Subject: more kernel buglets

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 02:46:21 +0000 (GMT)

Both of these have occurred during the boot, they've not shown up while
the installer's been running.

Twice, I've had an unending stream of messages:

`Wild Interrupt from backplane?'

And once while it was loading the root fs, I got

`floppy 0: timeout handler died'

but it then recovered, as far as I can tell.

The red hat installer still complains in the last step about not being
able to find the kernel, but I've found the solution in my mailing list
archives (thanks Ale & Deborah) so I'm going to try it now.

By the way, if anyone else has had their RPMs go through a torturous route
& end up as 10-character names on a FTP server that won't auto-truncate
for you, I have a script that will rename them all for you..

Matthew.

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 22:17:29 +0000 (GMT)

> `Wild Interrupt from backplane?'

This is normally caused by a card causing an interrupt while none are
supposed to be enabled.  It sounds like someone's driver module isn't
responding to the SERVICE_PRERESET module call.  What expansion cards
do you have installed?  (Yes, it may be a case of removing each card
that isn't directly supported to find the culprit...

> `floppy 0: timeout handler died'

Those appear to happen randomly, but are harmless  I blame the floppy
code, but it is something that needs to be looked into at some stage.

BTW, the solution to the missing kernel is actually on the FAQ. ;)
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King        [email-masked]        --- ---
  | | | |    http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/home.html      /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 22:17:29 +0000 (GMT)