Subject: Tool Chain and Kernel

From: Ceri Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 13:38:18 +1200

Hi

I realise that alot of this has been covered in some form or another in
previous messages but I'd just like to check what I've done is correct.

I've attempted to build a ARM linux tool chain and libraries on a i586
RedHat 5.2 system running kernel V2.2.6. Here's my process.

Retrieved binutils-2.9.1.0.23 (no patch?). Configured using
    ./configure --target=arm-unknown-linux --prefix=/usr
    make
    make install

All seemed OK.

Retrieved egcs-core-1.1.2 and patched with egcs-1.1.2-arm-diff-990325.
Configured using
    ./configure --target=arm-unknown-linux --prefix=/usr
    cd gcc
    make LANGUAGES="C"
    make LANGUAGES="C" install

Again seemed OK.

Retrieved glibc-2.1, glibc-crypt-2.0.6, glibc-linuxthreads-2.1 (no
patch?). Configured using
    CC=arm-unknown-linux ./configure arm-unknown-linux
--build=i586-linux \
    --prefix=/usr/arm-unknown-linux --enable-add-ons
    make
failed with missing glibc-lock.h file so I linked to
sysdeps/generic/bits/glibc-lock.h. (Is this OK?)
    make
    make install

OK?

The tools seemed to work OK in compiling a Hello World program.

I then got linux-2.2.3 source and patched using patch-2.2.3-rmk2 and
linux-2.2.3-philb-990330.
Edit Makefile for ARCH := arm and CROSS_COMPILE = arm-unknown-linux-

I compiling for a RISC PC with a StrongARM processor with 32MB ram 2MB
VRAM and EtherH.
I pretty much left the options as they were except for the following
    Configured system type for RISC PC and ARM 6 CPU
    Disabled Generic PCI IDE Chipset
    Disabled Parallel Port IDE Device
    Disabled IrDA subsystem
    Disabled 3COM network cards
    Disabled sound support

make failed with
    drivers/video/video.a (fbdev.o): in function 'fbcon_vga_bmove' :
    fbdev.o (.text+0x936c): undefined reference to 'readw'
    fbdev.o (.text+0x936c): relocation truncated to fit: R_ARM_PC24
readw

and similar for writew.
I removed the VGA options from the framebuffer section and tried again.
This time it compiled OK
but the loading of the kernel stopped after the message
    Now booting kernel

I did get a bit further with a previous attempt that froze after the
initialisation of ther EtherH card.

Basically I just want to know if my tool chain building looks OK and
what options I should and
shouldn't select in the kernel configuration for my machine.

Thanks

Ceri

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 10:02:12 +0100

>sysdeps/generic/bits/glibc-lock.h. (Is this OK?)

No, this is not OK.  Make sure you correctly unpacked linuxthreads in the 
source directory.  Also, you should probably get the 2.1 crypt from 
ftp.funet.fi (don't get it from cygnus.com or gnu.org).

That said, this shouldn't be the cause of your kernel problems since the 
kernel doesn't use glibc.  I'm afraid I don't have much of a clue about 
what's going on there.

p.