Subject: Can't get running from a Powertec SCSI disk!

From: Richard Barber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 21:54:39 +0000 (GMT)

Hi, I'm having a problem getting armlinux running on a
RPC700 with StrongArm(200MHz), I've got the following
disks:

IDE: 800MB ADFS
SCSI: 4GB disk - PowerTec Fast SCSI II card
+CD ROM, Floppy and Parallel Port Disk Drive.
i3 EtherH 600 card

I initially had some problems with partman, but eventually got round
them by using the !PowerMgr software for the SCSI card to create 2 empty
partitions, which I then designated as Linux Native (1761MB)  and Swap
(127MB), these were at the end of the drive.

I ran the installer, it was able to recognize the SCSI card, the Network
card and the PPA Zip drive (all on autoprobe) and I was able to specify
/dev/sda4 as root partition and /dev/sda5 as swap. Installing from the
Zip disk (/dev/sdb?, something) it seemed to successfully install....

At the end of the installation, the installer complained of not being
able to find 'kernel' or 'kernel-modules', nothing odd there - (FAQ Q6)
however when attempting to reboot using the kernel from a DOS floppy,
I entered:

root=/dev/sda4

as my root partition, the kernel proceded to try and boot, giving the
following messages:

Uncompressing Linux...done
Now booting the kernal
Console: colour A-series 100x75x256, 1 virtual console (max 63)
Installed expansion cards:
  0: [005B:0107] AlSystems PowerTec SCSI
  2: [001F:00E6] 24i16 Video/Audio Digitiser (+1MB) - Irlam Instruments Ltd
  8: [0046:00EC] i-cubed ltd, EtherLan 600Lk Interface (00:c0:32:00:87:FB)
Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 190.46 BogoMIPS
Memory: 39156k/40960k available (860k kernel code, 36k reserved, 988k data)
Swansea University Computer Society NET3.035 for Linux 2.0
NET3: Unix domain sockets 0.13 for Linux NET3.035.
Swansea University Computer Society TCP/IP for NET3.034
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP
Linux version 2.0.35 (src@raistlin) (gcc version 2.7.2.2) #3 Mon Aug 31 19:05:35 BST 1998
Starting kswapd v 1.4.2.2
Keyboard driver v1.00
Serial driver version 4.3 with no serial options enabled
tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 10) is a 16550A
Ramdisk driver initialized : 16 ramdisks of 4096K size
hda: Conner Peripherals 850MB - CFS850A, 812MB w/645kB Cache, CHS=1651/16/63
hdb: HITACHI CDR-7730, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 9
floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M fd1 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total.
Partition check:
 hda:[ADFS] hda1
VFS: Cannot open root device 08:04
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:04

I take this to mean that it didn't recognize my SCSI card. Should it
have done or am I just being generally thick?

Anyway, I've not been able to get around the problem or install the
bootloader - any suggestions?

Also, I can't get !LinuxConf to recognize the SCSI partition, for any
value of *SCSIFS::X.X that I can see (I'd guessed 4.0) it won't
recognize the SCSI partition. Is this what the bootloader's for, or is
this another problem?!

Many Thanks
Richard

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]