Subject: Error to run init

From: Ah Yin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 00:36:31 +0800

Hi,

	I am trying to upgrade my arm linux from 2.2.1 to 2.4. After the kernel
mount the ramdisk and try to open console and run init, it said "No such
device" when open /dev/console and "Exec format error" (errno=8) when
exec init.
	
	The ramdisk is what I used for a long time. What's wrong about that?

Yours,
Jacky

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 18:07:28 +0100 (BST)

> 	The ramdisk is what I used for a long time. What's wrong about that?

Nico's old ramdisk used the illegal major/minors for /dev/console.  It used
the serial port major/minor IDs which is just not on.

Since the major/minors for the 21285 serial port has now been officially
allocated, they have changed.  Also, Nico has fixed his ramdisk to use
the correct major/minors now.

Hence, please upgrade your ramdisk image.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |            http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/            /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |