Subject: RE: char array, int pointer and cross boundary access

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 12:15:06 -0400

> Scott Bambrough [mailto:[email-masked]] writes:
>
>>If a inexperienced user is going to play with the kernel, and use
experimental
>>features, they deserve what they get.  We only provide the gun, we don't
make
>>them use it.  I think if it is documented correctly, it should be ok.
>
>If our tone and attitude is going to be 'caveat emptor' then I agree with
>you fully. I was more thinking about the mailing list and the extra traffic
>that will be generated from people using the gun. It is not only the user
>that will suffer from the gun, but developers on the mailing list having to
>answer the same questions over and over and over and over again.

The same could be said about a good half the experimental features.
The one addition I'd make is

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: George France <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 13:04:16 -0400

Scott Bambrough [mailto:[email-masked]] wrote:

>Don't get me wrong here.  I don't think our tone and attitude should be
"caveat
>emptor", but if it is under experimental that is implied (at least that is
the
>way I look at it).  If it wasn't under experimental I would adopt an
attitude
>very similar to yours.

Hello Scott;

I do not mind experimental code, in odd numbered kernels, in fact I
encourage it. I am just questioning adding experimental stuff that will end
up in 2.4.0. I would full support almost any experimental code into 2.5.0.
In this way the main stream users on the stable version do not have the gun,
beta users on the other hand can take their chances. The added benefit is
that the developers on the mailing list only have to answer questions from
the beta users, not the public at large.

I am sorry if I was not more clear before. 

--George

George France,      [email-masked]
Cambridge Research Laboratory, Compaq Computer Corporation
One Kendall Square, Building 700     MS: CRL
Cambridge, MA 02139 USA