Subject: a.out support in binutils

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 22:38:42 +0100

How many people would be upset if support for linux/arm a.out was dropped in 
the next major revision of binutils?

p.

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 11:24:52 +0100

Russell King wrote:

>Why is it necessary to drop it?

It isn't, necessarily.  I'm trying to have the ELF stuff merged for the next 
(presumably 2.10) release of binutils, and it may turn out to be hard to get 
this done without losing a.out, mostly because some of the necessary 
assignments are missing (I've been trying for months now to get them in place 
and sooner or later I have to give up).

In any case, this won't happen tomorrow or next week and it's not likely even 
to be next month.  I just wanted to get a feeling for how many people wanted 
the support kept so I didn't waste effort on redundant code.  I think the
conclusion is that a significant number of people think it's still useful.  
Thanks to all those who responded.

p.

---

From: Russell King <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 11:03:49 +0000 (GMT)

--
Russell King ([email-masked])