Subject: Starting out troubles...

From: "Samuel Kock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 12:37:38 CAT-2

Hi

I just about a week ago installed my copy of ARMLinux from the Clan 
CDROM, using the instructions given by someone whose name I cannot 
remember right now. It worked like a charm, I must add.

Now, I only have a few questions. Bear in mind I do not know *that* 
much of Linux, so have some patience.

First, my machine configuration

StrongARM RISCPC, 25Mb (24+1) RAM, 4Gb HDD, 540 Mb HDD( Linux one), 
Linux kernel version 2.0.34. !linux 3.2 something or other. 

OK, here goes my questions...

1) If I try to mount my 4Gb drive it accepts the command, but nothing 
shows! I do a mount -t adfs /dev/hda1 mnt, but when I change to the 
mnt directory it is empty! What is going on?

2) Just tell me if I have this right: To compile kernel I need the 
kernel sources for 2.0.34, and the patch (also 2.0.34's) file from the 
ARMlinux ftp site.

3) Talking of compiling, I tried compiling psutils, but it won't 
work! It tells me that it cannot find the linux/<something>.h file. 
Is there something I did not install? If I can get this working, 
chances are I can compile fvwm2-95 etc. as well. Or is there already 
one available?

4) Can you make the minimise, maximise, close, etc window buttons 
look like the RISCOS ones? And in line with this, if I click on the 
minimize icon the window dissappears! I have to get it back via 
window list. I know this is a fvwm config option, but I do not know 
where to set it :-(.

5) How do you configure your modem and PPP-PAP internet connection? I 
tried running the modem tool from control panel, but it just tells me 
'python command not found'. I since have found the source for it, but 
cannot continue, see above. It is also not on the ARM LInux web site 
anywhere, I looked :-).

6) And finally :- How do you set up your printer to work? We have a 
Epson Stylus Colour Pro. I heard it is a schlep because it is not a 
Postscript printer, is this true?

Sorry if these questions does not really pertain to this list, but 
this is the only place I can think of to post to.

Regards

Samuel Kock
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: David Alan Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 14:45:07 +0100

> remember right now. It worked like a charm, I must add.

Welcome to ARM Linux!!

> much of Linux, so have some patience.

Don't worry we will!

> mnt directory it is empty! What is going on?

When you boot Linux you will see a line somewhere which says:

  hda: [????] hda1

Or something like that.  Can you tell us exactly what it says and if
there are any similar lineS?
Also, after you have done the 'mount' command are there any messages in
the log files? If you then just type 'mount'it should list
all the current mounts; does it include the one you just did?

> kernel sources for 2.0.34, and the patch (also 2.0.34's) file from the

Yep.

> chances are I can compile fvwm2-95 etc. as well. Or is there already

The chances are that you are missing the kernel header files which reside
normally in /usr/src/linux/include and are linked to /usr/include/linux.
If you get the kernel source and patch it as you suggest in (2) then this
will include the kernel headers.  Follow the instructions in the
linux/README file which comes with the source on making links in /usr/include.

> window list. I know this is a fvwm config option, but I do not know

fvwm can probably do what you want; there are two answers:
   1) Read the fvwm manual (BIG but comprehensive)
   2) Get as many other peoples fvwmrc's as you can and mix and match!

> cannot continue, see above. It is also not on the ARM LInux web site

You probably didn't install the python package. Python is a scripting
language which RedHat seem to like.

> Postscript printer, is this true?

Once you get RedHat's control panels working (see 5!) they should do this
for you pretty much automatically; Linux can easily be set up to take the
Postscript run it through Ghostscript to convert it to something your printer
understands and then print that.

> this is the only place I can think of to post to.

You might also like to join a general Linux mailing list; many of these
questions aren't ARM specific.

Anyway, welcome to ARM Linux!!!

Dave

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Dr. David Alan Gilbert - WARNING! This is a beta release .signature-
- Work:    dg @ cogency.co.uk        - +44-(0)161-428-9444           -
- Home:    gro.gilbert @ treblig.org -                               -
----------------------------------------------------------------------
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: "Samuel Kock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 11:22:15 CAT-2

> all the current mounts; does it include the one you just did?

To answer your questions in order:

It says hda [ADFS] hda1 then on next line
        hdb [ADFS] hdb1 [EXT2] <hdb3 hdb4> <-- I am not sure of this, 
             but it works...

Well, I do not know which log files to look in, so if you can tell 
me, I'll look.

And yes, if I type just mount the new mount is there. But it now has 
another twist: When I go to the mounted directory and do a ls it 
tells me: 
	ADFS-fs error (device 03:01): adfs_check_dir: Corrupted directory 
    inode 22200,222

Any idea what this means? I think it has to do because it is a 4Gb 
drive, under the new filecore. Because it mounts an old 420Mb drive 
perfectly...

> linux/README file which comes with the source on making links in /usr/include.

Yes, but noe I have another problem: How do you get the 6mb kernel 
source gzip file onto Linux partition? I cannot put it on 4gb drive, 
for reasons stated before. And my RISCOS partition on the other disc 
is too small :-(. I put it on a DOS partition in RISCOS, but now I 
have another question: What is that other window in !LinConfig for? 
You know, the one where you say the device number is 0301 and the 
path is whatever? Is this too see your DOS parttions under Linux? If 
so, how do you do it? Instructions are a bit scarce.

> language which RedHat seem to like.

And I get the package where? The only one I could find is the i386 
one, or the source for it. Like I said, it is not on the ARMLinux web 
site...
 
> understands and then print that.

I tried that, put I cannot make head or tail from it.  Isn't there a 
HOWTO or something?

I think we need an few ARM Linux specific HOWTO's
 
> questions aren't ARM specific.

Will do.
 
Regards

Samuel

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 22:12:05 +0100 (BST)

Samuel Kock writes:
>...

If someone sees a need and is willing to write them, then I'll happily
check them to see if there are any obvious screemers in them (when I've
got some spare time on my hands).
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |