Subject: fvwm

From: Martin Kaletsch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 15:39:28 +0200

During the last days I was fighting with fvwm and fvwm2 ;-)
They more or less work, but I just don't understand, where the
configuration files, which are used when there are non in the home dir,
are stored.
# man fvwm
tells me it ist in usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm (or fvwm2, same story).
But the system.fvwmrc files there are definitely not the ones used, as
far as I can see. The defined menus and the used ones are quite
different.
I hate it when a prog does something I don't understand. So: Where are
this standart configuration files?

-- 
Martin Kaletsch

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 21:30:29 +0100

>this standart configuration files?

In the place where you specified when you configured fvwm.  If you didn't, or 
they don't exist, I think fvwm (at least some versions of it) falls back on 
internal defaults.

You can use strace to find out exactly where it's looking, of course.

p.

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 00:47:47 +0200

> You can use strace to find out exactly where it's looking, of course.

I prefer using `strings' on binaries to find out this sort of information.
Grepping the output for `/' reduces the search space considerably, of course.

By the way, the fvwm-riscos I was demoing at Wakefield that various people
have asked me for is on a machine in England whch is turned off and sat in
a packing box, so I can't release it till I get home.  Sorry.

-- 
Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
"I decry the current tendency to seek patents on algorithms.  There are
better ways to earn a living than to prevent other people from making use of
one's contributions to computer science."  -- Donald E. Knuth, TAoCP vol 3
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Melanie Rhianna Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 00:31:18 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

> far as I can see. The defined menus and the used ones are quite

They're in /etc/X11.  You should look at .xinitrc & .Xclients both in your
home directory and put a .fvwmrc file there too.

> this standart configuration files?

This is the fault of RedHat who move files around and stuff and so the man
pages never tally with the actual situation.  This is why I now use
SlackWare on my intel box.

Melanie

-- 
=====================================================================
Melanie Rhianna Lewis                      [email-masked]
"An it hurt none, do what thou will"    http://www.defaid.demon.co.uk
         TLBB#2 TGMCC#1 - MZ125, X7 (Under re-construction) 
=====================================================================

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 10:08:47 +0100 (BST)

> SlackWare on my intel box.

I seem to remember (I can't find my FHS document) that the Linux FHS standard
says that the X11 configuration files are supposed to be in /etc/X11 (although
I'd tend to disagree).

If this is correct, then it's not RedHat who like to move configuration files
around but the people who define the filesystem layout standards...
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 19:22:00 +0200

> SlackWare on my intel box.

Ahem.  No distribution wars here, please!  Also bear in mind that the
RedHat-based distribution that Russell has made is rather out-of-date
with respect to new RedHat distributions.  Have patience, there's not
much longer to wait now.

---

From: Melanie Rhianna Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 20:20:36 +0100 (BST)

> with respect to new RedHat distributions.  Have patience, there's not

Sorry, it was not my intention to start one.  Incidentally, my actually
set up is base Slackware with bits of the Suse install.

Melanie

---

From: Melanie Rhianna Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 09:41:17 +0100 (BST)

> says that the X11 configuration files are supposed to be in /etc/X11 (although

I've sym-linked to there anyway 'cause that's what I'm used to (I used to
run Redhat 4.2).

Melanie