Subject: compiler error trying to build kernel

From: Paul Koning <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 12:01:47 -0400

I'm getting further in my kernel build, but still not far enough...

Building for EBSA285, there are two anomalies, one minor, one not.

The minor one is warning messages on every compile on string.h lines
30, 31, 34, conflicting types for built-in function memset, memcpy,
memcmp. 

The bigger problem is that the compile of net/ipv4/tcp_ipv4.c crashes
the compiler (program cc1 got watal signal 6).  That message is
preceded by the above warnings along with the error message
"...include/asm/byteorder.h:27 asm operand requires impossible reload"
Removing the -mcpu=strongarm110 makes that message go away but the
compiler crash remains.

Any suggestions?  I'm using gcc 2.8.0 with Philip's patches, and
binutils 2.9.1.0.4.

	paul
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 22:35:20 +0100 (BST)

> 30, 31, 34, conflicting types for built-in function memset, memcpy,

Unfortunately, the GCC developers changed the type of size_t from unsigned
int to unsigned long... ;(

> Removing the -mcpu=strongarm110 makes that message go away but the

Known about. Phil has a solution.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 14:00:48 +0100 (BST)

Russell King - ARM Linux Admin
> int to unsigned long... ;(

This can be worked around by conditionalising your declarations like this:

#if (__GNUC__ == 2) && (__GNUC_MINOR__ < 8)
  unsigned int memset(...)
#else
  unsigned long memset(...)
#endif

-- 
Set Alias$Case Set Alias$[ |||| |MSet Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ \ Matthew
"" |MSet Alias$When If %0=%%0 Then Set Alias$[ "" ||MIf %0=%%0    \ Wilcox
Then Set Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ |||||||||||||||| ||MIf       \
%0=%%0 Then Set Alias$When Set Alias$[ ||||||||||||||||
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 15:08:25 +0100 (BST)

>   unsigned long memset(...)

Actually memset etc should be defined in terms of size_t anyway from
a standards religion viewpoint