Subject: Re: Kernel problems

From: Jan Magnussen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 00:37:47 +0200

On Fri 13 Jun, [email-masked] wrote:
> What does your kernel version line say?
> 
> It should say something like:
> Linux version 2.0.30 (src@raistlin) (gcc version 2.7.2.2) #7 Sun Jun 8 22:36:34 BST 19
> 97
> Note the date!  If it does not, please get the RiscPC kernel dated 08061997.  This sho
> uld
> work correctly with resetting.

The kernel version and date is the right one. I downloaded it this monday (9th).

Jan Magnussen
http://www.but.auc.dk/~36jan
Fidonet : 2:234/181.8

---

From: Jan Magnussen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 00:47:11 +0200

On Fri 13 Jun, [email-masked] wrote:
> Something else just occured to me:
> 
> You have two cards that I currently do not support.  Every expansion card has
> a software 'loader' that tells the OS how to load info off the card.  Linux
> uses this, but it appears that this loader is not as OS-independent as it
> should be.  This could be causing the problem.  If possible, then you could
> attempt to find out which card is causing the problem (by removing one).  If
> you let me know, then I can blacklist it so that Linux won't attempt to use
> the loader.

Ahh. I removed the IDEFS card when I gave up on it. It takes AGES to boot the
card.
I cannot remove the Powertec-card, as that is my main boot disk. This is also
the drive from which I run Linux, and it would be too much trouble moving all
the necessary software to the ADFS partition (it probably couldn't fit on the
drive anyway). But if you blacklist the Powertec card, then I would be glad to
report back if it works or not.

Another thing. How do I copy the RPMs to the Linux partition for installation
when I cannot get a command prompt?

Jan Magnussen

---

From: Jan Magnussen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 17:20:43 +0200

On Sat 14 Jun, [email-masked] wrote:
> Jan Magnussen writes:
> Did Linux take ages to boot with this card in?

No. Only on RO (And the ages lasted 20-25 secs.). I autodetects my HDs on the
IDEFS card. And that apparently takes some time.

> Ok, will do.  I've also now been able to give the ICS driver the correct podule
> IDs, thanks to your kernel messages you sent me ;)  The next version of Linux
> should recognise your ICS card, but whether it'll work... (since it is untested).

Where can I find the new kernel then?

Regards,

Jan Magnussen