Subject: ELF Support?

From: Tom Palmer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 15:10:58 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

  Do I need to use gcc-2.8.x and binutils-2.8.x in order to get ELF support on arm-linux?  Or is it just not supported?
  
  The reason that I ask is that I'm looking to move my machine onto using PAM rather than the standard authentication mechanism.  According to the readme file for Linux-PAM (http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/index.html) some of the features won't work on an a.out system.  So what't the status of the ELF support for ARM machines?
  
  If there's no ELF support yet then I guess I'll just have to stay with the current method :(
  
  Cheers,
  
  Tom
  
------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
  Tom Palmer,
  Webmaster, The Netherhall School,
  Cambridge, United Kingdom
------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 16:00:45 +0100 (BST)

Tom Palmer
> 
> Hi,
> 
>   Do I need to use gcc-2.8.x and binutils-2.8.x in order to get ELF
> support on arm-linux?  Or is it just not supported?

There is currently no publically available support for user-level ELF.
There is limited support for kernel-level ELF.  You'll have to be patient
for a little longer, I'm afraid.  From private conversations with Russell,
it seems there are various problems with gcc 2.8.1.

Oh, and binutils 2.9.1.0.4 is out now - anyone tried using it yet?

-- 
Set Alias$Case Set Alias$[ |||| |MSet Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ \ Matthew
"" |MSet Alias$When If %0=%%0 Then Set Alias$[ "" ||MIf %0=%%0    \ Wilcox
Then Set Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ |||||||||||||||| ||MIf       \
%0=%%0 Then Set Alias$When Set Alias$[ ||||||||||||||||
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Jan Magnussen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 17:11:48 +0200

> There is currently no publically available support for user-level ELF.

Then how do I compile 2.1.xx kernels? I thought that ELF was needed to
compile these kernels.

Regards,

Jan Magnussen
http://www.kom.auc.dk/~janm
Fidonet : 2:234/181.8

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 16:40:38 +0100

>it seems there are various problems with gcc 2.8.1.

There do seem to be a couple.  Mostly they only seem to happen with 
-mcpu=strongarm110.  I had a look at this earlier but didn't manage to catch 
it generating wrong code.

>Oh, and binutils 2.9.1.0.4 is out now - anyone tried using it yet?

I've been using it for a while, yes.  It fixes a couple of ARM-related 
problems in gas, and I went on a bit of a crusade and deleted loads of 
hopefully-obsolete stuff from tc-arm.c.

p.

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 16:46:07 +0100

>Then how do I compile 2.1.xx kernels? I thought that ELF was needed to

The current version of binutils should be just about capable of building a 
kernel as ELF, and probably even user-space applications as well so long as 
you stick to static binaries.  I admit though that it's a long time since I 
tried it and bit rot may have set in.

p.

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 16:41:53 +0100

> arm-linux?  Or is it just not supported?

It's not supported yet.  I hope to have an ELF-capable toolset ready for beta 
test within the next week or so.

p.