Subject: RE: HELP - Egcs 1.1.1

From: "Dr . David Alan Gilbert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 15:24:11 +0000

At 06:49 AM 2/23/99 -0800, Chagas, Jason wrote:
>Phil,
>
>I could have sworn that I ran `make LANGUAGES=c install' successfully. I
>just tried installing it again and bingo... 'cpp' is now under
>'/usr/local/arm/lib/gcc-lib/arm-linux/egcs-2.91.60'.
>
>However, I'm now having problems linking my "Hello World" application:
>
># ./xgcc -o hello hello.c
>/usr/local/arm/arm-linux/lib/crt1.o: file not recognized: File format not
>recognized 
>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
>Am I missing something?

I wonder which linker its picking up - if its decided to pick up your
x86 linker it aint going to be happy!

Do:

./xgcc -v -o hello hello.c

and it should be possible to see which linker its using.

Dave

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: "Chagas, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 08:35:23 -0800

>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

	I wonder which linker its picking up - if its decided to pick up
your
	x86 linker it aint going to be happy!

	Do:

	Dave

Dave,

It seems to use the appropriate linker. See the attached output with the
'-v' switch:

# ./xgcc -v -o hello hello.c
Reading specs from /usr/local/arm/lib/gcc-lib/arm-linux/egcs-2.91.60/specs
gcc version egcs-2.91.60 19990113/philb (egcs-1.1.1 release)
 /usr/local/arm/lib/gcc-lib/arm-linux/egcs-2.91.60/cpp -lang-c -v -undef
-D__GNUC__=2 -D__GNUC_MINOR__=91 -Dunix -Darm -Dlinux -D__ELF__ -D__unix__
-D__arm__ -D__linux__ -D__ELF__ -D__unix -D__arm -D__linux -Asystem(unix)
-Asystem(posix) -Acpu(arm) -Amachine(arm) -D__CHAR_UNSIGNED__
-D__ARM_ARCH_3__ -D__APCS_32__ hello.c /tmp/ccBXBmYQ.i
GNU CPP version egcs-2.91.60 19990113/philb (egcs-1.1.1 release) (ARM
GNU/Linux with ELF)
#include "..." search starts here:
#include <...> search starts here:
 /usr/local/arm/lib/gcc-lib/arm-linux/egcs-2.91.60/include
 /usr/local/arm/arm-linux/sys-include
 /usr/local/arm/arm-linux/include
End of search list.
 /usr/local/arm/lib/gcc-lib/arm-linux/egcs-2.91.60/cc1 /tmp/ccBXBmYQ.i
-quiet -dumpbase hello.c -version -o /tmp/cciNi6kN.s
GNU C version egcs-2.91.60 19990113/philb (egcs-1.1.1 release) (arm-linux)
compiled by GNU C version egcs-2.91.60 19990113/philb (egcs-1.1.1 release).
 /usr/local/arm/arm-linux/bin/as -o /tmp/ccP5atNL.o /tmp/cciNi6kN.s
 /usr/local/arm/lib/gcc-lib/arm-linux/egcs-2.91.60/collect2 -dynamic-linker
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 -X -m elf32arm -o hello
/usr/local/arm/arm-linux/lib/crt1.o /usr/local/arm/arm-linux/lib/crti.o
/usr/local/arm/lib/gcc-lib/arm-linux/egcs-2.91.60/crtbegin.o
-L/usr/local/arm/lib/gcc-lib/arm-linux/egcs-2.91.60
-L/usr/local/arm/arm-linux/lib /tmp/ccP5atNL.o -lgcc -lc -lgcc
/usr/local/arm/lib/gcc-lib/arm-linux/egcs-2.91.60/crtend.o
/usr/local/arm/arm-linux/lib/crtn.o
/usr/local/arm/arm-linux/lib/crt1.o: file not recognized: File format not
recognized
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status