Subject: loadmap problem.

From: Linux mailing list <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 11:01:02 +0100

Hi!

I am sorry to bring the whole magic number thing up again but I have read all
the info and FAQ etc. and I still can't fix it. When I boot in using 

!Linux -bootkernel Linux.kernel

and extra args.  root=/dev/hda3

I log in as root

but when I type loadmap I get a "no such file or directory" when it tries to
load the root device.

I created the boot.conf as per FAQ Q6 and it is just set to /dev/hda3 which
should be my root.

Can anyone tell me what the problem is

Also, is there any way of stopping fsck from trying to parallelize my filing
system every time I boot. It now keeps asking me if I want to continue
because the drive is mounted.

Thanks

Daniel

-- 

... Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Rob Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 12:16:32 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>
          Linux mailing list <[email-masked]> wrote:

> but when I type loadmap I get a "no such file or directory" when it tries
> to load the root device.
> 

You need to do a symbolic link from /dev/hda3 to /dev/root then the loadmap
-v command.

(It's the blurb under the notes in the faq..  I fell for this one too.)

(Russel - Can you put the line in on the faq above the loadmap -v command
with a note saying not to worry if it throws up an error saying it's
already linked? - It'll be more intuitive then.)

-- 
Rob Davis                OAC Ministries, British Registered Charity, 295432
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homepage: http://www.oac.u-net.com    Mobile: 0973 359577 (SMS welcome)
[email-masked] or [email-masked] to phone

* The box said "For Windows 95 or better", so I'm using an Acorn. *
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 12:34:35 +0100 (BST)

> I created the boot.conf as per FAQ Q6 and it is just set to /dev/hda3 which

Can you post your /etc/boot.conf file please?

> because the drive is mounted.

Give the 'ro' argument as well in the loader.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]