Subject: Compiling a kernel with PPP

From: Tony Houghton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 17:37:39 +0100

I decided to try compiling a kernel with PPP support and encountered a
small problem. When assembling /usr/src/linux/arch/arm/mm/proc-sa110.S
it couldn't find "constants.h" for including. I copied the one from
/usr/src/linux/arch/arm/lib to /usr/src/linux/include as a workaround,
and my new kernel compiled and runs OK. I don't know what the proper
fix for that problem is though.

Now, I haven't finished configuring all the PPP/networking stuff yet, so
I don't know whether it will work, but during boot I get:

Jun 11 22:02:52 localhost modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-4
Jun 11 22:02:53 localhost modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-5

Is that going to stop TCP/IP from working?

The rough outline of what I did when installing is:

make mrproper
make config
make dep
make zImage
make modules
make modules_install

-- 
  \_________________
                    \  http://homepages.tcp.co.uk/~tonyh/
   The Curling Pages \ The home of WinEd, Bombz and POPstar for RISC OS
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: James Craig <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 08:09:36 +0100 (BST)

> Is that going to stop TCP/IP from working?
Quite definately NOT. net-pf-4 and net-pf-5 are IPX and AppleTalk support
respectively - not a major concern for TCPIP. 
> The rough outline of what I did when installing is:
Looks healthy. Hopefully someone else will know what's up with your
compile job. :)

--
James Craig <[email-masked]>
            <[email-masked]>

---

From: Richard Bradbury <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 15:25:38 +0100

> Is that going to stop TCP/IP from working?

These are references to the (missing) Appletalk and Novell IPX protocol
families which aren't supported under ARM Linux.  The Internet protocol
family is supported, and works just fine without them.

In the past, it has been suggested that adding the following lines to
your /etc/conf.modules will make the error messages go away:

  alias net-pf-4 off
  alias net-pf-5 off

This seems to be a frequently enough asked question to be in the FAQ.

-- 
Richard.

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 21:07:25 +0100 (BST)

Tony Houghton writes:
> it couldn't find "constants.h" for including.

Which kernel source version is this?

> Is that going to stop TCP/IP from working?

Nope.  net-pf-4 and net-pf-5 are the AX.25 and IPX modules, which you're
not using (and probably haven't even compiled up).
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 21:17:35 +0100 (BST)

> This seems to be a frequently enough asked question to be in the FAQ.

Indeed - it's now on the FAQ.
   _____

---

From: Tony Houghton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 23:32:12 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>

> Which kernel source version is this?

I think that was 2.0.33. Someone else (dks?) mentioned the same problem
I noticed when looking back over past articles. I've since upgraded to
2.0.34 which appears not to have that problem.