Subject: Other troubles compiling the kernel

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 10:34:47 +0000 (GMT)

Hmmm... recurring theme this ;-)

Here's a problem for you:

I've got hold of the kernel source (2/0/31 AFAICR) and the latest patch
(as of about a week ago) and I've tried compiling the thing.  I did make
config, make clean ; make depend , just as it said, and then make all. 
After a bit of compiling, it bailed out with this error: 

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -m6 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strength-reduce -pipe  -c -o exec.o exec.c
exec.c:279: conflicting types for `setup_arg_pages'
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/binfmts.h:58: previous declaration of `setup_arg_pages'
exec.c: In function `setup_arg_pages':
exec.c:323: warning: assignment makes integer from pointer without a cast
make[2]: *** [exec.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/fs'
make[1]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/fs'
make: *** [linuxsubdirs] Error 2

I then tried removing a few options in make config, tried again and the
same thing.  It also failed to work when I just configured a fairly 'bare
bones' setup.  I've no idea where else this function is being defined
(though it is declared as 'extern' in several files, including one header
file exec.c includes itself), and I'm afraid I'm at a loss as to how to
fix it.  Any ideas? 

Thanks very much in advance,
Phil

-- 
Phil Norman, mailing from Exeter Uni.
Programs available for download from my web page.
email:  [email-masked]
web:    http://newton.ex.ac.uk/general/ug/norman

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 22:00:29 +0000 (GMT)

> make[2]: *** [exec.o] Error 1

It looks like one of the patches failed for include/linux/binfmts.h.  After
applying the patch, check to see if there are any *.rej files in the tree.
If there are, I suggest that you get a clean 2.0.31 source tree and try again.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King        [email-masked]        --- ---
  | | | |    http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/home.html      /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |