Subject: ld running out of memory

From: Sergio Monesi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 17:46:02 +0100

I've been trying to compile lesstif (0.81) and then Mosaic but I encountered
a strange problem. ld seems to run out of memory even if there is definitely
enough swap space (if not physical memory). It reports the following error:

ld: Can not allocate 16386 bytes after allocating 12271616 bytes

I tried to check the 'ulimit' values but everything seems to be unlimited,
even setting them to some sensible values doesn't seem to help. Trying to
free more physical memory didn't help and the same problem (with the same
values) happened running two copies of 'ld' concurrently.

I managed to compile everything using --no-keep-memory (although I had to run
'ld' manually, using '-Wl,--no-keep-memory' in the 'gcc' options didn't seem
to work) but I'd still like to understand why ld doesn't seem to be able to
allocate more than 12Mb of memory. Any idea?

BTW: The lesstif library doesn't seem to work, Mosaic and even the test
programs doesn't work (something to do with XmDropSiteManager), does anybody
managed to compile it? 

Regards,
Sergio

-- 
Sergio Monesi...         \ . . . \  Cracking RC5-64 with a StrongARM RiscPC
mailto:[email-masked]     \ . . . \  http://rc5.distributed.net/
http://bounce.to/sergio/   \ . . . \  Join the Wild Wereboar Team (#1308)!

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 21:12:15 +0000

>ld: Can not allocate 16386 bytes after allocating 12271616 bytes

What version of ld are you using?  I think old versions of BFD had a bug that 
could cause this sort of effect sometimes, though I've never seen it manifest 
in quite that way.

If you strace ld as it runs, you may be able to get a better idea of why it 
fails.

p.