Subject: NFS root mounting of Assabet's filesystem

From: Jeff Sutherland <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 11:45:51 -0400

After a long struggle I'm happy to report that Nicolas Pitre's latest patch
has fixed the problem with serial_sa1100.c that was preventing me from NFS
mounting my Assabet's root filesystem.  (This is in
2.4.0-test2-ac1-rmk2-np3).  I have a slightly off-topic configuration
question however: When the NFS root filesystem is first mounted (at the end
of do_basic_setup() in init/main.c) it is mounted as read only.  Where in
the subsequent init process is it supposed to get remounted in read/write
mode?  I'm getting a lot of complaints from programs launched by the rc3.d
startup scripts about not being able to write to /var/log/..., /tmp, and so
forth, as you can imagine.  All the other issues I'm currently facing are
just the usual configuration problems, the kernel and the pcmcia networking
appear to be working quite well at this point.

Regards,
//Jeff

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Malek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 12:37:37 -0400

Jeff Sutherland wrote:

> .... I have a slightly off-topic configuration
> of do_basic_setup() in init/main.c) it is mounted as read only.

Use the command line "root=/dev/nfs rw" to the kernel.

	-- Dan