Subject: StrongARM in light of Digital/Intel agreement

From: David Alan Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 12:45:36 +0000

Hi,
  For those of you who haven't heard yet, Digital and Intel have
settled their patent war.  The price is that Digital is selling its
chip fabrication facilities to Intel (at what some might regard as a very
low price) and also giving some (all??-Alpha) of its semiconductor design
teams to Intel.

  Does anyone on the list know what position this puts the StrongARM
in?

Dave
-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
- David Alan Gilbert - WARNING! This is a beta release .signature    -
- Work:    dg @ cogency.co.uk        -    0161-428-9444              -
- Home:    gro.gilbert @ treblig.org -                               -
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "dantodd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 09:25:48 +1100

> From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
> To: Mark smith <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: StrongARM in light of Digital/Intel agreement
> Date: Thursday, 30 October 1997 7:40
> 
> > Well unfortunately Intel does get the StrongARM Risc chip 
> > technology....
> 
> I've had it confirmed by a Digital semi guy whose about to become an
Intel
> empire droid

Would this be a breach of ARM's licencing agreement?  Is this effectively
giving Intel a free licence to produce chips with ARM's core or 'clones'?

Dan