Subject: Ok, gcc works, but my compiler doesn't like compiling kernels...

From: dooby <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 09:19:44 +0100 (BST)

When trying to compile my own 2.0.33 (latest patch IFAIK) I got this :-

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -m3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strength-reduce -pipe  -c -o arp.o arp.c
In file included from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/fddidevice.h:25,
                 from arp.c:91:
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/if_fddi.h:69: parse error before `__attribute__'
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/if_fddi.h:78: parse error before `__attribute__'
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/if_fddi.h:89: parse error before `__attribute__'
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/if_fddi.h:103: parse error before `__attribute__'
arp.c: In function `arp_send':
arp.c:1680: warning: `skb' might be used uninitialized in this function
arp.c:1702: warning: `skb' might be used uninitialized in this function
arp.c:1703: warning: `skb' might be used uninitialized in this function
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/skbuff.h:392: warning: `tmp' might be used uninitialized in this function
make[3]: *** [arp.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/net/ipv4'
make[2]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/net/ipv4'
make[1]: *** [sub_dirs] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/net'
make: *** [linuxsubdirs] Error 2

I can't see this in the FAQ - is this me being stupid with options (I want
my Ether3 working) or is is a patch bug?

TIA

dooby

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: dooby <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 13:06:04 +0100 (BST)

I'm afraid I have no idea what FDDI devices are - I just let a mate of
mine (who is a peecee linux guru) configure it as best we could work out,
and set it off.

Everything else seems to work reasonably - I can even get X running, but
not 256 cols for some reason... modes 28 and 21 just upset it. [dooby,
rapidly heading off track]

All I wanted was Ether3 support to join our flat network from linux (sob,
sob!)

cheers,

dooby

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 12:59:16 +0100 (BST)

dooby
> /usr/src/linux/include/linux/if_fddi.h:103: parse error before `__attribute__'

I've never seen this before.  Did you include FDDI devices when you were
compiling your kernel or something?  If not, send the results of
grep [ym] /usr/src/linux/.config to the list.

-- 
Set Alias$Case Set Alias$[ |||| |MSet Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ \ Matthew
"" |MSet Alias$When If %0=%%0 Then Set Alias$[ "" ||MIf %0=%%0    \ Wilcox
Then Set Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ |||||||||||||||| ||MIf       \
%0=%%0 Then Set Alias$When Set Alias$[ ||||||||||||||||
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 13:20:55 +0100 (BST)

> mine (who is a peecee linux guru) configure it as best we could work out,

Hmmm.  I'd like to see your config.

> All I wanted was Ether3 support to join our flat network from linux (sob,

Can't you just insmod the ether3 driver that matches your kernel?  Get
the modules package from the ftp site (not modutils..)