Subject: I don't know what's wrong anymore

From: John Lindley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 02:11:08 +0000 (GMT)

After a recent abortive atempt to compile gcc 2.8.1 I removed everything
in preperation to start again. However now anything I try to compile stops
with errors relating to undefined references to _fxstat, _lxstat etc.
I've unrpm'ed all the original development tools but to no avail. I was
hoping someone could point me to what or where it's going wrong.

+---------------------------------+--------------------------------+
| www : www.BITS.bris.ac.uk/~john |  emo : [email-masked]	   |
+---------------------------------+--------------------------------+
|     ...Doh said Pooh, suffering from an identity crisis          |
+------------------------------------------------------------------+

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 10:11:57 +0000

>hoping someone could point me to what or where it's going wrong.

It sounds like your C library is somehow screwed up.  Have you tried to 
install glibc at any point?  If so you might have ended up with header files 
that don't match the actual library.

Try reinstalling the original libc from the binary distribution.  BTW, you may 
like to consider egcs-1.1.1 rather than gcc 2.8.1 for your next attempt at 
building the compiler. :-)

p.

---

From: John Lindley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 13:46:00 +0000 (GMT)

> building the compiler. :-)
I was under the impression that I had reinstalled these, unless I have to
do something else to make sure it's using those libs.

egcs was planned as well, but when I started this little adventure 1.1.1
wasn't released, so I felt it best to start small

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 14:03:06 +0000

>do something else to make sure it's using those libs.

No, you shouldn't need to do anything special.  Are you sure you installed the 
package with the headers in (probably libc-devel) as well as the libraries 
themselves?

>wasn't released, so I felt it best to start small

Fair enough.

p.

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 14:34:17 +0000

All that I can say is that I followed Phil's directions and file/patch
pointers
and ended up with a cross a.out build environment that works fine for
2.0.36 based
kernels.  This suites me for now...

---

From: Stefan Hanske <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 16:52:40 +0100 (CET)

> hoping someone could point me to what or where it's going wrong.

This could be due to a mismatch in the heaader-files that came with
the libc-4 package. Grep through all of them for the appearance of _fxstat
or _lxstat. In the /usr/lib/gcc-lib/2.7.??-directory there is a correct
replacement for this. (Don´t delete the old *.h file, rename it so that
the changes can be undone if anything goes wrong!!!)

----------------------------------------------------------
|mailto: Stefan Hanske ([email-masked] |
|WWW : http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~shanske      |
|phone: I'm not silly                                    |
|--------------------------------------------------------|
| And don't forget to remember what you remembered not   |
| to forget to remember...				 |
----------------------------------------------------------