Subject: Random NFAQs

From: tlawton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 1998 17:50:10 +0100

Can anyone tell me what is "net-pf-5" and why every time I boot up I am told
it can't be found. The system works fine so I guess it's not vital.

 Does the "strip" command remove debugging information from a binary and
therefore decrease its size?

 Can anyone supply the mknod numbers for using hde and hdf. Before the
messing around with my system I've done, they were working but now only hda
is mentioned when the kernel boots up, and in the /dev/ directory there is
only up to hdd.

 Thanks,
 
 Tom

-- 

.... "The body is given out on loan - don't waste it and expect to use it
tomorrow." - Shapiro
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 1998 18:54:12 +0100

>it can't be found. The system works fine so I guess it's not vital.

Just ignore it.  It's actually Appletalk; what happens is that ifconfig goes 
to find out whether this protocol is available, and this causes kerneld to try 
to load it.  You can put something like `alias net-pf-5 off' in your 
/etc/modules.conf to stop the messages.

>therefore decrease its size?

Yes. 

>is mentioned when the kernel boots up, and in the /dev/ directory there is

Do you really have that many disks?  hde is 33,0 and hdf is 33,64.

p.

---

From: James Craig <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 09:43:43 +0100 (BST)

> it can't be found. The system works fine so I guess it's not vital.
Appletalk support or IPX support (net-pf-5 and net-pf-4 - I can't remember
which is which, and 99% of the time, it doesn't matter)
Yes.
> is mentioned when the kernel boots up, and in the /dev/ directory there is
Try using the MAKEDEV script in /dev/ - It knows how to create them.

--
James Craig <[email-masked]>
            <[email-masked]>