Subject: Partitions, and how to find them

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 15:05:01 +0100 (BST)

Hi!

I'm currently writing LinuFS, which is a simple filing system hack to 
allow IscaFS to have its own filing system.  I've written the code to 
allow it to read the linux partition table, but it'll only find it on 
ADFS drives ATM.

I seem to remember RMK mentioning something about a library he has which 
allows the partition table to be found on all kinds of drive, and I'd 
like to build the same kind of support into LinuFS (although I'll 
probably have to rewrite it since LinuFS is in assembler).  Since RMK is 
still on holiday for a while yet, can anyone tell me where I can find 
this library, if it exists.

Thanks,
Phil

P.S. If anyone has things such as IDEFS etc and would like to test 
whatever code I produce to read the non-ADFS discs, please let me 
know.  I don't have access to a machine with anything unADFS.

-- 
Rule of programming #4: The length of time taken to find a bug is
	directly proportional to its simplicity.

Phil Norman, mailing from Exeter University.
email:	[email-masked]
URL:	http://newton.ex.ac.uk/general/ug/norman

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 21:23:32 +0100 (BST)

> this library, if it exists.

There's a slightly older version of it on the FTP site as part of the alpha
ARM fdisk.  Being fdisk, it is the Linux variant of it, and it doesn't have
the relevent calls to the DiscOp/SectorOp swis there, but it'll give you some
idea as to how to use it.  The library that you mostly communicate with is
'part' - it knows all about partitions.  Have a look at part.h for info on
the functions it provides.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |