Subject: ARM Linux and network layer

From: Andras Toth <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 22:28:27 +0200

Dear all,

My name is Andras Toth, I am responsible for Linux development at my
company.
Please help me to find any solution to my problem below:

I 've just managed to install )(and fix some bugs ) in Cirrus Logic
ARM-Linux into EPD7212 Evaluation Board. This board also has an ethernet

chip , so I tried to install an IP-capable Linux for it.

BUT: We cannot use IP ( nor ICMP  )

I do understand there is no official support for this port, but our
project
seems to be really important for us
(we have to produce a demo board 2 weeks later) , so please help us or
forward
this request to whom it may concern:

There are the protocols configured in the kernel , because during the
boot process

kernel says Protocols:  ICMP,. UDP, TCP installed. Also says RT netlink
socket OK.

!!!!!!!!!!!
The IP address is successfully obtained by RARP from the host PC, so
there
is no problem about this protocol !
!!!!!!!!

According to the driver logs (and ifconfig packet counter results) the
packets are transmitted and received but none of the
underlying layers ( IP, ICMP ) can access them.
For example, the host PC sends a ping ( echo request)  to client (ARM) ,

the packet counter increases successfully but there is no answer sent.
On trying the reverse direction ( from PC to ARM )  ,  ARM receives the
packet and seems to send back something to the PC but there are no
messages on the screen about it neither the PC nor the ARM side.

If I install a socket server in the ARM,  PC cannot access it. It is
also impossible to 'log in' to a PC side server socket.

Wolud ypou give me some tips to find the error in the kernel code ? How
the net layer works exactly ?  Is it possible to 'debug' some protocols
? Is it possible, that ethernet driver code 'traps' some protocols ? If
not, where is the protocol 'dispathcer' in the kernel ?

Thank you in advance,

Andras Toth
Software  Engineer
Guardware Systems
Hungary

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]