Subject: More problems...

From: Melanie Rhianna Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 11:44:28 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

I'm trying to recompile the kernel.  Everythings is hunky dory until I
actually try makeing anything and it all falls over with

gcc: installation problem, cannot exec 'as': No such file or directory

Now as I haven't installed all the RPMS have I missed something (like I
missed patch and had to add it manually).  Or do I need updates of GCC?

Thanks

Melanie

-- 
=====================================================================
Melanie Rhianna Lewis                      [email-masked]
"An it hurt none, do what thou will"    http://www.defaid.demon.co.uk
=====================================================================

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 13:05:21 +0100 (BST)

> gcc: installation problem, cannot exec 'as': No such file or directory

Sounds like you don't have the assembler installed.  Look for RPMs which 
start with 'as-' or something similar.  I've just had a look at the RPM 
list, and the only one I can find which sounds rightish is 'ash':
ash-0.2-1.arm.rpm
I'm not sure if this is the assembler or not though.

Hope this helps,
Phil

-- 
Rule of programming #4: The length of time taken to find a bug is
	directly proportional to its simplicity.

Phil Norman, mailing from Exeter University.
email:	[email-masked]
URL:	http://newton.ex.ac.uk/general/ug/norman

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 13:19:06 +0100

>I'm not sure if this is the assembler or not though.

It's not - ash is a lightweight Bourne-like shell.  The assembler is part of 
binutils.

The other possibility is that you do have the assembler installed but gcc is 
looking for it in the wrong place.

p.

---

From: Melanie Rhianna Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 14:09:12 +0100 (BST)

> It's not - ash is a lightweight Bourne-like shell.  The assembler is part of 

I tried re-installing it and it did reinstall and now appears to be
working properly.  Don't know why it wasn't there as I was dead certain I
had included Bin utils in my selection when I first installed linux.

Oh well.

Thanks for your help.

Melanie