Subject: Running Linux on an ebsa-285

From: Jonathan Foster Kliegman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 19:00:37 -0500 (EST)

I've been trying to get linux up and running on an ebsa-285 board.  I've
downloaded the kernel and compiled it but can't get it to run.  I've got
the ebsa-285 board sitting on a desk, no PCI bus present and am
downloading the kernel to it using armsd over the serial port.  It has
Angel v1.04 running.  The kernel image I'm copying to the board is
vmlinux converted into binary format (using objcopy) and dumper into
memory at 0x8000.  When I just start the kernel at that address (setting
the PSR to supervisor mode, interrupts off, setting R0=0 and R1=4), all
that happens is the yellow/amber light turns off so I'm left with the
Red and Green lights (the two furthest from the PCI fingers) turned on.

Is there a better/easier way to do this or am I missing one step?  From
looking through the kernel source, it looks like the amber light should
be blinking on and off as a result of timer interrupts and I should have
text being dumped out the serial port.

As a possible cause of the problems, I had two erros during the kernel
compilation but they appeared minor.

The first was in fs/partitions/check.c where the compiler was generating
assembly code where the constant pool was out of range.  This was fixed
by taking the two string constants causing problems and making them
global variables.

The other problem occurred in arch/arm/drivers/char/serial_21285.c
I'm given an error that for the variable 'current' (task structure),
'timeout' is not a member.  The timeout field is used to set a timeout
on busy waits it appears.  I fixed this problem by using the code found
in drivers/char/serial.c where instead of setting current->timeout =
jiffies+x, I instead call schedule_timeout(x).  

Any help would be appreciated - thanks in advance...

-Jon 
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]