Subject: Re: Linux and RISC OS

From: James Craig <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 12:35:18 +0000

> > This would give me a 420Mb linux drive and a 210Mb swapdrive.
> > 
> 
> 210Mb swap is silly. As a rule, swap should be approx 2 or 3 times your 
> RAM size. Also, I think that the swap and linux root partition should be 
> on the same drive.

I don't know how well this applies to ARM as opposed to x86 linux (I 
can't get ARM Linux running on my A3000s (ARM3) since the watford 
A3000 IDE podules aren't supported, at the last check)
but having the swap and the root partitions on seperate drives can 
actually increase performance, since there is no clash between 
accesses to the drive. Having the swap and root partitions seperate 
shouldn't cause any particular problems, unless they are very strange 
ARM-specific ones. 
I agree that 210Mb swap is *extremely* excessive, especially since I 
think there is still a kernel limit on the size of each 
swap-file/partiton that will be used.