Subject: Re: Resend - Re: More questions about installing ARM Linux (fwd)

From: Brian Brunswick <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 10:04:54 +0100 (BST)

I meant to send this to the list the first time.

In <URL:news:local.linux-arm> on Wed 15 Oct, Phil Norman wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, John Lagrue wrote:
> > Hhhmmmm.
> 
> Firstly, you have a choice - you can keep the filenames as they are (ie 
> use LongFileNames), or not.  It doesn't matter.  However, following these 
> instructions you'll be copying large numbers of files into directories, 
> and LongFileNames cannot cope with more than a certain number of these.  
> I think possibly the limit is 32, but I've not checked.  If you're not 
> using long filenames, 77 is, of course, the limit.
> 
Somewhat easier is to tar up the files into one huge one on riscos,
and use cpio -H tar to decompress them off the adfs partition under
linux. (Though having said that it may be a slight fight to get
riscos tar not to damage the names - I did it under RiscBSD)

-- 
The past is a fading dream, the future mere speculation - live for the moment!
Brian Brunswick  [email-masked]    Disclaimer.  Short sig rules OK

---

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 10:37:58 +0100 (BST)

> riscos tar not to damage the names - I did it under RiscBSD)

My version of RiscOS tar keeps deciding that every time it sees a '/' 
character it has to create a new directory, which means that when I have 
a look at the file afterwards, I've got a lovely big directory structure 
and not much else :-(

-- 

=============================================
= Phil Norman  -  [email-masked] =
= http://newton.ex.ac.uk/general/ug/norman  =
=    Acorn fanatic and physics student      =
=============================================

---

From: Brian Brunswick <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 11:05:04 +0100 (BST)

> a look at the file afterwards, I've got a lovely big directory structure 
Hmm.. indeed I can't get riscos tar to work at all - I always did think
its filename mangling was somewhat suspicious

Ok, so the only way to do what I said is to put the files onto unix with
NFS, and tar them there.
-- 
The past is a fading dream, the future mere speculation - live for the moment!
Brian Brunswick  [email-masked]    Disclaimer.  Short sig rules OK

---

From: Andy Fawcett <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 11:15:56 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, Phil Norman wrote:

> and not much else :-

When I want to transfer stuff from RiscOS to any unix, I use SparkFS to
create a Unix format Tar file, then ftp that across and untar it at the
other end. The only problem I've had is with file/directory permissions,
and a quick chmod sorts that out.
-- 
Andy Fawcett