Subject: RE: Improvements? (was Re: switched to strongARM and 160 Mb and D ebian 2.2 doesn't boot)

From: "Melis, A. (Angelo)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 12:09:51 +0200

Hi,
 
> 
> Scott Bambrough writes:
> > Huh?  We have had NetWinder's running with 256 MB of RAM.  We regularly
ship
> > machines with 128 MB.   It's StrongARM based.
> 
> The original mail was about a RiscPC:
Correct. I send the original message :). The platform is an RISC PC 700 with
a StrongARM 200 Mhz and 128+32MB RAM and 2 MB VRAM.

> 
> | I have debian 2.2 running for a few weeks on my RISC PC 700, with an ARM
7
> | and 64 Mb (+2 Mb VRAM). This worked rather well (did some recompiling
and
> | stuff).

Status at the moment is that I did get it to boot debian 2.2 the day before
yesterday. What I did was swapping the SIMMS around. I put the 128MB (2
banks of 64Mb) in bank 0 and the 32MB (2 banks of 16MB) in bank 1. In this
configuration the system booted. But I did get an error with fsck which
hanged after 88.8% of the check. After booting my other partition I got to
the login prompt and tried to do the fsck process by hand which gave the
error that the runtime linking of something failed. The computer hanged and
I resetted and didn't  look at at further. But yesterday I tried to reboot
into the partition and ofcourse fsck started on that partition also. It did
finish the process without any trouble, but after that there where a lot of
errors about malloc/free failing and core dumps etc. So there is still
something very wrong. I will try to reinstall everything again and see what
happens ...

Bye and thanks for all the help from everyone,
Angelo

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]