Subject: X/ide on old machines

From: Dave Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 21:51:09 +0100

Hi,
  A few days ago Mark Wild asked about X and IDE on the old machinees
(A400/A310/R260 etc.) - well here goes the reply.

*****
  This is being typed into a Netscape being displayed in X on my R260 -
I had to run netscape with the -mono option (I don't think it likes the
4 bpp display).
  The kernel has IDE compiled in; but to stop it crashing the old
machine s you have to put ide0=noprobe ide1=noprobe ide2=noprobe
ide3=noprobe on the kernel line - I'm sending a tiny patch to Russ to
fix this. I don't know what will happen if you but an IDE podule in -
but I guess it will work.

  X on my A440 - 4MB of ram - works but is unbareably slow.

Dave

P.S. Please put up with more typos than normal - the backspace and
delete are arguing with Netscape more than normal.

- 
---------------------------------------------------- Man can not live  -
 David Alan Gilbert - gro.gilbert @ treblig.org ---- by bread alone. He 
---------------------------------------------------- needs chocolate.  -