Subject: RE: Problems building an ARM development environment

From: Matt Godbolt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 09:21:24 -0000

This happened to me when following PhilB's instructions :

What happened to me was that I had compiled and installed binutils
with the suggested ./configure linux-arm --prefix=/usr

Unfortunately, as well as installing the linker et al in
/usr/arm-linux/bin, they are also linked as /usr/bin/* - overwriting
the previous linker.

Of course, until you get egcs working, the new linker is no use to
you!  I've now got egcs compiled (glibc is compiling as we speak..) by
reinstalling the old binutils before compiling egcs.  Then, once egcs
was compiled, I went back to the new binutils and 'make install'ed
them.

GLibc seems to be compiling fine with the new kernel headers (barring
running out of swapspace last night, but then this was on a 24Mb RPC
(24Mb swap) running X and about 10 xterms...) - Thanks to PhilB for
pointing me in the right direction!

Matt
- -==-

- -- 
Matt Godbolt - Engine Coder
Red Dog Project, Argonaut Software

- -----Original Message-----
From:	Chagas, Jason [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Thursday, January 28, 1999 5:07 AM
To:	[email-masked]'
Subject:	RE: Problems building an ARM development environment 

I'm still having some problems building EGCS 1.1.1.  I've [aparently]
been
successful building the 'gcc' compiler (~/egcs1.1.1/gcc/make
LANGUAGES="c")
with '-Dinhibit_libc'. However, when I go back and run
'~/egcs1.1.1/make
cross' to finish building 'egcs' it fails with the following message:

checking for unistd.h... yes
checking whether the C compiler (/home/chagas/egcs/egcs-1.1.1/gcc/xgcc
- -B/home/chagas/egcs/egcs-1.1.1/gcc/ -g ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot
create executables.
make[1]:Leaving directory '/home/chagas/egcs/egcs-1.1.1'
make: *** [cross] Error 2

What can I do to fix this problem?

Thanks,

Jason
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to
[email-masked]

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 16:37:21 +0100

>I think that --prefix=/usr is a very bad idea.  There are good reasons 
>why it's not the default and I would hesitate long and hard before
>doing what you described.  Certainly, for that to be recommended
>without a long list of warnings seems wrong.

Yeah.  If it really does say that in my instructions (I'll check) it was a 
thinko on my part.  Possibly I got mixed up between building a native compiler 
and a cross-compiler; for the latter you often *do* want --prefix=/usr (or /
usr/local) but you have to use --target.

p.

---

From: Paul Koning <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 11:00:38 -0500

>>>>> "Matt" == Matt Godbolt <[email-masked]> writes:

 Matt> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1

 Matt> This happened to me when following PhilB's instructions :

 Matt> What happened to me was that I had compiled and installed
 Matt> binutils with the suggested ./configure linux-arm --prefix=/usr

 Matt> Unfortunately, as well as installing the linker et al in
 Matt> /usr/arm-linux/bin, they are also linked as /usr/bin/* -
 Matt> overwriting the previous linker.

	paul