Subject: Re: Net+Arm: estimated work/project?

From: Mitch Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 16:38:24 +1100

Ormund Williams wrote:
> 
> I had considered that chip for a project but needed an LCD
> controller more than I needed the Ethernet MAC so I went with
> the LH77790 from Sharp.

You too, huh?

> The 77790 also uses the ARM7 core so a port to either should
> work on both chips.

One reason I've ruled it out, even though it's such a fine chip,
is that the 77790 MMU does not have anywhere near the MMU
abilities I need for Linux.

For example, doing execute-in-place requires either some extremely
tricky run-time relinking, or some sort of mechanism to map
logical addresses to physical addresses.  The granularity of this
should be a page of some size between 256 and 4K bytes, which
implies being able to have an unlimited number of pages.

There are only 8 pages in the LH77790, and I can't see a way to use
this ability to advantage.

I'm hoping its more powerful brother, the LH79402, will have this
ability.

Now, if only there were a chip with an ARM7 core, preferably TDMI,
an LCD controller, and some A/D/A.  4Mbps (like the 79402) would
be nice as well.

Does anyone know of such a chip?

Regards,

Mitch.
--
| mailto:[email-masked]       | Not the official view of: |
| mailto:[email-masked] | Australian Calculator Opn |
| Certified Linux Evangelist! | Hewlett Packard Australia |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Hugo Fiennes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 10:50:07 +0000 (GMT)

> an LCD controller, and some A/D/A.  4Mbps (like the 79402) would

The ARM7100 (cirrus 7110) has the ARM7 core, 8k cache, LCD controller,
and a microwire interface. It's the chip in the Psion 5: I've used it quite
a bit in network situations (practically glueless interface to an ethernet
controller, glueless 8-bit-rom, glueless 72-pin SIMM). It can be run at
5v as the process allows this, although the datasheet doesn't specifically
guarantee this :)   It's locked at 18.432Mhz though.

http://www.dcs.warwick.ac.uk/~altman/camera/

Is my board running linux & a network camera. I did a very quick & dirty
port of linux to it, although others (the Psion Linux team) are doing
a much more ordered one :)

Hugo

-- 
Disclaimer: "The contents of this albatross were measured by weight, not
volume. Contents may have settled during transit."