Subject: Re: X display in 256 colours

From: dooby <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 10:35:00 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Melanie Rhianna Lewis wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, dooby wrote lots of stuff
> 
> First of all I think you are confused.  X has nothing to do with the
> kernel.  Its up to the X server.

I know this, but I imagine that if the kernel has been 'broken' so it
doesn't properly support mode changes (eg expects a VIDC20) then that's
going to have an impact on the display...

> Secondly why would you want to run X in mode 15, unless you only have a
> PAL monitor. Its far too small.  I find 640x480 (Mode 28) too small (but
> my good monitor is on my Intel Linux box) but it does work in my RPC.

I was desparate - and tried everything ;-) Also, it would make a _slight_
speed difference, by freeing more memory (there's precious little as it
is, and 320K / 8192K for the screen mode is significant :-|

> I think you need help from a fellow A5000 owner.

Me too - where are they all?!

Cheers,

dooby

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 11:53:03 +0100 (BST)

> going to have an impact on the display...

Linux currently does not support mode changes full stop.  It needs to know
about your monitor in order to do this, and there is currently no way of
doing this.

> is, and 320K / 8192K for the screen mode is significant :-|

If you want to run it in mode 15, start it up in this before entering Linux.

--
Russell King ([email-masked])

---

From: dooby <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 13:13:48 +0100 (BST)

> If you want to run it in mode 15, start it up in this before entering Linux.

I have tried this (and other 256 colour modes). After typing startx the
screen goes black, and the monitor (an AKF18 :-| ) shows nothing. It is
correctly configured under RISC OS.

If anyone has ideas (Russell? ;-) I'd be very grateful, 'cos X is quite a
beast in only 16 colours.

What other info do people need about my system? 2.0.30-2.0.33 kernels
tried, 2 from the ftp site, 1 made myself. A5000 8MB RAM + IDE harddisc
(ie root is on hdb3).

Thanks for any assistance,

dooby