Subject: Again:Prob with install

From: [email-masked] (Thomas Marx)
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 10:42:48 +0100 (MET)

Hi!
I just reached the point where I reboot Linux with extra arg root=...

The kernel decopressed and went to the messages :

partition checked
hda : [adfs] hda1 [linux] hda2 <hda3 hda4 hda5 hda6>
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.

and then the disc seeked for a part of a second and then nothing. I could type i
n something,
no other terminal, mothing.
Wheres the problem now?

Thanx in advance, Tom

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 21:18:49 +0000 (GMT)

Thomas Marx writes:
> Partition Check:
>   hda : [ADFS] hda1 [LINUX] hda2 <hda3 hda4 hda5 hda6>
> and then the disc seeked for a part of a second and then nothing. I could type
> in something, no other terminal, mothing.

I have seen this after running Publisher or Impression on the A5000, and I've heard
about this happening on the PC as well.  That means that it's not specific to the ARM
port, but is located elsewhere.  I'm not sure, but by the sounds of it, it happens on
PCs as well.  You could try using the good old 'fx200 3', rebooting and trying again..
Let me know what happens!
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King        [email-masked]        --- ---
  | | | |    http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/home.html      /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: "A.S.MCGough" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 18:37:16 +0000 (GMT)

Relpy-To: [email-masked]

As it's taking so long to get a booter for riscos 2 I have placed a set of
riscos 3 roms into an r260 in an attempt to get things going. But alas all
fails.

To start with all I want to do is try and boot a kernel - to test if
things are working, I've placed the r260 kernel from Dave Gilbert's ftp
site onto the r260 along with the latest version of the boot-loader (v.
3.20). I then issue the command:

scsi::4.$.!Linux -bootkernel scsi::4.$.r260

this then prompts me to press space, then select kernel (option2). Then a
request for extra parameters is given, to which I then press return. The
hard-disc is then accessed and then the computer freezes out and only a
full reset will do anything. I've tried all obvious avenues - making shure
files are transfered as binaries and uncompressing files - but thus far
nothing seems to change things. 

As a second point I've tried the same thing on my riscPC which manages to
de-compress the kernel and get as far as probing the cdrom drive.

steve..