Subject: Re: Matshita CD rom drive problems

From: Chris Nelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 16:07:08 +0000

In message <[email-masked]> you wrote:

> In message <[email-masked]> you wrote:
> 
> > I have only recently subscribed to this list, and have looked up the list
> > archives for problems with the Matshita CD rom drives. There was a thread 
> > about problems with these drives in July, but unfortunately, the archive 
> > stops abruptly at the end of that month, so I don't know what the end result
> > was.  Is there any way of getting Linux to boot whilst one of these drives
> > are connected?
> 
> Er... you could enter "hdb=noprobe" at the extra commands prompt although
> you won't be able to access the CD ROM under Linux.
> 

Thanks for the suggestion Mat, unfortunately it doesn't work :-(.  If the CD 
rom is connected and I run without the hdb=noprobe line, the kernel crashes on 
the line starting hdb: Matshita CD Rom drive, spawn of hell etc. etc
If I type hdb=noprobe as Mat suggests, the kernel crashes on the line before,
starting 'hda:' and listing all the stats of my Conner IDEFS drive.  We're 
talking a complete crash here btw, no cursor and little blue button time. I'm
sure I'm not the only one to find this behaviour a little bizarre....

I have no problems if I disconnect the CD Rom drive itself, well, actually I do
for which see my other posting... :-) but it gets past this bit anyway.

Chris
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]