Subject: RedHat installer problem (hanging)

From: Deborah Wallach <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 10:41:39 -0700

Hi,

I've been trying to install Linux on my StrongARM-based Riscpc, and have
hit a snag.  I've faithfully followed all of the steps in the installation
document up to Step 12 (the Linux installation screen).  I get the Linux
installation screen, and I get fairly far along in the installation, but it
inevitably fails before the installation finishes.

This occurs whether I use the ftp or nfs method of installation.  With nfs,
it gets to the point where it asks me for my nfs server and pathname, then
goes to the next screen which remains blank forever.

With ftp, it dies in various different places.  Often it starts retrieving
RPMs, but then fairly early on just times out (the screen claims it is
still downloading file X; the ftp daemon on the ftp server logs that the
successful transfer of file X has occurred).  Sometimes I get an error
window saying 'fatal error copying RPM database' (while retrieving the base
comps file).  Sometimes I get an error window saying 'I cannot get file X
bad FTP server response', where X has been /pub/RedHat/base/comps or
/pub/RedHat/RPMS/SysVinit-2.64-7a2.arm.rpm, etc.  I've also seen 'RPM
install of arm-aout-libs failed'.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going wrong, or what other
installation paths I could try?  I have an EtherH card, I'm using the
latest and greatest images, RPMs, etc, and I'm running out of creative
ideas...

Thanks in advance.

			-Debby Wallach