Subject: Re: Java on ARM-Linux?

From: "Samuel Kock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 11:52:20 +0200

>Is there any information on the following: A Java VM for ARM-Linux, so that
>I could use Java programs as I could under Intel Linux for example? If it's
>not there, yet, is there any information about when it could be available
>for ARM-Linux?

If you find out, let me know! I downloaded Kaffee version something.\, but
cannot get it to compile. It mumbles aabout it cannot guess my system, even
with Chris sawer's config.guess file. So, if anybody has any ideas/lights,
etc, let me know...

Toodles

Samuel Kock
---
[email-masked]

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Paul Vigay <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 15:21:41 +0100

I know this is probably an area that a lot of people may have had problems
in, but for some reason I cannot get my ARMLinux installation to work on my
networked RPC. I've installed the latest kernel/modules etc etc (2.0.35)
and I've got the etherh.o etc, but I can't for the life of me work out how
to get it working with my ethernet card.

Does anyone have any clues, or is there an FAQ I'm missing somewhere. I
read through the one on the Armlinux site and read the devices page and I
have the Etherh 600 type card so it should be compatible.

Whenever I try the ifconfig command it keeps giving device not known type
errors. 

I didn't include the ethernet card in the original installation because it
failed to recognise it then, but I assume you can add network cards after
the original installation anyway (if you upgraded etc, you shouldn't need
to reinstall etc).

Any help would be appreciated, before I pull out what's left of my hair. :-)

regards,
Paul

-- 
Paul Vigay                                           Acorn Programming,
                                    __\\|//__	    Internet Consultancy
http://www.matrix.clara.net         (` o-o ')           & Web Design
-----------------------------------ooO-(_)-Ooo---------------------------

51 Things to do in a lift: 13. Greet everyone getting on the lift with a warm handshake and ask them to call you Admiral.
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 17:48:04 +0100

>Whenever I try the ifconfig command it keeps giving device not known type

Do you actually have the etherh module loaded?  Also can you post the exact 
error you get (and the command you typed).

p.

---

From: Chris Sawer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 18:43:21 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>

> with Chris sawer's config.guess file. So, if anybody has any ideas/lights,

I've actually removed the config.guess from my website now, as it's probably
easier (and more accurate) to use ./configure --host=arm-linux-gnuaout or
whatever. I should put this in the hints and tips section, really. This may
help compiling your program - if you do get it working then please let us
know as I wouldn't mind Java on my system.

Chris

-- 
  Chris Sawer - Worthing, Sussex, England
    http://members.xoom.com/chrissawer/
E-Mail: [email-masked],  ICQ: 15010147
    PGP public key available on request
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Paul Vigay <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 19:10:50 +0100

In article <[email-masked]>,

> error you get (and the command you typed).

Well, I've got a bit further now. I did have the module loaded. I tried a
modprobe etherh and it came up with a line of parameters etc and seemed to
recognise it ok. I then tried the ifconfig eth0 10.1.1.51 and no error was
given. 

However, I still cannot ping my other machines. It just returns "Network
unreachable" errors. Any ideas would be appreciated.

regards,

-----------------------------------ooO-(_)-Ooo---------------------------

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing; seize the day, put no trust in the future.
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 22:36:45 +0100 (BST)

> to get it working with my ethernet card.

You need to use 'insmod /lib/modules/2.0.35/net/etherh.o' to insert the module
into the running kernel first.  If this failes, could you please send a copy
of the errors, and a copy of the first few lines of kernel messages (found
in /var/log/syslog I think).
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Robert A Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 23:31:37 +0100 (BST)

> unreachable" errors. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Have you set up the routing table?  Can you ping 127.0.0.1 and 10.1.1.51?

-- 
Robert A Fox

---

From: Robert A Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 23:31:37 +0100 (BST)

-- 
Robert A Fox

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 23:45:34 +0100

>unreachable" errors. Any ideas would be appreciated.

You haven't set up a route to your network.

# route add -net n.n.n.n dev eth0

p.

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 23:45:34 +0100

p.

---

From: Paul Vigay <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 14:18:39 +0100

In article <[email-masked]>,

> in /var/log/syslog I think).

Thanks. I've now got it working (well, I can ping my other machines ok).
Before the insmod etherh.o worked though I had to insmod a couple of the
other modules in the same directory as etherh.o (9830.o and something else -
can't remember the names offhand).

I then did a modprobe etherh followed by the relevant ifconfig and route add
commands.

I edited one of the sysconfig files to include these commands so that
networking is enabled when I boot into ArmLinux, but I was wondering if there
is a 'correct' file somewhere that I should edit. I've actually just bunged
them in /etc/rc.d/init.d/network (I think, but without booting into Linux I
can't remember). Is this correct, or should I set the networking up in a
different file?

regards,
Paul

-----------------------------------ooO-(_)-Ooo---------------------------

51 Things to do in a lift: 33. When the lift is silent, look around and ask "is that your beeper?"
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Paul Vigay <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 19:52:04 +0100

On 09 Oct, Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Personally, I can never figure out where any RedHat thing is meant to go.
> I just stuck mine in the same file that the fpem is loaded in.  If it's
> working for you, then don't worry where you put it.  By the way, if you
> want to check your Linux stuff from RISC OS, then I can recommend IscaFS
> by Phil Norman with additional hacks from myself.  You can fetch
> it from ftp://ftp.barnet.ac.uk/pub/Acorn/armlinux/iscafs/iscafs.zip

Thanks. Incidentally, I did download a copy of this the other day but I
couldn't quite work out how to use it. I presume it's CLI driven as no icon
appears. Perhaps I'll have another look over the weekend.

..now to get ppp working so I can connect to the internet from Linux...!!
:-)

regards, and thanks again.
Paul

-- 
Paul Vigay                                               Acorn Programming,
                                         __\\|//__      Internet Consultancy
Web: http://www.matrix.clara.net         (` o-o ')          & Web Design
BBS: +44 (0)1705 871531 (ansi,8n1) -----ooO-(_)-Ooo--------------------------

No hesitation, no doubts. The path is clear.

---

From: Paul Vigay <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 19:52:04 +0100

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 22:02:13 +0200

> I then did a modprobe etherh followed by the relevant ifconfig and route add

The difference between insmod & modprobe is that modprobe will
load any modules which the loaded modules depends on - see
/lib/modules/2.0.35/modules.dep for an example.

-- 
Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
"I decry the current tendency to seek patents on algorithms.  There are
better ways to earn a living than to prevent other people from making use of
one's contributions to computer science."  -- Donald E. Knuth, TAoCP vol 3
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]