Subject: strange goings-on with a PC-card

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 14:41:38 +0100 (BST)

Has anyone had problems with a RiscPC and copro card?  I added an SX-33
about a week ago and I've had several really nasty problems since.  Might
it be overheating?  Does ARMLinux do something nasty to the pc card?
I ask since it seems to undo the effect of PCSleep.

[oh, in case anyone's interested, I'm currently working on drivers for
Linux on the PC card.  I've asked Mark Brinicombe to send me the source
to his drivers, but he's not responded yet.  Prolly because he's in the
states.  Stock 2.1.92 boots from an initrd without trouble but my driver
for accessing floppies/hard discs/cdroms is not even nearly working yet.]

-- 
Set Alias$Case Set Alias$[ |||| |MSet Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ \ Matthew
"" |MSet Alias$When If %0=%%0 Then Set Alias$[ "" ||MIf %0=%%0    \ Wilcox
Then Set Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ |||||||||||||||| ||MIf       \
%0=%%0 Then Set Alias$When Set Alias$[ ||||||||||||||||
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 09:39:48 +0100 (BST)

> I ask since it seems to undo the effect of PCSleep.

ARM Linux does not touch anything near the second processor interface.
The only thing is that ARM Linux will trample over all RAM, including the
RAM that the PC card is using...

>From what I remember a couple of years ago, this information is only
available under NDA.  You're not the first person to try to port Linux
to the PC card - others include Mark Brinicombe and Martin Ebourne...
In each case, they haven't been able to release the driver sources
for their port.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King        [email-masked]        --- ---
  | | | |    http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/home.html      /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 10:20:16 +0100 (BST)

Russell King - ARM Linux Admin
> RAM that the PC card is using...

That's not the problem.  I have quit !PC before booting Linux.  For some
reason the CPU heats up again.  I get random crashes, and I just had a
nasty bout with fsck ;-(  Fortunately nothing important got damaged.
If I can get the source released in a usable form, how about integrating
PCSleep into the kernel?

> In each case, they haven't been able to release the driver sources

Ah, I don't remember MJE having a go at it.  Yes, I've had to sign an NDA,
but they accept that the source will be released under the GPL and are
happy with this.  I wouldn't've agreed to do it otherwise.

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 15:22:59 +0100 (BST)

> In each case, they haven't been able to release the driver sources

In which case you ae probably better reverse engineering the system but
doing it legally. Or better yet tell Acorn where to stick their policy and
buy ARM hardware and PC hardware from more helpful sources.

Alan

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 15:36:13 +0100 (BST)

Alan Cox
> buy ARM hardware and PC hardware from more helpful sources.

Calm down!  I've been speaking to MattBee from Aleph-1, he phoned up
Laurie van Someren and we now have permission to use the source to
PCSleep in ARMLinux.  I have said source and will look at it tonight.
There's a certain amount more openness than there used to be - once I've
got this out of the way I have another proposition to put to them.

The NDA that I have signed will allow me to release the work I have done
on the driver under the GPL.  I have not yet done so because it doesn't
work.  Yet ;-)

---

From: "FABIAN PATINO (BIANCCIO)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 11:39:03 -0500 (EST)

Some body can help me? i got problems with my linux webserver, when i try
to connect linuux give me a erro message : server_log acces denied

whats is the problem. what can i do ?

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 18:20:21 +0100 (BST)

FABIAN PATINO
> whats is the problem. what can i do ?

You could try asking in the appropriate place.  This list is specifically
for discussing the Linux port to ARM processors.  You could also attempt
to provide more useful information when you do ask for help in a more
appropriate place.  Give a clear description of a sequence of steps which
lead to the error occurring and report the error message exactly.  Some
details of your setup would also be a good idea.  Try the newsgroup
comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix.