Subject: Stopping a PowerTec SCSI drive spinning down before boot

From: Sam Kington <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 20:57:30 +0100

Hi,

I've happily compiled a 2.0.33 kernel with the options I want, most
importantly PowerTec support. It seems to recognise the card, but by
that time the drive has spun down, so it gets nowhere. I get something
like this (this is what /var/log/messages had to say after I tried it as
a module). Any ideas?

==Dump starts==
scsi0 : PowerTec SCSI at port 800D0000 irq 32 dma 2 v0.0.2 scsi NCR53C90
terminators on
scsi : 1 host.
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 0, scsi0, channel 0, id 0,
lun 0 0x00 00 00 00 00 00 
SCSI state trail: 00:00:00:00 00:00:00:00 00:00:00:00 00:00:00:00
00:00:00:00 00:00:00:00 00:00:00:00 00:00:00:00 
FAS216_Info = 
  { magic_start=441296BD host=c20c5018 SCpnt=c20c3018 origSCpnt=00000000
    scsi={ io_port=800D0C00 io_shift=4 irq=20 cfg={ 7 48 B9 0 }
           type=c3882810 phase=1 reconnected = { target=0 lun=0 tag=0 }
           SCp = { ptr=c29aadf8 this_residual=100 buffer=00000000
buffers_residual=0 }
      msgs async_stp=8 last_message=0 disconnectable=0 aborting=0 }
    stats={ queues=1 removes=1 fins=0 reads=0 writes=0 miscs=1
disconnects=0 aborts=1 resets=0 }
    ifcfg={ clockrate=28 select_timeout=FF asyncperiod=C8
sync_max_depth=7 }
    busyluns[0]=1 dev[0]={ disconnect_ok=1 stp=8 sof=0 negstate=0 }
    busyluns[1]=0 dev[1]={ disconnect_ok=1 stp=8 sof=0 negstate=0 }
    busyluns[2]=0 dev[2]={ disconnect_ok=1 stp=8 sof=0 negstate=0 }
    busyluns[3]=0 dev[3]={ disconnect_ok=1 stp=8 sof=0 negstate=0 }
    busyluns[4]=0 dev[4]={ disconnect_ok=1 stp=8 sof=0 negstate=0 }
    busyluns[5]=0 dev[5]={ disconnect_ok=1 stp=8 sof=0 negstate=0 }
    busyluns[6]=0 dev[6]={ disconnect_ok=1 stp=8 sof=0 negstate=0 }
    busyluns[7]=0 dev[7]={ disconnect_ok=1 stp=8 sof=0 negstate=0 }
    dma={ transfer_type=0 setup=c387e114 pseudo=00000000 stop=c387e21c }
    internal_done=0 magic_end=441296BD
FAS216 registers:
    CTCL=00 CTCM=00 CMD=00 STAT=00 INST=00 IS=00 CFIS=00 CNTL1=00
CNTL2=00 CNTL3=00 CTCH=00
scsi0: fas216_abort: command executing
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 0, scsi0, channel 0, id 0,
lun 0 0x00 00 00 00 00 00 
SCSI state trail: 00:00:00:00 00:00:00:00 00:00:00:00 00:00:00:00
00:00:00:00 00:00:00:00 00:00:00:00 00:00:00:00 
FAS216 registers:
    CTCL=00 CTCM=00 CMD=00 STAT=00 INST=00 IS=00 CFIS=00 CNTL1=00
CNTL2=00 CNTL3=00 CTCH=00
scsi0: fas216_abort: command executing
SCSI host 0 abort (pid 0) timed out - resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
SCSI state trail: 00:00:00:00 00:00:00:00 00:00:00:00 00:00:00:00
00:00:00:00 00:00:00:00 00:00:00:00 00:00:00:00 
scsi0: fas216_reset:
### It then loops the previous block of output endlessly ###
==Dump ends==

Sam
-- 
Home page: http://www.illuminated.co.uk/
INWO Homebrew has moved: http://www.illuminated.co.uk/inwo/
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]