Subject: getting files to my acorn

From: Garan Jenkin MSS <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 04:00:31 -0800 (PST)

Hi

I have the following :
My mac running macos and MacBSD in one location on a PC network
My Acorn in a different location

Both Mac and Acorn have Scsi, but not the PCs and I have an external disc.

I have all the RPMS files downloaded onto a NT PC, which can easily be
transferred onto the mac and then onto scsi disc.  Question is : what
format should I format the SCSI disc in?  Mac? DOS? UFS?  What will be
readable by the Acorn and preserve the long filenames?

any help appreciated.

Garan

---

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 14:54:11 +0000 (GMT)

> readable by the Acorn and preserve the long filenames?

Probably the easiest way is to format the drive using BSD and use the 
'unixfs' filing system the RiscBSD team have written on your Acorn.

I'm not sure exactly where to find unixfs, but the BSD home page is at 
http://www.causality.com/riscbsd/index.html if that helps.

See ya,
Phil

-- 
Phil Norman, mailing from Exeter Uni.
Programs available for download from my web page.
email:  [email-masked]
web:    http://newton.ex.ac.uk/general/ug/norman

---

From: Garan Jenkin MSS <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 10:12:09 -0800 (PST)

Phil,

Won't I have problems in that I will have no ADFS partition on the SCSI
disc with the rpms on?   Aparrently that is a problem.  Why do the rpms
need such long names? that makes things harder.  Can I use ext2fs?

bye

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 21:10:00 +0000 (GMT)

> readable by the Acorn and preserve the long filenames?

Well, I haven't tried it myself, but...  Linux comes with the optional
smbfs filesystem.  This should allow you to mount the NT share as a
filesystem.  Unfortunately, I guess you'd need smbmount in order to do
this, so that probably wouldn't work.  Might be worth looking into though.
I'm willing to compile up the goodies & send them to you if you fancy
exploring this possibility.  I can't test it myself since I have no
`doze machines on my network.

Alternatively, if you format the disc as ufs, the Linux kernel can handle
this as a mountable filesystem.  However, it's optional, so you will
need a different kernel.  Again, I'm willing to compile a specialised
kernel for you.