Subject: Kernel config help text?

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 16:43:55 +0100 (BST)

Does anyone have any kernel configuration help text already written
for the following options?

CONFIG_SA1100_ASSABET
CONFIG_ASSABET_NEPONSET
CONFIG_SA1100_BITSY
CONFIG_SA1100_BRUTUS
CONFIG_SA1100_LART
CONFIG_SA1100_THINCLIENT
CONFIG_SA1100_GRAPHICSCLIENT
CONFIG_SA1100_VICTOR
CONFIG_PAGESIZE_16
CONFIG_CPU_ARM6
CONFIG_CPU_ARM7
CONFIG_CPU_SA110
CONFIG_DEBUG_LL
CONFIG_DEBUG_DC21285_PORT
CONFIG_SOUND_VIDC
CONFIG_FB_SA1100
CONFIG_FONT_ACORN_8x8
CONFIG_ACORN_PARTITION
CONFIG_ACORN_PARTITION_ICS
CONFIG_ACORN_PARTITION_ADFS
CONFIG_ACORN_PARTITION_POWERTEC
CONFIG_ACORN_PARTITION_RISCIX

If not, is anyone willing to write some help text for the above
options?
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |            http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/            /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: Tak-Shing Chan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 11:31:11 +0800 (CST)

> CONFIG_SA1100_ASSABET
Say Y here if you are using the Intel(R) StrongARM(R) SA-1110
Microprocessor Development Board (also known as the Assabet).

> CONFIG_FB_SA1100
This is a framebuffer device for the SA-1100 LCD Controller,
originally written by Eric A. Thomas.  See
http://www.linux-fbdev.org/ for information on framebuffer
devices.

If you plan to use the LCD display with your SA-1100 system, say
Y here.

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 15:34:50 +0100 (BST)

We still have the following symbols without descriptions:

CONFIG_ASSABET_NEPONSET
CONFIG_SA1100_BRUTUS
CONFIG_SA1100_LART
CONFIG_SA1100_THINCLIENT

Anyone willing to write some help text for the above options?
   _____

---

From: Doug Peterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 15:07:41 -0600

> CONFIG_SA1100_ASSABET
Maybe this should be changed to CONFIG_SA1110_ASSABET as the system uses a
SA-1110 not an SA-1100...  Also, I'm not positive but I thing the
Compaq iPAQ H3600 would also use this setting.  My contacts at Intel tell
me the iPAQ is basicly an Assabet.

Here is my shot on the following systems.

Say Y here if you are using the Intel(R) StrongARM(R) SA-1110
Microprocessor Development Board (Assabet)  with the SA-1111
Development Board (Nepon).

> CONFIG_SA1100_BRUTUS
Say Y here if you are using the Intel(R) StrongARM(R) SA-1100
Microprocessor Development Board (also known as the Brutus).

> CONFIG_SA1100_LART
Say Y here if you are using the Intel (R) StrongARM(R) SA-1100
based LART system. See http://www.lart.tudelft.nl/ for information
on the LART.

> CONFIG_SA1100_THINCLIENT
Say Y here if you are using an Applied Data Systems Intel(R) StrongARM(R)
SA-1100 based Thin Client SBC.  See http://www.flatpanels.com/ for
information on this system.

> CONFIG_SA1100_GRAPHICSCLIENT
Say Y here if you are using an Applied Data Systems Intel(R) StrongARM(R)
SA-1100 based Graphics Client SBC.  See http://www.flatpanels.com/ for
information on this system.

> CONFIG_SA1100_VICTOR
Say Y here if you are using a Visu Aide Intel(R) StrongARM(R)
SA-1100 based Victor Digital Talking Book Reader.
See http://www.visuaide.com/pagevictor.en.html for information on this
system.

I don't have any information of the following (yet).

> CONFIG_ACORN_PARTITION_RISCIX

-Doug

p.s.

Oh yea, Hi.  I'm new to the list.

---

From: Nicolas Pitre <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 21:24:35 -0400 (EDT)

> me the iPAQ is basicly an Assabet.

In this case the "SA1100" should be seen a the generic architecture name
which all SA11x0 CPUs have in common, like the "footbridge" or "ARC"
architectures under the generic ARM architecture. For the same reason you
can consider products using the 80386, 80486, Pentium and friends part of
the same architecture named "i386".

However the strict SA1100 CPU name appears in the bootlog and
/proc/cpuinfo.

Nicolas

---

From: Nicolas Pitre <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 21:45:38 -0400 (EDT)

> We still have the following symbols without descriptions:

Enabling this will add suport for the extra peripherals provided by
Assabet's expansion board called Neponset.  The safe answer is N.

Note that you can't use PCMCIA on a stand-alone Assabet with this option
enabled at the moment. This should not matter in the future.

WARNING:  never try to use PCMCIA on the Assabet board while the Neponset
expansion board is present at the risk of damaging your hardware.

> CONFIG_SA1100_THINCLIENT

The first lines provided in Documentation/arm/SA1100/* for the above names
could be used.

> CONFIG_SA1100_GRAPHICSCLIENT

The same text as for the ThinClient can be used.

Nicolas