Subject: Insmod crashing problems...

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 15:14:16 +0000 (GMT)

Hi.

It concerns me that some people are having a problem with insmod crashing.

There was a known problem with early insmod versions whereby if you had
>=24MB of RAM, then when insmod is used, it doesn't perform all the fixup's
between the kernel and the module correctly.

This can be identified by a page fault / oops which looks like:

pc: [<0xc4......>]
lr: [<0xc2......>]
...
Process insmod ....

This is because the ARM's b/bl instructions can only address +/- 16MB from
the current location.

The latest insmod fixes this problem, and should be on the latest installation
disks on the FTP site.

Can the people who are having problems with insmod please check that they are
using the latest disks, and the latest insmod package.  If they are, then can
they urgently mail me.

Thanks.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King        [email-masked]        --- ---
  | | | |    http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/home.html      /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Stefan Voss <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 21:26:37 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>,
     Russell King wrote:

> [...]

Just an observation from my install session: I had the above insmod crash
only with the latest (2.0.31) kernel from the ftp site. With an earlier
kernel (Oct 26th) insmod runs just fine. The crash also only
happens when installing. Insmod doesn't crash when booting into multiuser
mode. In this case it "only" fails because of unresolved symbols when
using the latest kernel.

And yes I used the latest disks. I downloaded them twice to be sure.

>   |   |        Russell King        [email-masked]        --- ---

Regards,
   Stefan

-- 
Stefan Voss
([email-masked])