Subject: I can't even create a partition!

From: Stephen Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 1997 19:18:09 +0100

I am almost in the process of trying to install ARMLinux (I don't think I've got
far enough yet) but I can't create a Linux partition on my SCSI HD!  I am using
a Cumana SCSI2 card on a SARPC.  I have been unable to use PartMan to partition
the drive and I don't have a way of generating partition files.

If anyone can suggest a way of overcoming this, please respond!  Is the Cumana
SCSI2 card incompatible?  It can't be anything else.

If the problem is insoluble, I'll just have to use RiscBSD.  I actually
installed part of that (albeit on a PD cartridge- ARGH!) so I know it works!

-- 
 x^      ( )      _________         //     Email:  mailto:[email-masked]
<       U O      |_|_|_|_|_|    O  ||       WWW:   http://www.crok.demon.co.uk
 \,     |/|\      _________       [  ]             Piloting Megara Ship #2
     .  |/^\  .       2       .   /__\
... File not found. I'll load something *I* think is interesting.

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 17:54:47 +0000 (GMT)

> I am almost in the process of trying to install ARMLinux (I don't
> think I've got far enough yet) but I can't create a Linux partition on
> my SCSI HD!  I am using a Cumana SCSI2 card on a SARPC.  I have been
> unable to use PartMan to partition the drive and I don't have a way of
> generating partition files.

In what way does PartMan go wrong?  You /did/ remember to reformat your
hard disc with fewer cylinders, didn't you?

---

From: Stephen Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 20:35:28 +0100

In message <[email-masked]> you wrote:

> In what way does PartMan go wrong?

It says tat there is Filecore partition, but won't change it.  If I remove the
filecore partition, there isn't a disc there any more!

> You /did/ remember to reformat your hard disc with fewer cylinders, didn't
> you?

How?

-- 
 x^      ( )      _________         //     Email:  mailto:[email-masked]
<       U O      |_|_|_|_|_|    O  ||       WWW:   http://www.crok.demon.co.uk
 \,     |/|\      _________       [  ]             Piloting Megara Ship #2
     .  |/^\  .       2       .   /__\
... If you know, you're a genius. If you answer, you're awesome.

---

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 10:39:51 +0000 (GMT)

> the drive and I don't have a way of generating partition files.

I've had the same problem with different sized IDE discs.  Try using 
different version of PartMan (there are loads of them on the ftp site 
AFAICR).  Bizarre as it is, different ones seem to work with different 
drives.

> installed part of that (albeit on a PD cartridge- ARGH!) so I know it works!

No!  Don't do it!  You'll never forgive yourself! ;-)

Hope this is helpful,
Phil

-- 

=============================================
= Phil Norman  -  [email-masked] =
= http://newton.ex.ac.uk/general/ug/norman  =
=    Acorn fanatic and physics student      =
=============================================

---

From: Stephen Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 1997 08:15:29 +0100

In message <[email-masked]> you wrote:

> umm.  What exactly do you think PartMan actually does?

It SHOULD allow me to change the partitions on my HD.

> With Hform.  Just like with RiscBSD.  You have got the INSTALL instructions,
> haven't you?

HForm doesn't WORK with SCSI!

-- 
 x^      ( )      _________         //     Email:  mailto:[email-masked]
<       U O      |_|_|_|_|_|    O  ||       WWW:   http://www.crok.demon.co.uk
 \,     |/|\      _________       [  ]             Piloting Megara Ship #2
     .  |/^\  .       2       .   /__\
... Our Standard: Exellence; Our Goal: Perfection; Reality: Murphy.

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 02:56:53 +0000 (GMT)

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 15:48:36 +0000 (GMT)

> It SHOULD allow me to change the partitions on my HD.

Incorrect.  It manages the non-filecore partitions on your HD.

> HForm doesn't WORK with SCSI!

Then the moral equivalent suitable for your SCSI controller.  It's probably
called SCSIForm, or similar.

---

From: Webmaster <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 17:10:47 +0000 (GMT)

> called SCSIForm, or similar.

What is it I need for an Acorn SCSI card?

bye  bye.

Garan

---

From: Dickon Hood <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 1997 18:15:10 +0000

In message <[email-masked]> you wrote:

: > > > > You /did/ remember to reformat your hard disc with fewer cylinders,
: > > > > didn't you?

: > > > How?

: > > With Hform.  Just like with RiscBSD.  You have got the INSTALL
: > > instructions, haven't you?

: > HForm doesn't WORK with SCSI!

: Then the moral equivalent suitable for your SCSI controller.  It's probably
: called SCSIForm, or similar.

Anyway, it *can* be made to work; often a simple search and replace in Zap
for 'ADFS' replace with 'SCSI' or 'SCSIFS' depending upon your card, usually
does the trick IME.

Don't do this if you're at all faint hearted ;-)

-- 
Dickon Hood

I've now managed to find my .signature file, normal service
will be resumed when Connex South Central get their act together.
We apologise for the inconvenience in the mean time.

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 1997 15:38:26 +0000

>HForm doesn't WORK with SCSI!

How about scsidm?

p.