Subject: egcs cross compiler

From: Chris Blazie <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 17:02:33 -0500 (EST)

I'm setting up a new workstation for ARM linux development, and am
trying to use egcs 1.0.3 for cross-compiling on the RedHat 5.0 Pentium 2
system (I used gcc 2.7.2.2 the first time I did this).  It appears to
compile ok, but the build fails with the error(s) below.  Has anyone seen
this problem before?  Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/egcs-1.0.3/gcc'
/usr/src/egcs-1.0.3/gcc/xgcc -B/usr/src/egcs-1.0.3/gcc/ -DCROSS_COMPILE -DIN_GCC    -g -O2 -I./include     -c ./libgcc1-test.c
Testing libgcc1.  Ignore linker warning messages.
/usr/src/egcs-1.0.3/gcc/xgcc -B/usr/src/egcs-1.0.3/gcc/ -DCROSS_COMPILE -DIN_GCC    -g -O2 -I./include  libgcc1-test.o -o libgcc1-test \
  -nostartfiles -nostdlib `/usr/src/egcs-1.0.3/gcc/xgcc -B/usr/src/egcs-1.0.3/gcc/ --print-libgcc-file-name`
rm -f stmp-f2c.h
case "c proto gcov  c++ f77 objc" in \
*f77*) top=`pwd`; \
src=`cd .; pwd`; \
  cd f/runtime; \
  CROSS="-DCROSS_COMPILE" AR_FLAGS="rc" AR="arm-linuxaout-ar" BISON="bison" BISONFLAGS="" CC="gcc" CFLAGS="-g -O2" X_CFLAGS="" LDFLAGS="" LEX="flex" LEXFLAGS="" MAKEINFO="/usr/src/egcs-1.0.3/texinfo/makeinfo/makeinfo " MAKEINFOFLAGS="" RANLIB="arm-linuxao
ut-ranlib" RANLIB_TEST="[ -f /usr/local/arm-linuxaout/bin/ranlib ]" SHELL="/bin/sh" exec_prefix="/usr/local" prefix="/usr/local" tooldir="/usr/local/arm-linuxaout" bindir="/usr/local/bin" libsubdir="/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/arm-linuxaout/egcs-2.90.29" \
  CC="`case '/usr/src/egcs-1.0.3/gcc/xgcc -B/usr/src/egcs-1.0.3/gcc/' in \
     './xgcc -B./') echo ${top}/xgcc -B${top}/;; \
     *) echo '/usr/src/egcs-1.0.3/gcc/xgcc -B/usr/src/egcs-1.0.3/gcc/';; esac`" \
  CONFIG_SITE=/dev/null /bin/sh \
  ${src}/f/runtime/configure --srcdir=${src}/f/runtime ;; \
esac
loading site script /dev/null
loading cache ./config.cache
checking for gcc... /usr/src/egcs-1.0.3/gcc/xgcc -B/usr/src/egcs-1.0.3/gcc/
checking whether the C compiler (/usr/src/egcs-1.0.3/gcc/xgcc 
-B/usr/src/egcs-1.0.3/gcc/ -g -O2 ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot 
create executables.
make[1]: *** [stmp-f2c.h] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/egcs-1.0.3/gcc'
make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 23:14:04 +0100

>this problem before?  Any advice is appreciated.

At a guess you don't have the required C libraries installed to actually build 
executables at this stage.  Egcs is rather over-enthusiastic sometimes about 
building things that you don't really want - in this case the failure is in 
the Fortran part of the compiler.

p.

---

From: Chris Blazie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 16:54:13 -0500 (EST)

> the Fortran part of the compiler.

	That was indeed the problem; installing arm libraries from an rpm
on the arm-linux site solved the problem.

Thanks,
Chris