Subject: Linux keeps having Internal errors

From: Chris Pringle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 18:16:30 +0100 (BST)

I have now installed linux on my A5000, but every time I try to boot I get an
internal error. The boot then carries on, and another internal error. In all
I get about 50. They pass to quick to read but the last line says :
code : pc not in code space
When it eventually boots and gives me a login prompt, I can type root and my
password and then I get an internal error and it takes me back to the login
prompt. Why is it doing this? Can anyone help?
Regards,
---
Chris Pringle
22, St. Mary's Drive, Fairford, Glos. GL7 4LQ
P.S.Check out My web site at 
http://www.latrigg.demon.co.uk/Chris/index.html

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 22:46:51 +0100 (BST)

Chris Pringle
> code : pc not in code space

Some toptips here which people probably aren't aware of.  Scroll Lock
does actually work.  And all kernel messages (including the boot ones)
get logged to /var/log/messages.  Also, just the last line is not useful;
we really need quite a lot more detail than that.  Probably a dozen lines
or so is good; no-one's going to bitch at you for sending that much.
Indeed, hundred-line bug reports to linux-kernel are not unknown.
Russell's going to hate me for saying that ;-)

> prompt. Why is it doing this? Can anyone help?

My guess is that what is going on is that insmod is failing to load
the FPEm.  This may be because you have the wrong symlink set - and it's
trying to load the 4.xx version instead of 2.87.  But if you say there are
lots of these errors, it may be that insmod is failing to run, in which
case you need to replace the insmod that was installed with a later one.
Either the one on the boot-floppy, which I guess worked for you?  Or try
getting the latest from the ftp site in the module-2.0.0 RPM.

-- 
Set Alias$Case Set Alias$[ |||| |MSet Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ \ Matthew
"" |MSet Alias$When If %0=%%0 Then Set Alias$[ "" ||MIf %0=%%0    \ Wilcox
Then Set Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ |||||||||||||||| ||MIf       \
%0=%%0 Then Set Alias$When Set Alias$[ ||||||||||||||||
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]