Subject: arch/arm/special

From: Tak-Shing Chan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 17:03:07 +0800 (CST)

Hi Erik,

     Do you have plans to move the UCB1200 code, for example
mcp*.h to include/linux, audio-sa1100-mcp.c to drivers/sound and
mcp_common.c to drivers/char?  In addition, do you think it's a
good idea to take the codec routines out of audio-sa1100-mcp.c
and revert it to a header file (perhaps rename it as something
like linux/ucb1200_codec.h) such that other drivers could reuse
the inline codec code?
 
Tak-Shing Chan

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 15:26:07 +0100 (BST)

> like linux/ucb1200_codec.h) such that other drivers could reuse

There is/was recently a lot of discussion about where things should
go.  At the moment, the drivers/char directory (among others) are
becoming very bulky, and indistinct.

IMHO, moving such things into there would be a mistake at the moment.
Its probably better to leave it as is for the time being (until 2.5).
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |            http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/            /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Nicolas Pitre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 12:01:50 -0400 (EDT)

> Its probably better to leave it as is for the time being (until 2.5).

At the moment, all that stuff is currently in the now disappeared
arch/arm/special directory... and IMHO it needs a big restructuration
before it goes anywhere.

Nicolas

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 17:04:54 +0100 (BST)

> arch/arm/special directory... and IMHO it needs a big restructuration

Well, before anyone starts thinking, may I suggest a visit to your
nearest linux-kernel mailing list archives for the discussions 
from this week/last week (the thread about moving input drivers).

Also, I'd also suggest having a look at my test7 when it comes out
this weekend.

But, before anything happens, it probably ought to be discussed on
this list first.
   _____

---

From: Nicolas Pitre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 12:23:36 -0400 (EDT)

> from this week/last week (the thread about moving input drivers).

The point is: let's write a proper, modularized, UCB1200 driver.  When
it's done then we'll bother about the proper location for it.  Since this
chip provides audio, telephony, touchscreen, and other general purpose IO
lines, there might be a submodule in /drivers/sound, another in
/drivers/telephony, another in /drivers/char, and the master module in
which all submodules need to register with which location is yet not so
obvious.  All this on the same SPI port and the same interrupt.

But again, let's write the code and argue on the location when it's ready.

Nicolas

---

From: Tak-Shing Chan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 15:24:44 +0800 (CST)

> But again, let's write the code and argue on the location when it's ready.

     And before anyone writes or modifies anything, should we
have a who's-doing-what list in order to minimize duplicated
efforts?

Tak-Shing Chan