Subject: New kernel seems to be working a bit better

From: Matt Godbolt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 21:02:45 +0100 (BST)

After Russell kindly pointed out to me I was using an old kernel, a few
more problems on my system have cleared up, viz:

* By specifying the line 'ide0=0x1f0,0x3f9,9' in the extra args bit the
  kernel now boots with both my hard drives plugged in.  Without this line
  it still hangs...but I can live with this!

* This kernel still doesn't like my ARM710 - am I doing someting silly?

* As soon as the screen scrolls the lines become broken up, until I have
  scrolled another screenful at which point they 'flick' back to normal
  again.  Is it possible the kernel thinks I have 2Mb of VRAM and is not
  calculating the start of screen address properly, or that it isn't
  hardware scrolling quite right?

Hope this helps anoyone with similar hard disc related problems!

Take care,

Matt
-==-

---

From: Matt Godbolt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 18:23:12 +0100 (BST)

On Sun, 15 Jun 1997, Matt Godbolt wrote:

[snip - all sorts of rubbish ;)]
>   hardware scrolling quite right?

I forgot to mention that I can't get my Ether1 card to work with the
newest kernel - which is weird.  I get a message 'Delaying eth0
initialisation' or similar just before the kernel goes into multi-user
mode, but on an ifconfig -a I get only loopback.  With the old kernel, the
card works fine.  Both kernels correctly detect the card on primary
bootup.

I'm back to using the old kernel, I'm afriad - although it can't find my
swap partition at least I can NFS mount and export :)

Take care,

Matt
-==-