Subject: RE: Problems building ARM-Linux v2.0.35 for Brutus

From: "Chagas, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 15:56:34 -0800

> Nico,
	> 
	> I tried to build ARM-Linux v2.0.35 (Brutus) and I got the
following error
	> messages:
	> 
	> In file included from sound_config.h:15,
	>                  from vidc_synth.c:9:
	> os.h:37: warning: `TRUE' redefined
	> /home/chagas/linux-2.0.35/linux/include/asm/arch/cmptblty.h:39:
warning:
	> this is
	>  the location of the previous definition
	> make[2]: *** [fastdep] Error 1
	> make[2]: Leaving directory
	> `/home/chagas/linux-2.0.35/linux/arch/arm/drivers/sou
	> nd'

	In 'make config' you should say n to the general sound support
question.
	The sound driver for Brutus isn't in the sound section yet.

I tried what you suggested but the problem persists. I noticed there is a
problem with script "~/scripts/Configure":

Support for SA1100/UCB-1200 audio (CONFIG_AUDIO_SA1100) [Y/m/n/?] n
Support for SA1100/UCB-1200 mcp common code (CONFIG_MCP_SA1100) [Y/m/n/?] n
scripts/Configure: [: missing `]'

Do you get the same error? Does it make any difference?

Like I said running "make dep" produces the same errors as I described
before. So I ran "make -i dep"  (to ignore all the errors) followed by "make
zImage". I got the following error messages back:

/home/chagas/linux-2.0.35/linux/include/linux/string.h:31: warning:
conflicting
types for built-in function `memcpy'
/home/chagas/linux-2.0.35/linux/include/linux/string.h:34: warning:
conflicting
types for built-in function `memcmp'
binfmt_aout.c: In function `do_load_aout_binary':
binfmt_aout.c:317: `SEGMENT_SIZE' undeclared (first use in this function)
binfmt_aout.c:317: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
binfmt_aout.c:317: for each function it appears in.)
make[2]: *** [binfmt_aout.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/chagas/linux-2.0.35/linux/fs'
make[1]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/chagas/linux-2.0.35/linux/fs'
make: *** [linuxsubdirs] Error 2

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jason

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Chuck Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 16:49:24 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

>From reading the specs on the EBSA, it appears that a quarter VGA display
comes with the system.  Has anyone been able to use this display as the
console for Linux?  Better yet, has anyone run X-Windows on this display?

Thanks for any info

Chuck Carlson

---

From: Nicolas Pitre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 22:02:38 -0500 (EST)

> Do you get the same error? Does it make any difference?

Yes I get this one... But I don't know where it comes from and didn't try
to spot it since the overall configuration was OK for me anyway.  It
should work for you too.

> make: *** [linuxsubdirs] Error 2

I'm stumped.  You probably did something  wrong somewhere.....
Could you state your exact setup and patch sets?

Nicolas Pitre, B. ing.
[email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 08:34:20 +0000 (GMT)

> console for Linux?  Better yet, has anyone run X-Windows on this display?

Where did this spec come from?  I've never seen anything which implies this.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Chuck Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 09:57:24 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

Sorry about my original message about the EBSA-285 and LCD.  That board
does not come with an LCD display.  However, the StrongARM SA-1100
Evaluation Board from Intel does come with an LCD display. See:

	http://www.intercast.com/design/strong/techdocs/278174.ht

And overall description of SA-1100:

	http://www.intercast.com/design/strong/sa1100.htm

Does Linux run on this board?  Can the LCD be used as the console?

Thanks,

Chuck Carlson

---

From: Nicolas Pitre <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 21:16:38 -0500 (EST)

> Does Linux run on this board?  Can the LCD be used as the console?

Yes.  You'll find a patch for 2.0.35 on ftp.cam.org/users/nico.  There is
also a patch for 2.2.1 but it has no support for Brutus's LCD yet.

Nicolas Pitre, B. ing.
[email-masked]

---

From: David Feustel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 08:41:29 -0500

Has anyone developed an NT/Unix/Linux device driver that will talk to
the EBSA-285 card via the PCI bus instead of the serial port?
-- 
David Feustel
Fort Wayne, Indiana
219-483-1857

http://www.d-feustel.com