Subject: Re: What libc in ARM Linux?

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 09:23:34 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>, Matthew Wilcox writes:
>libc 4.  Since we do not yet have ELF, libc 5 is a no-go.  Though, since
>we wll presumably skip libc 5 and move straight to libc 6 once we do have
>ELF, a case could be made for doing an a.out libc 5.  It all depends if
>someone feels it's worth the effort.  It probably isn't.

I think the effort would be better spent on doing an a.out libc6.

p.

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 20:47:43 +0100 (BST)

> I think the effort would be better spent on doing an a.out libc6.

Why an a.out libc 6?  Surely you have ELF almost going, don't you?

I would rather drop a.out at libc 4 and move to ELF if at all possible
(ELF is holding up work on a lot of areas at the moment).

The sooner we have some sort of ELF the better.

(And I don't want anyone saying 'well, you do it'...  That would be like
asking someone with no hands to lift a 10 tonne safe on their own! ;) )
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King        [email-masked]        --- ---
  | | | |    http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/home.html      /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 09:52:18 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>, Russell King - ARM Li
>Why an a.out libc 6?  Surely you have ELF almost going, don't you?

`Almost going' is a bit optimistic.  I'm getting there but it's a slow 
business.  Olof may be able to speed things along a little; the main problem 
is that I don't have any spare time to devote to it right now.  The time slot 
I was supposed to get to work on the GNU toolchain got squeezed out by other 
things, unfortunately, and I don't know when I'll be able to arrange another. 

p.