Subject: SA1100 UCB1200 audio drivers?

From: I-Gene Leong <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 12:48:04 -0700 (PDT)

I see some in the kernel (arch/arm/special), but they don't seem to run as
modules, and they don't ever seem to be included in the kernel. Are they
deprecated, and if not, how do I use them? Thanks.

-- 
I-Gene Leong
[email-masked] / 604-646-6962
"We see Linux as being much of a fad as the Internet was in 1995."
  - Irving Wladawsky-Berger, IBM VP of technology and strategy

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: Erik Mouw <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed 02 Aug 2000 22:44:18 +0100 (MDT)

> deprecated, and if not, how do I use them? Thanks.

I ported the driver from linux-2.2.x to linux-2.3.35 just to get the audio
working at all. I only did the basic things to get it compiled, nothing
more. The driver needs a major rewrite:

- make it modular
- remove the old Itsy power management stuff and replace it with the new
  linux-2.4 power management interface
- use DMA instead of polled IO
- remove the audio mixing from the kernel (policy belongs to userland)

When I have some more time in the future I will update the driver, but I
have other things to do as well.

It is correct that it isn't included in most SA1100 implementations, it is
only enabled for some platforms (Brutus, LART, and Tifon). If you want to
enable it for your platform, included it in drivers/char/mem.c. Note that
Nicolas Pitre's latest patch forgot to enable it. Get my latest patch
against Nico's stuff at

  http://www.lart.tudelft.nl/lartware/port/diff-2.4.0-test5-rmk1-np1-em1.gz

Erik

-- 
J.A.K. (Erik) Mouw, Information and Communication Theory Group, Department
of Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems,
Delft University of Technology, PO BOX 5031,  2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands
Phone: +31-15-2783635  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email: [email-masked]
WWW: http://www-ict.its.tudelft.nl/~erik/