Subject: /usr/bin/mkimage

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 14:15:51 +0000 (GMT)

I've never compiled stuff with libc4 before, so some of this is deduction,
but..

I downloaded e2fsutils-1.10 to replace the 1.04 that comes with the system.
I configured it with --enable-dllshlibs.  Is this correct?  The alternatives
are elfshlibs (obviously a bad idea) and noshlibs (which is a bit of a cop-
out).  During the make, while trying to link libet (I think), it tries to
execute /usr/bin/mkimage which does not exist on my system.

Have I simply failed to install it?  If so, which RPM is it in?  I installed
the binutils & gcc & development packages (else I wouldn't've got this far)
Or is it not available in an RPM, in which case where do I get it from?

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 20:32:50 +0000 (GMT)

> execute /usr/bin/mkimage which does not exist on my system.

Well, when I compiled it, I used the cop-out method (a.out library space is
fixed, and the available slots were getting low on 26-bit machines).  When
we go ELF, then it should be possible to use shared libs for everything
like this.  [I wish we could go ELF now actually].
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King        [email-masked]        --- ---
  | | | |    http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/home.html      /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |