Subject: Compiling ELF glibc

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 19:05:09 +0100 (BST)

Hi!

I'm currently trying to get ELF working on my box in time for the 
South-East show.  I just tried compiling glibc and it complained at me 
that my makeinfo version was too old.  I've downloaded the latest texinfo 
(3.12) that I could find and tried compiling that, but it died horribly, 
and it looked like something that wasn't a wrong ./configure option or 
something similar.

I somehow forsee grave problems in getting the required binaries to 
compile properly - after all, not much else has compiled without a lot of 
work so far.

So I was wondering, since there are others out there with compiled and 
working ELF stuff, would one of those people mind sending me pre-compiled 
copies of the following:

make 3.75
texinfo 3.11
awk 3.0
autoconf 2.12

If it makes any difference, I'm using an sa110 with 3.0.34.

These are the packages that glibc says it needs in order to compile.  I'd 
be really grateful if anyone would send these to me, preferably as soon 
as possible, since the show is starting to loom.  Thanks VERY much in 
advance,
Phil

-- 
Linux: A penguin which jumps through Windows and leaps over Gates.

Phil Norman, mailing from Exeter University.
email:	[email-masked]
URL:	http://newton.ex.ac.uk/general/ug/norman

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: "Scott Bambrough" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 14:59:10 -0400

I had this problem as well for a long time.  It is not serious, you just
don't get info files.  You can remove manual from the list of subdirs in
Makefile and it won't try to build them.

---

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 20:21:58 +0100 (BST)

> autoconf 2.12

I downloaded new versions of these and tried building them.  I managed to 
get awk and autoconf working, but I got a load of undefined references 
when making make and texinfo.  Both configured ok but they can't find 
references, including one called _xstat.  Anyone know how I might solve this?

Cheers,
Phil

-- 
Rule of programming #1: Everything that can go wrong will go wrong,
	except when you're running the debugger.

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 00:24:57 +0100

>that my makeinfo version was too old.  I've downloaded the latest texinfo 

You can ignore that.  It just means you won't get the info pages.

The only important things from your list are make and awk.

p.

---

From: Stefan Voss <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 10:03:19 +0200

> references, including one called _xstat.  Anyone know how I might solve this?

Unresolved references to _xstat? I can remember to have this problem as
well.

There are two versions of stat.h. One is found in /usr/include/sys/stat.h,
the other one somewhere in /usr/local/arm-unknown-linuxaout or
/usr/arm-unknown-linuxaout. The latter one should be found (and included)
first in your compiler's include search path. You can determine where your
compiler looks for include files by running it as "gcc -v ..."

It seems that you have progressed further than me. I'm still unsure how to
go from a.out to ELF. So far I thought I have to do

1. Compile binutils 2.9.1.0.6 for a.out
2. Compile gcc 2.8.1 for a.out
3. Install these new binutils and gcc
4. Compile binutils for ELF
5. Compile gcc for ELF
6. Compile glibc for ELF

At the moment I'm stuck on step 4. I compile binutils that produce ELF but
run on an a.out system. Is this some sort of cross compiling?

Or I am going the wrong way?

> Phil

Regards,
   Stefan
   
-- 
Stefan Voss
([email-masked])

---

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 10:04:51 +0100 (BST)

> The only important things from your list are make and awk.

Fair enough.  Unfortunately, make is one of the things I can't get to 
compile.  Anyone got an a.out version of make 3.75?

Cheers,
Phil

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 14:03:32 +0100

>references, including one called _xstat.  Anyone know how I might solve this?

That smells of a header file/library mismatch.

p.

---

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 11:11:25 +0100 (BST)

> Or I am going the wrong way?

Thanks very much - I'll give it a go.

I've been told that, to compile something which produces ELF but runs on 
aout, you do...

./configure --host=arm-linuxaout --target=arm-linux

(plus any other args you need)

Good luck,
Phil

---

From: Stefan Hanske <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 09:32:36 +0200 (METDST)

> references, including one called _xstat.  Anyone know how I might solve this?

I got these when compiling tkdesk. It seems that xstat is defined in the 
c library header files (maybe for internal use only), but there is no 
reference in the c library binary. Don't know how this comes.

----------------------------------------------------------
|mailto: Stefan Hanske ([email-masked] |
|WWW : http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~shanske      |
|phone: I'm not silly                                    |
|--------------------------------------------------------|
| And don't forget to remember what you remembered not   |
| to forget to remember...				 |
----------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 09:18:42 -0400 (EDT)

> reference in the c library binary. Don't know how this comes.

I noticed that some packages expect LINUX_STAT_VERSION to be
defined, but _my_ headers define _STAT_VER instead.

-- 
Andrew E. Mileski           mailto:[email-masked]
Software Developer
Corel Computer Corp.        http://www.CorelComputer.com/
OSC-CCC Technical Liaison   http://www.NetWinder.org/
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]