Subject: RE: Root NFS and SA-11x0 not cooperating?

From: Jeff Sutherland <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 13:37:09 -0400

> I haven't done any major investigation into this yet, but I 
> created an NFS
> mount and a kernel that would use it as root. The thing hangs 
> right before
> /sbin/init gets called, I think... or maybe it hangs before 
> the scripts
> get called. Anyone else have this problem?
> 
> -- 
> I-Gene Leong
> [email-masked] / 604-646-6962
> "We see Linux as being much of a fad as the Internet was in 1995."
>   - Irving Wladawsky-Berger, IBM VP of technology and strategy

What's your hardware platform?  This works just fine on the Assabet.  See
attached.

//Jeff

---

From: I-Gene Leong <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:40:22 -0700 (PDT)

> What's your hardware platform?  This works just fine on the Assabet.  See

Intrinsyc CerfBoard. The PCMCIA stuff I can probably ignore for a little
while, as the Cerf has an onboard CS8900 Ethernet controller.

Didn't know about the RAM disk stuff here, but that's how we are booting
it at the moment. I'll give this a spin, thanks. (Can't wait to see how
long it takes to bootstrap gcc on this thing... :)

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: Nicolas Pitre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 13:54:35 -0400 (EDT)

> while, as the Cerf has an onboard CS8900 Ethernet controller.

You'll need to modify the appropriate driver since it won't probably work
as is on your board.  Be sure you can have packets going in and out (with
network tools
on a ramdisk) before looking for NFS root.

> it at the moment. I'll give this a spin, thanks. 

You shouldn't need a ramdisk to mount your root by NFS with an on-board
ethernet port.  With PCMCIA this is another matter.

Nicolas

---

From: I-Gene Leong <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 11:05:30 -0700 (PDT)

> on a ramdisk) before looking for NFS root.

The driver's already been modified, as far as I can tell... Ethernet on it
runs quite well.

> ethernet port.  With PCMCIA this is another matter.

That's what I thought, initially, but the kernel hang is another
matter... I'm not sure what other patches have been made to the kernel to
accomodate this hardware, but it shouldn't be difficult at all to figure
that out.

I've already verified that I can mount my NFS export on the Cerf and that
everything there works fine.

---

From: I-Gene Leong <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 11:45:50 -0700 (PDT)

Did a little more investigation... the kernel seems to do its job, getting
to the point of execing /sbin/init, so maybe it's /sbin/init that doesn't
like the NFS mount?

Hmm. What if I were to move it out of the way...