Subject: Re: Sound

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 17:29:00 +0100 (BST)

Chris Rutter writes:
> Okay, next problem.  I've enabled all the sound stuff (`y' in the kernel
> config), but `echo woo >/dev/audio' just produces `bash: /dev/audio: No such
> device'.  This is a 2.0.33 kernel with the latest patches applied. 

What does /proc/devices say?  You should see a line:

14 sound

If you see that, check the following /dev entries, and their
major/minor numbers are correct:

crw--w--w-   1 root     root      14,   4 Jun 20  1997 /dev/audio
crw--w--w-   1 root     root      14,   3 Jun 20  1997 /dev/dsp
crw--w--w-   1 root     root      14,   5 Jun 26  1997 /dev/dsp16
crw--w--w-   1 root     root      14,   2 Jun 20  1997 /dev/midi
crw--w--w-   1 root     root      14,   1 Jun 20  1997 /dev/sequencer

If these are incorrect, remake them.

Next, check /dev/sndstat.  It should look something like:

Sound Driver:3.5.4-960630 (Tue Apr 14 22:37:28 BST 1998 src,
Linux raistlin 2.0.33 #63 Sat Mar 14 20:58:46 GMT 1998 sa110)
Kernel: Linux raistlin 2.0.33 #5 Wed Apr 15 23:30:40 BST 1998 sa110
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 28: ARM VIDC D/A

Card config:
ARM VIDC D/A irq 20 drq 7,0

Audio devices:
0: VIDCsound

Synth devices:
0: VIDCsound

Midi devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:
0: VIDCsound

*note* mixer and synth support are no where complete!
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 23:42:12 +0100 (BST)

> device'.  This is a 2.0.33 kernel with the latest patches applied. 

Ok, found & fixed...  Missing init call in arch/arm/drivers/char/mem.c...
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |         Russell King        [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |     http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/home.html     /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Chris Rutter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 08:33:04 +0100 (BST)

> Ok, found & fixed...  Missing init call in arch/arm/drivers/char/mem.c...

 Great; ta. :)  Will `sound' build as a module and work correctly in
the version I've got, though?  Could you p'raps supply a diff? :)

-- 
Chris Rutter <[email-masked]>                 ( http://www.fluff.org/widget )