Subject: Watford electronics IDE interfaces

From: James Craig <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 10:13:14 +0100 (BST)

I've got two A3000s with ARM3s and 4Mb kicking around here, which I
*think* are just within the minimum specification for running ARM linux.
The only problem I've got right now is that the IDE interfaces on them are
watford ones, which aren't supported. I have had a look through the IDEFS
code for the boards, and I think I can get the addresses for all the basic
IDE registers. There doesn't appear to be any interrupt support on the
board whatsoever, looking at the hardware. Is it likely that I'll be able
to hack the kernel into running with this IDE interface? (I'm used to
messing with the kernel on x86 machines, and I've pretty much got the
kernel cross-compiling OK... Still a little problem with DMA.) 

-- James Craig
   <[email-masked]>

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 11:39:16 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>, Ja
>kernel cross-compiling OK... Still a little problem with DMA.) 

You should be OK.  A basic IDE interface is pretty simple.  If you can find 
out the addresses of the registers then the chances are good that it will work.

Are you sure about the interrupt support?  I'd be surprised if there really 
wasn't any.  What signs are you looking for on the hardware?

p.

---

From: James Craig <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 20:12:45 +0100 (BST)

> wasn't any.  What signs are you looking for on the hardware?
Since it's just an A3000 minipodule, it's pretty easy to spot the actual
interrupt line on the edge connector. There's nothing connected to it
though.

-- James Craig

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 09:06:52 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>, Ja
>interrupt line on the edge connector. There's nothing connected to it

Bizarre.  You're sure there isn't a buried track?

I suppose it might just be a polled interface, but...

p.