Subject: Compiling egcs, binutils, and source 2.1.126 .. HELP again

From: John Ballance <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 01:18:10

Hi folks

Philip Blundell said.. see the faq for the tools to compile the source
tree..
the arm linux faq said use binutils-2.9.1.0.15 and egcs-1.1.. get patches
from vger...

SO.. I got the binutils-2.9.1 tar gz from gnu.org, and the patches .14
and .15
from the vger site
I also got egcs-1.1 (C-only) from the sunsite mirror of the egcs site,
and patches 1.1b
from the vger site

NEITHER WOULD COMPILE...
1. binutils:  applying either patch complains about missing changelog
files,
and also about missing aoutarm32.c and elf32-arm.c files.. IS THIS
CORRECT?

configured binutils in another directory.. the only target it will
configure for
(without bfd configure complaining) is arm-unknown-aout.. no elf there..
IS
THIS CORRECT

tried to 'make' it. It failed trying to compile bfd/aout-arm.c
with FD_RELOC_ARM .. _GOT12, _GOT32, _GOTPC, and _JUMP_SLOT 
all undeclared.. no build.. WHATS WRONG???

3. egcs: this patched OK and configured (in another dir) for
arm-unknown-elf OK

tried 'make bootstrap' as the readme suggested.. it failed trying to
compile
gcc/gencodes.c reporting SYNTAX ERROR in gcc/config/arm/elf.h :407:
'syntax error before extern'

similar failure was seen trying the aout version..

Am I going about things correctly, or am I making a fundamental error???
Any help appreciated...
-- 
                      John Ballance
 Castle Technology, Ore Trading Estate, Woodbridge Road, Framlingham,
Suffolk UK IP13 9LL  Tel  44 (0) 1728 621 631, Fax  44 (0) 1728 621 179
web: http://www.castle-technology.co.uk or http://www.castlet.demon.co.uk

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 10:38:36 +0100

>and .15 from the vger site

That's not right.  You need to get binutils-2.9.1.0.15 from tsx-11.mit.edu 
(there is a patch relative to 2.9.1 there) and *then* apply the latest patch 
from vger on top.

p.

---

From: Chris Blazie <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 09:16:19 -0500 (EST)

I recently managed to get egcs built without errors for
arm-linuxaout.  The solution to the libgcc and header file problems was to
download arm-aout-libs-devel-4_6_27-1a6_arm.rpm from the ARM ftp site and
manually install the libraries and header files it contains from a
temporary ARM system tree.  It took a few tries to get everything in the
right place, but now it works flawlessly.  NOTE: be careful extracting
files from that rpm!  If rpm puts them where it wants you'll trash your
native compiler.

Chris

---

From: Werner Almesberger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 15:51:06 +0100 (MET)

> 1. binutils:  applying either patch complains about missing changelog

You may want to try
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/GCC/binutils-2.9.1.0.15.tar.gz
(see also my previous posting.)

I built cross-binutils with it for arm-linux (no idea if arm-whatever-elf
works too), without even the slightest problems.

egcs may be a different story, because the build process is clearly
different for cross-compilers and native compilers.

- Werner

-- 
  _________________________________________________________________________
 / Werner Almesberger, DI-ICA,EPFL,CH   [email-masked] /
/_IN_R_131__Tel_+41_21_693_6621__Fax_+41_21_693_6610_____________________/
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: "Adam 'WeirdArms' Wiggins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 11:10:08 +1100 (EST)

> (there is a patch relative to 2.9.1 there) and *then* apply the latest patch 
	In my recent experience with all this. binutils with the tsx
compiled with i think no major hassels on a alpha osf1 and pentium linux
boxes. egcs with phils patch also worked (but took some evil header file
hacking to get libgcc up) and thats all i've been able to get going. Both
glibc and the 2.0.35 kernel of Nico's have been quite troublesum.
	Any pointers to an appropriate libc for standalone elf and linux
elf?

	Cheers Adam

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 09:55:32 +0100

>	Any pointers to an appropriate libc for standalone elf and linux

The latest glibc 2.1 prerelease (currently 2.0.100).  No promises about 
standalone ELF but Linux and standalone a.out both work so it should only take 
a small amount of hacking.

That said, for a standalone configuration you might prefer newlib in any case.

p.

---

From: "Adam 'WeirdArms' Wiggins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 11:55:36 +1100 (EST)

> That said, for a standalone configuration you might prefer newlib in any case.

	I had a quick look at newlib, didn't seem to have any instructions
and just said 'nothing to do for all' when i tried to make it after
running configure. Is anyone actively working on glibc arm-linuxelf?

	Cheers Adam

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 09:41:26 +0100

>Is anyone actively working on glibc arm-linuxelf?

I look after it mostly.

p.