Subject: RE: Installing

From: Simon Ogilvie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 12:41:09 +0100

>
>> but copying them into a RiscOS partition truncates the filenames.
>
>This doesn't matter at all, although it might be best if you ensure 
>all the files end in .arm.rpm.  

That's good news!  There were a few that resulted in non-unique
filenames, but once spotted that's easy to fix.  I'll try adding the
..arm.rpm extensions.
>
>For some reason, the installer does put up loads of complaint boxes, 
>although what they're complaining about exactly has always puzzled me.  
>Ignoring these doesn't seem to produce any problems (in fact the PC 
>redhat does the same).  Such lines complain about a certain package, 
>giving a line number.  If it's just these you're getting ignore them.

It is indeed just these.  That's also very good news - thanks!

>Tip for getting past these - pressing 'Return' causes the RedHat window 
>manager thingy to make the 'OK' button press down.  This takes a small 
>amount of time, and the boxes can be skipped more quickly by using F12 
>(to go to the next screen).

Yes, that would speed things up a little...  I'll try that next time.
As it's my "first time" I'm  perhaps overcautious about doing
things right, and don't want to mess anything up.
>
>> The machine by the way is a SA110 RiscPC600 with the Acorn
>> IDE controller (original), 48Mb RAM, and a Quantum Fireball 1.2Gb
>> drive partitioned into RiscOS (450Mb), Linux table (few Kb), Linux
>> root (700Mb) and Linux swap (128Mb).  Is that a fair config?
>
>I shouldn't think you'll need so much swap.  I find it reasonably 
>difficult to use my swap, and I've only got 22M.  Unless you're intending 
>to use tons of memory for something, you could probably get away with no 
>swap at all (although having a little is probably wise).

Yes, I guess that's true.  I'm new to Linux (does it show? ;-) but not
to
UNIX, and the usual machines I use at work are HP's with up to 1Gb
of memory and 2Gb of swap.  I was always advised to try to have twice
as much swap as physical RAM, and preferably more, so perhaps I
overdid it a bit here!  As I've put RiscOS back on the first partition I
think I'll leave it as it is now though.

Thanks for your help Phil.  It seems I'm not as far from a working
Linux box as I thought :-)  Hopefully I'll complete the install tonight.

Thanks,
Simon.

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]