Subject: Yet another with installation problems

From: James Forrester <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 17:38:13 +0100 (BST)

Sorry to add even more to the seemingly ever-growing number of people
posting with installation problems, but here goes:

I have installed the Red Hat distribution fine (I think I have done so - I
have not been able to verify this since I cannot get to the prompt).
However, I have been told that I need to find out about 'loadmaps' and
boot.conf files to avoid getting the "invalid bmap magic in first sector of
partition" errors (and get it to work); to get to the prompt, I have been
told to enter 'root=/dev/hda3' as the extra argument when booting the
kernel. However, this results in the following being displayed:

# Partition check:
#   [ADFS] hda1 [Linux] hda2 <hda3 hda4>
# Ext2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended.
# VFS Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
# Unable to open and initialise console.

The machine the starts to endlessly repeat the line:

# sh: memory violation at pc=0x00029cd8, lr=0x2000d060 (bad address=
# 0x00000000, code 3)

Something similar happens if I add ' ro' to the end of the extra argument
as well (although errors claiming that hda3 is read only also occur), as
had been suggested to me. Linux *has* been installed on the third partition
of ADFS::4 (ie hda3), and the fourth (hda4) is the swap partition.

I have no idea how to continue, and so any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Yours sincerely,
-- 
James D. M. Forrester
mailto:[email-masked]
Also: [email-masked] [email-masked]
The Oaktree-House talker, telnet://toth.org.uk

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]