Subject: Mail Strip (Was pipex)

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 09:50:36 +0100 (BST)

These ack messages that people seem to be getting appear to be the result
of a program that argonet promote, called MailStrip.  Their web page
says:

  Any mail, whether killed or not, may have an automatic reply generated
  so you can either acknowledge receipt or (for killed mails) tell the
  sender that their mail has been bounced.

Isn't this automatic acknowledgement depreciated by some RFC or something
like that?  ie.  the only time that an acknowledgement is generated is
if the sender specifically asks for one?

You can read all about MailStrip on argonet's web site:
http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/pirate.king/progs.html

If you have a copy of MailStrip and are thinking about using it, or
are using it, then please do one of the following:
1) check and fix your configuration.
2) delete the stupid program and mail [email-masked] to tell them
   that it is a turkey.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King        [email-masked]        --- ---
  | | | |    http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/home.html      /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Dave Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 16:59:05 +0100

> 2) delete the stupid program and mail [email-masked] to tell them

I had a good conversation with Argonet support yesterday and they said
that:
  It is NOT their program
  That page is one of their users - ? who wrote the program?
  However a lot of their users use it.

Dave
-- 
---------------------------------------------------- Man can not live  -
 David Alan Gilbert - gro.gilbert @ treblig.org ---- by bread alone. He 
---------------------------------------------------- needs chocolate.  -

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 18:35:06 +0100 (BST)

> if the sender specifically asks for one?

Quite specifically so

Can I suggest simply deleting all argonet users from the vger lists
indefinitely