Subject: bootloading 2.2.1 kernel from RISC OS

From: Nicholas Clark <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 20:00:39 +0000 (GMT)

I'm having problems getting RISC OS to load my newly compile 2.2.1 kernel.
I'm invoking linux from matthew's !Marble app, but I believe that that calls
Russel's bootloader, so I suspect that the bootloader (or me) is he problem

If I make zImage then the bootloader says something like "invalid
compressed data" (err=1) and then halts the system.
If I try vmlinux (is that the uncompressed kernel, or am I daft here)
it just locks up.

I've looked at the top of the zImage file and the first 4 bytes differ
between 2.2.1 and 2.0.35 but are the same between the 3 2.0.35 kernels
I have - has the format changed?

I tried downloading the bootladoer from the ARMlinux ftp site, but
it's dated 1997 so I don't think that'll help me.

What am I doing wrong?

Nicholas Clark
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 20:18:41 +0000

>compressed data" (err=1) and then halts the system.

Check that you've got the latest !Linux.  This used to be an endemic problem 
but I think it was solved some time ago.

Loading vmlinux directly won't work; it's not a straight executable image.  
You could try `make Image' which will give you an uncompressed 
arch/arm/boot/Image that should be OK, but it's not much more likely to work 
than the compressed version.

p.

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 21:19:43 +0000 (GMT)

> compressed data" (err=1) and then halts the system.

Hmm, sounds like the boot loader is not mapping the kernel correctly.

> If I try vmlinux (is that the uncompressed kernel, or am I daft here)

This is the expected behaviour.

> I have - has the format changed?

Ever so slightly, but I wasn't aware that old loaders couldn't load it.

> it's dated 1997 so I don't think that'll help me.

There are later - see /pub/armlinux/testing
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Nicholas Clark <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 14:54:16 +0000 (GMT)

> This is the expected behaviour.

:-)

I've been told that I need to make Image so I did.
 
> There are later - see /pub/armlinux/testing

Got one dated 21 Feb 1999 (IIRC)

using zImage
bootloader asks about arguments to kernel (as expected)
error about "invalid compressed data" (as above)

using Image as my kernel:
bootloader asks about arguments to kernel
system locks up after I press return (no text messages as linux starts)

I've tried rebuilding with my a.out-> elf cross compiler instead of my
elf native compiler, but no change to the above.

My zImage is 540000 ish bytes long, which Russell thinks is a bit short.
I did try answering M to as many configuration questions as I could.

I'm pretty much out of inspiration as to what to do next.

Nick