Subject: Re: Flash upload to ebsa285

From: Mark van Doesburg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 23:24:10 +0100

christophe wrote: I've got an ebsa285 card but not the ARM SDT
	(only got the demonstration version, which doesn't have angel
	remote_a)

	Is there any Linux tool or free dos tool to upload Linux kernel
	to ebsa285 flash memory ?

I've created a very crude program to program the flash in the blank
programming mode. It has a module you have to load in order to access
the ROM. To program you have to run a simple program which allows you to
crash your computer if you get the address wrong :-) Let me know if
you're interested.

greetings,

Mark.
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 23:09:57 +0000 (GMT)

> crash your computer if you get the address wrong :-) Let me know if

I do have a working version of Digital's FMU (flash management utility)
which works under Linux on the EBSA285.  However, Digital have put a non-
freely distributable license on it, so I'm unable to distribute it.

Since the license has been transferred to Intel, what are the chances
of getting it changed? 0?
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Andrew Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 11:13:30 GMT

> of getting it changed? 0?

I don't see how these tools will acomplish the final goal of getting the
kernel to boot. As far as I can tell the primary boot loader (in flash
block 0) isn't capable of loading an elf kernel which is what has been
generated by the kernel build. Converting this to axf format doesn't
seem to help as the 2nd conditional in head-armv.S tests r1 to determine
the board type (OK, we can bodge this).

Can someone out there who is running a linux kernel on an EBSA285
board please explain how to take the vmlinux generated by 'make all'
and get the thing to boot on an ebsa285 using tools which are publicly
available. [Sorry if I sound frustrated only I'm trying to write my
own boot loader (for linnux for an ebsa285) and is driving me cRaZYYY
:-)]

Note, the dos fmu tools etc. are available on Intels web site.
(follow links from
http://developer.intel.com/design/strong/sa-evaldownload.htm )

[BTW: Who is talking to who in HP about the Journada ? I might be 
interested in helping...]

Andrew
------
Andrew Thomas				
Hewlett-Packard Laboratories, Bristol	
Filton Road				Email: [email-masked]
Stoke Gifford				Phone: +44 117 922 9511
Bristol BS34 8QZ			FAX:   +44 117 922 9286
United Kingdom				HP Telnet:     312 9511

---

From: Dave Baukus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 08:50:53 -0600

> own boot loader (for linnux for an ebsa285) and is driving me cRaZYYY

	Well, its a hack, not elegant and only a temporary solution; It also
	probably has many hidden problems that I've yet to uncover. Thus far
	I'm up to mounting an NFS root FS and failing some where in the init
	process. But here is:

	Oh yea - I run the ebsa285 on a PCI backplane - maybe that matters:

        0.)     Make some changes to the start of head-armv.S. These things
would
                be done by a proper linux boot loader:
                        - Dissable interuptts, MMU, and caching, set mode to
                        supervisor.
                        - inittialize address 0x100 (i.e. PARAMS_BASE)
                        to some valid values (see arch/arm/kernel/setup.c 
                        (param_struct)) - maybe this is optional ?
                        - Set r0 to 0 and r1 to 4 and fall through to
                        the original code.

        1.)     I built the image as is - no changes to the build env.
        2.)     Strip the image, objcopy the image, wrap a AIF header around
                the image. The aif header says to load the image at 0x8000.
        3.)     Connect to the board w/ armsd and load the flash management 
                utility (fmu.axf)
        4)      Via fmu.axf program the image to one of the flash sectors.
        5.)     turn the roto switch on card to point to the correct sector.
        6)      exit the fmu and armsd and tip back into the card at 9600

	Other problems include:
		- the PCI code does not assign IO or Mem addresses to PCI devices
		- there are some assumptions in the PCI inerrupt mapping that didn't
		work for me.vPCI interupt mapping seems to assume that the ebsa board 
		is in the system slot of my PCI backplane (slot 3 has the same 
		interupt mapping as the system slot).
--
Dave Baukus
	Inet Inc. - R & D
	[email-masked]
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]