Subject: Re: [Lesstif]

From: CHRIS SAWER <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Nov 98 06:13:57 MST

Can anyone supply me with a binary distribution of the lesstif library.
I'm unable to compile it as I have insufficient memory and it fails on
what appears to be the final link.

Alternatively, if anyone can suggest a way round this that would be
equally appreciated.

The "out of memory" error at the final linking is a blatent lie - it is due to
the outdated a.out binary format that ArmLinux currently uses. A fix is on my
webpage at:

http://members.xoom.com/chrissawer/armlinux.html

This lets you compile lesstif, which I have done. I haven't had any success in
running programs which use it, however - Mosaic compiles but coredumps when
you run it, and an organizer program I tried failed with a font error. If you
do get it working, I'd be interested to hear from you.

My RiscPC's PSU gave up last night - at which time ArmLinux was doing some
compiling :-( - I hope it hasn't wrecked my hard disc. That's the reason for
this (presumably) awful formatting as I'm using usa.net's web based e-mail.

Chris

[email-masked] - http://members.xoom.com/chrissawer/

____________________________________________________________________
Get free e-mail and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com/?N=1
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: John Lindley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 18:49:54 +0000 (GMT)

On 17 Nov 1998, CHRIS SAWER wrote:

{snip}

> the outdated a.out binary format that ArmLinux currently uses. A fix is on my

Does this mean that I should be able to compile it using egcs and an ELF
capable kernel?

> do get it working, I'd be interested to hear from you.
I have a similar problem with xpdf, which doesn't use lesstif

> this (presumably) awful formatting as I'm using usa.net's web based e-mail.
I've got a spare here. I'm using it as a bookend atm

+---------------------------------+--------------------------------+
| www : www.BITS.bris.ac.uk/~john |  emo : [email-masked]	   |
+---------------------------------+--------------------------------+
|     ...Doh said Pooh, suffering from an identity crisis          |
+------------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: Chris Sawer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 18:41:20 +0000

In message <[email-masked]>
          John Lindley <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > The "out of memory" error at the final linking is a blatent lie - it is
> > due to the outdated a.out binary format that ArmLinux currently uses. A
> > fix is on my webpage at:
> > 
> 

Dunno, although I'll try it as soon as I get elf up and running on my system.
> 
> > This lets you compile lesstif, which I have done. I haven't had any
> > success in running programs which use it, however - Mosaic compiles but
> > coredumps when you run it, and an organizer program I tried failed with a
> > font error. If you do get it working, I'd be interested to hear from you.
> > 

Yeah - the fix is just a statically linked version of "ld" which can use more
memory than the one supplied with ArmLinux - quite a few programmes (not just
Lesstif) need it.

> > My RiscPC's PSU gave up last night - at which time ArmLinux was doing
> > some compiling :-( - I hope it hasn't wrecked my hard disc. That's the
> > reason for this (presumably) awful formatting as I'm using usa.net's web
> > based e-mail.

> I've got a spare here. I'm using it as a bookend atm
Thanks, but CJE Micros have already fixed it.

Chris

-- 
         Chris Sawer - Worthing, Sussex, England    ICQ: 15010147
    E-Mail: [email-masked]    PGP public key available on request
http://members.xoom.com/chrissawer/  <-- ArmLinux Binaries, Hints and Tips
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]