Subject: Re: Trivial shell for Linux bootstrapping (CATS)

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 17:29:24 +0000

>Here is the source code, build script and binary for tsh (trivial
>shell) that we've used to bootstrap Linux-arm on CATS.  The trick

Out of interest, why did you want to use this rather than a binary 
distribution of a standard shell?

p.

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: "Frank A. Vorstenbosch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 16:58:27 -0100

Hallo!

Here is the source code, build script and binary for tsh (trivial
shell) that we've used to bootstrap Linux-arm on CATS.  The trick
is to make something that requires only very primitive support from
the library.  It should be possible to get the nine object files
from glibc to compile if you've got egcs working.

For this to compile, you need the following files:

tsh.c mk          -- included in this archive

_exit.o exit.o    -- from glibc
read.o write.o
crt1.o fork.o 
wait.o execve.o wait4.o

Tsh does not have much built in; it needs support executables
for almost everything (only cls and exit are built-in).
We found a debian distribution for NetWinder that works
somewhat, and mount that with NFS and BOOTP.

Apologies for posting binaries yet again, but it's really
small...

Good luck,
Frank

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frank A. Vorstenbosch     <SPAM_ACCEPT="NONE">    Phone: 0181 - 636 3000
Electronics and Software Engineer                 Mobile: 0976 - 430 569
Eidos Technologies Ltd., Wimbledon, London        Email: [email-masked]
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Werner Almesberger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 15:41:30 +0100 (MET)

> for almost everything (only cls and exit are built-in).

BTW, if anybody needs a really primitive shell, you can try my micro shell:
ftp://lrcftp.epfl.ch/pub/people/almesber/psion/ush-2.tar.gz

(No builtins, no variables, no io redirection, no if, while, etc., but if
you type a name, it will try to run that program and even pass it
parameters :-)

It doesn't need any library at all. Those few system calls that it uses it
defines itself. Useful if there isn't really much in you system that works
yet.

As soon as you have libc and such, ash works well. Doesn't even need
floating point.

- Werner

-- 
  _________________________________________________________________________
 / Werner Almesberger, DI-ICA,EPFL,CH   [email-masked] /
/_IN_R_131__Tel_+41_21_693_6621__Fax_+41_21_693_6610_____________________/
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]