Subject: FAQ

From: MHE <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 14:57:19 +0100

Hi,

I'm new to this, so I just retrieved the FAQ from
http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux/faq.html

It is dated 14-Oct-1998 (4 months ago). Is this the latest version or is
there a more recent version available from somewhere else?

--
Maurice Hendrix

snailmail: Fuji Photo Film BV                Standard disclaimers apply
           Dept. P1LPI
           attn. M. Hendrix
           PO Box 90156
           5000 LJ  Tilburg
phone: +31 13-579 1370     or fax: +31 13-579 1385

- Still 23 months to go until the next millenium...
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 22:49:17 +0000 (GMT)

> there a more recent version available from somewhere else?

This is the latest.  If you've got any extra questions that you think ought
to be on there, send a bit of HTML formatted in a similar way to what's
already there and I'll stick it in (or send me a textual version and it'll
take a little longer).
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Tom Palmer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 09:22:10 +0000

>already there and I'll stick it in (or send me a textual version and it'll

  As a related note I was looking at the Architectures page and saw that the
A7000 is supported.  I had a bit more of a dig around and couldn't find
anything to do with it.  If I remember correctly the A7000 has ARM7500 in it
(same as an acorn NC).  Does this mean that one of the Acorn NC's could run
Linux?

  Cheers,

  Tom

---

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 09:30:03 +0000

> (same as an acorn NC).  Does this mean that one of the Acorn NC's could run

Yes, but since the NC doesn't have any on-board disc, you'd have to bootp
the thing, and NFS-mount your root filesystem.  There's no real problem
with this, other than that there's no linux device driver for the NC's
ethernet card.

Cheers,
Phil

---

From: Tom Palmer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 09:37:33 +0000

>with this, other than that there's no linux device driver for the NC's

  Ok.  Cool.  If I remember correctly the NC has an irlam ethernet card. 
Anyone know the chipset or how easy it would be to add support?

  Cheers,

  Tom

---

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 09:51:25 +0000

> Anyone know the chipset or how easy it would be to add support?

It does, yes.  It's an EtherN, and the chipset is a Macronix MX98905.

Cheers,
Phil

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 10:20:24 +0000

>It does, yes.  It's an EtherN, and the chipset is a Macronix MX98905.

It's just an NE2000 clone I think, similar to many others (probably the 
majority of Acorn cards actually).  So it shouldn't be that hard to write 
a driver.

p.

---

From: Joe Meza <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 09:24:13 -0800

I am trying to get starting to a port of the ARM Linux
code to the Cogent ARM development platforms.
I am having a bit of trouble obtaining the source.  When
I unzip the .gz file either with winzip or with gunzip, I
get one huge file of concatenated diffs.
Has anyone experienced this problem?  Am I not
downloading the correct file?  I'd love to get started
if I could only download the source!!!!

joe

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 18:19:21 +0000

>get one huge file of concatenated diffs.

That's what it's supposed to be like.  What were you expecting?

p.

---

From: John Lindley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 01:46:02 +0000 (GMT)

> unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
So is there any chance of anyone doing so? It's just I had a mad idea of
setting up an NC as an mp3 player in my living room. I thought about
hacking about with dmpa, but I'd much prefer to use linux

+---------------------------------+--------------------------------+
| www : www.BITS.bris.ac.uk/~john |  emo : [email-masked]	   |
+---------------------------------+--------------------------------+
|     ...Doh said Pooh, suffering from an identity crisis          |
+------------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 09:15:41 +0000 (GMT)

> hacking about with dmpa, but I'd much prefer to use linux

Since it is a NE2000 clone, Linux already has a generic driver for such cards
(they're extremely popular with clone manufacturers, and there's literally
hundreds of chips out there which do NE2000 stuff).

All that needs doing is some code put around this driver to tell it where
the chip is, and how to put/get packets on to/off of the card.

If someone wants to take this on, take a look at the EtherH driver - that's
a NE2000 clone board.
   _____

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 11:16:47 +0000

>So is there any chance of anyone doing so? It's just I had a mad idea of

I imagine the stumbling block is that the hardware is pretty rare.  Why not 
try to write one yourself?

p.

---

From: Thomas McDonald Palmer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 13:03:15 +0000 (GMT)

> try to write one yourself?

  At the moment I thinking of doing just that.  I have a collegue who is looking into getting the relevant hardware specs from Irlam so maybe sometime soon an nc could be running linux :)

  As an aside surely if someone wanted to get an nc running linux-arm why not just swap out the network card for one that is supported (say an etherh).

  Cheers,

  Tom

  BTW:  Just remembered, on a previous post someone stated that the network card inside an nc is an ethern.  From the irlam website the card is stated as an etheri.  Who is right? (my money is on irlam :))
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 12:51:18 +0000 (GMT)

> > majority of Acorn cards actually).  So it shouldn't be that hard to write 

Umm. The Macronix stuff nowdays is tulip clone(ish)

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 12:59:42 +0000

>Umm. The Macronix stuff nowdays is tulip clone(ish)

I thought the 98905 was one of the old 8390 style chips.  If the tulip clones 
are PCI based it would be pretty painful to interface them to a podule bus.

p.

---

From: Thomas Sailer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 15:31:58 +0100

> Umm. The Macronix stuff nowdays is tulip clone(ish)

The tulip clones are 98713, 715, 725 and up. 

Tom

---

From: dooby <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 19:06:45 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

I recently reinstalled Linux. I followed Chris Pringle's instructions for
installing on my A5000, and all is well. I followed the instructions for
LoadMap (exactly as I did last time). The problem is, this time !Linux
does not take me straight to the menu, but says
Error : Out of memory for kernel
I have 128MB ADFS then 64MB root, 64MB home, 600MB usr then some swap
space, so the kenel (/boot/vmlinuz) _is_ accessible by FileCore.

I don't understand what I have changed for this not to work now, as it did
previously. Any ideas anyone?

cheers,

Pete

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 21:44:44 +0000 (GMT)

dooby writes:
>...

If you're running it under the desktop, it may be that the Next slot is not
large enough, although I thought that the !Run file there took care of that.
Try increasing the Next slot on the task manager to around 1MB.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]