Subject: Re: Compiling kernel with non-gcc tool (ARM SDT 2.1)

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 09:04:25 +0100 (BST)

> are there anyone that can recommend me using any other tool than gcc for
> compiling the kernel? I have access to ARM Software Development Toolkit
> under Windows NT.
> 
> The reason why I'm asking is that I have heard that there's a lot of
> heavily dependant in-line stuff for gcc in the kernel sources.

That's right.  The kernel is extremely dependent on gcc, porting it to
another C compiler is non-trivial.  Your best bet is to run GCC on your
WinNT machine.  Try
ftp://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/packages/gnu/cygnus/gnu-win32/

---

From: David Alan Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 09:55:09 +0000

Olof Backing wrote:
> Hello,

I think thats true and on that basis I think it would be a big job to try it.
Build gcc for cross compilation and it will do the trick, although I don't
know what the issues are with doing it from Win NT.

Dave
-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
- David Alan Gilbert - WARNING! This is a beta release .signature    -
- Work:    dg @ cogency.co.uk        -    0161-428-9444              -
- Home:    gro.gilbert @ treblig.org -                               -
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 09:37:18 +0100 (BST)

> heavily dependant in-line stuff for gcc in the kernel sources.

Yep there is a lot of gcc dependant extension use, embedded assembly code
and other more subtle things - the code is optimised in general to make best
use of the way gcc generates code.

Alan

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 09:30:03 +0100

>heavily dependant in-line stuff for gcc in the kernel sources.

That's correct.  You'll have a hard time getting it to compile with anything 
else.  Why do you want to; maybe there is another way to do what you're after.

p.