Subject: Re: Latest kernel in development?

From: David Alan Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 13:41:50 +0000

Olof Backing wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> what about the latest release that people are working on? I have the need
> and the time of going for (ie. porting) the latest kernel
> (2.1.something-like-55-or-so) since I need the support for ROMFS and serial
> console. Anyone with me?

We would all like to be running the latest 2.1. kernels but unfortunatly the
elves are against us.

Until there is a definition for ARM ELF and then patches to GCC, binutils for it
we are stufed.
ARM have been promising the definition for ages now but so far I have
seen very little.

The 2.0.31 patches seem to work (give or take some nasties),
and I know some stuff has emerged into the 2.0.31 kernels
from the 2.1. series - but I doubt its everything you need.

As for 2.0.31 - the 2.0.31-9 patch seems to work on the old (A4xx) machines
with some minor tweaks, although at the moment the determination of MFM 
disc sizes seems to have broken as does the ether1 support (which works on 
other machines). On the positive side 2.0.31 seems to be SIGNIFICANTLY 
faster on the old machines; I mean shockingly faster; I mean it might
actually be usable! And we don't know why.....

Dave

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
- David Alan Gilbert - WARNING! This is a beta release .signature    -
- Work:    dg @ cogency.co.uk        -    0161-428-9444              -
- Home:    gro.gilbert @ treblig.org -                               -
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 13:57:31 +0100 (BST)

> ARM have been promising the definition for ages now but so far I have

The definition is irrelevant. If ARM can't get themselves sorted out then 
declare an ARM "FreeELF" standard and use it. It's rarely worth sitting on
your arse waiting for a large standards type organisation to do something.

Alan

---

From: Garan Jenkin MSS <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 16:48:45 +0000

>your arse waiting for a large standards type organisation to do something.

Yes - what do you think Russell?

Garan