Subject: EtherLan 600

From: John Houston <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 23:12:59 +0100 (BST)

Has anyone managed to get the Etherlan 600 card from i-cubed to work with 
Arm Linux?  I've tried installing from the ftp site 
(ftp.arm.uk.linux.org) twice and I've tried installing the modules from 
the ftp site but nothing seems to work and I'm at a bit of a loss as to 
what to do.  Any ideas?

John
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 23:51:36 +0100 (BST)

> the ftp site but nothing seems to work and I'm at a bit of a loss as to 

Yes, I use one every day.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 00:36:59 +0100

>the ftp site but nothing seems to work and I'm at a bit of a loss as to 

You could start by explaining what the symptoms of it not working are.  Do you 
mean the driver doesn't load, or you can't send anything, or you can't receive 
anything, or none of the above?  If you use a different card with the same 
setup, does it work then?

p.

---

From: John Houston <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 11:29:36 +0100 (BST)

> setup, does it work then?
Well, when I start Linux it says that it's delaying the initialisation of 
eth0 which is because in the /lib/modules directory I only have the misc 
directory containing the fpem module.  I've tried installing the modules 
rpm from the ftp site but I just get errors telling me that the modules 
are already installed (if I use the latest version).  I've tried using an 
old set of modules along with the relevant version of the kernel but that 
gives errors that say that the symbols in the module don't match those in 
the kernel which makes no sense to me at all!

So, I can't send or recieve as I have no driver installed (or available) 
and I don't have another card that I can try as all the people I know use 
PCs (well, nobody's perfect!).

Perhaps I should just buy a cheap PC and install Linux on that! :)

John

---

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 13:16:54 +0100 (BST)

> the kernel which makes no sense to me at all!

Well, probably the best thing to do (well, the thing I did anyway) is to 
compile your own kernel up with ether1 support in the kernel rather than 
as an external module.  If you like, I'll compile up a kernel for you 
with ether1 support in and email it to you.  Just let me know anything 
you do or do not want in the kernel and I'll get my box working on a 
shiny new kernel for you.

> Perhaps I should just buy a cheap PC and install Linux on that! :)

NOOOOOOOO!!!! Evil CISC!!

-- 
Rule of programming #3: The number of bugs which exist in a program is
	equal to the square of the number of bugs which you think exist.

Phil Norman, mailing from Exeter University.
email:	[email-masked]
URL:	http://newton.ex.ac.uk/general/ug/norman

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 20:04:37 +0100 (BST)

> shiny new kernel for you.

I don't think it's a question of compilation of a custom kernel - it's more
a problem with not getting the right modules...

There are two modules 'packages' - the real modules packages containing the
tools (modules-*.arm.rpm), and the kernel modules themselves
(modules-2.0.33-rpc.tar.gz).  Please make sure that you get the right one.

The correct one is located in the same directory as the kernels, and you
must get the same version *and* date as your kernel.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |