Subject: resend.

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 20:38:44 +0100 (BST)

Forwarded message:
> From [email-masked]  Sun May 25 16:52:01 1997
> From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: 2.0.30
> To: [email-masked]
> Date: 	Sun, 25 May 1997 16:47:29 +0100 (BST)
> X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL25]
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> Sender: [email-masked]
> Precedence: bulk
> 
> On Friday, I decided the time had come to actually start running Linux/ARM
> myself.  So I downloaded pretty much everything in sight from the ftp
> site.. problems: 
> 
> The patch against gcc 2.7.2.2 doesn't apply cleanly - some of the patching
> appears to have already been done.  This *was* against a clean untar of
> 2.7.2.2 that had been patched from 2.7.2.1.  And the t-linux fragment
> needs to have CROSS_LIBGCC defined, not LIBGCC.  or something similar. 
> Knew I should have written everything down.  It's easy to deduce what went
> wrong by comparing it against t-semi. 

[snipped binutils - strange how so much changes in a week...]

> And the a5k kernel provided doesn't work.  The bootloader complains about
> bad magic (EA000006) and refuses to boot it.  The first word in the kernel
> is indeed a branch instruction.  I tried executing it under RISC OS, but
> it addressexceptioned and a few minutes later my machine hang.  Not
> terribly surprised, but I thought I'd try it. 
> 
> BTW, does this kernel support netbooting?  The only supported device I
> have is an Acorn Ether3, linked to a 486 Linux box running 2.0.30, so I
> was hoping to NFS mount my root partition.  Yes, I'm on an A440 so no
> device drivers are available, or are they?
>

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 22:22:47 +0100 (BST)

> > appears to have already been done.  This *was* against a clean untar of

That's because it's against 2.7.2, not 2.7.2.2.  You should be able to
ignore the hunks that have already been applied.  I have patches against
the latest gcc snapshot as well that you can have if they're any use, but
I imagine they won't be.

p.

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 22:22:47 +0100 (BST)

p.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 23:54:25 +0100 (BST)

> terribly surprised, but I thought I'd try it. 

The kernel is not a root partition!!!  You should give the loader:

		!Linux -bootkernel Kernel

The instructions are on the FTP site in /pub/armlinux/distrib/riscos/INSTALL.

> device drivers are available, or are they?

It should be.  When the boot loader prompts for extra arguments, enter:

		root=/dev/nfs

and the kernel should then try root-nfs.

The Ether3 card does have drivers, but you'll have to make sure that you're
using the 16-bit podule...

For more information, please see my web pages!
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |       Russell King      [email-masked]         --- ---
  | | | | http://whirligig.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~rmk92/home.html  /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |      *  who wishes that he was in Hong Kong  *      ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 02:08:25 +0100 (BST)

> the latest gcc snapshot as well that you can have if they're any use, but

I don't run the GCC snapshots, thanks.  But the patch says it's against
2.7.2.2 (there is a 2.7.2 snapshot there as well).

How is the ARM integration into GCC going?  Is PIC working yet?  Any
progress on ELF support?

---

From: David Alan Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 09:33:51 +0000

Hi,
  I've got 2.0.30 running on my A440/1 - at the moment its netbooting
off my PC (via an Acorn Ether1) and using an MFM hard drive as swap.
I can run stuff OK; although at the moment due to an old set of libc's
and other files I have I can't actually load the FPE making it
impossible to run bash interactivly.

The kernel was cross compiled using my PC.

Dave
-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
- David Alan Gilbert ([email-masked]) - 0161-428-9444              -
- WARNING! This is an alpha release .signature                       -
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 10:35:55 +0100 (BST)

> 2.7.2.2 (there is a 2.7.2 snapshot there as well).

Ah.  How bizarre.

> How is the ARM integration into GCC going?  Is PIC working yet?  Any

The Linux stuff is being held up because Russell hasn't signed an
assignment for the FSF yet.  No news on PIC or ELF. 

p.

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 11:08:45 +0100 (BST)

> assignment for the FSF yet.  No news on PIC or ELF. 

I would personally advise Russell not to bother. Just merge with HJ Lu and
stuff the FSF - it'll take them about 3-6 months to merge anything after
they've finished farting with the paperwork. 

They don't even stick to their supposed religious rule anyway. With the
linux stuff I did thats also in Hurd they have no paperwork ;)

Alan

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 11:14:44 +0100 (BST)

> linux stuff I did thats also in Hurd they have no paperwork ;)

They do seem a bit selective about when they apply it.  There's a fair
amount of my code in glibc and they don't have any explicit paperwork for
that either (until a few weeks ago they didn't have _any_ paperwork from
me).

Oh well.  I think merging gcc with the FSF is a worthwhile thing to do,
but you're probably right that merging with HJ is a good first step.  The
binutils stuff is already in HJ's latest release.

p.