Subject: Installing onto IDEFS

From: James Stevens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 13:43:04 +0000 (GMT)

Hello.

I know this must be a FAQ, but has anyone actually managed to install
ARMLinux directly onto an APDL IDEFS drive?

!PartMan seems to be the known problem for this, I've tried the alpha
release, but the "New" menu option is always disabled.

I /could/ resort to installing it onto the original Internal ADFS drive, but
it is only 2.5GB (would that be enough for a heavy usage installation?)

TIA
Jamie.

-- 
James Stevens - [email-masked]
UK Star Trek: Voyager Reviews - http://visitweb.com/voyager

"I am Homer of Borg.  You will be assimil.. mmmm, Donuts!"
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 14:27:04 +0000 (GMT)

> release, but the "New" menu option is always disabled.

AFAIK, the latest alpha PartMan should work on all partition formats
listed on the initial window, except EESOX and Cumana.

IDEFS has been reported to be ok.

As ever, any problems with PartMan should be accompanied by a log file
relevent to the session with PartMan that the problem was noticed.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: James Stevens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 18:21:42 +0000 (GMT)

In article <[email-masked]>,

> AFAIK, the latest alpha PartMan should work on all partition formats listed
> on the initial window, except EESOX and Cumana.

> IDEFS has been reported to be ok.

IDEFS is listed as :

New Part = Yes
Edit Part = Coded
Save Table = Enabled (but the "Save" menu option always seems to be disabled)

> relevent to the session with PartMan that the problem was noticed.

It seems to identify the disc correctly, but I just cannot use the "New"
option.
It is an 8GB harddrive, and I have used the IDEFS formatting program to
reduce it to 5GB, leaving 3GB for Linux.

This is what the main window reports

File System = IDEFS::5
Scheme = ICSIDEFS
Disc Size = 5120MB
Sector Size = 512 bytes
C/H/S = 10403/16/63

This is the only partition that is listed.
Partition = 1
Start = 0
End = 10486799
Size = 5121 MB
Type = Filecore

I hope this info is of use.

Jamie.

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 19:52:27 +0000 (GMT)

> Save Table = Enabled (but the "Save" menu option always seems to be disabled)

That's correct - the save option is disabled because no changes have been
made to the partition table.

> C/H/S = 10403/16/63

Aha!  This is wrong.  It's telling you that you have a 5GB drive, not an
8GB one.  Could you try entering the correct number of cylinders?

You actually have two options on partitioning an IDEFS drive - either use
the ICS/ADPL formatter program to create a couple of extra partitions
and then use PartMan to edit them, or use PartMan from the start (and
tell it the size of the disk).

In general, you should always check the number of cylinders that PartMan
tells you...
   _____