Subject: The arm-ps2 uk keyboard map

From: Melanie Rhianna Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 17:25:31 +0100 (BST)

Whats the keycode for the #/~ key next to return as I would like to edit
this map so that the keys produce the characters they have on them.

Melanie

-- 
==========================================================================
Melanie Rhianna Lewis                           [email-masked]

    Brought to you by Melanie's RiscPC, Stormbringer running ArmLinux!
==========================================================================

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Tony Houghton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 19:09:32 +0100

In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.980623172438.3427B-100000@stormbringer>

> this map so that the keys produce the characters they have on them.

I can't remember, but I had just the same problem. But by browsing
related man pages I found a program called showkey IIRC which tells you
the codes of any keys you press.

-- 
  \_________________
                    \  http://homepages.tcp.co.uk/~tonyh/
   The Curling Pages \ The home of WinEd, Bombz and POPstar for RISC OS
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Stefan Hanske <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 11:08:32 +0200 (METDST)

> the codes of any keys you press.

As I remember, the keys are numbered due to a simple sceme. Key No. 1 is 
<F1>, key #2 is <F2>, ... Just go through the rows of you keyboard, 
number the keys and you should get the right key#. I wrote a german 
keyboard map for RiscPC and A5K this way.

You can put it everywhere you want on disk, but you have to edit 
/etc/sysconfig/keyboard.

----------------------------------------------------------
|mailto: Stefan Hanske ([email-masked] |
|WWW : http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~shanske      |
|phone: I'm not silly                                    |
|--------------------------------------------------------|
| And don't forget to remember what you remembered not   |
| to forget to remember...				 |
----------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Sam Kington <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 12:06:12 +0100

> this map so that the keys produce the characters they have on them.

Depends what type of keyboard you have - my Risc PC 600 (since upgraded
to StrongARM) has the #/~ key between = and Backspace, and there's a
blank space in the relevant .map file that you can fill in. The Gateway
machine I'm using here, though, had the #/~ key between ' and Return,
and it sounds that's the type of keyboard you have.

In general, though, if all the other keys on your keyboard are returning
the right codes, but one key isn't doing anything, its entry in the .map
file will probably be blank. Keycodes tend to start at the top left and
go from left to right, top to bottom, so scanning through the .map file
should help you find the missing keys.

A tip I can suggest is to use loadmap from the command line as an easy
way of experimenting with keyboard layouts. Also, don't do this sort of
stuff under X.

My machine is now set up to use # and ~ properly, and 3 is set up to
produce a pound sign. Unfortunately, I can't get it to actually *print*
a pound sign - it recognises the "sterling" name, but won't do anything
with it. Any ideas? (I remember someone on this list offering to mail
people their keyboard map file, so I know someone's tackled this
before.)

Sam
-- 
INWO Homebrew: http://www.illuminated.co.uk/inwo/
More of my stuff: http://www.illuminated.co.uk/
Not my employer's opinion, no snappy quote
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Melanie Rhianna Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 17:27:45 +0100 (BST)

> this map so that the keys produce the characters they have on them.

Sussed it myself thanks.

Melanie

---

From: Richard Bradbury <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 17:18:07 +0100

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998 12:06:12, Sam Kington wrote:
> with it. Any ideas?

bash doesn't allow you to enter top bit characters directly, although I
heard a rumour that there is a clever way to quote such characters (the
one in question is octal 243).  Curiously, csh lets you do this without
needing to quote.

In X, things are better worked out, and you should be able to enter top
bit characters into text widgets without any problems.

-- 
R.