Subject: FAO Russell King or P Blundell - PLEASE!

From: John Ballance <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 00:33:19

Hi Phil or Russell

It is proving very difficult to get to the stage of kernel compilation.
Please help,
then it ought to be possible to run linux with the Castle scsi cards

1. Phil.. the directory pointed to (in your toolchain page) for libc is
wrong.. 
it now only contains crypt.. the parent dir seems ok...

2. following Phil's toolchain instructions permitted binutils to be
installed, once
line 120 of gcc/config.in had had the 'TOP' commented out (thanks for the
means
of finding this Phil). I presume that I need to ensure /usr/local/bin is
visited
at the start of the PATH to ensure these tools are used preferentially
. configuring for arm-linux

3. next step.. gcc... doing the gcc-only bit with egcs-1.1b as
recommended..
failed because /usr/lib/crt0.o was unusable or
unreadable.. it comes from the -aout-devel rpm, as available from the
distributions
url.. what to do?

4. thought this meant I needed libc in place.. attempted that.. it was
unhappy as the 
make I had was 3.74 and it needed 3.75 or later...

5. tried to get current make from gnu.. configured arm-linux.. it ended
up requiring
ar.h, which was non-existant... 

6. I have linux-1.0.126 tree patched and in place.. but still cannot
proceed...

Please Please Please.. I'm wasteing SO many hours trying to get to a
system
to enable kernel building.. to extend linux's scsi and ethernet card
coverage to my
Castle cards... Can either of you suggest a reliable method.. My
starting point is the info on the May Developer CDROM and SA kernel
2.0.31

-- 
                      John Ballance
 Castle Technology, Ore Trading Estate, Woodbridge Road, Framlingham,
Suffolk UK IP13 9LL  Tel  44 (0) 1728 621 631, Fax  44 (0) 1728 621 179
web: http://www.castle-technology.co.uk or http://www.castlet.demon.co.uk

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 10:00:26 +0100

>wrong.. it now only contains crypt.. the parent dir seems ok...

Yes, you're right.  I'll amend the web page.

>visited at the start of the PATH to ensure these tools are used preferentially

This is already the case, but yes.  So long as you pick up the right version 
of the gcc driver it should automatically get the matching paths to everything 
else right.

>recommended.. failed because /usr/lib/crt0.o was unusable or
>distributions url.. what to do?

I don't understand why this would happen.  Can you post the exact commands 
you're using and the messages you get from make (just those near where it 
stops)?  This shouldn't occur during the first stage compile unless something 
strange is happening.

>unhappy as the make I had was 3.74 and it needed 3.75 or later...

If all you're trying to do is compile kernels, you don't need libc installed.

p.

---

From: Stefan Hanske <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 19:04:57 +0100 (CET)

> If all you're trying to do is compile kernels, you don't need libc installed.

Btw, I've compiled glibc-2.0.94/2.0.95 using make-3.74 - I just changed
the configure-script. It worked.

----------------------------------------------------------
|mailto: Stefan Hanske ([email-masked] |
|WWW : http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~shanske      |
|phone: I'm not silly                                    |
|--------------------------------------------------------|
| And don't forget to remember what you remembered not   |
| to forget to remember...				 |
----------------------------------------------------------