Subject: Ftp failure

From: Ian Hinder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 12:36:12 +0100

I'm still having problems with FTP - can no one help??? :-(

I can't even get past the installation stage because the ftp session
can't seem to get going; I posted a plea for help but no one
answered... Surely people here must be running armlinux of
some form and managed to install it?

My original message was as follows:

> It keeps stopping when it says 'Retrieving base/hdlist...' or
> similar.  The DeltaNet in/out arrows on the other machine go red, so
> contact is being made, but it just sits there for about a minute
> then returns to the screen for entering setup information.
> 
> The logs on the ftp server say
> 'Connect from zen'
> 'Login OK for ian'
> 'Connection closed'
> 
> I can ftp the file using Risc OS and sftp or Fresco, but linux
> doesn't seem to want to play.  Could it be that I am using
> 'illegal' IP addresses?  I am using 1.0.0.1 and 1.0.0.2, which
> (IIRC) are allocated to Sun.  This shouldn't be a problem should it?
> 
> Also, when I cancel and return to the page where I enter the linux
> machine's IP address and netmask etc, if I alter certain parts, it
> puts a tacky message saying 'rebooting system' and then hangs. 
> ctrl-alt-del is required.
> 
> Anyone got any ideas?  Also, how does everyone else get the
> main distribution RPMS files?  Downloading them with a 28K modem
> would seem to be a little expensive!

-- 
I a n  H i n d e r
[email-masked]

---

From: Ale Terlevich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 17:45:11 +0100 (BST)

> some form and managed to install it?

  Exactly, I had no such problems!  The only problem was that occationaly 
the FTP server would time out, but then I just got a little window up 
asking if I wanted to retry for that file. I just pressed return and it 
went off and got it just fine!

  However the ftp site I got it from was ftp.arm.uk.linux.org 
(or whatever it main armlinux site is called, I forget).
It wouldn't surprise me if your problem is actually the FTP server 
you're running on the other machine (DeltaNet you said?) not behaving 
properly.

  Sorry I can't be of more help!

Ale.

---

From: Deborah Wallach <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 11:24:32 -0700

This is the exact problem I am having.  Unfortunately, the ftp session
sometimes hangs cleanly (and I get a window popped up asking if I want to
retry), and sometimes does not (the riscpc just sits there doing nothing,
alledgedly waiting for data).  Since I can't seem to download all the files
without it hanging uncleanly at least once, I never get past this portion
of the install.

*****Is there any way to interrupt the redhat installer while it's
downloading a file and get it to retry downloading that file?*****

			-Debby Wallach

---

From: Joseph Heenan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 20:37:15 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>

> some form and managed to install it?

I am, but I installed via nfs rather than ftp.

> > The logs on the ftp server say

I think you *may* be falling foul of deltanet. AFAICR, in one or two
small area is isn't 100% RFC compliant. I'm afraid I can't remember
which areas, though. One is when you make a new directory, but that
obviously isn't an issue here...

If you turn the logging level on deltanet upto full, you should(/may)
be able to see what's going wrong, but where you go from there, I've
no idea.

Joseph

-- 
Joseph Heenan, Coventry, UK
mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 23:07:25 +0100 (BST)

> be able to see what's going wrong, but where you go from there, I've

In fact, I think that the RedHat FTP code may be to blame.  Most other
FTP clients att a \r\n at the end of each line, and return a \r\n
as well.  However, most FTP servers seem to accept \n, except DeltaNet.

I'm not sure if this is a bug in DeltaNet or not (all the RPC's that I
wanted to look at were `not online'!)

Anyway, dispite having two attempts at fixing this problem with \r\n,
it still has a problem with base/hdlist, the first file it wants to
transfer.

I will upload a new supplemental disk very soon which should correct
this problem and will remove the old disk images that are faulty.

Sorry for any inconvience.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |       Russell King        [email-masked]         --- ---
  | | | | http://whirligig.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~rmk92/home.html  /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Deborah Wallach <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 17:44:14 -0700

Date: 	Mon, 18 Aug 1997 11:24:32 -0700
   From: Deborah Wallach <[email-masked]>

I found my problem!  I added 64 MB to the riscpc (it only had 8 to start
with), and now the ftp proceeds (more-or-less) cleanly (sometimes I get a
window popped up asking for a retry, but never does it hang completely).
Unfortunately, I've developed a new problem.  After the ftp finishes, I
get asked a bunch more setup things, and proceed through them happily.
However, just after I select an initial root password, the installer pops
up a window that says "I couldn't find a kernel!".  In the upper right hand
corner of the screen is a little note saying it's in the 'Install
bootloader' part of the install.  The only option is to click 'ok' at this
point, and playing with the 'Previous', 'Retry', and 'Menu' options of the
ensuing 'Error Window' get me nowhere (it continues not to find the kernel,
and eventually tries to reboot the machine).

I've tried running LinConfig at this point, but that doesn't seem to do
anything (even after clicking 'Save', the hard disk light doesn't light,
restarting LinConfig doesn't show any saved info, and running !Linux
directly pops up an error window saying 'Can't open configuration file
<Linux$Choices>'.  I've been telling it the kernel location is *ADFS::4.0.

The version of LinConfig that I'm using is 1.10.
The verison of Linux that I'm using is 3.13.

Thanks in advance for any help.

			-Debby

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 09:57:00 +0100 (BST)

> as well.  However, most FTP servers seem to accept \n, except DeltaNet.

The correct sequence is \r\n. I'd be suprised if the redhat client is wrong
as its the BSD code and the base of just about every ftp client. However
its always possible.

Alan

---

From: Ale Terlevich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 10:33:47 +0100 (BST)

> and eventually tries to reboot the machine).

  Ok, here's what I did at this point.

go back to riscos

  Copy the kernel onto a DOS floppy

  boot the kernel (!linux -bootkernel whawtever-your-kernel's-called)
when it asks for extra args, type
root=/dev/hda3 (Assuming your root partition is in the same place as 
mine, i.e. first after RiscOS on your first IDE HD)

  This will boot linux off your HD!  You now have linux running

Copy the kernel off the DOS floppy (man mtools) and rename it as /vmlinux
(You need to be root to do this)

To install the bootloader (The bit that fails in the install)
make a file called /etc/boot.conf with contents such as 

# Linux 2.0.30 block with no ramdisk.
kernel {
        name = "Linux 2.0.30";
        path = "/vmlinux";
        root = "/dev/hda3";
        ramdisk = 0;
        flags = readonly;
};

 You may need to change this a bit to reflect your disk setup

Then type

loadmap -v

 You can now reboot (CTRL_ALT_DEL) and try the !linux app with the 
*ADFS::0 kernel (or whatever the syntax is)

  Hope this helps!

Ale.

---

From: Deborah Wallach <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 18:07:52 -0700

Thanks!  That solved the first part of that problem (getting a vmlinux),
and I also figured out how to get !Linux to automatically start (the
LinConfig application did not work for me, and I had to put a Config file
by hand into the !Boot/Choices/Linux directory.

I have one correction to your mail:

loadmap did not recognize the root device until I added the following
statement to the boot.conf file:

config {
     root = "/dev/hda3";
};

(having the root specified in the kernel block wasn't enough).

At any rate, I now have linux running on my machine.  Thanks again to
everyone for all your help!

			-Debby

   Date: 	Tue, 19 Aug 1997 10:33:47 +0100 (BST)
   From: Ale Terlevich <[email-masked]>
   Cc: [email-masked]
   Mime-Version: 1.0
   Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
   X-Orcpt: rfc822;[email-masked]
   Sender: [email-masked]
   Precedence: bulk

   go back to riscos

   Then type

   loadmap -v

     Hope this helps!

   Ale.