Subject: Re: ????strongArm

From: Daniel Shimmin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 18:26:19 +0000

> But things are not necessarily that bleak for StrongARM.
> For a start my understanding is that if Intel packed up
> StrongARM it would be possible (due to the way they own bits
> of the rights etc and the fact that there are other people with
> appropriate IC processes) for ARM to have StrongARM produced.

It seems so.

My understanding of the situation is that the SA-1 technology  
(i.e. the core itself, as opposed to any processors based around  
it) is owned by ARM, and therefore they could quite happily wander  
off with another semiconductor partner and make another processor  
based around it, if the SA-110 and SA-1100 were not to be  
developed as people might like.  After all, Digital/Intel aren't  
the only ARM partners who have 0.35 micron production facilities  
(and getting smaller).

Of course, if ARM continue to be happy with the way the various SA  
derivatives develop, there would be no reason for them to do  
that...

I've no idea what the present position is wrt the processors  
currently based around the SA-1 core (these are jointly owned by  
ARM).

dgs
(Personal opinions only).