Subject: Demand for ARM Linux on CD

From: Stephen Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 22:06:13 +0000

How much demand would there be for a version of ARMLinux on CD for, say,
around £25 ?

Stephen
--
Stephen Jones
2 Elveden Close, Lower Earley, Reading, Berks, RG6 3AX
Tel: +44 118 966 4129          Mobile: +44 958 259530

---

From: Stephen Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 21:13:47 +0000

At 01:14 11/11/97 +0000, you wrote:
>Erm, I'd prefer to pay less... In fact, I could get one blown here for
>10ukp. 
>
>

You can burn them for a lot less than this. The 25 quid is what the RiscBSD
team seem to be charging and if I was to convince my MD to do it as a
service then he'd be looking for a return. If there is only a small demand,
I can blow them in my spare time at home and the cost will be a lot less.
However, the disadvantage of doing it this way is I can't guarantee turn
around times as I can't guarantee when I'll have free time - at work, we'd
set up an armlinux mirror and burn the CDs on demand - 1 or 2 days turn
around max.

If there is a big demand, I can get a thousand blown in one go, but somehow
I doubt that there's THAT much demand!

Stephen

PS How much of this list gets lost by people just replying to messages and
not cc:ing vger?

---

From: Richard Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 11:48:59 +0000 (GMT)

As I mentioned in a post a few days ago, I am more than happy to burn CDs
for people if I can get hold of the original image.  If someone puts it on
the FTP site (or indeed ANY FTP site) then I will download it.
Alternatively, if someone gets it to me on practically any media at all
(even 100 odd floppies!!!!) and supplies a suitable password then I will
upload it to a suitable FTP site.

In either case I will burn copies for people for 5 pounds (including
postage and packing).  Please don't look on this as a price war, I just
want the maximum number of people to have access to the fruits of
Russell's labours.  Obviously, since I shall be doing this in my spare
time I shall only be able to burn 3 or 4 each day, but if people supply an
email address with their orders then I will email them to confirm receipt
and tell them when it is being dispatched.  Obviously I will not cash
cheques until the CD is ready to go.  I may well also add as many RedHat
SRPMs as I can fit so that folks can try compiling other packages. 

Unfortunately, all of this public spirited effort relies on me getting
access to a suitable image.  I could try to build something from the
current contents of the FTP site, but I understand that Russell has built
a proper image (which presumably avoids all of the farting around with
kernels at the end of the install procedure) and I suspect that folks
would prefer to have that.

Richard Simpson
Farnborough, Hants, Uk                 Fax: 01252 392118
[email-masked]

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 12:23:04 +0000 (GMT)

> Russell's labours.  Obviously, since I shall be doing this in my spare

Can I make a suggestion. Charge 10-15 so you can cover your own back or
you'll get burned, and send the left over change to Russell as a gift. 

Alan

---

From: Dave Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 16:56:16 +0000

> you'll get burned, and send the left over change to Russell as a gift.

I'd be happy to spend 10-15 for a disc with all the source on - now that
my nice fast net connection has gone :-)

Dave
-- 
---------------------------------------------------- Man can not live  -
 David Alan Gilbert - gro.gilbert @ treblig.org ---- by bread alone. He 
---------------------------------------------------- needs chocolate.  -