Subject: Re: your mail

From: "Sun, Lei" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 14:12:48 -0400

Dear sir:
      Sorry for my intrusion! I know you are an expert in linux kernel and
boot loader from www.handhelds.org. I was recently trying to port Linux to
SA1110 development board. I built the toochain, glibc, arm-linux c compiler
and linux kernel (zImage) successfully ( I didn't see error message when I
built them). I used the nicolas pitre's angboot utility to download the
kernel image and the ramdisk into my target, it seems nothing wrong when I
was downloading. But after all the job has been down and I started minicom ,
I can't see any message on the screen. it seems that the linux kernel didn't
run on my target. 
      UP to this point, I don't know what's wrong, since I even couldn't get
error message from the screen!
      I was wondering that after the kernel has been downloaded, what make
the kernel program to start,  is that going to be automatic after I define
the entry address in configuration file for nico's angleboot tools?
      Do you have any suggestion? I have been torturing by this problem for
a week. and realy need help!
      I appreciate your help!
Thank you

regards

Lei Sun

Lei Sun
Software Engineer
AEPTEC Microsystems, Inc.
Rockville, MD 20877

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: Nicolas Pitre <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 15:50:30 -0400 (EDT)

> I can't see any message on the screen. it seems that the linux kernel didn't

What is your target?
Which serial port do you use (UART1 or UART3)?
How did you configure the kernel build?
Did you modify the kernel source somehow?

What you should take care of is the serial port used on your target and
ensure the kernel is actually using the right one.  Some places to look
for are:

linux/arch/arm/compressed/head-sa1100.S
linux/arch/arm/compressed/setup-sa1100.S (depends on the kernel version)
linux/include/asm/arch-sa1100/uncompress.h
linux/arch/arm/kernel/debug-armv.S
linux/drivers/char/serial_sa1100.c

Nicolas