Subject: Linux on old AND non-standard machines

From: Oliver Flimm <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 11:41:28 +0200

Hi,

I just got the arm-crosscompiler-binaries for i386 and the appropriate
arm-kerneltree (2.0.29 as far as I remember). Compiling for ARM3 went
without a flaw, but I can't get this kernel to boot.

I guess the problem originates in my non-standard Archimedes:

A310
IFEL 4MB RAM Upgrade
RiscOS3.1
ACORN SCSI-Card with a 170MB SCSI-HD
ARM3, MEMC1a
820KB Floppy
VIDC-Enhancer
FPU

As far as I remember, I read somewhere that it isn't possible to
get such a non-standard machine to work - or am I wrong?

I really would like to have my first non-intel Linux system ;-)

Regards,

Oliver

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
! Oliver Flimm, Cologne, Germany  Email: [email-masked]            !
! CipLab, Institutes of Physics   WWW  : http://www.ph-cip.uni-koeln.de/~flimm!
!                                                                             !
! The ultimate tragedy in science is the ruining of a beautiful hypothesis    !
! by an ugly fact.                                              (A. Huxley)   !
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 12:11:05 +0100 (BST)

> without a flaw, but I can't get this kernel to boot.

What goes wrong?  

> get such a non-standard machine to work - or am I wrong?

Should be fine.  There's nothing really weird in there.

p.

---

From: David Alan Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 15:23:25 +0000

That machine should work without too much hastle; for example the RAM
upgrade will just look like RAM in a 440 as will the MEMC1a, and the
ARM3 - well it understands that.

The first thing I suggest checking is the value of TEXTADDR in
src/linux/arch/arm/Makefile I think it might have been wrongly
distributed with the value
0x28800000 - if thats the case it won't boot and won't do anything,
flip the first 8 to a 0 and rebuild and you should be OK.

If its getting into the kernel at all (screen clearing and
printing anything) then tell us where its stopping.

Dave

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
- David Alan Gilbert ([email-masked]) - 0161-428-9444              -
- WARNING! This is an alpha release .signature                       -
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Oliver Flimm <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 17:44:05 +0200

Hi,

 > flip the first 8 to a 0 and rebuild and you should be OK.

Ohh, it's magic ;-)

 > printing anything) then tell us where its stopping.

Thanks for that hint. I'll try the whole installation in the next 2
days.

Regards,

Oliver