Subject: Re: Installing ARMLinux on SCSI Drives

From: Chris Nelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 19:22:18 +0000

Dear All,

As a follow up to my previous post (the only one so far <sob>), I've decided
that it simply isn't possible to install Linux with a root partition on a
Powertek SCSI II drive.  At least, not with the existing default kernel/
Linux Loader.  I'd like some confirmation of this is anyone else has tried 
it.

The problem seems to be when exactly the SCSI support is available.  As far
as I can tell, this only occurs after the kernel modules are loaded, which 
presumably is after the root partition has already been mounted.  In which 
case, its fairly obvious that you can't have a root partition on a SCSI 
device. 

The only possibility that presents itself, is to compile a kernel with built 
in SCSI support (I'm using the powertek module at present, loaded by 
rc.sysinit during the boot process), and keep this new built kernel on the 
Filecore partition, then using the appropriate configuration for the !Linux 
application, it may be possible to mount a SCSI partition as root. Does
anyone have any idea if this would work? (I am trying it, but am having
kernel compilation problems at present).

I have, however, succesfully installed Linux using the SCSI drive for two 
ext2 partitions (/usr and /var) and the swap device, used in conjunction 
with a small root partition on my tiny IDEFS drive.  If anyone is interested 
in trying this, I would be happy to share the experience :-)

Cheers

Chris

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 10:22:05 +0100

>anyone have any idea if this would work? (I am trying it, but am having

It should be OK, yes.

p.

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 20:42:14 +0000 (GMT)

> >anyone have any idea if this would work? (I am trying it, but am having

I do have an install CD image sitting on my machines here at home just waiting
to be burnt onto CD ROMs, however I have heard no stories of success or failure
from the guy who's supposed to be testing it as yet (and that as a week or more
ago).

Come on guys, I'm not going to do /all/ the work.  I'll happily write CDs and
take money for them once I know that the CD works, but I refuse to accept any
requests for the CD if it isn't tested as working.  (and this has my bug bear
about the Acorn community for a good couple of years now - present company (Phil)
accepted though).
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]