Subject: bootloader

From: G a r a n <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 1998 14:57:15 +0000

Hi

A butchered copy of the formatter from !MOFS and also of riscbsd_bb and
!Partman would finally partition my scsi disc.  I've tried wiping the disc
many times since, and it won't be partitioned until I use BOTH the changed
versions of the above...  weird.

However, in the FAQ, to install the bootloader I use the -bootkernel
argument again but then specify root=/dev/sda3 ( in my case) in the extra
arguments.  However, I assume acornscsi_mod.o isn't loaded, so how would I
load this at the same time, or do I need acornscsi compiled into my kernel?
Currently it complains, which is understandable.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Garan
-- 
garan @ digiserve . com     garanj @ etoncomp . demon . co . uk

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 21:39:02 +0000 (GMT)

> versions of the above...  weird.

Very.  Would you mind writing down exactly what you did and posting
it here?  That way it will go into my archives & anyone else who suffers
from the same problem can have it fixed more easily.

> Currently it complains, which is understandable.

You need it compiled in.  The best thing to do would be to boot off floppy,
insmod the acornscsi.o and then roll your own kernel.  It's not terribly
hard, don't be frightened.

(1) Download the virgin 2.0.31 source from your nearest mirror.
(2) Unpack it (tar -zxf linux-2.0.31.tar.gz)
(3) Apply the latest patch on the ftp site
    (cd linux && zcat ../linux-patch.gz | patch -p1)
(4) If you're using a RiscPC, leave it as-is, else edit arch/arm/Makefile
(5) Type `make config', ensuring you leave `enable versioning on module
    symbols' ON.  Else the FPE won't load.  Enable various other things
    as you see fit.  Pressing ? gives you help on that option.  Don't
    make things as modules until you really nkow what you're doing.
(6) make dep && make clean && make zImage
[cup-o-coffee time]
(7) cp arch/arm/zImage /wherever/you/want/it/vmlinuz
(8) edit /etc/boot.conf
(9) run loadmap -v
(10) reboot.  Enjoy life.

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 1998 23:01:02 +0000

>[cup-o-coffee time]

As a matter of passing interest, how long does it take to compile a kernel on 
a RiscPC?

p. (a member of the Gilbert school of benchmarking)

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 1998 23:01:02 +0000

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 11:02:32 +0000 (GMT)

> p. (a member of the Gilbert school of benchmarking)

With an ARM6, 1 hour 15 minutes timein user, 1 hour 50 time-elapsed, but I
was fiddling with glibc snapshots at the same time + using it as an NFS server,
so 1 hour 20 seems about right.