Subject: Problems with EtherB NIC

From: Dean Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 11:41:10 +0100 (BST)

Does ARMLinux support RiscPC EtherB NIC cards?

I have such a card in my machine which works fine under RISC OS. When I try
to insmod ether3 under Linux I get an error message, something along the
lines of a 'problem establishing podule bus width'.

-- 
Dean Murphy                  ANT Ltd. Cambridge          mailto:[email-masked]
Product Manager            Tel:  (44) 1223 567808   http://www.ant.co.uk/~dean

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 11:48:36 +0100 (BST)

Dean Murphy
> lines of a 'problem establishing podule bus width'.

You have a StrongARM, don't you?  There are several different problems,
it seems.  One is that the 80C04.AE chip is not supported, I believe Ian
Jeffray is waiting to receive docs on it before adding support for it.
Another is that the 8005 support is currently broken with a StrongARM.
Russell has given me a replacement ether3.c to test, but omitted the
ether3.h to accompany it.  The latest (ie 2.0.34) should detect the ether3
okay, but it will sometimes go wrong and the only fix is to ifconfig
the interface down & back up again (don't forget to add the route..)

-- 
Set Alias$Case Set Alias$[ |||| |MSet Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ \ Matthew
"" |MSet Alias$When If %0=%%0 Then Set Alias$[ "" ||MIf %0=%%0    \ Wilcox
Then Set Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ |||||||||||||||| ||MIf       \
%0=%%0 Then Set Alias$When Set Alias$[ ||||||||||||||||
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Richard Bradbury <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 11:55:22 +0100

> lines of a 'problem establishing podule bus width'.

I have also experienced this problem with an ARM610 and a revision 1
RiscPC.  Here is one possible lead:

On Fri, 29 May 1998 12:20:38, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
>
> Please can you try compiling the latest kernel from
> the patches provided by Russell on the FTP site, and let us know if the
> problem still exists.  There have been changes to do with card width
> detection - it fixed my Ether3-with-a-StrongARM bug, so it may have
> fixed yours too.

He was referring to the 2.0.34 versions of the modules, I think, but they
don't seem to fix the problem.

-- 
Richard.