Subject: download a binary code in the kernel space

From: klein fabien <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 05:55:41 -0700 (PDT)

hi 

I m currently writting an linux driver for a multi modem PCI card
I need to download a binary file into the card to drive an arm csm
processor.
So my question is :is it possible to access this file via my module
driver and transfert it in the kernel space before downloading it
trough PCI bus??

Is there another of doing this ?
(using mmap ??..)

In advance Thanks a lot

KLEIN FABIEN
Sophia Antipolis France

_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 16:38:23 +0100 (BST)

> driver and transfert it in the kernel space before downloading it

Yes. Its far far neater to have a user program that configures the unit
however and does an ioctl() passing you the data
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthew Kirkwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 17:01:50 +0100 (BST)

> driver and transfert it in the kernel space before downloading it

Probably the best thing to do is to have your module register a misc
device and you can send it data by write()ing to or ioctl()ing it.

The alternative is to do what at least one other driver does (a SCSI one,
isn't it?) and just compile the code into the module/kernel.

Matthew.