Subject: Help required

From: Andrew Tuson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 20:35:32 +0100

I have managed, with a little help, to install ARMLinux on my SA RiscPC700
and can boot up from !Lunix, and log in as root or a user profile that I
have set up.  I have 2 queries, though:

Linux always starts up in 1280 x 1024 @ 256 colours.  This is a little
annoying, since my old monitor cannot remember the settings for that
resolution and I have to reset it manually every time.  Is there any
way to define the startup resolution?

Evene though I selected a UK keyboard when I installed Linux the editing
keys do not work correctly when logging in, using bash or X.  The backspace
key echoes the last keypress (ie backspace after root\ gives toor/) and
the cursor keys do not work correctly (ie cursor up gives ^[[A).

Any help would be gratefully received. 

-- 
Andrew Tuson
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Peter Bell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 09:25:26 +0100

In message Andrew Tuson <[email-masked]> wrote:
> key echoes the last keypress (ie backspace after root\ gives toor/)

Ah, someone who has never worked with a hardcopy terminal and doesn't
recognise the delete action?

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Bell - [email-masked] - FourSquare Computing Ltd
5 Drome Path, Winnersh, Wokingham, Berkshire  RG41 5HB, UK.
Tel. +44 (0) 118 989 0982   Fax. +44 (0) 118 979 4639
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Paul Vigay <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 14:10:18 +0100

In article <[email-masked]>,
> way to define the startup resolution?

Look inside the !Linux directory and you should find a small BASIC file
called "ModeNew". There is a line in this which sets the screen mode. Just
set it to what you want.

However, I've yet to work out a way of having a different X Window mode to
the cli mode.

> the cursor keys do not work correctly (ie cursor up gives ^[[A).

Hmmm, I'd be interested in other people's comments here. I presume the keys
are definable somewhere because I find that different apps use different key
mappings. For instance joe's editor and VI seem to use different keys on my
setup. Backspace and delete are probably the two least consistent keys but I
also find that ££# (hash) is sometimes different. Inside script files it
usually denotes a comment, but if I use the hash key (left of RETURN) it
appears as a hash on screen but is not a comment, therefore gives errors on
execution. If I use SHIFT-3 (pound sign) it comes out on screen as a hash and
does actually get treated as a hash. Weird huh!

Paul

-- 
Paul Vigay                                           Acorn Programming,
                                    __\\|//__	    Internet Consultancy
http://www.matrix.clara.net         (` o-o ')           & Web Design
-----------------------------------ooO-(_)-Ooo---------------------------

It's hard to make a program foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 18:13:12 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>

> recognise the delete action?

Is it just me, or is this email being sent over and over again, every hour
or so?  If it is, could someone please do something about it - it's starting
to get annoying.

Thanks,
Phil

---

From: Peter Bell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 20:54:19 +0100

> or so?  If it is, could someone please do something about it - it's starting

Sorry about that.  I think it was Demon playing silly b******s.

The post machine at Demon accepted the SMTP connection, and received
my post, but didn't acknowledged it (until the fourth connection).  My
system was unaware that it had actually been accepted the first three
times.

---

From: Melanie Rhianna Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 00:56:14 +0100 (BST)

> does actually get treated as a hash. Weird huh!

The backslash \ and forward slash / is an old style delete from when you
couldn't actually move the cursor backwards.  I remember it from the VAX
and Unix mainframes I used at college in the early 80s.  When you hit
delete, the first time it puts a back slash and the last character typed. 
It then displays previous characters in reverse order until you start
typing again at which point it displays a forward slash.  For example

Melanei\ie/ie  

This only happens at the login prompt.

Joe's editor is a 7 bit app and so shows high bit characters as inverted 7
bit versions eg. The Sterling symbol is displayed as a reverse #.  I'm not
sure about VI but I would imagine that's 7 bit too.  Pine/Pico support 8
bit.  The UK keyboard map isn't perfect but I have tweaked it and it works
fine in X on my system.  Sterling, hash, tilde the works...  In the
console only the Sterling symbol isn't displayed except for in Joe as
reverse #. If any one wants a copy I can upload it to my arm linux web
pages. 

http://www.defaid.demon.co.uk/armlinux

Melanie

-- 
=====================================================================
Melanie Rhianna Lewis                      [email-masked]
"An it hurt none, do what thou will"    http://www.defaid.demon.co.uk
         TLBB#2 TGMCC#1 - MZ125, X7 (Under re-construction) 
=====================================================================

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 10:07:37 +0100 (BST)

> This only happens at the login prompt.

If you're getting this at other times, type 'stty sane' into the shell prompt
before starting your program.

> reverse #. If any one wants a copy I can upload it to my arm linux web

It would be useful to feed it back to me so that the distribution gets
updated...
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]