Subject: StrongARM + Ether3

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 21:34:10 +0100 (BST)

I've just upgraded my RiscPC to a StrongARM (hooray ;-)  However, the
Ether3 module no longer works.  It complains about not being able to
determine the width of the podule bus.  So I recompiled the kernel,
telling the configure script to compile for a StrongARM instead of
an ARM6/7.  This had the same problem.  Then I put the ARM610 back in,
the original kernel worked fine, and the strongarm one died horribly
with the arm610 ;-)

This is 2.0.33-19980120.  Should 2.1.97 work out of the box?

-- 
Set Alias$Case Set Alias$[ |||| |MSet Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ \ Matthew
"" |MSet Alias$When If %0=%%0 Then Set Alias$[ "" ||MIf %0=%%0    \ Wilcox
Then Set Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ |||||||||||||||| ||MIf       \
%0=%%0 Then Set Alias$When Set Alias$[ ||||||||||||||||
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 19:54:37 +0100 (BST)

Matthew Wilcox writes:
> determine the width of the podule bus.

Aha, we may be getting somewhere with those Ether3/EtherB cards that
don't work here.  This is telling me that there is something different
when a StrongARM is used.

The StrongARM doesn't replicate a byte write across all byte lanes, and
as such, the test in the Ether3/EtherB driver is failing to detect the
podule bus width correctly.  As such, it is reporting an error which
prevents the driver from recognising the ether chip.

Next weekend's patches should allow many more people to use their
Ether3/EtherB cards...
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |