Subject: NWFPE and libm.so.4 WARNING

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 20:52:36 +0000 (GMT)

I've just been looking at one of the many patches that Phil's sent me.

As it turns out, Corel have not implemented the following FP functions:

POW{cond}<S|D|E>{P,M,Z} Fd, Fn, <Fm,#value> - power
RPW{cond}<S|D|E>{P,M,Z} Fd, Fn, <Fm,#value> - reverse power
POL{cond}<S|D|E>{P,M,Z} Fd, Fn, <Fm,#value> - polar angle (arctan2)

LOG{cond}<S|D|E>{P,M,Z} Fd, <Fm,#value> - logarithm to base 10
LGN{cond}<S|D|E>{P,M,Z} Fd, <Fm,#value> - logarithm to base e
EXP{cond}<S|D|E>{P,M,Z} Fd, <Fm,#value> - exponent
SIN{cond}<S|D|E>{P,M,Z} Fd, <Fm,#value> - sine
COS{cond}<S|D|E>{P,M,Z} Fd, <Fm,#value> - cosine
TAN{cond}<S|D|E>{P,M,Z} Fd, <Fm,#value> - tangent
ASN{cond}<S|D|E>{P,M,Z} Fd, <Fm,#value> - arcsine
ACS{cond}<S|D|E>{P,M,Z} Fd, <Fm,#value> - arccosine
ATN{cond}<S|D|E>{P,M,Z} Fd, <Fm,#value> - arctangent

As a consequence, libm.so.4 (which is what all a.out binaries that require
math use) will not work correctly if any math function that uses any of
these is called.

If you wish to use these with Kernel 2.2, then I'm afraid you're in a
sticky situation until this can be sorted out, if it needs to be sorted
out at all anyway.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 23:09:27 +0000

>sticky situation until this can be sorted out, if it needs to be sorted

Yeah.  Implementing the missing opcodes is certainly on the to-do list; once 
that's done the libc could be taught to use them which should give a bit of a
performance improvement.  I get the impression not all that many people are 
doing heavy maths on ARM machines though so the demand seems to be pretty 
small.

If anybody is interested in implementing them, they should probably get in 
touch with Scott, or failing that with me.  At least some ideas exist for how 
they might be implemented; it's just time that's been lacking so far.

p.