Subject: Kernels, FPUs et al...

From: Melanie Rhianna Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 10:18:47 +0000 (GMT)

Hi everyone,

I couldn't sleep last night so I thought I'd finally update the kernel on
my RPC from 2.0.33 to 2.0.36.  It all seems to have gone fine except I
have no fpem.  If I try and load it it balks telling me I need to
recompile the module.  I've never had this problem before as far as I can
remember.  What have I forgotten to do.

Is it about time for me to move to the netwinder emulator.  If so, where
are the sources?

Finally 2.0.36 died at reboot with an error

	Unable to handle kernel pagin request at virtual address 003c0000

It was compiled with the default compiler in the ARM Linux distrbution
from arm.linux.org.uk.

Incidentally I now have SuSE 6.0 running on other machines and they tell
me that egcs (the default compiler) isn't ready for compiling 2.0 kernels.
Is this true?

Regards

Melanie

-- 
=====================================================================
Melanie Rhianna Lewis                      [email-masked]
"An it hurt none, do what thou will"    http://www.defaid.demon.co.uk
TLBB#2 TGMCC#1 - GS550 (In the front yard), X7 (Dead), MZ 125TS (Ill)
=====================================================================

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 11:49:56 +0100

> remember.  What have I forgotten to do.

I *think* this is in the FAQ.  If not, it should be since I've asked
it before.  When you compile your kernel, you _must_ ask for versioned
modules.

> me that egcs (the default compiler) isn't ready for compiling 2.0 kernels.

Not exactly.  egcs fixed some of the things that were broken in gcc that
the kernel depended on being broken.  The 2.1 kernel development fixed
these problems, but no-one wanted to do the same to 2.0.  There is a web
page somewhere where someone is collecting patches but I'd be loathe to
trust it.  For 2.0 use gcc 2.7.2.N.

-- 
Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
"I decry the current tendency to seek patents on algorithms.  There are
better ways to earn a living than to prevent other people from making use of
one's contributions to computer science."  -- Donald E. Knuth, TAoCP vol 3
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Dr Charles McEvoy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 21:27:20 +0000

On 14 Mar, Melanie Rhianna Lewis ([email-masked]) wrote:

[snip]
> 	Unable to handle kernel pagin request at virtual address 003c0000
Just cured this one myself! It seems to be caused by using the Arm patches
dated 9/1/99 (and pointed to by the symlink) rather than the ones dated
19/9/99.  These (applied to a clean source tree seem to do the trick. By the
way, the old patch also seems to foul up X windows, and a few other things.

However, I _still_ can't get any self-compiled kernel to recognise ADFS,
despite answering 'Yes' appropriately in the config.  /proc/filesystems is
missing an adfs that I'm sure should be there, so I'm left having to boot the
distribution kernel to fetch things from ADFS, and then reboot into a 2.0.36
to use them.  Very annoying, but I'm probably just missing something obvious?
(He said hopefuly...)

Regards,
	Charles.
-- 
Dr Charles McEvoy       | PGP key available from
York, of that shire     | http://www.mcevoy.demon.co.uk
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 22:19:33 +0000 (GMT)

> to use them.  Very annoying, but I'm probably just missing something obvious?

Hmm, I've no idea on this one.  I do know that I have adfs compiled into
the kernel without problem.  (I would post my /proc/filesystems if I had
a mouse on flint, but I haven't got the IRQ mapping fixed for both EBSA285
and NetWinder yet).  Any chance of a .config file?
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]