Subject: Secondary partition tables

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 16:11:09 +0000 (GMT)

Hi!

RiscBSD and Linux cannot exist on the same disc because their secondary 
partition tables are different.  Wouldn't it be a far better idea to have 
a standard partition table that both could use, with room for expansion 
so that future OSses could use the same system too (including RiscOS 
filing systems in fact)?

The Linux partition table caters for that possibility and has a very 
simple method of storing partitions together with an identifying word.  
I'm not sure what RiscBSD uses, but it's probably something similar.  How 
about BSD and Linux people talking about which should be used by both, 
since this would simplify things considerably and, in fact, would allow 
both OSses to use the SAME partitions (if certain partitions would be 
used for data files, images etc).  I think that linux can read UFS (or 
whatever it's called) partitions and BSD can probably read ext2 
partitions too, so this would be a far more flexible system.

Anyway, I'll leave the kernelly people to ponder that one.  Bye for now,
Phil

-- 
Phil Norman, mailing from Exeter Uni.
Programs available for download from my web page.
email:  [email-masked]
web:    http://newton.ex.ac.uk/general/ug/norman

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]