Subject: Linux 2.1.88 pre patch

From: Russell King <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 22:29:32 +0000 (GMT)

Hi.

I have released onto the ftp site a pre-patch for 2.1.88.  Should anyone
want a look-see, they can find it at:

ftp.arm.uk.linux.org:/pub/armlinux/kernel-sources/v2.1/pre-patch-2.1.88-1.gz

NOTE!  This patch contains various patches and ideas, as well as some
work towards the integration of the ARM port into Linus' source tree -
beware if you use this to generate your own patches that *anything* can
change!
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |         Russell King        [email-masked]       --- ---
  | | | |     http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/home.html     /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 09:16:13 +0000

>I have released onto the ftp site a pre-patch for 2.1.88.  Should anyone

Incidentally, I'm glad to see that we have drivers/acorn now, rather than arch/
arm/drivers/...

p.

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 10:17:23 +0000 (GMT)

> Incidentally, I'm glad to see that we have drivers/acorn now, rather than 
> arch/arm/drivers/...

Yep. There is still stuff in the drivers/acorn dir that wants merging with
other drivers in the end, but it is relatively clean.

Alan

---

From: James Craig <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 11:20:49 +0000 (GMT)

> other drivers in the end, but it is relatively clean.
Yes, that's a definate improvement. One thing tho - AFAICR, the other
directories are named after the bus type, not the machine type - for
example, pci and sbus instead of PC and sparc - so shouldn't it be
drivers/podule? ;)

(/me nitpicks on a trivial point. ;) )

Anyhow, I'd been hearing about a few legal issues on RISC OS DOOM -
anybody know if this applies to the ARM generally or just to RISC OS?

--
James Craig <[email-masked]>

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 11:58:19 +0000 (GMT)

> example, pci and sbus instead of PC and sparc - so shouldn't it be

I actually talked to Russell about that but it appears even acorn dropped
the podule name. If its drivers/acorn everyone knows what it is. Blame me if
you wanted it as podule

> anybody know if this applies to the ARM generally or just to RISC OS?

There aren't any real legal issues Im aware of so long as people are not
distributing the non-free WAD files (ie parts 2/3, doomII etc) and are not
charging in any way for it. The license is on ftp.idsoftware.com for the
curious.

Alan

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 12:03:55 +0000

>the podule name. If its drivers/acorn everyone knows what it is. Blame me if

That's right - they didn't think it fitted in with their new serious image.

p.

---

From: Russ King <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 12:08:53 +0000 (GMT)

> example, pci and sbus instead of PC and sparc - so shouldn't it be

However, we couldn't exactly put in a directory drivers/expansion-cards since
that is too general.

---

From: James Craig <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 13:13:08 +0000 (GMT)

> However, we couldn't exactly put in a directory drivers/expansion-cards since
OK, how about drivers/debi? :)
(Not a serious suggestion, that name only applies to the DMA capable
stufff, I think. On the other hand, what did acorn call the original
podule bus internally?)

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 13:27:05 +0000

>stufff, I think. On the other hand, what did acorn call the original

"The podule bus" I think.  Not a very imaginative lot.

p.

---

From: James Craig <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 13:37:58 +0000 (GMT)

> "The podule bus" I think.  Not a very imaginative lot.
That's clearly not true, look at the internal names for all of acorn's
machines and the chips and stuff - and remember we had FRED, JIM, and
SHELIA in the days of the beeb. There's DEBI for the new podule bus, and
we've got all the other million and one dodgy abbreviations Acorn use. :)
Bet the podule bus has at least one other name. :)
--
James Craig <[email-masked]>