Subject: Kernels secret Recipe?

From: Michael Short <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 97 16:49:00 PDT

I am having problems getting my source for my kernel ready to rock and   
roll..
I there some kind of secret?

I have opened up my kernel source..
I have patched my kernel source..
(2.0.30)

I have checked my Makefiles..

I did a make config..

i then did make dep

I died on make dep.

no matter what I do, It stops during make dep.

I get out of memory errors.,

It says Error, can not load lib.4.so or something like that

has anyone had similar problems?
I am kind of frustrated.
do I need more memory? I have 10MB now..
I am compiling on a RiscPC..

any info as always is greatly appreciated..

 -M Short
[email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 09:29:07 +0100 (BST)

> It says Error, can not load lib.4.so or something like that

Do you have any swap space set up?  Check that the kernel is using
it ('cat /proc/meminfo' will do).  If you have some set up and it
appears that the kernel is not using it, then check your /etc/fstab.
You should have a line like (example):

	/dev/hda5 none swap sw 0 0

If not, then please add one, and then do 'swapon -a'.  You should
then see a message saying 'Adding Swap: 65532k swap-space (priority -1)'
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King        [email-masked]        --- ---
  | | | |    http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/home.html      /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |