Subject: Re: Ether net cards

From: Richard Bradbury <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 13:06:31 +0100

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999 10:24:55, Jeremy Poulter wrote:
> /etc/conf.modules
> alias eth0 8390
> alias eth0 etherh

Looks healthy

> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> 
> DEVICEth0 
> IPADDR.1.1.50
> NETMASK%5.255.255.0
> NETWORK.1.1.0
> BROADCAST.1.1.255
> ONBOOTyes

Looks plausible.  I take it this is a private subnet then?

> /etc/sysconfig/network
> NETWORKINGyes
> HOSTNAMEJezWorld

I've also got

DOMAINNAMElah.blah
GATEWAYpp.qq.rr.ss
GATEWAYDEVth0

but these are probably not relevant to your private subnet.

> During booting I get the message 'eth0 initislization delayed' (or
> something similar). eth0 shows up in NetCfg but it is down and trying to
> make it go up just gives the error 'Unable to initialize'

Hmm.  Are the appropriate driver modules being loaded automagically at boot
time?  Check with /sbin/lsmod.  If not, insert 8390.o and etherh.o manually
with /sbin/insmod.  You probably put them in /lib/modules/2.0.35.

Then try to make the interface come up with:

  cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
  ./ifup ifcfg-eth0

and check with:

  /sbin/ifconfig -i eth0

I always thought the boot sequence was supposed to do a '/sbin/depmod -a'
automatically.  This should have created /lib/modules/2.0.35/modules.dep
with the following line in it somewhere:

  /lib/modules/2.0.35/net/etherh.o: /lib/modules/2.0.35/net/8390.o

If not, try running '/sbin/depmod -av' manually as root.  That might do
the trick for you.

-- 
Richard.

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 14:22:08 +0100 (BST)

> Looks healthy

The alias should just be:

alias eth0 etherh

Since 8390 will be loaded by the dependencies automatically.

> Looks plausible.  I take it this is a private subnet then?

Erm, what's happened here?  It should look like:

DEVICE=eth0 
IPADDR=10.1.1.50
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=10.1.1.0
BROADCAST=10.1.1.255
ONBOOT=yes

> with the following line in it somewhere:

It always has been done in the past.  It might be worth checking that
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc contains the modules as well.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]