Subject: Kernel 2.4.0-test1 works, but complains about fpem.o too old

From: Angelo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 23:39:13 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

I finally compiled a kernel which did not crash :). It is kernel version
2.4.0.test1-ac19-rmk1. It boots, but there are still a few minor problems
with it. Could someone please tell me how I can solve these ?

- The kernel complains that the fpem.o is too old ... Where can I found a
fpe.o which works with this kernel ?

- The kernel complains that 'device lo is down'. What does this mean ? Did I
compile something wrongly in the kernel ? I did take the defaults ...

- I cannot log into it. After the prompt is shown, I can type in 'root' and
after <return> it logs me out again (I know it is not wise to use root, but
as a rest it works :)).

- Another, unreleated question. I have a SIMTEC IDE card in the computer. Can
I use it with this kernel ? It does find it (2.0.36 did also do it, but I
cannot access it ...).

I am running it on an ARM 7 ...

Thanks in advance,
Angelo

ps. I just downloaded version 2.4.0-test5-rmk1 ... and I will compile a
kernel from this code, but I am not sure it will solve the above problems.

-- 
Angelo Melis @ home
random quote, generated by my computer:
A mathematician is a machine for
converting coffee into theorems.

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 22:53:21 +0100 (BST)

> fpe.o which works with this kernel ?

The 2.2.xx one works with 2.4 - just use the '-f' flag to insmod

> compile something wrongly in the kernel ? I did take the defaults ...

You're probably trying to mount NFS filesystems, and portmap isn't running
and the loopback device isn't up.

> after <return> it logs me out again (I know it is not wise to use root, but

That's because of point 1 above.  You can compile in nwfpe, and then load
the Acorn FPE if you so require later (make sure you do it soon after boot
though).  Using this method provides you an added safety net as well.

> kernel from this code, but I am not sure it will solve the above problems.

There are a few issues with that kernel (see an earlier Eric post), which
I'm going to clean up in 2.4.0-test5-rmk2 (which applies onto 2.4.0-test5
directly.)
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |            http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/            /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |