Subject: Re: FPU Emulator

From: Roger Lynn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 15:51:37 +0100 (BST)

Russell King wrote:
> Phil, you're probably using 2.87, which does have accuracy problems.  4.07
> is apparantly ok, but that's for 32-bit machines.

It also works on 26-bit machines (under RISC OS). The RISC OS RC5
client crashes without it.

Roger
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Chris Berry <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 16:03:43 +0100

> client crashes without it.

<shame>
 FYI, the newest versions of the RISC OS RC5 client no longer needs
the FPU emulator. It's come a long way recently, largely because I've
stopped doing the builds :-)

Chris.

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 20:31:37 +0100 (BST)

> client crashes without it.

That may be, but since Linux is a 32-bit OS under new machines, the FPEm is
also 32-bit, and as such expects the ARM6 msr/mrs extensions to be there. 
This prevents the FPEm from running correctly on the ARM3 machines.

(In fact, because of this, and a difference in the stack structure between
the two machines for the same reason, it is not possible to build one
fpemulator that runs on both machines).
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |