Subject: RedHat installer - any problems

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 23:37:46 +0100 (BST)

Hi.

I have had a few reports about the RedHat installer saying:

    Bad FTP server response

When this happens, could people please have a look in /mnt/var/tmp:

Alt-F2
cd /mnt/var/tmp
ls -l

and report the files and sizes of the files that they find in there
for each Bad FTP server response.

A word of warning: it would appear (possibly) that something is amiss with
the Developer CD from Acorn.  I'm not exactly sure what the problem is, or
even if the problem exists...  This problem manifests itself by producing
zero length files in /mnt/var/tmp while the install is taking place, and
then after install the system does not allow logins.

When installing from the Developer CD, I recommend that you don't do a
CD install, but instead copy the RPMs off of the developer CD onto a FTP
server (if possible).  Then get off the ftp site (ftp.arm.uk.linux.org)
the newest RedHat/RPMS and RedHat/base files.

You should take all the RedHat/base files.  To obtain the new RedHat/RPMS
files, do not look in RedHat/RPMS, but look in RedHat/newrpms.  This
directory contains all the updated RPM packages that have been changed
since the release.  You only need to get the highest version-numbered
archives from that directory.

The version information is basically contained in the filename thus:
<package-name>-<package-version>-<release>.arm.rpm

You want the latest version and release of all packages.  The release
structure is:

OLD ----------------> NEWEST
5   5a1   5a2   5a3   5a4

This should allow the install to run a little more smoothly.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |       Russell King        [email-masked]         --- ---
  | | | | http://whirligig.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~rmk92/home.html  /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |