Subject: ICS IDE ...

From: "S. Richard Grint" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 14:54:15 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

I`ve been trying to get Armlinux to run on my A3000 (with ICS IDE) but
have been having a problem.  The kernel, while initialising the ICS IDE
driver hangs, completely halting the machine (even the cursor ceases to
flash).  Further investigation revealed that the kernel (2.0.30) attempts
to  write a byte to a hardware register using  outb(unsigned char c,int
address) found within linux/arch/arm/lib/io.S in the kernel source.  The
function is invoked by  outb(&a0,&1f6) which I think is the same as
?&30107D8=&A0  in BASIC terms.  Isn`t this location mapped to within the
RISC OS ROMs?

Anyone any ideas? 

Rich

---

From: David Alan Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 16:31:21 +0000

Hi,
  On the kernel boot line add:
  ide0=noprobe ide1=noprobe ide2=noprobe ide3=noprobe

and see what happens.  We have a fix which is presently
being rolled into the source.
(Your problem is that its trying to probe the IDE
hardware that is present on the A5000).

Dave
-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
- David Alan Gilbert - WARNING! This is a beta release .signature    -
- Work:    dg @ cogency.co.uk        -    0161-428-9444              -
- Home:    gro.gilbert @ treblig.org -                               -
----------------------------------------------------------------------