Subject: ARM710 and multiple HD support

From: Matt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 12:50:52 +0100 (BST)

Hi all!

Firstly a big *gratz* to Russell for getting the distribution sorted out -
it seems to be working perfectly on my housemate's StrongARM (once we
sussed out the NFS install - the other methods didn't want to work)

However, when I tried to install on my ARM710 the kernel I downloaded
yesterday at 2pm (which works on the SA) hangs mightily before even
starting or printing up any messages other than the bootloader's 'Extra
args:' doobry.

When I poked an ARM610 under the hood (As nicked from SA-upgraded mate)
everything went fine until it hit the HD's.  I use the standard Acorn
motherboard IDE system with two drives - one is a 600Mb drive partitioned 
as a 40Mb RiscOs, rest Linux drive, and the other a 1.2Gb drive with a
60Mb swap partition on it, rest Risc OS.

The kernel detects both drives but hangs horribly after that.  Having just
had an exam I can't remember exactly the messages involved, but the hang
is the cursor-stops-flashing-caps-lock-not-work variety.

I'll play around with the drives (unplugging one or other etc) and see if
I can get anything working.

Any other suggestions?

Take care,

Matt
-==-