Subject: SPAM!

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 21:30:38 +0000 (GMT)

Ok, we seem to have gotten our first spam on linux-arm.  I'm going to
cause majordomo to filter off any mail which does not contain linux-arm
in either the To: header or the CC: header.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Dave Zarzycki <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 14:03:37 -0800 (PST)

> in either the To: header or the CC: header.

People that like to BCC lists, take note, this will cause your message(s)  
to be dropped by majordomo. I don't do this, why other do, I don't know...
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I applaud this change.

davez

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 09:28:59 +0000

>in either the To: header or the CC: header.

Don't you think you're overreacting a little?

p.

---

From: Nicholas Clark <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 09:39:10 +0000 (GMT)

> Don't you think you're overreacting a little?

I think that that question can only be objectively answered with hindsight.
If the linux-arm list has got onto an e-mail address collection it might be the
start of a flood. On the other hand it might be a one off. If we really want to
know, then maybe in about a month Russel can post use one message telling us
what proportion of attempted mail got filtered off. (Being hideously busy, he
may well really not want to).

Personally I'm quite happy to see no spam whatsoever

Nick

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 14:37:11 +0000 (GMT)

> Don't you think you're overreacting a little?

Don't you think you're doing your best to make me even more annoyed with
you than I already am?
   _____

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 14:39:12 +0000 (GMT)

> may well really not want to).

Unfortunately, the majordomo on vger does not have the capability to do this.

> Personally I'm quite happy to see no spam whatsoever

Same here, and I know that people will drop off of the linux-arm list if
it gets spammed too many times.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Scott Bambrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 11:09:59 -0500

> Don't you think you're doing your best to make me even more annoyed with

Your overreacting and annoying me with this drivel.

Scott

---

From: Matthew Kirkwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 18:29:43 +0000 (GMT)

> Don't you think you're doing your best to make me even more annoyed with

Children, children.  This thread has already consumed more time
and bandwidth than the spam did.

I thought Linux was about doing things efficiently.

Matthew.

---

From: Alex Holden <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 20:43:13 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> If the linux-arm list has got onto an e-mail address collection it might be
> the start of a flood. On the other hand it might be a one off. If we

Note that Linux-Kernel and Linux-Hams both got the same spam. I think
somebody just noticed that there were a lot of mailing lists on vger,
asked majordomo for a list of them, and posted the spam to all of them.
Hopefully it was a one-off (even if it wasn't, there are plenty of people
on Linux-kernel who make a habit of getting spammers accounts cancelled).

--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :