Subject: Non-portability in kernel

From: Chris Rutter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 23:20:32 +0100

Um, does no one care that code like this:

  struct disc_record {
    unsigned char  log2secsize;
    ...
    unsigned short zone_spare;
    unsigned long  root;
    unsigned long  disc_size;
    unsigned short disc_id;
    unsigned char  disc_name[10];
    ...

isn't portable to anything which doesn't have identical type sizes, 
endianness and packing to gcc 2.95-arml?

It is assumed no one will want to ever mount a FileCore disc in anything
but Acorn hardware?

c.

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 09:35:35 +0100 (BST)

> Um, does no one care that code like this:

That's very a harsh way of putting it.  Yes, people do care, however
no one has reported this specific area as a problem before now, and
therefore it hasn't been fixed.

What would've been more useful is to have received a patch to correct
this.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |            http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/            /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Erik Mouw <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri 04 Aug 2000 13:02:57 +0100 (MDT)

> What would've been more useful is to have received a patch to correct

Or at least document that it is non-portable and what should be done to
make it that way.

Erik

-- 
"I'm just this guy you know?"  -- Zaphod Beeblebrox in
"The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams