Subject: ARM Linux and IDEFS - latest news

From: [email-masked] (John Lagrue)
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 02:08:48 +0000 (GMT)

Russell;

Well, I do seem to be getting somewhere :-)

The latest kernel certainly picks up all the partitions on the IDEFS
system. The
partition check shows hdd1, hdd2, hdd3 and hdd4.

When I mknod the devices I can mount an adfs partition and, after
having created
an ext2 partition on one of the IDEFS partitions further up the disc, I
can
mount that in the alternate shell on tty2 (ALT-F2). Having created a
large Unix
tar file (using Frank Lancaster's tar port) from the Clan CD X-file I
can then
copy the RPMs from the tar file on the adfs partition to the ext2
partition.

However, at this point it all seems to break down.

Going back into the RedHat Installer leaves me with only hdd and hdc as
the
discs that I can select for anything. It complains that I haven't
created a swap
partition - which of course I haven't because I don't know of any way
of
creating one until a new version of Partman appears.

If I decide to ignore this and carry on anyhow, when I get to the point
of
finding the installation files it decides to go off and reboot the
system. At
which point the installation screen shows "Rebooting system", but
nothing
further happens. The shell is still working on ALT-F2, but nothing
works from
the installer.

Any ideas?

All help gratefully accepted :-)

As an incentive, I must point out that my first aim when I finally get
this
system to run is to get the GIMP installed and running on it :-)

JDL

P.S. You seem to be quite correct about the behaviour of IDEFS with a
non-filecore partition. I get a single disc access about once a second
within
RiscOS.

-- 
John Lagrue

---

From: "Neil A. Carson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 23:11:56 +0000

> system to run is to get the GIMP installed and running on it :-)

You may want to look at soft-float before that, otherwise it might be
too slow...

	N.

-- 
Neil A. Carson                     Business development and marketing
E-mail: [email-masked]         Causality Limited (London, UK)
Web: http://www.causality.com.     Office tel/fax: +44 (0)181 930 7408
Sent from a 233MHz StrongARM N|C!  Mobile: +44 (0)370 593183
SA110+1100, 21285/PCI, ARM, RTOSs, NetBSD, 3D, Image Processing, NC OSs