Subject: Re: Installing on an 4 MB A5000

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 23:41:40 +0100

>It might be worth adding this to the IDE driver, as it'll make those WDC
>drives work, but unlikely to break any others.

FWIW, I have a Caviar 2540 in my A5000 and it works fine with Linux.  RISC OS 
won't talk to it but I'm not too bothered about that.

p.

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Andy Fawcett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 22:18:04 +0100

Philip Blundell wrote:
> 
> >It might be worth adding this to the IDE driver, as it'll make those
> >WDC drives work, but unlikely to break any others.
> 
> FWIW, I have a Caviar 2540 in my A5000 and it works fine with Linux. 
> RISC OS won't talk to it but I'm not too bothered about that.

I've got an A5000 with a Caviar IGig drive in (21000?) and it's never
been a problem at all. It works with the ICS Wizzo ROM, and nothing has
fazed it in nearly three years...

Go on, tell me I've been lucky...
-- 
Andy Fawcett
I'm at home, not at work, so if it's here, it's a personal opinion.
Okay?
New to afp? Mail [email-masked]' for more information...
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 20:45:43 +0100 (BST)

> fazed it in nearly three years...

Ho hum.  Since I have no record of this thread (does anyone else have the
previous 3 emails?) I shall have a brief attempt at answering it.

Since !Linux uses RiscOS to gain access to it's partitions, if RiscOS
can't read the partition containing the kernel, nor can !Linux.  This
effectively limits you to having the kernel in the first 512MB of your
disk if you're using a version of RiscOS that can't handle large drives.

Maybe I ought to add this to the FAQ... (done).
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |