Subject: Bad magic

From: Tony Houghton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 1998 18:16:23 +0000

I've just installed ARMLinux from the Clan CD, following Phil Norman's
guide almost to the letter. It seemed to go through the installation OK
[1], but now when I try to boot into Linux having used the configurer,
it says something about invalid magic in the bmap at sector 0.

[1] Except that when installing RPMs it gave some "dne" (does not
exist?) errors, possibly connected with some of the file names being
truncated, which I couldn't be bothered to fix?

-- 
  \_________________
                    \  http://homepages.tcp.co.uk/~tonyh/
   The Curling Pages \ The home of WinEd, Bombz and NewsFind for RISC OS
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 19:07:39 +0000 (GMT)

Tony Houghton
> it says something about invalid magic in the bmap at sector 0.

I haven't read Forrey's instructions, but you get bad magic when you
attempt to boot from a hard disc that you haven't run `loadmap' on.
What you should do is ensure that the Linux booter can't find its config
files (cos there's a misfeature in the booter that I use. may have been
fixed in later versions, I guess) and then boot it with -bootkernel (ie
how you boot it the first time).  Tell it `root=/dev/hda3' (or whatever)
and then when you're booted, copy the kernel onto the hard disc, edit
/etc/boot.conf appropriately and run loadmap -v.

> truncated, which I couldn't be bothered to fix?

Sounds right.

-- 
Set Alias$Case Set Alias$[ |||| |MSet Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ \ Matthew
"" |MSet Alias$When If %0=%%0 Then Set Alias$[ "" ||MIf %0=%%0    \ Wilcox
Then Set Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ |||||||||||||||| ||MIf       \
%0=%%0 Then Set Alias$When Set Alias$[ ||||||||||||||||
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Tony Houghton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 1998 00:39:59 +0000

In message <[email-masked]>

> /etc/boot.conf appropriately and run loadmap -v.

Thanks for your help, but loadmap died with a segmentation fault (code
3).

Oh well, I think I'll go back to RiscBSD. I was just getting used to it,
but some frustrations made me want to look at ARMLinux - but it looks
like its headaches are even larger :-(. Not Russel's fault really,
nothing ported from UNIX to Acorns ever works properly, but at least
RiscBSD has several paid people working on it.

> > truncated, which I couldn't be bothered to fix?

I fixed the filenames, but I still got the errors.

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 11:36:21 +0000 (GMT)

Tony Houghton
> Thanks for your help, but loadmap died with a segmentation fault (code

It does this on some people's machines.  I don't know why, and it doesn't
happen on mine so I can't try and find out why ;-(

> like its headaches are even larger :-(.

I don't think anyone's ever denied that ARMLinux is more rough around
the edges than RiscBSD.  Wait until ELF and libc6 happen, then things
will be much better.

> Not Russel's fault really,
> nothing ported from UNIX to Acorns ever works properly

I don't consider this to be true.  There are occasional problems with
programs expecting chars to be signed when they're unsigned on the ARM,
but there are architectures with worse problems than the ARM.

If you're referring to porting UNIX programs to RISC OS then you're
comparing bananas against oranges.

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 23:00:41 +0000 (GMT)

> fixed in later versions, I guess) and then boot it with -bootkernel (ie

The misfeature has been removed in the alpha release of the new !Linux.
Does anyone have any feedback on this yet?

> /etc/boot.conf appropriately and run loadmap -v.

Note however that some versions of loadmap give a segmentation violation
if you have a config {} block in the /etc/boot.conf - the best way round
it is to use loadmap -v -R <root-device> instead of a config {} block.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King        [email-masked]        --- ---
  | | | |    http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/home.html      /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |