Subject: egcs still no compile.. binutils OK, thanks

From: John Ballance <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 00:29:30

Hi folks, especially Philip B

Thanks all for your help with binutils.. Following the post from Philip, 
I fetched the version he specified, patched it, and it built first time..

Thanks again

egcs-1.1b, is still nogo

I enclose a screen dump of a further attempt at 'make bootstrap'. It
fails at the first
'extern' keyword in 'elf.h'. if that is commented out, then it fails at
the first 'extern'
in arm.h, the next header read...

egcs is from ftp.egcs.cygnus.com. patch applied is from vger site as
indicated
in the faq

(Philip.. I note your name on this code...)

attempt 1: first build
Merged arm/t-bare.
Created jc/Makefile'.
gcc -c  -DIN_GCC    -g  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -I. -I../../../egcs-1.1b/gcc
-I../../../egcs-1.1b/gcc/config ../../../egcs-1.1b/gcc/gencodes.c
In file included from tm.h:2,
                 from ../../../egcs-1.1b/gcc/config/arm/xm-arm.h:54,
                 from hconfig.h:2,
                 from ../../../egcs-1.1b/gcc/gencodes.c:25:
./../../egcs-1.1b/gcc/config/arm/elf.h:407: syntax error before
'extern' make[4]: *** [gencodes.o] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory /usr/src/bin/arm-egcs-elf/gcc'
make[3]: *** [stmp-multilib-sub] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory /usr/src/bin/arm-egcs-elf/gcc'
make[2]: *** [stmp-multilib] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory /usr/src/bin/arm-egcs-elf/gcc'
make[1]: *** [bootstrap] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory /usr/src/bin/arm-egcs-elf/gcc'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2
[root@localhost]$

attempt 2: rebuild
make bootstrap
make[1]: Entering directory /usr/src/bin/arm-egcs-elf/libiberty'
make[1]: Leaving directory /usr/src/bin/arm-egcs-elf/libiberty'
make[1]: Entering directory /usr/src/bin/arm-egcs-elf/texinfo'
make all-recursive
make[2]: Entering directory /usr/src/bin/arm-egcs-elf/texinfo'
Making all in intl
make[3]: Entering directory /usr/src/bin/arm-egcs-elf/texinfo/intl'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for ll'. make[3]: Leaving directory
/usr/src/bin/arm-egcs-elf/texinfo/intl'
Making all in lib
make[3]: Entering directory /usr/src/bin/arm-egcs-elf/texinfo/lib'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for ll'. make[3]: Leaving directory
/usr/src/bin/arm-egcs-elf/texinfo/lib'
Making all in makeinfo
make[3]: Entering directory /usr/src/bin/arm-egcs-elf/texinfo/makeinfo'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for ll'. make[3]: Leaving directory
/usr/src/bin/arm-egcs-elf/texinfo/makeinfo'
make[2]: Leaving directory /usr/src/bin/arm-egcs-elf/texinfo'
make[1]: Leaving directory /usr/src/bin/arm-egcs-elf/texinfo'
Bootstrapping the compiler
make[1]: Entering directory /usr/src/bin/arm-egcs-elf/gcc'
make CC="gcc" libdir=/usr/local/lib LANGUAGES="c "
make[2]: Entering directory /usr/src/bin/arm-egcs-elf/gcc'
gcc  -DIN_GCC    -g  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -I. -I../../../egcs-1.1b/gcc
-I../../../egcs-1.1b/gcc/config \
-DPREFIX=\"/usr/local\" \
  -c echo ../../../egcs-1.1b/gcc/prefix.c | sed 's,^\./,,'
   In file included from tm.h:2,
                 from ../../../egcs-1.1b/gcc/config/arm/xm-arm.h:54,
                 from config.h:2,
                 from ../../../egcs-1.1b/gcc/prefix.c:66:
./../../egcs-1.1b/gcc/config/arm/elf.h:407: syntax error before 'extern'
make[2]: *** [prefix.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory /usr/src/bin/arm-egcs-elf/gcc'
make[1]: *** [bootstrap] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory /usr/src/bin/arm-egcs-elf/gcc'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

Any thoughts appreciated
-- 
                      John Ballance
 Castle Technology, Ore Trading Estate, Woodbridge Road, Framlingham,
Suffolk UK IP13 9LL  Tel  44 (0) 1728 621 631, Fax  44 (0) 1728 621 179
web: http://www.castle-technology.co.uk or http://www.castlet.demon.co.uk

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 10:10:11 +0100

>in arm.h, the next header read...

I think this has come up before and turned out to be due to some bogus thing 
that had got into the config.h file somehow.  I've never managed to reproduce 
it though.

I think that if you run that through the preprocessor (gcc -E) you'll probably 
find that before the "extern" where it's dying there's something of the form 
@FOO@ in the file (possibly quite a long way before with lots of whitespace 
in).  If you find out where that's coming from and prevent it, it will 
probably work.

p.

---

From: John Lindley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 09:52:29 +0000 (GMT)

How about, if it is so difficult, someone putting up a binary
distribution. I've not got round to trying it yet, my flatmate has
borrowed my zip drive with it on, but if you want to send me it I'll
happily post it on my web pages. I can finally update them!!!

+----------------------------------------------------------------+
|		    | _ |_ ._   | o._  _|| _			 |
|		  \_|(_)| || |  |_|| |(_||(/_\/			 |	
|	 	                             / 			 |
+-------------------------------+--------------------------------+
| WWW				| E-Mail			 |
|  www.BITS.bris.ac.uk/~john	|  [email-masked]		 |
+-------------------------------+--------------------------------+
|     ...Doh said Pooh, suffering from an identity crisis        |
+----------------------------------------------------------------+