Subject: Linux CD's

From: Ulrich Schwanecke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 08:42:19 +0100

On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, Robert Bergs wrote 

> Thanks to all who replied to my partion problem.
> I now have another!
> Fed up with not being able to mount ADFS, I thought I could install direct
> from CD :)
> I FTP'd everything, put it in a directory called RedHat, and burnt it into
> a CD. Problems :-
>
> a ) ISO 9660 only supports 8.3 filenames - so all filenames get truncated.
> b ) CD filenames are converted into Upper case - meaning that RedHat
>     cannot find the files - or even the RedHat directory, as it's called
>     REDHAT!
>
> Surely there is an easy way around this ?
>
> Cheers, Rob ([email-masked])

I have the same problem, so what is the solution?

Thank you Uli ([email-masked])
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: "A.S.MCGough" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 09:39:02 +0000 (GMT)

> unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

I used mkisofs under unix to create an iso9660 image with RockRidge
extensions, this gives two sets of file names on the CD. The normal Dosy
8+3 which is read under dos/win/RiscOs and the RockRidge, full names, that
should be read when used under linux/unix.

The command line options I use are 

mkisofs -a -d -D -L -o cdimage.iso -r -v <directory to use for cd>

Other options may help such as 
-l - allow 32 character file names rather than 8+3 (still only upper case)
-P , -p -A, -V - specify disk names.

cheers.

steve..