Subject: Setting up partitions - help please!

From: Henry Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 21:40:27 +0100 (BST)

Hello,

  I've got my paritions setup in PartManager (v1.05) - a total of 4 partitions,
1: FileCore         2528MB
2: Table               1KB
3: Linux Native      440MB
4: Linux Swap         52MB

  However in the RedHat installer it tells me that I haven't got a 50MB or
bigger Swap partition.  It then gives me the chance to partition /hda  if
I do this and ask for a list of partitions to be given no partitions are
displayed.  If I continue with the installation I get told that I haven't
got a Linux Native partition (the installer FTPs successfully the 
base/hdlist file from the FTP site where the RedHat stuff is).

  Could you give me any help, as I feel I am getting so close to installong
it...

  The Kernel and Supplementary disc are the latest ones as of 10:00PM BST,
21/8 (I'm not sure of the version number).  I'm not sure of the version
of !Linux that I'm using - where do I find the version number?

  Any help very much appreciated.  The computer is a SA Risc PC.

-- 
Henry Morgan, Technical Manager
Carlton Software                            mailto:[email-masked]
Felmersham Road, Carlton, Bedford MK43 7NA   http://www.carltsw.demon.co.uk/
E&OE - Information given in good faith - Views stated are mine and mine only

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 10:44:14 +0100 (BST)

It sounds like you haven't run MAKEDEV.  This script is located in either
/dev or /sbin, depending how the RedHat distrib is set up.  I'm a
slackware man myself.

---

From: Henry Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 18:37:33 +0100 (BST)

> /dev or /sbin, depending how the RedHat distrib is set up.  I'm a

Ermm, I couldn't find makedev...  Is this only copied once the installation
program has been run?  I can't acutally get the install rpogram to pick up
my partitions :-(  Russell got me trying mknod, and checking with fdisk, 
but they don't appear.

Thanks, any ideas gratefully taken!

      ** Acorn & Epson approved dealer. Acorn registered developer **

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 13:25:54 +0100 (BST)

> /dev or /sbin, depending how the RedHat distrib is set up.  I'm a

He's not getting that far yet!  It shouldn't be necessary to run this script
anyway, since the devices are normally installed from a RPM.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |       Russell King        [email-masked]         --- ---
  | | | | http://whirligig.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~rmk92/home.html  /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |