Subject: Linux compiler funnies...

From: Ian Molton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 17:38:03 +0100

I tried the advice in the mailing list about getting the compiler to
behave, as qutoed below. BUT it didnt work - gcc now simply spews a huge
number of different errors out, I still cant compile circlemud or wget.

can anyone give a definitive guide on how to make it work, or, better
still, a definitive guide AND a list of the files which were unnecessarily
installed by the below instructions, so I can delete them?

Here's what I found in the mailinglist - it was followed to the letter...

<quote------------------->

/usr/include/linux to /usr/src/linux/include/linux
/usr/include/asm to /usr/src/linux/include/asm
/usr/include/scsi to /usr/src/linux/include/scsi

Mmm.  This _is_ a FAQ though it's not ARMLinux specific and as such
probably
isn't mentioned in Russell's FAQ.  The libc we're currently using (libc 4)
requires kernel headers in order to compile (almost) anything.  libc 6
which we will move t once we have ELF support is much less dependent upon
having the kernel headers.  There might be an RPM which contains the kernel
headers, but personally, I downloaded the linux kernel source
(ftp://sunsite.org.uk/Mirrors/ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.0/
 linux-2.0.33.tar.gz),  unpacked it into /usr/src/linux, downloaded the
latest kernel patch from Russell
(ftp://ftp.arm.uk.linux.org/pub/armlinux/kernel-sources/v2.0/), patched
the kernel to give armlinux support (cd /usr/src/linux;
zcat arm-2.0.33.gz | patch -p1), make config (this is important),
\and then set up the appropriate symlinks:

ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux /usr/include
ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/asm /usr/include
ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/scsi /usr/include

<unquote------------------------------>

I'll get there in the end!!!

Thanks!

-- 
-Ian aka Lennier
Acorn Computers, the best in the world
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hawk/
BaBe - Womens human rights organisation in Croatia
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hawk/babe/

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]