Subject: Installing ARM-Linux on an A440/1

From: Robert A Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 16:13:29 +0100 (BST)

I have an Acorn A440/1 that I am trying to install ARM-Linux on.  I have
downloaded a kernel from www.treblig.demon.co.uk, and I have built a root
filesystem for it on a partition on an Intel Linux computer, and exported
it using NFS.

I can load and run the kernel with the correct root, nfsroot and nfsaddrs
parameters to make it access the root partition on the PC, but immediately
after the 'VFS: mounted root' message, it prints the error message:

	init: memory violation PC=0xa0c00470 LR=0xa000bb24 (Bad
address=0x00c00470, code 5)

This is printed over and over until the computer is rebooted, and there is
constant network activity that tcpdump reports as 'nfs lookup'.

I have tried using 'init=/bin/ash' to bypass init but the problem 
persists, only now LR=0x00c00470.  If I try init='/sbin/init -b' no error
message is printed, but the network activity remains.

I have the SCSI hard disk partitioned using scsidm, as 100MB for RISC OS
(sda1) and ~900MB for Linux, of which almost all will be for the root
partition (sda3), and 32MB will be for swap (sda4).  I cannot run mke2fs 
and mkswap to initialise the Linux partitions.  I assume that the problem
is that I have 4MB of RAM and no swap space.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks

Robert

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]