Subject: How do I mount a CD?

From: David Ramsden <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 11:20:22 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

Erm, I am _new_ to Linux and have just installed it. I got a copy of
StarOffice 5.0 and some other Linux software on CD-ROM and wanted to know how
to mount the CD so that I can access the data on it.

I have tried mount -t adfs /dev/hdb cdfs to mount it but it says that it
can't mount it for some reason (read only FS if I recall).

Can anyone help me?

Thanks and regards,
-- 
|   David Ramsden - [email-masked]
|           _________________________________________
|___ inux  / Running ARMLinux on an Acorn RiscPC 700
__________/ StrongARM (233Mhz) with 64Mb of RAM

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 13:50:05 +0100

>can't mount it for some reason (read only FS if I recall).

It's unlikely that you want to mount the CDROM as ADFS.  Try `-t iso9660'.
If you get a message about `mounting read-only', that's not an error.

p.

---

From: Dave Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 15:16:38 +0000 (GMT)

> can't mount it for some reason (read only FS if I recall).

As has been said the problem there is that the type of CDs is normally
ISO9660.
As an extra tip to make life easier add something like this to your
/etc/fstab:

/dev/hdb           /cdrom    iso9660 noauto,user     0 0

Then all you need to do in future is type

mount /cdrom

Dave

 --------------------------------------------------------------------   
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert      | Running Linux on Alpha(LX) |  Happy  \ 
\   gro.gilbert @ treblig.org |   & ARM(EBSA285,old Arc)   |  In Hex /
 \____________________________|___ http://www.treblig.demon.co.uk __/