Subject: Linux-ARM on HP Jornada 820

From: David Feustel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 12:23:02 +0000

I just bought an HP Jornada 820. 
Has anyone any info on installing Linux-arm on this computer?

Thanks.

Dave Feustel
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Dave Baukus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 09:16:14 -0600

I am running an ebsa284 (well half running) on a pci back plane and I am near 
the point that I need to NFS mount the root file system.

problem 1:	I don't have a root file system containing arm compiled executables.
problem 2:	I'm cross compiling for the ebsa on a Sun; I don't have properly
		populated arm-linux root file system;

Question1:	Is there better way to create a root file system on my Sun
		short of downloading a bizillion individual packages (e.g. SRPMs)
		compiling  these individually, and constructing a root fs by
		hand ?

--
Dave Baukus
	Inet Inc. - R & D
	[email-masked]
	(972) 578 - 3930

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 15:43:42 +0000

>		compiling  these individually, and constructing a root fs by

Get either the NetWinder disk image or the Debian boot image.  The former is 
basically a complete system in a tarball and the latter contains enough to
boot the machine to the point you can run dpkg and install more things 
that way. 

Failing that you can grab the binary RPMs from RedHat Rawhide and do something 
like

for $i in *.armv4l.rpm; do rpm2cpio $i | cpio --extract ; done

to just pull out the binaries

p.

---

From: Alex Holden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 17:58:57 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Philip Blundell wrote:
> >		short of downloading a bizillion individual packages (e.g.SRPMs)

> Failing that you can grab the binary RPMs from RedHat Rawhide and do something 

Or get Mike Montour's rescue image, or Rod Stewart's Titan II (the former
is a minimal set of binaries intended to use for NFS-rescue of a hosed
NetWinder, the latter is a smallish distribution which uses a versioned
Glibc (incompatible with current NetWinder binaries, but what RedHat 6.0
is going to use eventually)).

http://www.netwinder.org/~mmontour/
ftp://ftp.nw.carleton.ca/pub/winder/

--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 19:24:41 +0000 (GMT)

> Has anyone any info on installing Linux-arm on this computer?

For the moment no. People have been discussing stuff with HP.  
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: David Feustel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 13:59:31 +0000

I just opened up the Jornada to install an additional 16 Mb ram.
It appears that the rom module is easily replaceable. How hard
is it likely to be to get Linux programmed into a Jornada rom module?

-- 
David Feustel
Fort Wayne, Indiana
219-483-1857

http://www.d-feustel.com

---

From: Alex Holden <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 19:22:18 +0000 (GMT)

> is it likely to be to get Linux programmed into a Jornada rom module?

You'd have to do the port first.
For development, you'd be better off writing a wince boot loader.

---

From: David A Rusling <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 06:45:21 +0000

> > is it likely to be to get Linux programmed into a Jornada rom module?

I cannot remember what flavour of flash device(s) it has.  As it's an 1100
derived
design, I'm guessing that it has a boot ROM and then an in-flash copy of
WinCE and
its applications.  That being so, you could remove the ROM, program it and
have another
boot path.

I don't believe that anyone has ported Linux to the Jornada - although there
is/was a
port to the SA-1100 (ITSY).

> For development, you'd be better off writing a wince boot loader.

True.   I think (and it is only think) that the Wince boot loader merely
swaps to the
image in flash (big flash as opposed to small flash or ROM).  The system may
do
this via address line swapping rather than the in ROM boot loader...

--
----------------------------------------------------------------------
David A Rusling                 Consulting Engineer
                                ARM Limited
                                Liberty House,
                                Moorbridge Road,
                                Maidenhead, SL6 8LT

                                Tel: UK-(0)1628-427754
                                Fax: UK-(0)1628-780551
                                e-mail: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: David Feustel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 07:06:02 +0000

I just found out last night that the Jornada has a commandline shell.
Start it up by clicking start -> run and then type cmd.exe.
Not very much functionality. Maybe no piping. Dir works :-).

-- 
David Feustel
Fort Wayne, Indiana
219-483-1857

http://www.d-feustel.com