Subject: libc

From: "S. Richard Grint" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 09:20:04 +0000 (GMT)

Does anyone know where exactly I can get a copy of arm libc, so that I 
can cross-compile arm linux kernels under PC-linux?  I think that`s what 
I need since when I try to compile gcc, it says include files such as 
stdio.h are not present.

Rich

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 10:04:11 +0000

In message <[email-masked]>, "S. Richard Grint" writ
>I need since when I try to compile gcc, it says include files such as 

GCC needs the C library to be installed to build ObjectiveC (and maybe C++), 
but luckily not the vanilla gcc (otherwise you'd have a bit of a bootstrap 
problem).

If you say `make LANGUAGES="c"' when building gcc, it should build _only_ the 
C compiler itself (which doesn't rely on libc).  Then you can install it and 
use it to compile the libc if you so desire - you don't actually need libc 
installed to build kernels, though.

p.

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 13:43:46 +0000 (GMT)

> installed to build kernels, though.

If I remember correctly, you also need --no-libc or something of the sort.
But you can get the armlinux libc headers by getting 
arm-aout-libs-devel-4.6.27-1a6.arm.rpm

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 13:51:42 +0000

>If I remember correctly, you also need --no-libc or something of the sort.

Possibly.  I don't remember that being the case, but you might be
right.

Gcc 2.8 _will_ need the kernel headers installed to build libgcc1, but
as far as I know those are the only ones necessary.  2.7 doesn't even
need those; its libgcc1 is self contained.

p.