Subject: What do ppl make of this one?

From: Ian Molton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 21:39:24 +0100

Ok, here we go...

I have a vanilla 2.0.34 system, which I originally installed using the
2.0.33 kernel, but have upgraded the modules and kernel to 2.0.34.

The compiler didnt work. it gave the following error when compiling circle
3.x bpl13 (www.circlemud.org)

[[[[
make ../bin/circle
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/circle/src'
gcc -c -g -O2 -Wall  comm.c
In file included from /usr/arm-unknown-linuxaout/include/stdlib.h:42,
                 from sysdep.h:108,
                 from comm.c:14:
/usr/include/errno.h:27: linux/errno.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [comm.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/circle/src'
make: *** [all] Error 2
[root@delenn src]#
]]]]

I tried this fix from the mailinglist archive - 

[[[[
Mmm.  This _is_ a FAQ though it's not ARMLinux specific and as such    
probably isn't mentioned in Russell's FAQ.  The libc we're currently using
(libc 4) requires kernel headers in order to compile (almost) anything. 
libc 6 which we will move t once we have ELF support is much less
dependent upon having the kernel headers.  There might be an RPM which
contains the kernel headers, but personally, I downloaded the linux kernel
source (ftp://sunsite.org.uk/Mirrors/ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.0/
 linux-2.0.33.tar.gz),  unpacked it into /usr/src/linux, downloaded the
latest kernel patch from Russell
(ftp://ftp.arm.uk.linux.org/pub/armlinux/kernel-sources/v2.0/), patched
the kernel to give armlinux support (cd /usr/src/linux; zcat arm-2.0.33.gz
| patch -p1), make config (this is important), \and then set up the
appropriate symlinks:

ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux /usr/include ln -s
/usr/src/linux/include/asm /usr/include ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/scsi
/usr/include
]]]]

and I then get these errors (quite long, sorry!)

[[[[
[delenn src]# make
make ../bin/circle
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/circle/src'
gcc -c -g -O2 -Wall  comm.c
In file included from sysdep.h:94,
                 from comm.c:14:
/usr/arm-unknown-linuxaout/include/stdio.h:71: warning: empty declaration
comm.c:120: warning: parameter has incomplete type
comm.c:120: warning: parameter has incomplete type
comm.c:121: warning: parameter has incomplete type
comm.c:121: warning: parameter has incomplete type
comm.c: In function `main':
comm.c:268: warning: implicit declaration of function `chdir'
comm.c: In function `init_game':
comm.c:321: warning: implicit declaration of function `close'
comm.c: In function `init_socket':
comm.c:340: storage size of `sa' isn't known
comm.c:375: warning: implicit declaration of function `socket'
comm.c:375: `PF_INET' undeclared (first use this function)
comm.c:375: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
comm.c:375: for each function it appears in.)
comm.c:375: `SOCK_STREAM' undeclared (first use this function)
comm.c:404: `AF_INET' undeclared (first use this function)
comm.c:405: warning: implicit declaration of function `htons'
comm.c:406: warning: implicit declaration of function `htonl'
comm.c:406: `INADDR_ANY' undeclared (first use this function)
comm.c:408: warning: implicit declaration of function `bind'
comm.c:414: warning: implicit declaration of function `listen'
comm.c:340: warning: unused variable `sa'
comm.c:339: warning: unused variable `opt'
comm.c: In function `game_loop':
comm.c:513: `fd_set' undeclared (first use this function)
comm.c:513: parse error before `input_set'
comm.c:514: storage size of `last_time' isn't known
comm.c:514: storage size of `before_sleep' isn't known
comm.c:514: storage size of `opt_time' isn't known
comm.c:514: storage size of `process_time' isn't known
comm.c:514: storage size of `now' isn't known
comm.c:514: storage size of `timeout' isn't known
comm.c:520: invalid use of undefined type `struct timeval'
comm.c:521: invalid use of undefined type `struct timeval'
comm.c:524: warning: implicit declaration of function `FD_ZERO'
comm.c:524: `null_set' undeclared (first use this function)
comm.c:526: warning: implicit declaration of function `gettimeofday'
comm.c:534: `input_set' undeclared (first use this function)
comm.c:535: warning: implicit declaration of function `FD_SET'
comm.c:536: warning: implicit declaration of function `select'
comm.c:536: parse error before `)'
comm.c:547: `output_set' undeclared (first use this function)
comm.c:548: `exc_set' undeclared (first use this function)
comm.c:570: type of formal parameter 1 is incomplete
comm.c:570: type of formal parameter 2 is incomplete
comm.c:570: invalid use of undefined type `struct timeval'
comm.c:586: type of formal parameter 1 is incomplete
comm.c:586: type of formal parameter 2 is incomplete
comm.c:586: invalid use of undefined type `struct timeval'
comm.c:586: type of formal parameter 1 is incomplete
comm.c:586: type of formal parameter 2 is incomplete
comm.c:586: invalid use of undefined type `struct timeval'
comm.c:590: type of formal parameter 1 is incomplete
comm.c:590: type of formal parameter 2 is incomplete
comm.c:590: invalid use of undefined type `struct timeval'
comm.c:597: parse error before `)'
comm.c:602: parse error before `}'
comm.c:605: type of formal parameter 1 is incomplete
comm.c:605: type of formal parameter 2 is incomplete
comm.c:605: invalid use of undefined type `struct timeval'
comm.c:517: warning: unused variable `aliased'
comm.c:517: warning: unused variable `pulse'
comm.c:516: warning: unused variable `next_d'
comm.c:515: warning: unused variable `comm'
comm.c:514: warning: unused variable `timeout'
comm.c:514: warning: unused variable `now'
comm.c:514: warning: unused variable `process_time'
comm.c:514: warning: unused variable `opt_time'
comm.c:514: warning: unused variable `before_sleep'
comm.c:514: warning: unused variable `last_time'
comm.c: At top level:
comm.c:606: parse error before `while'
comm.c:618: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
comm.c:618: `next_d' undeclared here (not in a function)
comm.c:618: parse error before `)'
comm.c:622: parse error before `->'
comm.c:622: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
comm.c:623: warning: parameter names (without types) in function
declaration
comm.c:623: conflicting types for `close_socket'
comm.h:19: previous declaration of `close_socket'
comm.c:623: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
comm.c:624: parse error before `}'
comm.c:628: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
comm.c:628: redefinition of `d'
comm.c:618: `d' previously defined here
comm.c:628: `next_d' undeclared here (not in a function)
comm.c:628: parse error before `)'
comm.c:636: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
comm.c:636: redefinition of `d'
comm.c:628: `d' previously defined here
comm.c:636: `next_d' undeclared here (not in a function)
comm.c:636: parse error before `)'
comm.c:653: parse error before `->'
comm.c:654: parse error before `->'
comm.c:655: parse error before string constant
comm.c:655: conflicting types for `act'
comm.h:25: previous declaration of `act'
comm.c:655: parse error before `->'
comm.c:672: parse error before `->'
comm.c:672: conflicting types for `command_interpreter'
interpreter.h:20: previous declaration of `command_interpreter'
comm.c:672: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
comm.c:677: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
comm.c:677: redefinition of `d'
comm.c:636: `d' previously defined here
comm.c:677: `next_d' undeclared here (not in a function)
comm.c:677: parse error before `)'
comm.c:689: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
comm.c:689: redefinition of `d'
comm.c:677: `d' previously defined here
comm.c:689: invalid type argument of `->'
comm.c:689: parse error before `)'
comm.c:697: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
comm.c:697: redefinition of `d'
comm.c:689: `d' previously defined here
comm.c:697: `next_d' undeclared here (not in a function)
comm.c:697: parse error before `)'
comm.c:712: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
comm.c:713: parse error before `}'
comm.c:718: redefinition of `missed_pulses'
comm.c:712: `missed_pulses' previously defined here
comm.c:718: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
comm.c:719: parse error before `}'
ccomm.c:789: parameter `a' has incomplete type
comm.c:789: parameter `b' has incomplete type
comm.c:789: return-type is an incomplete type
comm.c:789: conflicting types for `timediff'
comm.c:120: previous declaration of `timediff'
comm.c: In function `timediff':
comm.c:790: storage size of `rslt' isn't known
comm.c:793: warning: `return' with a value, in function returning void
comm.c:796: warning: `return' with a value, in function returning void
comm.c:800: warning: `return' with a value, in function returning void
comm.c:809: warning: `return' with a value, in function returning void
comm.c:790: warning: unused variable `rslt'
comm.c: At top level:
comm.c:815: parameter `a' has incomplete type
comm.c:815: parameter `b' has incomplete type
comm.c:815: return-type is an incomplete type
comm.c:815: conflicting types for `timeadd'
comm.c:121: previous declaration of `timeadd'
comm.c: In function `timeadd':
comm.c:816: storage size of `rslt' isn't known
comm.c:826: warning: `return' with a value, in function returning void
comm.c:816: warning: unused variable `rslt'
comm.c: In function `new_descriptor':
comm.c:1075: storage size of `peer' isn't known
comm.c:1080: warning: implicit declaration of function `accept'
comm.c:1110: `AF_INET' undeclared (first use this function)
comm.c:1117: warning: implicit declaration of function `ntohl'
comm.c:1075: warning: unused variable `peer'
comm.c: In function `write_to_descriptor':
comm.c:1246: warning: implicit declaration of function `write'
comm.c: In function `process_input':
comm.c:1299: warning: implicit declaration of function `read'
comm.c: At top level:
comm.c:1508: conflicting types for `close_socket'
comm.c:623: previous declaration of `close_socket'
comm.c: In function `nonblock':
comm.c:1623: warning: implicit declaration of function `fcntl'
comm.c:1623: `F_GETFL' undeclared (first use this function)
comm.c:1624: `O_NDELAY' undeclared (first use this function)
comm.c:1625: `F_SETFL' undeclared (first use this function)
comm.c: In function `reread_wizlists':
comm.c:1644: warning: control reaches end of non-void function
comm.c: In function `unrestrict_game':
comm.c:1654: warning: control reaches end of non-void function
comm.c: In function `reap':
comm.c:1661: warning: implicit declaration of function `waitpid'
comm.c:1661: `WNOHANG' undeclared (first use this function)
comm.c:1663: warning: implicit declaration of function `my_signal'
comm.c:1663: `SIGCHLD' undeclared (first use this function)
comm.c:1664: warning: control reaches end of non-void function
comm.c: In function `checkpointing':
comm.c:1673: warning: control reaches end of non-void function
comm.c: In function `signal_setup':
comm.c:1722: storage size of `itime' isn't known
comm.c:1723: storage size of `interval' isn't known
comm.c:1726: warning: implicit declaration of function `signal'
comm.c:1726: `SIGUSR1' undeclared (first use this function)
comm.c:1732: `SIGUSR2' undeclared (first use this function)
comm.c:1742: warning: implicit declaration of function `setitimer'
comm.c:1742: `ITIMER_VIRTUAL' undeclared (first use this function)
comm.c:1743: `SIGVTALRM' undeclared (first use this function)
comm.c:1746: `SIGHUP' undeclared (first use this function)
comm.c:1747: `SIGCHLD' undeclared (first use this function)
comm.c:1749: `SIGINT' undeclared (first use this function)
comm.c:1750: `SIGTERM' undeclared (first use this function)
comm.c:1751: `SIGPIPE' undeclared (first use this function)
comm.c:1751: `SIG_IGN' undeclared (first use this function)
comm.c:1752: `SIGALRM' undeclared (first use this function)
comm.c:1723: warning: unused variable `interval'
comm.c:1722: warning: unused variable `itime'
comm.c: At top level:
comm.c:1901: conflicting types for `act'
comm.c:655: previous declaration of `act'
comm.c:106: storage size of `null_time' isn't known
make[1]: *** [comm.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/circle/src'
make: *** [all] Error 2
[delenn src]# 
]]]]

Anyone got /any/ idea whats going on? this is driving me nuts!

Any help MUCH appreciated!

-- 
-Ian aka Lennier
Acorn Computers, the best in the world
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hawk/
BaBe - Womens human rights organisation in Croatia
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hawk/babe/

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 10:05:35 +0100

>comm.c:375: `SOCK_STREAM' undeclared (first use this function)

What do you have in /usr/arm-linuxaout/include?

p.