Subject: Re: ARMLinux Partition Problem

From: Tony Houghton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 15:34:56 +0100

In <news:comp.sys.acorn.misc> Matthew Wilcox wrote:

> Ulrik, you've forgotten to edit boot.conf and run `loadmap'.  Note that
> you can boot your way in using -bootkernel and specifying
> `root=/dev/hda3 ro' in the extra options section of the booter.

I installed it yesterday [1] and I'm still having to use the above way
to boot it because loadmap crashes with a memory violation (I can't
remember the code address, but it was trying to access 0x00000008). It
didn't seem to make any difference what I had in my /etc/boot.conf, it
still crashed in the same place. BTW, can't you get stack backtraces
under ARMLinux?

Last time I installed it I had to give up in the end, because I couldn't
find any way of entering a ~. With the newer bits [1] the ~ key itself
still doesn't work, but at least I can get it by typing Alt-126 now.

[1] I used the latest kernel and root and supplemental images from the
FTP site, but sets from the Clan CD and base.tar and instimage.tar from
Phil Norman's site. Could this have caused compatibility problems?

I don't know if someone wants to look into !PartMan, but neither the
latest version nor the version on the Clan CD work for me, I had to use
1.05.

-- 
  \_________________
                    \  http://homepages.tcp.co.uk/~tonyh/
   The Curling Pages \ The home of WinEd, Bombz and POPstar for RISC OS
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Kieran Mansley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 16:04:51 +0100 (BST)

> Phil Norman's site. Could this have caused compatibility problems?

You need to alter the keytable that you're using (usr/lib/kbd/keytables on my
system).  I can mail you the version that I put together after finding no
~, #, " in the wrong place etc.

Kieran

-- 
Kieran Mansley, Peterhouse, Cambridge. CB2 1RD
[email-masked]      http://mup.pet.cam.ac.uk/
              I tell all my friends but they never believe me.
              They think that I've finally lost it completely.

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 16:26:06 +0100

>still crashed in the same place. BTW, can't you get stack backtraces

The C library doesn't give you postmortems like the RISC OS one does.  You do
get a core dump though and you can then use the debugger to find out where the
program crashed, and it wouldn't be that hard to fiddle things so you got a 
backtrace on abnormal termination.  GCC doesn't put function names into the
prologue like Norcroft does, though, which makes it harder to produce
meaningful output.  (There's a -fpoke-function-names option, or something 
like that, but it's not fully implemented at the moment).

The kernel does give you a backtrace if it performs a bad access itself, 
incidentally.

p.

---

From: Tony Houghton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 23:05:45 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>
          Kieran Mansley <[email-masked]> wrote:

> You need to alter the keytable that you're using
> (usr/lib/kbd/keytables on my system).  I can mail you the version that
> I put together after finding no ~, #, " in the wrong place etc.

I managed to get it working after poking around in man and the keymap
files, thanks. The problem was that it was mapped to "sterling" and
"currency", neither of which seem to work. Is there any way of getting a
pound sign?

Also, I found a directory /usr/lib/kbd/videomodes containing a README
which said I could use the "restoretextmode" command so I can save mode
details for the resize command. Unfortunately I can't find
restoretextmode.

I have to say getting X to work is a lot more painless than NetBSD
though :-).