Subject: Re: Net+Arm: estimated work/project?

From: Ormund Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 05:18:50 +0000

Scott Smyth wrote:
> 
> I was wondering if there was any leads for the Net+Arm chip
> announced at http://www.netarm.com/ or any plans to do a linux
> port to such a chip.
> 
> thanks,
> Scott

This chip has no MMU so you could not use the linux port 
that is discussed on this list.  Also the company, Net Silicon, 
is reluctant to support any OS other than pSOS from Integrated 
Systems Inc.  Check out their website at:   

    http://www.netsilicon.com

Data sheets
    http://www.netsilicon.com/pub/html/register1.html

FAQ
    http://www.netsilicon.com/pub/html/netarm_f.htm

I had considered that chip for a project but needed an LCD 
controller more than I needed the Ethernet MAC so I went with 
the LH77790 from Sharp.  The 77790 also uses the ARM7 core so a 
port to either should work on both chips.  I have been lurking 
on this list and on the uC-Linux list until I finish my hardware 
design so I could learn as much as possible about porting Linux.  

The uC-Linux project is a port of Linux to processors without 
an MMU, like the chip in the Palm Pilot.  Their is also a 
discusson about developing a GUI for shuch low memory devices, 
which would be great for me.  

The uC-Linux web site:
    http://ryeham.ee.ryerson.ca/uClinux

What were your plans for the Net+Arm chip?

--
Ormund
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]