Subject: RE: Floating Point Emulation

From: George France <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 12:07:23 -0400

I also do not understand. Maximum verbosity please.

--George

George France,      [email-masked]
Cambridge Research Laboratory, Compaq Computer Corporation
One Cambridgecenter    MS: CRL
Cambridge, MA 02142 USA

-----Original Message-----
From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, June 11, 2000 3:40 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Subject: Re: Floating Point Emulation

Mark Hatle writes:
> The regular -msoft-float uses an external libfloat library, having to
> use an external library for floating point is not the correct solution
> IMHO, especially when gcc provides the functionality internally.

Please explain what you mean more clearly.  AFAICR, GCC does not
provide any floating point emulation.  Without -msoft-float, GCC
will emit the hardware instructions for floating point operations,
and therefore you will need some floating point emulation code.

There are two possibilities:

1. Build with -msoft-float and use libfloat
2. Build without -msoft-float and use either the Acorn FPE or NWFPE.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |            http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/            /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: Felix Tang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 14:26:15 -0400 (EDT)

http://www.netwinder.org/~scottb/notes/FP-Notes-all.html

Give it a read, I think it will help clear up some things.

Felix