Subject: armlinux install problems on my SA-RPC

From: Mark Lovell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 11:06:14 +1200 (NZST)

Hiya,

I would be appreciative of any assistance anyone could give me with my
(currently unsuccessful) armlinux installation on my StrongARM RiscPC. 

I have followed the instructions on www.arm.uk.linux.org pretty much to
the letter (at least my interpretation of the instructions...  ;) and have
been able to boot into Linux with no problem right up to the point of
selecting source media. (NFS/CD/Hard Disk etc)

We have a LAN with a PC linux box containing the RedHat heirarchy
(RPMS/base/instimage) mirrored from arm.uk.linux.org so I attempted first
an FTP then an NFS install. I tried all of Ether H, Ether 1 and Ether 3
for my network card but all failed with a message something along the
lines of "device not detected in system".  My network card is an AEH78
(i-cubed co-ax/UTP combo card)

The kernel boot messages show my expansion card being detected, card 8,
i-cubed ethernet, hardware address details etc, however the install
program isn't detecting it and aborts with the "device not detected in
system" error message. 

The next thing I tried was tarring up the RPMS/base/instimage folders on 
the PC Linux box and dumping it on my adfs partition.  Scrounging
through the rpm files cpio provided me with tar so I then
mke2fs'ed hdb3 (my linux native partition I created with !PartMan
on my second IDE drive) and untarred the RedHat heirarchy onto
hdb3.  All sweet so far.

I then try a hard drive install, now I am getting the message "Device hdb3
does not appear to contain a Red Hat installation tree"

Having spent a few days on this now hacking round with this and that,
abuse starts to flow freely.  Trawled the web I found instimage apparently
likes to be in two places (RedHat, and also up one directory) so did that,
but still this persistent "Device hdb3 does not appear to contain a Red
Hat installation tree".  The directory on hdb3 I tried were "", "/", and
"RedHat", and "/RedHat", and "RedHat/" and "/RedHat/"

I stumbled across some interesting symlinks in /tmp showing me what the
install proggy is trying to do, mounting /tmp/hdb3 onto /tmp/hdimage, but
without the ln/cp/mv etc had trouble progressing much further by trying to
fool the installer into getting its act together. 

Heres where I hope you can help!

a) any ideas why my 600A network card (which according to arm.uk.linux.org
is supported), isn't detected by the installer program (tried Ether 1,
Ether 3 and Ether H, with both the co-ax and UTP interfaces...  :-( ) 

b) and ideas why although I have RedHat/base, RedHat/RPMS and
RedHat/instimage (and a copy in RedHat/../instimage, ie.  instimage)
directories on my linux native partition the installer program refuses to
see them?

Help!  before I lose all my hair!  ;)

Many thanks and kindest regards,
Mark

-- 
Mark Lovell                                   
Cave Rock Software Ltd / Cave Rock Internet         0800 GETONLINE
Phone: +64 3 3664242 (0800 438665)              Fax: +64 3 3665478           
Unit 1a 492 Moorhouse Ave, PO Box 22488, Christchurch, New Zealand

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]