Subject: some progress, anyone got a shell?

From: David A Rusling <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 07:59:37 +0000

all,

	I've made good progress in porting Linux to a new ARM
system.  Basically I've got the RAMdisk loading and the system
starting to boot from it.  I can see ('cos I hacked the kernel) the
init process come up and load both init and the libc that it's linked
against.   Unfortunately it goes horribly wrong from there.  I'm using
the rpc-root stuff - the latest that I can find which contains a.out
object format images.  What I last tried to do was to have init start
a shell executing shell commands - the really old basic way of booting
a system.   This access violates someplace - pretty hard to tell where.
OK, enough of this, a request.   Does anyone have either a statically
linked sh or a combination of sh and libc that is known good?   I'm
presuming that the root-rpc stuff is good, but I'm beginning to wonder.
Oh, yes I can build some cross tools, but my goal is to get a basic
RAMdisk kernel up and running, then to move to a different processor
(this system has multiple header cards, up to 4).   I'd rather not
faff around with tools if I can help it.

	Enough rambling, all help gratefully received...

Dave
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
David A Rusling			Consulting Engineer
				ARM Limited
				Liberty House,
				Moorbridge Road,
				Maidenhead, SL6 8LT

				Tel: UK-(0)1628-427754
				Fax: UK-(0)1628-780551
				e-mail: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 09:43:06 +0000 (GMT)

> presuming that the root-rpc stuff is good, but I'm beginning to wonder.

The root-rpc stuff is good, and most of the stuff on the first disk is
statically linked.  You may want to try getting the disk image up and
running as is - both the 'init' and the first level installer are both
statically linked.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 11:03:24 +0000

>linked sh or a combination of sh and libc that is known good?   I'm

The shell/libc combination on any of the various NetWinder boot images should 
be OK, assuming your cpu can handle ARMv4 instructions.

p.