Subject: GDB? libdl.so

From: Vincent PENNE <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 14:13:02 +0200

Philip Blundell wrote:
> 
> > Is GDB ported on arm-linux ?
> 
> I think Russell has a version of GDB for arm-linuxaout, yes.  An ELF one also
> exists.
> 
> p.

I am not the first one to ask about GDB, but I've never seen any clear
answer. Are there any version of GDB ported on arm-linux ? If yes, why
aren't they available ?

 Vincent.

-- 
/==========================================================\
|     Vincent PENNE,          Centre de Physique Theorique |
|Tel. (0033)4 91 26 95 04       CNRS - LUMINY - Case 907   |
|Fax. (0033)4 91 26 95 53      F-13288 MARSEILLE CEDEX 9   |
|Email: [email-masked]          FRANCE              |
|http://www.cpt.univ-mrs.fr                                |
\==========================================================/
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 15:21:16 +0100

>answer. Are there any version of GDB ported on arm-linux ? If yes, why

An ELF version exists and I will make it available with the rest of the ELF 
toolset soon.  For the a.out one you should ask Russell since as far as I know 
he's the only person who has it.

p.

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 20:52:01 +0100 (BST)

> answer. Are there any version of GDB ported on arm-linux ? If yes, why

The problem is that I can't give GDB away as is, and the version I have is
quite old.  My gdb only works on A5000 core dump files and running processes
on either architecture, so I don't see any point in releasing the binary
(it'll create more problems than solutions).  It would be better for someone
else to port it, then send me the patches against an RPM, and then it'll
become part of the distribution.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Jon Olson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 13:56:56 -0700

Actually, I tried building gdb-4.17 last week for the ARM.  Ran
into two problems, though:

  1) The PTRACE interface seems to be missing the ability to read
     the user structure via PTRACE_PEEKUSR.  At least I couldn't
     find this defined in the header files.  Does anybody know
     the status of ptrace() under arm-linux.
  2) Building the entire release with `gdbtk' really wants ELF
     and dynamic linking available.  I'd really like to get an ELF
     distribution, but I'm missing several pieces like a working
     `crt1.o'.

Anybody know the status of ELF linux for ARM?  Is anybody working
on it?

-- 
Jon Olson, Modular Mining Systems
	   3289 E. Hemisphere Loop
	   Tucson, AZ 85706
INTERNET:  [email-masked]
PHONE:     (520)746-9127
FAX:       (520)889-5790
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 12:31:04 +0100 (BST)

Jon Olson
> Anybody know the status of ELF linux for ARM?  Is anybody working

Phil Blundell said he'd release an ELF toolchain RSN.

-- 
Set Alias$Case Set Alias$[ |||| |MSet Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ \ Matthew
"" |MSet Alias$When If %0=%%0 Then Set Alias$[ "" ||MIf %0=%%0    \ Wilcox
Then Set Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ |||||||||||||||| ||MIf       \
%0=%%0 Then Set Alias$When Set Alias$[ ||||||||||||||||
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Jon Olson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 06:48:05 -0700

Hmmm... `ELF toolchain' implies a compiler and binutils... I already
built those.  What takes real time and effort is building libc,
everything else that links to it including X11, testing it, and
packaging it up in RPM files.  Is this what you're working on, Phil?

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 15:02:09 +0100

>packaging it up in RPM files.  Is this what you're working on, Phil?

No.  What I've been working on (though Scott Bambrough and Pat Beirne deserve 
credit for a lot of this) is updating the ELF compiler and binutils to support 
position-independent code and hence shared libraries, porting glibc2 to the 
ARM, and fixing the bugs so it all works together.

Once this is done, building an entire system and packaging it in RPM files 
should just be a mechanical matter of feeding it all through `rpm'.  Most of 
the difficulties people have in building things for Linux/ARM at the moment 
are quirks of a.out or the stone-age libc that we use.

p.

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 22:31:49 +0100

>Anybody know the status of ELF linux for ARM?  Is anybody working

Yes.  We should be able to release a complete toolset later this week.

p.

---

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 09:41:30 +0100 (BST)

> Yes.  We should be able to release a complete toolset later this week.

Cool!  Will it be stable enough for being demonstrated on the armlinux 
stand at the South-East show?

There's another thing - you all must come to the South-East show - it'll 
be great :-)  Those lovely people at the ARM Club have allocated us a 
little stand next to the bring&buy stand.  Do drop in and say hi if 
you're going to be there.

In order to make the armlinux stand as impressive as possible, I'm going 
to spend the week and a half between my exams and the show downloading, 
compiling and installing as many funky programs (preferably X) that I 
can, especially the ones that look pretty.  If anyone has any programs 
they know work under armlinux X and won't be too much of a problem to 
compile, could they please let me know where to get hold of the source.

Thanks in advance, and hopefully I'll see plenty of armlinuxers at the 
show.  Bye,
Phil

-- 
Rule of programming #2: Everything that can go wrong will go wrong,
	but only on other people's configurations.

Phil Norman, mailing from Exeter University.
email:	[email-masked]
URL:	http://newton.ex.ac.uk/general/ug/norman