Subject: Re: Problems...

From: Ian Hinder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 22:00:17 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>
          Ale Terlevich <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > I have now hit another snag.  I was going to use ftp to get the
> > installation files into the linux partition from another RPC
> > across ethernet, but the linux bootup sequence / installer says it
> > can't find my EtherH card anywhere on the system!
> 
>   Hmm. I have an EtherH card and it works fine. How much RAM do you
> have? If you have >=24Mb, then  you must make sure that you're using
> the latest  kernel (rpc-2.0.30-20071997) and root/supplemental
> disks. These have a  bug in the module loaders fixed so that they
> work with >=24MB RAM systems.
> 
>   I had the same problem as you, but it was just that the etherh.o
> module  couldn't be loaded. It was cured by using the latest disks!

Once again, my sincerest thanks!  This seemed to work a charm; I don't
know why I didn't download the latest one the first time though...

It looks like the symbolic link which is supposed to point to one of
the 06-08 files is actually pointing to a 08-06 file instead; this
could have been the reason.

Unfortunately, whilst this problem has been solved (it can detect the
ethernet card) I still can't seem to install :-(

It keeps stopping when it says
'Retrieving base/hdlist...' or similar.  The DeltaNet in/out arrows on
the other machine go red, so contact is being made, but it just sits
there for about a minute then returns to the screen for entering setup
information.

The logs on the ftp server say
'Connect from zen'
'Login OK for ian'
'Connection closed'

I can ftp the file using Risc OS and sftp or Fresco, but linux
doesn't seem to want to play.  Could it be that I am using
'illegal' IP addresses?  I am using 1.0.0.1 and 1.0.0.2, which
(IIRC) are allocated to Sun.  This shouldn't be a problem should it?

Also, when I cancel and return to the page where I enter the linux
machine's IP address and netmask etc, if I alter certain parts, it
puts a tacky message saying 'rebooting system' and then hangs. 
ctrl-alt-del is required.

Anyone got any ideas?  Also, how does everyone else get the
main distribution RPMS files?  Downloading them with a 28K modem
would seem to be a little expensive!

-- 
I a n  H i n d e r
[email-masked]