Subject: invalid bmap magic

From: Richard Bradbury <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 18:59:01 +0100

I've a nasty feeling something has gone slightly wrong with my installations
of ARM Linux this afternoon (all three of them!).

I'm reasonably happy that the base RedHat distribution is finding its way
onto /dev/hda3 (I've checked with IscaFS), but the kernel doesn't mount it
as / when it is started using the -bootkernel option of the Linux loader.
Instead, it just prompts me for the root floppy.

Double clicking on !Linux gives the error "invalid bmap magic in first
sector of partition".  What have I done wrong?  Is it related to the "can't
find kernel" error I encounter at the end of the RedHat installation?

Thanks,

-- 
Richard.

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 19:04:21 +0100 (BST)

> onto /dev/hda3 (I've checked with IscaFS), but the kernel doesn't mount it
				    ^^^^^^  :-)

> Instead, it just prompts me for the root floppy.

When it starts booting and asks:

Input extra arguments:

(or something similar) type 'root=/dev/hda3'.  This tells linux which 
partition to mount as /.

Bye,
Phil

-- 
Rule of programming #3: The number of bugs which exist in a program is
	approximately equal to the square of the number of bugs which
	you think exist.

Phil Norman, mailing from Exeter University.
email:	[email-masked]
URL:	http://newton.ex.ac.uk/general/ug/norman

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 22:28:23 +0100 (BST)

Phil Norman
> (or something similar) type 'root=/dev/hda3'.  This tells linux which 

And to stop fsck complaining about / already being writable and confusing
the hell out of new users, you should instead type `root=/dev/hda3 ro'

-- 
Set Alias$Case Set Alias$[ |||| |MSet Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ \ Matthew
"" |MSet Alias$When If %0=%%0 Then Set Alias$[ "" ||MIf %0=%%0    \ Wilcox
Then Set Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ |||||||||||||||| ||MIf       \
%0=%%0 Then Set Alias$When Set Alias$[ ||||||||||||||||
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 22:34:33 +0100 (BST)

Richard Bradbury
> find kernel" error I encounter at the end of the RedHat installation?

This is in the FAQ; http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux/faq.html
Question 17.  Question 6 is also relevant.

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 20:36:56 +0100 (BST)

> find kernel" error I encounter at the end of the RedHat installation?

Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! ;)

Please see the FAQ (in the booting/rebooting problem section, last question).
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |