Subject: BitchX compilation and other qns

From: tlawton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 15:17:06 +0000

Hi,

>> Below here is a selection, taken from te configure log, of the bits that
>> failed.
>Erm, yes - that log looks correct.  What exactly is the problem?

 Apologies. I'd thought it was the fact it couldn't find the files that was
causing problems. Wonderfully helpful is make - give me ARM assembler and
its handy errors any day over C :)

*** I found in the dox:
  
	Linux kernel version 1.3.80 made changes to the system include
files. A small definition was removed which will cause a lot of screen
orientated programs to fail on compiling. Both ircii-2.8 and BitchX
will fail when compiling on the file alias.c with an error message about
speed_t or ospeed being undefined. Instead of hacking around this
behaviour within BitchX, edit include/defs.h and supply at the start 
of the file either one of the following for the offending error:

Solution: (ospeed)
add "extern short ospeed;"

Solution: (speed_t)
add "#define speed_t unsigned short"

 But I don't have an defs.h anywhere on the HD, except for in
/usr/src/BitchX/include/, and making these changes to that file still gives
the same trouble except the "parse error before 'ospeed" changes to the fact
that it is multiply defined.

*** (stdout and stderr combined from doing "make" in /usr/src/BitchX)

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/BitchX/source'
gcc -O2    -D_VERSION_=\"BitchX\"  -I../include  -c alias.c
In file included from ../include/irc.h:88,
                 from alias.c:11:
/usr/arm-unknown-linuxaout/include/termcap.h:39: parse error before `ospeed'
/usr/arm-unknown-linuxaout/include/termcap.h:39: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
make[1]: *** [alias.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/BitchX/source'
make: *** [BitchX] Error 2

Thanks for any info,

Tom

PS Can anyone tell me what is "net-pf-5" and why every time I boot up I am
told it can't be found. The system works fine so I guess it's not vital.

PPS Does the "strip" command remove debugging information from a binary and
therefore decrease its size?

PPPS Can anyone supply the mknod numbers for using hde and hdf. Before the
messing around with my system I've done, they were working but now only hda
is mentioned when the kernel boots up, and in the /dev/ directory there is
only up to hdd

-- 

.... DRIVE - the means of getting to the latest regatta. It is best done in
groups...in groups with beer. 
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]