Subject: RE: char array, int pointer and cross boundary access

From: George France <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 11:39:26 -0400

Hello Scott;

Even though I like the idea, at this time the ARM linux is mostly used by
researchers and other highly technical people. I think that in the future,
this will not be true. Do we really want to give the less experenced users,
the means to shoot themselves??

--George

George France,      [email-masked]
Cambridge Research Laboratory, Compaq Computer Corporation
One Kendall Square, Building 700     MS: CRL
Cambridge, MA 02139 USA

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Bambrough [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, May 05, 2000 11:25 AM
To: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin
Cc: Nicolas Pitre; zhu qun ying; Jim Studt; arm; sa1100; lart; Philip
Blundell
Subject: Re: char array, int pointer and cross boundary access

Russell King - ARM Linux Admin wrote:
> 
> Nicolas Pitre writes:
> > The idea is to debug misbehaving code.  Generating a SIGBUS is really
nice
> > to quickly spot where are the alignment abuses.  This is not intended
for
> > mainstream kernels.
> 
> In that case, what about hiding it under the kernel hacking options, so
that
> it can only be enabled when EXPERIMENTAL is also turned on?  Of course, it
> will have to display a message so when people complain that they're having
> problems its obvious why...

I like this idea myself.

Scott

-- 
Scott Bambrough - Software Engineer
REBEL.COM    http://www.rebel.com
NetWinder    http://www.netwinder.org

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: Scott Bambrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 11:45:31 -0400

> > problems its obvious why...

If a inexperienced user is going to play with the kernel, and use experimental
features, they deserve what they get.  We only provide the gun, we don't make
them use it.  I think if it is documented correctly, it should be ok.

Scott

---

From: "brad more" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 11:58:03 -0400

>  Do we really want to give the less experenced users, the means to shoot
themselves??

Speaking for the "less experienced" users ...

Yes.

We'd prefer you didn't attempt to "protect"  us.

By the way, some of us are actaully "highly technical" too...

r/Brad