Subject: newbie - bad CRCs on some RedHat RPMs

From: Nigel Parker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 11:20:41 +0000 (GMT)

I used the Clan CD to install ARM Linux yesterday, but unfortunately some
of the RPMs had bad CRCs during unzipping.  One of them was the RedHat
Component (or Module?) Manager.

Is there an easy way to do a half re-install sort of thing.  A prog which
will check for installed components and attempt to install the missing
ones from a new set of RPMs (I'll download them off the ftp site this
time).

Knowing my luck the thing I need for this is the RCM which was not
installed due to error...

Any advice appreciated.

Nigel
-- 
Girton College, Cambridge, England, CB3 0JG.             Tel: 0411 384803

http://welcome.to/nigels                             [email-masked]

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 21:41:30 +0000 (GMT)

> ones from a new set of RPMs (I'll download them off the ftp site this

Aha, another IEE person! ;)

You don't have to give the installer all the RPMs in one go actually.
Obviously it is nicer if you can, but it is possible to give it only
one RPM.

You could try just unpacking the rpm-2.3-5a1.rpm and whichever others are
corrupted into the RedHat/RPMS directory.  When you re-run the installer,
tell it you want to install, but do not allow it to format your partition.

It will come up with a load of 'dne' errors, however you could cut down
on the 'comps' file before the installer reads it...
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Nigel Parker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 00:12:42 +0000 (GMT)

Thanks.

I actually did a full reinstall using the RPMs from the ftp site.  It all
works swimmingly now!

Now I need to know about configuring and admin stuff.  Can you recommend
some good web tutorials?  I'll check for links from www.arm.uk.linux.org
as well!

Cheers.
	Nigel

On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, Russell King - ARM Linux Admin wrote:

: Nigel Parker writes:
: > I used the Clan CD to install ARM Linux yesterday, but unfortunately some
: > of the RPMs had bad CRCs during unzipping.  One of them was the RedHat
: > Component (or Module?) Manager.
: > 
: > Is there an easy way to do a half re-install sort of thing.  A prog which
: > will check for installed components and attempt to install the missing
: > ones from a new set of RPMs (I'll download them off the ftp site this
: > time).
: 
: Aha, another IEE person! ;)
: 
: You don't have to give the installer all the RPMs in one go actually.
: Obviously it is nicer if you can, but it is possible to give it only
: one RPM.
: 
: You could try just unpacking the rpm-2.3-5a1.rpm and whichever others are
: corrupted into the RedHat/RPMS directory.  When you re-run the installer,
: tell it you want to install, but do not allow it to format your partition.
: 
: It will come up with a load of 'dne' errors, however you could cut down
: on the 'comps' file before the installer reads it...