Subject: ch-ch-ch-changes...

From: Chris Blazie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 09:18:28 -0400 (EDT)

I'm looking for a bit of general advice from experienced kernel
developers.  Are there any clever techniques for integrating any changes I
make to a kernel/patch version with new patch versions as they come in?  I
understand that in some cases, doing it by hand is the only way to go.
But with so many different groups working on the same project I figured
there might be some diff/patch tricks to make it easier.

Regards,
Chris

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: Nicolas Pitre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 10:22:36 -0400 (EDT)

> there might be some diff/patch tricks to make it easier.

Since you work on SA1100, here what you could do:

	mkdir 2.3.99-pre3-rmk3-np2
	cd 2.3.99-pre3-rmk3-np2
	tar -xzf linux-2.3.99-pre3.tar.gz
	zcat patch-2.3.99-pre3-rmk3.gz | patch -p0
	zcat diff-2.3.99-pre3-rmk3-np2.gz | patch -p0
	cp -a linux linux.orig

Now you have two copies of the source tree.  Make your changes in linux/
but keep linux.orig/ untouched.  When you are done:

	diff -urN linux.orig linux > my_changes.diff

When you want to use a newer source tree, just repeat the steps above in
another directory and apply your my_changes.diff patch you created from
the previous source tree.  Apply your own patch only after you copied
linux/ to linux.orig/.

Most probably your patch won't apply completely without some rejects.  To
find them:

	find linux -name \*.rej

Look at those files to see what couldn't be automatically applied.
Probably the context changed so you must apply those changes by hand.
Typically, you shouldn't have too much rejects to deal with.  When your
kernel compiles and actually runs, you can delete the previous version's
directory if you wish.

When you are done with tthat version, extract your changes like shown
above and repeat the procedure with a new tree.

When you are satisfied with your changes, you just have to send me your
my_changes.diff patch file so I can merge it with my patch, ensure it
doesn't clash with other people's SA1100 work and forward it to Russell
eventually.

Nicolas

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 15:20:25 +0100 (BST)

> doesn't clash with other people's SA1100 work and forward it to Russell

You wouldn't like to edit this into a more general procedure, and I'll
add it to the developer pages, would you?
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |            http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/            /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |