Subject: Linux CD's

From: Robert Bergs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 11:22:50 +0000 (GMT)

Thanks to all who replied to my partion problem.
I now have another!
Fed up with not being able to mount ADFS, I thought I could install direct
from CD :)
I FTP'd everything, put it in a directory called RedHat, and burnt it into
a CD. Problems :-

a ) ISO 9660 only supports 8.3 filenames - so all filenames get truncated.
b ) CD filenames are converted into Upper case - meaning that RedHat
cannot find the files - or even the RedHat directory, as it's called
REDHAT!

Surely there is an easy way around this ?

Cheers, Rob ([email-masked])

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 09:32:31 +0000 (GMT)

> cannot find the files - or even the RedHat directory, as it's called

I've seen a RedHat CD and AFAICR there is a file on the CDROM which 
contains mappings of upper-case filenames to 'real' filenames.  I'll 
check this with a few friends - they'll probably know - and I'll get back 
to you.

P.S. "Linux CDs" has no apostrophe.

-- 
Phil Norman, mailing from Exeter Uni.
Programs available for download from my web page.
email:  [email-masked]
web:    http://newton.ex.ac.uk/general/ug/norman

---

From: Robert Bergs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 14:56:24 +0000 (GMT)

> check this with a few friends - they'll probably know - and I'll get back 
----I've just had an idea - Is it possible to ZIP up all installation
files into a single file, save that onto a CD using an 8.3 filename, then
unzip it onto the hard drive (using HDA3), then tell RedHat to install
from there?

I suspect there would be a problem mounting the CD - I tried one as a test
and Linux complained that it could not mount a read-only file system. The
-r flag on mount didn't seem to be available.

If anyone has successfully done the install from CD, then please let me
know how you did it!

Cheers - Rob.
[email-masked]