Subject: Compiling lesstif - libXt, a.out and shared libraries

From: Theo Markettos <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 14:51:33 +0000 (GMT)

I've successfully managed to compile Lesstif 0.87 under a.out using a
rejigged linker.  It compiled happily, and so do Motif applications linked
with it.  There's one small problem - all the apps I've tried return this
error:

Error: attempt to add non-widget child "DropSiteManager" to parent
"Mosaic" which supports only widgets

According to the people on the Lesstif mailing list, this is because
it's getting a function from libXt instead of Lesstif.  Apart from the
link line library ordering (which doesn't solve this), they say another
possibility is that Lesstif is compiled as static and linking with a
shared libXt.

As the supplied ld doesn't support shared libraries, Lesstif compiles as
static.  However, /usr/X11/lib contains libXt.sa, libXt.so.6, and
libXt.so.6.0.  Does this mean they're all shared?  I thought a.out didn't
support shared libraries?  If so, is there a static libXt available
anywhere?  Is it adapted to ARMLinux - or can I just download the source
and compile a new static version?  Am I just being dense and there's an
obvious way out?

Thanks,
Theo

-- 
Theo Markettos                      [email-masked] (atm26)
Gonville & Caius College            [email-masked]
Cambridge, UK                       http://www.marketto.demon.co.uk/

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 16:16:32 +0000

>support shared libraries?

Yes.  A .so file is a shared object; .sa is the stub that you link with for 
such an object.

It's possible to support shared libraries with a.out but building them is a 
pretty gruesome process involving the DLL tools.  Glibc has no support for 
this but the old libc4 does.  I think the binutils linker has all the 
necessary bits in to make it work.

p.

---

From: Theo Markettos <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 23:53:09 +0000 (GMT)

> necessary bits in to make it work.

OK, thanks.  Looks like I'll have to convince the X makefiles to build a
static libXt - after compiling the 130MB of X source for a couple of days
(on an ARM610 machine), it decided to segfault in the vital place...  I'll
see if I can have another go at some point...