Subject: /etc/includes/linux, newbie questions

From: Sam Kington <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 19:44:41 +0100

Hi,

/etc/includes/linux (or whatever Perl asks for a lot when compiling)
is missing on my system, after an apparently successful install of ARM
Linux (with all the RPMs on the ftp site apart from bsdgames).
Is there any way to get these includes without fetching the entire
kernel source? (And if so, where do I *get* the kernel source?)

Oh, PartMan 1.13 alpha 7 definately didn't trash my system when I told
it to create partitions on my PowerTec II SCSI drive. As to whether it
did anything useful, I have no idea, as I haven't found out how to
access the SCSI drives (the PowerTec driver is apparently found, but
marked as blacklisted, when the system boots).

Is there a decent newbie site for Linux I could have a look at, rather
than having to mail the mailing list every time I get stuck?

Sam
-- 
Home page: http://www.illuminated.co.uk/
INWO Homebrew has moved: http://www.illuminated.co.uk/inwo/
Although the moon is smaller than the earth, it is farther away.
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 20:08:34 +0100 (BST)

Sam Kington
> kernel source? (And if so, where do I *get* the kernel source?)

/usr/include/linux, I suspect.  The Debian & Slackware distributions both
have a kernel-headers package that you can install, so I'd be extremely
surprised if RedHat didn't.

To get the kernel source, first try a mirror of ftp.kernel.org to get
linux-2.0.33.tar.gz (or .bz2 if you have bzip2 available), then go to
ftp.arm.uk.linux.org, get the latest 2.0.33 patch, and apply the patch.
You must run make config before everything will work.  There are
instructions in the kernel distribution to tell you how to apply patches.
Try ftp://sunsite.org.uk/Mirrors/ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.0/

> than having to mail the mailing list every time I get stuck?

O'Reilly do lots of good books on Linux (and Unix in general).  If you
get a book to do with a particular distribution, the current distribution
is almost, but not quite entirely like RedHat 4.

I don't know about linux newbie websites; but there's an awful lot of
docs available in /usr/doc (if you installed it all..)

-- 
Set Alias$Case Set Alias$[ |||| |MSet Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ \ Matthew
"" |MSet Alias$When If %0=%%0 Then Set Alias$[ "" ||MIf %0=%%0    \ Wilcox
Then Set Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ |||||||||||||||| ||MIf       \
%0=%%0 Then Set Alias$When Set Alias$[ ||||||||||||||||
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]