Subject: problem compiling 2.2.1-rmk4

From: Nicky Kern <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 16:37:13 +0100

I'm trying to cross-compile the 2.2.1-rmk4-Kernel for a Digital DNARD
(which uses the EBSA110-Board, as far as I know) on a 386/Linux-box.

Binutils/EGCS went all fine with the description from Tim Lindquist last
Friday on the list. 

The kernel compiles fine, but gets a long list of unresolved sym's during 
linking. 

Something like this:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
init/main.o(.data.init+0x2c): undefined reference to `kbd_reset_setup'
drivers/char/char.a(tty_io.o): In function `tty_open':
tty_io.o(.text+0x1cf8): undefined reference to `fg_console'
drivers/char/char.a(tty_io.o): In function `tty_ioctl':
tty_io.o(.text+0x2ffc): undefined reference to `tioclinux'
tty_io.o(.text+0x2ffc): relocation truncated to fit: R_ARM_PC24 tioclinux
drivers/char/char.a(tty_io.o): In function `console_init':
tty_io.o(.text.init+0x7c): undefined reference to `con_init'
tty_io.o(.text.init+0x7c): relocation truncated to fit: R_ARM_PC24 con_init
drivers/char/char.a(tty_io.o): In function `tty_init':
tty_io.o(.text.init+0x228): undefined reference to `kbd_init'
tty_io.o(.text.init+0x228): relocation truncated to fit: R_ARM_PC24
kbd_init
drivers/char/char.a(vc_screen.o): In function `vcs_size':
vc_screen.o(.text+0x28): undefined reference to `fg_console'
vc_screen.o(.text+0x34): undefined reference to `vc_cons_allocated'
vc_screen.o(.text+0x34): relocation truncated to fit: R_ARM_PC24
vc_cons_allocated
vc_screen.o(.text+0x70): undefined reference to `vc_cons'
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It goes on like that for another one or two pages...

I tried to fiddle around with some of the Make- and c-files, but it
wouldn't help...

Is there an easy solution to this problem??

Thanks
	Nicky

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Verein der Informatikstudierenden
Nicky Kern
ETH Zentrum                                          IFW B29
Tel: 01/632 72 12                                    [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 22:06:28 +0000

>The kernel compiles fine, but gets a long list of unresolved sym's during 

It looks like compilation may be broken for ebsa-110 at the moment.  I don't 
think it's a cross compile issue specifically.

p.

---

From: Russell King <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 09:00:14 +0000 (GMT)

> think it's a cross compile issue specifically.

I don't think so - before releasing the rmk4 patches, the kernel was compiled
for each of the following architectures:

 - rpc
 - DC21285 with EBSA285 and NetWinder support
 - EBSA-110
 - A5000

I didn't notice any problems with any of these builds - can you give your
exact configuration please (.config file).
--
Russell King ([email-masked])

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 09:46:13 +0000

>exact configuration please (.config file).

I guess he probably had CONFIG_VT or something like that turned on.  Is there 
anything to stop that going wrong?

p.

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 20:30:50 +0000 (GMT)

> anything to stop that going wrong?

Not as far as I know.  The EBSA110 is the only Linux machine that I know in the
kernel trees which doesn't have a terminal.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]