Subject: Re: Ghostscript problem

From: Richard Atterer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 20:32:27 +0200

[Following up to a private mail - I hope you don't mind, Russell]

In message <[email-masked]> Russell wrote:

> > gs dumps core - should I send that to you (59k zipped)?
> 
> Not yet - can you check the sum of /usr/bin/gs please?  My copy
> is:
> 
> 44058   480

Yes, that's the version I'm trying to use.

> However, what I'll do is I'll send you a new binary with full
> debugging on so that any core file is meaningful...

Yes, please do that!

Unfortunately I've only got a dial-in account here, so debugging over
the net is not an option.

By chance, I noticed yesterday that
/usr/lib/ghostscript/fonts/u004006t.afm gave an I/O error when accessed

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 23:45:14 +0100 (BST)

Richard Atterer writes:
> I felt uneasy about this (doesn't "I/O error" usually indicate read
> errors or similarly serious failures?), so I checked my whole Linux
> partition: 4 files give I/O errors under Linux; when using IscaFS under
> RiscOS there is no error, but the IDE bus LED remains on after the file
> has been accessed. I don't think the drive has errors, because it's new
> (a 3.2GB Seagate on the internal IDE bus).

I/O failures generally mean that it's unable to read something.  You may
want to check your system message logs /var/log/* for anything strange.

> Also, the following error messages are printed during booting. Is this
> serious?
> 
> : kernel: fcntl_setlk() called by process 52 (syslogd) with broken
> : flock() emulation

That's ok - it's just a warning that syslogd may not work with future
kernels.

> : ypserv[90]: unable to register (YPPROG, YPVERS, udp).
> : ypbind[113]: unable to register (YPBINDPROG, YPBINDVERS, udp). :
> : Invalid argument 

Both of these will be produced by portmap missing.  They're the Network
Information Service (NIS) daemons, which you probably aren't using.
As such, you might as well do a:
	 rpm --erase ypclients ypserv ypbind

> Additionally, /lib/modules/2.0.35/modules.dep isn't found. ISTR that
> this is only supplied with the kernel sources, so I don't need it, do I?

No, it's not supplied with the kernel sources.  However, if you have some
modules in /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/*, then this file will be generated
automatically on the next boot.  I think actually just creating the
/lib/modules/<kernel-version> directory will be sufficient.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]