Subject: Proposal(2) Promoting Linux in our Country

From: Leonard Ong <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 19:16:51 +0700

Dear Friends,

I hope that every linux-user would give their time a few minute to acknowledge
the  difficulties that we have in our country.  We hope that linux community
can help us in any form that agree with the spirit of Linux.

Previous Proposal to Linux Distribution Manufacturers :
>Please read the following email with open heart and open mind.  We are
>thankful for your brief time and attention given to this email.
>
>First of all, I would like to introduce myself. I am Leonard Ong, the
>President Director of Leonard Advanced Research, Inc.  We are a non-profit
>organization that specialized in Researchs involving Computer techonolgy
>and encouraging also motivating the use of Computer to all people.
>
>Since Indonesia has been developing country, not everyone could afford to
>buy a computer system and their peripherals. One proof of this is the level
>of piracy software. With recent development before the currency crisis took
>place, we have  been very successful in motivating computer system use in
>national-wide. This is proved by huge increase in computer hardware
>selling, and drops in software piracy level.
>
>Until recently, due to monetary crisis, we are changing our course to free
>Operating System Such as Linux.  We are aware although LInux is free, we
>have to pay some amount to the distribution-maker.  If the monetary crisis
>have not took place, we would be able to afford a LInux Distribution.  With
>the current condition where US Dollar has increased its value up to 600
>percent of original value, we are unable to buy even a single distribution
>as sample for our cause. Say 1 USD used to be 2250 rupiahs, now it's 13000
>rupiahs. Increased ( 600 Percent meaning our local currency is 17 percent of
original value )

>
>As you might now that we are non-profit organization.  Since we can't
>afford to pay you a copy, I would like to ask the probability of having a
>complete set of your distribution donated to our organization.  It would
>take only a distribution set for our cause of promoting the use of linux to
>be on the way.
>
>So please with open heart and open mind, would you consider our proposal.
>We know that it may be only a single set for you, but it means a tremendous
>boost for our cause. I believe that Linux was created in the first place by
>the spirit of togetherness and not merely commercial point of view alone.
>
>We can not repay you in money, but should things ( economic conditions )
>improve, there  might be a lot of companies or hobbiest or individuals that
>interested in linux.  That way they surely will order directly for your
>distribution.
>
>Should you be very kind to agree sending us a complete set of your
>distribution, please send it to :
>

<contact for info>

>
>Thank you.
>
>
>=======
>Leonard Advanced Reseach, Inc
>842234.2356/ABD/234LA/980317/AHSG131

That letter was sent to various manufacturer and we got some responses of good
will and contributions.  We are grateful of this, but we hope that we could
some help more.  Until this moment, our organization has recieve some donation
in form of each distribution of Infomagic, LSL, ChepBytes.

>From the seminars, exibitions that we held, it is known to us that the
response
toward linux is very suprising. We manage to acknowledge the transistion of
DOS/Win/SunOS to Linux among many of our prospect. I, myself, do not really
know what distribution they use since they are ordering themselves for the
CD (
we're non profit so don't handle sales. )

The point is, that we would ask for help in linux community for such resources
available :
1) other distribustion that Our organization doesn't currrently have ( we
currently have RedHat 5.0 basic, Suse 5.1 basic, Slackware 3.4, and Debian
1.3.1. basic )
2) customized CDs that contains big programs in linux e.g. StarOffice,etc or
linux utilities that are no in standard tsx or sunsite archives ( We can't
d/l,
very expensive )
3) CDs that contains various text beside LDP or Howtos
4) Hardprinted manual books / linux reference  / linux books
5) linux related books

Those above-listed things could be things that you do not use anymore, old
books, or things that you have more that you use.  These things can enrich our
resources to linux, providing our community a place to learn linux more, to
move to linux, etc.

If you are interested in contributing please contact me directly. Thank you.

Sorry for inconvinience caused of this email.

Sincerely Yours,
Leonard Ong

/-------------------S--I--G--N--A--T--U--R--E-------------------------\
|  Leonard Ong  -  Share your Knowledge with me !!                    |
|  E-Mail Addrs :  mailto:[email-masked] (For Correspondence)|
|                  mailto:[email-masked]   (Internet Course Q/A) |
|                  mailto:[email-masked]  (Archive Only)      |
|  HomePage     :  http://www.poboxes.com/Leonard_Ong                 |
|  UIN (ICQ)    :  1041402    ||   IRC : DalNet, EFNet -- #Leonard    |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------/

PGP encrypted and/or signed Messages preferred,
Please send me your public key ( signed ), Thank you.

|  PGP Public   :  Send Email with subject "get public key" without |
|      Key         Quotes, the body will be ignored                 |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]