Subject: What libc in ARM Linux?

From: Olof Backing <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 16:07:12 +0200

Hello,
what libc is the ARM Linux port based on?

/Olof

Olof Backing     Net Insight AB              Phone: +46-8 449 22 36
                 Ingenjörsvägen 3, 2tr       Fax:   +46-8 449 22 40
                 S-117 43 Stockholm          mailto:[email-masked]
                 Sweden                      http://www.netinsight.se

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 15:16:31 +0100 (BST)

> what libc is the ARM Linux port based on?

libc 4.  Since we do not yet have ELF, libc 5 is a no-go.  Though, since
we wll presumably skip libc 5 and move straight to libc 6 once we do have
ELF, a case could be made for doing an a.out libc 5.  It all depends if
someone feels it's worth the effort.  It probably isn't.

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 21:14:47 +0100 (BST)

>From the last email/news that I've heard, ELF is pretty close for ARM...

I think that someone did try glibc, and I think that they got it going
with static libraries.  Obviously this isn't good since every binary will
be at least 100k in length (or there abouts).
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King        [email-masked]        --- ---
  | | | |    http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/home.html      /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |