Subject: State of Java?

From: Toby Haynes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 17:29:46 +0100 (BST)

I'm a bit of a newbie on this mailing list, so I apologise if this has 
been dealt with earlier (I've already grep'ed my way through the entire 
mail digest though so I hope I'm safe!).

What tools currently exist for Java development under ARM Linux? I've 
visited the Java-Linux site, which has JDK Linux ports for four 
platforms, but there's no mention of anything ARM related. A JavaVM, JRE, 
etc. would prove useful! Or has anything come out from Corel yet, who 
appear to be looking at Java support for ARMLinux?

Thanks,
	Toby
_______________________________________________________________________
Toby Haynes       | "Alarm clock? Oh, you mean the sad pile of
Rm 965, MRAO      |  cogs and twisted springs under that dent
Uni. of Cambridge |  in the wall?"

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: John Lindley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 21:08:20 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Toby Haynes wrote:

[Snip]
> appear to be looking at Java support for ARMLinux?
ATM there is a freeware compiler called guavav. I haven't yet tried
compiling itbut AFAIK this is the only java compiler available for Linux
outside the JDK. For compiling I've found thesource to a virtual machine
for Linux but I can't remember the exact name.Thereis a link from
www.doc.ic.ac.uk.
 
+----------------------------------------------------------------+
|		    | _ |_ ._   | o._  _|| _			 |
|		  \_|(_)| || |  |_|| |(_||(/_\/			 |	
|	 	                             / 			 |
+-------------------------------+--------------------------------+
| WWW				| E-Mail			 |
|  www.BITS.bris.ac.uk/~john	|  [email-masked]		 |
+-------------------------------+--------------------------------+
|     ...Doh said Pooh, suffering from an identity crisis        |
+----------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: "Neil A. Carson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 21:35:53 +0100

> for Linux but I can't remember the exact name.Thereis a link from

Kaffe runs on NetBSD on the ARM, so a Linux port should be trivial
because all the changes were ARM- rather than OS-dependant from memory
(apart from a couple of things which depend on the locations of
registers within a jump buffer, yuck).

	Neil

-- 
Neil A. Carson

---

From: David Forbes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 00:17:02 +0100 (BST)

> Kaffe runs on NetBSD on the ARM, so a Linux port should be trivial

It does?  I tried compiling it from pkgsrc (supped midnight daily) and it
said x86 only?  Do I have to go somewhere special to get this?  (Apologies
if I'm being obtuse here...)

Thanks,
David.

---

From: "Neil A. Carson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 00:59:03 +0100

ARM support is *certainly* in the latest Kaffe version. Try
ftp.transvirtual.com. from memory, or see the port-arm32 announcement
from the guy who ported it. I reckon it shouldn't take more than a few
minutes to get a linux version up.

-- 
Neil A. Carson