Subject: Linux for ARM compilation remarks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 13:29:27 +0200 (MEST)

Hello,

I am not sure I am writing to the write person.However.I would like to report 
some bugs,.. probably.
Using your last kernel version : 2.4.0-test6 with  the correspondant patch.I am 
compiling Linux for an 'asm-arm' architecture on a 'arch-rpc' machine.

*During compilation a SUBDIR called 'special' is asked to be compiled 
in /arch/arm/Makefile, SUBDIR which is not present in the kernel.
-> solution to suppress line 169 of the Makefile : arch/arm/special
	line 172    "       "    : DRIVERS += arch/arm/special/special.a
-> or develop the 'special' SUBDIR

*Also in file /include/asm-arm/arch-rpc/io.h, the compiler doesn't like the 
DECLARE_IO stuff with methods __inX(----------). Do know why
I have just wrote the three methods and it gone through.
->unsigned char(--------)
->unsigned short(--------)
->unsigned int(--------)

*Moreover I had a error in the file /arch/arm/kernel/ecard.c
	line 892: proc_bus is not declared.
-> I think there is a define problem with CONFIG_PROC_FS which appears in
/include/linux/proc_fs.h.
I have enabled the /proc file system and it worked

*Finally I have other failure which I can't manage to solve. 

Here are the compiler output :
drivers/acorn/char/acorn-char.o: In function `handle_rawcode':
drivers/acorn/char/acorn-char.o(.text+0x2bc): undefined reference to 
`handle_scancode'
drivers/acorn/char/acorn-char.o: In function `ps2kbd_rx':
drivers/acorn/char/acorn-char.o(.text+0x418): undefined reference to 
`kbd_pt_regs'
drivers/acorn/char/acorn-char.o(.text+0x41c): undefined reference to 
`keyboard_tasklet'
drivers/acorn/char/acorn-char.o: In function `pcf8583_attach':
drivers/acorn/char/acorn-char.o(.text+0x948): undefined reference to 
`i2c_transfer'
drivers/acorn/char/acorn-char.o(.text+0x95c): undefined reference to 
`i2c_attach_client'
drivers/acorn/char/acorn-char.o: In function `pcf8583_probe':
drivers/acorn/char/acorn-char.o(.text+0x980): undefined reference to `i2c_probe'
drivers/acorn/char/acorn-char.o: In function `pcf8583_detach':
drivers/acorn/char/acorn-char.o(.text+0x99c): undefined reference to 
`i2c_detach_client'
drivers/acorn/char/acorn-char.o: In function `pcf8583_get_datetime':
drivers/acorn/char/acorn-char.o(.text+0xa5c): undefined reference to 
`i2c_transfer'
drivers/acorn/char/acorn-char.o: In function `pcf8583_set_datetime':
drivers/acorn/char/acorn-char.o(.text+0xcc0): undefined reference to 
`i2c_master_send'
drivers/acorn/char/acorn-char.o(.text+0xcdc): undefined reference to 
`i2c_master_send'
drivers/acorn/char/acorn-char.o: In function `pcf8583_set_ctrl':
drivers/acorn/char/acorn-char.o(.text+0xd38): undefined reference to 
i2c_master_send' rivers/acorn/char/acorn-char.o: In function `pcf8583_read_mem':
drivers/acorn/char/acorn-char.o(.text+0xe04): undefined reference to 
`i2c_transfer'
drivers/acorn/char/acorn-char.o: In function `pcf8583_write_mem':
drivers/acorn/char/acorn-char.o(.text+0xedc): undefined reference to 
`i2c_transfer'
drivers/acorn/char/acorn-char.o: In function `i2c_ioc_init':
drivers/acorn/char/acorn-char.o(.text.init+0x110): undefined reference to 
`i2c_bit_add_bus'
drivers/acorn/char/acorn-char.o: In function `pcf8583_init':
drivers/acorn/char/acorn-char.o(.text.init+0x130): undefined reference to 
`i2c_add_driver'
make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1 

If you could help me, I am still a newbie.

	In advance, Thank you.

		Chris. ([email-masked])

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 14:05:16 +0100 (BST)

[email-masked] writes:
> I am not sure I am writing to the write person.  However, I would like to
> report some bugs,.. probably.
> Using your last kernel version : 2.4.0-test6 with  the correspondant patch.
> I am compiling Linux for an 'asm-arm' architecture on a 'arch-rpc' machine.

The ARM patch for test6 hasn't been released yet, and it doesn't compile
directly from Linus' sources.

> -> or develop the 'special' SUBDIR

As of the to be test6 patch, this directory is now removed so no longer
an issue.

> ->unsigned short(--------)

No changes there; works for me.  Please supply the compiler errors/warnings.

> I have enabled the /proc file system and it worked

Ok, must fix that then, but /proc should be compiled in (except if you
aren't going to be using stuff like the ps command and have severe memory
limitations).

> *Finally I have other failure which I can't manage to solve. 

Can you supply your .config file please? (in private mail).

Thanks.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |            http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/            /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |