Subject: minimal installation

From: "M.B.J.Koek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 11:32:57 +0100 (MET)

Hello all,

I want to install Linux on a RPC without CD or Ethernet (so only floppies and
33K6 Internet access). I know that's a challenge (transferring 78Mb of rpms is
not an option). However, this will force me to become acquainted with custom
installation ;-). Also, I am just enough of a hacker, optimist and nerd to
expect it to be fun.

So, I am trying to get a very minimal system running, just to get started. I
got pretty far with only the installation disks. The only problem seems to be
that I haven't got 'mv' or 'cp' to copy the contents of the RAM disk to the
hard drive.

If I get a 'cp' binary, and copy the files from the RAM disk (as it lives
'underneath' the installer) to the directory which is the mount point for the
Linux partition, can I then boot directly into Linux?

If and when that works, I want to try to get gcc working. For that, I obviously
need to start with a binary too; is that 'downloadable' over 33K6?

Could anyone give me a pointer to a 'cp' binary, or mail me one? (not all at
once, please :-) Or can you give me a good reason why this is never going to
work?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Mark Koek

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 09:18:15 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>
          "M.B.J.Koek" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> So, I am trying to get a very minimal system running, just to get started.
> I got pretty far with only the installation disks. The only problem seems
> to be that I haven't got 'mv' or 'cp' to copy the contents of the RAM disk
> to the hard drive.
>
> 'underneath' the installer) to the directory which is the mount point for
> the Linux partition, can I then boot directly into Linux?

Useful things such as cp and mv are not included on either of the boot discs.
However, you can get hold of quite a few useful binaries (the base system, in
fact) from my installation guide, available from my web site (a 3meg zip
file, most of which is 'base' and 'instimage', which I believe are the most
basic things possible for a working armlinux installation.  Someone please
correct me if you do need more than this.

Phil

-- 
http://newton.ex.ac.uk/general/ug/norman/index.html
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]