Subject: Latest 2.1.132 ARM patch

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 23:01:22 +0000 (GMT)

The latest ARM kernel patch for 2.1.132 is now on the FTP site.

I've dropped out the video capture stuff from that patch - although I have
some working overlay code, I don't believe that the Video4Linux API is
suitable for our video capture hardware which we have on the Netwinder.
If anyone wants to take a closer look at this, let me know, but I'm happy
to watch TV on the background of my fbcon console. ;)

Unfortunately, I've got a real-life job again from tomorrow, so things will
slow down again, and I'm sure it's going to wind me up again. ;(
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: //Stany <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 22:29:45 -0500 (EST)

> The latest ARM kernel patch for 2.1.132 is now on the FTP site.

Seems to have applied OK, except for attempts to delete a few files in 
linux/drivers/sound which were non-existant in my copy of 2.1.132

Will complain if I can not comple it, and still have network connectivity
;-)

//Stany, [email-masked]
-- 
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|         Stanislav N. Vardomskiy - Procurator Odiosus Ex Infernis[TM]        |
|        This message is brought to you by letters jey, ow, el and tee.       |
|              Jolt!  For all the sugar and twice the caffeine.               |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: //Stany <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 00:59:21 -0500 (EST)

> > The latest ARM kernel patch for 2.1.132 is now on the FTP site.

In my case there seems to be a problem with the Makefile referencing
variable ZLINKFLAGS in /usr/src/linux/arch/arc/boot/compressed/Makefile

As a result at the final stage of the compile the compile dies with the
following:

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/arm/boot'
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/arm/boot/compressed'
tmppiggy=_tmp_$$piggy; \
        rm -f $tmppiggy $tmppiggy.gz $tmppiggy.lnk; \
        objcopy -O binary -R .note -R .comment -S /usr/src/linux/vmlinux
$tmppiggy; \
        gzip -f -9 < $tmppiggy > $tmppiggy.gz; \
        echo "SECTIONS { .data : { input_len = .; LONG(input_data_end -
input_data) input_data = .; *(.data) input_data_end = .; }}" >
$tmppiggy.lnk; \
        ld -m elf32arm -r -o piggy.o -b binary $tmppiggy.gz -b elf32-arm
 -T $tmppiggy.lnk; \
        rm -f $tmppiggy $tmppiggy.gz $tmppiggy.lnk;
ld -m elf32arm -Ttext  -o vmlinux head.o misc.o  piggy.o
ld: invalid hex number `-o'
make[2]: *** [vmlinux] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/arm/boot/compressed'
make[1]: *** [compressed/vmlinux] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/arm/boot'
make: *** [zImage] Error 2
root@gargoyle:/usr/src/linux[107]#

I did some greps and it seems to me that the last line might work if
0xC000C000 is added, but I do not have enough guts to find out if the
generated kernel will actually boot the system.   Soon, though ;-)

ld -m elf32arm -Ttext 0xC000C000 -o vmlinux head.o misc.o  piggy.o

Comments?

Oh, and hardware ;-)
NetWinder, board revision 42ff, 32 megs, 3 gigs, NetWinder DM version 2.1
[Build 12],  Kernel 2.0.35 on an armv4l

BTW, if anyone out there has a working .config file for any recent kernel
that boots under NetWinder and detects most of the hardware, I would
gladly appreciate a copy.

//Stany, rather amused by being flamed on bugtraq by a clueless vendor

---

From: Alex Holden <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 11:08:14 +0000 (GMT)

> variable ZLINKFLAGS in /usr/src/linux/arch/arc/boot/compressed/Makefile

Use a target of vmlinux instead of zImage.

> gladly appreciate a copy.

I'll send you mine when I get my 'Winder networked again (hmm, maybe
floppy drives aren't all bad after all ;)

You probably will want to wait until either Russell releases a new fpem
which works with 2.1, or Phil releases a new patch with the nwfpem in it
(unless Russell has integrated the nwfpem into the main kernel this time).
Or, you could just manually hack the nwfpem bits of one of Phil's previous
patches in yourself...

--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 01:03:35 +0100

>The latest ARM kernel patch for 2.1.132 is now on the FTP site.

I've updated my all-in-one kernel patch relative to this version and it's in 
the usual place on netwinder.org.  As ever, check the CHANGES.philb file at 
the top level for full details of what is included.

p.

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 23:11:38 +0000 (GMT)

//Stany writes:
> ...

That particular problem will be fixed for the next patch (2.2-pre4 atm).

> gladly appreciate a copy.

Please find the attached gzip'd and uuencoded config file that I use for
my Netwinder.  It does contain a lot of modules though, but should give
you a good starting point.  Please tailor the CONFIG_CMDLINE option to
your system if you're asking NeTTrom to load the 'Image' kernel.

   _____