Subject: Missing passwd + more...

From: Sergio Monesi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 18:20:30 +0200

I finally managed to install ARMLinux using DOS floppies only and having only
a Linux partition of 100Mb. It has been quite a boring task but it worked,
thanks to the ability of the new kernel/installation discs to mount DOS
floppies and ADFS harddiscs!

I just installed the base RPMs and now I am trying to install the C
Development sets.

Although I think I installed all the RPMs (the RedHat installer doesn't seem
to care if some RPMs are missing), I feel that some file is still missing,
for example passwd (I don't know where it should reside, probably in /bin).
Having installed most of the C stuff there are some headers missing in
/usr/include, /usr/include/sys/types.h tries to include a linux/types.h
although I have no linux directory in /usr/include. I don't know in which RPM
/usr/include/linux could be since I think I installed all the sensibly named
ones...

Can anybody help me please? Where do I find the missing data? If anybody has
a full installation using "rpm -q" it should be possible to tell where each
file comes from.

Regards,
Sergio

PS: I originally sent this message to [email-masked] because I was
subscribed only to that list. Someone (thank you Matthew!) told me that the
correct mailing list is [email-masked] so I am now subscribing to
both...

-- 
Sergio Monesi...
char *email[]={"[email-masked]","[email-masked]"};
char *www[]={"http://cdc8g5.cdc.polimi.it/~pel0015/"};
// Please Tell Me if you Don't Get This Message

---

From: Ale Terlevich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 18:25:53 +0100 (BST)

> for example passwd (I don't know where it should reside, probably in /bin).

[ale@garp ~]$ rpm -qf /usr/bin/passwd
npasswd-1.2-6

> /usr/include, /usr/include/sys/types.h tries to include a linux/types.h

  Ok, Dunno if they're in a rpm package, but I do know how to get them.

They come with a kernel, so get a kernel

ftp://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk//Mirrors/sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/kernel/v2.0/linux-2.0.30.tar.gz

then a patch from the arm-linux ftp site.

 Unpack the kernel into /usr/src

cd /usr/src
tar xvzf linux-2.0.30.tar.gz

and patch it...

gunzip -c patchfile.gz | patch -p0

then cd /usr/src/linux and read the README

 You need to create the symbolic links, configure the kernel and do a 
make dep to create all the necessary links in the tree.

  You can then delete it all except for the /usr/src/linux/include dir!

This is all from memory (albeit fairly recent memory!) to you#ll have to 
change things a bit.

  Good luck!

Ale.