Subject: Installing ARM Linux on an A5000

From: Chris Pringle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1998 11:54:49 +0000 (GMT)

Problem 1 : Getting ARM Linux to see my Ether3 card
How do I get linux to see my Ether3 card on an A5000? It says it cannot
see the device anywhere on my system. What extra arguments should I add?

Problem 2 : Installing ARM Linux using a Local Hard Disk image
How do I install ARM Linux using a local Hard Disk image? If it can read my
ADFS Drives do I have to put the files in a image file with long filenames
and no limitation to directory size? If so how do I create them, do I use
PCem or is the partition type different? From what I can remember DOSDisc's can
not have long file names.

Problem 3 : Getting ARM Linux to see my Oak SCSI card
How do I get linux to see my Oak SCSI 1 card with a PowerROM upgrade (to make
it use a SCSI 2 command set). Again it says it cannot see the device anywhere
on my system. What extra arguments should I include. I have a SCSI CDROM Drive
attached and a SCSI Viper 150 tape streamer.

Any solutions to these problems would be appreciated. Could all solutions be 
sent directly to me as I don't know if I am yet suscribed to the mailing list.
Regards,
---
Chris Pringle
22, St. Mary's Drive, Fairford, Glos. GL7 4LQ
P.S.Check out My web site at 
http://www.latrigg.demon.co.uk/Chris.homepage.html

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1998 16:37:10 +0000

>see the device anywhere on my system. What extra arguments should I add?

What are the exact messages you get?  My A5000 detects its Ether3 OK.

p.

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 1998 21:10:38 +0000 (GMT)

> not have long file names.

You don't actually *need* long file names.  As long as they are unique,
the rpm manager can make do.

> attached and a SCSI Viper 150 tape streamer.

Ah.  Oh dear.  The same sort of problem affects RiscBSD.. let me explain
as well as I understand the problem:

The ROM on a podule contains a manufacturer ID & product code.  When you
replace the Oak ROM with a PowerROM, the manufacturer & product code
change.  This is a Bad Thing and Alsystems have received wrist-slappings
from the Causality over this before.  What needs to happen is that the
Oak driver has to be modified to recognise either the original or the
new powerrom.  I suspect you might be able to help here by telling us
what manufacturer and product codes Linux reports during bootup.

---

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 14:09:05 +0000 (GMT)

> not have long file names.

If you put them in an image file the ADFS linux read-only FS won't read 
them (although I've heard there is an x-files archive reader somewhere).  
If you use LongFileNames, linux will see all the files with long names as 
(C)JPT_xxx where xxx is a number.  If you need more than 77 RPMs to be 
installed, the best way is to zip them all up (with their long filenames) 
on ADFS and then get linux to unzip the zip file from your adfs partition 
onto your ext2 partition, and then install from there.

-- 
Phil Norman, mailing from Exeter Uni.
Programs available for download from my web page.
email:  [email-masked]
web:    http://newton.ex.ac.uk/general/ug/norman