Subject: cliIF()

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 22:18:27 +0100

Can somebody who's more familiar than me with the Archimedes code explain what 
this is used for at the moment?  I'm writing a driver at the moment that will 
need FIQs to be turned off while updating the IRQ masks on both Archimedes and 
A5k machines; I'd like to understand what the existing code is doing before I 
change it. :-)

p.

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 20:08:34 +0000 (GMT)

> A5k machines; I'd like to understand what the existing code is doing before I 

cliIF() is a call added by Dave Gilbert for MFM and floppy on the old ARC
architectures.  Allowing it to be used for A5K will probably kill the new
floppy DMA transfers.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 22:57:20 +0100

>architectures.  Allowing it to be used for A5K will probably kill the new

Are you just worried about additional latency or do you have some other 
concern on the A5k as well?  I just want to turn FIQs off for the few cycles 
in mask_irq() and unmask_irq() where the IOC registers are being updated.  
Otherwise disaster could ensue if a FIQ comes in and wants a downgrade at the 
wrong moment.  I don't think this will add more latency than we can tolerate 
but I'll do some sums to be sure.

p.