Subject: PSION 5 launch

From: David Alan Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 12:44:37 +0000

Hi,
  www.psion.com has now been updated to contain the info on the Psion
Series 5.  Basic specs:
  ARM 7100
  VGA res (width) screen
  Pen+keyboard (the keyboard has some hinging in it by the looks of it -
not quite as snazzy as the fold out IBM Thinkpad - but certainly more
wacky than the Series 3).
  4 or 8MB internally - space for upto 10MB more (as Flash?)

Now - does someone want to contact Psion and ask them for info on
porting Linux to it? (8MB RAM + 10MB Flash is enough for the basics
surely - especially with some compression)

Dave

P.S> Since they still don't have their network connectivity sorted it
might be useful to Psion!
-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
- David Alan Gilbert - WARNING! This is a beta release .signature    -
- Work:    dg @ cogency.co.uk        -    0161-428-9444              -
- Home:    gro.gilbert @ treblig.org -                               -
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 13:14:51 +0100 (BST)

> surely - especially with some compression)

The real question IMHO is how many of the 7100 GPIO pins are free and could
be wired off the unit, or does it have a parallel port. If so welding an
IDE disk to one shouldnt be a problem.

Alan

---

From: David Alan Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 13:42:11 +0000

It can drive a parallel printer and I suspect some munging of the
cardflash expansion thingy could also provide enough I/O.

Of course you'd have to drop back to one of the little HP Kittyhawk 1.8"
drives - no sense in having a great big wapping 2.5" disc.

Dave

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 13:54:22 +0100 (BST)

> cardflash expansion thingy could also provide enough I/O.

Ok a parallel port and about 4 74xx chips will do IDE ;)

> drives - no sense in having a great big wapping 2.5" disc.

The 1.8 drives are very expensive. At 2.5" they are much cheaper and go
up to about 810Mb