Subject: init 5 doesn't work

From: Paul Burns <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 22:54:34 +0000

Hello,

        Can any of you suggest why I should get the following fault:

I have a 'clean' install of ArmLinux using the RPMs from the ClanCD.
Logging in and typing startx starts up the X server quite happily but
if I use 'init 5' or edit the initdefault entry in /etc/inittab the
X server momentarily starts up but then quits out back to the command
line. The messages file reports the error

Mar  9 23:49:22 localhost kernel: xrdb: memory violation at pc=0x00c1a638, 
lr=0x00015fc0 (bad address=0x6c2a6e69, code 1)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Paul

-- 

Paul Burns

Email: [email-masked]
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: micm <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 00:33:42 +0000

> lr=0x00015fc0 (bad address=0x6c2a6e69, code 1)

It does work, I've had it working here, though i went back to using a
textual login because only root can shut down the machine from within X
whereas from a text login anyone can do Ctrl-Alt-Del.

Anyhow, I used to get that error.  I can't remember what causes it, but
I fixed the problem by poking around in all the xdm startup files (I STR
the man page lists them all).  I changed quie a lot of stuff so I've no
idea which file magically made it work!

Persevere, it does work!  As a last resort try recompiling your
kernel... That might have some effect.

-- 
          "Danger could be my middle name.....but it's James"
         Visit the NUMPTIE XONE : http://www.toth.org.uk/~micm

                         ...Brain fried - core dumped