Subject: sshd holes

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 11:57:25 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

This is to all people using the ssh, the secure shell, on the ARM
platform.

There has been a security alert (on RootShell) about ssh 1.2.26 having
a buffer overflow problem.

Although the current version on the FTP site is 1.2.20 (rather old), it
is probably a good idea to upgrade anyway.

Since it may be possible to use the same method on the ARM to gain root
access, I have produced a new set of RPMs which should have this hole
fixed.

Although I'm not saying that there are no holes and that this hole is
definitely fixed, I recommend (if you are using ssh) to upgrade to the
new version ssh-1.2.26-2i (a.out) on the FTP site.

For those using ELF (Netwinder), I think that the SRPM should be able
to be rebuilt easily.

Location:
binary:	ftp.arm.uk.linux.org:/pub/armlinux/RedHat/non-free/RPMS
source:	ftp.arm.uk.linux.org:/pub/armlinux/RedHat/non-free/SRPMS

	OR your nearest mirror (eg, ftp.netwinder.org)

To upgrade:
	/etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd.init stop
	rpm --erase ssh-clients ssh
	rpm -i --nodeps ssh-1.2.26-2i.arm.rpm
	rpm -i --nodeps ssh-clients-1.2.26-2i.arm.rpm
	rpm -i --nodeps ssh-server-1.2.26-2i.arm.rpm
	/etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd start

NOTE: the old ssh packages had the symlinks from /etc/rc.d/rc?.d/* to
sshd.init, which will be removed.  To allow ssh to be automatically
started at boot, place the symlinks as follows:

	ln -sf ../init.d/sshd /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K45sshd
	ln -sf ../init.d/sshd /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S55sshd
	ln -sf ../init.d/sshd /etc/rc.d/rc4.d/S55sshd
	ln -sf ../init.d/sshd /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S55sshd
	ln -sf ../init.d/sshd /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K45sshd

THIS INFORMATION AND PROGRAMS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF
ANY KIND, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTIBILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

(Just thought I'd include the lack of warranty). ;)
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]