Subject: Odd target name?

From: Chris Rutter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 20:21:13 +0000 (GMT)

I looked in rmk's top-level Makefile for Linux 2.2.1, and found:

    CROSS_COMPILE   =/usr/src/bin/arm/arm-linuxelf-

What exactly is `arm-linuxelf' -- I thought `arm-linux' was ELF?

-- 
Chris <[email-masked]>                         ( http://www.fluff.org/chris )

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 20:34:29 +0000 (GMT)

> What exactly is `arm-linuxelf' -- I thought `arm-linux' was ELF?

It is arm-linux.  That is the path to my special ELF tools which are
based on the (so far not proven wrong) GCC 2.7.2.2 and binutils-2.8
toolchain I have here.  This toolchain is not binary compatable with
the latest tools however, but it does produce 99.999% correct code.
(in the 3 or so years I've used it, I only know of one bug which is
tickled by the X libraries).
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Nicholas Clark <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 10:54:37 +0000 (GMT)

> toolchain I have here.  This toolchain is not binary compatable with

Now, might this explain why Russell can build a 2.2.1 kernel that will load on
my RiscPC, when I can't ?

Nick

---

From: Russell King <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 17:45:46 +0000 (GMT)

Nicholas Clark said:
> Now, might this explain why Russell can build a 2.2.1 kernel that will
> load on my RiscPC, when I can't ?

It's possible, but I wouldn't recommend anyone trying to get GCC 2.7.2.2
and binutils 2.8 going for ELF - I'd recommend trying to find out why
GCC/EGCS & Binutils 2.9 don't work.

--
Russell King ([email-masked])

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 19:12:54 +0100

> GCC/EGCS & Binutils 2.9 don't work.

... and why it works for philb, but not anyone else!  :-)  I hear egcs
1.1.2 is just out; perhaps I'll update my compiler & binutils to the
latest versions this weekend.

-- 
Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
"I decry the current tendency to seek patents on algorithms.  There are
better ways to earn a living than to prevent other people from making use of
one's contributions to computer science."  -- Donald E. Knuth, TAoCP vol 3
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 22:45:38 +0000

>... and why it works for philb, but not anyone else!  :-)

Bah.

>I hear egcs 1.1.2 is just out; 

Only a prerelease thus far, I think.  I don't think 1.1.2 will bring any 
exciting changes for arm-linux people though.

p.