Subject: Console on serial port on EBSA285

From: David Müller (ELSOFT AG) <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 10:10:26 +0200

Hello

I would like to have the console I/O redirected to
the serial port of my "VGA less" EBSA285.

I have the kernel (2.3.39 + patch-2.3.39-rmk1) configured
for "Console on serial port" and have tried the "console="
kernel parameter, but without success.

What am i missing?
        
Dave

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: Andreas Bombe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 00:41:44 +0200

> kernel parameter, but without success.

Seems like you are trying to use the standard serial driver.  During
configure, say 'Y' to "Non-standard serial port support" and then
enable the 21825 serial port support and the accompanied console on
21825 port option.

-- 
 Andreas E. Bombe <[email-masked]>    DSA key 0x04880A44
http://home.pages.de/~andreas.bombe/    http://linux1394.sourceforge.net/

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 08:05:04 +0100 (BST)

> kernel parameter, but without success.

Note that the standard serial port is a 16550-type device, not the
DC21285 on-board serial port.  To use the on-board port, you need to
select the CONFIG_SERIAL_NONSTANDARD, CONFIG_SERIAL_21285 and
CONFIG_SERIAL_21285_CONSOLE options.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |            http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/            /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |