Subject: NetWinder WaveArtist broken in -pre3-rmk3?

From: lars brinkhoff <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Apr 2000 21:58:24 +0200

Sound worked perfectly in -pre3-rmk1, but seems to be broken in
-pre3-rmk3.

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: Ralph Siemsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 16:23:36 -0400

> Sound worked perfectly in -pre3-rmk1, but seems to be broken in

It's working just fine for me, with -pre3-rmk3.  Has the occasional
hicckup due to DMA issues, the way to fix that is to turn off the hard
disk DMA (yes, really).

-- 
Ralph Siemsen -- [email-masked]

---

From: lars brinkhoff <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Apr 2000 23:44:30 +0200

Ralph Siemsen <[email-masked]> writes:
> It's working just fine for me, with -pre3-rmk3. 

Oh, must be something else then.  Temporary, I hope.

> Has the occasional hicckup due to DMA issues, the way to fix that is
> to turn off the hard disk DMA (yes, really).

Once I tried turning on DMA, but the driver turned it off by itself
as soon as it started to I/O.  Could this be beacuse I have quite an
old winder?  It's pre-rebel, revision 52ff.

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 22:44:24 +0100 (BST)

> old winder?  It's pre-rebel, revision 52ff.

Even with a rev.5 NetWinder, disk DMA still affects the sound.  However,
if you want to get some extra PIO performance, try (at your own risk):

	hdparm -c1 /dev/hda

to turn on 32-bit PIO mode.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |            http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/            /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

---

From: Ralph Siemsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 18:12:27 -0400

> old winder?  It's pre-rebel, revision 52ff.

That sounds like the behaviour you'd get with the older 553 chip (ide
controller).  It won't do DMA to the disk unfortunately.