Subject: Floating point support

From: Mark van Doesburg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 14:34:54 +0100

When i tried to use a program which used some floating point operations
this program failed to run. It turns out i need the floating point
emulator. This emulator seems to be only available as a pre-compiled
module, it would be a lot of work for me to get this working.  (I don't
have a complete working system yet)

So i tried using -msoft-float with egcs. This complained about undefined
references. I obviously need some library with floating point support to
use -msoft-float. Is such a library available ?

greetings,

Mark.
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 15:37:17 +0100

>use -msoft-float. Is such a library available ?

If you apply the kernel patch I mentioned here a few days ago you can build 
floating point emulation into the kernel.  Otherwise there is a link to an old 
version of libfloat on my web page; I keep meaning to make a newer one 
including Scott's changes but I haven't had time yet.

p.

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 18:39:16 +0000 (GMT)

Mark van Doesburg writes:
> module, it would be a lot of work for me to get this working.

I believe that finally the binutils, modutils, gcc and kernel are all
sufficiently advanced in their development to allow me to release a new
version of the Acorn FPE.

The main problem preventing me from releasing it is that my tools generate
an incompatable (but never the less correct) ELF object files that the
present module utilities would not be able to load.  Until the advent of
.132, there was a chicken and egg situation where the modutils required
the FPE to be loaded to load the FPE.

This situation has now been remidied, so expect a new module soon.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 02:25:33 +0100

>version of the Acorn FPE.

What are your intentions with regard to the Acorn FPE and 26-bit machines, by 
the way?  (I ask because I'm wondering what to do about NWFPE on these 
systems; at the moment it doesn't look like it'll work because entry-armo.S 
still uses an old-style calling sequence for the emulator.)

p.