Subject: Re: Linux keeps having Internal errors

From: Stefan Hanske <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 11:13:50 +0200 (METDST)

On Thu, 28 May 1998, Chris Pringle wrote:

> I get about 50. They pass to quick to read but the last line says :
> code : pc not in code space
> When it eventually boots and gives me a login prompt, I can type root and my
> password and then I get an internal error and it takes me back to the login

This seems to be a problem with the fpem version you're using.
When installing, the installer normally set's a link to the correct fpem
version for your system. Sometimes, however, it seems to do wrong. Find a
way to set the link for fpem.o in /lib/modules to fpem-2.87 for an A5000.

----------------------------------------------------------
|mailto: Stefan Hanske ([email-masked] |
|WWW : http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~shanske      |
|phone: I'm not silly                                    |
|--------------------------------------------------------|
| And don't forget to remember what you remembered not   |
| to forget to remember...				 |
----------------------------------------------------------

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Vincent PENNE <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 12:13:00 +0200

> > password and then I get an internal error and it takes me back to the login

There is an option in the kernel (when you configure it before you
compile it) which selects weither it will check version of modules or
not (something like that), if you don't turn it in the proper way, then
the kernel will refuse to load the fp emulator module, whathever version
it is. At least, this happened to me and I had to recompile the kernel
with the proper option ... My RiscPC is at home, so can't tell you the
exact name of the option, however, it is one of the first ...
 Vincent.

/==========================================================\
|     Vincent PENNE,          Centre de Physique Theorique |
|Tel. (0033)4 91 26 95 04       CNRS - LUMINY - Case 907   |
|Fax. (0033)4 91 26 95 53      F-13288 MARSEILLE CEDEX 9   |
|Email: [email-masked]          FRANCE              |
|http://www.cpt.univ-mrs.fr                                |
\==========================================================/
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]