Subject: X Window Problem

From: Chris Egan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 21:32:03 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

I've just installed Linux, on my SA RPC, without too many problems.
Unfortunately, I can't seem to get X windows to run. I installed all the RPMs
from the Acorn Clan CD.

When I try to start X I get:

X Version 11 Release 6 C Window System
(...)
Screen: 640 x 480, 16 colors
failed to set default font path '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc, /usr/X11R6/
lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/, /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/, /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/
fonts/75dpi/, /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/
fatal server error:
Could not open default font 'fixed'

As far as I can see, the directories /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/ and
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/ don't exist. As I've changed nothing since
installation, this seems strange.

I can't find the cause of this, can anybody help?

Kind Regards,
-- 
Chris Egan   Mailto:[email-masked]
Web: http://www.eganc.demon.co.uk/
Acorn Codev1.02: A3 rpc7sa*/S1000/I850/Y5/Icdx4/m3/BB1/ed+++/dc/!nl
pc--/pr+/wb++/an++/bd--/AW/F3/!bbs

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 12:27:56 +0100 (BST)

Chris Egan
> installation, this seems strange.

This is definitely a FAQ... that isn't in the FAQ.  How are you
starting X?  When I use `startx', it works for me.

-- 
Set Alias$Case Set Alias$[ |||| |MSet Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ \ Matthew
"" |MSet Alias$When If %0=%%0 Then Set Alias$[ "" ||MIf %0=%%0    \ Wilcox
Then Set Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ |||||||||||||||| ||MIf       \
%0=%%0 Then Set Alias$When Set Alias$[ ||||||||||||||||
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Chris Egan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 13:18:47 +0100 (BST)

On Sun 14 Jun, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

[snip]

> This is definitely a FAQ... that isn't in the FAQ.  How are you starting X?
> When I use `startx', it works for me.

I'm starting it with just 'X', I'll try your way. I checked the FAQ before
hand and was surprised not to see anything like this in there.

Thanks,

---

From: Ian Molton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 17:40:54 +0100

> starting X?  When I use `startx', it works for me.

Likewise - that bit me, too, until I 'discovered' startx :-)

X rules, by the way :)

-- 
-Ian aka Lennier
Acorn Computers, the best in the world
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hawk/
BaBe - Womens human rights organisation in Croatia
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hawk/babe/