Subject: Serial options for a console

From: Vikas Datta <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 19:17:40 +0530 (IST)

Hello,

How do i give the serial options (for a serial console) in the kernel so
that the default serial port is COMM2 (/dev/ttyS0) and not COMM1. Which
file has to be modified for this. I am making the kernel for a cl-ps7500fe
target.

Thanks in advance,
Vikas

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: Peter Naulls <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 18:35:37 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>

> file has to be modified for this. I am making the kernel for a cl-ps7500fe

Why don't you swap the device numbers on /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/ttyS1?

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Peter Naulls - [email-masked]
 Homepage - http://free.prohosting.com/~chocky/
 Java for RISC OS and ARM - http://free.prohosting.com/~chocky/java/
 Debian Linux on RiscPCs - http://www.erble.freeserve.co.uk/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 09:02:31 +0100 (BST)

> file has to be modified for this. I am making the kernel for a cl-ps7500fe

Sounds like you're going about this the wrong way.

You can use:

	console=ttyS1,9600n8

to use the second serial port.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |            http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/            /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Jason Gunthorpe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 15:23:23 -0600 (MDT)

> to use the second serial port.

What would be nice is if that kernel command line CONFIG option were moved
into the main configuration so it could always be used (I think it is
hidden under a netwinder option?). Right now I haven't spent any time
working on finding/writing a more fancy boot loader that could do command
line options. 

Jason

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 22:27:26 +0100 (BST)

> working on finding/writing a more fancy boot loader that could do command

It only appears for architectures that want to use it.  If you have an
architecture that needs it, add the relevent test to the relevent if
statement in arch/arm/config.in.

It is incorrect for it to appear for all architectures, since it is not
used on all architectures.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |            http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/            /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Jason Gunthorpe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 15:45:01 -0600 (MDT)

> statement in arch/arm/config.in.

Thanks, I think I will do that.
 
> used on all architectures.

Hmm. I see how it works.. Wasn't how I thought.

Jason