Subject: linux-2.2.2-philb-990301

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 18:58:34 +0000

Hi,

I've put a new kernel patch, relative to 2.2.2-rmk4, on ftp.netwinder.org.  
This includes the new and more intelligent scheme for avoiding cache-flushing 
that I mentioned some time ago; kernel threads are always allowed to run with 
whatever pagetables they choose.  The idea is that if you have a user process 
fighting knfsd or kswapd for the CPU, cache flushing should be much reduced.  
For heavy NFS server use this might make a difference to performance.  
Russell, you might care to take a look at the patch and see what you think of 
the implementation.  At the moment kecardd will fall foul of this but it 
should be trivial to stop that from happening.

I hope it will also fix the problem that some people with NetWinders were 
seeing where the last few -philb kernels were failing to boot.  I think gcc 
2.8 was being tickled into producing bad code for some reason.

Finally there's a partial fix for an NWFPE bug that could cause an Oops.

Share and enjoy.

p.

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]