Subject: Configuring local Ethernet

From: Stefan Bellon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 00:07:15 +0000 (GMT)

I installed ARMLinux on both of my RiscPCs. They are connected together
via i-cubed EtherLAN602 combo cards. Now I "just" need to know, how to
set things up, so that it works.

I can "ping localhost", but I can't "ping <ip-address>" or "ping
<host-name>". So I edited /etc/hosts so that my two IP addresses and
both host names are entered. Didn't help so far.

Then I tried "ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1" but I only get an error
telling "SCIOIFADDR not found" or similar (sorry, forgot to write down
the exact message :-/ ).

What am I doing wrong?

Please tell me - step by step - which file needs editing and what
should go where.

TIA!

Greetings,

-- 
  _____ _____ ____ ____ ____ _  _
 |  ___/_   _|  __|  __/ __ | \| |  Stefan Bellon         mailto:[email-masked]
 |___  | | | |  __|  __| __ |    |
 /_____| |_| |____|_|  |_||_|_|\_|  Acorn RiscPC * StrongARM 202Mhz * 66 MB RAM

 My sub routine just torpedoed the floating point and sunk it
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 20:40:43 +0000 (GMT)

> telling "SCIOIFADDR not found" or similar (sorry, forgot to write down

Ok, here's a set of questions:

1. Are you using one of the pre-built kernels on the FTP site?

2. Have you loaded the 8390 and etherh modules?

3. What kernel messages do you have (try grep 'eth0' /var/log/messages).

4. What happens if you 'ifconfig eth0' on it's own?
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]