Subject: Installing ARM Linux on an IDE/PowerTec SCSI system

From: Sam Kington <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 09:53:32 +0100

Hi,

I'm going to be installing ARM Linux on my StrongARM Risc PC this
weekend, and I was wondering what the best partition arrangement would
be. I currently have a 1.6Gb ADFS IDE hard disc, with about 900Mb of PC
Partition, 200Mb of free space, with the rest taken up by Risc OS stuff.
I also have a 6Gb SCSI hard disc hooked up to a PowerTec II card, which
is currently sitting around doing nothing much.

Given that the PC Card doesn't run any faster off the SCSI disc, in a 
PC-formatted partition, that off a PC partition file on the IDE disc, I
see no reason not to keep it on the IDE disc. The Acorn stuff can go
either way. Which leaves me with Linux.

First question: can I actually install Linux straight on to the SCSI
disc, or do I need to mess with the ADFS partition first? Can ARM Linux
handle PowerTec partitions once it's up and running on the ADFS
partition? And if so, what's the bare minimum I need on the ADFS
partition?

Oh, BTW, PartMan 0.13 alpha 5 seems to work much better. Russell, I'll
get a debug dump off to you tonight; let me know if you want any more
test data.

Sam
-- 
Home page: http://www.illuminated.co.uk/
INWO Homebrew has moved: http://www.illuminated.co.uk/inwo/
Not my employer's opinion, no snappy quote
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]