Subject: A5K Linux

From: Glyn Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 22:05:42 +0100 (BST)

Hi there,

I know the root disk isn't out yet, but I thought I'd have a go with the
Kernel anyway (My A5k ain't doing to much else at the moment, so why not)

Anyway, running the !Linux initally presented some problems - 
	it appears the config file it points to is a directory?

I changed to running Linux with -bootpart Kernel, and managed to get it
to boot - I've collected a RiscPC root disk - for kicks - and giving
the root=/dev/fd0 option, expected it to do something. . .

However, at this point I just get I/O errors from the floppy drive..
same with /dev/fd1 (in case my connector is on the wrong thing) . 

Another problem I came across, was that more often than not, after the

"Uncompressing Linux" message, it reports "invalid compression format? (err=2)"

I assume this is a generic message when gzip fails to uncomress or something,
though it doesn;t help to figure out what is actually causing this. . 

Any thoughts out there ?

Cheers,

Glyn

-- 

Glyn D / http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~daviess / Manchester Computer Society

------------------------------------------------------------------------
	      "Whom computers must destroy, they must first drive mad."
							-- fortune

				     "What if everyone felt like that?"
							-- Catch 22
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Richard Townsend <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 11:12:57 +0100 (BST)

> Kernel anyway (My A5k ain't doing to much else at the moment, so why not)

Tried this myself!

> 	it appears the config file it points to is a directory?

You need to run !Config to sort this out, but it always gives me an 
address exception when I try to run it - :(

> same with /dev/fd1 (in case my connector is on the wrong thing) . 

Not your fault - I get these as well (something about DMA cockups etc). I 
reckon these are the "kernel problems" which are the reason why there is 
no A5k disk....

> "Uncompressing Linux" message, it reports "invalid compression format? (err=2)"

This happens due to some garbage left lying around by RiscOS. I used to 
get it quite a lot when booting Linux from the desktop CLI. I have now
configured my machine (A3020) to boot to the supervisor prompt, and the 
kernel boots every time from there...

Hope this helps!

Rich

+-------------------------------------+--------------------+
| Richard Townsend                    |                    |
| Department of Physics & Astronomy   | "Old pond,         |
| University College London           |   frog jumps in -  |
| Gower Street                        |    plop"           |
| London WC1E 6BT                     |                    |
| Work: (0171) 419 3410               |              Basho |
| Home: (0171) 284 0888 Ext 8037      |                    |
+-------------------------------------+--------------------+

---

From: "ca" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 97 05:00:08 PDT

> Hi there,
is there a port for the a440 (upgraded with ,,new,, arm and ros to be
nearly a5000 compatible)
anywhere around?

chris