Subject: !Partman faulty?

From: linux user group mailings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 22:07:06 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

As a newbie to armlinux, I need some help please. I am trying to install it
on my second IDE drive without success. If I use v1.11 of Partman it will
save and then successfully read back the partition info on the second hard
drive, a Quantum 3.2GB formatted to 1996MB, but if I use v1.13a although it
will write the partition info, it says it can't read the partition tables.
V1.11 will though. If I ignore this and carry on with the install I get as
far as 'Installation Path' and break out into a command mode and type in the
commands listed in the Paul Vigay installation guide but after I type mknod
/dev/hdb3 b 67 3, I type mke2fs /dev/hdb3 and it falls over with
ext2fs_check_if_mount: No such file or directory determining whether
/dev/hdb3 is mounted. So basically, where have I gone wrong? I'm assuming
it's me at fault - it usually is ;-)

-- 
       _          .------------------------------------------.
 __ __| |_ __ __  |   mailto:[email-masked]     |
/ _/ _` \ V  V /  |  I'm just here trying to learn something |
\__\__,_|\_/\_/   |__________________________________________|

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:15:28 +0000

> it's me at fault - it usually is ;-)

You've got your numbers the wrong way around.  The first of the
numbers should be '3' (identifying it as an IDE disc), and the
second is (( <driver number> * 64) + <partition number>).  So
the line should read:

mknod /dev/hdb3 b 3 67

Cheers,
Phil

---

From: Nicholas Clark <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 20:39:40 +0000 (GMT)

Russell will say "have you got the latest Partman?"
IIRC he'll mean the ones from the testing subdirectory. I suspect that you'll
need Linux 3.33, and a partman of similar age (ie youth). Something more recent
than 3rd March 1999 should be happy with a 3.2Gb disc. (I believe)

It appears that the most recent partman is 1.13-alpha12-dev of 22.11 on 
1999/3/3. Try that. :-)

> drive, a Quantum 3.2GB formatted to 1996MB, but if I use v1.13a although it

Nick