Subject: Re: What do ppl make of this one?

From: Ian Molton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 13:40:34 +0100

On 18 Jun, Ian Jeffray <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Ian,

> Here's a BIG clue as to what's wrong:

> > /usr/include/errno.h:27: linux/errno.h: No such file or directory

Yes, and like I said, I tried to put the kernel sources in to fix this,
which led to a very long string of errors...

> > ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux /usr/include ln -s
> > /usr/src/linux/include/asm /usr/include ln -s
> > /usr/src/linux/include/scsi /usr/include ]]]]
> >
> > and I then get these errors (quite long, sorry!)

> Of course the "errors" will get long, you've done a VERY silly thing
> there! Not only have you tried to link three things to the same place,
> you've somehow managed to completely obviate the contents of
> /usr/include... which you DID say you had "deleted in a fit of
> stupidity" or something!

I was only following advice from the mailinglist archive, which I was
pointed to by someone else!!!

also, IIRC, I did say I'd managed to restore /usr/include.

> > Anyone got /any/ idea whats going on? this is driving me nuts!
> And YOU are beginning to drive US nuts.

Well, sorry!

> > Any help MUCH appreciated!

> Your spammy compiler output is *NOT* appreciated, especially when you
> keep on whinging about the same problem over and over and over.

Well, sorry, but I /was/ asked for the compiler's output (cant remember who
by, sorry!)

> First off, undo all those silly links you made... /usr/include should
> NEVER be linked to anything.

okay...

> Second, go away and install the proper /usr/include files from the
> distribution.

That's been done.

> Third, install the appropriate linux sources for your kernel (ie 2.0.34)
> in the usual place (/usr/include/linux) ... there you'll see the
> "include/linux" dir, which contains the kernel-specific headers.

> Third, /usr/include/linux should be a symlink to
> /usr/src/linux/include/linux
> (ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux /usr/include/linux )

Okay...

> What I've mentioned here is not specific to ARM linux, but to linux in
> general, and you would be well advised to read up a bit more about linux
> if you're going to try compiling anything, to save your own
> embarrasment, if nothing else.

Well, I tried man gcc (not a lot of help!) and I've also asked some people
on the #linux IRC channel (no-one had any idea what was up) I also tried
looking for a linux-general type FAQ, because I've already been told it's a
general point of linux. As you may have guessed, I didnt find what I was
looking for. So I posted here, where I /know/ there's at least 1 person who
knows whats up.

> Good luck with your compiling, but, please, no more silly and spammy
> posts to the list.

it wasnt intended to be spammy - I was asked for a complete list of the
output of the compiler.

It wasnt /that/ big (3 pages, IIRC)

Cya!

-- 
-Ian aka Lennier
Acorn Computers, the best in the world
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hawk/
BaBe - Womens human rights organisation in Croatia
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hawk/babe/

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 14:53:48 +0100

>> there! Not only have you tried to link three things to the same place,

No, you haven't.  `ln' is like `cp' - if the destination exists and is
a directory, then the link is made _inside_ that directory with the same
leafname as the source file.

p.