Subject: SA1100 booting kernel problems.

From: James Alford <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 11:51:47 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

I am trying to get the Intel StrongARM SA1100 Multimedia Development Board
working with a linux kernel.

I can get the 2.2.14-rmk5-np17 kernel up but it crashes at 
"POSIX conformance teting by UNIFIX"
This is probably due to the fact that the kernel is built for a Brutus. I
have not yet started to edit the arch specfic bits yet.

My problem is that with 2.4.0-test5-rmk1-np1. I can't get the kerenl to
start. The head stuff starts ok and decompresses the kernel outputing the
line

"Uncompressing Linux........................ done, botting the kernel."

It just stops there it does not seem to step into the uncompressed kernel.

I think that the 2.5-test5 head stuff is working as it will boot the
2.2.14 kernel.

I would prefer to modify the 2.4 tree to work with the SA1100 MM devel
board rather than the 2.2 tree.

If anybody could point me in the right direction to sort this out I would
be most gratefull.

James Alford

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: Erik Mouw <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri 04 Aug 2000 13:36:27 +0100 (MDT)

> working with a linux kernel.

That's a Brutus. Are you sure that it is not the SA1110 kit (the Assabet)?

> have not yet started to edit the arch specfic bits yet.

So, you don't have a Brutus, otherwise you wouldn't have to edit the arch
specific bits. 2.2.14 has Brutus support, but is obsolete w.r.t. Assabet.

> It just stops there it does not seem to step into the uncompressed kernel.

Sounds like inproper DRAM timing to me.

> If anybody could point me in the right direction to sort this out I would

If you really have an Assabet (SA1110 CPU), have a look at

  http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~wearable/software/assabet.html

Oh, and subscribe to the sa1100-linux mailing list. The LART documentation
page has information:

  http://www.lart.tudelft.nl/doc.php3

Erik

PS: note that I don't have a Brutus or Assabet

-- 
J.A.K. (Erik) Mouw, Information and Communication Theory Group, Department
of Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems,
Delft University of Technology, PO BOX 5031,  2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands
Phone: +31-15-2783635  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email: [email-masked]
WWW: http://www-ict.its.tudelft.nl/~erik/

---

From: "J.D. Bakker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 18:09:38 +0200

>> It just stops there it does not seem to step into the uncompressed kernel.

The kernel expects to be called with specific values in registers r0 and
r1; the correct value for IIRC r1 has changed in 2.3.late. Supplying the
wrong values can lead to the symptoms you describe. See
linux/arch/arm/kernel/head-armv.S for additional clues.

What bootloader are you using ?

JDB.

--
LART. 250 MIPS under one Watt. Free hardware design files.
http://www.lart.tudelft.nl/