Subject: Re: Three questions...

From: Chris Sawer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 1998 13:23:49 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>
          Philip Blundell <[email-masked]> wrote:

<snip>

> >3. I'm /still/ trying to compile The Gimp, but my recompiled (statically
> >linked) ld from Binutils 2.8 gives this error:
> >
> >ld: memory violation at pc=0x00031700, lr=0x6001ba80
> >(bad address=0x00000004, code 3)
> >gcc: Internal compiler error: program ld got fatal signal 11
> >
> >Does anyone understand this at all?
> 
> The linker tried to dereference NULL.

I'm afraid that I'm not that technical - does this mean there is a problem
with the linker, with the files I'm trying to link, or something else?

I've just had an identical error trying to compile Lesstif.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

-- 
  Chris Sawer - Worthing, Sussex, England
    http://members.xoom.com/chrissawer/
E-Mail: [email-masked],  ICQ: 15010147
    PGP public key available on request
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 1998 16:12:31 +0100

>with the linker, with the files I'm trying to link, or something else?

It's a linker bug.  If you can send me a test case I'll see if I can find the 
problem.

p.

---

From: Chris Sawer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 1998 12:37:57 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>
          Philip Blundell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> It's a linker bug.  If you can send me a test case I'll see if I can find
> the  problem.

Basically what I've done is downloaded the BinUtils source 2.9.1 and 2.8
(over a 28.8 modem - ouch!). Trying to compile ld from 2.9.1 statically
seemed to work, but it refused to link my .o files saying they were in an
unrecognized format. The same thing happens when compiling 2.8 without the
patch - I think it's because you can't specify the host arm-unknown-gnuaout,
only ending in -aout.

I managed to compile 2.8, using the Arm patch (which I don't seem to be able
to find any more - is it necessary?) from the ArmLinux ftp site - which is
the one which crashes.

Are there any patches for 2.9.1, or is there another way of trying to get
that to work? I really can't face another 5Mb+ download...

Thanks for all your help,

Chris

PS. Does anyone have a statically linked ld that works that they could send
me? It would save a lot of hassle.

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 1998 14:52:25 +0100

>that to work? I really can't face another 5Mb+ download...

Did you apply HJ's 2.9.1.x patches?  Stock 2.9.1 almost certainly doesn't 
do the right thing.

If not you can get the patches from sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/GCC/private/
tofu.  You need to get all the appropriate diff files and apply them one after 
the other.

Once you've got 2.9.1.0.14 if you still have trouble then let me know.

p.

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 1998 17:27:04 +0200

> patch - I think it's because you can't specify the host arm-unknown-gnuaout,

Hmm.  This seems to be a common mistake; can anyone suggest a good way of
making sure people know about it?  You need to have a version of the
binutils which knows about armlinux; the stock GNU binutils 2.9.1 do not.
I believe there's a binutils 2.9.1.0.7 on sunsite.unc.edu, or one of its
mirrors.  The good news for you is that there's a 100k diff file available:

ftp://sunsite.org.uk/Mirrors/sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/GCC/binutils-2.9.1-2.9.1.0.7.diff.gz

-- 
Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
"I decry the current tendency to seek patents on algorithms.  There are
better ways to earn a living than to prevent other people from making use of
one's contributions to computer science."  -- Donald E. Knuth, TAoCP vol 3
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 1998 18:31:25 +0100

>mirrors.  The good news for you is that there's a 100k diff file available:

2.9.1.0.14 is actually the latest.  I can't remember if there are any 
substantial changes since 2.9.1.0.7.  I've actually just made a new patch 
against 2.9.1.0.14 but it shouldn't change anything for a.out people.

p.