Subject: KDE?

From: Peter Teichmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 19:27:16 +0100

Hi,

are there plans to port (compile) KDE to armlinux? Anyone tried it?
I think KDE should be really available for ArmLinux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(For those who do not know what KDE is, look at http://www.kde.org)

I tried it, but unfortunately with not very much success. KDE is based on
TrollTechs Qt library (http://www.troll.no/dl). So I first needed to compile
Qt. Unfortunately I could not compile it as a dynamic library, because
-fPIC is not supportet by GCC 2.7.2.2. For a real usable KDE it should
really be a shared library. After some changes to the Makefiles (removing
-fPIC, changing "ar cqs" to "ar rc" all compiled without problems, it took
only about an hour. But the most important problem was, that the example
applications did not want to run. They crashed all with a segmetation
fault and dumped a 8MB core.

I think it can not be too hard to get KDE running, as it is already running
under RiscBSD, unfortunately a bit slow.

-- 
Peter Teichmann

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Email: [email-masked]  WWW: rcswww.urz.tu-dresden.de/~teich-p

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 20:41:11 +0100 (BST)

> under RiscBSD, unfortunately a bit slow.

Actually its not triivial. Also you are forbidden by the license from
distributing a modified Qt which makes life more fun. The Gnome people
(www.gnome.org) do have at least the core libraries working nicely on the
slightly strange world of the ARM (char being unsigned got Rasterman for
a while). If you can be bothered to pull all the stuff gnome should run on
the ARM boxes, and fast - its C not C++.

Alan

---

From: Stefan Hanske <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 21:44:41 +0200 (METDST)

> under RiscBSD, unfortunately a bit slow.

You can't compile qt as a shared library yet, setup as linux-gcc-static
should work. This is because gcc-2.7.2.2 is a.out which is not supported
by qt. This changes when moving to ELF.

Try strace -o logfile <demoprogram>  and you will see that they abort
after accessing $HOME/.Xauthority, locale.dir & locale.alias in the X11
tree, after renaming them it works on my system. But there some KDE
binaries show the same behaviour. You can't rename all the files cause
there may be some important ones for the system. I will however try to
build a usable ELF system myself and then try again.

----------------------------------------------------------
|mailto: Stefan Hanske ([email-masked] |
|WWW : http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~shanske      |
|phone: I'm not silly                                    |
|--------------------------------------------------------|
| And don't forget to remember what you remembered not   |
| to forget to remember...				 |
----------------------------------------------------------