Subject: X86 -> ARM cross compiler is here!

From: David Alan Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 97 16:26:52 BST

Hi,
  On ftp.compsoc.man.ac.uk in /pub/acorn/ARMLinux is:

armtools.tgz - a complete set of everything you need (except what I've
forgotten) to build your ARM Linux kernel on an x86 Linux PC.

linux-EarlyA-Ether1-NFSBoot - a kernel for A300/A400/?A540? with drivers
for floppy, Acorn Ether1 and MFM hard drives.  It appears to netboot
but I haven't actually tried to access the drives with it.

To use the armtools you need to untar them in /usr/arm/tools,
then get your fresh kernel source, apply the ARM patches and then
edit the flags to tell it what machine you've got.

Now edit the top level Makefile to change the CROSS_COMPILE variable
to:

/usr/arm/tools/bin/arm-unknown-linuxaout-

make xconfig, and then do everything for a normal kernel and
finish off by 

make Image

this will leave you with a freshly cooked ARM Linux kernel in 
arch/arm/boot/Image

Dave