Subject: patches for ARM Linux

From: George France <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 18:38:35 -0500

It appears to me that the patches for the ARM Linux kernel are getting
bigger and bigger.  Since there is an ARM arch section in the main Linux
distribution, why are the patches not being applied to the main kernel
distribution rather than getting larger and larger?  Please enlighten me.

Best Regards,

--George

George France,      [email-masked]
Cambridge Research Laboratory, Compaq Computer Corporation
One Kendall Square, Building 700     MS: CRL
Cambridge, MA 02139 USA

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 23:51:14 +0000 (GMT)

> distribution rather than getting larger and larger?  Please enlighten me.

Because it takes time for me to say "they're ready" - the next patch should
be smaller again.

The size of the patches will go up and down - this is natural.  The ARM
development tree (or the Alpha, sparc etc) can never be totally in sync
with Linus' kernels.
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |