Subject: errors in /usr/include/ files?

From: Bernhard Mogens Ege <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 12:49:14 GMT

Hi,

I was just trying to install Angband 2.8.2 but failed. After setting up
the config,h-config, Makefile files I let it compile (make).

It failed as it could not determine what speed_t was. This was when
including termcap.h. Following all the #include's that termcap.h did I
finally found speed_t in asm/termbits.h. Strange, I thought, as it was
defined but it still failed. I then discovered that it was not
/usr/include/termcap.h that gave the problem, but
/usr/arm-unknown-linuxaout/include/termcap.h!

What is this arm-unknown-aoutlinux directory about? And why does it
contain include-files that doesn't work?

Well, I rename that directory so gcc wouldn't find it and recompiled. I
managed to compile everything, but I could not link. Among the link
errors was the symbol __strtol_internal, that could not be resolved. It
is defined in /usr/include/stdlib.h so I should think it would be in a
library, too, right?

The third strangeness is about /usr/include/ncurses.h. It seems to
include a file <unctrl.h> that should be included as
<ncurses/unctrl.h>. Should the files in /usr/include/ncurses/ be copied
to /usr/include/ ? (which does seem correct, even as it would overwrite
the old curses.h)

I am confused, what is correct and what is not?

Bernhard

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Bernhard Mogens Ege, M.Sc.E.E.  |           | E-mail:      [email-masked]
 Laboratory of Image Analysis    |      /(   | Direct call:   +45 96 35 87 85
 Institute of Electronic Systems |   ._//(   | Switchboard:   +45 96 35 80 80
 Aalborg University              |  /  |  \  | Fax:           +45 98 15 40 08
 Frederik Bajersvej 7, D1-205    |  A  A  U  | Homepage:
 DK-9220 Aalborg East            |           | http://www.vision.auc.dk/~bme
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Home: H.C.Andersens Vej 26 st.mf., DK-9000 Aalborg, Phone: +45 20 42 99 26
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 13:31:43 +0100 (BST)

> contain include-files that doesn't work?

This is where GCC installs its private header files.  The problem is that
we're still using the a.out libc 4.  This is why stuff is breaking.

> is defined in /usr/include/stdlib.h so I should think it would be in a

Uuuuhhh.. I think you need to tell GCC to link against its own internal
library (it probably disabled this when it couldn't find its own library)
ohh.. hang on.  Just rename the include directory, otherwise GCC can't
find its internal library.

> to /usr/include/ ? (which does seem correct, even as it would overwrite

Don't know.  I'd be inclined to fix the ncurses.h file.  Anyone know?