Subject: porting linux to SA1110 Assabet?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 15:13:43 +0800

Hi :

	Many people base on 2.4.0-test2-ac1-rmk2-np1 kernel, Can I ask a very simple question. What is the meaning of this version name? (I mean ac1, rmk2, or np1) And where can I get one(sorry I have spend time finding such kernel, but till now only 
2.4.0-test1-ac7-rmk1-np6-hh1 I can find)

Cheers

Peter Chen.

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 11:00:30 +0100 (BST)

[email-masked] writes:
> 	Many people base on 2.4.0-test2-ac1-rmk2-np1 kernel, Can I ask a
> very simple question. What is the meaning of this version name? (I mean
> ac1, rmk2, or np1) And where can I get one(sorry I have spend time finding
> such kernel, but till now only 2.4.0-test1-ac7-rmk1-np6-hh1 I can find)

Its a potential (real) 2.4.0 kernel, test2 candidate.  On top of that, it
contains Alan Cox first patch (ac1).  On top of that, there is my second
patch for that (2.4.0-test2-ac1) version, and Nico Pitres first patch
on top of that (2.4.0-test2-ac1-rmk2) version.

So, from the other version you describe:

2.4.0	potential 2.4.0 kernel
test1	test1 candidate
ac7	Alan Cox 7th patch
rmk1	My first patch
np6	Nico's 6th patch
hh1	HH's first patch (who's HH?)

Normally, people only produce patches that are either:

1. between theirs and Linus' kernel release (ie, Nico may produce
   a patch between 2.4.0-test1 and 2.4.0-test1-ac7-rmk1-np6 which would
   contain in there the -ac7 and -rmk1 patches).
2. between theirs and the patch directly below them (ie, Nico produces
   a patch beween 2.4.0-test1-ac7-rmk1 and 2.4.0-test1-ac7-rmk1-np6).
3. between their current and previous versions (eg, 2.4.0-test1-ac7-rmk1-np5
   and 2.4.0-test1-ac7-rmk1-np6).

When you mean "where can I get one" do you mean kernel, patch, or version
number?

The -rmk? stuff isn't distributed as kernel tar balls because bandwidth is
expensive around here (and uploading 20MB per is just too huge to even
contemplate).  They're distributed as patches ontop of Linus kernel, with or
without Alans patch applied.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |            http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/            /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |