Subject: gcc

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 08:45:24 -0500 (EST)

People who have been having trouble with gcc 2.7.2 recently, particularly
to do with it fighting with the new binutils, might like to give this
version a go.  I'd like to hear reports of how it works for arm-linuxaout
configurations.

p.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 08:42:04 -0500 (EST)
From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: ss-971128 is available

ss-971128 is now available in vger.rutgers.edu:/pub/gcc

This snapshot was "sanity checked" by doing a "make bootstrap/compare" on
target i586-pc-linux-gnulibc1 (-O and -O2).

Patches to generated files (eg: c-parse.c, *.info*) may not apply properly
if you have regenerated those files since the last snapshot.  If you get
errors while patching such files, ignore them and regenerate the files.

Snapshots are for developers and testers and should not be distributed
to random users.  By definition they are not well tested and thus are not
very suitable to people who want to use them solely as a compiler.

If there is a problem with this snapshot (missing/broken files, etc.)
please email Phil Blundell <[email-masked]>.

Report bugs to [email-masked] (not bug-gcc).

Special "admin" files in this snapshot are:

,brik           - brik checksums for each file in the snapshot
,ls.deleted     - list of deleted files from the previous snapshot
,ls.fsf         - an ls of the FSF source tree
,ls.local	- an ls of the snapshot tree

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 20:56:18 +0000 (GMT)

> version a go.  I'd like to hear reports of how it works for arm-linuxaout

Downloaded it (quite fast surprisingly..), unpacked it on my
i586-pc-linux-gnulibc1 host.  Configured it as a cross-compiler to
arm-linuxaout

Problem #1
tm.h declares TARGET_CPU_DEFAULT at line 1 - it's then redeclared in
config/arm/linux.h at line 34.  I removed the warning by deleting the
first occurrence - you might want to put a guarding #undef in front of
the second define.

Problem #2
the default --prefix seems to be /usr whereas the binutils 2.8.1.0.15
default to /usr/local, like the other GNU utilities do.  So it doesn't
find the arm-linuxaout-as that I'd installed moments earlier.  Easily
fixed by changing the prefix.

Problem #3
The documentation is somewhat out of date.  This is probably something
I could help with over Xmas.

Problem #4
You need to copy the *ARM* unistd.h into
/usr/local/arm-linuxaout/include/asm.  This isn't explicitly stated -
and I'm not sure that it's really necessary since the SWI numbers are
unlikely to change - indeed, they can't without breaking every binary,
and library, on the system.

I should emphasise that this was a cross-compiler from my peecee -
I don't have enough disc space to install it *yet*.  My new 4.3GB IDE
should be arriving on Monday.

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 22:57:27 +0000

>first occurrence - you might want to put a guarding #undef in front of

I'll chase that one tomorrow.

>default to /usr/local, like the other GNU utilities do.  So it doesn't

That's not really a problem - just a slightly annoying quirk.

>/usr/local/arm-linuxaout/include/asm.  This isn't explicitly stated -

Actually, you ought to install the ARM kernel source and make the standard 
symlinks to PREFIX/arm-linuxaout/include/{asm, linux}.

>and library, on the system.

Equally, you aren't likely to be able to compile much in the way of real code 
without the headers present, so I don't think it's a big problem. 

p.