Subject: Re: problems with swap in 2.0.33?

From: "Jonathan Peace" <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Jun 1998 11:56:09 -0000

Did you get Netscape working Matthew?

> 
> Hi.  I've been trying to compile lesstif (I'd like to try to get Netscape
> working to demo at Wakefield ;-) and I keep getting memory exhausted
> errors.  I created a /var/swap _file_, mkswap'ed it, and used swapon.
> I'm still getting out of memory problems.  Using top while the linker
> is running shows that it never touches the swap (either /dev/hda4 or
> /var/swap).  I compiled a new swapon from linux-utils 2.7.1, but that
> didn't improve matters.  Anyone know?
> 
> (Replies this evening would be good since I'm away all tomorrow..)
> 
> -- 
> Set Alias$Case Set Alias$[ |||| |MSet Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ \ Matthew
> "" |MSet Alias$When If %0=%%0 Then Set Alias$[ "" ||MIf %0=%%0    \ Wilcox
> Then Set Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ |||||||||||||||| ||MIf       \
> %0=%%0 Then Set Alias$When Set Alias$[ ||||||||||||||||
> unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]
> 
> 

-----
Original Message: http://www.findmail.com/list/linux-arm/?start=494

Start a FREE e-mail list at http://www.FindMail.com/
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Simon Richard Grint <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 14:21:35 +0100 (BST)

> Did you get Netscape working Matthew?

I know he didn`t get it working for Wakefield

> > errors.  I created a /var/swap _file_, mkswap'ed it, and used swapon.

It`s not because of the memory available on your machine, or the swap.
There`s something fundermental about ARMlinux`s memory management which
means you can`t use it to compile something as large as netscape

Regards

Rich

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 13:47:45 +0100 (BST)

Jonathan Peace
> > working to demo at Wakefield ;-) and I keep getting memory exhausted

No, I didn't.  I'm not really terribly interested in X stuff, and the
ELF stuff should bypass the problems I was having; but I simply haven't
done it.  I've been working on the remount-filesystem-on-a-different-
mount-point problem, but I'll build myself an ELF environment sometime
in the next week.

---

From: Stefan Hanske <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 16:34:20 +0200 (METDST)

> means you can`t use it to compile something as large as netscape

I've tried to compile lesstif and I know the problem. I can remember it 
has to do with the older machines and the max. tasksize of 10 MB for 
those. One solution could be to type `ulimit` which should tell linux 
that it can give more than a 10 MB for programs.

The other possibility is that you have the -g compiler flag set which 
will lead you to a ca. 12 MB library file 'cause all the debugging info 
like filenames, function names & c-file line number markers (don't know 
how this is called) are left in there so that gdb can give a verbose 
output if something goes wrong. Just turn it off since there's no gdb 
available for public at the moment.

----------------------------------------------------------
|mailto: Stefan Hanske ([email-masked] |
|WWW : http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~shanske      |
|phone: I'm not silly                                    |
|--------------------------------------------------------|
| And don't forget to remember what you remembered not   |
| to forget to remember...				 |
----------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 21:43:39 +0100 (BST)

> means you can`t use it to compile something as large as netscape

Something fundamental because Linux a.out binaries with fixed-address
shared libraries need to run on 26-bit machines.  This limits the
available virtual memory space for a.out.

ELF binaries are 32-bit, and so will not suffer from this problem.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |