Subject: New development PartMan and new Linux loader

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 11:02:01 +0000 (GMT)

Ok, for all those people still using Acorn machines, there are new versions
of !Linux and !PartMan on the FTP site in /pub/armlinux/testing

Common changes:
  - lookup Filecore_SectorOp SWI before trying to determine if the
    filesystem has it's own _SectorOp call (was causing problems with
    ICS IDEFS)

!Linux changes:
  - Removed check for VRAM on ARM6 and up.  This does not imply that Linux
    will work without VRAM - you will need at least Linux 2.2.2 or later
    to try this out.

!PartMan changes:
  - basic RISCiX support on both SCSI and MFM drives (please test).
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: "(Tony)John Penton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 00:13:36 +0000 (GMT)

OK, so I'm new to this game, but I can't find an answer anywhere also
and I've tried all sorts.

Having finally managed to get ARMLinux to install, I waited for it to
ftp all the files which it did quite happily.  I configured the clock
and the keyboard, and then it said:
	I couldn't find a kernel!
and refused to go any further without one (quite understandable
really)

What am I doing wrong?

John

RPC600, 24+1Mb, 210+730Mb.  ANT EtherB in network card slot.
adfs on hda1, hdb1.
kernel on hdb1.
linux on hdb3 (2 table, 4 swap).

nb. the only possible problem I can imagine is that linux is failing
to read hdb, which I had problems getting to run from RISC OS.
(Although all the files appear there quite happily).  It is a Western
Digital IDE.

--
_Bump!_
"Ow!" squeeked something.
"That's funny," thought Pooh. "I said 'Ow!' without really oo'ing."
"Help!" said a small, high voice.
"That's me again," thought Pooh. "I've had an Accident and fallen down
a well, and my voice has gone all squeaky and works before I'm ready
for it, because I've done something to myself inside. Bother!"