Subject: Linux boot problem

From: Melanie Rhianna Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 17:37:47 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

I've finally got a larger ADFS drive and found a bit of time to install
ArmLinux on my RPC600.  I installed the RPMS off of the clan CD using
partly Phil Normans installer file and my knowledge of linux together
with my i686 linux box.

So I have a 410Mb IDE drive with

a)	99 mb ADFS partition
b)	32 mb linux swap partition (/dev/hda3)
c)	279 mb linux native partition (/dev/hda4)

All are formatted up and all the RPMS have been installed.  

As predicted it bombed out at the kernel stage with can't find kernel.  I
sync ed the disk as suggested and reset.  Using !LinConfig I have set the
root to *ADFS::4.1 but it don't work.  !Linux fails with "invalid bmap
magicin first sector of partition".

I have a nicely installed system which I can't get to run.

Help

Melanie
-- 
=====================================================================
Melanie Rhianna Lewis                      [email-masked]
"An it hurt none, do what thou will"    http://www.defaid.demon.co.uk
=====================================================================

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 18:33:49 +0100 (BST)

Melanie Rhianna Lewis
> magicin first sector of partition".

Ah, yes.  Mmm.  This is one of those bugs I meant to report to Russell and
forgot.  Sorry.  With the bootloader that you have, it only works if hda3
is the root partition, or some such.  I tried putting my swap as hda3, but
it didn't work.  Apologies all round.

I suspect the new test bootloader may cope with it better; try the one
available from the web page - beware that you now need to give it the
partition number, ie ADFS:4.4 in your case.

-- 
Set Alias$Case Set Alias$[ |||| |MSet Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ \ Matthew
"" |MSet Alias$When If %0=%%0 Then Set Alias$[ "" ||MIf %0=%%0    \ Wilcox
Then Set Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ |||||||||||||||| ||MIf       \
%0=%%0 Then Set Alias$When Set Alias$[ ||||||||||||||||
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 20:52:27 +0100 (BST)

> partition number, ie ADFS:4.4 in your case.

Indeed, and yes, it is the Partition number now, and not the old number
system (what did I call it anyway)? ;)
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 20:52:27 +0100 (BST)

---

From: John Lagrue <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 23:26:52 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>

> I have a nicely installed system which I can't get to run.

*grin*

You're ahead of me Melanie; I have an ICS IDEFS interface and nothing it
seems on ARMLinux can yet handle that filing system. I have a large disc
partition but am still unable even to begin to install it :-)

Good luck!

JDL

---

From: Melanie Rhianna Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 00:48:50 +0100 (BST)

> I have a nicely installed system which I can't get to run.

It does now thanks to help.  I seem to have no comms or printer port?  I
presume a recomplile of the kernel is in order.

Melanie