Subject: new kernels

From: Ale Terlevich <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 12:46:48 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

  I was just browsing the ftp site, when I noticed some new 2.0.31 
kernels online.

(btw. where does one get the 2.0.31 source from? I can't find it 
anywhere, sunsite.unc.edu seems to stop at 2.0.30!)

  Being a curious sort I downloaded the 9th september ones, and so my 
surprise I noticed that they have a cumana SCSI II module (v. 0.0.0!) so 
I thought I'd try it out!

 I don't know if it's supposed to be working yet (what with being v0.0.0) 
but here's the output I get when I try insmod cumana_2_mod.o, just incase 
it's useful.

(P.s. I have one internal drive (id. 6), and one external MO drive (id. 0)
and the card is id. 7)

Sep 22 11:23:11 garp kernel: scsi0: fas216: bus reset detected
Sep 22 11:23:11 garp kernel: scsi0 : Cumana SCSI II at port 80000000 irq 
32 v0.0.0 scsi NCR53C9x
Sep 22 11:23:11 garp kernel: scsi : 1 host.
Sep 22 11:23:42 garp kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 
0, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 0x03 00 00 00 10 00 
Sep 22 11:23:48 garp kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 
0, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 0x03 00 00 00 10 00 
Sep 22 11:23:48 garp kernel: SCSI host 0 abort (pid 0) timed out - resetting
Sep 22 11:23:48 garp kernel: SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
Sep 22 11:23:48 garp kernel: scsi0: fas216: bus reset detected
Sep 22 11:23:49 garp kernel: SCSI host 0 channel 0 reset (pid 0) timed 
out - trying harder
Sep 22 11:23:49 garp kernel: SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
Sep 22 11:23:49 garp kernel: scsi0: fas216: bus reset detected
Sep 22 11:23:49 garp kernel: SCSI host 0 reset (pid 0) timed out again -
Sep 22 11:23:49 garp kernel: probably an unrecoverable SCSI bus or device 
hang.

  I changed the MO drive's ID from 0 to 1 and get the same message except 
that now it's pid 1 (and id 1) that's referred to.

  I then disconnect my external drive and turn on the card's auto 
termination (From RiscOS), and I get the following messages....

Sep 22 11:49:13 garp kernel: scsi0 : Cumana SCSI II at port 80000000 irq 
32 v0.0.0 scsi NCR53C9x
Sep 22 11:49:13 garp kernel: scsi : 1 host.
Sep 22 11:49:15 garp kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 
7, scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0 0x12 00 00 00 ff 00 
Sep 22 11:49:17 garp kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 
7, scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0 0x12 00 00 00 ff 00 
Sep 22 11:49:17 garp kernel: SCSI host 0 abort (pid 7) timed out - resetting
Sep 22 11:49:17 garp kernel: SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
Sep 22 11:49:17 garp kernel: scsi0: fas216: bus reset detected
Sep 22 11:49:18 garp kernel: SCSI host 0 channel 0 reset (pid 7) timed 
out - trying harder
Sep 22 11:49:18 garp kernel: SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
Sep 22 11:49:18 garp kernel: scsi0: fas216: bus reset detected
Sep 22 11:49:18 garp kernel: SCSI host 0 reset (pid 7) timed out again -
Sep 22 11:49:18 garp kernel: probably an unrecoverable SCSI bus or device 
hang.

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 22:42:07 +0100 (BST)

Ale Terlevich writes:
>   I was just browsing the ftp site, when I noticed some new 2.0.31 kernels
> online.
> 

That's because the 2.0.31 source is ALPHA and not a real 2.0.31 source.  It's
2.0.31pre9.  You should not call this 2.0.31 *at all* and please refrain
from doing so - if you do, then it'll cause all sorts of problems (which I
don't want right now - I've got enough stress with manufacturers of computer
peripherals at the moment).  I'd just like to be given a break some time, so
if people could use the correct name, it'll really help (and it'll also help
you).

> but here's the output I get when I try insmod cumana_2_mod.o, just incase 

The answer is that it is not supposed to be working just yet.  The code has
definitely moved on quite a bit since the copy that is on the FTP site, so
there's little point in modifing it - you'll just redo what I've been working
on, and probably wrongly.  I have a master plan concerning the AcornSCSI,
Cumana SCSI II, and some similar cards - it's called `lets do it the right
way and modularise it'. ;)

I think you'll also find that that version of the driver contains no functions
to read data from the card...  Command 0x12 is the IDENTIFY command that asks
the device what it is.  It naturally returnes a block of data, which isn't
being transferred anywhere useful.

The later driver (unfinished, but nevertheless more unfinished than the
previous) can read data, but slowly (the CumanaSCSI II card seems to have a
problem if you read too much data from it without noticing that it has aborted
the data transfer - the net result is that you check for interrupt, read a byte
and repeat.  It's a mega turkey)!

Anyway, next preliminary driver version next weekend (0.0.5) should do something
more useful, maybe even usable!
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King        [email-masked]        --- ---
  | | | |    http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/home.html      /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |