Subject: Partitioning problems

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 23:58:21 +0200

When I have a blank SyQuest 255 Mb cartridge and format it with SCSIManager
(Cumana) and make one partition on it for Linux, I can not create anything on
it with !Partman. What am I doing wrong or is there another application I can
use to create a partition?
TIA

-- 
 _      _                        ___                 ___
|_)irk |_)                        |                   |   |\ |
       |_)ollema                  |ilburg             |he | \|etherlands
========================================================================
=\       [email-masked] - [email-masked] - ICQ 15487376      /=
==\                Homepage http://www.dott.demon.nl/                /==
===\         Acorn RiscPC, StrongARM @202MHz - Intel Outside        /===
======================================================================== 
... I did it. I killed them all.
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 09:30:12 +0100 (BST)

> use to create a partition?

Which version of PartMan are you using?  Are you using a Cumana SCSI I or SCSI II
card?
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Peter Bell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 10:43:00 +0100

> use to create a partition?

I am no expert, but have been trying to go through the exercise of
getting Linux running on my SyJet, also connected to a Cumana SCSI2.

Firstly, Partman doesn't seem to want to know anything about the
cartridge unless you first put a Filecore partition on it.  The
Filecore partition can be very small, but it does need to be there -
so try creating a 1MB partition with SCSIManager before using Partman.

If Partman still fails to write the Linux partitions, it is because
you have specified too large a disc shape to Partman.  I made the
mistake of using the sector count returned by SCSIManager.  Don't do
this - Partman seems to get the sectors/track figure correct, but
doesn't get the cylinder count from the SCSI device.  Use SCSIManager
to get the cylinder count from the disc, and enter this into Partman.
If Partman fails to write the partition info to the disc, then try
again with a reduced cylinder count.

Having done all this you may find, as I have, that the Linux boot
image is not able to drive the Cumana SCSI2 card - reporting command
timeouts all over the place.

On the other hand, if anyone has been able to get Linux installed on
a device connected to a Cumana SCSI2 card, I would like to hear about
it.  I have had some correspondence with Russel King about this
problem but, so far, it is unresolved.

HTH.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Bell - [email-masked] - FourSquare Computing Ltd
5 Drome Path, Winnersh, Wokingham, Berkshire  RG41 5HB, UK.
Tel. +44 (0) 118 989 0982   Fax. +44 (0) 118 979 4639
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 19:39:24 +0200

> use to create a partition?
I created the partitions. First with SCSIDM I used section to create one
partition of 256 Mb and afterwards I used !SCSIManager of Cumana. Created one
partition of 2 Mb and one of 254 Mb. I also could create with !Partman the
partitions 230 Mb for Linux Native and 24 Mb for the Linux Swap.
Know I have the base sets on floppy disk (3) and can not access the drive at
least not with /dev/fd0 or /dev/fd1
How to continue now or do I need some other files?
TIA

... A seminar on Time Travel will be held two weeks ago