Subject: Installation problems

From: Mark Seaborn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 19:48:28 +0100 (BST)

Yet another person trying to install ARM Linux and having problems, I'm
afraid.

First of all, which set of instructions should I be following?  Presumably
the INSTALL file from the ftp site.

I've also got a copy of the guide posted here by Jan Magnussen.  However,
this says things like `mknod /dev/hda3 b 3 3', which I wouldn't imagine
would work with my ICS IDE interface.  It seems that these instructions aim
at getting around the 77 file Filecore limit on RPMs in a directory, so
presumably if go by the INSTALL file and then install the non-essentials
later in batches I should be okay.

Anyway, I've got my hard disc partitioned.  I can boot Linux; both discs are
read in okay.

The first warning sign comes after selecting the swap partition.  The Alt-F3
screens shows:

 * mkswap: warning: truncating hdc6 to 130752 kB, 32688 bad pages
 * mkswap: first page unreadable

which is odd, since the swap partition is only 22 Mb.  Is this warning a
problem?

After this, the install program scans the RPMs.  This brings up a list of
warnings one of the other screens, roughly of the form `* ADFS - fs error
(device 16:01): adfs_map_lookup, fragment X at offset Y not found in map'.

The installer carries on after this.  I select format hdc7 and check for bad
blocks.  At the next part, I select install everything and `select available
packages'.

After this, if I select something at the `select group' window, the
installer prints `rebooting' and the other screen says `* install2: memory
violation at...'.

On the other hand, if I don't try to select a group, and just continue, the
installer carries on but then gives an error in a window, `mount failed:
invalid argument' after creating an ext2 filing system on hdc7.  I get the
option to try again, but it does the same.

This is on a StrongARM Risc PC with ICS IDE interface and a 6.3 Gb hard disc
containing 5 Filecore partitions besides the two Linux ones.

Any ideas what is going wrong?  Thanks in advance for any help.

-- 
         Mark Seaborn
  - [email-masked] - http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/mseaborn/ -
 
             What sort of person uses the word ``diskette''?

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]