Subject: Re: ARM Linux distributions

From: David Alan Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 May 97 15:21:28 BST

We don't want to end up with a distribution out there which looks like
a fully packaged soloution.  That will mean we will have dumb users trying
to install it.

We want a pile of binaries out there which people won't even be able
to unpack unless they know what they're doing.

I'm not be prepared to be swamped with loads of lusers yet - when we have
something moderatly installable yes; but lets get people who understand whats
going on to debug it first.

Dave

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 12:32:17 +0100 (BST)

> a fully packaged soloution.  That will mean we will have dumb users trying

Frankly I don't care _what_ we have.  I'm not about to spend hours
packaging everything up neatly, but I'm certainly not prepared to
deliberately unpackage all the binaries we've already got just to make it
difficult to install. 

> I'm not be prepared to be swamped with loads of lusers yet - when we
> have something moderatly installable yes; but lets get people who
> understand whats going on to debug it first. 

Let the users install it if they want.  So long as people understand that
the mailing list is their only source of support and nobody is obliged to
help them (though I'm sure people will) we'll all get along just fine.
You and Russell seem to be blowing the "naive user" problem up out of all
proportion. 

p.