Subject: ARM & ELF - the situation

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 22:47:51 +0100 (BST)

Hi all.

Some good news about ARM Ltd and ELF.

Any rumours about ARM `not liking' someone else to define an ELF standard
appears to be totally unfounded.  I have just received an email that says
(in as many words) that they would be happy to consider any *complete* ideas
about ELF to incorporate into an ELF standard for ARM.

So, in other words, if we all can work together and come up with a spec for
ELF on ARM, then there's a chance that it may well become the official ELF
standard for ARM.

I think that this is possibly a unique oppotunity that we should grab hold
of.

What I mean by an ELF standard btw is the full works, not just a small
section of it.

I think that we should designate a different mailing list specifically for
discussion of ARM ELF standard - not everyone subscribed to the vger mailing
list is going to be interested in it.  In fact, I would imagine that most
people would not be.

If someone wants to set up a separate mailing list, please do so, but mail
this list so that all relevent people can join.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King        [email-masked]        --- ---
  | | | |    http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/home.html      /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |