Subject: Loopmount

From: Jan Magnussen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 00:15:19 +0200

How do I loopmount a vfat formatted imagefile found on my hda1 (adfs).
I am trying to install ARMLinux via this file, which contain all the RedHat
installation files and RPMs.
And when mounted, how do I select that partition in the 'locate installation
files' menu.

BTW: I have already loaded the 'loop.o' module.

Regards,

Jan Magnussen
http://www.kom.auc.dk/~janm
Fidonet : 2:234/181.8

---

From: Ale Terlevich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 09:45:02 +0100 (BST)

> BTW: I have already loaded the 'loop.o' module.

  Have you compiled your own kernel?  I can't find a loop.o module with 
the latest precompiled one (I use the procompiled one rather than my own 
for the sound.o module :) )

  Anyway, as for loopback, you'll probably need to go and grab losetup 
from somewhere. It's not in ArmLinux, but is on slackware. Hopefuly it'll 
compile OK.

  I suspect we really need to use RedHat4 rather than 3 (Isn't that what 
we're using now?), as 3 is getting a bit long in the tooth now...

LOSETUP(8)             MAINTENANCE COMMANDS            LOSETUP(8)

NAME
       losetup - set up and control loop devices

SYNOPSIS
       losetup [ -e encryption ] [ -o offset ] loop_device file
       losetup [ -d ] loop_device

Ale.

---

From: Jan Magnussen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 00:27:40 +0200

> for the sound.o module :) )

The loop.o is in :
ftp://ftp.arm.uk.linux.org/pub/armlinux/distrib/kernels/modules-rpc-1997.09.07.gz

>        losetup [ -d ] loop_device

Im sorry, but I cannot use losetup before I have installed ARMLinux, and I can't
install Linux before :
a) I get that imagefile mounted, or
b) I get a kernel that can read my ICS IDEFS interface (The current one reports
a lot of irq timeouts on the disc connected to ICS IDEFS)

So what I really need is a what I have to write to mount that imagefile e.g.
mknod /dev/hda1 b 3 1
mount -t adfs /dev/hda1 /hda1
/sbin/insmod /hda1/loop.o
mount -t vfat /hda1/ARMLinux -o loop

or something like that.

Then how to select that partition in the 'locate installation files' menu (the
only option now is /dev/hda3 - no /dev/hda1)

Or a kernel that supports my ICS IDEFS.

regards,

Jan Magnussen

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 21:02:00 +0100 (BST)

> we're using now?), as 3 is getting a bit long in the tooth now...

One of the problems I've found with RedHat 3.0 is that the FTP is definitely
*not* compliant with the RFC specs - it only sends CRs, not CRLFs.  This breaks
some RiscOS FTP software, and I don't doubt other peoples FTPds as well.

I have looked into the RedHat 4 installer, but there is very little
documentation on the actual installer itself (except for source code), and
nothing to tell you anywhere how to set up an installation filesystem.  RedHat 4
is a lot more complicated, and will take longer to sort out and get running than
RedHat 3 has.

I have already started to look into RH4, but until I get my full complement of
mass storage media back (Syquest are still stalling), I can't do anything to modify
the distribution.  (I'm now phoning them up *twice* a week, and just saying 'What's
the news?'  They reply 'Still waiting for Germany to send the drives back'.  And
then we have a discussion about how stupid this situation is since the old drive
worked with the cartridges that I need to work on the distribution, and isn't
there any way to hurry the return up).

My solution - never buy any hardware - it always fails and will always take
more than one month to fix/send replacement.  [Current list of manufacturers
with poor record: Syquest, Quantum].

Maybe I ought to put up a web page telling people about the current delay to the
project, giving exact details!
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King        [email-masked]        --- ---
  | | | |    http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/home.html      /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: "FABIAN PATINO (BIANCCIO)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 15:05:58 -0500 (EST)

i need help. i got problems to acces like root in my linux terminal, maybe
some body change the permission. how i can to acces again?