Subject: ELF help for the uninitiated

From: Dana K Scully <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 15:04:26 +0100

OK, so the technical ones amongst us are all going on about the problems
they're having building ELF (and ELF tools) but, what I could really do
with is a simple explanation of:
1) what ELF is
2) what it'll do for me and 
3) will there be a simple way of installing it

L

* Faith goes out through the window when beauty comes in at the door.
-- 
 |        |\/|         / BSc (Hons) Chemistry (So'ton), ZFC A (Sc)
 |__esley |  |itchell / [email-masked]
 
 A woman of many talents. :)
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 17:43:34 +0100 (BST)

> 3) will there be a simple way of installing it

ELF is a standard for libraries & executables, as opposed to the A.OUT
standard which we have at the moment.  (almost?) all other Linux ports
have had it for a long time.  It will give the developers less work to do
since we will be more similar to other Linux distributions, meaning we can
spend more time fixing arm-specific problems and/or working on generic
Linux stuff.  I imagine once we have a stable & working ELF toolchain,
we will then build a RedHat 5.1 (and a Debian 2.0 ;-) distribution,
at which stage all you'll need to do is reinstall ;-)

I couldn't possibly put a timescale on how long it will be.

-- 
Set Alias$Case Set Alias$[ |||| |MSet Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ \ Matthew
"" |MSet Alias$When If %0=%%0 Then Set Alias$[ "" ||MIf %0=%%0    \ Wilcox
Then Set Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ |||||||||||||||| ||MIf       \
%0=%%0 Then Set Alias$When Set Alias$[ ||||||||||||||||
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]