Subject: Fvwm95

From: "Glenn Ramsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 09:52:56 GMT+1200

Hi,
A few questions.

Has anybody managed to get fvwm95 working?
I used the src rpm from the armlinux website.  It compiled OK, after
installing librplay, but crashes on startup.

Since this didn't work I downloaded qvwm, another win95 lookalike 
window manager, which I did get to work.

In case anyone else is interested here's what I had to do to get it 
working.

First off the configure script reported that the C++ compiler
couldn't create executables.

I figured that this was because I didn't have the libraries 
installed.  Should they have been there?  There are two binaries 
named /usr/bin/c++ and /usr/bin/g++ in the distribution, what are they?

I eventually found that gcc 2.7.2.2 can compile C++, so I downloaded
libg++ version 2.7.2.  The documentation says that on linux it needs
libc 5.2.18 or higher.  The libc I have installed, from the ftp
distribution. is 4.7.?.  I installed it anyway.

The configure script still reported the error, so I hacked things so 
it would try gcc as the c++ compiler, rather than c++ or g++, and it 
worked.

With these changes qvwm compiled and so far (2 days) it works well.

g

-- 
Glenn Ramsey
G . Ramsey @ irl . cri . nz
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]