Subject: ARM720 problem?

From: Clive Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 08:37:03 -0700

The following appeared in the anouncement of the 2.4.0-test1-ac7-rmk1 path
release. Does anyone know if this was also a problem in 2.3.99-pre6-rmk1? If
so, any chance of a couple of pointers to the bits of code I need to change
(I don't really understand the description below, I'm afraid. 

TIA
Clive

>Things to watch out for:
>
>*	The ARM720 data abort code needs fixing up wrt the register
>	optimisations (r1 -> r3, r2 -> r1)

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: "Cliff Brake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 13:27:23 -0400

>>	optimisations (r1 -> r3, r2 -> r1)

Yes this does apply to pre6 also.  I think the following patch
implements the required fix.  I do not have my ARM720 system completely
up yet as it is having some problems running init after it loads it from
the ramdisk -- baddataabort() errors -- so there might still be some
problems.

Cliff

***********************************

--- linux/arch/arm/mm/proc-arm720.S	Thu Jun  1 15:47:59 2000
+++ linux-2.4.0-test1-ac6-rmk1-cpb2_hack/arch/arm/mm/proc-arm720.S	Fri
Jun  9 08:11:04 2000
@@ -121,8 +121,9 @@
 		addeq   r7, r0, r7, lsl #2              @ Do correction (signed)
 Ldata_saver7:	str     r7, [sp, r5, lsr #14]           @ Put register
 Ldata_simple:	mrc     p15, 0, r0, c6, c0, 0           @ get FAR
-		mrc	p15, 0, r1, c5, c0, 0		@ get FSR
-		and	r1, r1, #15
+		mrc	p15, 0, r3, c5, c0, 0		@ get FSR
+		and	r3, r3, #15
+		mov     r1, r2
 		mov	pc, lr

 ENTRY(cpu_arm720_data_abort)

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 18:31:55 +0100 (BST)

> the ramdisk -- baddataabort() errors -- so there might still be some

Right area, probably works, but not what I was expecting.  It's fixed in
the lastest and greatest 2.4.0test1-ac14-rmk1.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |            http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/            /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |