Subject: Re: Any more feedback on ARM Linux?

From: Joseph Heenan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 18:43:07 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>
          [email-masked] wrote:

> Is there any more feedback around about what works, what doesn't work
> etc with ARM Linux???  The mailing list appears to have quietened down
> a bit!

:-)

Well, today I downloaded and installed the new install kernel and as
far as I can tell this is working perfectly on the 700! Yay!

The new sound module seems to work too, although I still don't get
'beeps' from the shell - do I have to enable these specifically
somehow?

Cheers,

Joseph

-- 
Joseph Heenan, Coventry, UK
mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 21:50:57 +0100 (BST)

> far as I can tell this is working perfectly on the 700! Yay!

;)

> 'beeps' from the shell - do I have to enable these specifically

Not as yet.  This is something to think about...  (since normally
under Linux, I believe that they would come out of the PC speaker
whether or not you have a sound card), so some interface needs to
be designed between the console code and the sound code...
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |       Russell King      [email-masked]         --- ---
  | | | | http://whirligig.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~rmk92/home.html  /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |      *  who wishes that he was in Hong Kong  *      ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 00:48:39 +0100

>be designed between the console code and the sound code...

I think you can do this by creating a new arc_mksound() function and pointing kd_mksound() to it.  This is what the Amiga and so on do about this problem.  I don't know how well it will work with your new console driver, but take a look at drivers/char/vt.c and arch/m68k/amiga/config.c as a starting point.

p.