Subject: Any more feedback on ARM Linux?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 22:20:28 +0100 (BST)

Is there any more feedback around about what works, what doesn't work
etc with ARM Linux???  The mailing list appears to have quietened down
a bit!
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |       Russell King      [email-masked]         --- ---
  | | | | http://whirligig.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~rmk92/home.html  /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |      *  who wishes that he was in Hong Kong  *      ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: "Ka'Plaagh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 01:07:23 +0000

Russell (et al),

	I'm still in the middle of porting Linux to the EBSA-285 (21285
PCI/I20/Memory support chipset).  I had to divert back to to Alpha Linux
to port to the LX, that's working now, so back to StrongARM.  I still
haven't  built a working EBSA-110 kernel, but I know that it's running from
the right place in memory as I added in enough debug code.  Rather than
get that working, I thought that I'd concentrate on the EBSA-285 - it's
the same set of problems to solve.  There have been several offers of help
around ARM and ELF, I'd like to take someone up on that offer, but we're
not ready yet...

Dave

---

From: Ale Terlevich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 10:21:50 +0100 (BST)

> etc with ARM Linux???  The mailing list appears to have quietened down

  I didn't know wether to send things in or not incase they're already 
known, but here's a list of things that doesn't seem to work...

 loadmap

   Produces a segmentation fault and dumps core. Presumably linked to 
this is the fact that the !linux application can't boot the partition. It 
complains about an invalid checksum. (I have to boot it by having a 
-bootkernel option, then adding a root=/dev/hda3 to the additional kernel 
options section. (Is there any way of adding an additional option from 
the command line?)

  Here's my boot.conf
config {
        root = "/dev/hda3";
};

# Linux 1.3.45 block with no ramdisk.
kernel {
        name = "Linux 2.0.30";
        path = "/vmlinux";
        root = "/dev/hda3";
        ramdisk = 0;
        flags = readonly;
};

  Occasionaly X complains that it can't get enough free memory to start, 
even on a freshly booted system (Although this has only happened twice 
and I can't repeat it)

  Does X recognise MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 authentication? I can't seem to get 
it working.

  That's all I can think of at the mo. All in all I've been very 
impressed with the speed and useability of the system!

  Well done to all!

Ale.