Subject: Setting up cross-compiler

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 21:00:15 +0800

Excuse me for what is probably a very basic question:  Is there any
more information about setting up gcc as a cross-compiler for ARM? 

The instructions at "http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/armlinux/tools.html"
simply suggest to apply the patches to gcc-2.7.2.2 (by the way, why is
the directory in gcc-2.7.2.2.patch called gcc-2.7.2, and why is one of
the patches already in the gcc-2.7.2.2 distribution?).

What I don't understand is how to get around the problem of making
libgcc1.a.  I'm building with --target=arm-unknown-linuxaout
--host=i586-redhat-linux, and the build stops with "You must find a
way to make libgcc1.a".  I've read the gcc info files about building
cross compilers, but that leaves me even more confused.

Otfried

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 14:25:53 +0100 (BST)

[email-masked]
> more information about setting up gcc as a cross-compiler for ARM? 

It's not a basic question at all, crosscompiling to the ARM with 2.7.x
was Hard.  2.8.x is significantly easier.

> cross compilers, but that leaves me even more confused.

Grab the libgcc.a that comes with the distribution.  Should be in the
gcc RPM.

Alternatively, build gcc 2.8.1 for crosscompilation, without applying
any patches to it.  This _should_ work.  2.8.0 miscompiles ARMLinux
kernels for me (and apparently it also miscompiles Linux for other
architectures); I haven't tried 2.8.1 yet.

-- 
Set Alias$Case Set Alias$[ |||| |MSet Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ \ Matthew
"" |MSet Alias$When If %0=%%0 Then Set Alias$[ "" ||MIf %0=%%0    \ Wilcox
Then Set Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ |||||||||||||||| ||MIf       \
%0=%%0 Then Set Alias$When Set Alias$[ ||||||||||||||||
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 16:33:47 +0100

>cross compilers, but that leaves me even more confused.

Get gcc 2.8.1.  It knows how to build libgcc1.a from the assembler source.  
I've posted the patch to make 2.7 work to this list a few times and you can 
probably find it in Matthew's archive.

p.

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 19:40:38 +0100 (BST)

> probably find it in Matthew's archive.

There are also other archive sites - have a look on my (new) web pages ;)

Also, of interest to developers (and may I recommend others do the same)
is a web page of what I'm working on.  (Idea from Alan Cox).  I know that
Phil's going to appreciate it ;)
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King        [email-masked]        --- ---
  | | | |    http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/home.html      /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 21:07:41 +0100 (BST)

> Phil's going to appreciate it ;)

Is 'Annoying Phil by doing the same job' on the top of it 8)
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]