Subject: Installing arm linux

From: "Chris Gilbert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 20:08:03 BST

Hi,

At the moment I'm planning to install arm linx, I see from the web 
pages that you can not install them from floppy drive, however the 
web pages say you can use zip drives with an rpc.  So my question is:

Can I install arm-linux from a ms-dos formatted zip drive?

Also which are the main rpms I need to get, as I don't expect 
everyone to be needed and so don't wish to waste space on the zip (ie the zip drive just filled up 
and hasn't ftp'd everything)

Thanks,
Chris

PS I hope this hasn't been asked before, I only joined the list, 
mainly to see how linux performs against riscbsd.

---

From: [email-masked] (Ian Molton)
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 00:53:10 BST

Ayone want to help me with this goddamn partitioning problem?

-Ian

-- 
Hawk Software  HTTP://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hawk/
Huh. It MIGHT happen...

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 11:02:54 +0100 (BST)

> Ayone want to help me with this goddamn partitioning problem?

Can you give as much information as possible.  There is very little to
go on in your previous mail.  Information such as what PartMan is
displaying, where your drive is connected (to the motherboard or,
for example, a RapIDE card).
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |       Russell King      [email-masked]         --- ---
  | | | | http://whirligig.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~rmk92/home.html  /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |      *  who wishes that he was in Hong Kong  *      ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Andy Fawcett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 16:28:58 +0100

> for example, a RapIDE card).

I've been having the same sort of problem with the partitioning
software. My setup is an A5000 with an ICS Wizzo Rom fitted.

If I format the drive as IDEFS, using the ICS formatter, The partition
manager can't find the correct information about the Filecore partition
(it simply doesn't show up), and the free space.

When I format it to ADFS (remember, this uses the same interface, it's
just a different FS), the partition manager can find the correct
information...

Now, this in itself would be fine, but my second drive is 1gig and needs
partitioning for RiscOS, so I need it to be configured for IDEFS...

Would it be possible to look at the code for handling IDEFS?
-- 
Andy Fawcett                       a.f.p. recipes ([email-masked])
http://www.afawcett.demon.co.uk/       send mail with subject 'send index'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it a game of chance?  Not the way I play it.