Subject: Hi there...

From: Ian Molton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 01:29:46 +0100

Well, I went and tried NetBSD 'cos of certain things looking greener on
their side of the fence, but I've come back to linux (because BSD doesnt
seem to like me)

I've successfully installed 2.0.35, but cant for the life of me remember
how to install the kernel sources.

Can anyone give step by step instructions, as this (still) isnt adequately
covered anywhere I have found (I looked in the FAQ)

I assume I will need the 2.0.35 kernel sources (ftp.kernel.org) and the
2.0.35 patches (ftp.arm.uk.linux.org), but am at a loss as to what to do
now.

I installed the kernel source in /usr/src/linux, and tried

gunzip <name of patches> | patch

but this gave a massive (scrolled v. fast) list of stuff and then failed
with an error about garbled whassnames.

I'm on ethernet, so I'm not too worried about having to download stuff.

Many thanks,

-- 
-Ian aka Lennier
Acorn Computers, the best in the world
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hawk/
BaBe - Women's human rights organisation in Croatia
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hawk/babe/
Preferences: Cats, Zap, Purple, Aspie
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthew Kirkwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 08:59:40 +0100 (GMT)

> how to install the kernel sources.
[snip]
> gunzip <name of patches> | patch

cd /usr/src/linux
zcat (or gunzip -c) patch1.gz patch2.gz (in order) | patch -p1

if the patches have been made the usual way..

Matthew.

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 09:37:17 +0100

>covered anywhere I have found (I looked in the FAQ)

Did you look in linux/README or the kernel HOWTO?

p.

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 11:17:59 +0200

> covered anywhere I have found (I looked in the FAQ)

Yes, it is.  /usr/src/linux/README covers it adequately.

                cd /usr/src
                gzip -cd patchXX.gz | patch -p0

Though I prefer
		cd /usr/src/linux
		zcat patch-armXX.gz |patch -p1

-- 
Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
"I decry the current tendency to seek patents on algorithms.  There are
better ways to earn a living than to prevent other people from making use of
one's contributions to computer science."  -- Donald E. Knuth, TAoCP vol 3
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Ian Molton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 11:13:04 +0100

>                 gzip -cd patchXX.gz | patch -p0

Aha! the -p0 was missing! I KNEW I wasnt far wrong!

> 		zcat patch-armXX.gz |patch -p1

Whats the difference?