Subject: RE: Installing

From: Simon Ogilvie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 09:15:05 +0100

Some more detail on this.  I got the base installation in place
using the tar file from Phil's web site.  The only RPMs I've got
are on the Clan CD, and I can read them with the X-files reader,
but copying them into a RiscOS partition truncates the filenames.
Even so, when copied over (in batches of 77!) onto the Linux
partition the installer recognises them and tries to install from
them.  I still get a problem later in the install though, when it 
pops up error dialogue boxes complaining about some of the
packages.  Unfortunately the packages it complains about
include ld.so and kbd, so I guess there's not a lot of point in
continuing without them!

What I'm not sure about is whether I've got a compatible set
of files.  The kernel, root and supplemental disks are copied
from Russell's web site (I think the kernel is 2.0.33).  The RedHat
base files are from Phil's web site, and the RPMs are from the
Clan CD.  Is this OK, or am I trying to mix incompatible versions?

The machine by the way is a SA110 RiscPC600 with the Acorn
IDE controller (original), 48Mb RAM, and a Quantum Fireball 1.2Gb
drive partitioned into RiscOS (450Mb), Linux table (few Kb), Linux
root (700Mb) and Linux swap (128Mb).  Is that a fair config?

Thanks and regards,
Simon.

>----------
>From: 	Simon Ogilvie
>Sent: 	09 June 1998 20:30
>To: 	[email-masked]'
>Subject: 	Installing
>
>Sorry to ask basic questions, but I'm having trouble with a new
>install...
>
>I put a new IDE disk in my machine yesterday with a view to running
>both RiscOS and ARMLinux from it.  I partitioned it as per the Linux
>installation instructions, and got a Linux kernel booting successfully.
>I've now got to the RedHat installation program and have got stuck.
>The installation instructions from Russell's web site are a bit vague
>at this point, and the instructions I got from Phil Norman's web site
>about installing off the Clan CD don't help here either, as it doesn't
>tell you how to get from the X-Files installation on the CD to a ZIP
>archive.
>
>I've got the RedHat/base files on the RiscOS partition, but the
>installer
>refuses to accept that I have a correct installation tree.
>
>What's the correct way to go about this?  The RiscOS partition is
>working
>fine by the way, and if I <Alt-F2> out of the installer I can mount it
>and
>the Linux partition without any problems, so the disk must be OK.
>
>Any help to get over this would be very gratefully received!
>
>Thanks,
>Simon.
>
> 
>unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
>
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 12:15:32 +0100 (BST)

> but copying them into a RiscOS partition truncates the filenames.

This doesn't matter at all, although it might be best if you ensure 
all the files end in .arm.rpm.  You can do this with the following line 
(assuming you're in the same directory as the rpm files):

for I in `ls`;do mv $I $I.arm.rpm;done

This is from memory - if it's wrong someone please correct it.

> include ld.so and kbd, so I guess there's not a lot of point in

For some reason, the installer does put up loads of complaint boxes, 
although what they're complaining about exactly has always puzzled me.  
Ignoring these doesn't seem to produce any problems (in fact the PC 
redhat does the same).  Such lines complain about a certain package, 
giving a line number.  If it's just these you're getting ignore them.

Tip for getting past these - pressing 'Return' causes the RedHat window 
manager thingy to make the 'OK' button press down.  This takes a small 
amount of time, and the boxes can be skipped more quickly by using F12 
(to go to the next screen).

> Clan CD.  Is this OK, or am I trying to mix incompatible versions?

Everything should be fine.  As far as I know, the RPMs don't care what 
version of the kernel you're using (with the exception of ELF RPMs, of 
which there are none in the armlinux distribution).

> root (700Mb) and Linux swap (128Mb).  Is that a fair config?

I shouldn't think you'll need so much swap.  I find it reasonably 
difficult to use my swap, and I've only got 22M.  Unless you're intending 
to use tons of memory for something, you could probably get away with no 
swap at all (although having a little is probably wise).

-- 
Sorry, my sig seems to have been randomly deleted today.

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 12:49:06 +0100 (BST)

Phil Norman
> This is from memory - if it's wrong someone please correct it.

That would certainly work.  I prefer the following:

for i in *; do mv $i $i.arm.rpm; done

and if you wanted to move them back again:

for i in *; do mv $i ${i%%.arm.rpm}; done

That last works in bash and (iirc) ksh, but not real sh.  Don't even think
about it for csh ;-)

-- 
Set Alias$Case Set Alias$[ |||| |MSet Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ \ Matthew
"" |MSet Alias$When If %0=%%0 Then Set Alias$[ "" ||MIf %0=%%0    \ Wilcox
Then Set Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ |||||||||||||||| ||MIf       \
%0=%%0 Then Set Alias$When Set Alias$[ ||||||||||||||||
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]