Subject: Compiling Kernel on Risc PC

From: Michael Short <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 97 10:48:00 PDT

Has anyone been successful compiling a Linux kernel on Risc PC?

I have not tryed compiling a kernel on my i386 Machine, but when I try to   
compile
the 2.0.30 kernel on my risc PC using gcc, and the other utils provided   
with the arm linux
distrib, I get errors..

I have gotten recently an error that  says there is a fatal internal   
compiler error?

I tried compiling a kernel previously, and it compiled and linked OK, but   
when I went to load it it
from a floppy, it read from the floppy for about 30 seconds, the screen   
blinked, and then my risc PC
rebooted..

after that I have not been able to succesfully compile again..

I used the upgrade option to try and update any/all files that may be   
corrupted, or missing with the
redhat installation.. I then tried compiling again, and nothing :(

Has anyone had similar problems?

I have thought of killing everything, and trying a clean install..

anyone have any Ideas? I can recreate the problem iof anyone wants to   
know what the exact error said..

anything that will help me out would be appreciated..

 -M Short
[email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 23:16:36 +0100 (BST)

Michael Short writes:
> compile the 2.0.30 kernel on my risc PC using gcc, and the other utils
> provided with the arm linux distrib, I get errors..

I strongly suggest that you use the latest 2.0.31pre9 code.

> I have gotten recently an error that  says there is a fatal internal   

I have seen some of these, normally a signal 11 or something similar.  In
earlier kernels, I have found that the cache flush wasn't working correctly
on the SA, thus causing the cache to become inconsistent with the page
mappings.

> when I went to load it it from a floppy, it read from the floppy for about
> 30 seconds, the screen blinked, and then my risc PC rebooted..

It sounds like you didn't set the architecture/processor correctly.  Check
README.arm and arch/arm/Makefile.

> after that I have not been able to succesfully compile again..

You should be able to restart the make, and it should continue properly.
I only saw this error about once every 5 kernel compilations.  Are you
seeing it more frequently?
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King        [email-masked]        --- ---
  | | | |    http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/home.html      /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Neil Turton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 14:22:19 +0100

> I strongly suggest that you use the latest 2.0.31pre9 code.

  I am also having problems compiling a Kernel on my SA risc PC, (but
none of the SIGSEGVs), and would like to get hold of the 2.0.31pre9
code.  I have located the patch, but couldn't find what to apply the
patch to.  I applied the 2.0.30-20071997 patch to linux-2.0.30.tar.gz,
and it compiled (but it didn't work), but I couldn't find a
linux-2.0.31.tar.gz on my local ftp.funet.fi mirror at
src.doc.ic.ac.uk.  (I tried applying it to 2.0.30, but it didn't
compile.)

  The trouble I am having with both patch-arm-2.0.30-20071997 and
patch-arm-2.0.30-16051997 is that a brownish(red?) line appears above
the 2nd character at the top of the display before the kernel boots,
and the machine locks up.  It doesn't clear the screen or say
"Uncompressing Linux".  I have noticed this line on the distributed
kernel (which works), but it is only there briefly, as the screen
clears and the "Uncompressing Linux" message appears.  I set MACHINE
to rpc, and PROCESSOR to armv.  Is this a fix that appeared in
2.0.31pre9, or am I doing something wrong?

  As a side-issue, there seems to be a problem with the 20071997
patch, as arch/arm/drivers/sound/* does not exist, but the sound
directory is listed in arch/arm/drivers/Makefile, so make dep fails.
I removed sound from ALL_SUB_DIRS (or whatever it is) to make it
compile.

  Any help would be appreciated.

Neil Turton.
-- 
#include "disclaimer.h"
Neil Turton, Software Engineer
Acorn Network Computing                       Tel: +44 (0) 1223 725 528
Acorn House, 645 Newmarket Road               Fax: +44 (0) 1223 725 628
Cambridge, United Kingdom, CB5 8PB            WWW: http://www.acorn.com

---

From: Ale Terlevich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 15:59:54 +0100 (BST)

> patch to.  I applied the 2.0.30-20071997 patch to linux-2.0.30.tar.gz,

Try 
http://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/public/Mirrors/tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/sources/system/testing/

> patch, as arch/arm/drivers/sound/* does not exist, but the sound

  Use a later patch.