Subject: accessing more than 4gig hd ?

From: Allen Craig <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 06:26:35 +1300 (BST)

RO3.7 limits an adfs drive size to 4(ish) Gb (right ?)....

if I put in a drive more than this limit anything over 4Gb is currently
not accessible to RO but would it be accessible to armlinux ?

just wondering if I can put in say a 6 gig drive and have 4 gig limit
available to RO and 2 gig available to linux for example.

I know you can put bigger drives on ide expansions and partition them up
(i have this) but it does not help for armlinux (needs to be 'adfs'
drive).

-- 
Allen Craig ... Hamilton New Zealand
    Using Acorn StrongArm RISC PC
ICQ 9948225    IRC#acorn .. Alkemyst

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Nicholas Clark <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 18:02:35 +0000 (GMT)

> RO3.7 limits an adfs drive size to 4(ish) Gb (right ?)....

Not sure.

> (i have this) but it does not help for armlinux (needs to be 'adfs'

I've got an "8.4" GB IDE disk on the internal adfs interface which is

999M  ADFS
1024M root
1024M root (spare)
128M  swap
rest  home

so the internal interface has no problem with obscenely large discs.
As to how much ADFS/FileCore can cope with, dunno. You can only have one logical
ADFS partition per physical disc, so that won't help you.

Nick

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 20:13:05 +0000 (GMT)

> ADFS partition per physical disc, so that won't help you.

Well, the internal IDE interface consists of nothing more than some decode
logic (to detect when accesses are meant for the hard drive) and some buffers
if I remember correctly.  Therefore, I don't see why you can't attach an
extremely large IDE drive to the internal interface and use it, so long as the
OS you are using can cope.

However, note that you have to be really careful about how you partition the
drive.  If ADFS can only access N GB of the disk, and you're booting a kernel
from within the root filesystem, you must make sure that the whole of the root
filesystem is also within this limit (just like on a PC with an old BIOS you
need to make sure that the whole of the root filesystem is below the 512MB
limit).

However, I'm not saying that any hard drive will work...
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Timothy Baldwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 21:03:46 +0000

In message <[email-masked]>

> RO3.7 limits an adfs drive size to 4(ish) Gb (right ?)....

AFAIK, the limit is 512Gb.

-- 
http://www.reinhouse.freeserve.co.uk/
PGP key fingerprint = D6 FA 76 1D 68 F6 7B 96  F4 BC F2 62 D2 02 62 8E
Read the uk newsgroups? Then read uk.net.news.announce
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]