Subject: LongFiles support in the ADFS fs

From: matthew <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 09:51:03 +0100

Has anyone considered putting LongFiles support into the ADFS
filesystem?  If not, I'm looking for a chance to get into kernel hacking
so I volunteer myself.

Comments anyone?

Matt
-==-

-- 
Matthew Godbolt mailing from work
[email-masked]
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Sam Kington <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 1998 10:49:45 +0100

> filesystem?  If not, I'm looking for a chance to get into kernel hacking

Isn't there already some method of handling image file systems? ISTR
someone muttering about the loopback mechanism as a method of doing
this, unless I was terminally confused.

Sam
-- 
Home page: http://www.illuminated.co.uk/
INWO Homebrew has moved: http://www.illuminated.co.uk/inwo/
Not my employer's opinion, no snappy quote
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 11:03:01 +0100 (BST)

> this, unless I was terminally confused.

Longfilenames isn't an image filing system.  It works as a module, 
probably sitting on the FileV and all the other vectors (under RiscOS) 
which are anything to do with filenames.  It detects the user trying to 
create/copy/whatever a file with a long filename and if there is going to 
be one in directory A, it creates a file called '!!!!!!!!Z!' in the 
directory, which contains mappings of short filenames to long filenames, 
and names the file whose filename is to be long as (C)JPT_xxx where xxx 
starts from 000 and goes up to 009, then 00a etc etc.  Then, when 
filename information is requested is modifies the data returned by 
FileCore so all the (C)JPT_ files are changed to their long equivalents.  
And, of course, it forces the !!!!!!!!Z! file to never be displayed.

Unfortunately this way of doing things is a pain when mounting filecore 
partitions under linux, since a longfilenamed directory's long filenamed 
files are just (C)JPT_xxx, and so you can't tell what they really are 
except by either taking a look at the file or by lessing the !!!!!!!!Z! 
file (if you understand the file format) which is a pain in the neck, 
since it requires you to escape EVERY ! in the filename, like so:

less \!\!\!\!\!\!\!\!Z\!

Erk!

So best of luck with it Matt - it'll be useful :-)

-- 
Rule of programming #4: The length of time taken to find a bug is
	directly proportional to its simplicity.

Phil Norman, mailing from Exeter University.
email:	[email-masked]
URL:	http://newton.ex.ac.uk/general/ug/norman