Subject: Trouble Installing ARM Linux

From: Sam Ellis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 10:04:43 +0100 (BST)

Hi, I've had a number of problems when installing ARM Linux.

Firstly, I've partitioned my hard drive using Partman 1.11, and am using
what I beleive to be the latest kernel files etc.

When linux is started using the -bootkernel argument, it gets stuck after
noticing the CD-ROM drive. The CDROM drive is connected as a slave on 
the RiscPCs built-in IDE bus. Linux prints:

 hda: ST34342A, 4103MB w/128kB Cache, CHS=8894/15/63
 hdb: MATSHITA CR0584, ATAPI CDROM drive

Then nothing else occurs, and the cursor stops flashing.

When I unplug the CDROM from the IDE bus, Linux has no troubles, and I
successfully manage to get to the RedHat installer.

However, Linux doesn't seems to have found the partitions on the hard
drive. RedHat reports that there is no swap file, and using the 'p' option
in fdisk lists no partition whatsoever - not even the filecore one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sam Ellis.

Department of Electronics & Computer Science
University of Southampton

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 17:57:41 +0100 (BST)

Sam Ellis
> in fdisk lists no partition whatsoever - not even the filecore one.

`fdisk' doesn't work.  Boot back to RISC OS and tell us what partitions
you set up with partman.  In particular, we need to know things like
sizes, and partition numbers.

-- 
Set Alias$Case Set Alias$[ |||| |MSet Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ \ Matthew
"" |MSet Alias$When If %0=%%0 Then Set Alias$[ "" ||MIf %0=%%0    \ Wilcox
Then Set Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ |||||||||||||||| ||MIf       \
%0=%%0 Then Set Alias$When Set Alias$[ ||||||||||||||||
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 17:50:15 +0100 (BST)

Sam Ellis
> successfully manage to get to the RedHat installer.

Ook.  This is the second bug report about CD ROM drives causing hangs on
boot.  dkscully, what manufacturer was your CD-ROM drive?

---

From: [email-masked] (JJF)
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 18:14:30 +0100

In a message sent at Wed, 1 Jul 1998 10:04:43 +0100 (BST),

> successfully manage to get to the RedHat installer.

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem with the CDROM drive, so if anyone
who knows the answer could Cc it to me, I'd be very grateful, as I have a
second slice and unplugging the CDROM drive is _very_ fiddly.

Thankfully, after waiting the last six months to get my second hard disc
working, now I've got enough disc space it's only taken me one day to install
Linux, and pretty painless it was too!  My sincerest thankings to everyone
involved in writing the documentation that allowed even a complete dummy like
me to get it working.

Cheers,

JJF.

---

From: Dana K Scully <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 18:58:20 +0100

> boot.  dkscully, what manufacturer was your CD-ROM drive?

This is the indeed the one, Matthew.

* 90% of everything is crud.
-- 
 |        |\/|         / BSc (Hons) Chemistry (So'ton), ZFC A (Sc)
 |__esley |  |itchell / [email-masked]
 
 A woman of many talents. :)
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Dana K Scully <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 18:55:00 +0100

>  hdb: MATSHITA CR0584, ATAPI CDROM drive

This is the same CD drive that has been causing me to loose hair.  I
suspect that it must be the drive.

Evil.

L

* You can't get to Heaven on roller skates.
-- 
 |        |\/|         / BSc (Hons) Chemistry (So'ton), ZFC A (Sc)
 |__esley |  |itchell / [email-masked]

---

From: Dana K Scully <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 15:05:51 +0100

> Evil.

OK, so I lied... my drive is actually a MATSHITA CR-585, ATAPI CDROM drive.

* The plural of spouse is spice.
-- 
 |        |\/|         / BSc (Hons) Chemistry (So'ton), ZFC A (Sc)
 |__esley |  |itchell / [email-masked]

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 17:50:17 +0100 (BST)

Dana K Scully
> OK, so I lied... my drive is actually a MATSHITA CR-585, ATAPI CDROM drive.

Right, so same manufacturer and similar model numbers.  The thick
plottens.  Can any of you try either of these drive models in a PC
running Linux, so we can attempt to narrow this down to being architecture
specific or independent?

---

From: Dana K Scully <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 21:00:50 +0100

On 02 Jul, Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]> wrote:
[snippity my bit]
> running Linux, so we can attempt to narrow this down to being
> architecture specific or independent?

I'm going to do exactly that this w/e. :)

L

* Eureka!

---

From: Sam Ellis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 13:25:30 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 1 Jul 1998, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

> > drive. RedHat reports that there is no swap file
> 
> Boot back to RISC OS and tell us what partitions

Ok, PartMan reports:
  
  Part    Start      End    Size          Type
     1        0  4630499  2261MB      Filecore
     2  4630500  4630501     1KB   Linux Table
     3  4630502  8316944  1800MB  Linux Native
     4  8316945  8404829    43MB    Linux Swap

This is exactly the same as when I partitioned the drive, so I think
PartMan works correctly.

Here is some futher info. about what happens when RedHat tries to install:

 Installer asks which device to install from. I answer 'hard disk'.
 Installer asks me to choose a hard disk. There is only one choice:
   /dev/hda   #
 which I select. Installer then says that there is no swap space defined,
 and would I like to 'Continue' or 'Cancel'. I select 'Continue', and the
 message 'rebooting' appears.

 Pressing ALT-F4 at this point reveals:

   Partition check:
     hda: [ADFS] hda1 [Linux] hda2 < hda 3 hda4 >

   [snip]

   FPEmulator
     copyright.....

   install2: memory violation at pc=0x00034368, lr=0x80036b68 (bad
                                             address=0x00000014, code 3)

Sam Ellis.

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 15:08:01 +0100 (BST)

>      hda: [ADFS] hda1 [Linux] hda2 < hda 3 hda4 >

Are you sure that you're using the latest installation disks?  This looks
to be like a case of old fdisk on the install disk.  The RedHat installer
uses fdisk to determine which partitions are available, and if it can't
handle the format (old versions didn't know about swap partitions on
Filecore disks), then it will say that.

You can get the latest disks off the FTP site in

	ftp://ftp.arm.uk.linux.org/pub/armlinux/distrib/disks
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Dana K Scully <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 22:57:51 +0100

> architecture specific or independent?

OK, so having tried the drive in a PC running 2.0.34 Linux and finding it
works fine, I suggest this is architecture specific.

L

* You are secretive in your dealings but never to the extent of trickery.
-- 
 |        |\/|         / BSc (Hons) Chemistry (So'ton), ZFC A (Sc)
 |__esley |  |itchell / [email-masked]

---

From: Sam Ellis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 23:44:21 +0100 (BST)

> Filecore disks), then it will say that.
To be on the safe side I down-loaded them again. I obtained the following:
  rpc-2.0.34-1998.06.06 using the symbolic link
  supplemental-1998.05.03 using the other symbolic link
Are these correct?

I still suffer the same problems though - i.e. the swap file not being
found, and a memory access violation occuring.
On the ALT-F4 screen the text 'Linux version 2.0.34 #4 Sat Jun 6 ... 1998'
appears.

Sam Ellis.