Subject: Ooops?

From: Jason Gunthorpe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 16:52:19 -0600 (MDT)

Still working on this Cirrus board, I have it running semi-usably now, it
has been up in user land doing busy things for two hours now. But I've
got some scary messages that I have no clue about:

apt-get: unhandled page fault at pc=0x40199004, lr=0x40198fa8 (bad
address=0x0405655c, code 2)
apt-get: unhandled page fault at pc=0x40199004, lr=0x40198fa8 (bad
address=0x04077bac, code 2)

install-info (352): undefined instruction: pc=02048fa4

And this oops [did I decode it right?]

ksymoops 2.3.4 on armv3l 2.3.99-pre8-rmk2.  Options used
     -V (default)
     -K (specified)
     -L (specified)
     -O (specified)
     -m /boot/System.map-2.3.99-pre8-rmk2 (default)

Code: <1>Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 0208485c
Warning (Oops_code): trailing garbage ignored on Code: line
  Text: 'Code: <1>Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 0208485c'
  Garbage: 'Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 0208485c'
Using defaults from ksymoops -t elf32-littlearm -a arm
Warning (Oops_code_values): Code looks like message, not hex digits.  No disassembly attempted.

*pgd = 10f03811, *pmd = 10f03811, *pte = 00000000, *ppte = 00000000
Internal error: Oops: 2
CPU: 0
pc : [<c001bc50>]    lr : [<c00243d8>]
sp : c0551f70  ip : c0551f2c  fp : c0551f8c
r10: e104c09c  r9 : 401282d0  r8 : c0551ff4
Warning (Oops_set_i370_regs): garbage 'r9 : 401282d0  r8 : c0551ff4' at end of i370 register line ignored
r7 : 00000003  r6 : c0105f10  r5 : 02084864  r4 : fffffffe
r3 : c012e760  r2 : c012e768  r1 : c012e768  r0 : c0105ef8
Flags: NzCv  IRQs off  FIQs on  Mode SVC_32  Segment user
Control: EE133F10  Table: EB00313A  DAC: EA00000B
Process ntpdate (pid: 1831, stackpage=c0551000)
Stack: 
c0551f60: c00243d8 c001bc50 a0000093 ffffffff  e104c09c 4010e388 02084864 0000017f 
c0551f80: c0551fb4 c0551f90 c001c2a0 c001bb30  e104c09c 4010e388 00000000 0000017f 
c0551fa0: 00000001 4012a324 00000000 c0551fb8  c00167cc c001c28c 4010e388 00000000 
c0551fc0: 00000001 4010e38c 4010e38c 4010e388  00000000 00000001 00000001 401282d0 
c0551fe0: 4012a324 bffffc3c 00000001 bffffc1c  4011a3b4 4011a530 60000010 ffffffff 
Backtrace: 
Function entered at [<c001bb20>] from [<c001c2a0>]
 r7 = 0000017F  r6 = 02084864  r5 = 4010E388  r4 = E104C09C
Function entered at [<c001c27c>] from [<c00167cc>]
Code: e59f0044 e3540000 (e7951104) e2844001 01a00006 
Error (Oops_bfd_perror): set_section_contents Bad value

>>PC;  c001bc50 <dump_instr+130/180>   <=====
>>r10; e104c09c <END_OF_CODE+20ed3308/????>
Trace; c001bb20 <dump_instr+0/180>
Trace; c001c2a0 <baddataabort+24/c4>
Trace; c001c27c <baddataabort+0/c4>
Trace; c00167cc <__dabt_usr+2c/40>

3 warnings and 1 error issued.  Results may not be reliable.
-----------------------------

After the oops the machine seems to be fine, it is still running at least.

This oops looks really odd, like I am running ksymoops wrong??

Does anyone have some suggestions on what these messages all could mean?

Also.. The only way I was able to get the kernel to be stable was to
replace the 16meg SIMM shipped with the board with a 32Meg SIMM. The
kernel still thinks there is 16M of ram, but with the 16M part it oops all
over the place. I only have two guesses here, 
  1) There is an off-by-one type error in the memory sizing code and the
     kernel is going past the end of ram/
  2) My SIMM is bad 
  3) The memory settings (EDO/FPM/speed) are wrong, though both SIMMs are
     60ns ..

Thanks,
Jason

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: Lavu Sridhar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 23:22:07 +0530 (IST)

Hello,
	I have downloaded the kernel image (from the site u mentioned) to
the Cirrus 7500FE board using angelboot and ttyS0. After downloading I do
not see any error messages on the screen(connected to the VGA port on the
Cirrus Logic Board)

Lavu Sridhar

PS : Cirrus board's COM1 is connected to COM1 of host
     Cirrus board's COM2 is unconnected
     Cirrus board's VGA is connected to a PC monitor

Regards,
Lavu Sridhar	

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jason Gunthorpe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 14:03:25 -0600 (MDT)

> not see any error messages on the screen(connected to the VGA port on the

Nobody has written a console driver yet, so the video outputs will not
show anything. After downloading the image you have to attach a terminal
program to the serial port. 

Jason

---

From: Vikas Datta <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 14:56:14 +0530 (IST)

Hello,

> program to the serial port. 

The connections I have used for bootlader and the serial console are the
serial port (COM1) on the board and the host. After downloading the image
(using angelboot) I have used minicom in order to see the kernel messages.
Minicom does not show anything either. Can you please explain the set-up
(connection and terminal program) you have used.

Thanks,

Regards
Vikas Datta

---

From: Jason Gunthorpe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 19:19:27 -0600 (MDT)

> (connection and terminal program) you have used.

Hum, that sounds all right. can you watch the leds in the upper left
corner they will go all 8 on when then kernel is booting. Minicom should
work, if you have the serial settings right.

The best way to test minicom is to fire it up and then hit the rest
button, you should see an Angel boot message and some garbage (packet
marker) characters. 9600,N81 are the settings, probably want to disable
flow control too.

Jason