Subject: Re: Problems building an ARM development environment

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 15:27:12 +0100

>Thanks for your prompt reply. However, I ran into trouble when trying to
>apply the ARM patch. These were the errors returned:
>
>#./egcs-1.1.1-arm-diff-990113

The diff isn't a shell script; you need to feed it into `patch' rather than 
directly executing it.  Try something like:

$ patch -E < egcs-1.1.1-arm-diff-990113

>1)	Do you know of any Linux Kernel version (later than V2.0) that runs
>well with Brutus?

Hugo and Nico are working on a port of 2.2 at the moment.  I don't think it's 
quite as stable as 2.0 yet so I'd recommend you hold off for a little.

>2)	Can I get an ARM-Linux kernel built with the 'a.out' libs run
>applications built with the ELF libs?

Yes.  It makes no difference how the kernel itself was compiled.

p.

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: "Chagas, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 07:15:53 -0800

Phil,

#./egcs-1.1.1-arm-diff-990113
./egcs-1.1.1-arm-diff-990113: ---: command not found
./egcs-1.1.1-arm-diff-990113: +++: command not found
./egcs-1.1.1-arm-diff-990113: @@: command not found
./egcs-1.1.1-arm-diff-990113: syntax error near unexpected token
'<[email-masked]>'
./egcs-1.1.1-arm-diff-990113: ./egcs-1.1.1-arm-diff-990113: line 5:
'+1999-01-07 Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>'
#

I tried executing 'egcs-1.1.1-arm-diff-990113' both from the 'egcs-1.1.1'
subdirectory (where the EGCS code is located) and the directory it was
branched from... I got the same errors on both instances. What is the
appropriate method for applying the ARM patch??

Regarding ARM-Linux running on Brutus:

Thanks,

Jason

	----------
	From:  Philip Blundell [SMTP:[email-masked]]
	Sent:  Friday, January 22, 1999 3:37 AM
	To:  Chagas, Jason
	Cc:  [email-masked]'
	Subject:  Re: Problems building an ARM development environment 

	>installation of EGCS 1.1.1 (from
	>ftp://egcs.cygnus.com/pub/egcs/releases/egcs-1.1.1/
	><ftp://egcs.cygnus.com/pub/egcs/releases/egcs-1.1.1/> ) fails as
follows:
	>Am I missing something?

	Yes.  You have to apply a patch to EGCS.  Get it from
ftp.netwinder.org:/users/
	p/philb.

	>I would also like to know if the resulting development environment
will
	>allow me to build the Brutus(SA1100) version of ARM-Linux
(downloaded from
	>http://www.research.digital.com/wrl/itsy/linux/linux-brutus.html
	><http://www.research.digital.com/wrl/itsy/linux/linux-brutus.html>
).

	For 2.0 kernels you may be better off with an a.out compiler.

	p.

	unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to
[email-masked]
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 18:15:39 +0100

Use the patch program.  In the egcs-1.1.1 directory, use
patch -p1 < filename

-- 
Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
"I decry the current tendency to seek patents on algorithms.  There are
better ways to earn a living than to prevent other people from making use of
one's contributions to computer science."  -- Donald E. Knuth, TAoCP vol 3