Subject: CATS board IDE anybody?

From: Brian Brunswick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 13:10:39 +0000 (GMT)

This is my third attempt to post this - I think maybe the mail
list was rejecting it because my envelope from address was wrong?
Apologies for any multiple copies that eventually appear.

Ok, so what actually is supposed to be the state of the latest kernels
on a CATS board? Wasn't PhilB working on that some time ago?

In some spare moments, with lots of spare cpu time, We have
successfully cross compiled a toolchain and the kernel, made a boot
header with a pretty logo that even manages to accept command line
arguments and pass them to linux, and it boots ok from a UFS
partition, and successfully nfs mounts the root.

We initally tried the JimPick debian boot image in a tar file, and
that worked fine once we got past the point of everything non-trivial
dying due to lack of floating point. Configure verbose user aborts,
was the solution to finding the problem! However, the nfs root stuff
appears to horribly disagree with dselect or something, and we were
unable to get additional packages to install.

Also working reasonably fine, if one is prepared to create an initial
image by slight amounts of cross architecture fighting with rpm is the
redhat rawhide stuff. So far it doesn't quite allow login, but booting
single user works, and rpm happily installs extra packages. Various
things are missed during the bootup, eg where is fsck.nfs (presumably
a null operation) suppose to come from?

Anyway, what doesn't work is the IDE. :-( On a plain 2.2.1-rmk4 it
detected it ok, and even seemed to work, but was very unstable and
would crash seemingly if one pressed a key while it was running. On
the 2.2.2-rmk4-philb990301 we just tried, it doesn't even detect it,
seemingly whatever configuration we try.

So, is there some secret set of configure options to choose to make
this work? What are they? Or is debugging the ide something that we
would have to do ourselves if we really want it?

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 14:25:30 +0000

>on a CATS board? Wasn't PhilB working on that some time ago?

I was, yes.  The theory is that the latest kernels with the -philb patches 
should work on the CATS.

>seemingly whatever configuration we try.

Groan.  I made a change on philb-990301 which was intended to try to fix 
Neil's problem with the second channel getting the wrong IRQ number.  It 
sounds like this just didn't work (and thinking about it more, what's more 
likely is that a different patch has gotten accidentally backed out at some 
point).

The problem with it crashing randomly is something Neil mentioned too.  I must 
admit I never used the IDE very much, certainly not recently.  My suspicion is 
that the ISA IRQ routines aren't quite right - maybe some of the black 8259 
magic needs to be reinstated.  Unfortunately I don't have a CATS board any 
more so there's not a lot I can do directly to fix it.  If someone would like 
to lend me one for a bit maybe I can do something.

p.

---

From: Brian Brunswick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 15:09:01 GMT

Ok, I've just traced it some more.

What happens is ide0: Disabled unable to get IRQ 47.

But in irq_init_irq the value of  NR_IRQS that is picked up is 32, presumeably from
include/asm-arm/arch-ebsa285/irqs.h, so things above that never get marked as
valid to claim.

There's also
./include/asm-arm/irq.h:#ifndef NR_IRQS
./include/asm-arm/irq.h:#define NR_IRQS 128

I'll try changing the value in arch-ebsa285/irqs.h

---

From: Russell King <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 16:59:41 +0000 (GMT)

> I'll try changing the value in arch-ebsa285/irqs.h

IRQ 47 is invalid on this architecture.  It's probably supposed to be 15
or 31.

--
Russell King ([email-masked])

---

From: "Neil A. Carson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 17:47:10 +0000 (GMT)

Brian,

I found the same thing happening with IDE on the CATS. Untarring stuff and
hitting keys sometimes caused the console to hang. Apparently, it might be
an ISA IRQ problem or something like that.

	- Neil

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 22:50:50 +0000

>IRQ 47 is invalid on this architecture.  It's probably supposed to be 15

The ALi IDE irqs are indeed supposed to be 14 and 15.  At one point they were 
46 and 47 but I can't immediately see where that number is coming from now.

p.

---

From: Brian Brunswick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 09:17:59 GMT

>46 and 47 but I can't immediately see where that number is coming from now.

Well that explains all the lost irq messages that occurred when I changed
that number. It did manage to read the partition table though!
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]