Subject: !Linux booting problem

From: Tony Houghton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 16:03:06 +0100

Out of the blue !Linux has stopped being able to boot by
double-clicking. I have to run it from the command-line, specifying the
kernel I want on the RISC OS partition, then typing root=/dev/hda3. The
kernel I use when doing this is the same as the /vmlinuz I'm trying to
boot from on hda3.

The symptoms are that after printing the "Press ALT to access
bootloader" message and accessing the disc again (presumably to load the
kernel from hda3) it just hangs and I have to press the reset button.
The first time, my HDD failed to start up again until I switched off
altogether for a few seconds!

The strange thing is, I haven't really changed anything, I have still
got a valid kernel at /vmlinuz and /etc/boot.conf isn't corrupted. The
problem first started while /vmlinuz was actually still the precompiled
kernel from the FTP site which was working fine before.

-- 
  \_________________
                    \  http://homepages.tcp.co.uk/~tonyh/
   The Curling Pages \ The home of WinEd, Bombz and POPstar for RISC OS
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Stefan Hanske <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 09:48:52 +0200 (METDST)

> kernel from the FTP site which was working fine before.

Have you compiled a new kernel and overwritten the old one??? Then you 
need to run loadmap again since the location of the kernel on the disc 
will have changed, so the values in /boot/boot.map *need* to be updated.

----------------------------------------------------------
|mailto: Stefan Hanske ([email-masked] |
|WWW : http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~shanske      |
|phone: I'm not silly                                    |
|--------------------------------------------------------|
| And don't forget to remember what you remembered not   |
| to forget to remember...				 |
----------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 21:51:45 +0100 (BST)

> altogether for a few seconds!

'start up again'?  You mean that your hard drive stops?  Have you tried
turning off the Autospindown feature?
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Tony Houghton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 23:29:26 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>

> turning off the Autospindown feature?

This was immediately after a reset, which AFAIK normally stops the drive
if you hold the button in long enough, but then it resets and spins back
up again. IIRC it was spinning but just inaccessible for some reason.