Subject: gmake and Netscape

From: Rob Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 22:56:26 +0100

Firstly, I notice from trying to compile Arena that it's after a
program called gmake instead of make.. What is the difference, and
if I should have gmake, where and what is it?

Also, I had a look at the Netscape sources which purport to compile
on Linux.  Would these work on Armlinux?  Would someone with enough
memory be able to compile them?  They need the Motif libraries, but
can these be used to compile stand alone executables? 

-- 
Rob Davis                OAC Ministries, British Registered Charity, 295432
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homepage: http://www.oac.u-net.com    Mobile: 0973 359577 (SMS welcome)
[email-masked] (Rob.. At the house)
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 09:06:50 +0200

> if I should have gmake, where and what is it?

gmake is GNU make - which is what you have installed as make.  If you want
you can create an alias for it, or you can sort out Arena's configuration
files properly.  pmake is 4.4BSD make which has a totally different
syntax, but you don't find many programs which require pmake.

> can these be used to compile stand alone executables? 

Several people have had a go at an arm-aout netscape; it's really not
worth it.  Wait for ELF.  To be fair, it's really Motif that's the
problem, not netscape.

-- 
Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
"I decry the current tendency to seek patents on algorithms.  There are
better ways to earn a living than to prevent other people from making use of
one's contributions to computer science."  -- Donald E. Knuth, TAoCP vol 3
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]