Subject: Re: Compiling egcs... help.

From: [email-masked] (James J. Farmer)
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 12:28:09 GMT

In a message sent at Sun, 29 Nov 1998 11:58:09 +0100,
     Philip Blundell ([email-masked]) said:

> I suspect what happened is that libtool picked up the ELF version of ar rather 
> than the a.out one that you still need at this stage.  Look through the `make' 
> output and check if this is the case; if it is, you may need to hack 
> config.make or something to make it use the right one.
>
> If you're still stuck then I guess you need to look at the offending library 
> and see if you can work out what's wrong with it (things like "is it zero 
> length" would be a good starting point...)

I'd like to thank everyone for trying to help me to get this working.  I
did manage to get binutils to recompile by doing a
"cp -r /usr/arm-unknownlinuxaout/* /usr/", and even egcs compiled...  but
glibc wouldn't.  (The configure script wouldn't even work!)  I eventually
got fed up and decided to start again...  binutils compiled, egcs wouldn't
compile.  Then egcs started giving me different error messages every time
I tried to compile it.  Then even the configure script for binutils wouldn't
work;

This is just too hard for me; I think I'm going to delete my Arm Linux
partition and maybe try to get Linux running on the PC card if it's ever
supported.

But I would just like to say one final thank-you to everyone who tried
to help me, and to the people who develop ARM Linux for doing such a
cracking job.

Thanks.

JJF.
--
*****************************************************************************
*                        Tim Astley's Ultra Cricket                         *
*               http://diana.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~ta/uc_home.html               *
*                             The Real Game                                 *
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Chris Sawer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 17:23:45 +0000

> I'd like to thank everyone for trying to help me to get this working.

I'd like to second that - everyone on the list has been a great help to
me as well when I've asked about various things, especially Russell and
Phil.

> I did manage to get binutils to recompile by doing a
> glibc wouldn't.

<snip>

I managed to get glibc working in the end and made a few elf binaries -
what I didn't realize was that to make X elf binaries (the main reason I
wanted to convert to elf) you need to recompile the X libraries. Care to
guess at the size of the XFree86 source?

I've now switched to using x86 Linux on a Pentium for the time being as
my main computer now so I'm not too worried about persuing the above.

> partition and maybe try to get Linux running on the PC card if it's ever

Linux doesn't exactly whizz along on my "real" PC (a P120) so I'd think
it would be appallingly slow on a PC card, even with one of the quick
Pentiums.

I think that when the Debian group finally get their ARM distribution
out with full elf support precompiled, then ArmLinux would begin to look
interesting from a user's point of view. Until then, most of the big
apps are just out of our reach.

> to help me, and to the people who develop ARM Linux for doing such a

Absolutely

Chris

-- 
     Chris Sawer - Worthing, Sussex, England    ICQ: 15010147
E-Mail: [email-masked]    PGP public key available on request