Subject: ELF

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 1998 17:49:48 +0100

Hi,

I've made an initial beta release of the ELF toolset.  The release notes are 
appended to this message.  Enjoy.

Kudos should be given to Pat Beirne and Scott Bambrough, who did much of the 
hard work that was needed to get ELF running.  Also, thanks to Deborah Wallach 
for her help with testing the development versions of glibc, and to Lee Smith 
for acting as our contact in the ARM software team.

p.

--

This is a beta release of the ARM ELF toolset for Linux.  If you haven't
heard of ELF, you probably don't want to install this.

The toolset consists of the GCC compiler and the binutils suite (assembler,
linker, ...).  An ELF version of the GNU C library is also provided.  All
of these tools should also be suitable for targeting a.out systems.  Notes
on the individual packages are below.

You can find the patch files for each package at
<ftp://vger.rutgers.edu/pub/gcc/arm/> and
<http://www.tazenda.demon.co.uk/phil/armlinux/elf/>.

Currently, ELF can be used to compile kernels for both 26-bit and 32-bit
machines (ELF is a prerequisite for the 2.1 kernel series).  ELF is also
suitable for user-space binaries on 32-bit machines only.  Support for
26-bit user space ELF may be added later.

There are surely bugs in these programs.  Please report any you find to
[email-masked].  Since this is a beta release, please do NOT report bugs to
bug-gcc, etc.

Binutils 
-------- 

The latest beta release of the Linux binutils is 2.9.1.0.6 and can be found
at <ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/packages/GCC/private/tofu>.  Earlier
releases will not work.

`make check' in the GAS directory currently fails 4 tests.  This is no
cause for alarm.

GCC
---

The latest release is 2.8.1 and can be found at your local GNU mirror site.
The patch may also apply against recent versions of egcs but nothing is
guaranteed.

Glibc
-----

The latest alpha release is 2.0.94 and can be found at
<ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/glibc/>.  You will also need to get
the latest versions of the linuxthreads and crypt add-ons.  People outside
the US should use the European site for crypt (see the glibc documentation)
due to the US export laws.

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Vincent PENNE <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 14:00:17 +0200

> for acting as our contact in the ARM software team.

I have tried the new binutils with the patch for ARM. It seems to be
broken for aout format. When I compile a simple hello world program, the
program does not actually crash, but it print something like "llo world
!" instead of the right string ...

 Vincent PENNE.

-- 
/==========================================================\
|     Vincent PENNE,          Centre de Physique Theorique |
|Tel. (0033)4 91 26 95 04       CNRS - LUMINY - Case 907   |
|Fax. (0033)4 91 26 95 53      F-13288 MARSEILLE CEDEX 9   |
|Email: [email-masked]          FRANCE              |
|http://www.cpt.univ-mrs.fr                                |
\==========================================================/
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 13:34:00 +0100

>!" instead of the right string ...

It's quite possible.  Can you try to narrow down the problem?

p.

---

From: Vincent PENNE <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 13:12:17 +0200

> It's quite possible.  Can you try to narrow down the problem?

Yes : the problem is in gas. When I use binutils from the patched
version for ARM-ELF, and gas from the version 2.9.1.0.6 but not patched
for ARM-ELF, all come back to the normal. I can also use more early
version of gas (like the one in the pre-compiled distribution), which
works as well.

 Vincent Penne.

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 12:30:06 +0100

>version of gas (like the one in the pre-compiled distribution), which

OK.  Can you mail me the files you're using; the .S file and the bad .o file?

p.

---

From: Stefan Voss <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 08:42:44 +0200

In message <[email-masked]>,
     Vincent Penne wrote:

> [...]

Same behaviour as on my machine.

BTW the reason for unresolved "_xstat" symbols when building gcc was that
I didn't run configure as "configure arm-unknown-linuxaout" but without
this parameter. 

When building the stage2 compiler /usr/include/sys/stat.h was included
instead of /usr/arm-unknown-linuxaout/include/sys/stat.h.

>  Vincent Penne.

Regards,
   Stefan 
   
-- 
Stefan Voss
([email-masked])

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 13:30:18 +0100

>Same behaviour as on my machine.

I just tried to reproduce this but I can't.  Can one of you mail me the .s 
file you're using and the good and bad .o files?

p.

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 19:27:36 +0100 (BST)

Philip Blundell

> due to the US export laws.

The other bits are available in the UK, or only small patch files
are required from the US.  Are there no European mirrors of glibc
2.0.94?  Also, there are no glibc-crypt-2.0.9x add-ons available from
ftp.ifi.uio.no, is there another site which should be used for the alpha
release crypt?

Yummy, 5.2MB transatlantic..

-- 
Set Alias$Case Set Alias$[ |||| |MSet Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ \ Matthew
"" |MSet Alias$When If %0=%%0 Then Set Alias$[ "" ||MIf %0=%%0    \ Wilcox
Then Set Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ |||||||||||||||| ||MIf       \
%0=%%0 Then Set Alias$When Set Alias$[ ||||||||||||||||
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 22:30:54 +0100

>2.0.94?  Also, there are no glibc-crypt-2.0.9x add-ons available from

Not that I know of (though it's possible that part of ftp.kernel.org is 
mirrored by src.doc.ic.ac.uk).  The primary libc site used to be 
i44ftp.info.uni-karlsruhe.de, but I just checked there and it hasn't been 
updated in a while.

>ftp.ifi.uio.no, is there another site which should be used for the alpha

Again I'm not sure.  I'll try to find out.  The crypt from 2.0.7 may work 
though, not a lot has changed.

p.

---

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 15:38:13 +0100 (BST)

> due to the US export laws.

What are the uk mirrors?  It might be nice if a load of mirror sites were 
mentioned somewhere on the ftp.arm.uk.linux.org page.

Cheers,
Phil

-- 
Rule of programming #4: The length of time taken to find a bug is
	directly proportional to its simplicity.

Phil Norman, mailing from Exeter University.
email:	[email-masked]
URL:	http://newton.ex.ac.uk/general/ug/norman

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 18:55:18 +0100

>I haven't got a crypt yet;

The answer to that seems to be that any recent crypt should do.  The addon 
hasn't changed for a long time.

p.

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 17:11:12 +0100

>What are the uk mirrors?

I'm not sure if there are any to be honest.  Since glibc 2.1 is still 
development software we don't want it spread too widely.

p.

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 17:36:34 +0100 (BST)

Phil Norman
> mentioned somewhere on the ftp.arm.uk.linux.org page.

Okay, here's what I did for lowest-cross-atlantic-bandwidth:

from sunsite.org.uk:
binutils-2.9.1.0.4
gcc 2.8.1

from tazenda: Phil's three patches

from ftp.kernel.org
glibc-2.0.94
glibc-linuxthreads-2.0.94

I haven't got a crypt yet; and I've pretty much stopped trying to do
anything due to a recent family bereavement.