Subject: Re: Running X server on 2.2.1-rmk1

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 17:17:56 +0000 (GMT)

Chris Gransden writes:
> Fatal server error:
> OpenConsole: VT_GETSCRINFO failed

I have a replacement (but not 100% tested) X server which is basically the
old version upgraded to handle the new fbcon.  It will still work with old
kernels however.

I'll upload it to the FTP site soon.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 20:41:43 +0000 (GMT)

> I'll upload it to the FTP site soon.

Ok, you should find it at:

 ftp.arm.linux.org.uk:/pub/armlinux/testing/Xarmlinux.gz
   _____
 --------------------- Email-relevent MINI FAQ ----------------------
 Installer keys   : ALT-F1 installer, ALT-F2 shell, ALT-F3 installer
                    messages, ALT-F4 kernel messages
 Ether3/B problems: try latest 2.0.34 kernel and root disk.
 --------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Chris Gransden <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 22:15:11 +0000 (GMT)

>  ftp.arm.linux.org.uk:/pub/armlinux/testing/Xarmlinux.gz

Thanks for that. Unfortunately it locks solid as soon as the mouse pointer
appears in the middle of the screen. It still works under 2.0.35 though.
Here's my device file, just in case I got it wrong,

crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root      29,   0 Feb  7 21:11 /dev/fb0

-- 
Email: [email-masked]
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Hiroshi Ishii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 13:49:19 +0900

On Sun, 7 Feb 1999 20:41:43 +0000 (GMT)

>  ftp.arm.linux.org.uk:/pub/armlinux/testing/Xarmlinux.gz

Good!! Please open its source too.

--------------------------------------
♪♪Funai Electric Engineering Co.,LTD♪♪
                                     -Hiroshi Ishii-
             rock'n roll
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Chris Gransden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 23:40:26 +0000 (GMT)

In article <[email-masked]>,

> crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root      29,   0 Feb  7 21:11 /dev/fb0

It turns out that if I move the mouse around after typing startx the X
server starts up fine. This is with rmk2.
I've set the console to 1280x1024 8bit but X always starts up in 640x480
4bit. Setting the resolution and depth from an X term the screen display
gets corrupted. If I then exit back to the console and restart the X server
I get the intended resolution and depth. I've also noticed the mouse
pointer is restricted to the 640x480 screen size in the console.