Subject: RedHat installer hates my Ethernet card!

From: Richard Bradbury <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 12:49:43 +0100

Having a spot of bother installing ARM Linux on a 12MByte RiscPC 600 with
two different Ethernet cards inside: one is an Atomwide Ether3 card in
podule slot 0 and the other is an ANT EtherB card in the network slot.
Removing the Ether3 doesn't help.

Any ideas for coercing the RedHat installer into recognising either of
these?  I'm using the 1998/05/03 root disk with a 2.0.33 kernel.  The
console on Alt-F3 reads:

  * running: /bin/insmod /bin/insmod /modules/ether3.o
  * insmod failed!

Why is insmod mentioned twice?  Ta,

-- 
Richard.

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 13:10:56 +0100 (BST)

Richard Bradbury
> Removing the Ether3 doesn't help.

Does your machine have a StrongARM in?  Have you tried removing the
EtherB and just using the Ether3 instead?

-- 
Set Alias$Case Set Alias$[ |||| |MSet Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ \ Matthew
"" |MSet Alias$When If %0=%%0 Then Set Alias$[ "" ||MIf %0=%%0    \ Wilcox
Then Set Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ |||||||||||||||| ||MIf       \
%0=%%0 Then Set Alias$When Set Alias$[ ||||||||||||||||
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Richard Bradbury <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 14:13:29 +0100

On Thu, 28 May 1998 13:10:56, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
>
> Have you tried removing the EtherB and just using the Ether3 instead?

This did the trick: it was the ANT EtherB card causing the trouble, not the
Atomwide Ether3 as I had suspected:

  loading device 'eth0'...
  eth0: ether3 found at 800000000, IRQ32, ether address 00:02:07:00:fe:50
  loading device 'eth1'...
  eth1: unable to identify podule bus width

Can anyone explain why the EtherB card is causing problems?

-- 
Richard.

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 22:26:14 +0100 (BST)

Richard Bradbury
> Can anyone explain why the EtherB card is causing problems?

I might be able to speculate had you answered my first question instead of
snipping it.  Do you have a strongarm?

---

From: Richard Bradbury <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 09:38:45 +0100

On Thu, 28 May 1998 22:26:14, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> Do you have a strongarm?

No: ARM610 and a revision 1 motherboard.

-- 
Richard.

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 12:20:38 +0100 (BST)

Richard Bradbury
> No: ARM610 and a revision 1 motherboard.

Then I don't know.  Please can you try compiling the latest kernel from
the patches provided by Russell on the FTP site, and let us know if the
problem still exists.  There have been changes to do with card width
detection - it fixed my Ether3-with-a-StrongARM bug, so it may have
fixed yours too.  I have someone working on step-by-step instructions
for DIY kernels.

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 20:45:42 +0100 (BST)

> Can anyone explain why the EtherB card is causing problems?

I'm not currently sure, but I'll ask - what cards do you have in your other slots?
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |