Subject: Perl 5.004.04 and printf %f

From: Sam Kington <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 13:30:42 +0100

Hi,

I've just discovered that the version of Perl 5.004.04 I compiled a
month or two ago, has serious problems with printf %f or %g (all other
kinds are fine). Although it's perfectly happy adding floats together
and casting them to ints, as soon as you say, e.g.
printf("%f", 23.23) it hangs, solid.

The perl5.001m binary off the ftp site works fine, however.

So: is there a patch I need to make to Perl to get it running happily,
or a configuration option I missed?

(I'm running 2.0.33 on a StrongARM, nothing obviously dodgy I don't
think - I've got Apache 1.3, qvwm and a few other dribs and drabs
running happily)

Sam
-- 
Home page: http://www.illuminated.co.uk/
INWO Homebrew has moved: http://www.illuminated.co.uk/inwo/
Entropy isn't what it used to be.
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 16:05:09 +0100

>printf("%f", 23.23) it hangs, solid.

Do you mean your machine locks up, or the Perl process just goes catatonic?  
If the former it's a kernel problem, though it may be being tickled by 
something Perl is doing.

p.

---

From: Sam Kington <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 18:47:48 +0100

Philip Blundell wrote:
> Do you mean your machine locks up, or the Perl process just goes > catatonic?

Perl hangs; the rest of the machine is fine, and I can Ctrl-Z it then
kill it without any problems. A simple printf statement in C works as
expected, and every other aspect of floating-point seems perfectly happy
- as I mentioned, this Perl has been running all my web server's scripts
quite happily for about a month or so.

If I have time, I'll try and dig around in the source to find out where
printf is actually defined. I had actually hoped that whoever built the
original binary rpm for perl5.001m was reading this list and could jump
in with a quick fix.

Sam
-- 
Home page: http://www.illuminated.co.uk/
INWO Homebrew has moved: http://www.illuminated.co.uk/inwo/
"... After all, all he did was string together a lot of old, well-known
quotations." - H. L. Mencken, on Shakespeare
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]