Subject: kernel patches

From: G a r a n <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 12:34:06 +0000

Hi

When I try to patch my kernel sources I have downloaded with the arm patches
from the ftp site, although it creates all the right directory structures in
linux/arch/arm, all the files are there but are empty.  It brings up some
strange messages when applying the patch - how can I log these to a file for
investigation? 

Might the reason for all this be that my kernel sources are on my scsi disc
and seeing as I have no scsi support in my kernel (yet) I have to mount it
on /mnt so making the source in /mnt/usr/src?  / being the initial root and
boot discs from the ftp site.  Is there anyway of changing the / to being
/dev/sda3 once I've booted or editing the boot disk to load up
acornscsi_mod.o and mount /dev/sda3 on /?

Anyway - that's what's going wrong.  

Any help appreciated

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 15:30:48 +0000

>strange messages when applying the patch - how can I log these to a file for

`patch ... 2>&1 | tee logfile' may do what you want.

>on /mnt so making the source in /mnt/usr/src?  / being the initial root and

That oughtn't to make any difference.  Just do `cd /mnt/usr/src' and then 
apply the patch.

>acornscsi_mod.o and mount /dev/sda3 on /?

You could do this sort of thing with initrd.  But since that would involve 
recompiling the kernel, you might as well put support for the correct scsi 
card in there.

p.