Subject: Re: ARMLinux on Brutus problems and angelboot (long)

From: "Chris Lesiak" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 16:19:14 -0500

I also just got a Brutus and spent a little time trying to get linux
  running without success.  I didn't spend
  much time on it since the kit was damaged in shipping so I don't know if
  there are problems with it.  The
  results I did get were similar to yours.  (Although I was encouraged by
  being able to recompile the
  kernel with gcc2.8.1+arm-diff-980606 and binutils-2.9.1.0.7.)

  A few notes:

  The shift values are out of radix because someone tried to beautify the
  source by adding zeros for
  alignment.  8 was changed to 08, which the compiler tries to interpret as
  octal.

  It also appears that the two flash parts in the flash bank need to be
  pulled and replaced with some
  larger surface mount parts.  The 256kBytes that came on my board is
  hardly large enough to hold
  the 1.2GB of the disk image.  What parts are people using?

  On a related note, it appears as if angel (my board uses version 1.02) is
  using Atmel flash
  programming algorithms from the uHAL library (although I don't have all
  of the source to be
  sure.)  If anyone has a modified angel for their larger flash parts, I
  would appreciate a copy.

  Even though I wasn't able to successfully load the disk image, I was
  concerned that I didn't at least
  get some console messages indicating boot.  If I had the ARM SDT it would
  be easier to check out
  the board with the demos, but I don't want to spent the money on it.  Was
  I foolish to believe I wouldn't
  need it?

  I'll wait until I get a replacement board before I spend any more time on
  the project, but I would like to
  hear about other experiences with the brutus.

  Chris Lesiak
  [email-masked]

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Hiroshi Ishii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 14:09:05 +0900

Hi,

>   On a related note, it appears as if angel (my board uses version 1.02) is

Brutus linux can' t work on 1.02's angel, I think..........
May be only 1.00's angel.

--------------------------------------
Funai Electric Engineering Co.,LTD
                                     -Hiroshi Ishii
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Zsolt Kiraly <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 05:54:14 +0000

Hi Hiroshi,

Well, that cerainly explains it.

Could you tell me how you installed the 1.00 angel ? Or did you install the angel
that Debby Wallach included in the Brutus Linux distribution (probably sure to
work)? Did you use the ARM developement kit to do this ?

Thanks,

Zsolt

Hiroshi Ishii wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > So you tried it with the 1.02, and when it did not work you tried it with the
> > 1.00, and it worked ?
>
> Yes.  It's mysterious that Brutus Linux don't work on 1.02's
> angel.
>

--
Zsolt Kiraly       [email-masked]
Department of Aeronautics & Astronautics
Stanford University