Subject: Old archimedes

From: Dave Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 21:48:49 +0100

Hi,
  I've put together a small web page for ARM Linux on old machines -
it is:

http://www.treblig.demon.co.uk/Armlinux.html

>From that you can pick up one of the 3 precompiled kernels
and

*** STOP PRESS ***

a boot disc for the old machines. The boot disc gets into the installer
but I haven't pushed it much further than that.  Reports welcome.

Dave
-- 
---------------------------------------------------- Man can not live  -
 David Alan Gilbert - gro.gilbert @ treblig.org ---- by bread alone. He 
---------------------------------------------------- needs chocolate.  -

---

From: Andy Fawcett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 10:10:27 +0100

Dave Gilbert wrote:
> a boot disc for the old machines. The boot disc gets into the
> installer but I haven't pushed it much further than that.  Reports
> welcome.

So, what we have now is a release of the software for all systems. All
except for the A5000 it seems, which is a shame, since that's where we
all came in, IIRC...

Oh for a A5000 setup that works.

-- 
Andy Fawcett
(at Carol's)

---

From: James Craig <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 11:24:36 +0100 (BST)

> Oh for a A5000 setup that works.
Hmmm.
I can't make up A5K disks for people, but I don't mind compiling the
kernel for anyone that needs it. It only takes about 7 minutes per kernel
on my machine...
If you want me to do that, make up a Config.in file and mail me.
I'll try and compile the kernel to order. :)
(You'll need to tell me what arch+machine you're wanting too)
-- James Craig <[email-masked]>

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 20:37:20 -0000

>  I've put together a small web page for ARM Linux on old machines -

I'll see if I can find time to get something going on A5000-style hardware 
too, since nobody else seems to be doing it and my A5k isn't doing a lot at 
the moment.

p.

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 01:16:16 +0100 (BST)

> too, since nobody else seems to be doing it and my A5k isn't doing a lot at 

Not quite correct atm - I am working on it, but alas, I can't run the kernel
for long (since my setup here *relies* on the A5k for all machines not to
report NFS server ... not responding)...  I am currently testing the new
AcornSCSI driver (which is the reason why I can't currently use the new
kernels).

However, A5k should actually be ok to compile up from the latest code
(it seems to work ok for the little time I've run it).

This weekend I could upload the kernel that I have been using to test this
new driver.

I do have a root disk now for the A5k, but I can't get it to do an install
on a 4MB machine, nor 8MB if you're using a HD image (both situations they
run out of memory), and this is a kernel with no modules inserted!

BTW, I'm not seeing many patches from people compiling the kernel, so I'll
assume that it's ok.  This also goes for the porting as well - I'm assuming
that no one is adding any code.  However, if people are modifing the code,
then I would really like to have patches to integrate into the tree.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King        [email-masked]        --- ---
  | | | |    http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/home.html      /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |