Subject: Getting an EBSA board.. or possibly DNARD board

From: Anthony Rumble <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 16:57:38 +1100 (EST)

I am very keen in doing some work with linux on an SA110 platform, and was
wondering if anyone know of a good source for a one off EBSA or DNARD
based board.

---
Anthony Rumble
Interactive Infotainment Systems P/L   ACN: 076 046 252
Phone 02-9798-7604 Mobile 015-955-042 Pager 016-634-997

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Dave Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 1998 13:39:46 +0000 (GMT)

> wondering if anyone know of a good source for a one off EBSA or DNARD

What is DNARD?

Dave

---------------------------------------------------- Man can not live  -
 Dr. David Alan Gilbert - gro.gilbert @ treblig.org  by bread alone. He-
---------------------------------------------------- needs chocolate.  -

---

From: Anthony Rumble <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 1998 23:56:20 +1100 (EST)

> > wondering if anyone know of a good source for a one off EBSA or DNARD

Digital Network Appliance Reference Design
http://www.research.digital.com/SRC/iag/info/new-home.html

Basically.. it's Digitals NC in a box.. with ALL the specs given away ..
It even includes the specs for the packeging.. 

the EBSA I think is the Evaluation Board StrongARM.. I could be wrong..

I've asked the peopel within Digital where to get one.. and they haven't
been much use so far.. and now that the chips production has now all been
sold to Intel......

Anyway.. I have a number of NC projects I want to start working on, which
is why I want to try and get one of these beasts ASAP.. 

Ive mailed every customer on digitals pages who say there working on a
production unit where and when I can get one.. I haven't yet gotten any
satisfactory responce..

What have I gotta do? Jump up and down with cash in my hand?

---
Anthony Rumble

---

From: Dave Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 1998 17:09:04 +0000 (GMT)

> http://www.research.digital.com/SRC/iag/info/new-home.html

Ah - one of those!

> been much use so far.. and now that the chips production has now all been

Don't worry about that; Digital won't actually sell you anything - or
tell you anything useful like where to buy one.  In actual fact its
rumoured that its impossible to buy anything that Digital make :-)

Look at Digital's web page and look for the distributor for your country;
phone them up and quote the exact part number for the EBSA-285 from DECs
web page - and if your lucky they'll be able to sell you one.
Last time I asked they said there was an 8 week leed time - that should be
about now! So yes you should be able to get one (that was talking to
Eurodis/Bytech - the UK distributor).
Prepare to fight your way through to someone who knows.

> What have I gotta do? Jump up and down with cash in my hand?

YOu think that will help - ha!

Dave

---

From: Anthony Rumble <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 06:03:36 +1100 (EST)

> Prepare to fight your way through to someone who knows.

Talking to some "Expert Digital Consumers".. they say it's all in knowing
the part number. The problem is not knowing where to buy one, but HOW to
buy one... We aparantly don't know how..

If you get the full localised part number (rumered to be at least 32
characters long).. you can order the product..

---
Anthony Rumble

---

From: "Ka'Plaagh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 1998 13:18:02 +0000

> It even includes the specs for the packeging.. 

Correct, it's also known as SHARK.

> the EBSA I think is the Evaluation Board StrongARM.. I could be wrong..

Yup, Evaluation Board StrongARM.  I guess that they could easily be called
SAEBs.
 
> been much use so far.. and now that the chips production has now all been

Tell me about it.  By the by, I haven't answered because I only just saw this
mail.  There again, I don't work at all between Christmas and New Year (ever).
 
> is why I want to try and get one of these beasts ASAP.. 

DNARD is hard to get but is being made (not by Digital anymore).
 
> What have I gotta do? Jump up and down with cash in my hand?

The latest EBSA is the EBSA-285.  It is available in quantity now, all of our
suppliers (see the Digital Semiconductor web site).  Linux is not yet (quite) 
running on it but Russell should have his system by now, so you never know.  
As a system it looks a lot like Corel's 21285 based SA-110 system and very like
Causality's upcoming system.

> unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

----------------------------------------------------------------------
David A Rusling				Consulting Engineer
European Semiconductor Applications	Digital Equipment Co Ltd.,
	Engineering			PO Box 121,
					Imperial Way,
					Worton Grange
					Reading RG2 0TU
Linux, Alpha, StrongArm, PCI		Tel: UK-(0)1734-204380
					Fax: UK-(0)1734-203133
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Anthony Rumble <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 23:22:49 +1100 (EST)

> mail.  There again, I don't work at all between Christmas and New Year (ever).

I have some Order numbers.. Im not sure if there the correct ones..
I have EC-R6MSB-TE for the EBSA-285 Evaluation Board

and

EC-R8JLB-TE for the DNARD..

Are these correct?

> Causality's upcoming system.

Would be very keen to be kept in the loop regarding availability..

Im in Sydney Australia, so it may be even harder for me to get them..
I haven't approached the local distributer yet.. Im afraid he will have no
idea what im after..  If you could verify the ordering numbers.... that
may help..

---
Anthony Rumble