Subject: Bugger Intel I want an ARM machine

From: Mark smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 14:10:23 +0000

Not sure where to post this message but I'll try here first.

Well Intel have finally managed to hack me off and as such I'm 
looking for another computer system.

How ? you may ask.  Well I've just come back from the Intel Processor 
Integrators seminar, and boy did they deal out a load of rubbish.  
Seems that Intel has grown to big for it's boots and has decided that 
they can now dictate what every one needs rather than ask what 
everyone wants.
In the 2nd Q of 1998 Intel will stop production of the Pentium MMX 
and Pentium Pro chips so they can use the manufacturing resources for 
the Pentium II.
In other words all that will be left will be that horrible huge 
radiator called the Pentium II :-(  How on earth is that meant to 
fit on a single board computer ? Let alone cool it! (dual Pentium II 
puts out 86 Watts in heat!)

So, funnily enough, I want a different machine and the Risc PC sounds 
nice, and sounds nicer now that it will have a PCI bus.
But does anyone know when the PCI RiscPC will be available ? 
Christmas ?

And what will OS and software support be like, I know it'll have 
Linux, and RiscOS, but how about NT ? Anyone know ?

Thanks.

Mark
[email-masked]

PS. Sorry about the ranting but you get put in a bad mood when you 
have to sit through 3 hours of dictatorship drivel from a company 
that has it's head stuck up somewhere dark, warm and belonging to Mr. 
Gates.

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 22:22:53 +0100 (BST)

> looking for another computer system.

I think that every one on this list will agree with me if I say that
we don't blame you!

> puts out 86 Watts in heat!)

How many Watts is your average toaster again??? ;)

> nice, and sounds nicer now that it will have a PCI bus. But does
> anyone know when the PCI RiscPC will be available ? Christmas ?

Well, you may be interested to know that there is an Acorn show coming
up in London towards the end of October, and they will have a Risc PC
`on show'.

> Linux, and RiscOS, but how about NT ? Anyone know ?

Well, the new Risc PC won't have Linux until it's been ported.  None
of Acorn's machines has NT (probably something to do with a certain
reception that Mr Gates received from Acorn...)

> that has it's head stuck up somewhere dark, warm and belonging to Mr. 

That's quite all right - IMHO their adverts are bad enough to deter me
from even going ;)
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King        [email-masked]        --- ---
  | | | |    http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/home.html      /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Peter Naulls <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 12:05:38 +1300

> Linux, and RiscOS, but how about NT ? Anyone know ?

NT is probably unlikely - because it talks directly to a lot of
hardware, but Win95, ARMLinux and RiscBSD are all very likely (after possible
modifications) since they run on the current hardware :)

Peter

-- 
+-----------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
| Peter Naulls                            | Acorn Risc PC 700  *ARM Powered*  |
| [email-masked]                      | Porting Java & Sather for Risc OS |
| http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~pnaulls/   | Co-editor of Acorn archive list   |
| Phone 64-7-856-4562                     | Computer consultancy              |
| The meaning of life:  3.5               | Web page design                   |
+-----------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
  Senders of unsolicited email agree to send me NZ$100 for wasting my time

---

From: Phil Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 09:19:05 +0100 (BST)

> How many Watts is your average toaster again??? ;)

That's exactly the problem with Acorn.  While they 'played around' with
fitting a single-slice pop-up toaster on one of the RiscPCs on show a few
years back, since they didn't have enough upgrades for it, Intel were
going for the real thing.  This just highlights the difference in attitude
- whereas Acorn are content to play with new IT (Integral Toaster) 
technology, Intel are already almost there with a full-scale solution!  
Get your act together, Acorn, WE WANT TOASTERS TOO!!!!

Take care,
Phil

-- 

=============================================
= Phil Norman  -  [email-masked] =
= http://newton.ex.ac.uk/general/ug/norman  =
=    Acorn fanatic and physics student      =
=============================================

---

From: Jan Magnussen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 12:43:21 +0200

> modifications) since they run on the current hardware :)

Actually NT is likely to happen for the PC-card. I talked to Aleph One
recently and they are working on new 32-bit drivers for different
"things", and they said that we may be able to run NT with those
drivers.

Regards,

Jan Magnussen
http://www.kom.auc.dk/~janm
Fidonet 2:234/181.8

---

From: Peter Naulls <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 00:00:03 +1300

> "things", and they said that we may be able to run NT with those

coo :)  Something to watch out for then :)