Subject: Re: 3c905B NIC + EBSA?

From: Francois Desloges <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 11:06:14 -0500

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Philip Blundell wrote:
> >I'v read somewhere in the july Mailing List Archive that people were having
> >problems with 3Com 3c905B NIC on the EBSA285?
> >Anybody knows the recent status of success/failure with 3c905B + EBSA285 ?
> 
> I think the cache coherency stuff was missing at the time.  It seems to be 
> present now so I guess it should work, though I haven't tried it myself.
> 
> Are you having trouble?

Well it's not kernel trouble, yet! It's BIOS trouble. With either 3c905-TX
(device == 9050) or 3c905B (device == 9055)

I can of course easily have the BIOS probe the cards right by adding
appropriate 

>  if (!pci_config_base)
>		pci_config_base = pci_lookup_vendor_device(0x10b7, 0x905x);
	
statements.

When it tries to do_bootp() however, it reports me the right MAC address of the
cards, but nothing gets out of the NIC (we listen at the other end with
tcpdump).

I guess the 3c59x family and the 3c905 family are different enough for the BIOS
not to work?

-- 
François Desloges
[email-masked]

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm-kernel' to [email-masked]

---

From: Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 17:51:37 +0000 (GMT)

> I guess the 3c59x family and the 3c905 family are different enough for the BIOS

I guess so.  I don't have any info on the 3c905 family, apart from the Linux
source.

And before someone starts talking about cache coherency, please forget it -
the BIOS is not that inteligent, and it hand-loads the packets on to and off
of the card.

Are you using 10bT?  If so, do you get the heartbeat on the link?  (check the
LEDs on the card and hub).
   _____
  |_____| ------------------------------------------------- ---+---+-
  |   |        Russell King       [email-masked]      --- ---
  | | | |  http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  | +-+-+                                                     --- -+-
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\
 /  | | |                                                     ---  |
    +-+-+ -------------------------------------------------  /\\\  |