Subject: compiling ?

From: Angelo Melis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 10:36:45 +0000 (GMT)

Hello,

I am new to this list and yesterday I installed a subset of the RPMS. Then I
tried to compile something with GCC, but I get complaints that de include
files linux/types.h and linux/signal.h cannot be found. After looking in
the /usr/include directory I didn't find the linux directory, so I think I
forgot to install a package. But I cannot figure out which package that
should be. Can someone please tell me in which package the linux include
files are stored ?

Thanks in advance,
Angelo

-- 
Angelo Melis
Software Engineer
email: [email-masked]
quote of the day: IN california, everyone either goes to a therapist, is a
therapist, or is a therapist going to a therapist.
Truman Capotte

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 12:30:09 +0100 (BST)

Angelo Melis
> should be. Can someone please tell me in which package the linux include

Mmm.  This _is_ a FAQ though it's not ARMLinux specific and as such probably
isn't mentioned in Russell's FAQ.  The libc we're currently using (libc 4)
requires kernel headers in order to compile (almost) anything.  libc 6
which we will move t once we have ELF support is much less dependent upon
having the kernel headers.  There might be an RPM which contains the kernel
headers, but personally, I downloaded the linux kernel source
(ftp://sunsite.org.uk/Mirrors/ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.0/
 linux-2.0.33.tar.gz),  unpacked it into /usr/src/linux, downloaded the
latest kernel patch from Russell
(ftp://ftp.arm.uk.linux.org/pub/armlinux/kernel-sources/v2.0/), patched
the kernel to give armlinux support (cd /usr/src/linux;
zcat arm-2.0.33.gz | patch -p1), make config (this is important),
\and then set up the appropriate symlinks:

ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux /usr/include
ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/asm /usr/include
ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/scsi /usr/include

and then everything should work.

-- 
Set Alias$Case Set Alias$[ |||| |MSet Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ \ Matthew
"" |MSet Alias$When If %0=%%0 Then Set Alias$[ "" ||MIf %0=%%0    \ Wilcox
Then Set Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ |||||||||||||||| ||MIf       \
%0=%%0 Then Set Alias$When Set Alias$[ ||||||||||||||||
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Dana K Scully <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 19:56:37 +0100

On 29 May, Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]> wrote:
[snip]
> Mmm.  This _is_ a FAQ though it's not ARMLinux specific and as such
> probably isn't mentioned in Russell's FAQ.  The libc we're currently
> using (libc 4) requires kernel headers in order to compile (almost)
> anything.  libc 6 which we will move t once we have ELF support is much
> less dependent upon having the kernel headers.  There might be an RPM
> which contains the kernel headers, but personally, I downloaded the
> linux kernel source
[snip]

you might also want to edit the file
/usr/src/linux/arch/arm/mm/proc-sa110.c

the line 

#include "constants.h" 

should be

#include "../lib/constants.h"

This will avoid any nastiness should you decide to compile your own kernel.

L

* Don't make a big deal out of everything; just deal with everything.
-- 
 |        |\/|         / BSc (Hons) Chemistry (So'ton), ZFC A (Sc)
 |__esley |  |itchell / [email-masked]
 
 A woman of many talents. :)
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]