and then install the new tools in a different location.  Once you have 
bootstrapped far enough that you can actually build and run ELF binaries (for 
this you need binutils, egcs and glibc to all work) it will be safe to 
overwrite the old a.out tools, but until then you need to preserve them.

I believe Chris Rutter mentions this in his toolchain guide.

>distrubution if that makes any difference.

No, this is nothing to do with the kernel.

p.

---

From: Chris Rutter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 21:47:19 +0100 (BST)

> I believe Chris Rutter mentions this in his toolchain guide.

I must not explain this well enough, or alert people to it promptly
enough.  `Must try harder.'

-- 
Chris <[email-masked]>                         ( http://www.fluff.org/chris )