Subject: Kernel problems

From: Jan Magnussen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 02:52:53 +0200

Hi again,

The new supplemental disk seemed to do the trick with my problem about Linux not
being able to find my partitions :-))

But now I have another problem. Every time the computer is reset, the computer
freezes. Also if I presses Ctrl-Alt-Delete to reboot RO, the computer crashes
oozing a LOT of errors at me normally ending with 'killing interrupt handler' or
something like that.
Why does it do that?

Regards,

Jan Magnussen
http://www.but.auc.dk/~36jan
Fidonet : 2:234/181.8

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 09:48:01 +0100 (BST)

> oozing a LOT of errors at me normally ending with 'killing interrupt handler' or

Can you copy out the exact errors you get?

p.

---

From: Jan Magnussen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 12:50:38 +0200

> Can you copy out the exact errors you get?

Uhm. That could be hard. I am talking about several screenfulls of
errors. But if there is anyway to dump the errors to a file (on floppy),
then I could probably attach them to a mail. But it would take hours to
write them all down by hand and then enter them into a mail.

Regards,

Jan Magnussen
http://www.but.auc.dk/~36jan/
Fidonet 2:234/181.8

---

From: Jan Magnussen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 19:07:40 +0200

> write them all down by hand and then enter them into a mail.

One error that seems to come several times is:
Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 003c1000

Regards,

Jan Magnussen

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 01:00:56 +0100 (BST)

> Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 003c1000

The kernel tried to dereference a bad pointer.  Can you see the EIP value
that comes immediately after?

p.

---

From: Jan Magnussen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 17:43:15 +0200

> that comes immediately after?

Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 003c100
current->tss.memmap = 10004000
*pgd = 00000000, *pmd = 00000000
Internal error: Oops: 0
CPU: 0
pc : [<c0198074>]
lr : [<c019801c>]
sp : c00c2f24  ip : c0145eb0  fp : e03c0000
....

Sorry no EIP value. I hope this is enough.

Regards,

Jan Magnussen

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 00:47:27 +0100 (BST)

> Sorry no EIP value. I hope this is enough.

Oh right, the PC value is the same thing.  Now all we need to do is find
the map file for that kernel, which hopefully Russell has provided, and we
can see where it goes wrong...

p.