Subject: glibc-2.1 snapshot available

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 1998 17:47:54 +0100

Hi,

I've made available a snapshot of the glibc-2.1 development tree for people to 
test on ARM systems.  You need to get glibc-2.0.94.tar.gz (plus the 
linuxthreads and crypt add-ons) from your local GNU mirror, and then the patch 
from

http://www.tazenda.demon.co.uk/phil/armlinux/patches/glibc-2.0.94-arm-diff-980601.gz

This should build for the configurations arm-linux (Linux/ARM with ELF), 
arm-linuxaout (Linux/ARM with a.out) and arm-none (ARM standalone with a.out) 
provided you have appropriate tools installed.  For the arm-none target you 
will need to use `--enable-hacker-mode'.  For the arm-linuxaout target you 
will need to use `--enable-static-nss'. 

It's possible to compile the library both natively and using a cross-compiler.
The latter is fairly straightforward but you may need to use an explicit 
`--build=' option when configuring.  If building natively on an a.out system 
you will probably need to explicitly specify the host as `arm-linuxaout'.

You need a somewhat recent version of gcc and binutils to compile this.  
Binutils 2.9.1.0.4 should work out of the box and you can download it from the 
usual place.  Either gcc 2.8.1 or a recent egcs should work but you need a 
small patch that I've appended to this mail to make weak symbols work 
correctly.  For ELF you need an even newer toolset; I hope to make a public 
beta release of this soon.

Please report success or failure to me.  Since this is a snapshot, please do 
NOT send bug reports to the bug-glibc address.

Both 2.0 and 2.1 kernels should work but I've only been able to lightly test 
2.1 owing to the lack of a working floating-point emulator.

If anybody would like to help with development of glibc for the ARM, please 
get in touch.  In particular, optimised versions of many functions need to be 
written for the ARM.  More people to help with testing on different systems 
are also always welcome.

p.

--- gcc/config/arm/linux-gas.h	Fri Dec  5 12:13:45 1997
+++ gcc/config/arm/linux-gas.h	Mon Jun  1 09:47:20 1998
@@ -32,3 +31,13 @@
 #ifndef DBX_DEBUGGING_INFO
 #define DBX_DEBUGGING_INFO 1
 #endif
+
+/* 
+ * This is how we tell the assembler that a symbol is weak.  GAS always
+ * supports weak symbols, even for a.out. 
+ */
+
+#define ASM_WEAKEN_LABEL(FILE,NAME) \
+  do { fputs ("\t.weak\t", FILE); assemble_name (FILE, NAME); \
+       fputc ('\n', FILE); } while (0)
+

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]