Subject: Compiling related stuff...

From: Andrew Miles <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 14:20:15 +0000 (GMT)

I've a feeling all of these questions have been asked and answered before on
this group, but reading all the other postings has left me with informational
overload, so I apologize in advance to given readers of this mailing list
'deja vu'.

I'm running ARMLinux on a SA-RiscPC with Linux 2.0.35, installed with all the
RPMS from the ARMLinux site.  I've recently acquired a RedHat 5.1 SRPMS CD and
as the current set of RPMS is rather outdated/missing lots of useful stuff I
wanted to install the new set.  Quite a lot of stuff actually compiles first
time (configure is marvelous), I've got AfterStep working which I thought was 
really impressive.

However, a number of sources complained that they were missing libraries
(libg++ was a classic) or the libraries were out of date.  So I decided that
a sensible move would be to install the libraries first.  This is where
problems arose.  The main trouble occurs when creating shared libraries which
results in a screenful of error messages.  There don't seem to be any shared
libraries in /lib so is the current system capable of creating/using shared
libraries?

Secondly, when compiling the big sources I get 'virtual memory exhausted'
which I'm informed is due to aout libraries not being able to address over a
certain size, and the solution to this is to use ELF.  I've noticed that
something called glib-2.0.95-bin has been released.  What exactly does this do,
will this let me compile via ELF?

In short this whole posting could be summarised with the following question:

If I want to compile things that need shared library support/ELF can
I do it?  If so, what do I need to download and how do I install it?

Thanks for your time

Andrew
-- 
Andrew Miles

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Stefan Hanske <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 19:19:36 +0200 (METDST)

> I do it?  If so, what do I need to download and how do I install it?

You can compile gcc & binutils statically linked (esp. the programs cc1, 
cc1plus, ld, ar, ranlib) which will then use as much memory as there's 
free on the machine (I've tried it with c++-sources, for which to compile 
cc1plus wanted ~25MB of RAM). If you're missing some libraries, get the 
sources and try to compile them. This will be static libraries in 99% 
since a.out-binary format is nearly dead.

Switching to ELF is probably not the best idea since you have to compile 
everything again (gcc, binutils, libs, ...) which is quite a lot of work 
and takes time / disc space. And last but not least there're not all the 
sources available you might need (ie. X11 for ARM).

----------------------------------------------------------
|mailto: Stefan Hanske ([email-masked] |
|WWW : http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~shanske      |
|phone: I'm not silly                                    |
|--------------------------------------------------------|
| And don't forget to remember what you remembered not   |
| to forget to remember...				 |
----------------------------------------------------------