Subject: Re: compiling egcs1.1b for kernel compilation.. and Re: a.out support in binutils ..

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 10:49:43 +0100

>Phil.. there seems to be such bother GETTING to a compiled version with elf 
>that until the route for riscpcs is clear.. maybe a.out ought to 
>stay.. my humble opinion

Yeah, I had a handful of other messages saying that people would like it to 
stay.  I'll certainly do my best.

>on the other tack.. I can now compile and install both binutils and egcs for
>arm-linuxaout successfully.. BUT once using these I get a series of errors
>about missing items.. e.g. _fxstat.   I suspect I am doing something very
>silly.. have you any idea what?

Frankly no, not really.  It looks like you have some sort of header/library 
mismatch but I don't know how it could have happened.

p.

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: John Ballance <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 10:02:00

On Mon, 23 Nov, Philip Blundell  wrote:
> How many people would be upset if support for linux/arm a.out was dropped
in
> 
> the next major revision of binutils?

silly..
have you any idea what?

Many thanks
John

-- 
                      John Ballance
 Castle Technology, Ore Trading Estate, Woodbridge Road, Framlingham,
Suffolk UK IP13 9LL  Tel  44 (0) 1728 621 631, Fax  44 (0) 1728 621 179
web: http://www.castle-technology.co.uk or http://www.castlet.demon.co.uk

summary of commands issued: this resulted in installed binutils

    52	22:21	tar -xzf ls/binu*/binut15 ; gzip -cd ls/bi*/bu* - | patch -p0
    54	22:21	mkdir code
    55	22:22	cd code
    56	22:22	mkdir binu
    57	22:22	cd binu
   120	 0:25	../../bi*/configure arm-linuxaout --target=arm-linuxaout --enable-target=arm-linux,arm-linuxaout --enable-shared --prefix=/usr ; make
   121	 0:35	h
   122	 0:35	make
   123	 0:36	h
   124	 0:36	joe bfd/config.h
to comment out the definition of SETITIMER presence.. gprof/hertz.c
is unhappy unless I do this...   
   125	 0:36	make
   126	 0:46	make install
   127	 0:49	ld --version

equivalent was done for egcs1.1 to get to the point of installing gcc only

it was possible to add -static to the command line after it failed to finish ld
and get it installed

THEN..

try to compile a cross compiler for elf and for binutils with different prefix dir

also try to compile linux source tree.

I keep getting the followung types of errors..

can you shed light on whats missing?

.....

/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link gcc -g -O2  -o size  size.o bucomm.o version.o
filemode.o ../bfd/libbfd.la ../libiberty/libiberty.a
gcc -g -O2 -o size size.o bucomm.o version.o filemode.o
../bfd/.libs/libbfd.a ../libiberty/libiberty.a
../bfd/.libs/libbfd.a(bfd.o): In function _fd_get_mtime':
/usr/include/sys/stat.h:155: undefined reference to _fxstat'
../bfd/.libs/libbfd.a(bfd.o): In function bfd_get_size':
/usr/include/sys/stat.h:155: undefined reference to _fxstat'
../bfd/.libs/libbfd.a(archive.o): In function bfd_ar_hdr_from_filesystem':
/usr/include/sys/stat.h:135: undefined reference to _fxstat'
../bfd/.libs/libbfd.a(archive.o): In function bsd_write_armap':
/usr/include/sys/stat.h:135: undefined reference to _xstat'
../bfd/.libs/libbfd.a(opncls.o): In function bfd_close':
/usr/include/sys/stat.h:135: undefined reference to _xstat'
../bfd/.libs/libbfd.a(opncls.o): In function bfd_close_all_done':
/usr/include/sys/stat.h:135: undefined reference to _xstat'
../bfd/.libs/libbfd.a(libbfd.o): In function bfd_stat':
/usr/include/sys/stat.h:155: undefined reference to _fxstat'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [size] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory /usr/src/code/binu/binutils'
make: *** [all-binutils] Error 2
[root@localhost]$

make[3]: Entering directory /usr/src/code/egcs/texinfo/makeinfo'
gcc -g -O2  -o makeinfo  makeinfo.o multi.o ../lib/libtxi.a
../intl/libintl.a -lz
makeinfo.o: In function begin_insertion':
/usr/include/stdlib.h:141: undefined reference to __strtol_internal'
makeinfo.o: In function split_file':
/usr/include/sys/stat.h:135: undefined reference to _xstat'
makeinfo.o: In function get_file_info_in_path':
/usr/include/sys/stat.h:135: undefined reference to _xstat'
/usr/include/sys/stat.h:135: undefined reference to _xstat'
../intl/libintl.a(loadmsgcat.o): In function _nl_load_domain':
/usr/include/sys/stat.h:155: undefined reference to _fxstat'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [makeinfo] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory /usr/src/code/egcs/texinfo/makeinfo'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory /usr/src/code/egcs/texinfo'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory /usr/src/code/egcs/texinfo'
make: *** [all-texinfo] Error 2
[root@localhost]$

n.b. _fxstat seems to turn up a lot!

---

From: "Neil A. Carson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 11:25:50 -0800

John Ballance wrote:

...

The same message, around 8 or so times, from what I can tell :-) Or
maybe the list is just going crazy.
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]