Subject: Missing libraries

From: Rob Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 23:11:05 +0100

I've tried to compile chimera (www browser) and fvwm2, and
they complain about a missing library(s).  The screen
flashed by quickly, but from my memory they seemed to be
wanting the same thing.  One of the libraries was
errno.h.  Is this the ELF libraries I've heard about?
Are there libaries around that are not in the standard
archive - or that need fixing. 

I have also today managed to compile my own kernal, so I
do have a kernel source tree and libs on the system.
Please help.. I really would like a graphical www browser...
-- 
Rob Davis                OAC Ministries, British Registered Charity, 295432
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homepage: http://www.oac.u-net.com    Mobile: 0973 359577 (SMS welcome)
[email-masked] or [email-masked] to phone

* The box said "For Windows 95 or better", so I'm using an Acorn. *
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 03:31:06 +0200

> archive - or that need fixing. 

With such a vague report, there's very little anyone can do to help
diagnose the problem.  Use make >make.out 2>&1 to redirect the output
to `make.out', then you will see the exact problem.  Note that under
no circumstances should you simply send this file to the mailing list
as you will annoy several people.  Attempt to track down the problem a
little bit by yourself first, and only then ask here.  Generally only
one file will be useful.

-- 
Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
"I decry the current tendency to seek patents on algorithms.  There are
better ways to earn a living than to prevent other people from making use of
one's contributions to computer science."  -- Donald E. Knuth, TAoCP vol 3
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 09:32:51 +0100 (BST)

> errno.h.  Is this the ELF libraries I've heard about?

No.

> Please help.. I really would like a graphical www browser...

Have you symlinked your linux kernel include/linux, include/scsi and
include/asm into /usr/include?  If not, please try reading the Linux
kernel README around line 79.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
 --------------------- Email-relevent MINI FAQ ----------------------
 Installer keys   : ALT-F1 installer, ALT-F2 shell, ALT-F3 installer
                    messages, ALT-F4 kernel messages
 Ether3/B problems: try latest 2.0.34 kernel and root disk.
 --------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Rob Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 13:13:08 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>

> kernel README around line 79.

Yes... But I think this is the source of the problem.  It is statically
linked, but the libraries it's complaining about are the ones linked.

An example error:-

In file included from port_after.h:26,
                 from snprintf.c:45:
/usr/include/sys/types.h:4: linux/types.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [snprintf.o] Error 1

I think it's a problem with the paths..
I have added /usr/include to my $PATH, but that still didn't work.
This is probably something fairly basic..

The commands I used to statically link were

ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux/ /usr/include
ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/asm/ /usr/include
ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/scsi/ /usr/include

---

From: Rob Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 23:39:13 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>
          Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > errno.h. 

Thanks for your help today.  In the end I deleted the links I
had and redid them.. Worked fine then.  I still couldn't get
chimera to compile though.. I'll have a closer look later.
I did get fvwm2 to work though, so I'm happy for the moment.
(Not that I know anything about it.. Just happy to be getting
something working...)
-- 
Rob Davis                OAC Ministries, British Registered Charity, 295432
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homepage: http://www.oac.u-net.com    Mobile: 0973 359577 (SMS welcome)
[email-masked] or [email-masked] to phone

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 09:35:23 +0100 (BST)

> (Not that I know anything about it.. Just happy to be getting

Which version of Chimera are you trying to build?  The latest 2.1 version
should compile, whereas the 2.0 versions don't contain any ARM patches.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]