Subject: X11 on ARM Linux crash

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 00:01:12 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

Someone mailed me (as I can't find the email here, I can only assume that
they used my work address, which ain't a good idea) about an X11 crash
which can be caused by manipulating windows larger than the screen.

I have been able to reproduce this problem here (every time), and it's
looking to me like a generic X11R6 bug.

The X server is trying to access an area just before screen memory, which
doesn't exist.  Unfortunately, the X server doesn't seem to trap/handle
correctly the invalid drawable with coordinates: x=6, y=-1000 (x=0,y=0
being top-left, and increasing +vely to bottom right).

The short answer to this problem would be to recompile a later version of
X (with intl support for those who need it), but this will take some time
to sort out the sources to allow it to be compiled.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
 --------------------- Email-relevent MINI FAQ ----------------------
 Installer keys   : ALT-F1 installer, ALT-F2 shell, ALT-F3 installer
                    messages, ALT-F4 kernel messages
 Ether3/B problems: try latest 2.0.34 kernel and root disk.
 --------------------------------------------------------------------

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Richard Atterer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 22:38:25 +0100

In article <[email-masked]>
    Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Someone mailed me (as I can't find the email here, I can only assume
> that they used my work address, which ain't a good idea) about an X11
> crash which can be caused by manipulating windows larger than the
> screen. [...]

That was me, but I did send it to <[email-masked]>. I
wonder why it hasn't appeared on the list. It's good news that the
problem is reproducible!

> The short answer to this problem would be to recompile a later version
> of X (with intl support for those who need it), but this will take
> some time to sort out the sources to allow it to be compiled.

This would be very, *very* much appreciated! For me, X aborts every few
days right in the middle of a session, which can be very annoying. Also,
proper int'l keyboard support would be fantastic!

Unfortunately, I'm quite new to Linux, so I can't offer you my help. :|

Cheers,

  Richard

(BTW: Did you get the "German keyboard FAQ" I mailed to
<[email-masked]>?)
-- 
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer
  | \/¯|  http://www.in.tum.de/~atterer/                      raFS V1.15
  ¯ ´` ¯
PGP key fingerprint: C5 59 22 97 80 12 34 C6  6E CE 27 32 2A 44 2C 4A
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Hiroshi Ishii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 16:46:56 +0900

Hi,

 I have some questions about X ( a.out ),  me too.

When open X , show message ;

Screen: 848 by 472 pixels, 256 color

Is it a default window size and color? Is there way to
change window size and color?
And, Where is it's source?

Thanks,

--------------------------------------
ôôFunai Electric Engineering Co.,LTDôô
                                     -Hiroshi Ishii
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: John Lindley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 14:29:43 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Hiroshi Ishii wrote:

{Snip}

> And, Where is it's source?

I think i got the source from www.x.org, or rather it's mirror at
suniste.doc.ic.ac.uk

+---------------------------------+--------------------------------+
| www : www.BITS.bris.ac.uk/~john |  emo : [email-masked]	   |
+---------------------------------+--------------------------------+
|     ...Doh said Pooh, suffering from an identity crisis          |
+------------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: Hiroshi Ishii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 18:06:45 +0900

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999 14:29:43 +0000 (GMT)

> I think i got the source from www.x.org, or rather it's mirror at

 Thanks. But I want to get source changing for armlinux.
May be someone (RMK?) must be hacked it. 
Because I want to change window-size and color depth.

--------------------------------------
♪♪Funai Electric Engineering Co.,LTD♪♪
                                     -Hiroshi Ishii
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]