Subject: Help starting X

From: Timothy Baldwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 22:53:47 +0100

I have just install the complete ARM Linux distrubtion, and I can't start X.
The following is displayed whenever I try to run xinit :

X Version 11 Release 6 X Window System
(Protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6000)
Operating system: linux 
Using VT 7
Server: support for 2 16 256 colors
Screen: 800 by 600 pixels, 256 colour
failed to set default font path '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,
 /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,
 /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/'
Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'
giving up.
xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

 (line breaks added)

Any help is aprecciated.
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Chris Berry <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 10:31:14 +0100

> could not open default font 'fixed'

 Sounds like you haven't got any fonts. Have you installed the fonts RPM?
Try:

 rpm --install
ftp://ftp.arm.uk.linux.org/pub/armlinux/distrib/RedHat/RPMS/X11-fonts-6.0-1a3.arm.rpm

 Cheers,

Chris.

-- 
Chris Berry      Senior Software Engineer, Acorn Group, Cambridge, UK.

            Don't waste your CPU cycles - distribute them!
                     http://www.distributed.net/
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 11:14:50 +0100 (BST)

> ftp://ftp.arm.uk.linux.org/pub/armlinux/distrib/RedHat/RPMS/X11-fonts-6.0-1a3.arm.rpm

One word of warning here - it's a biggie.  The X11-fonts rpm is rather 
large, so make sure, if you're dialling up, that it's cheap-phone-calls time.

Phil

-- 
Rule of programming #1: Everything that can go wrong will go wrong,
	except when you're running the debugger.

Phil Norman, mailing from Exeter University.
email:	[email-masked]
URL:	http://newton.ex.ac.uk/general/ug/norman

---

From: Richard Bradbury <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 14:48:31 +0100

> could not open default font 'fixed'

Try startx instead of xinit.  It should sort out your font path for you.
(You must be root to use it I think.)

Anybody out there using xdm successfully?

-- 
Richard.

---

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 16:34:38 +0100 (BST)

> (You must be root to use it I think.)

Nope - anyone can use startx.  It's the way I start up X and it works 
beautifully.  It's a bit off-topic, but here's a humourous little 
anecdote (sp?) for you.

I was logged onto a friend's (Rob) linux box and was very bored, and 
couldn't think what I could amuse myself with.  I happened to remember 
that 'startx' started up the Xserver, and I wondered if it could be done 
remotely.  After the screams of surprise from Rob's room, I realised that 
it could.

The moral of the story?  Ensure that noone can use 'startx' unless 
they're logged on locally ;-).  (Is this possible BTW?)

Bye,
Phil

-- 
Linux: The choice of a GNU generation.

---

From: Stefan Hanske <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 18:15:03 +0200 (METDST)

> The following is displayed whenever I try to run xinit :

Just try typing `startx`.
xinit needs two files to start X window - xinitrc & xserverrc. startx is a
little script which looks if there are copies in your home directory. If
not, standard files are used instead.

Btw, it's not bad to have at least an own .xinitrc in your home directory
for customizing the desktop under X window.

----------------------------------------------------------
|mailto: Stefan Hanske ([email-masked] |
|WWW : http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~shanske      |
|phone: I'm not silly                                    |
|--------------------------------------------------------|
| And don't forget to remember what you remembered not   |
| to forget to remember...				 |
----------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 17:28:40 +0100

>they're logged on locally ;-).  (Is this possible BTW?)

You can write a wrapper program round the X server to do this.

p.

---

From: Dana K Scully <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 14:49:43 +0100

> Anybody out there using xdm successfully?

good question.

I'm getting the following when I try to use it.
[extract from /var/log/messages]

May 31 13:37:15 x-files kernel: fcntl_setlk() called by process 86
(syslogd) with broken flock() emulation
May 31 13:37:33 x-files kernel: xrdb: memory violation at pc=0x00c1a638,
lr=0x00015fc0 (bad address=0x6c2a6e69, code 1)
May 31 13:37:33 x-files kernel: xdm: memory violation at pc=0x00c1a638,
lr=0x0002b680 (bad address=0x00000000, code 1)

anyone help?

L

(not that I can boot into Linux at the mo, 'cos it still doesn't seem to
like my CDROM drive. I'm looking forward to the South East show, where I
can pester ppl who know in person. :)

* Watch out where the Huskies go and don't you eat that yellow snow!
-- 
 |        |\/|         / BSc (Hons) Chemistry (So'ton), ZFC A (Sc)
 |__esley |  |itchell / [email-masked]
 
 A woman of many talents. :)
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 19:26:44 +0100 (BST)

Dana K Scully
> (syslogd) with broken flock() emulation

That one's nothing to worry about.  It will go away when we move to
glibc.

> lr=0x0002b680 (bad address=0x00000000, code 1)

Maybe.  Bring your config file with you...

> can pester ppl who know in person. :)

Umm.  PhilN> I've decided I'm not coming any more </joke>  Whoever said
that free software meant that customers couldn't hassle you..

-- 
Set Alias$Case Set Alias$[ |||| |MSet Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ \ Matthew
"" |MSet Alias$When If %0=%%0 Then Set Alias$[ "" ||MIf %0=%%0    \ Wilcox
Then Set Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ |||||||||||||||| ||MIf       \
%0=%%0 Then Set Alias$When Set Alias$[ ||||||||||||||||
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Richard Bradbury <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 19:42:04 +0100

> lr=0x0002b680 (bad address=0x00000000, code 1)

Aha!  So it's not just me that gets this.  Seems to do the same thing with
2.0.33 and 2.0.34 on my RiscPC 600 (lr value for varies with kernel version).
The xdm process seems to survive despite the above errors.

Insight anyone?

-- 
R.

---

From: Tony Houghton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 17:03:06 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>

> That one's nothing to worry about.  It will go away when we move to

I see something like that each time I boot, but, as you say, it seems
harmless.

> Maybe.  Bring your config file with you...

I tried xdm today but it didn't work. The X background appears for a few
seconds, but then it (silently) returns to the console. If I try to run
it again nothing at all happens. It didn't print any messages, but
seeing that dks had found something in the log, I looked in the same
file and found:

Jun 12 14:48:53 localhost kernel: xrdb: memory violation at pc=0x00c1a638, lr=0x00015fc0 (bad address=0x6c2a6e69, code 1)

Hm, same as one of dks's. Which config file would you want to see?

startx works fine.

I haven't got a man file for X though :-(.

-- 
  \_________________
                    \  http://homepages.tcp.co.uk/~tonyh/
   The Curling Pages \ The home of WinEd, Bombz and POPstar for RISC OS
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 20:06:16 +0100 (BST)

> Just try typing `startx`.

You should never need to call xinit directly, startx is the accepted way of
starting an X session when you're not using xdm.

> xinit needs two files to start X window - xinitrc & xserverrc.

It doesn't actually require these files - it has builtin defaults which are
to run the X server with no options and to provide one xterm with a title of
'Login'.

However, the solution is along these lines - what I have is the system-wide
xserverrc file (/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc) containing:

exec /usr/X11R6/bin/X -terminate -fp /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/ -s 0

This removes the empty font directories from the default font path, and allows
the X server to start.  (The server doesn't like empty font directories).
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |