Subject: Re: getting files to my acorn

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 10:26:48 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 30 Nov 1997, Garan Jenkin MSS wrote:

> 
> Phil,
> 
> Won't I have problems in that I will have no ADFS partition on the SCSI
> disc with the rpms on?   Aparrently that is a problem.  Why do the rpms
> need such long names? that makes things harder.  Can I use ext2fs?

Which OS do you want to get the RPM files onto?  RiscOS or linux?  If you 
want to install the RPMs from an ext2 partition, you will need to make 
the following tree on the disc:

RedHat/RPMS/<stick all the RPM files here>
RedHat/instimage
base
instimage

Note: base and instimage can be found on the armlinux ftp site.  If you'd 
rather download them as one big archive, download the 'guide to 
installing armlinux from the clan cd' from my web site (URL in the sig).  
Most of that archive is the instimage and base.

I don't know why the installer wants instimage in both root and RedHat/, 
but it doesn't work without it being present in both places.  There are 
ext2fs readers and writers on very many systems, including NT, DOS and 
probably Lose95 which you could use to create the structure.

RPM files don't actually need to have those ultra-descriptive names, 
since all the information on what they are is contained within the 
files; you could get away with naming the RPMs with just numbers if you 
wish.  The purpose of the names, AFAIK, is just so that you can see at a 
glance what the current version number is when the RPM is on the ftp site.

-- 
Phil Norman, mailing from Exeter Uni.
Programs available for download from my web page.
email:  [email-masked]
web:    http://newton.ex.ac.uk/general/ug/norman

---

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 10:26:48 +0000 (GMT)