Subject: G++ Standard Libs?

From: [email-masked] (Tom Palmer)
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 10:12:08 GMT

Hi,

  I'm in the middle of trying to compile KDE which is written in c++, but I
don't seem to have any of the standard libs (such as libg++.a). I went back to
the ftp site and reinstalled some of the packages (such as gcc-c++..) just in
case they didn't install properly. No such luck.

  As I understand it these libs are standard with the gcc distribution and some
parts are architecture dependant. Where can I find these for Arm-linux?

  BTW: To get KDE working I had to compile Qt. Everything went fine when I made
it as a static library. The problem arose when I tried to make a shared library.
 The only main difference in compiler flags was -fPIC (which is to do with the
standard c lib, right?). GCC would convert everything to assembler code and the
drop out when it tried to compile the assembler code. Any ideas why?

  Thanks in advance,

  Tom Palmer, 
  Webmaster, The Netherhall School,
  Cambridge,
  United Kingdom
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 13:08:59 +0000 (GMT)

> case they didn't install properly. No such luck.

libg++/libstdc is part of the libc5/glibc stuff that the ARM kit still lakcs

> 
>   BTW: To get KDE working I had to compile Qt. Everything went fine when I > it as a static library. The problem arose when I tried to make a shared library.

You need ELF support for -fPIC to work out. To build Qt shared on the ARM
you'll need to build it without -fPIC as an a.out shared library image which
is fairly painful, incredibly painful in fact
unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [email-masked]

---

From: "Neil A. Carson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 13:48:28 +0000

> drop out when it tried to compile the assembler code. Any ideas why?

ARM Linux at the moment uses fixed address shared libraries, so I don't
believe that the -fPIC should be necessary. There should either be a
file with the package detailing the address for the libraries, or you
can get one from Russel (assuming he's keeping track of these things).

Building it shared is well worth doing---I built the lot for 'BSD and
found that executables tended to be tiny when shared, and stupidly large
when not (ie a big contrast). Do the demos with the QT library work?

	Cheers,

	Neil