Subject: Prob with installer

From: [email-masked] (Thomas Marx)
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 08:44:45 +0100 (MET)

Hi!
I just managed to copy the RH distribution directory structure to an ext2
partition, installed packages, set keyboard, gave a system password and ...
the installer throw error : Cannot find a kernel. Where does this kernel
has to be? I wonder theres no kernel RPM pack. Does this matter?

Thanx in advance.
C U, Tom

---

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 10:16:21 +0000 (GMT)

> has to be? I wonder theres no kernel RPM pack. Does this matter?

I'm not sure exactly what RedHat does with any kernel it finds.  I think 
it's to do with setting up a bootloader, and a linux-side bootloader 
isn't currently available to my knowledge.  What I did was to shell out 
(ctrl-z) and sync the drives.  Since no paths will be set up at this 
stage, you'll have to do it manually, using /mnt/bin/sync.  I'm not sure 
if this path is correct - sync will be somewhere around though on your 
newly-installed-to ext2 partition.  After that and a quick reboot, you 
should be able to boot into linux and login as root.  If you don't sync, 
you could have some really nasty problems with fsck when you try and boot 
back in.  If you do do a sync first, fsck will go through your drive for 
a fair amount of time, but will manage to 'fix' everything ok (though 
actually nothing should need fixing).

Hope this helps,
Phil

-- 

=============================================
= Phil Norman  -  [email-masked] =
= http://newton.ex.ac.uk/general/ug/norman  =
=    Acorn fanatic and physics student      =
=============================================

---

From: Brian Brunswick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 10:22:41 +0000 (GMT)

> has to be? I wonder theres no kernel RPM pack. Does this matter?

THis is covered by the FAQ, but it got me too. Look under the Clan CD
section - you need to shut down the install disks carefully using 
/mnt/bin/sync from the second console (if you didn't do this first time
definately redo the install from scratch) Then boot up from the adfs kernel
with a manually entered kernel parameter root=/dev/whatever Then
copy the kernel in by hand and configure loadmap.

-- 
The past is a fading dream, the future mere speculation - live for the moment!
Brian Brunswick  [email-masked]    Disclaimer.  Short sig rules OK