Subject: Release: 2.2.0-final for ARM

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 10:52:15 +0000 (GMT)

Hi all,

With this mail, I welcome linux-7110 to my kernel release mailings.

We seem to be getting many mailing lists for ARM Linux-ish stuff.  I'd
rather not post to all of them, since this will mean that people may be
ending up with duplicates of my release announcements.

If people think that this is a good idea, then I'll see about creating
[email-masked].

Anyway, down to business:

2.2.0-final is now up on the FTP site.  Changes since the last patch:

 - Updated to 2.2.0-final from 2.2.0-pre7.

 - Re-work of NetWinder support to merge it with the EBSA-285/CATS.
   NOTE! the Interrupt and DMA numbers have changed for both these
   ports!  Watch out if you've got your own drivers!
   From now on, this will be referred to as HOST FOOTBRIDGE, but
   will be maintaining the 'ebsa285' file extension.

 - Various ARM problems fixed with memory management changes in 2.2.0-pre8

 - defconfig updated for compiling a Host Footbridge kernel (this is the
   configuration I'm using for my NetWinder and EBSA-285 now).

 - removed drivers/acorn/char/Config.in, and put the stuff in a more
   logical place in the configure scripts.

 - head-armv.S will relocate the kernel on NetWinder to 0xc0008000 to
   maintain compatability with EBSA-285.

 - StrongARM CPU 'wait for interrupt' instruction now used.
    [last minute note: this could well break non-StrongARM processors;
     I already have a fix].

 - vfork support added (but then they took it out from the Intel version).
   NOTE! Don't rely on this; I'm leaving it alone until the situation
   settles out, when it could well change.  DO NOT take the use of
   syscall 190 as an allocation.

 - PCI memory is now protected against USER accesses on Host Footbridge.
   (Flash is NOT protected yet; hopefully will be fixed this weekend).

 - init section moved to start of kernel image (means that more code
   in head-armv can be thrown away).

 - timer interrupt stuff re-worked to allow for timer ticks from
   timer selected on boot.

 - old unused asm-arm header files cleaned out.

 - tcltk xconfig 'string' option stuff fixed.

 - forgotten again to update ARM-README.

If all goes well, I'm hoping to get 2.2.0 (the real McCoy) out within the
same 24 hour window from the point when it appears. (subject to availability
of ftp.kernel.org mirrors as usual).
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 18:09:47 +0100

>   syscall 190 as an allocation.

As I mentioned before, the syscall is not necessary on the ARM.  I think Intel 
and m68k are the only platforms where it's really necessary.  Alpha has it 
because they inherited their syscall numbers from OSF and sys_vfork is 
included.  The only reason we might want it on the ARM is for BSD binaries 
and the code can live in iBCS for that case.

p.