Subject: /dev/fb0 question

From: Rod Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 01:06:58 -0500 (EST)

Question:  Who should make the device /dev/fb0?  Should I create it?  If I
need to create it, would anyone know the options for mknod? `mknod
/dev/fb0 c X X'  Thanks.

Here is what I have:
a 2.2 kernel
XFree86-3.3.3.1a-20.armv4l.rpm which I don't know if it works, so am
trying to test, but if I go and make X a symlink to XF68_FBDev here is
what I get:

[root@dilgar X11]# startx

XFree86 Version 3.3.3.1 / X Window System
(protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6300)
Release Date: January 4 1999
        If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is newer
        than the above date, look for a newer version before reporting
        problems.  (see http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Operating System: Linux 2.2.2-1a.rmk4 armv4l [ELF] 
Configured drivers:
   FBDev: Server for frame buffer device
   (Patchlevel 10): mfb, iplan2p2, iplan2p4, iplan2p8, ilbm, afb, cfb8,
cfb16, cfb32
(using VT number 7)

XF86Config: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config
(**) stands for supplied, (--) stands for probed/default values
(**) XKB: disabled
(**) Mouse: type: BusMouse, device: /dev/mouse, buttons: 3
(**) FBDev: Graphics device ID: "Linux/m68k Frame Buffer Device"
(**) FBDev: Monitor ID: "Generic Monitor"
(**) FontPath set to
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"

Fatal server error:
open_framebuffer: failed to open /dev/fb0 (No such file or directory)

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages

X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
[root@dilgar X11]# 

This X server does have some arm patches, but I'm not certain if it works.
So does anyone know about /dev/fb0, how to create it?

Thanks,
-Rms

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 09:04:00 +0000 (GMT)

> need to create it, would anyone know the options for mknod? `mknod

Yes, people who have read linux/Documentation/devices.txt do.  ;)
Here's the ls output of /dev for fb0:

crw-------   1 root     root      29,   0 Jan 31 10:06 /dev/fb0

So you want to do:

	mknod -m 600 /dev/fb0 c 29 0

   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Rod Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 13:57:31 -0500 (EST)

> Here's the ls output of /dev for fb0:

Ok, I was looking in the wrong spot...  I was looking in
linux/Documentation/fb/framebuffer.txt, on the web pages that refer to it,
but didn't think about devices.txt.  Thank you, X now works...  Well I
don't know how stable it is, but startx and xdm work, which is a start.
This is the last XFree86-3.3.3.1-20.src.rpm from rawhide with patches.

Isn't this pretty:
-Rms

[root@dilgar /dev]# startx

XF86Config: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config
(**) stands for supplied, (--) stands for probed/default values
(**) XKB: disabled
(**) Mouse: type: PS/2, device: /dev/mouse, buttons: 3
(**) FBDev: Graphics device ID: "Linux/m68k Frame Buffer Device"
(**) FBDev: Monitor ID: "Generic Monitor"
(**) FontPath set to
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
(**) FBDev: Using default frame buffer video mode
(--) FBDev: Frame buffer device: Cyber2000
(--) FBDev: Video memory: 2048K @ 0x81000000
(--) FBDev: MMIO regs: 768K @ 0x81800000
(--) FBDev: Type 0 type_aux 0 bits_per_pixel 8
(--) FBDev: Unknown hardware accelerator type 22
(--) FBDev: No driver support for hardware acceleration
(--) FBDev: Using cfb8 driver
 WARNING: You selected Fvwm2 as your window manager, but your installation
 does not appear to be functional. The executable /usr/X11R6/bin/fvwm2 was 
 not found on your system.
RESUMING with TWM...
xinit:  connection to X server lost.

waiting for X server to shut down 

[root@dilgar /dev]#