Subject: Help installing on RPC

From: Dan Todd <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 17:54:32 +0000

I've just tryed to install Armlinux using the RPMs on the clan CD and
Phil Normans guide.

The RedHat installation program seems to go ok until just after it asks
for the root password.  It then informs me that it can't find the
kernel.

What do I do then?

I tryed Alt-f2 and typing /mnt/bin/syn
After doing this, and configuring !LinConfig as described in the install
guide, when !Linux is executed I get a bad magic (0000000) error -
aborting error.

What do I do now?

-- 
Dan Todd

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 09:24:36 +0100 (BST)

> guide, when !Linux is executed I get a bad magic (0000000) error -

Please read the FAQ on my web pages.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 21:11:34 +0100 (BST)

> guide, when !Linux is executed I get a bad magic (0000000) error -

Try running linux using:

<fill in path here>.!Linux.!Run -bootkernel ADFS::4.$.ARMLinux.kernel

When you get the prompt:

	Insert extra arguments:

type in 'root=/dev/hda3' (or whatever you specified as your root 
partition during the install).  You should be able to boot into linux 
using that, and after that you can use RMK's 'loadmap' program (after 
copying the kernel onto your linux partition) to sort out all the stuff 
needed to get his bootloader (!Linux) to work properly.  Then you should 
be able to install !Linux in your !Boot application (all explained in 
!Linux's help file) and everything will work beautifully.

Bye,
Phil

-- 
Linux: A penguin which jumps through Windows and leaps over Gates.

Phil Norman, mailing from Exeter University.
email:	[email-masked]
URL:	http://newton.ex.ac.uk/general/ug/norman