Subject: A few ARMLinux questions - any help?

From: David Ramsden <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 20:09:21 +0000 (GMT)

Hello,

OK here are a few questions that have been bothering me for a while;

#1 - Setting up an Ethernet card. How do I do it? It is an i-cubed
EtherLAN600 card running EtherH. Where do I get the module(S) from? Has
anyone got any instructions that are simple?

#2 - Apache server. There is a GUI bit for the Apache server that works in X
Windows to setup the Apache server, it is on the Apache WW site but will it
work under ARMLinux?

#3 - fvwm's. I downloaded a Windows 95 one the other day but I am having some
trouble installing it. I need to find the xdefaults file (where is it
located?) and change some stuff in that but I don't think that this vwm will
work on ARMLinux? Has any got it? It is just called fvwm95. I got it from
http://www.plig.org/xwinman/

#4 - fvwm's (again). Is there a RISC OS vwm? Where can I get it from if so? I
have seen a screenshot of on on the ARMLinux website.

Thanks for any suggestions or help that anyone can give me ...

Regards,
-- 
|   David Ramsden - [email-masked]
|           _________________________________________
|___ inux  / Running ARMLinux on an Acorn RiscPC 700
__________/ StrongARM (233Mhz) with 64Mb of RAM

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: micm <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 22:02:34 +0000

> Hello,

Hi!

> http://www.plig.org/xwinman/

You have to download the source to fvwm95.  I can't remember where I got
it from though.  Somewhere linked off www.x.org or something I think.

Once you've downloaded it there is a readme file which tells you what to
do...something like
make fvwm95
make install

or something. It will say.

to find the .xdefaults file as root type

updatedb

then when that finishes

locate .Xdefaults

and it will tell you where it's located.. normally in your home
directory.

fvwm95 certainly works.. so long as you compile it.  Any readymade one
you download will be for PC linux.

-- 
          "Danger could be my middle name.....but it's James"
         Visit the NUMPTIE XONE : http://www.toth.org.uk/~micm

         ...The perfect lover is one who turns into a pizza at 4.00am

---

From: Nicholas Clark <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 23:14:00 +0000 (GMT)

> anyone got any instructions that are simple?

Yes. Here's what I did
cd /usr/src/linux
make config
Answer Y to the the question about ethernet. Answer Y to EtherH :-)
make a new kernel.
reboot.
Kernel recognises network card.
Make sure /etc/sysconfig/network contains lines such as:
HOSTNAME=Bagpuss.unfortu.net
DOMAINNAME=unfortu.net
GATEWAY=138.253.4.1
GATEWAYDEV=eth0

and that your resolver config maps your hostname to your IP address.
(It worked for me. I'm not sure what I've forgotten)

> Windows to setup the Apache server, it is on the Apache WW site but will it

Try compiling it. It should do.

> http://www.plig.org/xwinman/

I appear to have fvwm as my default window manager. :-)
Not sure where the system xdefaults are (may be setup dependant) but have a poke
in ~/.Xdefaults and see if adding things there solves anything. You can run X 
without a window manager. You can also run X with the window manager running on
a remote machine (you've mentioned that Ethernet card...) I used to run mwm on
a SunOS box, with mwm actually on a machine half a mile away.

> have seen a screenshot of on on the ARMLinux website.

No idea. Sorry

> Thanks for any suggestions or help that anyone can give me ...

Hope this helps,

Nick