Subject: Still insmod install problem

From: Stefan Voss <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 14:12:16 +0100

Hi folks,

I'm still having insmod crashing at the beginning of the install process.
I tried older kernels and root disks but older kernels don't recognize my
EtherH card and older root disks show the same error.

Can some kind soul send (or put online) an up-to-date *statically* linked
insmod binary? I'm going to copy the new binary over to one on the root
disk to see if that makes any difference.

Another question: Does installing from a "local hard disk" mean an ext2
file system or can an installation be done from an ADFS partition?

Regards,
   Stefan

-- 
Stefan Voss
([email-masked])

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 21:35:00 +0000 (GMT)

> EtherH card and older root disks show the same error.

Use the latest root disk - that binary will work.  If it doesn't, then none
of the others will.

> file system or can an installation be done from an ADFS partition?

It means a DOS/ADFS/ext2 filesystem, however, ADFS does have the limit of
77 filenames per directory.  (maybe someone could do something like add the
X-files to the linux adfs?  Or how about having a set of kerneld-loadable
modules aka RiscOS's Image Filing System?  I'm sure that it should be
possible (don't ask me to do it tho - I've got enough on at the moment).
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King        [email-masked]        --- ---
  | | | |    http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/home.html      /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 09:28:53 +0000 (GMT)

> possible (don't ask me to do it tho - I've got enough on at the moment).

I'd love to do some hacking to get linux adfs working with x-files (and 
LongFileNames too), but unfortunately I'm having huge problems compiling 
the kernel.  I can compile little programs like splitf/joinf, HelloWorld 
and even a fully working MUD, but I just can't get the kernel to work.  I 
do all the makeing correctly and all the installing, but when the kernel 
gets to the point where it reads the IDE discs the drive 'hda' times 
out.  I think it sends some dodgy messages to the IDE interface which 
causes it to fail, since when I reboot into RiscOS, it doesn't understand 
ADFS::4 anymore (it recognises it again after a reset).

The kernel options I configured were, AFAICR,
Extended IDE off
Old IDE on

I assume this is correct, since I'm using the original IDE interface 
supplied with the first (RiscOS 3.5) RiscPCs (the one that needs the 
daughter board for CDROMs).

I've been having a few other problems too.  Several binaries refuse to 
work.  The MUD I mentioned above, on exit, gives a nasty data abort-style 
error message, as does 'loadmap'.  Is this a StrongARM problem (I say 
this since Chris Johns also mentioned he had problems with some binaries 
crashing, and he has a StrongARM too)?  I've installed all the latest 
RPMs and nothing seems to fix this.

So, although I'd love to do loads of kernel hackery (esp. filesystems), I 
can't until I can compile my own kernels.  So can anyone help PLEASE?

Bye for now,
Phil

-- 
Phil Norman, mailing from Exeter Uni.
Programs available for download from my web page.
email:  [email-masked]
web:    http://newton.ex.ac.uk/general/ug/norman

---

From: Stefan Voss <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 11:17:02 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>,
    Russell King wrote:

> [...]

Under what name is an ADFS partition known in the Linux install program?
The boot messages show an ADFS partition as 'hda1' but the install program
only offers the Linux native partitions (hda3 - hda7) as place of the
installation files.

> [...]

Regards,
   Stefan

-- 
Stefan Voss
([email-masked])

---

From: Stefan Voss <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 10:50:14 +0100

> RPMs and nothing seems to fix this.

Just FYI my installation problem isn't a StrongARM problem. I just put my
old ARM 610 back in and got the same error (insmod crashing) as before.

Regards,
   Stefan

-- 
Stefan Voss
([email-masked])

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 13:42:19 +0000 (GMT)

> The kernel options I configured were, AFAICR,

This is incorrect.

> daughter board for CDROMs).

It's not a matter of age of system, it's age of driver.  The older one
is smaller, but less featureful.  It (apparently) does not work with
some systems.  Since almost everyone uses the new driver, I suspect that
is the one that Russell worked on porting.
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Richard Atterer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 14:50:00 +0100

In message <Pine.SGI.3.91.980115092105.4266A-100000@hebe>
          Phil Norman <[email-masked]> wrote:

> the kernel.

<plug> BTW: raFS supports long filenames, too! </plug>

I don't know anything about how Linux accesses RiscOS filing systems, but
raFS is no image filing system - it's a "normal" filing system just like
ADFS. Will this make things easier?

I'm an absolute Linux newbie (I don't even program in C;), so I don't know
whether this is of any relevance.

[snip rest]

Cheers,

  Richard

-- 
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer
  | \/¯|  http://home.augsburg.baynet.de/richard.atterer/          raFS V1.10
  ¯ ´` ¯
.. "Bother", said Pooh, as he saw "FileCore in use"

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 20:51:48 +0000 (GMT)

> ADFS. Will this make things easier?

Linux doesnt actually care. The Linux model of a filing system is basically
generic file operations at the top, a block device at the bottom. "Image"
file systems are handled by a device that takes a file as its bottom layer
and makes it a block device.

Alan