Subject: Re: Development Glibcs

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 18:19:31 +0100

Alex Holden wrote:

>Having just managed to trash my NetWinder by installing glibc-2.0.111
>(yes, I did use --disable-versioning), I was wondering what the latest
>version anyone else had got working yet was. Is it worth upgrading to a
>versioned library just yet? Does RedHat RawHide use versioning? Where is
>the glibc development mailing list?

The current code in CVS should be OK and so should the 2.0.112 snapshot when 
it's released.  Unfortunately 2.0.111 had a few foul-ups, notably with clone 
and vfork, that cause fairly major lossage.

You can subscribe to [email-masked] if you're interested in discussion of 
the alpha-test versions.  Mail me privately if you want to get on the actual 
development list.

Upgrading to a versioned library is an all or nothing thing.  You may have to 
recompile every binary and library on your system.  If you want to do this 
then you're probably better off using something like Rod's "Titan" 
distribution which uses versioning already to get you going.

p.

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Alex Holden <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 17:57:51 +0000 (GMT)

What's the situation with Glibc-2.0.11* on ARM-Linux?

Thanks a lot, Alex.

--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :

---

From: Alex Holden <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 19:50:22 +0000 (GMT)

> and vfork, that cause fairly major lossage.

I see, I've been having some problems with it on Intel as well, but I'm
not sure whether it's something I've done wrong or not- vsprintf() doesn't
seem to cause segfaults when compiled against the new library, but not if
they were compiled against an older library. This means things like the
"build" program which generates zImage doesn't work unless you hack it to
remove all references to vsprintf. Is that a known bug in that release?

> distribution which uses versioning already to get you going.

That's what I was thinking of doing- I was just wondering though whether
Rod's distro or RawHide are a better bet as a starting point (_is_ RawHide
versioned for that matter?).

---

From: Rod Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 16:13:13 -0500 (EST)

> versioned for that matter?).

Yes, RawHide is versioned.  My distro is pretty similar to RawHide, with a
few extras, and some things that are not in RawHide yet.  As well
Titan III, which should be released this weekend will be linked
agains the most recent version of glibc.  (i.e. a kernel for ARM).

I'll post some more on Titan in a bit (either tonight, or tomorrow).  I
still have to decide wether to upgrade glibc, once again.  Currently I'm
using glibc-2.0.111-0.990127, but I think I will upgrade to current cvs
tonight or tomorrow morning.  The only thing is I want everything linked 
against the current version, and it takes:
	glibc 3 hours
	egcs 3 hours
	binutils 45 mins
	rpm 30-45 mins
	perl 30-45 mins
	X 4 hours
to build the base apps.  Then I can start using multiple machines to
build.

-Rms
Titan is available at the following, most/all packages will be relinked
this weekend:

Please use a mirror, as Carleton's bandwidth is very bad during the day
        ftp.highrise.ca:/pub/winder          (mirror, updated nightly)
        ftp.geekhaus.ml.org:/pub/netwinder   (mirror, updated nightly)

        ftp.nw.carleton.ca:/pub/winder       (primary site, bad bandwidth)