Subject: Re: ARM Linux distributions

From: James Craig <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 08:51:20 +0000

The only reason linux on the ix86 took off at all was that the source 
code was freely available so that people could work on it - without 
the source code, the ARM version of linux is just going to die, since 
only one person can work on it. The reason linux works at all is that 
it's free, so *anyone* can work on it. That's the whole point of the 
bloody thing - we'd be using RiscIX if we wanted a supported, 
you-can't-do-anything-to-this product.

So, surely you could release the source code, even if you have to 
stick a great big "Do not email me about this" all over it - the 
number of people who'd be working on this isn't so large it would be 
a problem anyway.

It would be "extremely foolish" of you not to release the code when 
there's a reasonable number of us here quite prepared to help, if we 
can only get the source to work on.

---

From: Andy Hayward <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 10:27:36 +0100

>can only get the source to work on.

I'm sure Russell will release the source code, _when_ he's happy with
it (You will, won't you Russell?). I agree with him that it would be
extremely foolish to release it when it has a large number of (possibly
known) bugs. Even with a few people working on the same code, it could
easily get unmanagable.

ach

---

From: Kaustav Bhattacharya <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 11:15:03 +0100

And of course there could be a hush-hush fancy big-wig deal going on in
the background we all don't know about with some big company.  Yes, I
can see it, ARM-Linux, the new industry standard. SUN files for
liquidtion as Solaris shares crash on the NASDAQ stock exchange.  Oh
yes, oh yes!!!  Russell, lets here it for ARM-Linux!!! :P

Kozzey.

-- 
Kaustav Bhattacharya
http://redhotcountry.co.uk/  - Europe's eye on Country Music
http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~kozzey/  - Kozzey's Dimension
[email-masked]  or  [email-masked]

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 11:42:20 +0100 (BST)

> known) bugs. Even with a few people working on the same code, it could

Well the CDROM #1 is currently uploading. It should be on the end of a
2Mbit line by Monday. It doesn't have the X stuff on it but there is enough
to keep you all busy and out of Russell's hair for a while tidying this
lot up.

I'm  not prepared to create an incoming and don't have a lot more space
on that machine for more than the CD image but I'll try and get something
nicely sorted out with the ftp.uk.linux.org folks soon