Subject: Re: how to get an elf system from the 2.0.35 redhat installation?

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 09:34:18 +0100

>/usr/local/arm-tmp/lib/gcc-lib/arm-linux/egcs-2.91.66/libgcc.a: could not read
> symbols: Archive has no index; run ranlib to add one
>make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1
>
>How can that be and what can I do against it?

Like it says, run ranlib on the offending library.  This is caused by 
something going slightly wrong during the EGCS build -- probably using the 
host ranlib rather than the target one.

p.

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Nicholas Clark <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 09:34:44 +0100 (BST)

In the last mail Peter Teichmann said:

> /usr/local/arm-tmp/lib/gcc-lib/arm-linux/egcs-2.91.66/libgcc.a: could not read symbols: Archive has no index; run ranlib to add one

run your ELF ranlib on
/usr/local/arm-tmp/lib/gcc-lib/arm-linux/egcs-2.91.66/libgcc.a

(problem is that at some point something ran the a.out ranlib over it)

This looks like it's the cross-compile-using-wrong-ranlib-bug that happens
in the toolchain build that I had. I just made /usr/local/bin/ranlib a
symlink to /bin/true, but that's a hack rather than a bug-fix.

Nick