Subject: More stuff on instaling

From: Ian Molton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 05:54:50 +0100

Well, here's more on the installing saga...

The RPC/SA:-
------------

I've got this machine to install onto ADFS IDE discs by downgrading to
2.0.33 kernels. the problem seems to be that the RPC root disc has 2.0.33
modules on it, and the kernel is 2.0.34. perhaps this should be mentioned
on the downloading page?

anyway - it went trhough the install downloading happily, and right at the
end (looks like the last thing the installer does, judging by the menu), I
get a message 'kernel not found'

I can now boot from the ADFS discs, by using !Linux -bootkernel <2.0.33
kernel> with the extra parameter root=/dev/hda3

this yields a nearly working linux setup (no network, see below)

So, why did that go wrong?

anyway, on to the networking - I have an EtherH card. during bootup, it
says 'delaying etherH init.' or similar.

I assume I need to insmod the 8390.o driver, but what else do I need to do?

Anyway, I'll leave that for a while, because the ADFS disc(s) I used are
now back in my A5000 where they belong, waiting for the right root set for
it to be able to install.

I also have a Powertec SCSI III card in my RPC, and a 2 gig seagate drive
on it. this is what I hope to install linux on on my RPC. HOWEVER, when I
get it to autoprobe the Powertec card (which it seems to think is
blacklisted...) I hear a clunk from my 2 scsi devices, and thats it. it
hangs. any ideas?

the A5000
---------

This machine is (hopefully) only awaiting a new root disc which'll let it
boot with some vmemory, and actually start the installer :-)

the RPC700
----------

Misbehaving at the moment - hangs booting one of the 2.0.33 kernels -
trying another one later.

Any help appreciated!

Cya!

-- 
-Ian aka Lennier
Acorn Computers, the best in the world
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hawk/
BaBe - Womens human rights organisation in Croatia
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hawk/babe/

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 12:01:56 +0100 (BST)

Ian Molton
> modules on it, and the kernel is 2.0.34. perhaps this should be mentioned

It was mentioned by Russell on this list.

> So, why did that go wrong?

RTFFAQ.

> blacklisted...) I hear a clunk from my 2 scsi devices, and thats it. it

You've been told before; this card is not listed as being supported.
Hence it is not supported.  No-one has written a driver for it yet.

The blacklisted stuff is in fact irrelevant; I'm starting to agree
with Russell that the driver should not tell you about the loader being
blacklisted.  How about simply `loader does not support 32 bit mode'?
That's less worrying to the user than telling them it's blacklisted, IMO.

-- 
Set Alias$Case Set Alias$[ |||| |MSet Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ \ Matthew
"" |MSet Alias$When If %0=%%0 Then Set Alias$[ "" ||MIf %0=%%0    \ Wilcox
Then Set Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ |||||||||||||||| ||MIf       \
%0=%%0 Then Set Alias$When Set Alias$[ ||||||||||||||||
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]