Subject: Root NFS and SA-11x0 not cooperating?

From: I-Gene Leong <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 09:48:49 -0700 (PDT)

I haven't done any major investigation into this yet, but I created an NFS
mount and a kernel that would use it as root. The thing hangs right before
/sbin/init gets called, I think... or maybe it hangs before the scripts
get called. Anyone else have this problem?

-- 
I-Gene Leong
[email-masked] / 604-646-6962
"We see Linux as being much of a fad as the Internet was in 1995."
  - Irving Wladawsky-Berger, IBM VP of technology and strategy

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: I-Gene Leong <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 12:26:15 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Jeff Sutherland wrote:
> > Did a little more investigation... the kernel seems to do its 
> > job, getting
> > to the point of execing /sbin/init, so maybe it's /sbin/init 
> > that doesn't
> > like the NFS mount?
> > Hmm. What if I were to move it out of the way...
> Of course /sbin/init has been compiled for the ARM processor, no? ;)

Yes, actually, it has, and no, moving it did nothing. (Tried to exec
/bin/sh, which didn't work, either.) :)

Our boards boot off of ramdisks right now, so all I did was copy a good
ramdisk to a directory and use that as a NFS mount. I've stuck a pile of
debugging messages into functions to see what's going on, but I'm guessing
that's not really going to help.

What version of the kernel are you running, by the way? I'm still using
2.3.99pre8-I-forget-which-patches, but I'm seriously considering giving
2.4.0test2-rmk2-np3 a shot.