Subject: A couple of ommissions?

From: Toby Haynes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 15:49:55 +0100 (BST)

I installed (successfully) ARM Linux about a couple of weeks ago, and
having started compiling various bits and pieces with a vengence, I've
noticed a number of files missing ...

Firstly, a lot of the header files in /usr/include/ themselves point to
./linux/ files. On a clean install, I didn't get a /usr/include/linux/
directory. My fix for this has simply been to make a ./linux/ directory
and copy all the headers into it as well, but I fear this may merely be
storing up the agony for later...

Secondly (and I almost died of shock when I discovered this! :-) ) there
doesn't appear to be a copy of python in the standard install tree. I've
built the locatedb so I'm fairly sure I haven't overlooked anything...
Since python is relied upon by lots of utilities (such as glint for
starters) this causes lots of grief...

One strange thing I have also noticed is that Linux doesn't seem to like
some of my RiscOS screen modes - particularly 1100x800 and 1100x850. I end
up with a diagonally sheared screen, going left two pixels for every new
line down. I guess I'm missing something but I can't guess what (unless it
has to be a 64bit aligned screen address for the start of each line?).
1024x768 and 1280x1024 are fine.

Lastly, a lot of the arm binary rpm's wipe out on my machine, from
xsnooker to xgal. More frustratingly though, I've had trouble with the rpm
manager failing to recognise the data type of SRPMS, with errors like
'Data type 9 not recognised'. Is a recompile in order? These are all
RedHat 5.0/5.1 SRPMS.

Cheers,
	Toby

PS Is the elf-arm mail archive down? The archives directory appears not to
exist and majordomo is telling me that there are no files. 
_______________________________________________________________________
Toby Haynes       | "Alarm clock? Oh, you mean the sad pile of
Rm 965, MRAO      |  cogs and twisted springs under that dent
Uni. of Cambridge |  in the wall?"

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 19:06:03 +0100

>directory.

You need to install the kernel source and make symlinks.  This is in the FAQ.

p.