Subject: ARM Linux port to new HW and glibc issues

From: Hwa Jin Bae <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 11:16:48 -0800

Hi!

Maybe someone can help me here.

I have done a port of Linux to a HW similar to EBSA285, based
on EBSA285 code. The machine has IDE and Ethernet on board 
along with SA110 and 21285 footbridge.   

The FW we have loads kernel from DOS style MBR 
partition'ed disk with ext2fs on it, uncompresses
and runs OK.  It goes through PCI init, finds devices, mounts
the ext2fs from the disk OK, and finds /dev/console properly
pointed to serial_21285, prints messages OK and then finds
/sbin/init on the disk and does a execve()... but then hangs.

I have a couple of different version of /sbin/init user program
compiled on a NetWinder and then copied over to the disk.
But the /sbin/init binary seems to be causing problems (my guess).

I have been trying to compile glibc 2.0.102 for StrongARM cross
target unsuccessfully... it always fails with alot of errors
regarding multiple definitions of functions in various files
against libc_pic.os (functions like __llseek, etc.).  Due to
this problem I can't make my own /sbin/init cross compiled
using the same set up I employ for cross-compiling the kernel.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

-- 
Hwa Jin Bae
PSO Systems Inc
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www.pso.com
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Hwa Jin Bae <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 09:31:16 -0800

Thank you for your suggestion.  The /sbin/init on Netwinder
I copied over was a QMAGIC a.out statically linked image.
It failed for some unknown reason...

Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> 
> Hi, can I suggest that you try a statically linked init first?  This
> should help reduce the number of things which can go wrong.

-- 
Hwa Jin Bae
PSO Systems Inc
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www.pso.com