Subject: Re: CD ROM drives

From: Dana K Scully <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 23:35:07 +0100

Right so, I've compiled my own kernel with support for IDE CDROM drives
and stuff.

So, my new CD Drive arrived today, its a panasonic 24x one, and works fine
under riscos 3.7 using the atapi drivers.  Unfortunately, booting into
Linux gets as far as recognising the hard drive and the cd rom drive and
then stops dead, cursor stops flashing and the system requires a power
reset.

Anyone have an idea what this might be?

L

* Is knowledge knowable, and how do we know?
-- 
 |        |\/|         / BSc (Hons) Chemistry (So'ton), ZFC A (Sc)
 |__esley |  |itchell / [email-masked]
 
 A woman of many talents. :)
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 10:41:23 +0100 (BST)

> Anyone have an idea what this might be?

Have you tried booting this kernel without the CD Drive connected?  What
does the kernels on the FTP site do?
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 11:59:48 +0100 (BST)

Russell King - ARM Linux Admin
> does the kernels on the FTP site do?

[rudely butting in to answer the question in order to get a solution faster]

Yes, she's booted the kernel previously; it goes wrong once the CD drive
is plugged in.  The kernels on the FTP site worked without the CD drive,
but she had to compile her own in order to get PPP support.

-- 
Set Alias$Case Set Alias$[ |||| |MSet Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ \ Matthew
"" |MSet Alias$When If %0=%%0 Then Set Alias$[ "" ||MIf %0=%%0    \ Wilcox
Then Set Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ |||||||||||||||| ||MIf       \
%0=%%0 Then Set Alias$When Set Alias$[ ||||||||||||||||
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 12:09:54 +0100 (BST)

> but she had to compile her own in order to get PPP support.

Ok, but what about the kernels on the FTP site with CD drive connected?
   _____

---

From: Tony Houghton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 16:00:39 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>
          Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Yes, she's booted the kernel previously; it goes wrong once the CD
> drive is plugged in.  The kernels on the FTP site worked without the
> CD drive, but she had to compile her own in order to get PPP support.

Ah, so the precompiled kernel doesn't support PPP by default I take it.
Do I need to compile a kernel or can I just use modules? My book (see
below) has a little information about these, it says I need to create an
/etc/modules file (which I don't currently have) and run depmod. Is it
really that simple?

I guess I can work out roughly how to compile my own with information
given in one of your other messages, but is there a guide to configuring
and compiling a kernel like the one for RiscBSD? I doubt whether I would
have been able to manage that without the guide.

I've got "Essential System Administration" from O'Reilly which includes
a section on compiling Linux kernels. Has anyone seen that and knows
whether it's adequate and applicable for ARMLinux?

-- 
  \_________________
                    \  http://homepages.tcp.co.uk/~tonyh/
   The Curling Pages \ The home of WinEd, Bombz and POPstar for RISC OS

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 16:52:44 +0100 (BST)

Tony Houghton
> /etc/modules file (which I don't currently have) and run depmod. Is it

You can use modules, yes, but my main reason for making dks compile her
own kernel was to get some decent documentation written on it ;-)  I've
never used PPP myself; I've always rolled my own kernel, so I'm not sure
how easy it is to just compile a module.  I was under the impressions
modules were harder than the O'Reilly books seem to say they are.
I must play with it someday..

> whether it's adequate and applicable for ARMLinux?

I haven't seen it, but it's pretty similar to doing a peecee one.  The
gotchas are mentioned in Russell's FAQ.

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 17:11:59 +0100 (BST)

> /etc/modules file (which I don't currently have) and run depmod. Is it

You should be able to use the modules.

You need a /etc/modules.conf (or /etc/conf.modules) file - for an example,
type modprobe -c.

Don't bother with depmod - it's run on each boot anyway.
   _____