Subject: Little X problem

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 16:17:04 +0000 (GMT)

I would use Xwindows a lot more than I do - tis a nice thing.  However, 
I'm having big problems switching to a virtual terminal when in X.  I've 
already tried all combinations of Ctrl/Shift/Alt and F-keys and nothing 
seems to work.  I've seen it done on an i386-linux box using 
Ctrl-Fsomething (or Shift-Ctrl-Fsomething - not sure), but that was 
probably using XFree86 which is a different version.  Anyone know how I 
can switch VTs under the armlinux Xwindows?

Thanks in advance,
Phil

P.S. Now exams are over I'm going to do a bit of work on IscaFS.  I'm 
hoping to get v0.02 out within a week or so which will hopefully have all 
the bugs fixed and some more graceful handling of symbolic links.

-- 
Phil Norman, mailing from Exeter Uni.
Programs available for download from my web page.
email:  [email-masked]
web:    http://newton.ex.ac.uk/general/ug/norman

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: "J.M. Appleby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 17:00:21 +0000 (GMT)

> can switch VTs under the armlinux Xwindows?

Have you tried chvt? Usually does the trick...

J

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 20:18:59 +0000 (GMT)

> Have you tried chvt? Usually does the trick...

Xwindows != XFree86.  XFree86 has VT switching support.  Xwindows does not.

Attempting to force a VT switch will be very stupid as Xwindows does not
support the necessary functions, and will corrupt the screen.

Your best bet is to wait until the integration of ARM Linux with the main
kernel source tree - chances are that the whole ARM X interface may well
change as a result of several people's work.  Hence to remove yet-another-
X-port which does something in a different way I don't think that it would
be a good idea to think about XF86 yet.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King        [email-masked]        --- ---
  | | | |    http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/home.html      /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |