Subject: RE: NFS mounting of root filesystem on Assabet

From: Jeff Sutherland <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 16:56:59 -0400

> > Oh, NFS root filesystems do work on these kernels - my 
> EBSA110 is running
> > root-NFS'd ac19 at the moment (will be running ac22 later tonight).
> 
> The problem with Assabet is the ethernet device is PCMCIA.  
> So the initrd
> must contain the /linuxrc + PCMCIA tools to make a network 
> card actually
> apear before the real root FS i.e. NFS is mounted.  Thus the 
> real problem
> is executing /linuxrc, not NFS root.
> 
> 
> Nicolas

Right.  Step one is to uncompress and mount the ramdisk as root.  So far, so
good.  The error comes next when attempting to reopen the console on ttyS0.
If I ignore the error for the moment, the next thing that happens is the
open of linuxrc (which it finds), then it runs linuxrc which finishes
bringing up the network, then the root file system is unmounted, the nfs
file system is mounted as /, and (optionally) the ramdisk is remounted as
/initrd.  Then I should get a login prompt, but of course I get a kernel
panic because opening of pseudo device /dev/nfs I've disabled.  Something in
drivers/char/serial.c rs_open is getting hung up, hope to figure it out real
soon now...

//Jeff

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]