Subject: Installing things again

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 20:28:36 +0100 (BST)

Hi again!  Yet another email about installation problems.

As a result of the horrible, hard-drive-numbing events that occurred 
while I was trying to install armlinux, my hard drive decided to go gaga, 
and fsck didn't want to cooperate.  So as a result, I've taken the 
following steps so far:

1: Booting with the 2 floppies and pretending to install from hard 
drive.  This was done only in order that I could reformat my hard drive.  
Since there was already a RedHat directory tree on the very partition I 
wanted to format, I told it to install things from that so that I could 
get to the formatting section.  I reformatted the drive, and then the 
installer died screaming, yelling about problems finding the RedHat tree 
;-).  This is probably what caused the problem (a directory not being 
created or some such).

2: Booting again with floppies, and armed with a floppy containing 'cp' 
and 'unzip', I created a directory on my newly-formatted HD called 
'RedHat', shoved all the RPMS in, instimage, base etc.  All nice and 
funky so far.

3: Booting yet again with floppies, I went through the 'install from HD' 
thing again, again telling it to install from the same HD (now containing 
the RedHat tree).  This time, of course, I didn't reformat the drive, but 
told it to 'install everything' in that selector thingy.  However, as 
soon as I pressed OK, an error box popped up saying something to the 
effect of 'I couldn't create the rpm database file'.

I assume this rpm database file has to go in a directory which should 
have been created after HD formatting, but wasn't because it screamingly 
died.  So can anyone tell me what directories I have to create (or 
whatever else I have to do if my guess is wrong) to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Phil

-- 

=============================================
= Phil Norman  -  [email-masked] =
= http://newton.ex.ac.uk/general/ug/norman  =
=    Acorn fanatic and physics student      =
=============================================