Subject: duh, any ideas on this?

From: David A Rusling <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 15:12:26 +0000

All,
	I downloaded the prebuilt tools, unpacked them into /usr/arm/<blah>
and I cannot compile anything, even my simple "hello cruel world!" program.
Results were:

[rusling@flight tmp]$ /usr/arm/tools/bin/arm-unknown-linuxaout-gcc -v t.c
Reading specs from /usr/arm/tools/lib/gcc-lib/arm-unknown-linuxaout/2.7.2/specs
gcc version 2.7.2
 /usr/arm/tools/lib/gcc-lib/arm-unknown-linuxaout/2.7.2/cpp -lang-c -v -undef -D__GNUC__=2 -D__GNUC_MINOR__=7 -Dunix -Darm -Dlinux -D__unix__ -D__arm__ -D__linux__ -D__unix -D__arm -D__linux -D__CHAR_UNSIGNED__ -D__arm3__ t.c /tmp/cca00347.i
GNU CPP version 2.7.2 (ARM Linux/a.out)
#include "..." search starts here:
#include <...> search starts here:
 /usr/arm/tools/lib/gcc-lib/arm-unknown-linuxaout/2.7.2/include
 /usr/arm/tools/lib/gcc-lib/arm-unknown-linuxaout/2.7.2/sys-include
 /usr/arm/tools/arm-unknown-linuxaout/include
End of search list.
 /usr/arm/tools/lib/gcc-lib/arm-unknown-linuxaout/2.7.2/cc1 /tmp/cca00347.i -quiet -dumpbase t.c -version -o /tmp/cca00347.s
GNU C version 2.7.2 (ARM Linux/a.out) compiled by GNU C version 2.7.2.1.
/tmp/cca00347.i:1: numeric constant with no digits
/tmp/cca00347.i:1: numeric constant with no digits
/tmp/cca00347.i:1: invalid #line
/tmp/cca00347.i:2: parse error at null character
[rusling@flight tmp]$   

I looked at the output from the preprocessor (using the -E option) and it looked like:

# 1 "t.c"
int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
  printk("hello cruel world!\n") ;
}

Any clues?

Dave

----------------------------------------------------------------------
David A Rusling				Principal Engineer
European Semiconductor Applications	Digital Equipment Co Ltd.,
	Engineering			PO Box 121,
					Imperial Way,
					Worton Grange
					Reading RG2 0TU
Linux, Alpha, StrongArm, PCI		Tel: UK-(0)1734-204380
					Fax: UK-(0)1734-203133
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Richard Townsend <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 16:36:54 +0100 (BST)

> and I cannot compile anything, even my simple "hello cruel world!" program.

<snip>

Ha! This is easy to fix. Your version of Linux hasn't got a recent 
enough version of libc. You need libc 5.4 or above for the 
cross-compiler to work properly. Once that is sorted out, it worketh 
like a dream (nice 'n' fast on a PPro).

Rich

+-------------------------------------+--------------------+
| Richard Townsend                    |                    |
| Department of Physics & Astronomy   | "Old pond,         |
| University College London           |   frog jumps in -  |
| Gower Street                        |    plop"           |
| London WC1E 6BT                     |                    |
| Work: (0171) 419 3410               |              Basho |
| Home: (0171) 284 0888 Ext 8037      |                    |
+-------------------------------------+--------------------+

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 17:05:38 +0100 (BST)

> enough version of libc. You need libc 5.4 or above for the 

Indeed.  If you build the tools yourself (which I strongly recommend over
using the prebuilt binaries) this won't be a problem.  It only comes about
because of binary incompatibilities between libc 5.3 and libc 5.4.

p.

---

From: David A Rusling <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 18:06:38 +0000

> because of binary incompatibilities between libc 5.3 and libc 5.4.

aha, indeed I am running libc.so.5.3.12 on my laptop.  I'll upgrade and retry.

Dave

---

From: "Ka'Plagh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 20:39:37 +0000

All,
	I did indeed get it sorted and I've built an ebsa-110 kernel
(unfortunately not working yet).   A couple of things:

[1] I had to "invent" include/asm-arm/arch-ebsa/dma.h.   This was 
missing from the 2.0.29 patches that I had.

[2] I had to create a couple of links for objcopy and objdump for the
pre-built tools.

Dave

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 00:43:00 +0100 (BST)

> missing from the 2.0.29 patches that I had.

Please use the latest 2.0.30 patches.  This problem has been fixed.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |       Russell King      [email-masked]         --- ---
  | | | | http://whirligig.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~rmk92/home.html  /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |      *  who wishes that he was in Hong Kong  *      ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |