Subject: compiling kernel

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 14:49:30 +0000 (GMT)

I applied Friday's patch, everything patched nicely, thanks Russell.

make config, fine.  make dep, fine.  When I tried to make zImage,
the first file I compiled coughed up an error from the assembler.
The problem is that I've switched to binutils-2.8.1.0.15 which doesn't
understand -msa110.  I removed this from the GCC specs file and everything
went fine.  This is something Russell & Phil need to argue about, I think.

So now I have a zImage in /usr/src/linux/arch/arm/boot/.  I rename /vmlinuz
as /vmlinuz.old and copy zImage to /vmlinuz.  Reboot.  But I still get the
old kernel.  Why?  [On a peecee, I'd rerun lilo, but... ;-)]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 17:03:45 +0000

>went fine.  This is something Russell & Phil need to argue about, I think.

I hope that the gcc 2.8 snapshots have the right specs in them.  I'm compiling 
with -mcpu=strongarm110 (though not for Linux) using that binutils and a new 
gcc and I don't have any problems.

Get the snapshot at vger.rutgers.edu:/pub/gcc and see if it helps.

p.

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 17:44:26 +0000 (GMT)

> went fine.  This is something Russell & Phil need to argue about, I think.

This is a patch that I made to the binutils after the StrongARM came out -
basically to allow the half-word loading/storing for the EBSA110 board, which
is absolutely necessary to be able to drive some of the hardware properly!

> old kernel.  Why?  [On a peecee, I'd rerun lilo, but... ;-)]

You have to re-run loadmap, because the only sensible way to access the kernel
given all the different formats that a partition can have is to use some sort
of sector mappings.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King        [email-masked]        --- ---
  | | | |    http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/home.html      /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |