Subject: Linux and Brutus

From: christophe leroy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 15:04:22 +0000

What is the state of linux 2.2.2 on Brutus.
nico's patches only exists for 2.2.1-rmk3

Is there works in progress somewhere or should I begin with
2.2.1-rmk3-np2 ?

And will it be one day included directly in rmk arm patches ?
Do you need someone (me for example) to do some work to
be able to include it in rmk arm patches ?

christophe
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 17:19:17 +0000 (GMT)

> be able to include it in rmk arm patches ?

It would be nice if someone could work towards integrating it cleanly
with my tree.  I look forward to receiving some patches.  Please note
that it's best to send them towards the start of each week, relative
to the latest -rmk patch.

--
Russell King ([email-masked])

---

From: Nicolas Pitre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 16:21:09 -0500 (EST)

> to the latest -rmk patch.

I'm actually working on it.  If I didn't send Russell anything yet that's
because I don't consider the patch ready yet.

Since Brutus is the reference implementation for the SA1100, I consider
that it needs a working console i.e. keyboard and frame buffer driver
before it is merged in.  And again, since I'm blind or visually impaired
or whatever...  I can't do it (or don't want to do it) by myself.  So if
anybody interested to do it please step on it.  My 2.0.35 had suport for
it so it needs forward porting.

Regarding the SA1100 core patch, I'm working on improving the cache
support and cleaning up everything else.  I also volunteer to merge any
patch I receive.  I currently merged the empeg stuff from Hugo and the
latest Brutus sound driver from Carl (Itsy team).  I also maintain the
SA1100 Victor implementation as this is what my day job is about.  Anybody
out there?

I will release another patch against 2.2.2 soon but still not for Russell
to merge it yet.  In the mean time one can easily apply my 2.2.1-rmk3
patch over a 2.2.2 tree with very few rejects.

To anyone interested into Linux/SA1100 development I suggest subscribing
to the sa1100-linux mailing list through [email-masked].  Most
SA1100 developers I know about are subscribed there.  This is probably the
best place to ask for any SA1100+Linux questions.

Nicolas Pitre, B. ing.
[email-masked]

---

From: christophe leroy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 19:10:08 +0000

> before it is merged in.  

Sure we need a working console, but a serial console is enough to
begin, I don't think we absolutely need keyboard and frame buffer
for the first time.
I think it would be better to have all stuff in the same place,
that would force people to make things compatible, I mean people maybe
add things to kernel that are totally not compatible with brutus,
making brutus port more and more hard, whereas they wouldn't have
done this if the brutus code was in kernel tree.

> And again, since I'm blind or visually impaired

Ok, if noone else is doing it, I'll try and do it as soon as I get
a Brutus card

christophe