Subject: Re: your mail

From: Matt Godbolt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 16:02:09 +0100 (BST)

More in the saga (I see no-one's replying to me so either the list is
being flakey (again) or no-one can or wants to help me ;))

I've now managed to get the kernel to compile - not that it works...but at
least it doesn't need (ISTR) crt0.o to link.

In the end I found that compiling all of the kernel compile support stuff
(like the font-making program and suchlike) statically with my kludged
crt0.o works ok.

So - (a) is my crt0.o ok as it is, and (b) how do I get to compile even
'hello world' non-statically?

Any suggestions - I really want to get on with a bit of kernel hackery
after I gave up on NetBSD :)

Take care,

Matt
-==-

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 17:09:52 +0100 (BST)

> least it doesn't need (ISTR) crt0.o to link.

Indeed it doesn't - crt0.o is the C run-time initialisation, and you only
need it for user space binaries. 

> 'hello world' non-statically?

Don't know off the top of my head.  I'll take a look at your other
messages properly a bit later on and see if I can work out what might be
happening.

p.