Subject: trouble with glibc-2.0.110

From: Peter Danielsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 09:18:08 +0000

I've found that the definition of FD_SET in
include/asm/posix_types.h is incompatible
with the definition in glibc.

The trouble is that the definition in asm/posix_types.h
uses the name fds_bits for the bit field of a fd_set
while in glibc __fds_bits is used instead.

Could anybody tell me the difference between the
implementation of the FD_* macros in glibc and
those found in the kernel headers?

/Peter
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 10:14:45 +0000

>with the definition in glibc.

Yes.  You mustn't mix kernel headers with libc ones.  Many datatypes are 
different and this is usually a recipe for trouble.

Do you have a particular need to include kernel headers in your program?

p.

---

From: Peter Danielsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 12:11:53 +0000

I'm trying to get GGI (a graphics library) and the associated libraries 
to work on the arm-platform. The kernel headers are used for supporting
some linux-specific details like keyboard handling. But I'll complain
to the people that has written the libraries and get them to change
things!

/Peter

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 13:00:39 +0000

>to the people that has written the libraries and get them to change

That's certainly the best plan.  This isn't a problem specific to the ARM; it 
will affect any platform using glibc.  The incompatibilities are somewhat 
worse with glibc 2.1 (as used on the NetWinder) than glibc 2.0 (as used by 
most distributions for other platforms at the moment) which may be why you're 
noticing it for the first time.

p.