Subject: crystal driver and irq #0

From: Erik Mouw <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue 29 Aug 2000 16:25:28 +0100 (MDT)

Hi all,

I'm hacking on the Crystal CS8900 ethernet driver (cs89x0.c) and I'm
currently at a point where it can send packets (I can see arp broadcasts),
but somehow there are no interrupts processed. When I try to ping another
host, I can see the interrupts from the response packets in
/proc/interrupts, but the driver doesn't respond. I'm using interrupt #0
(GPIO0 interrupt on the SA1100), is there somehow a big no-no on that
interrupt?

Erik

-- 
J.A.K. (Erik) Mouw, Information and Communication Theory Group, Department
of Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems,
Delft University of Technology, PO BOX 5031,  2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands
Phone: +31-15-2783635  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email: [email-masked]
WWW: http://www-ict.its.tudelft.nl/~erik/

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: Nicolas Pitre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 11:13:19 -0400 (EDT)

> (GPIO0 interrupt on the SA1100), is there somehow a big no-no on that

No problem here.  Some drivers might think that IRQ autoprobing failed
when the returned IRQ is 0, but that's easy to fix, and that's probably
not the problem you're experimenting.

Nicolas

---

From: Erik Mouw <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue 29 Aug 2000 17:27:45 +0100 (MDT)

> not the problem you're experimenting.

What does ifconfig say about the interrupt number in that case? 

Erik

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 16:35:01 +0100 (BST)

> What does ifconfig say about the interrupt number in that case? 

Really, irq0 is an in-grained brokenness in the x86 Linux people.  IRQ0 as
far as they are concerned is a universal "this interrupt is does not exist",
rather than "-1" which is incidentally specified as "no interrupt" in the
PCI specs...
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |            http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/            /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Nicolas Pitre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 11:36:57 -0400 (EDT)

> What does ifconfig say about the interrupt number in that case? 

Well... if it's 0 it should say 0.  Or maybe it is broken and thinks there
is no interrupt?  I don't remember how it behaved...  See 'cat
/proc/interrupts' for the ultimate reference.

Nicolas