Subject: patching source..

From: Michael Short <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 97 15:25:00 PDT

I have dounwloaded the source for

kernel version 2.0.30

I am attempting to patch the source, and I have come across a few   
problems..

I do not know if these problems will affect my ability to properly   
configure.make a new kernel..

there is a file trying to be patched

/usr/src/linux/kernel/ksyms.ver    this file does not exist..

I went to another terminal and did this:

touch /usr/src/linux/kernel/ksyms.ver

told patch where to find the file..
then it generated 2 new files

/usr/src/linux/kernel/ksyms.ver.o0rig
/usr/src/linux/kernel/ksyms.ver.rej

I renamed the ksyms.ver.rej to ksyms.ver

I do onot know if what I did was wrong, but hey.. I dont know what else   
to do..

If you know what to do, or if you have the correctly patched ksyms.ver   
file pleae email it
to me..

 -M Short
[email-masked]

---

From: Ale Terlevich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 10:02:08 +0100 (BST)

> /usr/src/linux/kernel/ksyms.ver    this file does not exist..

  Dunno if this is the 'official' answer, but I just ignored it and the 
compile worked fine!

  Ale.

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 20:15:50 +0100 (BST)

>   Dunno if this is the 'official' answer, but I just ignored it and the 

It isn't actually used in the compilation!  I'm not sure why I seem to have
one there, actually.  It may be left over from the 1.3 kernels (I patched
upwards from there to my current 2.0.31 kernel).
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King        [email-masked]        --- ---
  | | | |    http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/home.html      /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |