Subject: Installing from zip

From: Kevin Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 23:47:47 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

I have all the RedHat/ARMlinux install sets on a dos zip disc, and I have a
scsi zip drive on my RiscPC.

Is it possible to install straight from this? (if not, what would be the
easiest way to install?)

I tried to have a quick play using the supplementary install disc, but the
machine hangs at the end of loading the supp. disc.

cheers,

k.
-- 
Kevin Page - mailto:[email-masked]
It wasn't my fault, the big boy did it and ran away....

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Stefan Hanske <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 16:03:34 +0200 (METDST)

> machine hangs at the end of loading the supp. disc.

It should work straight away if the scsi controller is known to linux,
meaning that there is a driver. There should be a partition named
/dev/sda4 (that's the one for ppa drives) containing the distribution.

----------------------------------------------------------
|mailto: Stefan Hanske ([email-masked] |
|WWW : http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~shanske      |
|phone: I'm not silly                                    |
|--------------------------------------------------------|
| And don't forget to remember what you remembered not   |
| to forget to remember...				 |
----------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Kevin Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 20:14:57 +0100 (BST)

> /dev/sda4 (that's the one for ppa drives) containing the distribution.

The cumana scsiII is detected on boot up (but doesn't find any devices?).
I've now got the supplemental image loaded (my old copy was corrupted on
download :-/ ), but when I go to load the module after the supplemental
disk is loaded, the device 'cannot be found on this system'.

I presume this is where I specify my scsi card so that I can then access the
zip drive as you suggest. Any ideas why this isn't working?

cheers,

k.

P.S. It would be useful if the installation notes mentioned that you need to
be in a lower colour mode when linux is booted ;)
-- 
Kevin Page - mailto:[email-masked]
It wasn't my fault, the big boy did it and ran away....

---

From: Stefan Hanske <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 17:41:11 +0200 (METDST)

> zip drive as you suggest. Any ideas why this isn't working?

This might be because the cumana scsi II driver was just finished a few
days ago. Maybe you should wait a few days  to see if there is a new
kernel on the ftp site which might contain the new driver.
Since the driver seems to be in the kernel, it detects the card at boot up
and claims it, so if you load a module afterwards, it won't be able to
find any more cumana 2 cards.

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 17:52:01 +0100 (BST)

Stefan Hanske writes:
> days ago.

I thought that it was more like a few weeks ago ;).

Anyway, down to business.  Near the start of the kernel messages, you
get a few lines similar to:

 0: [0000:0000] Cumana SCSI interface

These messages do not mean that the card is detected.  What it means is that
the Linux expansion card manager has recognised that there is indeed a card
plugged into this slot.  The information that is given (in order) is:
  - 0:		Slot number
  - [0000:	Manufacturer number
  - 0000]	Product number
  - Cumana ...	Expansion card description

Now, when loading the driver from the disk, one of the first things that
happens is that the driver asks the expansion card manager 'Are there
any cards in the system with these specific Manufacturer and Product IDs?'

If a match is found, then the driver will be told 'there is a card in slot
0 with IRQ x and base address y'.

So, what I'd like to find from yourself is what these manufacturer and
product IDs are for your particular card.  They should be:

 003a:003a - This is Cumana SCSI II's allocated IDs.

If, however, you see the IDs 005b:xxxx, then you've probably got a PowerROM
fitted to your card (and I'm going to do mad in that case).

Either way, let me have the exact numbers that are being displayed by
the Linux kernel, and we'll see what we can come up with.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Kevin Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 1998 22:53:45 +0100 (BST)

>  0: [0000:0000] Cumana SCSI interface
[snip about expansion card manager]
> the Linux kernel, and we'll see what we can come up with.

Okay, on boot, the kernel reports:

	Installed expansion cards:
	0: [003A:003A] SCSI-2 & CDFS Expansion Card
	.
	.
	later
	.
	.
	scsi: 0 hosts.
	scsi: detected total.
	.
(don't know if that last bits really relevant)

I then say I wish to install from HDD, load the supplementary disk, and
answer 'yes' to 'do I have any scsi adapters'.
I then select Cumana2, but 'I can't find the device anywhere on your system'
for autoprobe, and term={0,1} (thought I might as well try them all).

On the ALT-F3 console there is something like the following:

	* second stage install running (version 1.0)
	* /proc/scsi/scsi: Attached devices: none.
	* no scsi devices are available
	
.....and the the insmod for the cumana2 module fails for the various
settings.

Hope this may be of some help.

For reference, *devices at the scsi command prompt under RiscOS gives:
Device Type              Size        Vendor   Product          Rev 
000    Direct-access      507 MBytes FUJITSU  M2684S-512       2039
005    Direct-access     Unknown     IOMEGA   ZIP 100          E.03
007    Host                          CUMANA   SCSI Interface   2.08

Thanks for your help,

cheers,

k.