Subject: RedHat = ARMLinux?

From: Ross Tierney <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 13:12:22 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,
   I'm curious about some details I can't seem to track down.

   RedHat commited to doing a 5.1 (etc) distribution for the SA (for
Corel's NetWinder primarily). However I havn't found any information
to say that it's based on the ARMLinux developments here. Am I right
in saying that they're forking/duplicating development or are they
related and co-operating projects?

   'Twould seem a shame not to use that which already exists - and a
great waste of resource for RedHat. Anybody able to clear the murk?

Cheers,

Ross.

PS - Merry Xmas and a most happy New Year to you all for 1999.

-- 
                   Linux = NT's Ultimate Service Pack (*)
                                         Christmas Present (*)

* = Delete as applicable

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Scott Bambrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 10:21:57 -0500

Ross Tierney wrote:

> Corel's NetWinder primarily). 

RedHat will not be doing a 5.1 ARM Linux distribution.  Look for NetWinder
support in 6.0.  There is no release date for this ATM.  Early glimpses should
be available on Redhat's RawHide site.

> However I havn't found any information to say that it's based on
> the ARMLinux developments here. Am I right in saying that they're 
> forking/duplicating development or are they related and 
> co-operating projects?

They are separate projects.  I think Russell's distibution is a little old for
them to work with.  It is based on an a.out system, while the newest RedHat
distributions are all ELF based.  They do know about the site, and
netwinder.org, however they tend to be working from the 5.2 base.

> great waste of resource for RedHat. Anybody able to clear the murk?

Merry Christmas,

Scott Bambrough
CCC