Subject: Next step - information please...

From: Melanie Rhianna Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 14:16:34 +0000 (GMT)

I want to update the ARM Linux running on my RiscPC (ARM610/RISC OS
3.5/Issue 1 MB).  I would like to have cross compilers for both aout and
ELF.

ELF
---

As I already have a native aout compiler I started with ELF.  I have
compiled binutils2.9.1.0.19a (with appropriate patch).  Setting the target
to arm-linux as it didn't like armv3-linux and it seems to have worked. 

My first two questions are:

1)	Am I correct in assuming it doesn't matter about the processor
	type with binutils?
2)	armv3 is the *right* type definition for an ARM610?

I have obtained and compiled egcs1.1.1 setting the target to armv3-linux
and compiling the first stage.  Ie LANGUAGES="c".  Again I think this
worked as compiling to an assembler source does indeed generate ARM code.

Am I doing this right?

I have also obtained the sources from cygnus of glibc2.0.111 and tried
compiling it with the target set to armv3-linux.  It seems to break in the
middle of compilation. The output is below... 

mkdir /usr/src/glibc-build/csu
mkdir /usr/src/glibc-build/gnu
In file included from /usr/local/armv3-linux/include/linux/ptrace.h:24,
                 from /usr/local/armv3-linux/include/linux/personality.h:5,
                 from ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/init-first.c:23:
/usr/local/armv3-linux/include/asm/ptrace.h:4: asm/proc/ptrace.h: No such
file or directory
In file included from /usr/local/armv3-linux/include/linux/ptrace.h:24,
                 from /usr/local/armv3-linux/include/linux/personality.h:5,
                 from ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/init-first.c:23:
/usr/local/armv3-linux/include/asm/ptrace.h:4: asm/proc/ptrace.h: No such
file or directory
make[2]: *** [/usr/src/glibc-build/csu/init-first.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [csu/subdir_lib] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

What have I done wrong?  The kernel sources are a late version 2.1
kernel.  I have a log of the make output if that helps.

aout
----

binutils successfully compiled with arm-linux-aout as the target as did
egcs.  Neither of them liked armv3-linux-aout.  What target processor have
I actually built these for.  What do I do about libraries.  Sources for
libc4 are not on the ARM Linux web site.

Kernels et al
-------------

Am I right in thinking that the 2.0 kernels are broken wrt ELF for the
ARM?  I do have the sources to 2.2.1 and patch sitting on my sun at work
waiting for me to blow a CD.  What is the best kernel to use for an ELF
system.  What other tools do I need to build to get an aout/ELF hybrid
system up and running.

Many thanks

Melanie
 
-- 
=====================================================================
Melanie Rhianna Lewis                      [email-masked]
"An it hurt none, do what thou will"    http://www.defaid.demon.co.uk
   TLBB#2 TGMCC#1 - GS550 (In potentia), X7 (In bits!), MZ 125TS 
=====================================================================

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 15:21:02 +0000

>1)	Am I correct in assuming it doesn't matter about the processor

Yes.

>2)	armv3 is the *right* type definition for an ARM610?

Yes.  The reason binutils didn't like it is just because its configure scripts 
need updating.

>/usr/local/armv3-linux/include/asm/ptrace.h:4: asm/proc/ptrace.h: No such

You have to make the appropriate symlinks in the kernel source directory.  
This happens automatically when you configure the kernel; otherwise you must 
manually link include/asm-arm/proc-armv -> include/asm-arm/proc and so on.

>libc4 are not on the ARM Linux web site.

I think the default target processor for a.out is still an ARM3.  Binutils 
doesn't care, it's only egcs that needs to know.

>ARM?

It might be OK in the latest versions.  Corel's are definitely OK but their 
source may not work on non-NetWinder machines.

>What is the best kernel to use for an ELF system.

I use 2.2.1 quite successfully.

>What other tools do I need to build to get an aout/ELF hybrid
>system up and running.

None that I can think of.

p.

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 21:18:31 +0000 (GMT)

> manually link include/asm-arm/proc-armv -> include/asm-arm/proc and so on.

Not quite true.  You need to make config followed by either make symlinks or
make dep

> source may not work on non-NetWinder machines.

I think it's highly likely that Corel's source will not work on non-NetWinder
machines, although I haven't looked at their 2.0.35 sources yet.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]