Subject: g77, gcc 2.8?

From: Toby Haynes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 19:44:16 +0100 (BST)

I've been investigating compiling up gcc with Fortran 77 and Fortran 90
support. The g77 source code I have currently requires a gcc 2.8 source
tree with which to merge the g77 source in order to compile a
C/C++/F77/F90 version of gcc. However I note from the armlinux web page
that the gcc 2.8.1 release is broken in several respects. Since the gcc
2.7 source tree won't do for this, I'm stuck without a decent fortran
compiler... f2c will cover many things but it doesn't include the MIL
library support, among others. 

Has anyone managed to compile g77? Are there any ARM patches for any of
the gcc 2.8 distributions? Or should it be fairly straightforward to get
it up and running and I'm just chicken? :-) My current thoughts are along
the lines of ripping the libI77 and libF77 out of g77 and compiling them
using f2c to attempt to give me something usable... 

On a different note, I compiled up the latest RPM 2.5.1 source code
without trouble, but I get errors when trying to do 

rpm -ivv <SRPM package> 

along the lines of error.

Error code 2: Unknown header

on *all* the srpm's I have tried. Any clues? The SRPMS I have extract fine
when using rpm2cpio etc...

Finally, it would probably be a good idea to have a link on the ARM Linux
FAQ to one of the general Linux FAQs to help people like me who are new to
Linux to chase down problems on their own. Thanks to Phillip Blundell I
ended up finding all the information I neeeded but a nice obvious link
wouldn't hurt.

Thanks,
	Toby
_______________________________________________________________________
Toby Haynes       | "Alarm clock? Oh, you mean the sad pile of
Rm 965, MRAO      |  cogs and twisted springs under that dent
Uni. of Cambridge |  in the wall?"

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Paul Koning <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 15:49:37 -0400

>>>>> "Toby" == Toby Haynes <[email-masked]> writes:

 Toby> I've been investigating compiling up gcc with Fortran 77 and
 Toby> Fortran 90 support. The g77 source code I have currently
 Toby> requires a gcc 2.8 source tree with which to merge the g77
 Toby> source in order to compile a C/C++/F77/F90 version of
 Toby> gcc....

A nice way to get g77 all packaged up with build procedures that are
pretty straightforward is to get the current edition of "egcs".
That's a somewhat more experimental branch of gcc development; among
many things, it has incorporated g77 right in the main kit.  No merge
needed as was the case before.

If memory serves, egcs currently has arm a.out format support but I'm
not sure it has ELF support yet, so you may want to keep 2.8.x around
as well.

Look in http://egcs.cygnus.com/ for more.

	paul

-- 
!-----------------------------------------------------------------------
! Paul Koning, NI1D, D-20853
! Xedia Corporation, 119 Russell Street, Littleton, MA 01460, USA
! phone: +1 978 952 6000 ext 115, fax: +1 978 952 6090
! email: [email-masked]
! Pgp:   27 81 A9 73 A6 0B B3 BE 18 A3 BF DD 1A 59 51 75
!-----------------------------------------------------------------------
! Diffie & Hellman were right!
! "Exhaustive cryptanalysis of the NBS Data Encryption Standard", 6/1977
! http://www.eff.org/descracker.html
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 21:58:50 +0100

>library support, among others. 

I would imagine that gcc 2.8 or egcs will probably work pretty much straight 
off.  There do seem to be some lurking problems that come out to play when you 
turn on lots of optimisation and StrongARM specifics but the compiler isn't as 
terribly broken as you might think for most purposes - the kernel seems 
particularly good at triggering corner cases that upset it.

EGCS has had quite a lot of fixes since 2.8.1 was released and so it's 
probably a better bet.  I believe that EGCS has better Fortran integration 
as well though that's not an area I have any direct interest in.

p.