Subject: Re: Using 2.1.x kernels (fwd)

From: Richard Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 17:39:32 +0100 (GMT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: "Andrew E. Mileski" <[email-masked]>
> To: Richard Simpson <[email-masked]>

> Richard Simpson wrote:
>> In short, I am looking for a step by step guide to getting a 2.1 kernel
>> running on my RiscPC.

> I must be a dolt, 'cause I can't figure out why you would
> post a RiscPC question to an ARM mailing list.  Surely there
> is a RiscPC mailing list?
> --
> Andrew E. Mileski

Well, it is clear to me that one of us must indeed be a "dolt".  I had
assumed that the "Arm Linux Mailing List" (to which I have subscribed for
some time) would be precisely the right place to ask a question about
running Linux on my Arm based RiscPC.

If not, then I freely admit to being the "dolt" and apologise for wasting
everyone's time.  Could someone please point me to the correct mailing
list.

Thank you,
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Richard Simpson
Farnborough, Hants, Uk                 Fax: 01252 392976
[email-masked]

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 18:10:03 +0100 (BST)

Richard Simpson
> > is a RiscPC mailing list?

No, there isn't.

> running Linux on my Arm based RiscPC.

It is.

> everyone's time.  Could someone please point me to the correct mailing

However, would those people on this list who don't use Acorns prefer it
if Acorn specific stuff were on a different list?  Mail me directly if so,
I'll wait 1 week and report the result.  Actually, people using Acorns
probably ought to have a vote too.. hmm, answer Y or N to the following
two questions:

New List: 
Acorn owner: 

-- 
Set Alias$Case Set Alias$[ |||| |MSet Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ \ Matthew
"" |MSet Alias$When If %0=%%0 Then Set Alias$[ "" ||MIf %0=%%0    \ Wilcox
Then Set Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ |||||||||||||||| ||MIf       \
%0=%%0 Then Set Alias$When Set Alias$[ ||||||||||||||||
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: David Alan Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 18:14:26 +0100

> running Linux on my Arm based RiscPC.

Excuse me guys - please put out the flame war before it starts. Thank you.

> everyone's time.  Could someone please point me to the correct mailing

Your on the right mailing list - and someone will probably shortly get
round to telling you how difficult it is to build 2.1.x kernels - my
advice? Wait a month or so.

Anyway, the 'understanding' problem we seem to be having here is that
the ARM is known world round, but the RiscPC is known in a small corner
of the western spiral arm* of Europe known as the UK - and very few places
else. 

Up until a few months ago 90% of the people on this list were
probably Acorn users using a RiscPC, A5000 or some piece of Acorn
kit with an ARM in it.  Recently we are seeing people with Corel
Netwinders, obscure development cards, and ARM powered shoelaces
asking about Linux.

So as I say - kill the flames.

Dave

* - Will ARM be making a spiral ARM ? 
-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Dr. David Alan Gilbert - WARNING! This is a beta release .signature-
- Work:    dg @ cogency.co.uk        - +44-(0)161-428-9444           -
- Home:    gro.gilbert @ treblig.org -                               -
----------------------------------------------------------------------
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 19:18:11 +0100 (BST)

> Excuse me guys - please put out the flame war before it starts. Thank you.

Official reply by list owner (me):

The [email-masked] list is for all users and developers of ARM Linux,
no matter what machines it runs on, be it Netwinders, RiscPCs, A5000s or whatever.
No one dictates what gets discussed here, except that I shall do my best to keep
the subject to ARM Linux.

What I will not tolerate on this list is any attempt to cause friction between
any of the user groups.  We should be able to co-exist without these problems.

I shall be considering updating the mailing list intro and info so that it is
more explicit exactly what subject area this list covers.

PS, this thread ends here.  No flame wars, right!
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: "Andrew E. Mileski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 14:35:24 -0400

> > > is a RiscPC mailing list?

I could have sworn I sent this privately to Richard :(
As I was unsure - yes, it turns out I'm the dolt.

Anyways, my confusion has been cleared up.  I was thinking
PowerPC.

---

From: Richard Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 11:18:19 +0100 (GMT)

> any of the user groups.  We should be able to co-exist without these problems.

I am sorry if anyone thought that I was trying to cause trouble.  I
forwarded Mr Mileski's message because I was concerned that I might have
lost track of what was going on and posted to the wrong group.  I am glad
that the confusion has now been resolved. 

My answers to the survey are:
Separate lists:  No
Acorn user:      Yes

**************************************************************************
Now, is there any chance that anyone could have a go at answering the
original question?
**************************************************************************

Thank you,

Richard Simpson

---

From: David Alan Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 11:42:13 +0100

Richard Simpson wrote:

OK - 2.1.x kernels; they can be compiled with a modified compiler
(the address of the Patches gets posted every so often), but at
the moment there is no standard floating point emulator module
that will work on all 2.1.x kernels; this means that you can't
run things like 'bash' (you can get away with 'ash').

Russ is working on this and will probably have something out soon,
and the compilers are all getting stable, and the 2.1's are settling
down a bit as well.

So my original advice stands; sit back and wait for a floating point
emulator module and the other bits and bobs getting moderatly
stable.

Dave

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 11:55:39 +0100

>run things like 'bash' (you can get away with 'ash').

If you're prepared to use the soft float library and compile your own binaries 
you can run bash.  Unfortunately my efforts to get libfloat going as an ELF 
shared library seem to have hosed things completely at the moment.

p.

---

From: Shaleh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 12:29:07 -0400

Why does bash need floats?  I missed that one.
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]