Subject: problem with installling over NFS (and ftp)

From: Stefan Voss <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 1998 12:20:57 +0100

Hi folks,

I hope this is the right place to post to. In the last few days I tried to
install ARMLinux. I decided to go with the NFS option using my Linux
laptop as NFS server. Downloading the software, partioning the IDE disk
(Quantum Fireball), creating the boot disks and booting with the boot
disks worked well. My hard disk and network card (I-Cubed EtherH) were
detected correctly.

I get the following error after specifying the IP address of the NFS
server and NFS directory:

Internal error: Oops: 0
CPU: 0
pc : [<c4017200>]
lr : [<c2049254>]
sp : c1460ec4  ip : c1460f1c  fp : c1460f18
r10: 00000000  r9 : 0001c000  r8 : 00018f80
r7 : 0000007a  r6 : c1601598  r5 : 00000000  r4 : c17f0be8
r3 : 00000001  r2 : c2049000  r1 : 00000006  r0 : c204ef6c
Flags: nZCv   IRQs on   FIQs on    Mode SVC_32
Process insmod (pid: 12, stackpage=c1460000)
Stack:
Backtrace:
Function entered at [<c2049244>] from [<c00198c8>]
Function entered at [<c0019628>] from [<c000d6be>]
Function entered at [<c000d5fc>] from [<c00d69c4>]
Code: pc not in code space

My configuration is:
Risc PC with SA110, 24 MB RAM, 2 MB VRAM, RISCOS 3.7, PowerTec SCSI card,
I-Cubed EtherH, Quantum Fireball 4.3 GB (1 GB RISCOS, 2 GB Linux, 1 GB
free)

The mounting is the last step that seems to work:

darkstar:/root # showmount -e
Export list for darkstar:
/opt       <anon clnt>
/home/voss <anon clnt>

darkstar:/root # showmount -a
All mount points on darkstar:
yoda.in-berlin.de:/home
yoda.in-berlin.de:/home/voss
yoda.in-berlin.de:/home/voss/RedHat
yoda.in-berlin.de:/home/voss/armlinux

"darkstar" is the Linux NFS server. "yoda" is the ARMLinux machine.
On the NFS server the RedHat directory looks like this:

voss@darkstar:/home/voss/RedHat > ls -l
total 11
drwxr-xr-x   2 voss     users        9216 Dec 21 09:22 RPMS
drwxr-xr-x   2 voss     users        1024 Dec 21 10:06 base
drwxr-xr-x   5 voss     users        1024 Dec 21 10:07 instimage

voss@darkstar:/home/voss/RedHat > ls -l instimage/usr/bin/insmod
-rwxr-xr-x   1 voss     users       16064 Dec 21 10:10 instimage/usr/bin/insmod

To me it seems as if "insmod" is producing a segmentation fault but I
don't know if "insmod" has been executed from the NFS directory or from
the boot disk.

I also tried installing using ftp. The installation stops just after an
sucessful ftp login. I can see this on my ftp server's log file. There's
no visible sign of a crash. It just stops with an open ftp session.

Any hints?

Regards,
   Stefan
   
-- 
Stefan Voss
([email-masked])

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 1998 15:25:51 +0000 (GMT)

> server and NFS directory:

You need to get the latest version of the insmod utilities (and installation
disks) off the FTP site.

PS.  The tell tail sign for this problem is the pc=0xc4........ with lr=0xc2........
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King        [email-masked]        --- ---
  | | | |    http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/home.html      /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Stefan Voss <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 1998 13:13:06 +0100

> You need to get the latest version of the insmod utilities (and installation

I'm a bit confused what insmod you are talking about. There's an insmod
binary in the instimage installation tree, on the root disk and on the
supplemental disk. I downloaded the insmod binary from the instimage
installation tree again but this was the same that I already had
(according to "diff" and "sum")

I also downloaded the root-rpc and supplemental disks again from
ftp.arm.uk.linux.org /pub/armlinux/distrib/RedHat/disks and used
!WriteDisk to re-create the boot disks.

The result however remains the same. I still get the error described
above. I also tried a 2.0.30 kernel instead of the latest 2.0.31 but the
install programs says that it doesn't know the EtherH device. The boot
messages however seem to indicate that the EtherH card is detected
correctly.

> PS.  The tell tail sign for this problem is the pc=0xc4........ with lr=0xc2........

Which of the insmod binaries is supposed to be executing at the time when
the error occurrs? I noticed that the insmod binaries are not the same.
If I mount the root disk on my Linux laptop (mount /dev/fd0 /mnt) I get:

voss@darkstar:/home/voss > ls -l /mnt/sbin/insmod
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       106432 Jun 29  1997 /mnt/sbin/insmod
                                                                        
If I mount the supplemental disk I get:

voss@darkstar:/home/voss > ls -l /mnt/usr/bin/insmod
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         9396 Jun 29  1997 /mnt/usr/bin/insmod
voss@darkstar:/home/voss > file /mnt/usr/bin/insmod
/mnt/usr/bin/insmod: gzip compressed data, deflated, last modified: Sun Jun 29 23:54:10 1997, max compression, os: Unix

And finally the binary from the instimage tree:

voss@darkstar:/home/voss > ls -l RedHat/instimage/usr/bin/insmod
-rwxr-xr-x   1 voss     users       16064 Dec 21 10:10 RedHat/instimage/usr/bin/insmod
voss@darkstar:/home/voss > file RedHat/instimage/usr/bin/insmod
RedHat/instimage/usr/bin/insmod: PDP-11 executable not stripped

Regards,
   Stefan

-- 
Stefan Voss
([email-masked])

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 21:55:02 +0000 (GMT)

> messages however seem to indicate that the EtherH card is detected

The boot messages are misleading.  These are merely the id strings out of
the podule ROMs.  It does *not* mean that the kernel recognises the card.
IIRC, i reported a problem to russell with the EtherLan500s which he then
fixed in 2.0.31.

The insmod binary that is contained in an RPM works.. but I dunno whether
that would work or not before the rest of the system is installed.
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]