Subject: How to let LP-E work on assabet?

From: "Chien-Min Lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 10:02:34 +0800 (CST)

Dear All:

  I have tried linux 2.3.99-pre8 to make the CF etnernet card LP-E work.
  I follow the sample configuration file 'linux-2.3.99-pre8-rmk1-np3-jd1.config'
  to configure my kernel source.
  However, after boot from assabet, I did not see any message about
  card service or CF LP-E card.
  I use the original ramdisk image ramdisk_img.gz .
  I also tried the ramdisk_pcmcia.gz one, but the image seems broken.

  Which ramdisk image should I use??

  Following is out ot topic:
  I use Netscape to download ramdisk_pcmcia.gz, and the size is 5133047 bytes.
  However, with IE to dowonload, its size changes to 7680000 bytes.
  And these two .gz are thought 'not in gzip format' by gzip...
  Is it normal??

  Thanks!

  kirk

--
----== Mailed via Openfind ==-----
http://mail2000.com.tw/ ���ѧK�O�� e-mail �H�c�A��

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 09:54:16 +0100 (BST)

>   And these two .gz are thought 'not in gzip format' by gzip...

I'd guess that IE is doing LF->CRLF translation on the gzip'd file,
rendering it utterly useless.  Check to see if you can turn this off,
or use a ftp or web client which doesn't do this translation to
download these files!
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |            http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/            /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: John G Dorsey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 13:25:33 -0400 (EDT)

>   card service or CF LP-E card.

As it currently stands, the kernel by itself does not implement the Card
Services functionality. (Although Nicolas has asked for this; maybe it
will partially happen in the next few days.) You must `make modules` and
place the resulting objects in your ramdisk, and then load them at
runtime. The ramdisk_pcmcia.gz image should give you a good starting point
for setting up your own ramdisk, if you like. (Note that the image on my
PCMCIA page was assembled for a kernel release which has recently become
out of date.  Once I make some more progress on Neponset, I'll refresh
that image.) 

-jd