Subject: Installing on an 4 MB A5000

From: Hans Bogaards <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 15:05:02 +0200

Hello,

I'm trying to install ARM-Linux on my A5000 with 4 MB RAM. I'm using the
a5k-kernel version 2.0.31 and the newest RPC-root disk and supplemental disk.

I tried to install with giving the kernel the options 
'root=/dev/fd0 ramdisk=0'. By doing this the root floppy gets mounted as
root-disk and now the RedHat installer starts. But because I'm installing
from harddisk the installer asks for the supplemental-disk and then it hangs.

As far as I can see, this method could be used when installing from CD-ROM
or NFS (the ones that don't need the supplemental-disk), but my question is,
is there a way to use a method like this (or maybe something totally
different) to install ARM-Linux on a 4 MB machine?
-- 
Tot mails!                        "You can't help respecting someone
Hans                                    who can spell Tuesday,
                                     even if he spells it wrong"
                                                      Winnie the Pooh
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 15:17:38 +0100 (BST)

Hans Bogaards
> from harddisk the installer asks for the supplemental-disk and then it hangs.

Yes.  You've just removed the root filesystem from underneath the kernel.
It cannot continue.

> different) to install ARM-Linux on a 4 MB machine?

Not right now.  It could probably be done by building you a special
kernel and bootdiscs.  If IscaFS ever gains the ability to write to ext2
partitions, then this would allow people to install without a special
bootdisc.  Let's see what Phil Norman's managed to achieve over Easter ;-)
If you're interested in helping, please feel free to download the source
to the read-only IscaFS from ftp.barnet.ac.uk/pub/Acorn/armlinux/iscafs/

-- 
Set Alias$Case Set Alias$[ |||| |MSet Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ \ Matthew
"" |MSet Alias$When If %0=%%0 Then Set Alias$[ "" ||MIf %0=%%0    \ Wilcox
Then Set Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ |||||||||||||||| ||MIf       \
%0=%%0 Then Set Alias$When Set Alias$[ ||||||||||||||||
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Hans Bogaards <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 14:44:45 +0200

Hello,

On Thu, Apr 16, 1998 at 03:17:38PM +0100, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

>> I tried to install with giving the kernel the options 'root=/dev/fd0
>> ramdisk=0'. By doing this the root floppy gets mounted as root-disk and now
>> the RedHat installer starts. But because I'm installing from harddisk the
>> installer asks for the supplemental-disk and then it hangs.
> 

I realised that, but I was wondering would it work with two diskdrives? One
for the root-disk and one for the supplemental disk

Further, is it possible to (temporarily) install a HD diskdrive from a PC
in my A5000 with a standard PC-diskdrive cable or do I need special Acorn
stuff for this?

> to the read-only IscaFS from ftp.barnet.ac.uk/pub/Acorn/armlinux/iscafs/

I would like to help, but my knowledge of Linux and Risc OS isn't
sufficient, I fear. But good luck with developing it further! I'll follow
the progress closely!
-- 
Tot mails!                        "You can't help respecting someone
Hans                                    who can spell Tuesday,
                                     even if he spells it wrong"
                                                      Winnie the Pooh
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 14:17:39 +0100 (BST)

Hans Bogaards
> for the root-disk and one for the supplemental disk

It /should/ work.  It will probably require a slight change to the
rootdisc, which I'm willing to do for you.  Actually, it might give you
the opportunity to put the disc in a different drive, it's a while since
I ran the installer.

> in my A5000 with a standard PC-diskdrive cable or do I need special Acorn

Should work straight off.  I never did - I had a second hard disc in place
of the 2nd floppy disc drive.

> sufficient, I fear. But good luck with developing it further! I'll follow

Ah well, always worth blagging someone into helping ;-)  Linux knowledge
isn't really required to help with IscaFS, but understanding of Image
filesystems is.

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 14:32:31 +0100

>in my A5000 with a standard PC-diskdrive cable or do I need special Acorn

It should work.  The A5000 is pretty good in that respect.

p.

---

From: James Craig <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 08:14:25 +0000 (GMT)

>It should work.  The A5000 is pretty good in that respect.
Yep, should be fine on an A5000.
Don't try it on an A300/400/3000 tho, it usually doesn't work well at
all, and technically you need a buffer-board when doing it on those
machines. Apparently the Risc PCs, A3010s, A3020s, and A4000s don't have
the drive select lines wired up either, so you're stuck with one drive on
them.
BTW - There's some comments in the 1772 FDC driver for ARM linux that
suggests it supports two drives - but the hardware in old archies can
actually support four drives, which I've actually got on one of my
machines. Dave, how's the multiple drive stuff working this weather? ;)
>p. 
^^^^^ Shortest sig block since the dawn of time. :)

-- James Craig
   <[email-masked]>