Subject: Archimedes emulator + ARM/Linux is here!

From: Dave Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 14:59:27 +0100

(Trumpets, fanfares, a choir of singing daemons...)
Hi,
  My Archimedes emulator is now released! It will boot ARM/Linux in
an X window under another Linux (or probably any other Unix).

Its on:
  ftp.compsoc.man.ac.uk:/pub/arcem

You need all the files in that directory.

Grab the lot, shove them in the same directory and run INSTALL and then
run armul-arc - and sit back.

Notes:
  This is NOT fast - it takes about 30 mins on my P90 to hit a login
prompt.
  It is probably of no practical use - it was done for pure hack value.

I've only tested it on my P90 running Linux/x86 - I'd be VERY
interested to here of speed tests on Linux/ARM on a StrongARM and would
also be very interested to know if it works and how fast it runs on a
fast Alpha (prefereably a 500MHz 21164PC - since I intend to buy one of
those).

Enjoy - and tell me of any problems!

Dave
-- 
---------------------------------------------------- Man can not live  -
 David Alan Gilbert - gro.gilbert @ treblig.org ---- by bread alone. He 
---------------------------------------------------- needs chocolate.  -

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 10:09:03 +0100 (BST)

>   It is probably of no practical use - it was done for pure hack value.

On the contrary.. Get the bits from Digital for em86 - that includes free
binary loaders and tools for cross calling native C libraries, and you can
run ARMLinux applications on other platforms ;)

---

From: Ale Terlevich <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 10:57:07 +0100 (BST)

> fast Alpha (prefereably a 500MHz 21164PC - since I intend to buy one of

  Just tried it on my 202MHz SA110 RiscPC running ArmLinux.

Just added a -I/usr/X11/include to the Makefile

It takes 13.5 minutes to get a login porompt!

  Now, how do I get the RiscOS 3.1 ROMS to work with it?

:)

Ale.

---

From: David Alan Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 11:26:52 +0000

> It takes 13.5 minutes to get a login porompt!

Nice! There is something suitably surreal about running an emulation of
ARM Linux under
ARM Linux. Pity my emulator doesn't have enough RAM for running another
copy of itself.
 
>   Now, how do I get the RiscOS 3.1 ROMS to work with it?

Cue standard Acorn ROM copyright warning.....

Ideas for the future incidentally are getting serial working in both the
emulator and the old ARM Linux and mounting the emulator on the host via
SLIP :-)

Dave

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
- David Alan Gilbert - WARNING! This is a beta release .signature    -
- Work:    dg @ cogency.co.uk        -    0161-428-9444              -
- Home:    gro.gilbert @ treblig.org -                               -
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 11:33:20 +0100 (BST)

> Cue standard Acorn ROM copyright warning.....

Cue mmap() call ;)

---

From: David Alan Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 11:37:06 +0000

> > Cue standard Acorn ROM copyright warning.....

Not quite - you could only do that on a machine with RO 3.1 - RiscPCs
have a newer version which wouldn't run on the emulator (and you don't
want to even try running the emulator on the type of machine its
emulating!).

Dave