Subject: Linux PCMCIA support on Brutus

From: Sandeep Chatterjee <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 22:59:58 -0400

Greetings!

We recently got a hold of a StrongARM Brutus board and are trying to get
Linux running on it. We've been successful with Russel King and Debby
Wallach's port to Brutus. However, there doesn't seem to be any PCMCIA
support. Is anybody working on this?

It appears that PCMCIA support will first require SRAM support as the
CS3REG, which controls the PCMCIA sockets, are mapped into SRAM
space (Static Bank 3). But, the StrongARM documentation says that
both DRAM and SRAM cannot be used together? Any ideas? Pointers?

Thanks!
--Sandeep

Sandeep Chatterjee
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Laboratory for Computer Science
545 Technology Square, NE43-212
Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
PH: +1.617.258.5413
FAX: +1.617.253.6652
Email: [email-masked]
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Nicolas Pitre <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 11:42:39 -0400 (EDT)

> support. Is anybody working on this?

Yes I do.
My mostly latest diff against Russel 2.0.35 tree is available at
ftp://stp.cam.org/users/nico.

> both DRAM and SRAM cannot be used together? Any ideas? Pointers?

On Brutus there's a CPLD mapped into  bank 3 which controls all the extra
glue logic for PCMCIA.  You just have to access it directly since Angel
already made all necessary setup.  You may look at Angel's source to see
how they did it.

If you use my diff, all PCMCIA space is virtually mapped.  However the
CPLD isn't (I did it afterwards).

Actually I'm about to drive a hard disk via an IDE card.  It still needs
some trick to the interrupt routine.  When I'll be successful with it I'll
put another diff online.  Hope to do so before the end of this week.

Nicolas Pitre, B. ing.
[email-masked]