Subject: Problems installing ARM Linux on Risc PC SA

From: Henry Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 1997 19:41:44 +0100 (BST)

Hello,

  I'm trying to get ARM Linux to install, and have got the disc sets from
the ARM Linux web and FTP sites, but I#m having a problem :-(

  I've set up a partitiion (number 3 in PartMan) on my Hard disc (ADFS::4),
and have copied the ARM Linux stuff into ADFS::4.$.Software.Linux

  In LinConfig I've set the Kernel location to:

 ADFS::Caviar.$.Software.Linux.rpc-2/0/30

   (this is the Kernel I got from the web site today - 9/6/97).  I haven't
done anything to the kernel since downlading (ie. I havn't tried to 
uncompress it or anything similar)

  I also set the following device:

  0301         *ADFS::4.3

  (device 0301 filename *ADFS::4.3 <-- is this right to specify partition
3 on my hard disc?)

  I used Write Disc to write the root-rpc and supplement disc images to two
separate DOS discs.

  When I double click on !Linux I get the error:

     Invalid magic (EA000006) in bmap file - aborting

  This comes when the screen has gone to a black background, and appears as
white text on the background, and also in a standard RISC OS error window.

  I hope someone can help me, as this is obviously stopping me from getting
Linux running on my Risc PC SA, any tips/help greatfully received!

  I was thknking that it seems like I need to write something to the 
hard disc partition that has been set aside for ARM Linux, but there
doesn't seem to be any software about to do that.

  Hope someone can come up with an idea!  Thanks,

-- 
Henry Morgan --> mailto:[email-masked]
Views expressed are mine and mine only.

---

From: Joseph Heenan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 23:21:03 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>

> uncompress it or anything similar)

Yeah, they're not normally compressed.

>   (device 0301 filename *ADFS::4.3 <-- is this right to specify partition

I found it should be *ADFS::5.0 for partition 3 on my disk - I assume
the bootloader is counting linux partition, so it's actually
partition zero.

That's beside the point, though, you're not supposed to setup a
config file until you've got linux installed.
See INSTALL - armlinux/distrib/riscos/INSTALL on the ftpsite.

>      Invalid magic (EA000006) in bmap file - aborting

It would do, it's try to search for a kernel in the boot map of the
harddrive, and failing. (because there isn't one there).

You need to remove the config file, and do:
ADFS::4.$.Linux.!Linux -bootkernel ADFS::4.$.Linux.rpc-2/0/30

(with the right locations for where you've put the bits, obviously).

> doesn't seem to be any software about to do that.

I think you're going to run into a problem, here. You need a way to
transfer all the rpm's you've downloaded to armlinux. You can install
via ftp or nfs - you need another machine (both with ethernet cards)
to install from then, though. Other possibilties are cdrom, or (very
possibly, I'm not certain) copying the rpm's onto a spare HD with
another linux machine. Russell is hoping to get something going so
you can transfer bits, I fear you'll be stuck until that's done.

HTH,

Joseph

-- 
Joseph Heenan
email: [email-masked], [email-masked]

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 23:56:19 +0100 (BST)

> you can transfer bits, I fear you'll be stuck until that's done.

There's always DOS disks.  If you have a spare drive, or a removeable, or
a lot of floppies and patience, you can do it that way.

p.

---

From: Joseph Heenan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 23:59:09 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>

> a lot of floppies and patience, you can do it that way.

Umm. That's relatively hideous :-)
Not recommended for the beginner, anyway, I'd have thought - you'd
have to newfs the partition yourself, as the installer doesn't
support install from floppies. I'm not sure how much it'd appreciate
you trying to install from the same partition you're installing to,
either.
(and, of course, to add to the fun some of the rpm's are > 1.44Meg)

In about a weeks time, I might be in a position to install armlinux
onto other peoples hds if anyone's desperate. I've got all the rpm's
on a nfs server, so it's a case of sticking the HD in and leaving it
for an hour and a bit. There's a couple of problems that exist atm,
so it's not really worth doing it currently. (plus I'm in the middle
of exams!)

Joseph

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 15:52:51 +0100 (BST)

> support install from floppies. I'm not sure how much it'd appreciate

It _does_ support install from hard disks though, I think, and you might
be able to persuade it to treat a SyQuest (or even a Zip if you're
lucky...) as a hard disk for that purpose.

Being able to install off tape would be handy for some people as well, but
it can't do that either.  Every so often I get asked by people who want to
install on SPARCs whether I can cut them a 1/4" tape distribution. (!)

p.