Subject: Arm700

From: Chris Johns <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 14:56:33 +0100 (BST)

Hi

Just a quick question - how is development for the Arm700 kernel 
progressing?

Thanks!

 @ @    ____________
\ ^ /  (_hris _)ohns  -  [email-masked]
=====

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 17:12:48 +0100 (BST)

> Just a quick question - how is development for the Arm700 kernel

Apparently Martin Ebourne is working on it. 

p.

---

From: Richard Townsend <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 19:21:51 +0100 (BST)

> Just a quick question - how is development for the Arm700 kernel 

Dunno. Things are going rather slowly since, IIRC, Russ is bogged down 
with a "real" job. 

I'm having problems getting the a5k kernel started on my A3020. For some 
reason, the kernel uncompresses ok sometimes, but other times gives an 
"invalid compressed format" error. I can't isolate what makes it work and 
what breaks it.... anyone had similar experiences?

cheers

Rich

+-------------------------------------+--------------------+
| Richard Townsend                    |                    |
| Department of Physics & Astronomy   | "Old pond,         |
| University College London           |   frog jumps in -  |
| Gower Street                        |    plop"           |
| London WC1E 6BT                     |                    |
| Work: (0171) 419 3410               |              Basho |
| Home: (0171) 284 0888 Ext 8037      |                    |
+-------------------------------------+--------------------+

---

From: Martin Ebourne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 23:39:05 +0100 (BST)

> Dunno. Things are going rather slowly since, IIRC, Russ is bogged down 

Actually despite that Russ has managed to get most of an ARM Red Hat 4.0/4.1
system packaged! [For non-linux people, Red Hat is one of the popular
distributions. It's by far the best which is why I originally suggested Russ
used their tools and system. ;) 4.1 is the latest version, the ARM one Russ
has made is a hybrid with 4.0 approx.]

As to the 700 version - there isn't one yet because Russ doesn't have a
600/700 and I haven't got the sources. He's is supposed to be visiting me
this weekend with all the bits (otherwise I'll visit him with a baseball bat
;)). My machine is a 610 so by next week there MIGHT be a real Red Hat
distribution on the ftp site [I have out of hours ethernet access] which
supports at least ARM600/700 and SA. Otherwise Russ might have a few bruises.
:-)

-- 
Martin Ebourne
mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked] <Simon Kirk>" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 00:05:12 +0100 (BST)

> supports at least ARM600/700 and SA. Otherwise Russ might have a few bruises.
Now now, be nice =c)
	So there IS a release of the new armlinux kernels around! I 
haven't heard anything at all about it and was giving up hope. Two 
questions.. 

a) Does this release include the ethernet code for ALL types of ethernet 
card usable on the A5000? I ( a long time ago) tried to install the net 
release disks for the 1.3.35 kernel and it didn't work because Russ only 
had the manufacter's ID for his make of ethernet card, while mine is the 
same kind, but made my different people. I can't remember the exact 
details but I supplied the info Russ needed and he said he had put it in. 
Unfortunately he's been so busy that no new kernel has appeared on the 
ftp site so I've been waiting in vain for a long time =c(.

b) How can I get a hold of this distribution?

hang on! I thought of another question! =c)

c) Does this distribution include the strongarm kernel? I know somebody 
with a 40Meg strongarm (that's 40M of memory *slaver*.. us poor students 
make do with a 4Meg A5000 =c).. which would zip along with linux quite 
nicely =c).

  Well.. that's quite enough typing.. I'm off..
	Si

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 01:13:41 +0100 (BST)

> haven't heard anything at all about it and was giving up hope. Two 

That's probably because you're on the wrong list.  For anybody else who's
still using the tardis list, all ARMLinux discussion has been taking place
on the vger list for several months now.

p.

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 01:13:41 +0100 (BST)

p.

---

From: Richard Townsend <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 01:16:53 +0100 (BST)

> ftp site so I've been waiting in vain for a long time =c(.

There is almost all of the "new" stuff on the ftp site now - kernels for 
a5k and strongarm, along with loaders, partitioners and whatnot. All that 
we are waiting for is the boot and installation disks, which according 
to Martin will appear this weekend - nice one chaps! The problems I have 
mentioned with decompressing the kernel occur with this new 2.0.28/29 a5k 
kernel - anyone else experienced this?

I had the same sort of problem with the 1.3.35 net kernel - my ANT 
Ether3-8 card was recognised, but things didn't work when I tried to take 
it up with ifconfig - device not found errors, IIRC. Hopefully, this has 
been fixed....

BTW, if anyone has tried out the cross-compiler which is pointed to by 
the arm linux web page (can't remember offhand who ported it), I found 
that cc1 (the compiler backend) was broken (using a Pentium), and so I've 
recompiled it. I can't garauntee it works completely, but if you want a 
"fixed" version try ftping to ftp://ftp.star.ucl.ac.uk/pub/rhdt/cc1.tgz

Rich

---

From: Andy Fawcett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 11:34:24 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>
          Philip Blundell <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> So there IS a release of the new armlinux kernels around! I  haven't
>> heard anything at all about it and was giving up hope. Two 
>> questions.. 
> That's probably because you're on the wrong list.  For anybody else
> who's still using the tardis list, all ARMLinux discussion has been
> taking place on the vger list for several months now.

Both lists had been quiet lately, so I thought that nothing much was
happening...

I guess my sub to the vger list has been dropped for some reason, and
since I've lost the instructions for that list, could somebody mail me
them please?

Cheers,
-- 
Andy Fawcett                       a.f.p. recipes ([email-masked])
http://www.afawcett.demon.co.uk/       send mail with subject 'send index'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
You will visit the Dung Pits of Glive soon.

---

From: Richard Townsend <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 22:55:02 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 14 May 1997 [email-masked] wrote:

> Afraid not yet...

Arghhhh! Any hope of this working in sight? If it means anything, all of 
the driver code is in the Ether3-8 module which comes with the Acorn DCI4 
stack - surely it should be reasonably easy to rip this code out?

> You require libc 5.4, not 5.3 to use it.  (Is 5.3 broken in a severe way,
> or what?).

Ah, that may be the problem. But how come things *appeared* to work when 
I redid cc1?

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 23:50:14 +0100 (BST)

> supports at least ARM600/700 and SA. Otherwise Russ might have a few bruises.

Martin - Over the last day, I was able to visit Dave Gilbert (@ Manchester Uni,
curtesy of certain business arrangements), and tried out the RiscPC kernel on a
RPC600 with Arm610 in.  We've sorted out some bugs concerning the 'Updatable'
bit, so it should at least boot.  However, it's just the abort code that needs
fixing...
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |       Russell King      [email-masked]         --- ---
  | | | | http://whirligig.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~rmk92/home.html  /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |      *  who wishes that he was in Hong Kong  *      ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 23:56:15 +0100 (BST)

> kernel - anyone else experienced this?

It should be 2.0.30...

Afraid not yet...

Dave and myself also found that m6/libgcc.a is broken.  Dave's going to have
a look at that over the weekend.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |       Russell King      [email-masked]         --- ---
  | | | | http://whirligig.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~rmk92/home.html  /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |      *  who wishes that he was in Hong Kong  *      ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 10:09:12 +0100 (BST)

> You require libc 5.4, not 5.3 to use it.  (Is 5.3 broken in a severe way,

No, but binaries compiled against 5.4 won't run with 5.3 or earlier. 

p.

---

From: Andy Armstrong <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 09:31:43 +0100

In article <[email-masked]>, Martin
Ebourne <[email-masked]> writes

[snip]

>supports at least ARM600/700 and SA. Otherwise Russ might have a few bruises.

I sounds a bit late to offer, but I have a couple of spare 610 cards if
anyone needs them for testing. Great news about the release. How big is
it likely to be? How stable?

-- 
http://www.wonderworks.co.uk --> Free RISC OS software
Andy Armstrong, WonderWorks

---

From: Richard Townsend <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 15:23:03 +0100 (BST)

> supports at least ARM600/700 and SA. Otherwise Russ might have a few bruises.

Did Russ visit? Or is he a bloody pulp now? In particular, any sniff of 
the installation and boot disks for Red Hat? No sign of things on the 
web....

Rich

---

From: Martin Ebourne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 21:11:43 +0100 (BST)

> the installation and boot disks for Red Hat? No sign of things on the 

He most certainly did. And what's even better we've got Linux running on the
ARM610/710 as well. Most of a red hat distribution is up on the ftp site,
though you can't get to it yet. Expect it in a week or so I guess.

I've now got ARM Linux installed on mine, and while not being perfect, it's
damn good. I compiled the GNU Emacs 19.34 RPM up last night without much
bother. I'll upload it in time for the dist becoming available. There's a few
other things missing but not much.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 21:15:02 +0100 (BST)

> the installation and boot disks for Red Hat? No sign of things on the 

I did visit indeed, and yes, I've uploaded all the bits'n'pieces now
(but not for general consumption).  Eg, they won't work on the old
machines atm (I've got to produce a set of 720k boot disks for them).

However, Linux now works on ARM610 and StrongARM.  ARM710 is unknown, but
shouldn't be far off.

We did find a few missing files in the distribution, but that should be fixed
now...

The release is almost finished...  Please stand by.
   _____

---

From: Richard Townsend <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 23:52:15 +0100 (BST)

> machines atm (I've got to produce a set of 720k boot disks for them).

By "not for general consumption", do you mean unavailable, since there is 
nothing new on the web site re the installation disks (although the 
private directory has changed - which of course, we can't get at!)

Rich

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 09:13:52 +0100 (BST)

Most of the CD is now on ftp.uk.linux.org - its taking time as it has to
be done in bits by hand for various reasons. I'll be able to add stuff to
that section as time goes on