Subject: Acorn Southwest Show

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 09:25:00 +0000

Hiya.

Some may remember that I organised a stand at the Acorn South-East show
around summer-time.  Well, John Stonier (the organiser of that, and other
shows) has detected some interest in linux-arm among Acorners, and has
asked if I want to put on a stand at the South-West show.

Due to lack of time, and lack of computers, I won't be able to provide
much hardware/software content for a show, so if anyone who has hardware,
and will travel, would like to come along and do a show, please get in
contact.

I have also heard people muttering about porting linux-arm to the (acorn-
style) NC.  Has anyone actually managed this?

Cheers,
Phil

John Stonier's email follows:

 Hi,

I'm currently organising the Acorn Southwest Show, which is taking place on
Saturday 20th February 1999 at The Webbington Hotel, Loxton, North Somerset. 
Just off the M5.

I believe I did send you an info pack recently, so am following this up to find
out whether you're interested in attending or not.  There would be no charge if
you wanted to take part.  As I have received a lot of interest from people
about using Linux, your presence would be greatly appreciated.

The stands are rapidly filling up, so if you intend to come, you need to
contact me asap.  My phone number is: (01707) 390410.

More information about the show can be found at:
http://www.argonet.co.uk/acornshow

Regards, John Stonier....

-- 
_____________________________                ______________________________
\  Saturday 28th November __/|______________|\__  [email-masked] /
 >      Birmingham       |                      | Phone: (01707) 390410  <
/________________________| ACORN MIDLANDS SHOW  |_________________________\
                         |______________________|
                        www.argonet.co.uk/acornshow

----- End forwarded message -----

-- 
-- 
Rule of programming #1: Everything that can go wrong will go wrong,
        except when you're running the debugger.

[email-masked]               http://newton.ex.ac.uk/general/ug/norman
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:34:50 +0100

>style) NC.  Has anyone actually managed this?

I suspect the NC is just an Archimedes with some extra bits bolted on so it 
shouldn't be all that hard.

p.

---

From: Andy Loukes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 16:20:34 +0000 (GMT)

> shouldn't be all that hard.

I spent about 30mins trying to port NetBSD to the NC about the main
stumbling block was the the the podulebus works. It didn't recognise the
ethernet card. I spent some of the time altering the code that checks for
podules but couldn't get it to work and gave up. Haven't had time to go
back to it.

The kernel booted ok up to the filesystem mounting though.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge of podules and the EtherN (I think
that's what it is, unique to the NC) will be able to get it to work. 

They are almost identical to the A7000+

-- 
Andy Loukes

Internet Business Development                 http://www.argogroup.com
Argo Interactive                              tel:+44 (0)1243 815 815
7 Dukes Court, Chichester, PO19 2FX           fax:+44 (0)1243 815 805