Subject: New kernel crashes

From: "Melis, A. (Angelo)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 09:56:52 +0200

Hi,

After some trouble with getting a working ELF toolchain, I compiled a new
kernel 2.2.13 yesterday and tried it. The kernel decompresses, switches
screenmode and shows the logo (the penguin) and I think there are some
correct info lines (1 or 2 ?) and then it starts to give a lot of errors.
There are only a few different errors, but they repeat. It goes so fast that
it is impossible to read them, but what I did saw was something about an
invalid instruction 0 (or undefined instruction), something with SWAPPER,
and something backtrace info (which I could not read that fast). Did someone
have this problems too ? And if so, how did they solve it ?

What I am running at the moment is the ARMLinux RedHat distribution, sold by
Aleph one, which has standard an 2.0.36 kernel (aout), Binutils 2.7.2.2, GCC
2.7.2.2 (both aout format). I did update some tools (Gawk, Make, etc),
binutils 2.9.1.0.40 (arm-linux compile) and GCC 2.95.2 (arm-linux compile).
The kernel I compiled was the 2.2.13 release with patch-rmk1 (I got an error
when applying patch-rmk2, so I did not use that patch ... was that stupid ?
:) ). The compile when rather well (some small problems when 2 very little
tools which are used to make the kernel didn't link with the ELF toolchain,
so I did compile these with the aout compiler), and it give a zImage and the
modules. I installed these and copied it to ADFS and tried to boot into it
... Which give the above problem. Do I still need to update some package ?
Or did I do something very wrong ? Please tell me ...

Bye,
Angelo

Angelo Melis
Technical Specialist
AINO N.V.
email: [email-masked]

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: Erik Mouw <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu 27 Jul 2000 14:18:28 +0100 (MDT)

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000 09:56:52 +0200, Melis, A. (Angelo) wrote:

Please don't crosspost between linux-arm and linux-arm-kernel. This is
clearly kernel related, so it should go to linux-arm-kernel.

> have this problems too ? And if so, how did they solve it ?

You can download a precompiled ELF toolchain (gcc-2.95.2) from the LART
site (http://www.lart.tudelft.nl/ ), or from http://www.handhelds.org/ .
The LART  toolchain only supports C and C++, the handhelds toolchain
supports C, C++, Objective C, Fortran 77, Java, and Chill.

> Or did I do something very wrong ? Please tell me ...

The rmk patches should not be applied on top of each other, they are
patches w.r.t. the mainline kernel. IIRC, linux-2.2.13 can't be compiled
with gcc-2.95.2, you really need linux-2.2.14 with patch-2.2.14-rmk6.gz .
You can't compile parts of the kernel with an ELF compiler and other parts
with an a.out compiler and hope that it works, apart from the differences
between a.out and ELF, there can also be some differences between the ARM
implementation in gcc-2.7.2.2 and gcc-2.95.2.

BTW: what kind of hardware are you using? Depending on the hardware, you
might need some extra patches on top on Russels patches.

Erik

-- 
J.A.K. (Erik) Mouw, Information and Communication Theory Group, Department
of Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems,
Delft University of Technology, PO BOX 5031,  2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands
Phone: +31-15-2783635  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email: [email-masked]
WWW: http://www-ict.its.tudelft.nl/~erik/