Subject: EADFS and Linux, a temporary solution...

From: Sergio Monesi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 16:52:41 +0100

Hello,
I hope you read the email I sent here asking for some support for EADFS (I
didn't read any reply to it). I found a temporary solution that involves
swappping the RISC OS bootblock so that I can either access the EADFS
partitions or the Linux one but not both at the same time. This is not really
straightforward, if anybody is interested I can post the process I followed
to obtain it.

I am now trying to set up a DOS partition in order to swap files easily
between Linux and RISC OS. How do I configure the Linux partition table?
There is no 'fdisk' in my installation (admittely I haven't installed all the
RPMs nor I have the very latest versions) but the version supplied with the
RedHat installer disc doesn't seem to be able to write to the disc. !PartMan
can only create Linux native/swap partitions AFAIK.

I'm ready to hack the partition table manually but I don't know the 'magic
number' that marks a DOS partition (Linux swap seems to be 0xDEAFAB1E and
Linux native 0xDEAFA1DE), can anybody help me? Is there a checksum in the
partition table?

Thanks in advance,
Sergio

-- 
Sergio Monesi...         \ . . . \  Cracking RC5-64 with a StrongARM RiscPC
mailto:[email-masked]     \ . . . \  http://rc5.distributed.net/
http://bounce.to/sergio/   \ . . . \  Join the Wild Wereboar Team (#1308)!