Subject: Getting the kernel to boot on the EBSA-285

From: "Brandewie, Dirk J" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 18:56:55 -0800

Hi All,

I am hoping someone will be able to point out where I am brain
damaged.  I am trying to use the EBSA-285 as a co-processor
"CONFIG_ARCH_CO285"

Here is how I got where I am

1. Built cross development tools ( binutils-2.9.5.0.22 gcc-2.95.2 
   glibc-2.1.2)all seem to work fine.

2. Built Bios v1.06.  Loaded onto board.  boots and runs fine.

3. Added driver to the BIOS so the kernel could be copied into
   memory on the EBSA-285.  The driver works will try to get it
   into shape to be added to the distribution

4. Configured and built zImage with arm-linux patches Linux-2.3.29.
   No problems here.

5. Copied the image onto the board and tried to boot it. 

Here is where I am confused.  The image starts to boot but dies
when trying execute  "bl SYMBOL_NAME(decompress_kernel).  I added a 
putc() call as the first thing in decompress kernel nothing ever
appears.  I added a putc() as the first statement in decompress_kernel()
and nothing appears on the terminal.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom on how to track down why the
image is falling over. I will start sifting through the binary to
see if there is a code generation problem but I doubt it since the
same tools created a working BIOS.

BTW I believe there is a bug in arch-ebsa285/uncompress.h
Line 19 reads "while (DC21285_BASE[6] & 8);"  I think someone meant
to say "while (DC21285_BASE[6] & 10);" if the code was meant to 
wait for the transmit FIFO to be un-busy

Thanks in advance
--Dirk

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]