Subject: Building kernel

From: Richard Townsend <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 16:13:48 +0100 (BST)

I have (more or less) sucessfully built a kernel on a mate's Pentium 
using Dave Gilbert's cross-compiler (after getting my mate to upgrade to 
libc 5.4.x). However, the build falls over in the final step when making 
vmlinux with the following error:

----
/usr/arm/tools/bin/arm-unknown-linuxaout-ld -Ttext 0x02880000 
arch/arm/kernel/head.o init/main.o init/vers
ion.o \
arch/arm/kernel/kernel.o arch/arm/mm/mm.o kernel/kernel.o mm/mm.o fs/fs.o 
ipc/ipc.o net/network.a \
fs/filesystems.a \
arch/arm/drivers/block/block.a arch/arm/drivers/char/char.a 
arch/arm/drivers/net/net.a \
arch/arm/lib/lib.a /temp/rhdt/linux/lib/lib.a 
`/usr/arm/tools/bin/arm-unknown-linuxaout-gcc -m3 --print-li
bgcc-file-name` -o vmlinux
arch/arm/drivers/block/block.a(hd.o)(.text+0x1b4): undefined reference to 
`hd_info'
arch/arm/drivers/block/block.a(hd.o)(.text+0x6bc): undefined reference to 
`hd_info'
arch/arm/drivers/block/block.a(hd.o)(.text+0x99c): undefined reference to 
`hd_info'
arch/arm/drivers/block/block.a(hd.o)(.text+0xdb4): undefined reference to 
`hd_info'
arch/arm/drivers/block/block.a(hd.o)(.text+0xec4): undefined reference to 
`hd_info'
arch/arm/drivers/block/block.a(hd.o)(.text+0x1808): more undefined 
references to `hd_info' follow
make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1
---

It appears summat is missing - anyone know what is going on here?

cheers

Rich

+-------------------------------------+--------------------+
| Richard Townsend                    |                    |
| Department of Physics & Astronomy   | "Old pond,         |
| University College London           |   frog jumps in -  |
| Gower Street                        |    plop"           |
| London WC1E 6BT                     |                    |
| Work: (0171) 419 3410               |              Basho |
| Home: (0171) 284 0888 Ext 8037      |                    |
+-------------------------------------+--------------------+

---

From: David Alan Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 14:28:20 +0000

(Complaints about missing hd_.... symbols) - which hard drive device
drivers were you using?

I haven't tried 2.0.30 yet - but 2.0.29 was OK.

Dave (Please note new email address!)

P.S. Russ - will Richard's build work - or will he have to edit the
TEXTADDR thing to 0x02800000 like I had to do for the R260/your boot
loader?

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
- David Alan Gilbert ([email-masked]) - 0161-428-9444              -
- WARNING! This is an alpha release .signature                       -
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Richard Townsend <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 14:35:51 +0100 (BST)

> I haven't tried 2.0.30 yet - but 2.0.29 was OK.

Erm, "old" IDE, not enhanced, and no MFM stuff. And yes, this was 2.0.30. 
This was compiling for my A3020, with the IDE interface on the 
motherboard.

Rich

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 15:01:23 +0100 (BST)

> It appears summat is missing - anyone know what is going on here?

Ugh.  It looks like something went wrong with the hd driver when Russell
converted it for the ARM.  You may have to use the new IDE one after all
for now - though defining HD_TYPE to something sensible when you compile
hd.c might get you going.

p.