Subject: Re: Re ELF

From: Charles Esson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 1997 22:46:26 +1000

Neil A. Carson wrote:

> You'd still need to get the MMU to rewalk the page tables in order to
> invalidate TLB entries, when permissions on pages were changed. This can
> be done, it's a bit ugly though and isn't the way things are normally
> done. This is normally done by real-time OSs, in order to guarantee
> more responsiveness.

Unfortunatly I want to end up with real time performance. I like the ARM
as I feel I can get performance with low power, and I think the world
would be a better place if there was a good real time solution under the
GNU licence.

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 09:28:06 +0100 (BST)

> would be a better place if there was a good real time solution under the

It doesn't yet include ARM support but take a look at RTLinux. On intel
it can play CD quality sound through an unbuffered DAC while loading 5
copies of netscape

---

From: "Ka'Plaagh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 1997 15:56:16 +0000

> > done. This is normally done by real-time OSs, in order to guarantee

On StrongARM you can flush the TLBs all at once.  It's the classic trade off:
things go faster with caches, caches require work to keep them current.

> would be a better place if there was a good real time solution under the

----------------------------------------------------------------------
David A Rusling				Principal Engineer
European Semiconductor Applications	Digital Equipment Co Ltd.,
	Engineering			PO Box 121,
					Imperial Way,
					Worton Grange
					Reading RG2 0TU
Linux, Alpha, StrongArm, PCI		Tel: UK-(0)1734-204380
					Fax: UK-(0)1734-203133
----------------------------------------------------------------------