Subject: loading init problem

From: "Cliff Brake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 12:37:10 -0400

I am having problems loading /sbin/init from a ramdisk using the
2.3.99-pre8-rmk1 arm kernel configured for the L7200 processor (all L7200
patches applied).  The ramdisk seems to load fine, but the kernel appears to
be crashing when loading the elf binary and gives the following message:

Internal error: alignment exception: 20000013

followed by a stack dump and backtrace.  The stack backtrace is:

padzero
load_elf_interp
load_elf_binary
search_binary_handlers
do_execve
sys_execve

I am using a trimmed down version of one of Nicolas Pitre's ramdisk images.
Any ideas as to what is going wrong here?  Are there any known issues w/ the
L7200/ARM720 code that might apply to this problem?

Thanks,
Cliff

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 21:03:49 +0100 (BST)

> Internal error: alignment exception: 20000013

Well, it appears that the alignment trap is turned on in the control register,
but there's no fixup.

This can not happen in 2.3.99-pre8-rmk1, so I guess that you've got
2.3.99-pre8-rmk1 plus other patches, and therefore can't comment without
more information (and source).
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |            http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/            /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: "Cliff Brake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 10:40:36 -0400

>more information (and source).

Found the problem.  cpu_arm720_data_abort() was passing a bogus fsr value to
do_DataAbort().  The do_DataAbort() was then interpreting a normal page
fault as an alignment exception.

Cliff

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 09:04:58 +0100 (BST)

> fault as an alignment exception.

This was in my last release note.  There's a little more that needs to be
done than just correcting the register that the fsr is passed in.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |            http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/            /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |