Subject: Acorn World '98

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 13:22:38 +0100

Hi.

It seems there will no longer be a linux-arm presence at the Acorn World '98
show, because there will be no such show.  Acorn are disbanding their
workstation division (reducing employee count from 175 to 100), cancelling
Phoebe (RiscPC II) and the Acorn World '98 show.

Phil
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Eduard Pfarr <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 15:48:36 +0200

»Phil Norman <[email-masked]>« schrieb in Artikel
<[email-masked]> folgendes:

> seems there will no longer be a linux-arm presence at the Acorn World '98

This really is very bad news. :-(  Where did all those computer pioners go?
Atari did bite the dust, then Amiga, now Acorn's Archimedes (call it RiscPC
or whatever in its latest incarnation). Wintel cartells all over the place.

What effects will this have on (Acorn-) ARM Linux? Hopefully none.

Hi to David Alan (Gilbert): You're right, there's the one true OS - Linux.

 Cheers,
 Eduard.

-- 
W3-Seite des Monats: http://www.javalobby.org
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Alex Holden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 15:07:04 +0100 (BST)

> Phoebe (RiscPC II) and the Acorn World '98 show.

Oh dear. I was surprised they kept going as long as they did really.
What is left of Acorn now then?

Best wishes, Alex.

--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :

---

From: James Craig <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 15:26:12 +0100 (BST)

> Phoebe (RiscPC II) and the Acorn World '98 show.
ERK???????
Um, www.acorn.com doesn't mention this one....
<checks watch, it's not April 1st>
Is this the end of acorn as we know it???? 

--
James Craig <[email-masked]>
            <[email-masked]>

---

From: David Alan Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 15:51:06 +0100

Eduard Pfarr wrote:
> 
> Phil Norman <[email-masked]> schrieb in Artikel

I seem to remember reading something about Acorn just having got a really
big contract for set top box stuff; I think RiscOS will survive but not
in as many obvious places.

> What effects will this have on (Acorn-) ARM Linux? Hopefully none.

None that I can think of.
 
> Hi to David Alan (Gilbert): You're right, there's the one true OS - Linux.

I think there is some chance for the RiscOS knowledgable to influence the
development
of GNOME etc in such a way that it can be taught to look and feel like RiscOS's
better
features; that wouldn't be a bad thing as far as I am concerned.

I wonder what Acorns position is on binary licensing RiscOS binaries? I have
an almost practical Archimedes emulator which I'm sure would become more
popular now that you soon won't be able to buy the real thing.

To those Acorn users that were thinking of buying a RiscPC2 then I suggest
that you have choices of quite a few StrongARM PCI systems, of which
the Corel Netwinder definitly scores nicely for geekness (in terms of
video in/out etc) - although no expandibility (and I think is
a lot less than the RiscPC2 was going to be).

Dave

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Dr. David Alan Gilbert - WARNING! This is a beta release .signature-
- Work:    dg @ cogency.co.uk        - +44-(0)161-428-9444           -
- Home:    gro.gilbert @ treblig.org -                               -
----------------------------------------------------------------------
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Alex Holden <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 17:10:36 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> development of GNOME etc in such a way that it can be taught to look and
> feel like RiscOS's better features; that wouldn't be a bad thing as far
> as I am concerned.

One of the best things about GNOME, GTK, and Enlightenment (IHMO) is
their configurability. Soon, virtually nothing "look and feel" related
will be compiled in- it is all stored in theme files. It shouldn't be
necessary to "influence the development of GNOME etc", as it is already
being designed in such a way that you can easily set it up to look and
feel however you want (a paradise for those who like to tinker about with
every aspect of their interface). Eventually, if someone creates a RiscOS
theme (or a MAC OS theme, or a W98 theme, or an Amiga theme...), you
should be able to just install it, set your environment variables to use
it, and magically your desktop will look and feel like a RiscOS one. 
Or perhaps you meant you wanted the default theme (the one it comes
configured with "out of the box") to be a RiscOS clone? I don't think that
would be such a big deal anyway, as it will be possible to switch themes
on demand at the click of a mouse, and people will just use whatever suits
them best anyway.

Best wishes, Alex.