Subject: binutils

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 1997 15:46:21 +0000

Hi.

As a belated Christmas present, I've made a patch against HJ's binutils 
2.8.1.0.18, which is (as usual) in the directory

	http://www.tazenda.demon.co.uk/phil/armlinux/

You can get binutils 2.8.1.0.18 itself from
	
	ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/packages/GCC/private/tofu

This does:

- Disable support for disassembling Thumb instructions to stop objdump dumping
core.

- Merge support for NetBSD/ARM and PIC code.

- Preliminary ELF support.  You can now configure and build the binutils, ld 
and gas for target `arm-elf' or `arm-linuxelf' (there is no difference).

Support for ELF is still rather sketchy.  In particular, PIC code doesn't work 
yet (the assembler knows how to generate the instructions but the BFD doesn't 
know how to generate the needed relocs).  PIC for a.out works though.

If anybody has too much time on their hands, there are a couple of things that 
need looking at, aside from the obvious one of implementing the missing ELF 
relocs:

- At the moment, there are two BFD source files for ARM a.out - arm-aout.c and 
aoutarm32.c.  The latter was written by the BSD people to add PIC support.  
These two really need to be merged back together.

- Disabling Thumb support in the disassembler is obviously not a good 
long-term solution, so someone ought to look at that bug too.

Enjoy.

p.

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]