Subject: second hard disc.

From: Garan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 20:28:08 +0100

Hi

The plan to go scsi has failed due to lack of cash.  However, can I plug
another IDE hard disc onot my RiscPC?  I have one small one already and a CD
rom drive.  How many devices can it take?  Also, I'd have no room in my
single slice to put it!

Thanks

Garan
-- 
garan @ digiserve . com       garanj @ etoncomp . demon . co . uk

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 22:04:28 +0100 (BST)

> rom drive.  How many devices can it take?  Also, I'd have no room in my

The maximum number of IDE `devices' you can have on an interface is 2.  If
your CD ROM drive is on the same cable that your IDE hard disk is, then
you'll have to make a choice between a second IDE disk and a CD ROM drive.

The alternative is to get another IDE interface (ICS/RapIDE currently `in
support' under Linux - ie. attempt to write driver, but not yet complete/
tested).

For the the ICS IDE interface, I have an official fax detailing the tech
info on the I/F and the partitioning scheme.

Take your pick if you want a second interface, but if you want to use
the interface under Linux, be prepared to either:

a) be able to report problems with the interface with sufficient detail.
b) sort any problems out yourself.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |       Russell King        [email-masked]         --- ---
  | | | | http://whirligig.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~rmk92/home.html  /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |