Subject: Problems with eth0

From: John Houston <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 12:38:11 +0100 (BST)

I'm a new user but I've managed to install Arm Linux on my Risc PC 700 
(ARM 710 processor) finally but now I'm having problems with my Etherlan 
600 card.  The card is recognized correctly but for some reason during 
boot up I get the message "Delaying eth0 initialization" and having 
logged in the network is unreachable.  Attempting to use ifconfig with 
eth0 gives an error about the eth0 device not existing which is a bit 
worrying.

Have I done something wrong during the installation process or is there 
something I need to do before I can use the etherlan card?

Thanks,

John Houston
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 21:49:24 +0100 (BST)

> eth0 gives an error about the eth0 device not existing which is a bit 

Aha!  I know that one.  That's because either:

1:	Your kernel doesn't have the relevant ethernet driver compiled 
in, or
2:	Your kernel has the driver compiled as a module and the module 
isn't loaded yet.

If it's the former, you need to compile a kernel with the correct driver 
in, and if it's the latter you need to go into /lib/modules/<version 
number of the kernel you're using> and do 'insmod foo.o' where foo.o is 
the name of the module for your ethernet card.  Unfortunately you'll have 
to do this every time you reboot in the module case, so it's easier to 
shove an insmod /lib/modules/2.0.33/ether.o or similar in one of the 
initialisation scripts.  Say in /etc/rc.d/init.d/network-scripts (the 
path may be wrong - this is all from memory).  This should fix the problem.

Hope this helps,
Phil

-- 
Rule of programming #5: If a C program gives more than 50 compiler
	errors, you've missed out a semicolon.

Phil Norman, mailing from Exeter University.
email:	[email-masked]
URL:	http://newton.ex.ac.uk/general/ug/norman

---

From: John Houston <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 22:10:37 +0100 (BST)

> 2:	Your kernel has the driver compiled as a module and the module 
Sounds pretty nasty.

> path may be wrong - this is all from memory).  This should fix the problem.
Ok, sounds easy enough.  Now if I don't have a <version number of the 
kernel I'm using (which incidently is 2.0.33)> directory in /lib/modules 
then I've done something wrong haven't I?

John

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 23:48:59 +0100 (BST)

> > path may be wrong - this is all from memory).  This should fix the problem.

Not quite.  Try editing the /etc/conf.modules file to include something
like the line:

alias eth0 etherh

and then your module will be loaded automatically.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |