Subject: RE: char array, int pointer and cross boundary access

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 12:39:31 -0400

George France wrote:
> Scott Bambrough [mailto:[email-masked]] writes:
>
>>If a inexperienced user is going to play with the kernel, and use
experimental
>>features, they deserve what they get.  We only provide the gun, we don't
make
>>them use it.  I think if it is documented correctly, it should be ok.
>
>If our tone and attitude is going to be 'caveat emptor' then I agree with
>you fully. I was more thinking about the mailing list and the extra traffic
>that will be generated from people using the gun. It is not only the user
>that will suffer from the gun, but developers on the mailing list having to
>answer the same questions over and over and over and over again.

The same could be said about a good half the Experimental features.

If such an the option was put into the kernel, I'd mark it as
"(Testing Purposes Only)" and put it under either the
"Kernel Hacking" section or something similar. I'd also place the appropriate
description explaining it's use in the documentation used by the configuration
software.

It would be easier than having to explain to moderately experienced users
how to modify the kernel source in order to perform that type of testing.
If it's clearly marked, than it's not even a matter of 'caveat emptor', it's
more on the order of "you've been warned".
If someone chooses that option after being warned they deserve what
they get.

Erik Bunce

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: Scott Bambrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 12:58:15 -0400

> description explaining it's use in the documentation used by the configuration

Err, I was operating under the assumption that it would be added to the 'Kernel
Hacking' menu.  I don't advocate putting it anywhere else.  Sorry if that was
what everyone thought.

Scott

-- 
Scott Bambrough - Software Engineer
REBEL.COM    http://www.rebel.com
NetWinder    http://www.netwinder.org