Subject: partition manager problems

From: Howard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 09:58:19 +0100 (BST)

Oh you lucky buggers to be getting problems with Linux itself.  I can't
even get past the partitioning stage :-)

I am using partman 1.05 to try to partition a seagate ST31276A.  This
was bought from a bog standard PC place and has the default PC
configuration on it. 

What I want to do is to have one 200 meg partition for riscos (I assume
that this has to be the first partition in the disk ) and give the rest
over to Linux. 

OK so I fire up the partition manager, give File System ADFS, Drive 4
and it gets the following info

Total Size 1222 sector size 512 cylinders 2482 Heads 16 sectors 63

The partition table is as follows
Partition sector start sector end size    type
               0           62     31KB    Table
   1           17        41751    20MB    Linux
            41752      2501855  1201MB    Free

The problems are 

1 I cannot edit the un-numbered partition before partition 1 (partition 0)
2 If I set the start of sector 1 to be 0 the sector dissappears and I
only have the initial sector 0 and the free area even bigger
3 The largest size that I can set partition 1 to be is 32 MB.  If I try
to set it to any larger than that it removes 32MB chunks until it is
below 32MB (Modulo of 32MB I think)
4 What is the type field and why is it not editable
5 When trying to create a new partition, the free partition is
displayed.  There is does no obvious way to label this as partition 3. 
Also any attempt to set the size of this 'new' partition to be smaller
to leave a 'new' partition and a smaller free area has no effect. 

To say that I'm confused is an understatement.
For what it's worth I'm doing this on an A4K running Risc OS 3.

any ideas folks???

thanks in advance
Howard
-- 
 Howard Windsor   Email:[email-masked]  otherwise known as warthog
"Nothing defines Humans better than their willingness to do irrational
things in the pursuit of phenomenally unlikely payoffs.  This is the
principle behind lotteries, dating and religion"
                                           Scott Adams