Subject: Re: Kernel bootsequence (was: Unable to write registers)

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 13:10:19 +0100 (BST)

Please note that I've changed the CC: to point at the correct list.

"Arjan Opmeer (EMN)" writes:
> I arrived at the same conclusion as Nicholas and fixed it the same
> way by calling the init function from init/main.c. Now, I can fully
> initialise the USB controller and have it detect 1 port connected
> to the controller.

Please DON'T do this.  Please try out my latest 2.4.0-test6 kernel and
report back.  I'd like some feedback from you guys, so that I know that
the fix which is in the test7 pre patches works for you.  If not, we
need to try again before test7 comes out for real.

> It is an ugly solution indeed.

And as such, it is not a solution that should even be considered.  Its
great as a "quick hack" to get the kernel running, but nothing more than
that.

> Okay, are you trying to get this changed in the base kernel?

No - for a couple of reasons:

1. its "ugly".  Basically, if there is a bug, and the fix is more ugly
   than the bug itself, the bug will remain.  If the fix is less ugly
   than the bug, then the fix goes in.

2. We believe that we've fixed your problem in the latest test6-rmk
   patch, and test7 pre patches.

Therefore, the more correct fix that I proposed is already in, but still
needs you guys to say "it fixed it".
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |            http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/            /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: Nicolas Pitre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 10:15:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, Russell King - ARM Linux Admin wrote:

> report back. 

I still have to make a SA1100 patch against your latest one.  Hopefully
tonight...

Nicolas

---

From: Brad Parker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 20:44:29 -0400

I never saw the original message which is (partially) quoted here and
I wonder if it ever came across the list (I don't think it did).

Could someone repost it?  it appears to have to do with a USB controller
(SA1111 perhaps?) which is of some interest to several people on this
list.

thanks!
-brad