Subject: Kernel 2.4.0-test6-rmk6 released

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 18:03:55 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

Linux Kernel version 2.4.0-test6-rmk6 is now on the ARM Linux FTP site,
which can be found at:

  ftp://ftp.arm.linux.org.uk/pub/armlinux/source/kernel-patches/v2.4/patch-2.4.0-test6-rmk6.gz

Pre-requsists:
--------------

To use this patch, you will need to obtain the following:

*	Linus' 2.4.0-test6 kernel source
	  ftp://ftp.xx.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/

Replace 'xx' with your two-character country code.

Things to watch out for:
------------------------

*	There have been reports on the main linux-kernel mailing list
	about possible minor corruption of ext2fs filesystems.  The
	symptoms are that fsck complains that the counts are wrong.
	Although these appear to have been one-offs, if you do
	experience this, please let the mailing lists know.

Changelog:
----------

2.4.0-test6-rmk6

*	Create arch/arm/mach-sa1100 and friends, move some	[me]
	of the architecture stuff into there
*	Pass EXTRAVERSION into any install.sh script		[me]
*	Move various header files into include/asm-arm/mach	[me]
*	Kill processor flushing exports (I don't believe they	[me]
	are used) - please let me know ASAP if this causes you
	a problem
*	Make DEC21142 sleep a "fixup"				[me]
*	Drop out the machine-type PCI stuff into relevent	[me]
	arch/arm/mach-* directory
*	Make DMA and Acorn-related SCSI stuff use PCI cache	[me]
	coherency macros instead of going directly for CPU stuff
*	Fix problem in ptrace implementation			[me]
*	Clean up various make files to use new style		[me]
*	Most of the CPU functions got renamed for clarity	[me]
*	Reserve special DMA memory on A5000/Archimedes boot	[me]
*	Don't map the flash in on footbridge-based platforms	[me]
*	Fix section names in vmlinux-armo.lds.in		[me]
*	Fix ether1_writebuffer/ether1_readbuffer		[me]
*	Make nwflash ioremap the flash (untested)		[me]
*	Update ICSIDE wrt DMA changes				[me]
*	Fix acornfb screen size on old machines			[me]
*	Fix old machine locks					[me]
*	Kill dma_cache_* functions				[me]
*	Patch 393/1
*	Patch 395/1

2.4.0-test6-rmk5

*	Includes bootp.lds! (and a fix to the makefile to stop	[me]
	it being deleted)
*	Fix mach-types.h generation so its present before we	[me]
	build anything
*	Change ARM stuff to use __virt_to_bus instead of the	[me]
	virt_to_bus
*	Update footbridge mm initialisation			[me]
*	Update sa1100 mm initialisation				[me]
*	Clean up drivers/acorn/char/Makefile			[me]
*	Fix alim15x3 ide driver					[Shaun Savage]
*	Use higher-resolution palette in cyber2000fb		[Pete Zaitcev]

2.4.0-test6-rmk4

*	Fix memzero implementation				[me/dwmw2/prumpf]
*	Split pagetable_init functionality into memory table	[me]
	initialisation and io table initialisations.
*	Allocate resources for prefetchable and			[me]
	non-prefetchable PCI regions
*	Fix A5000 floppy DMA					[me]
*	Various task struct optimisations			[me]
*	Various string function optimisations			[me]
*	USB 'input.o' fix					[me]
*	Make cyberpro option depend on CONFIG_PCI		[me]

2.4.0-test6-rmk3

*	Split out machine types from asm-arm/system.h		[me]
	(see arch/arm/tools/mach-types for the list)
*	Brought semaphores inline with x86			[me/Matthew Wilcox]
*	Fix Oops on RiscPC with Sysrq-M				[me]
	(it will still report wrong values though)
*	Clean up initrd freeing to use generic free region code	[me]
*	Kill PageSkip/PG_skip					[me]
*	Make USB use initcalls					[me]
*	NetFilter fixes						[Paul `Rusty' Russell]
*	Patch 391/1
*	Patch 388/1
*	Patch 389/1
*	Patch 390/1

2.4.0-test6-rmk2

*	PCI resource setup fix					[Linus Torvalds]
*	Fix pci_update_resource to complain on failure and	[me]
	to handle ROM cases
*	Fix compressed bootup infinite loop on NetWinder	[me]
*	Fix Netwinder IDE					[me]

2.4.0-test6-rmk1

*	arch/arm/special has been sent to the great directory	[me]
	pool in the sky.
*	Added 'make bootpImage' to create a zImage+Initrd	[me]
	(Only RiscPC and EBSA285, not tested yet)
*	move #ifdef architecture to head-armo.S			[me]
*	Fix IDE such that it detects W83C553 again correctly	[me]
*	Patch 380/1
*	Patch 383/1
*	Patch 384/1

2.4.0-test5-rmk3

*	More cleaning up of assembler rules			[me/Michael Elizabeth Chastain]
*	Issue warning when obsolete code is used		[me]
*	Fix warning in dma-rpc.c				[me]
*	Fix occasional oops on reboot on RiscPC			[me]
*	Make RED led turn on when halted on NetWinder		[me]
*	Fix FAS216 reset timeout to be 250ms			[me]
*	Fix opening of busmice					[me]
*	Make cyber2000fb available to everyone			[me]
*	Wrap fs/partitions/acorn.c sensibly and clean it up	[me]
*	Fix architecture incompatabilities in			[me/Chris Rutter]
	fs/partitions/acorn.h
*	Add Pleb machine type macros				[me]
*	Fix fbcon "insert char" bug				[me]
*	Patch 377/1
*	Patch 379/1

2.4.0-test5-rmk2

*	More moving of assembler rules				[me]
*	Pull small bit of Angel boot code into head.S and	[me]
	reallocate the registers in the architecture code
*	Kill local_bh_count and local_irq_count in favour of	[me]
	irq_stat
*	More ARM2/ARM3 fixes					[Dave Gilbert]
*	Optimise ret_from_syscall				[me/Phil Blundell]
*	Make various strings/arrays const			[Phil Blundell]
*	Make arch/arm/kernel/signal.c more efficient		[Phil Blundell]
*	Update SA1100 IrDA driver				[me]
*	Make IrDA discovery random time slot actually appear	[me]
	to be random
*	Cleanup IrDA initialisation				[me]
*	Make the irias "Device" "DeviceName" object contain the	[me]
	correct value after a sysctl write to
	/proc/sys/net/irda/devname

2.4.0-test5-rmk1

*	Reduced inclusion of files from include/linux back into	[me]
	include/asm-arm
*	Added definitions for clf() and stf()			[me/Phil Blundell]
*	Fixed resource limits					[Phil Blundell]
*	Fix get_user and friends to return -EFAULT not -ENOTBLK	[me/Phil Blundell]
*	Old ARM2/ARM3 semaphore asm				[Dave Gilbert]
*	Remove redundant get_sp()				[me/Phil Blundell]
*	Various L7200 updates					[Steve Hill]
*	Various CL-PS7500FE updates				[Jason Gunthorpe]
*	Fix EBSA285 PAGE_OFFSET/PHYS_OFFSET			[me]
*	Couple of "dirty" USB fixes				[me]
*	CS8900 driver						[Jason Gunthorpe]
*	Fix Promise PDC202xx driver				[Andre Hedrick]
*	Remove 50baud to 150baud that the 21285 can't handle	[me]
*	Fix ASM makefile rules					[me]
*	Optimise user string functions				[Phil Blundell]
*	Fix no_dma warning					[me]

2.4.0-test4-rmk1

*	Added 'ConfigVars' to document EBSA285-based config	[me]
	definitions
*	Combined A5000 and Archimedes ports more		[me]
*	Various config.in cleanups				[me]
*	Cleanup DMA support					[me]
*	Allow larger ram sizes on NetWinder			[Ralph Siemsen]
*	Correct EBSA285 IRQ mappings				[me]
*	Make sure BUG() isn't recursive				[me]
*	Add half-word data abort support to ARM720		[Cliff Brake]
*	Support baud rates above 200baud in 21285 driver	[me]
*	Fix return types in SA1100 framebuffer driver		[me]
*	Fix Winbond 83977 IrDA driver				[me]
*	Fix compiler error in arch-ebsa285/irq.h		[me/Bill Arbaugh]
*	Fix missing definition of have_isa_bridge		[me/Bill Arbaugh]

2.4.0-test3-pre8-rmk1

*	Cleanup dma support					[me]

2.4.0-test3-pre7-rmk1

*	Cleanup make of arch/arm/lib				[me]
*	Fix inclusion of linux/config.h				[me]
*	Make oldlatches.c compatable with A5000			[me]
*	Made fd1772.c initialisation conditional on		[me]
	machine_is_arc()
*	Made serial_21285.c properly modular			[me]
*	Cyber2000 DMPS support					[Ralph Siemsen]
*	Added architecture number for Itsy			[me]
*	unaligned.h now handles 64-bit quantities		[me]
*	Allow unix domain sockets to pass up device ioctls	[me]

2.4.0-test2-ac1-rmk3

*	More Configure.help entries				[George France]
*	Temporarily disable omission of frame pointer during	[me]
	debug
*	SA1100 stuff						[Nico Pitre]
*	Add basic elements of PM support			[me]
*	Move SA1100 architecture Victor power off routine	[me]
	to arch.c
*	Fix oops caused by kecardd when debian runs		[me]
	start-stop-daemon
*	Add "keepinitrd" option to preserve the initrd memory	[me]
	while kernel is running.
*	Fix bug in misc.c preventing misc devices being opened	[me]
*	Fix warnings in nwbutton.c				[me]
*	Add initial SA1100 FIR irda driver (SIR only atm)	[me]
*	Stop NetWinder IR driver running >115200baud		[me]
	(needs investigating why it doesn't work)
*	Kill arch_power_off()					[me]
*	Fix warnings in keyboard.c caused by SA1100 keyboard	[me]
	header file.
*	Fix various warnings in IrDA code			[me]
*	Re-architect skb handling in IrLAP code			[me]
*	Temporary structure size and alignment fixes (will be	[me]
	removed in next version)
*	Fix IrDA parameters infinite loop			[me]

2.4.0-test2-ac1-rmk2

*	SA1100 LART Configure.help entry			[J.D. Bakker]
*	elevator (block device queue) fixes			[Jens Axboe]
*	read() functionality restored to Cyberpro grabber	[me]
*	Kill unnecessary MOD_*_USE_COUNT in videodev		[me]

2.4.0-test2-ac1-rmk1

*	Assabet and SA1100 framebuffer Configure.help entries	[Tak-Shing Chan]
	added
*	Make CLPS7500 v3 architecture				[Phil Blundell]
*	Kill redundant check in binfmt_aout.c			[me]

2.4.0-test1-ac22-rmk2

*	Added various Configure.help entries			[Jamey Hicks]
*	Change "Bitsy" to "Compaq iPAQ 3600"			[Jamey Hicks]
*	Cleaned up include files in arch/arm/{kernel,mm}	[me]
*	Removed reporting of expansion cards in boot messages	[me]
	(look under /proc/bus/ecard)
*	Update ptrace						[me/Phil Blundell]
*	Make old 21285 major/minor compatability a config	[me]
	 option
*	Revert to "traditional" way of IDE interrupt handling	[me]
*	Fix SA1100 FB driver prototypes				[me]
*	Fix SA1100 IRQ header file				[me]
*	Fix Shark __ASSEMBLER__ macro				[me]
*	Kill ARM2/3 xchg for shorts				[me]

2.4.0-test1-ac22-rmk1

*	Cleaned up xchg_str/__bad_xchg				[me]
*	Cleanup asm/system.h, asm/dma.h, asm/irq.h includes	[me]
*	Removed debugging strings in hw-footbridge when not	[me]
	debugging
*	Removed memparse routine from ARM specific files	[me]
*	Fixed leak in SIGSEGV siginfo				[me]
*	Make it possible for baddataabort to continue		[me]
*	Move defkeymap-acorn.c to drivers/acorn/char		[me]
*	Move console.c to drivers/char				[me]
*	Back out some changes in the floppy driver		[me]
*	Make NFSD cache entries time out after 2 minutes	[me]
	(fixes problems with NFS serving root-NFS booting
	 machines without clocks)
*	Pull out virt_to_* and friends into asm/memory.h	[me]
	(this file should not be included by non-asm/*.h
	 files)
*	Backed out change to bootmem.c				[me]

2.4.0-test1-ac19-rmk1

*	Register optimised ARM720 processor support		[me]
*	am79c961 received byte accounting			[me]
*	More configuration cleanups				[me]
*	Use actual footbridge mode value rather than		[me]
	configuration-option derived version
*	Always display CPU type					[Nicolas Pitre]
*	SA1100 updates						[Nicolas Pitre]

2.4.0-test1-ac14-rmk1

*	Don't scan the PCI bus if we're not in central		[me]
	function mode
*	Remove lock/unlock_8390_module from etherh		[me]
*	Revert kernel/sched.c del_timer_sync() change		[me]

2.4.0-test1-ac7-rmk1

*	Removed redundant adr in head.S				[me]
*	Move isapnp_disable to arch.c for NetWinder		[me]
*	Move DC21285 ISA port registration into dec21285.c	[me]
*	Don't disable floppy on SA1100 architectures		[me]
*	Added some SA1100 bits					[me]
*	Don't program sl82c105 hardware for PIO when we're	[me]
	using DMA
*	Make sure bdflush and kupdate are running (clean+	[me]
	reliable method)
*	Make SA1100's serial port for decompression messages	[me]
	run-time selectable by architecture number

2.4.0-test1-ac6-rmk1

*	Fix bug in EBSA110 driver causing tx queue to be put	[me]
	to sleep
*	Kill some msr spsr_c, #value				[me]
*	Fix portability issues in netfilter code		[me]
*	Fix no-ide-dma problem in sl82c105.c			[me]
*	Make sl82c105 use 32bit IO and unmask irqs in PIO mode	[me]
*	CLPS7500 bits						[Jason Gunthorpe]
*	Make sure EBSA110 has Timer LED when LEDs configured	[me]
*	serial_21285.c initialisation cleanup			[me]
*	Added missing machine_is_graphicsclient()		[me]
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: "Hyun-Mo Chung" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 16:56:56 +0900

Hi,

It looks like arch/arm/mm/proc-arm720.S has a typo.
The following two symbols cause linker fail :
    cpu_arm720_invalidate_icache_range
    cpu_arm720_invalidate_icache_page
The linker can get happy by changing them into
    cpu_arm720_icache_invalidate_range
    cpu_arm720_icache_invalidate_page
Please let me know if I'm getting into the correct path.
Thank you.

    -Hyunmo

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 00:38:24 +0100 (BST)

> Please let me know if I'm getting into the correct path.

Yes, its correct.
   _____
  | | | |            http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/            /  /  |