Subject: glibc status on arm?

From: Vincent Renardias <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 01:42:36 +0100 (GMT+0100)

Hello,

I'm trying to compile glibc-2.0.92 for arm (cross-compiling from i386 with
binutils-2.8.1.0.30, gcc-2.8.1+pblundell-patches & kernel includes
"vger-CVS-current") and found the following problems: 

In the file sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/arm/profil-counter.h (line 25), gcc
complains that sc.reg.APM_pc is not a valid structure member; changing it
into "sc.arm_pc" (as defined in sigcontext.h) makes gcc happy.
This allows the build process to continue for a while and then fail on
dl-machine.h (which has not been ported to arm yet).

There also seems to be a binutils related problem when compiling
csu/crti.S; 
the corresponding lines are:
(line 23)	ldr	sl,L40
(line 27)	ldr	r3, L40+4
and the error message is:
"Error: Can not represent OFFSET_IMM relocation in this object file format
(1)"

Also, is the source used to build the current
arm-aout-libs-4.6.27-1a6.arm.rpm from ftp.arm.uk.linux.org available
somewhere? I couldn't find it in the SRPMS/ dir.

	Cordialement,

-- 
- Vincent RENARDIAS                 vincent@{waw.com,pipo.com,debian.org} -
- Debian/GNU Linux:           Pipo:                    WAW:               -
- http://www.fr.debian.org    http://www.pipo.com      http://www.waw.com -
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
- "La fonctionnalite Son Visuel vous delivre des avertissements visuels." -
-                          [Message durant l'installation de Windows95]:wq 

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 10:57:00 +0100

>into "sc.arm_pc" (as defined in sigcontext.h) makes gcc happy.

This is fixed in the very latest glibc sources.

>"Error: Can not represent OFFSET_IMM relocation in this object file format

I haven't seen that.  I'll check it out.

p.

---

From: Roland Fritz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 12:04:38 +0100

Hi all!

For me as newbe to ARM-Linux, I want to start on my old A310/4MB. 
Following questions:
Is the OAK SCSI interface supported? I only have SCSI disks on my 
A310.
Is 4 MB enough to start with? The A310 can't be fitted with more 
(unless providing a second MEMC1a)?
Is 200MB HD enough? On my PC I use 500MB, but with all you can eat 
(ISDN, X, FTP, WWW, SAMBA).

TIA
Roland.

=========================================================
Roland Fritz                            [email-masked]

Magdeburger Ring 29
76344 Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen
Germany

=========================================================
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 11:36:11 +0100

>Is the OAK SCSI interface supported? I only have SCSI disks on my 

A driver exists.  I've no idea how well it works.

>(unless providing a second MEMC1a)?

4MB is just about sufficient, yes.  You will probably find your machine swaps 
a lot, but it will work.  I'm still hoping to get 2MB machines running one day.

>(ISDN, X, FTP, WWW, SAMBA).

200MB entirely dedicated to Linux would be fine (people use far smaller disks 
than that with no problems).  If you want to share it with RISC OS it might be 
getting a little tight.  It really depends on what you want to do with the 
system.

p.