Subject: Misc X problems (keymaps, input focus, compiling)

From: Theo Markettos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 21:20:36 +0000 (GMT)

I've successfully installed and set up the current Risc PC ARMLinux
distribution, and most things seem to be working happily.  There are a few
little X related things that seem to be broken, which I don't know how to
fix:

Firstly, the keymaps in X seem to be wrong if X is started on booting via
settings in inittab.  In particular, both delete and backspace act as
Ctrl-C, which makes command editing a little tricky.  Quite a few symbols
are in the wrong place, and I can't get an @ up at all.  This happens
irrespective of which user is doing it, although all the user's config
files would have come from the same source.  Running X by booting as
multiuser and running startx has the (AFAICT) correct keymaps - editing is
possible.  I suspect it needs a config change somewhere - can anyone say
where, and to what? 

Also, AFAIK unrelated, is a problem where some windows which have text
input icons refuse to take the input focus, so it's impossible to type to
them.  I first noticed this with pcb, and thought it was a problem with
that, but it also appears in the standard xfm, in the File Manager
Folder->Go To dialogue.  Under either fvwm or fvwm2 they steadfastly
refuse to be selected, keeping a grey title bar even clicking the mouse
all over them, and so this box can't be used. Icon clicks are accepted,
and only a few specific windows (all dialogue IIRC) seem to suffer from
this.

On a related note, is there any way (as root of course) of killing X when
it has been booted into?  Killing the window manager or miscellaneous X
tasks seem to just cause it to go back to the X login screen, as if I'd
logged out.

Finally, are there any graphical WWW browsers for ARMLinux about?  I know
the problems with Netscape, but has anyone compiled Arena or Mosaic for
a.out?  Failing that, has anyone compiled Lesstif?  I've tried and failed 
- it doesn't like arm610-unknown-linuxaout as a machine type - has anyone
got ARMLinux-aware config.guess and config.set files?.  I would poke
around the source RPMs, but I need to figure out how to use rpm first.  Is
the graphical package management tool so tantalisingly put on
control-panel actually available for ARMLinux?

Thanks,
Theo

-- 
Theo Markettos                      [email-masked]
Gonville & Caius College            [email-masked]
Cambridge, UK

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]