Subject: new tools

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 1998 22:36:30 +0100

Hi,

I put some new patches in vger.rutgers.edu:/pub/gcc/arm.  They're the ones 
with "981004" in the filenames.

1) a new patch against egcs-1.1b.  This adds support (sort of) for ELF on 
26-bit machines, has a half-baked implementation of -mapcs-float and various 
other bits and pieces.  You probably need the binutils patch below to make 
this work.  I'm planning to try to get at least some of this into the egcs 
mainline soon.

2) a new patch against binutils-2.9.1.0.14.  This also has changes for 26-bit 
ELF.  Also, the assembler now knows how to put flags into object files 
describing what sort of thing they are, so the linker can complain if you 
start trying to mix files with different calling conventions or the like.  
I also deleted aoutarm32.c.  Hopefully I managed to put all the a.out/PIC 
support into aout-arm.c first. :-)  Theoretically then this will work for 
NetBSD as well if anybody wants to try it.

3) a small patch against glibc (no version in particular).  The interesting 
bit of this is the signal.c change.  I'd like to hear opinions on it before I 
put it into the main sources.  The elf.h change is trivial and just included 
to make the patch look more impressive.

All this stuff is rampantly untested, so as usual you should be prepared for 
all manner of bad things to happen if you use it.

I did a bit of fiddling around to get the linker to delete some internal 
symbols from final objects.  They don't get taken out of object files because 
this turns out to be harder to arrange.  There is some problem with the 
assembler that results in a lot of spurious labels called "L0^A" or some such 
and these don't currently get deleted either.

If you build gcc as "armv2-linux" it should default to giving you the 26-bit 
ELF variant.  You can build binutils with that configuration too, it doesn't 
care.  Regardless of which variant you end up with as the default you can 
always select the other one with the -mapcs option to GCC; the tools are 
actually the same.  Note that 26-bit ELF probably doesn't actually work yet 
but a few people have made noises that implied they might be willing to play 
with it.

p.

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]