Subject: Re: .rpm files

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 17:05:35 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Ale Terlevich wrote:

> man rpm ?
> (Assuming you've installed the rpm-2.3-1a5.arm.rpm!)

BTW, I find it rather b'zarre that an 'rpm' installation thingy is in rpm 
format.  Since I couldn't use the normal RedHat methods of installing, 
and needed to install from floppies, I currently have 100meg (ish) of 
rpms and no way to install them, even though I have the 'rpm.rpm' 
distribution thingy.

Can anyone tell me how I can install these things by hand please?  I'm 
currently using the old 3-disc distribution that I found in the 
'old-stuff' directory of the ftp site, and many of the binaries don't 
work (inc. bash and cpio).

Thanks,
Phil

-- 

=============================================
= Phil Norman  -  [email-masked] =
= http://newton.ex.ac.uk/general/ug/norman  =
=    Acorn fanatic and physics student      =
=============================================

---

From: Ale Terlevich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 17:28:34 +0100 (BST)

> work (inc. bash and cpio).

  Can you copy all of the .rpm files into your linux partition? If you do 
that, then the install/supplemental disks can read and install them.  You 
just have to boot off these as described in the installation instructions.

Ale.

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 18:19:22 +0100 (BST)

> rpms and no way to install them, even though I have the 'rpm.rpm' 

rpm is also distributed in .tar.gz format, and tar in shell archive format
and gzip in uncompressed format. So with a bourne shell a compiler and
patience you can dig out of any hole..

Alan

---

From: Sergio Monesi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 1997 12:22:35 +0200

> just have to boot off these as described in the installation instructions.

This is the way I did it. I created two partitions and then I let the
installer format them, then I copied the RPMs in a partition setting the
correct directory structure (RedHat/RPMS, RedHat/base) and finally installed
everything from it. 

The 'instimage' directory on the FTP site contains a few useful programs,
'cp' for a start (but you can also go on with 'cat' if you prefer).

Cheers,
Sergio

-- 
Sergio Monesi...
char *email[]={"[email-masked]","[email-masked]"};
char *www[]={"http://bounce.to/sergio"};  /* no, it's not a joke, try it! */
// Star Trek XXVII - The Search for Shatner's Teeth.

---

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 10:39:42 +0100 (BST)

> correct directory structure (RedHat/RPMS, RedHat/base) and finally installed

Marvellous idea!  It'll take hours copying all the rpm files across from 
RuskOS to linux, but it'll be worth it (I even have my old 210meg hard 
drive ripe for reformatting).  Thanks for the tip :-)

> 'cp' for a start (but you can also go on with 'cat' if you prefer).

actually, when I tried using 'cat' for copying files (of course, using sh 
since I had booted using the RedHat install discs and ctrl-Z-ed out), it 
wrote off my terminal, since cat decided to ignore my redirection and 
blat it all to the terminal.  Weird.  Ah well, I'll be using bash in no 
time with luck :-).

Thanks for your help,
Phil

--

---

From: Sergio Monesi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 1997 14:36:26 +0200

In message <Pine.SGI.3.91.971006103630.19553A-100000@hebe> you wrote:

> > correct directory structure (RedHat/RPMS, RedHat/base) and finally
> > installed everything from it. 

Since we are on the subject, you can also read them directly from RISC OS
mounting the ADFS disc (eg. mount -t adfs /dev/hda4).

A major problem I encountered with all these methods is that I had to rename
the files to the original looong name which is quite a pain. To avoid this,
after I had a basic installation running I immediately installed the unzip
package, so I downloaded the RPMs from another Unix box or from RISC OS
(using LongFiles) and then zipped them. From ARMLinux unzip maintained the
original names!

I also installed the PPP package as soon as possible and then I finished
downloading some package directly from ARMLinux, the connection with my
provider worked very well!

> blat it all to the terminal.  Weird.  

Yes, you're right, I had a similar problem too!
BTW: I copied the files using the second console (ALT-F2) after having loaded
the supplemental disc from the Redhat installer.

Cheers,
Sergio

-- 
Sergio Monesi...
char *email[]={"[email-masked]","[email-masked]"};
char *www[]={"http://bounce.to/sergio"};  /* no, it's not a joke, try it! */
// Who is General Failure and why is he reading my disk?

---

From: Bernhard Mogens Ege <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 07:23:11 GMT

>>>>> "Sergio" == Sergio Monesi <[email-masked]> writes:

> Since we are on the subject, you can also read them directly from RISC
> OS mounting the ADFS disc (eg. mount -t adfs /dev/hda4).

True.

> A major problem I encountered with all these methods is that I had to
> rename the files to the original looong name which is quite a pain. To
> avoid this, after I had a basic installation running I immediately
> installed the unzip package, so I downloaded the RPMs from another
> Unix box or from RISC OS (using LongFiles) and then zipped them. From
> ARMLinux unzip maintained the original names!

You dont have to preserve the original names. You dont even have to copy
the rpm files from your ADFS disk to your ext2 disk. You can simply
create links (names irrelevant) from your adfs disk to your ext2 disk
and use your ext2 disk to install from. Just make sure the directory
structure is intact (RedHat/Base, RedHat/RPMS). The installer doesn't
care what names you give the rpm files. (I installed from zip-disc with
8.3 char names). However you will need the ln binary.

> Cheers, Sergio

Bernhard

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Bernhard Mogens Ege, M.Sc.E.E.  |           | E-mail:      [email-masked]
 Laboratory of Image Analysis    |      /(   | Direct call:   +45 96 35 87 85
 Institute of Electronic Systems |   ._//(   | Switchboard:   +45 96 35 80 80
 Aalborg University              |  /  |  \  | Fax:           +45 98 15 40 08
 Frederik Bajersvej 7, D1-205    |  A  A  U  | Homepage:
 DK-9220 Aalborg East            |           | http://www.vision.auc.dk/~bme
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Home: H.C.Andersens Vej 26 st.mf., DK-9000 Aalborg, Phone: +45 20 42 99 26
------------------------------------------------------------------------------