Subject: Arm Linux Problem

From: Michael Short <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 97 14:03:00 PDT

I am having problems with my installation of ARM-Linux on my Acorn RiscPC

I have a the kernel booting, and then I insert my root disk, and press   
return.
There seems to be 2 parts of the installation..

the REDHAT setup begins and asks me to specify where to install from:

I choose IDE (ATAPI CD-ROM)

My cdrom is mounted as read only and then it seems to check the Volume   
label
and tell me that redhart linux is not on my cd-rom.

I have downloaded the /distrib/Redhat directory from the arm-linux
ftp archive.. I have made 3 CD's with the Redhat install files..

And I am frustrated now..

I do have a network card.. so maybe I could install through NFS..

I choose an install method and get to insert the supplement disk..
after it loads I can press F2 and get to a command prompt..

I try to mount my CDROM, but I can not get it to work, I keep getting an   
error saying
it can not mount because it is a read only file system..

I do this..

#mknod /dev/hdb b 3 64
#mkdir /cdrom
#mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /cdrom

then I get the error message..

If I could get the cdrom to mount, I might be able to get RedHat   
Installed..

I have been using the install text that is on the ftp server..
it has been most helpful..

anyhow..

If anyone knows how I can get my CD-rom to mount properly,
or how I can efficiently install REdhat on my RiscPC I would
greatly appreciate it..

 -Mike Short
[email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 10:06:46 +0100 (BST)

> ftp archive.. I have made 3 CD's with the Redhat install files..

The directory structure (which I would have expected to be on the
RedHat web site - there are links off my pages to their site) on the
CD Rom MUST be:

/RedHat/RPMS
/RedHat/base
/RedHat/instimage

If you don't have this, then the CD ROM will not be recognised.  Let
me know if it isn't on the RedHat site and I'll ammend my pages.
[btw, before you complain why I haven't done that yet it's because
 contary to what everyone seems to believe, I don't have a fast
 permanent network connection to browse the web].

> after it loads I can press F2 and get to a command prompt..

Erm, no.  If you choose NFS, you don't get to use the supplemental
disk.  It instead mounts the machine name you give it, and runs the
second stage installer from there.  (Alt-F2 to switch to command
prompt).

> error saying it can not mount because it is a read only file system..

Erm, no again.  If you choose NFS, it expects the files to be on
a remote machine, again with similar structure to that above.

> #mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /cdrom

The RedHat mount is rather dumb - you can't tell it to mount readonly.
Mail RedHat about this please!

> it has been most helpful..

The install text is supposed to be brief yet concise for the initial
stages of the installation - it doesn't go into how to use the RedHat
installer.  Details of this are available on the RedHat Web site.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King        [email-masked]        --- ---
  | | | |    http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/home.html      /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |