Subject: Installation problems of one kind or another..

From: Simon N C Kirk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 22:36:23 +0000

Hi, I was wondering if anybody could help me? I've been having
two-fold problems with installing armlinux on an a5000 with 4 megs of
memory. Here's the details:

  The first problem:
    I've tried to install linux with the RPMS available on NFS. However,
the redhat install program does not detect my ethernet card at all. I
have an ANT Ethernet card, here's the blurb from the kernel bootup
regarding the expansion cards (I have, incidentally, tried taking all
the other expansion cards out, except the Colourcard which is needed for
my monitor and retrying, and also taking the ethernet card and trying
other podule slots)...

    0:[0053:00A4]    ANT Ethernet (00:02:07:02:bb:00) Acorn Access / AUN
(DCI4)
    1:[003F:0039]    The Serial Port Dual Serial Card (Issue 2)
    2:[000C:0063]    Ultimate HCCS 1992, 1993
    3:[0009:0050]    Wild Vision / CC ColourCard Issue 2.1

  I also whipped out the network card and had a look at the chips (as
I've already read the FAQ for all the tips I could muster and the
instructions for trying to solve installation problems for cards
suggested looking at the chips themselves)

  Chips:
                SEEQ
                9724    0537201
                VP06652-
                NQ80C04A
                AEDLC

                SEEQ
                P08020
                9635

                SEEQ
                P083092A
                9338

                ACORN JED

                I think it was the ROM with the RiscOS software on it
but here's this chip anyway
                AUN[]Acess[]TCP/IP[]
                ANT Limited 1994
                Acorn Computers 1994
                S/N    28818

                GTS S05UO954
                9627

                GTS LPT100-05
                9615

                AEL870-4
                20.0
                11/93

                And lastly there was the name of the card etched into
it:   Ethernet III    Atomwide

  Sorry if this seems longwinded! I wanted to get all the information in
here people might need.

    The second problem:
           As an alternative I have tried instead to use my harddisk
instead, which of course requires the supplemental disk. unfortunately,
after loading for a while the computer runs out of memory! So I don't
know what's wrong there either. Is there any way to turn on a swap space
at the bootloader prompt? Ah there's another point.. I know there should
be a login prompt available at virtual console alt-F2 where I could
indeed activate that swap space, but I have NO prompt available at
alt-F2.. indeed that console doesn't even seem to exist, pressing alt-F2
does not do anything.

  As far as I know, the a5k kernel which is available on the ftp site is
not supported or officially released by Russel yet, but I would really
appreciate some help, as I'm completely stuck. If any more info is
needed, please email me!

    Cheers,
            Simon

ps I would buy a Risc-PC and get rid of these problems, but
unfortunately I had to have a laptop as my main comp, and that meant a
PC! =c)

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]