Subject: RE: RFC: arch/arm/{machine-type}

From: George France <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 10:56:37 -0400

Hello Russell;

The only change I would make is SA1100 to SA11xx.

--George

George France,      [email-masked]
Cambridge Research Laboratory, Compaq Computer Corporation
One Kendall Square, Building 700     MS: CRL
Cambridge, MA 02139 USA

-----Original Message-----
From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2000 12:30 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: RFC: arch/arm/{machine-type}

Pat Beirne writes:
> It makes sense to me. When would this happen? 2.5.x? or 2.3.x?

I'm planning it imminently - most of it isn't functional - it's just a
matter of re-arranging the files which would be acceptable for 2.3.xx.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |            http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/            /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to
[email-masked]

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 18:34:00 +0100 (BST)

> The only change I would make is SA1100 to SA11xx.

Sounds logical.  Just hope no one invents as SA1198 which isn't SA11[10]0
compatible ;)
   _____

---

From: Nicolas Pitre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 14:27:28 -0400 (EDT)

> The only change I would make is SA1100 to SA11xx.

This could be questionnable.  i386 architectures are still named so even
if support extended beyond 80386 processors.  This is also true for most
device drivers which extended their support to chipsets of the same
family.  So we could leave "sa1100" as the generic name for that
architecture otherwise we'll end up renaming everything as soon as the 'x'
doesn't mask all variants.

Nicolas