Subject: success compiling a kernel, but...

From: Bernhard Mogens Ege <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 07:04:38 GMT

Hi,

I managed to fetch v.2.0.31pre9 (and patch it with the arm stuff). I
also managed to do a make menuconfig and used it to configure the kernel
I want. I made a make dep; make clean; make zImage

make zImage wouldn't work (complained about not being able to find a
rule for /usr/src/linux/vmlinux). I am not that familiar with makefiles
so I tried to do a make all (which should make a uncompressed
kernel). It did make an uncompressed kernel. :-)

So far so good. I typed make modules (as I did configure som of the
extensions as modules) and it failed to compile soundcard.c. It seems as
the sound-config.h was never created and could therefore not be
included, leading to lots of errors.

My sound settings where to enable sound as a module, enable VIDC sound
and the usage of /dev/audio and /dev/dsp. I did visit the setup menu for
the other sound-cards, but they appeared only to be for dos-boxes so I
typed N for each card, which made the configure script say something
about useless options after which it was overwritten by menuconfig
screen.

So, I guess that I may have misconfigured the sound thingy, but the make
zImage should work, right (the README.arm file said it should).

I was wondering, should ARMLinux really occupy 280Mb (include kernel
source) if one was to install everything on the ftp-site? I only have
10Mb left on my 292Mb partition. I was hoping it would consume less...

Bernhard

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Bernhard Mogens Ege, M.Sc.E.E.  |           | E-mail:      [email-masked]
 Laboratory of Image Analysis    |      /(   | Direct call:   +45 96 35 87 85
 Institute of Electronic Systems |   ._//(   | Switchboard:   +45 96 35 80 80
 Aalborg University              |  /  |  \  | Fax:           +45 98 15 40 08
 Frederik Bajersvej 7, D1-205    |  A  A  U  | Homepage:
 DK-9220 Aalborg East            |           | http://www.vision.auc.dk/~bme
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Home: H.C.Andersens Vej 26 st.mf., DK-9000 Aalborg, Phone: +45 20 42 99 26
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Ale Terlevich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 10:27:02 +0100 (BST)

> kernel). It did make an uncompressed kernel. :-)

  Yep. Same for me. After doing a make all, I then did a make zImage and 
it worked.

> included, leading to lots of errors.

  It worked fine for me. May I suggest that you try make config instead 
of make menuconfig?

> zImage should work, right (the README.arm file said it should).

  Yep, it should.

> 10Mb left on my 292Mb partition. I was hoping it would consume less...

 Sounbds about right, but if you only have a 292MB partition, Why do you 
want all the stuff from the FTP site?  I suggest you get rid of some of 
it (using rpm -e).

Ale.

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 20:14:28 +0100 (BST)

> I want. I made a make dep; make clean; make zImage

I don't know why Linus says to make dep, then clean.  I've always
made clean, then dep.

> kernel). It did make an uncompressed kernel. :-)

Yep - I removed the dependencies in arch/arm/Makefile (and forgot to
reinstate them before generating the patches - sorry).  You will have to
make all zImage.

> about useless options after which it was overwritten by menuconfig

I haven't actually tried make menuconfig lately, but I would have thought
that there should be very little difference between it and make xconfig.
I'll have a look at that and see what's going on.

> 10Mb left on my 292Mb partition. I was hoping it would consume less...

You could remove the packages that you don't want - rpm -e <package-name>

To get a list, use rpm -qia.  For information on rpm, type rpm --help.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King        [email-masked]        --- ---
  | | | |    http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/home.html      /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |