Subject: Linux networking on RPC

From: Robin Cull <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 15:42:34 +0100 (BST)

Can anybody help me....!!

I have just installed linux for the first time, fetching the packages
from the arm-linux site by FTP during installation - but now networking
does not work.  During boot i get the message "delaying eth0 
initialization".  I have been told the kernel i'm running doesn't support
etherH (the driver i need) is this true??  I belive i'm running the 
pre-compiled rpc kernel 1) how can i check this , 2) I currnetly have to
boot linux using the bootkernel switch for !linux & entering 
root=/dev/hda3   Yes i have read the FAQ's - and have run loadmap, it 
reported "tables updated ok" or something like that.  The error i get
running !linux with no switches is :-

*** assertion failed: ldr !=NULL, file c.ldr line 148

and in a RISCOS error box:-

Postmortem
39db7c0 in shared library function
39db864 in shared library function
39dd798 in shared library function
a600 in anonymous function
ab38 in anonymous function
39fac inunknown procedure

Any help muchly appreciated  :)

Thanks
DaveB

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 16:20:05 +0100 (BST)

Robin Cull
> etherH (the driver i need) is this true??

The prebuilt kernel does not have support for etherh built in - but it
does have support for etherh built as a module.  this is in the modules
package adjacent to the kernel on the ftp site.  Use modprobe to load the
etherh module (it depends on the 8390 module) and then use ifconfig to
get it working.  Personally, I use a modprobe just before the ifconfig
statement in /etc/rc.d/rc.network, iirc.

>I belive i'm running the 

Hmm... which version of RISC OS are you running?  And which version
of !Linux?  I believe this is the behaviour I saw when using RISC OS
3.5 instead of 3.7..

-- 
Set Alias$Case Set Alias$[ |||| |MSet Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ \ Matthew
"" |MSet Alias$When If %0=%%0 Then Set Alias$[ "" ||MIf %0=%%0    \ Wilcox
Then Set Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ |||||||||||||||| ||MIf       \
%0=%%0 Then Set Alias$When Set Alias$[ ||||||||||||||||
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 19:51:02 +0100 (BST)

> Can anybody help me....!!

We'll try to, but we'll need some extra information.  Have a look at
my problem report form on my web pages, fill it out, and hit Send.

> initialization".

This can be for a variety of reasons.  It could be that it hasn't recognised
your card, or that the module can't be found.

> I have been told the kernel i'm running doesn't support etherH (the
> driver i need) is this true??

Linux certainly does support EtherH, however there are many different
versions around - they all go by the generic name 'EtherH'.  Some examples
are (with or without an 'A' suffix):

		EtherLan 600 / EtherLan 500 / EtherLan 200

Only EtherLan 600 is known to work properly (I use one every day of the year,
except when I'm on holiday), and an EtherLan 500 may work (still waiting to 
hear success/failure stories on that one).

> I belive i'm running the pre-compiled rpc kernel 1) how can i check this,

When the kernel boots, and you log in, you should find a file /var/log/dmesg.
These are the kernel messages issued while it was booting.  You should see in
there a line similar to:

Linux version 2.0.34 (src@raistlin) (gcc version 2.7.2.2) #4 Sat Jun 6 18:26:34 BST 1998
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^ this is the important bit.

If it says src@raistlin, then it is one of my kernels.  The date should give a
clue to which kernel it is.

> 2) I currnetly have to boot linux using the bootkernel switch for !linux &
> entering root=/dev/hda3   Yes i have read the FAQ's - and have run loadmap,
> it reported "tables updated ok" or something like that.  The error i get

Which version of !linux are you using?  It's displayed with the menu.  Can you
mail the contents of your /etc/boot.conf file please, as well as the !Linux
configuration file - this should be in either !Linux or in
!Boot.Choices.Linux.Config.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |