Subject: Things don't look rosey for the StrongARM

From: Mark Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 14:45:47 +0000

hello all,

Well I've just skimmed through the 26th November issue of PC Dealer 
and there is a little article about the StrongARM chip.

It seems the Intel don't know what to do with it as it doesn't fit in 
with the x.86 platform and they can't afford to support an 
additional architecture.
They are in negotiations with Digital and ARM to discuss it's 
future.

Bummer!

Mark
[email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 22:09:58 +0000 (GMT)

> They are in negotiations with Digital and ARM to discuss it's 

But isn't that what Intel wanted DECs design teams for?  If not, then
why did Intel appropriate them?  Maybe to stifle the opposition?  I think
we'll just have to wait and see what happens...
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King        [email-masked]        --- ---
  | | | |    http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/home.html      /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Mark Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 10:37:42 +0000

> we'll just have to wait and see what happens...

I wouldn't be at all suprised that future generations of Intel chips 
would have a RISC core not too dissimilar from a StrongARM ... but 
then again it wouldn't be the first time that a good idea has been 
bought up and binned.

Mark.