Subject: Re: Kernel location on installation

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 21:07:14 +0000 (GMT)

[email-masked] writes:
> 1. When I install RedHat and get the Kernel not found error, where is 
> the setup program looking for the kernel, so that I can put it in the 
> right place and finish the installation properly

The install program is actually looking for the presence of a package.
If you supply the package to the program when it gets to that point,
it won't see it (it needs to be there when it scans the packages first
time round).

I do have a CD which has a complete (and I think) working distribution
on, but I'm currently waiting on Paul to let me know if it works or not.

> 2.  This is possibly linked in the previous question but where do I 
> put the kernel that I heve compiled for the computer to boot the new 
> kernel as oppose to the old one.

I keep mine in /boot on the root filesystem.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]