Subject: gdb for embedded linux

From: Nguyen Xuan Hoang <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 20:41:42 +0800

Dear All,

I am trying to find out it is possible to debug linux kernel on an embedded system by using gdb ? what is the disadvantage of gdb comparing with ICE?
if I want to debug low level function (e.x: interrupt,DMA,...) can I use gdb? 

thank for any answer
Hoang

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: Nguyen Xuan Hoang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 17:47:59 +0800

Hi,

    So what tool you are using to develope the kernel? I am just start so I want to choose the right way. Please give me advice.

    Thank in advance
    Hoang

-----Original Message-----
From:	Russell King - ARM Linux Admin [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Tuesday, May 30, 2000 2:36 PM
To:	Nguyen Xuan Hoang
Cc:	[email-masked]'
Subject:	Re: gdb for embedded linux

To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  Don't do this.  Please wrap your message to at the most 75 columns.

Nguyen Xuan Hoang writes:
> I am trying to find out it is possible to debug linux kernel on an
> embedded system by using gdb ? what is the disadvantage of gdb
> comparing with ICE?

No - the Linux kernel does not allow any external debugging code to
be active on the system.  When the low level vectors are changed or
memory map switched, it normally makes the environment so different
that it is impossible for Angel to get a look in.

> if I want to debug low level function (e.x: interrupt,DMA,...)

Definitely not.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |            http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/            /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |