Subject: Screen mode change

From: "Melis, A. (Angelo)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 11:06:51 +0200

Hi,

I finally compiled a working kernel (2.4.0-test5-rmk2) for my RISC PC 700
(still testing, but looks stable). Thanks to everyone who replied to my
questions. 

But I noticed that the screenmode is much lower then kernel 2.0.36. Is it
possible to set the screenmod higher for the new kernel ? And if so ... how
?

Thanks in advance,
Angelo

Angelo Melis
Technical Specialist
AINO N.V.
email: [email-masked]

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: Peter Naulls <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 10:14:27 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>

> possible to set the screenmod higher for the new kernel ? And if so ... how

You want the fbset program - if you're using Debian, then this is
packaged.

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Peter Naulls - [email-masked]
 Homepage - http://free.prohosting.com/~chocky/
 Java for RISC OS and ARM - http://free.prohosting.com/~chocky/java/
 Debian Linux on RiscPCs - http://www.erble.freeserve.co.uk/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 21:10:24 +0100 (BST)

> possible to set the screenmod higher for the new kernel ? And if so ... how

You can set the boot-time mode by supplying (eg) "video=1024x768@60".
However, your monitor must be able to cope with it (and you must tell
Linux what your monitor is using "video=mon:hmin:hmax:vmin:vmax"

You can change it at run time using the "fbset" utility.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |            http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/            /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |