Subject: about kernel source

From: Kir Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 11:57:33 +0800

Hi!!  Everybody

   I have a question and need someone's help!!
   I want to study the kernel source of ARM Linux.
   But I don't have RISC OS platform, what I use is EBSA110.
   So how should I do to get the complete kernel source code??
   Is it necessary to install the arm linux on some platform to
   get the kernel source code??
   The individual souce code packages I found under this site:
   ftp://ftp.arm.linux.org.uk/pub/armlinux/kernel-sources/
   are all patches !!
   I do not know is it ok to use these patches without any complete
   kernel source code.

   Could any body give me any suggestions??

   Thanks in advance!!

kirk

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 19:25:47 +0100

>   ftp://ftp.arm.linux.org.uk/pub/armlinux/kernel-sources/

The patches are against the kernel source tarballs that Linus puts out.  Get 
the appropriate one from ftp.kernel.org.

p.

---

From: Dave Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 19:02:07 +0000 (GMT)

>    I have a question and need someone's help!!

Sure.

>    ftp://ftp.arm.linux.org.uk/pub/armlinux/kernel-sources/

They are all patches against the standard Linux kernel source; so get
the standard kernel source off ftp.kernel.org in /pub/linux/kernel
and then apply the patches to them.

Dave

 --------------------------------------------------------------------   
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert      | Running Linux on Alpha(LX) |  Happy  \ 
\   gro.gilbert @ treblig.org |   & ARM(EBSA285,old Arc)   |  In Hex /
 \____________________________|___ http://www.treblig.demon.co.uk __/

---

From: Alex Holden <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 20:25:30 +0000 (GMT)

>    ftp://ftp.arm.linux.org.uk/pub/armlinux/kernel-sources/

Get the basic kernel you're interested in from ftp.kernel.org, then apply
the relevant patch from ftp.arm.linux.org.uk to make it an armlinux tree.

--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :

---

From: Peter Teichmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 21:38:52 +0000

Hi,

>    I do not know is it ok to use these patches without any complete

You get the kernelsources from
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v?.?/linux-?.?.*.tar.gz
Somewhere in the patches must be stated which source to take, perhaps 2.0.36

-- 
Peter Teichmann

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Email: [email-masked]  WWW: rcswww.urz.tu-dresden.de/~teich-p

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 00:19:41 +0000 (GMT)

>    I do not know is it ok to use these patches without any complete

You need a copy of Linus' kernel source, and one of my patches.  You will
also need a unix/Linux platform to untar Linus' sources onto and apply
my patch.  Please read the kernel README about applying the patch if you're
uncertain how to do this.

Also, please note that Linus' source and my patch should refer to the same
version, eg Linus' 2.1.131 and my pre-patch-2.1.131-*.gz patch should be
used together.

Enjoy!
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Mat Nicholls <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 11:34:34 +0000

> Somewhere in the patches must be stated which source to take, perhaps 2.0.36

Or, if that's full, there's a mirror somewhere on sunsite.

-- 
 __  __      _           
|  \/  |__ _| |_    [email-masked]
| |\/| / _` |  _|   www.altern.org/dhcomet/
|_|  |_\__,_|\__|   ICQ UIN : 15479212

Science is to computer science as hydronamics is to plumbing
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]