Subject: Troubles compiling kernel

From: Jan Magnussen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 09:33:26 +0100

Hi there.

I downloaded the new patch for 2.0.31 and the source.
I did a make xconfig followed by a make config
But when I compile then about after about 40 minutes of compiling i got
the following errors:
arch/arm/mm/mm.o(.text+0x9a4): undefined reference to `sound_init'
arch/arm/mm/mm.o(.text+0x9a4): relocation truncated to fit: ARM26
sound_init
make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

I didn't get these errors with the 2.0.31pre9 kernel
What could be wrong?
PS: I enabled all sound options in xconfig.

Regards,

Jan Magnussen
http://www.kom.auc.dk/~janm
Fidonet 2:234/181.8

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 21:55:22 +0000 (GMT)

> make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

Just remove the reference to sound_init in arch/arm/mm/mm.c.  There
should be no need to recompile everything.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King        [email-masked]        --- ---
  | | | |    http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/home.html      /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Jan Magnussen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 23:55:34 +0100 (GMT)

> should be no need to recompile everything.

There is no such file. According to the Makefile in the arch/arm/mm directory
the mm.o file is the ending file after compiling all other files in that
directory, and then linking them together.
I turned off sound support, and it compiled ok.
But another thing came up:
  2: [003C:00AE] IDE Interface
icside: unknown ICS interface id=14
** Warning: ICS IDE Interface unrecognised! **

This also happened with the newest precompiled kernel at the ftp site.
But the sligthly older kernel worked fine (but had no vfat-support).

What could be wrong?

Regards,

Jan Magnussen
Fidonet : 2:234/181.8

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 09:42:25 +0000 (GMT)

> directory, and then linking them together.

Sorry, arch/arm/mm/init.c

> But the sligthly older kernel worked fine (but had no vfat-support).

The ICS IDE interfaces come on various different forms, and depending
on which PCB version you have and the type depends on how you access it.
Eg, if you have a V5 PCB, you access it in MEMC space.  With a V6 PCB,
you access it in podule space.  If you try to access a V6 PCB as a V5
PCB, then your machine will require a physical reset to get it going
again.

So, the ICS IDE interfaces have a ident associated with them.  However
the ident that you're finding is not correct for the type of boards that
I know about.

Can you let me know what type, and version PCB your interface is?
Meanwhile, I'll try to get some more info...
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King        [email-masked]        --- ---
  | | | |    http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/home.html      /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |