Subject: Compiling ArmLinux Kernel Source

From: Michael Short <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 97 12:03:00 PDT

I have successfully patched the source for
the 2.0.30 linux kernel.

I am about to try configuring the kernel and compiling it, but I have   
many questions.

I am going to compile the kernel on an intel based 486 machine, I then   
wish to
take the kernel on a floppy over to my RiscPC, and try it out.

What modifications need to be done to the files on the 486 machine, or   
what versions of compilers/tools/utils should be installed?

do I need to patch certain files/packages? do I need arm linux files that   
are included in the RedHat ArmLinux Distrib?

Which files would I need and where in the distrib are they located, and   
where on the i486 linux box
directory tree should these files go?

this may be simple for some, but I am looking to get all the files   
neccessary together and get compiling..
I find this to be rather confusing.. any documentation on this would be   
nice..
I may have overlooked a FAQ, or README file..

I hope someone can help with these questions..

also suggestions would be nice..

I have not attempted to compile anything as of yet, I wanted to ask about   
the above items first.. thanx..

 -M Short
[email-masked]