Subject: Re: some progress, anyone got a shell?

From: Rod Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 19:36:43 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, Andrew Thomas wrote:
> 
> 3. ---------- <The Big One>
> 
> (suggested to me by Dave Baukus)
> Get the following from rawhide.redhat.com/armv4l/RedHat/RPMS/ (or a mirror)
> (note I pulled a lot of this crap because I want to fix login)
> 
[...]
> libgr-2.0.13-14.armv4l.rpm           util-linux-2.9-8.armv4l.rpm

> rpm -i --nodeps --root /tftpboot/<TARGET_IP> *.rpm
> 
> This will fail to run /sbin/ldconfig - I fix this with the following:
> 
> cp /sbin/ldconfig /tftpboot/<TARGET_IP>
> chroot /tftpboot/<TARGET_IP> /ldconfig
> rm /tftpboot/<TARGET_IP>/ldconfig
> 
> Note that I am running the ***x86*** ldconfig here!
> 
> create the syscons/console (see #2) and then boot the kernel
> with -b (this is essential as mingetty/login is broken) This
> should boot single user.

It's not really that login is broken, it is more along the lines of the
fact that the current arm stuff in the util-linux spec file (from rawhide)
is old.  It goes back to the days when PAM would not build properly.

Either grab the source from my site, or add the /bin/login tools back in
the spec file, when rebuilding util-linux.
	ftp://ftp.nw.carleton.ca/winder/SRPMS/SRPMS/

I've not had any problems with mingetty/login, with my stuff (which is
based off the latest rawhide stuff).

A note on rpm installs with `--nodeps':  Try to avoid using `--nodeps'
the reason being, that when rpm is working properly (not yet, but you
should get the idea) when you use --nodeps rpm does not do some of its
magic.  During a normal install of a bunch of files, rpm will install them
in order to satisfy all dependencies (that's the idea anyway, and it
usually does a pretty good job).

Something else you may want to do if you are not installing on an ARM
machine, would be to add `--noscripts' to the install.  Then once you can
boot into your machine, you can run the scripts.

-Rms
Now if only X would work...  Anyone tried the latest XFree86-3.3.3.1
source rpm from rawhide?  I can now build it...

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]