Subject: Kernel Compilation - what no adfs...

From: Melanie Rhianna Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 11:47:23 +0100 (BST)

I've recompiled the kernel for my RPC600 using 2.0.33 sources from
sunsite and the patch from the website.  There was a small bug in
proc-sa110.c 

	include "constants.h" -> include "../lib/constants.h"

which once corrected make it compile correctly.

I have a couple of minor problems/questions.  

Firstly, since I indicated in the config that I'm running an ARM610 should
it be using proc-sa110.c at all? 

I included adfs support in the config but it doesn't seem to be compiled
in to the kernel.  What happened?

Finally, PLIP.  I notice there isn't an option for it.  Has it been done
or do I need to have a go at porting?  Is it a trivial matter?  I would
like to connect my RPC to my i686 linux box and hence on to the house lan
but currently an RPC network card is out of the question due to cost.  Im
currently using a serial/ppp link.

Thanks for your help as always.

Melanie
-- 
=====================================================================
Melanie Rhianna Lewis                      [email-masked]
"An it hurt none, do what thou will"    http://www.defaid.demon.co.uk
=====================================================================

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 11:21:10 +0100

>or do I need to have a go at porting?  Is it a trivial matter?  I would

It should "just work".

p.

---

From: Vincent PENNE <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 14:16:57 +0200

> in to the kernel.  What happened?

I had the same problem : two options need to be turned on in order to
allow ADFS reading. The first one is the ADFS partition system. The
second one, the filesystem itself, can be turned on only if you accept
in the beginning of the configuration script <experimental> features of
arm-linux (that are not guaranted to work). 

I succeded in installing a ZIP drive, to my knowledge, arm-linux is the
only way to acces a ZIP drive on RiscPC !
My question is : Since the default parallel port on RiscPC is at 0x278,
why is the default value of the PPA driver set to 0x378, as if we were
on a PC ? Also, it might be interesting to add in the FAQ an other
reason why the driver might not load : it happens when you turn on the
printer driver in the kernel, which then allocates the parallel port for
itself in the very beginning of the boot procedure, preventing the PPA
driver to use it ...

Finally, for those interesting in compiling c++ programs, I found and
empirical solution : I use libg++-2.5.3, with "gcc" compiler command
(and not "g++" or "c++") with the library options "-lg -lstdc++" at the
end of the command line. The order is important ! it prevents conflict
between iostream and stdio functions ... With these options, I could
compile the wxWindows library with its example, and all of them worked!
What is the difference between "libc.a" and "libg.a" ? When I tried
"-lc" instead of "-lg", only half of the examples worked ... (when I say
work or not, I don't mean at compile time, in any cases it compiles
perfectly, but at execution time) And when I used the usual way, that is
using the "g++" command (which is equivalent I think with having the
library options "-lstdc++ -lc", in the reversed order), none of the
example worked ...

Vincent.

-- 
/==========================================================\
|     Vincent PENNE,          Centre de Physique Theorique |
|Tel. (0033)4 91 26 95 04       CNRS - LUMINY - Case 907   |
|Fax. (0033)4 91 26 95 53      F-13288 MARSEILLE CEDEX 9   |
|Email: [email-masked]          FRANCE              |
|http://www.cpt.univ-mrs.fr                                |
\==========================================================/
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 14:18:00 +0100

>itself in the very beginning of the boot procedure, preventing the PPA

Both these problems have gone away in 2.1 kernels.  The reason for the first 
is precisely because the default is set to be correct for more people and PC 
hardware is considerably more common than RiscPC hardware.  A workaround for 
the second is to make both the printer and the PPA driver modular and load 
them as necessary.  I strongly suggest you _don't_ hack the code to defeat the 
check_region() calls that prevent you loading both at once -- although this 
will appear to work, you run the risk of corrupting data on your Zip disks if 
the printer is in use at the same time.

p.

---

From: Melanie Rhianna Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 18:46:19 +0100 (BST)

> arm-linux (that are not guaranted to work). 

Thanks, I'll try that.
 
> only way to acces a ZIP drive on RiscPC !

There is a zip driver for the RiscPC but its commercial.

> Also, it might be interesting to add in the FAQ an other

I do it by having both lp and ppa as modules and load as and when
required.  Just like my intel box.

Melanie