Subject: Re: Installed at last!

From: [email-masked] (John Lagrue)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 20:38:25 +0100 (BST)

Phil Norman <[email-masked]> wrote:

> OK then - to install off a hard disc you need this:

> /RedHat/RPMS		contains the RPM files
> /RedHat/base		contains base distribution (off ftp site)
> /instimage		contains instimage stuff off ftp site

> I'm not sure if /RedHat/base is actually needed, but I felt it was
better
> to be safe.  It would be rather nice if there was a zip file on the
> armlinux ftp site containing all of 'instimage', since I had to ftp each

> file over individually, recreate the directory structure and then zip
the 
> thing up, which was a pain in the neck.

Congratulations on getting it running. Wish I could say the same :-(

Russell: any news yet on driving the IDEFS interface from ICS? I'm dying
to get Linux running here on my machine too.

JDL

-- 
John Lagrue

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 21:11:57 +0100 (BST)

> to get Linux running here on my machine too.

Indeed.  Tonight, a couple of ICS IDEFS (ARCIN V5 and ARCIN V6) interfaces
turned up, and I've just tried it and got:

hda: Conner Peripherals 1080MB - CFS1081A, 1032MB w/0kB Cache, CHS=2097/16/63
hdb: CD-ROM CDU76E, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 9
hdc: probing with STATUS instead of ALTSTATUS
hdc: Conner Peripherals 1080MB - CFS1081A, 1032MB w/0kB Cache, CHS=2097/16/63
ide1 at 0x80003a00-0x80003a07,0x80003aa0 on irq 35
Partition check:
 hdc: [ADFS] hdc1 [Linux] hdc2 < hdc3 hdc4 >
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M, fd1 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total.
 hda: [ADFS] hda1 [Linux] hda2 < hda3 hda4 hda5 >
 hdc: [ADFS] hdc1 [Linux] hdc2 < hdc3 hdc4 >
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.

I can see two problems with at as it stands:
1) It's not finding ALTSTATUS (& therefore is not finding the device
   control register)
2) It's asking for the partition information too early.

I'm looking into both of these now...  In fact, the second is probably
already fixed by the time you get this email...
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King        [email-masked]        --- ---
  | | | |    http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/home.html      /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 23:31:27 +0100 (BST)

> to get Linux running here on my machine too.

Good news tonight on that subject:

After a couple of hours of work & testing, both the ARCIN V5 and ARCIN V6
now work in my RiscPC!

At first, the ARCIN V5 appeared to work, but sometime after mounting a
partition off a Conner drive (readonly) and listing directories recursively,
it got the IRQs timing out.

I shall upload a new kernel image this weekend that should work with these
interface cards.

Please note:

1) I have not tested it on any other machines other than this RiscPC I have
   (Iss. 3), and as such, I don't know if it's going to work on the A5000, nor
   any of the other RiscPCs for that matter.

2) The detection of the ARCIN V5 or V6 is critial to the operation of the
   interface.  If you have an ARCIN V5, the podule description (shown by
   *Podules under RiscOS, or at kernel boot up) must be: 'IDE Interface'.
   Similarly, ARCIN V6 must be 'IDE USER PORT Expansion Card'.  If not, then
   the interface will not be recognised (and a warning printed in the kernel
   messages).

3) DMA mode on ARCIN V6 is not yet supported (note the use of yet).
   _____