Subject: Linux Loader Problem (2)

From: Damian Le Gresley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 08:54:10 +0000

I am not sure if my problem is the same as Stefan's, but I am too unable
to boot into Linux after installing it:

I have been installing Linux on my RPC 600, 41Mb, 1.7Gb HD, 32X CDROM. 
After a few attempts, I have installed all of the RPMs, and get to the
stage where the installer cannot find the kernel.  Then following the
instructions in the FAQ, I Alt-F2, and /mnt/bin/sync, which gets a brief
whirr from my hard drive.

When I try to reboot from the command line as in the FAQ, and type
root=/dev/hda3 at the extra commands, it starts to boot from the hard
disc fine, but then encounters an error which locks the entire computer,
requiring a Ctrl-Reset to reboot.  The error is as follows :

INIT:Version 2.64 booting
Bad mode in prefetch abort handler detected:mode SVC-32
Internal error : Oops : 0
CPU : 0
<Register dump>
Code : PC not in code space

I have tried running the install program again, with just the minimal
install to save time, but I still get the same problem.  I have been
very careful to follow all the instructions and still it does not work. 
What should I do now?

Any help would be much appreciated, as I am at a dead end.

Thanks

Damian
-- 
Damian Le Gresley
Third Year Electrical and Electronic Engineering Student
At Bath University
Visit my homepages at http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ee6dflg
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Alan J Pitcher <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 18:35:20 GMT

I tried to load Linux this afternoon myself (on a StrongARMed RiscPC)
and got exactly the same error. I was going to try again tonight, but
seeing you got the same error I'll wait to see if you get a reply.
We must be doing the same thing wrong.

Cheers.
-- 
Alan J Pitcher                      mailto:[email-masked]
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 22:31:37 +0000 (GMT)

> Code : PC not in code space

Although I am not answering this mail directly, I hope that this will point
you in the correct direction in order to solve it.

This problem is asked here quite regularly.  This is a common problem when
installing from an out of date distribution on a machine with more than 16MB
of RAM.  As such, it falls into the 'FAQ' capture range.  Indeed, several
months ago it was added to the very FAQ on my web site.  I shall quote from
the FAQ:

* I've just installed my system, but I can't log in!  I type in the password,
  and it returns me to the login prompt.
  Also, see this entry if you get an error similar to 'Bad mode in prefetch
  abort handler detected' as well as a register dump with the PC at around
  0xc40xxxxx.

Now, since you have not provided the register dump, I cannot confirm that this
is indeed the case using that.  However, since I have very intricate knowledge
of the way ARM Linux works, I can say that this is the problem.

If you look at the FAQ and locate this question, the answer will provide all
the information that you require to fix the problem, including a way of
getting your installation to boot correctly as is.

I hope this email helps you track down the problem.  If, however, you are
still unable to fix the problem, and you provide information about your
hardware setup, which versions/where you got your distribution from and so
forth, then I can provide further assistance.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Damian Le Gresley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 10:00:32 +0000

Well thanks for the tip Russell - once I typed mem=16M in at the
startup, it booted into Linux first time, and now I have the new modules
installed, it works fine.  All I have to do not is to work out how to
use Linux properly!!

X worked first time, but I am unable to run many programs from fvwm.  I
have also tried running them from the command line, but I get the same
problem - file or directory does not exist.  The strange thing is that
all the paths seem to be correct, and the programs are there in the
directory taking up space - does anyone know why they will not run.

The list of programs that do not work include control-panel, and most of
the programs in /usr/bin.

Thanks

Damian