Subject: Hmm. memory...

From: Ian Molton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 01:16:23 +0100

I seem to be running out of memory when I try to compile GIMP.

the box /doesnt/ seem to want to use it's swap space (it has a total of
88Mb including swap (40Mb is swap)) and 2Mb VRAM

I heard that some problem exists with programs not being allowed to use
more than a set maximum of memory....

<puzzled>

-- 
-Ian aka Lennier
Acorn Computers, the best in the world
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hawk/
BaBe - Womens human rights organisation in Croatia
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hawk/babe/

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 09:46:04 +0100

>more than a set maximum of memory....

It's not a problem.  Read the manual page for ulimit.

(and this sort of question isn't ARM specific, so it doesn't really belong on 
this mailing list)

p.

---

From: David Forbes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 10:05:24 +0100 (BST)

> It's not a problem.  Read the manual page for ulimit.

If you can't find a separate man page for ulimit, you might have to look
in the bash man page (or tcsh if you're using that, in which case you'll
be looking for unlimit instead).

D.

---

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 11:22:05 +0100 (BST)

> I seem to be running out of memory when I try to compile GIMP.

*giggle*  Don't try compiling the GIMP.  Well, not unless you have 
absolutely TONS of hard drive space, or if you have an ELF compiler+binutils.

I say this because the GIMP contains approximately 100 'plug-ins' which 
all (using the standard a.out compiler+binutils) have to be statically 
linked with the right libraries.  This results in 100 3-meg (ish) 
binaries.  Not your friend.  This is one of the reasons I'm currently 
trying to compile up some ELF glibc/gcc/binutils.

BTW, I mentioned I had that problem with glibc, where it said something 
about attributes for a certain target type not being supported.  All the 
binaries in the '/usr/src/glibc/csu' directory build perfectly well, and 
I 'file'd them and they all came out to be ELF 32-bit LSB thingies, so 
it's not me using the wrong compiler.

Any more ideas on that?

Cheers,
Phil

-- 
Rule of programming #5: If a C program gives more than 50 compiler
	errors, you've missed out a semicolon.

Phil Norman, mailing from Exeter University.
email:	[email-masked]
URL:	http://newton.ex.ac.uk/general/ug/norman

---

From: Toby Haynes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 12:08:30 +0100 (BST)

> absolutely TONS of hard drive space, or if you have an ELF compiler+binutils.

Ah. Now what is the current availability of ELF compilers/binutils?

> trying to compile up some ELF glibc/gcc/binutils.

Any success yet?

> it's not me using the wrong compiler.

I'm a bit wary about the version of 'file' on the 2.0.34 distribution. It
thought a core dump from one of the rpm-installed programs was an 8086
binary...

Cheers,
	Toby
_______________________________________________________________________
Toby Haynes       | "Alarm clock? Oh, you mean the sad pile of
Rm 965, MRAO      |  cogs and twisted springs under that dent
Uni. of Cambridge |  in the wall?"

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 12:12:26 +0100

>it's not me using the wrong compiler.

It's weird.  The error you got is only generated if ASM_OUTPUT_SECTION_NAME 
isn't defined, and this should be in config/arm/elf.h.

p.

---

From: Ian Molton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 15:05:36 +0100

On 23 Jun, David Forbes <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > >I heard that some problem exists with programs not being allowed to
> > >use more than a set maximum of memory....
> > 

> D.

Thanks! - I didnt know it wasnt ARMlinux specific - a PC owning friend of
mine said it went straight off...

---

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 16:59:27 +0100 (BST)

> isn't defined, and this should be in config/arm/elf.h.

Here's what I get after `locate elf.h`:

/usr/include/elf.h
/usr/include/libelf.h
/usr/src/binutils-2.9.1.0.6/gas/config/obj-elf.h
/usr/src/gcc-2.8.1/config/alpha/elf.h
/usr/src/gcc-2.8.1/config/arm/elf.h
/usr/src/gcc-2.8.1/config/arm/linux-elf.h
/usr/src/gcc-2.8.1/config/i386/freebsd-elf.h
/usr/src/gcc-2.8.1/config/i386/osfelf.h
/usr/src/gcc-2.8.1/config/mips/elf.h
/usr/src/gcc-2.8.1/config/sh/elf.h
/usr/src/gcc-2.8.1/config/sparc/elf.h
/usr/src/gcc-2.8.1/config/sparc/sp64-elf.h
/usr/src/glibc-2.0.94/elf/elf.h
/usr/src/glibc-2.0.94/elf/elf.h.orig
/usr/src/glibc-2.0.94/include/elf.h
/usr/src/linux/include/asm-alpha/elf.h
/usr/src/linux/include/asm-arm/elf.h
/usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386/elf.h
/usr/src/linux/include/asm-m68k/elf.h
/usr/src/linux/include/asm-mips/elf.h
/usr/src/linux/include/asm-ppc/elf.h
/usr/src/linux/include/asm-sparc/elf.h
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/elf.h

Which one of these should it be?

What would the OUTPUT_SECTION_NAME be called when the compiler was built 
for producing ELF binaries?  ASM_ARM_LINUX?  I tried grepping for 
ASM_ARM_LINUX and it's not defined anywhere.  Could it be something to do 
with me building the gcc/binutils with target=/usr/elf, and then glibc 
not being able to find the include files?

Any idea?

Cheers,
Phil

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 17:05:18 +0100

>Here's what I get after `locate elf.h`:

No - you misunderstand.  "config/arm/elf.h" is part of the GCC source code.

>for producing ELF binaries?  ASM_ARM_LINUX?  I tried grepping for 

It's a macro that tells the compiler how to output a section name, actually.  
The relevant bit of elf.h is this (it's at about line 450).

/* Switch into a generic section.
   This is currently only used to support section attributes.

   We make the section read-only and executable for a function decl,
   read-only for a const data decl, and writable for a non-const data decl.  */
#define ASM_OUTPUT_SECTION_NAME(FILE, DECL, NAME, RELOC) \
  fprintf (FILE, ".section\t%s,\"%s\",@progbits\n", NAME, \
	   (DECL) && TREE_CODE (DECL) == FUNCTION_DECL ? "ax" : \
	   (DECL) && DECL_READONLY_SECTION (DECL, RELOC) ? "a" : "aw")

>not being able to find the include files?

I don't think that's very likely.  It sounds like an internal compiler problem.

p.

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 22:02:07 +0100 (BST)

> (and this sort of question isn't ARM specific, so it doesn't really belong on 

It is ARM specific, and it's not ulimit.  It belongs on this mailing list
because it's the position of the C Library at 12MB.

If you've got 40MB or so, it's pretty hard to be able to swap, unless you're
running a lot of processes... (and I mean a lot - with 50 processes running at
the moment, I'm not using any swap so far, but then all I've been doing for
the past two hours is processing my email). ;)
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |