Subject: making dep = making me confused?

From: Michael Short <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 97 16:32:00 PDT

I am preparing to compile a 2.0.30 kernel for my RiscPC

I have done a make config, and when i do a make dep I get an error..   
 here is what a few of the lines look like..

make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/arm/drivers/scsi'
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/arm/drivers/sound'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `fastdep'.   Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/arm/drivers/sound'
make[1]: *** [fastdep] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/arm/drivers'
make: *** [dep-files] Error 2

 It seem to try to make something called fastdep, that does not exist? is   
this a mispelling, should it be removed?

what should I do to properly setupup my dependencies before compiling?

thanx

 -M Short
[email-masked]

also  do I need a loader to get ArmLinux running on my DEC ebsa-110?
anyone who has actually got this running please mail me some ideas on how   
this was accomplished..

I have been trying to do several diffrent things with it.. I have a bootp   
server setup for it, and it now knows what ip it is assigned to use..

I am sorta clueless what I should do after this..

plz help..

THANX

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 21:25:11 +0100 (BST)

> this a mispelling, should it be removed?

Nope.  That is actually correct.  Make fastdep should work in there.  You
must run `make dep' in the linux subdirectory (the top of the Linux kernel
tree).  If this is what you did, you may have a broken make or shell.  Which
versions are you trying to use?

> anyone who has actually got this running please mail me some ideas on how   

You only need the bootp loader to load the kernel image at 0x8000, and a
serial console attached to COM2.  Kernel messages appear on COM2.

> server setup for it, and it now knows what ip it is assigned to use..

What you want to do is to also set up tftp.  The bootp loader first of all
asks the bootp server for it's IP address and then contacts the tftp server
to obtain an image to execute.

All that you need to do is to put the kernel on your bootp server, such as
(in my case):
	/var/boot/caramon/vmlinuz

Then, in your bootp configuration file:
	rp=/var/boot/caramon		specifies the root directory for
					the kernel once it's booted
	hd=/var/boot/caramon		specifies the location of the
					boot images
	bf=vmlinuz			specifies the name of the file to
					obtain.

I actually have a kernel directory, which contains symbolic links to the
actual location of the kernels (in the per-machine directory):
	/var/boot/kernels
	/var/boot/kernels/caramon -> /var/boot/caramon/vmlinuz

In my bootptab file, I have
	:bf=caramon:hd=/var/boot/kernels:rp=/var/boot/caramon:

This means that all the kernels are visible from the machine while it is
running, and you can still keep tight security on the tftp server.

BTW, /var/boot/caramon (or whatever) should at some point contain a root
filesystem for the EBSA, and in the above examples, caramon is the machine
name that I allocated my EBSA.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King        [email-masked]        --- ---
  | | | |    http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/home.html      /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |