Subject: Re: Cross building bash

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 15:19:19 +0000

>How do I cross build bash on a i486 ?

With great difficulty.  Autoconf scripts are often awkward for cross 
compiling, and bash is worse than most because it contains a great number of 
tests that don't work.

>have tried CC=arm-linux-gcc ./configure --host=arm-linux
>--build=i486-linux 

This is how it ought to work, but as you've discovered the configure scripts 
expect to be able to compile and run programs on the build machine.

Unless you really, *really* want to cross-compile bash I suggest you don't 
bother trying.

p.

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: christophe leroy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 16:00:19 +0000

have tried ./configure --target=arm-linux : it is ignored
have tried ./configure --host=arm-linux --build=i486-linux : tells
it builds for arm-linux, but still uses GCC
have tried CC=arm-linux-gcc ./configure --host=arm-linux
--build=i486-linux : It tells he cannot execute ./dummy (he has compiled
it for arm and tries to execute on i486. Silly boy)

christophe