Subject: Re: Installation Problems

From: Stefan Voss <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 10:11:53 +0100

In message <Pine.SGI.3.91.980116140745.13793A-100000@hebe>,
     Phil Norman wrote:

> [...]
> I've written a complete installation guide for installing armlinux from
> the Clan CD (which has the RPMs in an x-files archive too).  You can
> download this from my web site (URL in the sig).  I'm afraid it's several
> meg, but it does contain everything you'll need to install armlinux.  The
> guide will work just as well if you've downloaded the RPMs and haven't got
> them from the Clan CD. 

By following Phil's install guide I was able to copy the RPMS to the
native Linux partitions and do a local hard disk install. Thanks Phil!

The most recent kernel still had insmod crashing so I had to use an
earlier kernel (from Oct 26th). 

As described in Phil's install guide the install program says "Couldn't
find a kernel" when it wants to configure lilo. At what location is the
install program looking for a kernel? It shouldn't be a problem to copy a
kernel manually to the location where the install program can find it.
After that the install program could finish its lilo configuration.

Another problem occurrs when I try to start Linux by doubleclicking on
!Linux. I used !LinConfig to set the kernel location to '*ADFS::4.0'. When
I doubleclick on !Linux I get the error message: 

   "invalid bmap magicin first sector of partition".
   
I suppose that this error occurrs because the lilo setup couldn't be
finished. I tried the "Override kernel" option in !Linux.Choices and in
!Boot.Choices.Linux.Config to use a kernel from RiscOS but I got the same
error.

> Best of luck,
> Phil

Regards,
   Stefan
   
-- 
Stefan Voss
([email-masked])

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Michael Howard <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 11:57:41 +0000 (GMT)

>    "invalid bmap magicin first sector of partition".

I get exactly the same message but I'm using my 2nd IDE drive, 5.

> !Boot.Choices.Linux.Config to use a kernel from RiscOS but I got the same

I tried it too with the same result. Additionally I had to manually edit the 
Choices file as !LinConfig fails to save a Choices file.

During installation ony a third of the RPMS files installed correctly. Any 
ideas as to why? They came of the Clan CD.

I'll keep trying.

Cheers, Mick.

-- 
Mick Howard			
Warrington

---

From: Stefan Voss <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 21:11:06 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>,

> I get exactly the same message but I'm using my 2nd IDE drive, 5.

I found the solution to this problem in the FAQ. I had to 
- copy a kernel to /vmlinux 
- create /etc/boot.conf with an appropriate entry, see the boot.conf man
  page
- Create the following link: ln -s /dev/hda3 /dev/root
  /dev/hda3 is my Linux root partition. If you are using drive 5 it should
  probably be "ln -s /dev/hdb3 /dev/root" for you. 
- loadmap -v

After that I can boot into Linux just by doubleclicking !Liunx.

Regards,
   Stefan
   
-- 
Stefan Voss
([email-masked])