Subject: Problems building an ARM development environment

From: "Chagas, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 13:47:16 -0800

I'm having some problems building an ARM development environment and I was
wondering if someone could help me. I'm following the steps listed by Philip
Blundell at http://www.tazenda.demon.co.uk/phil/arm-tools.html
<http://www.tazenda.demon.co.uk/phil/arm-tools.html> .

The installation of  "Binutils" (v2.9.1.0.19a - from
ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/packages/GCC/) went smoothly. However, the
installation of EGCS 1.1.1 (from
ftp://egcs.cygnus.com/pub/egcs/releases/egcs-1.1.1/
<ftp://egcs.cygnus.com/pub/egcs/releases/egcs-1.1.1/> ) fails as follows:

    #./configure -target=arm-linux -prefix=/usr
    Configuring for an i586-pc-linux-gnu-host host
    Created "Makefile" in home/chagas/egcs/egcs.1.1.1 using "mt-frag"
    ./config.status is unchanged
    Configuration arm-unknown-linux-gnu not supported
    Configure in /home/chagas/egcs/egcs.1.1.1/gnu/gcc failed, exiting.
    #

Am I missing something?

I would also like to know if the resulting development environment will
allow me to build the Brutus(SA1100) version of ARM-Linux (downloaded from
http://www.research.digital.com/wrl/itsy/linux/linux-brutus.html
<http://www.research.digital.com/wrl/itsy/linux/linux-brutus.html> ).

Thanks,

Jason
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 09:37:23 +0100

><ftp://egcs.cygnus.com/pub/egcs/releases/egcs-1.1.1/> ) fails as follows:

Yes.  You have to apply a patch to EGCS.  Get it from ftp.netwinder.org:/users/
p/philb.

><http://www.research.digital.com/wrl/itsy/linux/linux-brutus.html> ).

For 2.0 kernels you may be better off with an a.out compiler.

p.

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 18:53:17 +0100

>I tried to build the binutils but failed at start of compiling where
>the comoiler missed 'mode_t'. I think there is something which I didn't

You need to give more details.  It sounds as if you have some basic problem 
with your development environment.

`mode_t' should be defined by <sys/types.h>.

p.

---

From: Thomas Marx <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 19:13:21 +0100

Hi!
I tried to build the binutils but failed at start of compiling where
the comoiler missed 'mode_t'. I think there is something which I didn't
install or didn't place the correct link from somewhere to somewhere
else. Any ideas?

Best regards,
Tom

No RISC, no FUN - - - - - - - - - - - - No PAIN, no GAIN. 
------------------------------------------------------------------
email : [email-masked]
Snail : Thomas Marx, Charlottenstr. 11, 52070 Aachen, Germany
Voice : +49 241 542886
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]