Subject: Zip install

From: [email-masked] (Simon John)
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 1998 15:11:47 +0100

I've managed to get my Zip drive working with the ARM Linux 2.0.33
installer - it's now recognised as sda4.

When I try to install from the Zip disk with the files on it I keep getting
the message 'cannot find installation tree' - it was mounting the drive as a
MSDOS-type disk, however all of the files are truncated into MSDOS-style
filenames instead of the VFAT-type from Windoze95 (which I downloaded it onto
the Zip disk through).

What is the normal intallation routine - obviously it's not through this Zip
disk method - and everybody can't be using that crap 'copy from the X-Files
directory on the ClanCD into millions of Zip archives and decompress onto
the Linux partition' method?
-- 
Simon E. John
Email: [email-masked]
WWW: http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/simonj

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Dave Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 1998 18:08:20 +0100 (BST)

> filenames instead of the VFAT-type from Windoze95 (which I downloaded it onto

Hmm - I've noticed that if I bung a VFAT ZIP disk in and just mount
without stating file system type it will mount it as MSDOS without the
VFAT features. If I mount with -tvfat I'm OK.
I wonder what happens if you build a kernel without MSDOS (but with fat
and vfat) whether it will pick it up straight off?

Dave

 --------------------------------------------------------------------
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert      | Running Linux on Alpha & ARM         \ 
\   gro.gilbert @ treblig.org | ------- Happy in hex -------         /
 \____________________________|___ http://www.treblig.demon.co.uk __/