Subject: Re: sa1100 memory limit?

From: "Erik Bunce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 22:07:37 -0400

[email-masked] wrote:
>
> This is the physical address space reserved for each bank.  However I
> doubt you can actually put 128 MB of RAM on a single bank.  Can you?

It is actually be relatively simple to get 128MB into a single bank using
256Mbit SDRAM in 32Meg x 8 configuration using 4 chips, or for the masochistic
among us using 128MBit SDRAM in 64Meg x 4 configuration using 8 chips.  In fact
if you look at Table 10-6 on page 10-30 of the "SA1110 Microprocessor Developers
Manual" it lists these and other possibilities for putting greater than 32MB in
each bank.  In fact all four banks could be filled up this way at 128 MB each
for a total physical memory size of 512MB.

Enjoy,
Erik

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: Nicolas Pitre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 00:29:38 -0400 (EDT)

> for a total physical memory size of 512MB.

This is amazing!  This is more than what my last PC could handle!!

Well... Gonna have to re-think the whole mapping to accomodate that
possibility... and Chris' as well.

Chris -> Can you survive with only 32 MB for a couple of days?

Nicolas

---

From: Chris Blazie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 08:29:45 -0400 (EDT)

> Chris -> Can you survive with only 32 MB for a couple of days?

	Absolutely; actually it won't be an issue for quite a long time.

Thanks,
Chris