Subject: Surprise! Installation problems!

From: Jon Topper <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:09:51 +0000 (GMT)

I've used Linux on the x86 platform for almost a year now and, checking 
over the ARM Linux pages, I was glad to see that my network card, an 
EtherH, is finally supported.

Thus, I set to installing the OS on my RiscPC (700 with 2.1Gb HD, 32Mb 
DRAM, 1Mb VRAM).

I've now got to the stage, after partitioning the drive etc, whereby I'm 
prompted for the insertion of a root floppy.  This I do, and hit Enter.  
Linux sits and thinks for a wee while, and I get the following:

end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 0
end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 0
end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 0
end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 0
end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 2
RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid ramdisk image starting at 0
VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER

I have tried producing new root disks, but this doesn't help.  The 
strange thing is that, after pressing Enter, the activity light on the 
floppy disk doesn't flash - suggesting that the boot kernel isn't 
attempting to access the device at all.

Any ideas?

Jon
2nd Year Computer Science,
University of Manchester

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Murali Nagaraj <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 15:51:31 +0800 (SST)

> attempting to access the device at all.

It is very likely that your floppy disk is damaged. You say that you have
tried different root disks, have you tried any with different floppies?

> unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

		Murali Nagaraj
		Linux Support Team
		Systems & Networking 

		Telephone: +91 (80) 528 4681 Ext 220 Ext 268
		    email: [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:08:37 +0000 (GMT)

> VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER

Please ensure that the hardware configuration of your floppy
drive is indeed set as drive 0.

--
Russell King ([email-masked])

---

From: Jon Topper <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:40:11 +0000 (GMT)

> tried different root disks, have you tried any with different floppies?

Sorry, that's what I meant when I said I'd tried different root disks.  
Also, I think I can rule out any media damage, since Linux doesn't even 
seem to be reading the drive.

Jon

---

From: Jon Topper <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:42:02 +0000 (GMT)

> drive is indeed set as drive 0.

That's a little vague.  Could you tell me how to do this (or where to 
find the information).  Bear in mind that I only have one floppy drive, 
and it is functioning correctly under RiscOS.

Jon

---

From: Russell King <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 13:08:09 +0000 (GMT)

> and it is functioning correctly under RiscOS.

It was intentionally vague, because I believe that it is already a
question on the FAQ (but for the A5000), and I'm getting annoyed at
having to keep on answer it.  I'll improve the FAQ.

Acorn seem to have had no build standard for their machines, so each
machine seems to be different.  Most RiscPCs are supplied with the
floppy drive configured as physical drive 0, but there are some out
there which are configured as physical drive 1.

When RISC OS boots, it searches for the floppy drives, and allocates
them to a logical drive number.  Hence, RISC OS does not care whether
the drive is configured as 0 or 1.

However, Linux cannot search for the drive (I would really like it to).
Hence, the drive must be correctly configured for it to be of use with
Linux.

I cannot tell you how to do this, since I cannot see your drive.  Every
manufacturer of floppy drive does it differently.  Some drives have a
link on the PCB somewhere to select 0 or 1, whereas others have a switch.

Sorry, can't be of any more help.

BTW, most floppy drives come configured as Drive 1, hence the need for
the twist `hack' in a PC floppy cable.

--
Russell King ([email-masked])
Millbank Electronics Tel: 01825 764811 Fax: 01825 761620

---

From: Jon Topper <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 13:38:52 +0000 (GMT)

> question on the FAQ (but for the A5000), 

I don't recall seeing it - I did check the FAQ before posting here.

> and I'm getting annoyed at

That sounds a good plan.  The only thing which I have been a little 
unhappy about so far (other than my linux not working, of course!) has 
been the amount of machine-specific documentation.  It is free though, I 
suppose :)

> Sorry I couldn't be more help

No problem - I just needed to know whether it was hardware 
switch-throwing, or software configuration I needed to do.

Cheers.

Jon