Subject: gethostent missing ?

From: Angelo Melis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 15:39:55 +0000 (GMT)

Hello,

First a thank you to all who replied with solutions fo several problems I had
with compiling under ARMLinux. I finally compiled my first C++ program under
ARMLinux, and it does something (most of the time core dumping *grin*).

But I came across the call gethostent and the linker is complaining that
this function is missing. It is defined in the header files, but not in
the library file. Does someone have a library which includes this file ?
Are is there someone who knows how I can make a library which holds this
function ?

And another question. What is the difference between GCC 2.7.2 and GCC 2.8.0
(1 ?) ? Is it better to upgrade the compiler, or is the output of GCC 2.7.2
better then GCC 2.8.0 ? I don't want to compile my own kernels, but I would
like to continue porting the project I am working on. And what is the status
of shared libraries ? Is it usable under ARMLinux and if so, how do I make
shared libraries ?

Thanks in advance,
Angelo

-- 
Angelo Melis
Software Engineer
email: [email-masked]
quote of the day: "I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK."

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 15:58:45 +0100

>of shared libraries ? Is it usable under ARMLinux and if so, how do I make

Shared libraries are hard with a.out.  You can do it but I don't advise you to 
bother.  When we have working ELF support (not long now) it will be a lot 
easier - just a case of doing

$ gcc -shared -o libfoo.so bar.o baz.o ...

p.