Subject: Strongarm network computers+linux?

From: Bill Broadley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 11:54:41 -0800 (PST)

I finally saw a post first in a week or so, been hoping for learn more 
about linux-arm by just listening in.

Are any of the strongarm machines that run linux like:
	strongarm cpu >= 160 Mhz.
	16-32 MB ram
	2 mb video (I.e. 1152x900 16 bit)
	10 mbit ethernet
	Some xfree86 compatible graphics.
	Some JavaVM implementation.
	Runs linux diskless?

I have a lab of 30 NCD xterminals, and prolly 40 other xterminals around,
would be great to start replacing them with linux.  Would be nice to
start buying Network Computers instead of xterminals.

The digital reference design looks very nice, there is a netbsd port,
but since I'm alot more familiar with linux...

Any prices?  I'd love to get one for myself, and use a linux box as a disk
server for it.

I've checked out the linux-arm page, any other sources of information,
prices etc would be greatly appreciated.

-- 
Bill Broadley           [email-masked]               UCD Math Sys-Admin
Linux is great.         http://math.ucdavis.edu/~bill			PGP-ok

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 21:40:45 +0100 (BST)

> 	Some JavaVM implementation.

At the moment the only StrongARM hardware that Linux runs on is, I think,
the Digital EBSA.  This is diskless and has Ethernet.  I don't think we
have Java for ARM Linux yet, though hopefully it wouldn't be too hard.  I
don't think XFree86 is ported, but again it probably wouldn't be too
difficult if you had the hardware.

phil

---

From: Stephen Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 02:16:44 +0100 (BST)

> difficult if you had the hardware.

Sorry to contradict, but you're totally wrong. Linux HAS been ported to the 
StrongARM Risc PC, as has X. The only ARM chips that aren't supported are 
the ARM 6/7 series. I don't know about the Java support at the moment, but
for more details, see Russ King's homepage at:
     
      http://whirligig.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~rmk92/armlinux.html

Full details of his port can be found there.

Hope this helps

Stephen

---

From: Philip Blundell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 10:44:29 +0100 (BST)

> the ARM 6/7 series. I don't know about the Java support at the moment, but

Oh yes, I forgot the RiscPC.

XFree86 is _not_ ported to the ARM.  There is an Xserver with support for
the VIDC flat framebuffer, but not the various cards that XFree86
supports.

I think the ARM6 may supported now as well.

phil