Subject: Is there a driver for PowerTec I?

From: Thomas Marx <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 18:15:04 +0100

Hi !

I am really glad that there is some PowerTec driver.
Does it run with a PowerTec I card ?
Is there a driver for it?
(or ) How much work is it to change the existing driver to run a
PowerTec I ?

C U, Tom
-
No RISC, no FUN - - - - - - - - - - - - No PAIN, no GAIN. 
------------------------------------------------------------------
email : [email-masked]
Snail : Thomas Marx, Charlottenstr. 11, 52070 Aachen, Germany
Voice : +49 241 542886
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 20:51:11 +0100 (BST)

> (or ) How much work is it to change the existing driver to run a

That really depends on what the PowerTec I card is.  Come to think of it,
I'm not absolutely sure that the card I have is a PTec II.  Anyone know
what the obvious differences are?
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Jan Magnussen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 10:54:50 +0200

> what the obvious differences are?

I think that he means a Powertec SCSI I card, as there are also fast SCSI II,
and ultra SCSI III avaiable from Powertec. I myself have a Powertec SCSI II
card, and the driver from the 19980426 release of the 2.0.33 patch works if I
load it as a module with the terminators turned off. This however makes it
very unstable, and crashes 90% of the times I make big reads from sda1, but
it crashes all the time, if I try to access sda2, sda3 or sdb1. But now I am
able to get in contact with my CDROM (scd0) :-).
Has the Powertec drivers been fixed to be able to initialise with the
terminators on? If so, will you please send me a patch for this driver. I
will be happy to test it and tell you how it works.

Regards

Jan Magnussen
http://www.kom.auc.dk/~janm
Fidonet : 2:234/181.8

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 22:09:54 +0100 (BST)

> will be happy to test it and tell you how it works.

Have you tried the latest kernel?

Please please please if you have a problem please please please send some
of the information that the kernel gives you.  This is especially true
for SCSI drivers - they tend to dump out a lot of very useful information
which will aid in tracking down the problem.  Without it, all I can say is
'ok, you have a problem, please send some more information'.

However, the Powertec drivers should be working correctly from this Sunday's
release (oops, forgot the kernel patches... ok, they'll be done).  I can't 
guarantee that I'll be able to sort out a patch for just this driver though...
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Jan Magnussen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 May 1998 12:28:56 +0200

> Have you tried the latest kernel?

Hmmm. I thought that 19980426 was the latest kernel for 2.0.33. I tried to
compile 2.1.99, but failed horribly. Now all I can wait for is a new patch
for 2.0.33, unless somebody can tell me how to compile the 2.1.99 kernel, or
point me to a newer patch.

> 'ok, you have a problem, please send some more information'.

I will let you know how it works, once I manage to compile a newer kernel.

> release (oops, forgot the kernel patches... ok, they'll be done).  I can't 

Ahhh.

> guarantee that I'll be able to sort out a patch for just this driver though...

That is OK, as long as it works ;)

Regards,

Jan Magnussen