Subject: A5000 help required...

From: Simon Kilvington <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 22:06:18 +0000

Hi,

	I'm trying to get ARM Linux working on my old A5000, so far I
can't even get a kernel to boot off a floppy - I get to the "choose
RiscOS/Linux 1/2" bit, the kernel gets loaded off the floppy, but
then I don't get anymore text on the screen - not even the
"Uncompressing Linux..." message. The kernel I'm trying is the
precompiled a5k-2.0.31-1997.10.18 one from the ARM Linux FTP site.

	on a related note, I've built an arm-linuxaout cross compiler
on my PC Linux machine using the <can't remember>.19a binutils and
gcc 2.8.1. Will this be okay for compiling A5000 kernels or do I need
to use egcs? I've also got the 2.0.36 kernel source and the ARM patches,
is there any possibility that I'll be able to get this working on an
A5000?

	of course, the next problem will be trying to find somewhere to
store the RPMs to install RedHat - I was planning to do this over an
ethernet link to my PC. I'll have to get an ethernet card for my A5000,
so what's the best one to go for?

	TIA for any help,

Simon.
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Simon Kilvington <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 18:11:26 +0000

> Are you sure you've unzipped the kernel?  How much RAM does your A5000
> have?  Have you got the very latest !Linux from ftp.arm.linux.org.uk ?
> Have you tried running the kernel from harddrive with -bootkernel ?
> 

	success! I have MacFS and ZIPFS running normally, so I killed
those off and it booted first time!!!

	no doubt I'll be back here asking more questions when my
ethernet card gets delivered and I start trying to install Red Hat.

	bye fer now,

Simon.