Subject: New ports for the ARM kernel

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 22:38:56 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

Well, Linux kernel 2.4 is imminent, and I'm still seeing talk on the
mailing list about using 2.2.14 to start a new port.

While 2.2.14 has been around for some time, it is feature-lacking to put
it mildly compared with the current state of the 2.3 kernels.  One feature
which seems to be appearing recently is about uncacheable DMA areas.

This area has been dealt with in 2.3 kernels, and is becoming an integral
part of most PCI device drivers.  However, the solution is not limited
to just PCI device drivers, but any device driver you happen to think of.

It is now my belief that any new port should follow the 2.3 kernels (if
there are any more to be released, it looks like we may just have a
2.3.52) which will then lead into 2.4.  In fact, I'd suggest the following
when doing the initial port:

 1. Use a stable kernel (eg, 2.2.14) to get the basic functionality
    going (ie boots, keyboard/display works whatever it may be).

 2. Move to a development kernel as soon as possible, especially if you
    have some weird hardware which needs features present in these kernels,
    but not present in the older stable kernel.

    This should make your life easier, since you don't have to implement
    things twice.  You may also come up with a better way of doing
    something which hasn't been thought of - the development kernels
    are the right place for these things to happen.

I shall be putting something to this effect up on the ARM Linux developer
site shortly.  The aim behind the developer site is to collect useful
hints and tips about developing ARM Linux.  Feel free to contribute if
you have any suggestions.    
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |            http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/            /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** sorry, missing articles, archive broke  -- rmk ***