Subject: Re: ARM debian distribution (fwd)

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 16:46:34 +0000 (GMT)

Following a chat with Russell at the show, it seems to be a good idea to
get integrated with one of the big Linux distributors.  Red Hat are
unwilling to integrate a non-ELF based distribution, but as you can see
from the message below, Debian don't see a.out as a problem.  Is anyone
else interested in lending a hand building packages?  I'm going to install
Debian on the PC I'm buying at the weekend, so I'll hopefully be able to
suss the debian packaging fairly quickly.  There's docs on it available
from their website - http://www.debian.com/ - if you're interested.

By the way, Russell, you're absolutely right, if I boot off hard disc,
there's no problem with the IRQs.  I'm just waiting for my hard drive to
zip up so I can repartition it.

Forwarded message:
> From [email-masked]  Tue Nov  4 02:02:55 1997
> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 3 Nov 97 18:02 PST
> From: [email-masked] (Bruce Perens)
> To: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re:  ARM debian distribution
> Reply-To: Bruce Perens <[email-masked]>
> 
> Matt,
> 
> If you want to build it, go ahead! You can also have a Debian mailing
> list, FTP space, and web space. You can solicit for volunteers but on the
> lists, but other than that I can't offer you much help other than hosting
> services.
> 
> 	Thanks
> 
> 	Bruce
> -- 
> Can you get your operating system fixed when you need it?
> Linux - the supportable operating system. http://www.debian.org/support.html
> Bruce Perens K6BP   [email-masked]   NEW PHONE NUMBER: 510-620-3502
>

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 1997 10:05:54 +0000

>from the message below, Debian don't see a.out as a problem.  Is anyone

That's true.  I had a brief discussion with Bruce about this sometime last 
year.  The idea foundered for lack of time on my part but other than that 
nobody seemed to object.

I'm also about to start looking at merging some of the kernel source with 2.1 
unless anybody has a major objection to that.

p.

---

From: Olof Backing <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 1997 14:37:48 +0100

>unless anybody has a major objection to that.

Ahh, the group of 2.1-ers are growing... No, I have no objections since I'm
right in the middle of that. And with the GCC as well.

/Olof

Olof Backing     Net Insight AB              Phone: +46-8 449 22 36
                 Ingenjörsvägen 3, 2tr       Fax:   +46-8 449 22 40
                 S-117 43 Stockholm          mailto:[email-masked]
                 Sweden                      http://www.netinsight.se

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 1997 13:50:42 +0000

>right in the middle of that. And with the GCC as well.

Good.  I'll start putting it into the CVS tree on vger as and when I have 
time.  If you'd like the work you've done merged then feel free to send it to 
me.

p.

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 1997 10:05:54 +0000

p.

---

From: Olof Backing <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 1997 14:37:48 +0100

/Olof

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 1997 13:50:42 +0000

p.

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 20:11:36 +0000 (GMT)

> unless anybody has a major objection to that.

Only that I have the 2.1.16 source tree with ARM extensions already in it,
but nothing to compile it up with yet...  (Hint Phil).
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King        [email-masked]        --- ---
  | | | |    http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/home.html      /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 21:15:03 +0000 (GMT)

> time.  If you'd like the work you've done merged then feel free to send it to 

Is one reply good enough to qualify starting???  Does a one person reply really
consitute a survey of the list???
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King        [email-masked]        --- ---
  | | | |    http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/home.html      /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 1997 09:00:42 +0000

>Only that I have the 2.1.16 source tree with ARM extensions already in it,

Is that a typo?

p.

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 1997 02:32:31 +0000 (GMT)

> consitute a survey of the list???

Merging the ARM tree with the 2.1.x CVS tree is the right thing to do either
way. Russell - if you want cvs access to the 2.1.x tree to do it then I'll
do the introductions

Phil - don't start merging arm stuff without talking to DaveM or he'll chew
your head off

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 1997 17:44:22 +0000 (GMT)

> from the message below, Debian don't see a.out as a problem.  Is anyone

It will very likely become one. A lot of stuff including glibc 2 isnt going
to work terribly well withoyt ELF, so you might as well bite the bullet
and go ELF (whatever distribution you build). That means Phil and the
others working on binutils/gcc/gdb need to do the relevant magic

Its probably also best if the main point for distribution and 2.1.x kernel
merging isnt someone on a dialup. 

Alan

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 1997 19:26:31 +0000

>Phil - don't start merging arm stuff without talking to DaveM or he'll chew

Dave and I already spoke about it (a few weeks ago), and he's happy.

p.

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 1997 19:31:21 +0000

>others working on binutils/gcc/gdb need to do the relevant magic

Yes.  I need to talk to Olof and find out how he's getting on.  Most of my GCC 
work at the moment has been on getting 2.8 debugged, particularly for ARM
(linux and netbsd) rather than new features.

p.