Subject: Mailstrip dead but not yet buried? (Was Re: Death to mailstrip)

From: Daniel Shimmin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 15:21:49 +0000

This from the author of "Mailstrip", in case anyone concerned  
hasn't already received a copy:

> Hi,
>   Thank you for your email.
>
> As a result of this, plus talks to several ISP's (including my
> own) I have pulled !MailStrip off of my website and posted a
> request to the appropriate newsgroup for users to desist from
> using it.  I will also be asking my ISP to perform a mailshot
> to the same effect.
>
> The problem appears to be that a rogue version (2.40 ISTR) can
> acknowledge emails to the wrong person.  Although this was
> discovered quite quickly and fixed it would appear that several
> people are still using this version.
>
> Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience
> caused.
>
> Mike

This doubtless means that Alan and Russell (and others including  
myself) have succeeded in "waking up" one or more of the ISPs  
involved, as well as alerting Mike himself to the seriousness of  
the problem.

However persuading the rogue Argonet user(s) to stop using  
Mailstrip 2.40 (or Argonet/Pipex/UUnet to force them to stop)
may take a little longer; as, no doubt, will persuading  
"[email-masked]" to stop sending warning messages at  
us...

You can phone Argonet support free in the UK on 0500 595 596 ;  
I'll probably give them a call this afternoon to see how things  
are going (they've ignored my e-mails so far, even if Mike  
didn't).

D.

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 15:31:45 +0000 (GMT)

> hasn't already received a copy:

Yep - he actually phoned me. More than I can say for the pipex folks.
The feedback I have so far from prodding other bits of pipex  is basically
"Oh dear, not my department, dont care , fuck off"

> are going (they've ignored my e-mails so far, even if Mike  

This looks like a rogue argonet luser who has moved to being pipex staff.
If this doesnt cure it we can just zap the subscription list and home
the idiot involved doesnt resubscribe.