Subject: New supplemental disk

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 23:41:15 +0100 (BST)

The new supplemental disk has been uploaded to the FTP site - it should
now work correctly with DeltaNet, as well as some other FTP servers
out there.

Any `solution requests' (or problem reports if you're a pessimist) with
any program with ARM Linux should include the version numbers of the
programs concerned.  I am currently having to guess which versions
people are using, and although I'm mostly right, I'd like to know this
sooner (ie. your first mail, not your second).

This will speed up the response time.

Thankyou for your cooperation.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |       Russell King        [email-masked]         --- ---
  | | | | http://whirligig.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~rmk92/home.html  /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Henry Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 20:15:56 +0100 (BST)

> now work correctly with DeltaNet, as well as some other FTP servers

I'm using Alphanet, and this does make the installer get further - it says

   "Retrieving base/hdlist"

On the Alphanet log it says:

   "Connection accepted from 1.104.116.53" (this machine I'm installing on
   "Anonymous login OK for rhinstall@"

But then it doesn't mention any file/list requests.  The supplementary disk
image I'm using is the one uploaded on 18.8.97.

On another note:

  Using PartMan 1.05 (25-May-1997) I created the following partitions on 
my drive:

 1       0 - 5177087    2528MB  Filecore
 2 5177088 - 5177089       1KB  Table
 3 5177090 - 6078210     440MB  Linux native
 4 6078211 - 6185087      52MB  Linux swap
 
 However the RedHat installer tells me that I don't have a swap parition
for Linux, and asks me if I want to Continue or repartition my hard drive
(Cancel).  How do I tell it that I have set up the swap partition?

My xommputer is a Risc PC StrongARM, with an ATAPI CD ROM, 3GB HD, 26MB,
16bit sound.

Any help much appreciated.

-- 
Henry Morgan, Technical Manager
Carlton Software                            mailto:[email-masked]
Felmersham Road, Carlton, Bedford MK43 7NA   http://www.carltsw.demon.co.uk/
E&OE - Information given in good faith - Views stated are mine and mine only

---

From: Ian Hinder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 21:20:37 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>
          [email-masked] wrote:

> The new supplemental disk has been uploaded to the FTP site - it
> should now work correctly with DeltaNet, as well as some other FTP
> servers out there.

Thanks for the update.  Unfortunately, it doesn't get any further than
before :-(.  It seems to connect, but even though it says it is
retrieving the base/hdlist file, I'm not sure it has got that far.  If
I type in a nonsense filename, it does exactly the same thing; i.e.
waits after displaying the base/hdlist message (it times out after a
minute) then returns to the download dialogue box.

I can't find any option in DeltaNet to increase its logging level; it
just gives the same messages as I gave in my previous posting.

Russell; do you want to arrange a time for me to be online so that you
can test the deltanet server?  Send me an email to sort out details if
'yes'.

Thanks for everyone's help so far!

-- 
I a n  H i n d e r
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 14:58:01 +0100 (BST)

> can test the deltanet server?  Send me an email to sort out details if

I have found (hopefully) the final bug with this - the command directly
after the PASS login is a PASV to put the server into passive mode.

The problem is that it was being sent as PASV\r - missing the '\n'.

This has been fixed in the supplemental-1997.08.20 disk.

For those who are downloading via modem, I know it's a pain to keep
having to download these disks.  There is a way to shorten the time (and
the file size).  When you get a directory listing, it shows:

-rw-r--r--   1 src      src       1457600 Aug 20 14:02 supplemental-1997.08.20

If you ask this ftp server for a file named `supplemental-1997.08.20', it
will give you 1457600 bytes worth of data - the raw disk.  However, if
you ask the server for `supplemental-1997.08.20.gz', the server will send
you around 601530 bytes - it compresses the disk on the fly as it downloads
it to you.  This does of course, require you to have the capability to
unarchive gzip files, particularly recent gzip files.

I *think* that SparkFS may well be able to handle gzips, but I've not tried
this out.  I have however heard reports of some versions of !Gzip not
ungzipping correctly.

So, if you feel unsure about your ability to ungzip files, then I would
recommend that you get the ungzipped version, otherwise you could run
into more problems.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |       Russell King        [email-masked]         --- ---
  | | | | http://whirligig.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~rmk92/home.html  /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Joseph Heenan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 18:38:56 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>

> just gives the same messages as I gave in my previous posting.

I don't know where the option is in the full version - I suspect
there may not be one. In the shareware version, you can edit the
!Configure file, and setting the debug level to 9 logs *everything*
sent on the control channel, as far as I remember.

Btw, if you haven't noticed, the redhat installer does (I think)
produce debugging/progress information on consoles 3 to 6 or
something, I've no idea if looking there would help or not though.

(As an aside, I've just searched through my email archive, and failed
to find any reference to the other problem with deltanet that I'm
sure exists. It definetely needs \r\n terminated lines, as Russell
mentioned, but I'm sure there was one other problem. I thought it was
something to do with PASV, but I can't find anything wrong with it
atm. It doesn't support STOU, but I can hardly see the RedHat
installer using that... :-) )

HTH,

Joseph

-- 
Joseph Heenan, Coventry, UK
mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: Ian Hinder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 21:54:37 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>

> something, I've no idea if looking there would help or not though.

How would I access this?

I have just downloaded the unregistered deltanet and will look for the
logging option and report back.  The latest (20-Aug-97) suppimg disc
behaves differently to the last ones; it pops up the window saying it
is looking for the host name for longer, and almost instantly
times out when it tries to get base/hdlist.  Registered DeltaNet says

Wed 20 Aug, 21:44.33: in.ftpd: Connect from 1.0.0.1 [10]
Wed 20 Aug, 21:44.33: in.ftpd: Login OK for ian [10]
Wed 20 Aug, 21:44.33: in.ftpd: Connect from 1.0.0.1 [12]
Wed 20 Aug, 21:44.33: in.ftpd: Connection closed [10]
Wed 20 Aug, 21:44.33: DeltaNet: Select entry not found for removing [12]

Anonymous and non-anonymous ftp both give the same results, and giving
a wrong password gives a different (correct) error message, so it
seems to be getting past the login (as confirmed by the logs).

-- 
I a n  H i n d e r
[email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 10:00:07 +0100

>this out.

It can indeed handle them.

p.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 14:46:15 +0100 (BST)

> image I'm using is the one uploaded on 18.8.97.

I'm going to upload a new supplemental disk soon (20.8.97) which should fix this
problem.

>  4 6078211 - 6185087      52MB  Linux swap

Try running the installer, using the supplemental disk as you have been,
and then type on console 2 (alt-F2), /usr/bin/fdisk /dev/hda.  fdisk will
then print a menu entry.  Use `p' to list the partition table, `q' to quit.

It should say that /dev/hda5 has an Id. of 82, which is Linux swap.  Could
you confirm this?

> (Cancel).  How do I tell it that I have set up the swap partition?

It should detect it.  The installer runs the above command to get the
partition information, and is the first place to look for problems.  The other
thing is that I hope you're using a newish root disk (around late July)?
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |       Russell King        [email-masked]         --- ---
  | | | | http://whirligig.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~rmk92/home.html  /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Henry Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 22:04:15 +0100 (BST)

> I'm going to upload a new supplemental disk soon (20.8.97) which should fix this

Fixed it thanks.

> then print a menu entry.  Use `p' to list the partition table, `q' to quit.

I get the error "file or directory /dev/hda" not found.  At the prompt
I typed "cd /dev", and then "ls" to see what was there, and it only
listed:

tty1
tty2
tty3
tty4
tty5
tty6

> It should say that /dev/hda5 has an Id. of 82, which is Linux swap.  Could

No - see the above error.  When I get the prompt about not having a swap
partition it gives me the option of partitioning my disk - in this
I can list the partitions, and none are displayed.

> thing is that I hope you're using a newish root disk (around late July)?

I've just tried it with the latest one on the FTP site, and it didn't work :-(

I posted another message, on a different (new thread) about this, as I had
got the FTP working, and thought non one was going to reply to my message - 
sorry!

Hope you can get me sorted, thanks,