Subject: RE: Problems building an ARM development environment

From: "Chagas, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 21:07:05 -0800

I'm still having some problems building EGCS 1.1.1.  I've [aparently] been
successful building the 'gcc' compiler (~/egcs1.1.1/gcc/make LANGUAGES="c")
with '-Dinhibit_libc'. However, when I go back and run '~/egcs1.1.1/make
cross' to finish building 'egcs' it fails with the following message:

checking for unistd.h... yes
checking whether the C compiler (/home/chagas/egcs/egcs-1.1.1/gcc/xgcc
-B/home/chagas/egcs/egcs-1.1.1/gcc/ -g ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
create executables.
make[1]:Leaving directory '/home/chagas/egcs/egcs-1.1.1'
make: *** [cross] Error 2

What can I do to fix this problem?

Thanks,

Jason
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 09:34:40 +0100

>cross' to finish building 'egcs' it fails with the following message:

You can't build the rest of EGCS until you've installed a target C library.  
Everything aside from the C compiler itself depends on this.

>What can I do to fix this problem?

You have to do something along the lines of:

 - `make LANGUAGES="c" install' in the gcc directory to install the compiler 
    proper
 - get the glibc sources from sourceware.cygnus.com:/pub/libc, configure, 
   build and install them.

and then you should find that you can actually compile C programs to 
executables.

p.